PDA

View Full Version : Probably the best thing that Cann has done this year

lamont
04-23-2017, 10:12 AM
is show our fanbase that you can make the correct hire to replace a Coach at State before they absolutely wreck the program. The answer to every coaching thread is no longer "Rick Ray". Cann has shown that a John Cohen or a Dan Mullen can absolutely be replaced with someone as good or better when a sensible choice is made.

It's also shown that hiring up and coming SEC coaches is a good move. Georgia and Fla have gone this route for their football HC's and are having success as well. Auburn is as well. It's not fool-proof though as Muschamp failed at Fla- but he has gotten off to a good start SC.

Thanks Cann for killing the "Rick Ray" mantra of replacing a coach at State

msstate7
04-23-2017, 10:21 AM
I missed the fire Mullen threads**

BrunswickDawg
04-23-2017, 10:22 AM
https://68.media.tumblr.com/24345ae55436fce83587f052730ba8b3/tumblr_mlhle80VEU1r6v9k0o1_500.gif

WinningIsRelentless
04-23-2017, 10:31 AM
You are correct to a degree. But running a successful coach off makes hiring a up and comer harder. But I have 1000x more faith in cohen making a successful hire than I ever did of Strickland

Quaoarsking
04-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Surely you're not talking about Kirby Smart, who has been a massive bust so far and might get fired after we beat them in week 4?

shoeless joe
04-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Part of this is the fact that Cohen did the hiring. He knew 100% who he wanted. He knew what we needed and what cann brought to the table. Having a successful coach, who was in that position so recently, making the hire was a big plus. Also, having Henderson, another Cohen hire, has made an immense difference in a lot of what we've seen from this team...not only on the pitching side. I'm sure his experience and success has been invaluable to cann.

Now...I do expect to still see some growing pains for cann but all in all I like the direction we're heading.

lamont
04-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Surely you're not talking about Kirby Smart, who has been a massive bust so far and might get fired after we beat them in week 4?

No- I'm talking about the Kirby Smart that took over a very young team and a true freshman QB- won his bowl game- signed a top 3 class- and will be ranked in the top 10 this preseason

HSVDawg
04-23-2017, 10:50 AM
is show our fanbase that you can make the correct hire to replace a Coach at State before they absolutely wreck the program. The answer to every coaching thread is no longer "Rick Ray". Cann has shown that a John Cohen or a Dan Mullen can absolutely be replaced with someone as good or better when a sensible choice is made.

It's also shown that hiring up and coming SEC coaches is a good move. Georgia and Fla have gone this route for their football HC's and are having success as well. Auburn is as well. It's not fool-proof though as Muschamp failed at Fla- but he has gotten off to a good start SC.

Good post. I do think the jury is still very much out on McIlwain and Smart though.

SDDawg
04-23-2017, 10:50 AM
No- I'm talking about the Kirby Smart that took over a very young team and a true freshman QB- won his bowl game- signed a top 3 class- and will be ranked in the top 10 this preseason

I think Kirby is more Mullen than Saban - that's not a knock really, it's just a level set on expectations. I see him as an 8 - 4 coach this year, which is about what they had with Richt most years.

smootness
04-23-2017, 10:54 AM

Besides us having no real idea that Smart or McElwain will be successful long-term...did Mullen himself not prove you can have success here hiring an up-and-comer?

msstate7
04-23-2017, 10:55 AM
I think Kirby is more Mullen than Saban - that's not a knock really, it's just a level set on expectations. I see him as an 8 - 4 coach this year, which is about what they had with Richt most years.

In 15 years, richt lost 4 regular season games 3 times and only 1 time was it 5

smootness
04-23-2017, 10:55 AM

8-4 at UGA is not the same as 8-4 at State.

lamont
04-23-2017, 11:01 AM
and might get fired after we beat them in week 4?

Why? Because Mullen did so well against Kirby Smart defenses in the past?

msstate7
04-23-2017, 11:01 AM

10-2 at Georgia = 8-4 here

msstate7
04-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Why? Because Mullen did so well against Kirby Smart defenses in the past?
Who knew smart was the secret to bama defenses. I always thought it was Saban

Quaoarsking
04-23-2017, 11:06 AM

They won't be ranked in the top 10, or at all, in the postseason, which is all that counts.

The real question is whether Smart coaches them in their low-level bowl game or if he's already fired by then

I seen it dawg
04-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Damn smart fired that's strong...Mullen to Georgia.

Quaoarsking
04-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Yeah, if you rank the last 16 seasons at Georgia (Richt was HC for 15 years), Smart's season was at best 13th, probably 15th.

Don't expect it to be any better in 2017. Richt left Smart a whole bunch of good recruiting classes, so it's not like 2016 was an aberration due to a lack of talent that wasn't Smart's fault

BrunswickDawg
04-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Yeah, if you rank the last 16 seasons at Georgia (Richt was HC for 15 years), Smart's season was at best 13th, probably 15th.

Don't expect it to be any better in 2017. Richt left Smart a whole bunch of good recruiting classes, so it's not like 2016 was an aberration due to a lack of talent that wasn't Smart's fault
Ray Goff 2.0

lamont
04-23-2017, 11:14 AM

Georgia is going to run the same exact D that Bama does. Smart was making the defensive calls.

lamont
04-23-2017, 11:16 AM
They won't be ranked in the top 10, or at all, in the postseason, which is all that counts.

The real question is whether Smart coaches them in their low-level bowl game or if he's already fired by then

Georgia wins at least 10 this Fall

Mobile Bay
04-23-2017, 11:18 AM

I always thought it was the Red Elephant Club.

LC Dawg
04-23-2017, 11:23 AM
I don't know how Cohen will do hiring for other sports but he's been damn impressive hiring baseball coaches. 3 of the current top 4 teams in the SEC have head coaches that have been hired by Cohen and the 4th has a pitching coach that has been hired by Cohen. Hopefully all his future hires are this successful.

lamont
04-23-2017, 11:24 AM

Richt went 6-6 in 2010

4 of Richt's last 7 seasons Georgia lost 4 or more games

Quaoarsking
04-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Richt went 6-6 in 2010

Yes, 2010 is the one season of Richt's 15 that was clearly worse than Smart's 2016. 2009 and 2013 are debatable (I would say 2009 was a little worse and 2013 much better) and the other 12 are inarguably better.

lamont
04-23-2017, 11:30 AM

They had a true freshman QB, a weak OL, and a young defense. They were 4th in Total D (5th in scoring) in the SEC and should be improved on D with all the starters returning- plus a 5-star DL add. Winner of the Georgia-Fla game wins the East this Fall

AROB44
04-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Actually it is for some people. We have some who bitch and complain if we go 8-4.

bobcat91
04-23-2017, 12:05 PM
I love revisionist history, and I'm not talking about the OP per say. The amount of bitching on this and other sites over not getting a HC to replace Cohen was everywhere. This is MSU baseball by God and if its not true that we were going to hire Corbin, then we made a terrible hire, etc., etc. Cann was a great hire and simply goes to show that you can hire a hot assistant instead of a proven/retread coach and be successful.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2017, 12:16 PM

I'd like a piece of this action especially since we don't count bowl wins around here.

SDDawg
04-23-2017, 12:28 PM

I would love a friendly wager on this one. I think the over/under is 8.5 for Kirby and I'm taking the under.

Commercecomet24
04-23-2017, 12:31 PM
I'd like a piece of this action especially since we don't count bowl wins around here.

Excellent!

msstate7
04-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Richt went 6-6 in 2010

Good catch... should've known that

As for last part, I thought you didn't count bowls... you counted 10-4 season in '11 with sec championship loss and bowl loss as 4-loss season

Ari Gold
04-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Best thing about Cann..
He is and WANTS to be a coach. He is a 100% baseball guy. He is all in. Cohen obviously wasn't and hadn't been all in as a coach for the last few years. Saying that probs to JC and his first Hire as AD in Cann.
We upgraded the head coach position in baseball and as of now I will admit Cohen has been a very good hire as AD not to mention the hires that were made in football.
We upgraded the AD position as well.

Todd4State
04-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Best thing about Cann..
He is and WANTS to be a coach. He is a 100% baseball guy. He is all in. Cohen obviously wasn't and hadn't been all in as a coach for the last few years. Saying that probs to JC and his first Hire as AD in Cann.
We upgraded the head coach position in baseball and as of now I will admit Cohen has been a very good hire as AD not to mention the hires that were made in football.
We upgraded the AD position as well.

If one of our coaches isn't all in about MSU in any sport I want them gone. I'm glad Cohen is a lot more sensible about stepping down from baseball coach than his predecessor. I'm also glad he didn't leave the program in a flaming heap that had to be rebuilt.

Cohen rebuilt our baseball program and we should be thankful for that. I think Cannizaro will take us the last step. He had beyond exceeded my expectations. His growing pains as a coach I think were mostly due to not having been here for most of the fall and just not knowing quite what we had as a team. And now that he does know we've taken off.

confucius say
04-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Richt went 6-6 in 2010

Bwahahaha. So postseason losses count against a coach record when it helps your argument, but bowl wins don't count for Mullen!? Geez 🙄

msbulldog
04-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Damn smart fired that's strong...Mullen to Georgia.

I seen it, if Mullen has a good enough season to make him attractive to Georgia, the coaching job at MSU becomes very attractive.

preachermatt83
04-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Hiring a coach for MSU baseball is completely different than hiring one for MSU football. Apples to oranges

bulldogcountry1
04-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Reading the thread title, I expected this thread to be about Cannizaro benching "Belmont" a couple games.

lamont
04-23-2017, 01:18 PM

reminds me of last year when people around here were saying Gus was going to be fired and no way State would have a losing season...

lamont
04-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Good catch... should've known that

As for last part, I thought you didn't count bowls... you counted 10-4 season in '11 with sec championship loss and bowl loss as 4-loss season

I dont count bowls for preseason predictions- no way to know who your bowl opponent will be. Big difference in playing Miami of Ohio and Oklahoma in a bowl

Ifyouonlyknew
04-23-2017, 01:21 PM
reminds me of last year when people around here were saying Gus was going to be fired and no way State would have a losing season...

Is that a yes or no?

lamont
04-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Is that a yes or no?

You are already in on it- you are clearly in the "no they wont" section

msstate7
04-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Georgia '17...

App st
At ND
Samford
Miss state
At tenn
At vandy
Missouri
At Florida
South Carolina
At auburn
Kentucky
At GT

Put me in the under 10

BayouDawg
04-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Georgia '17...

App st
At ND
Samford
Miss state
At tenn
At vandy
Missouri
At Florida
South Carolina
At auburn
Kentucky
At GT

Put me in the under 10

That's a pretty soft schedule. i don't see any game that jumps out as a for sure loss. But then again UGA always finds a way to crap a game or two away they have no business losing.

Quaoarsking
04-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Even optimistically that looks like an 8-4 type schedule, and that's if they don't lose to teams like Notre Dame, Vanderbilt (who beat them last year), Kentucky (they needed a last second FG to beat UK last year), etc

Quaoarsking
04-23-2017, 01:53 PM
The East is worse than the West used to be in basketball. A whole division of soft patsies who all choke every big game away.

Pinkel and McElwain's division titles don't mean anything more than Stansbury's.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Georgia will have a good year due to a Charmin soft East...but they won't win 10 games.

Uncle Ruckus
04-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Richt went 6-6 in 2010

Wrong. Try 4 of Richt's last FOURTEEN seasons
Using your dumb logic that bowl games don't count as wins, then they sure as shit don't count as losses either. '09 - 8-4, '10 - 6-6, '11 - 10-3, '12 11-2, '13 8-4, '14 9-3, '15 9-3. That's 3/7 seasons with at least 4 losses. But, since you like to throw out random (albeit wrong) time frames, I will too. Richt only lost 4 or more games 3 times in his last 9 seasons. Richt only lost 4 or more games 4 times in his last FOURTEEN seasons.

lamont
04-23-2017, 03:54 PM
A) You dumb****s need to get better at reading comprehension. Bowl games count- never said likewise. But as far as SEASON PREDICTIONS go- they don't. You can't make a prediction before the season on a bowl game not knowing if a team will be in one or not- or who they might play.

B) I was showing that the 2nd half of Richt's tenure was not nearly as good as the beginning- which can't be disputed. You ****ers get riled up about the weirdest things

C) worst case for Georgia is 9-3 with losses to ND, Auburn, and Florida. I think they will beat either ND or Fla

confucius say
04-23-2017, 04:09 PM
A) You dumb****s need to get better at reading comprehension. Bowl games count- never said likewise. But as far as SEASON PREDICTIONS go- they don't. You can't make a prediction before the season on a bowl game not knowing if a team will be in one or not- or who they might play.

B) I was showing that the 2nd half of Richt's tenure was not nearly as good as the beginning- which can't be disputed. You ****ers get riled up about the weirdest things

C) worst case for Georgia is 9-3 with losses to ND, Auburn, and Florida. I think they will beat either ND or Fla

Haha. BS. You have said numerous times you don't count bowl wins on a coach's (Mullen's) record or on the number of victories Mullen had in a particular season. You have never limited it to preseason predictions. It's not a big deal, but it is hypocritical of you.

msstate7
04-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Haha. BS. You have said numerous times you don't count bowl wins on a coach's (Mullen's) record or on the number of victories Mullen had in a particular season. You have never limited it to preseason predictions. It's not a big deal, but it is hypocritical of you.

"Look you dumb****s need to pay attention. Bowl games only count for coaches I like and not the ones I want fired." Random

Uncle Ruckus
04-23-2017, 04:13 PM

You're the dumbass who refused to acknowledge our bowl wins when talking about previous records. Any time you compile lists of Mullen's wins you don't include bowl victories. But we get it, you can pick and choose whatever you want to fit your agenda and will argue with a ******* deaf, mute and blind person until you get the last word.

Dawg61
04-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Mullen averages more wins than you said was possible for any coach at MSU. Your words not mine. Why you want him fired so bad when he is literally doing the impossible according to you. You said 7 wins was the BEST we could ever hope for as an average for a football coach here.

confucius say
04-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Mullen averages more wins than you said was possible for any coach at MSU. Your words not mine. Why you want him fired so bad when he is literally doing the impossible according to you. You said 7 wins was the BEST we could ever hope for as an average for a football coach here.

He doesn't want Mullen fired, he'd just prefer Mullen leave.

Mullen has averaged 7.62 wins a year. It has been a good run. Even without bowls, it's 7.0 a year.

thedawginme
04-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Swing and miss.

Dawg61
04-23-2017, 05:04 PM
he'd just prefer Mullen leave.

why tho when he is accomplishing something C34 said was impossible for ANY football coach to accomplish at MSU?

smootness
04-23-2017, 05:06 PM
This whole thread is meant to show that hiring an up-and-comer can work at State.

Of course it can. Again, look at Mullen.

Quaoarsking
04-23-2017, 05:19 PM

So Georgia can't lose to teams like Tennessee or Vanderbilt (teams that beat the oh mighty Kirby Smart last year) even in the worst case scenario, not to mention us, but they still might lose to Notre Dame, who went 4-8 last year with a 1st round QB that's now gone??

confucius say
04-23-2017, 05:41 PM
why tho when he is accomplishing something C34 said was impossible for ANY football coach to accomplish at MSU?

No clue. Just what he said.

dawgday166
04-23-2017, 08:15 PM

You and I both haven't been giving credit to Dan's bowl wins in the final tally of wins/losses.

dawgday166
04-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Cann has "WOW'd me".
Vic has "WOW'd me".

Dan did ok in 2010 and came close to WOWing me in 2014. He still hasn't WOW'd me yet tho. Mostly due to all the accolades and his reputation as a hotshot offensive guru. I'm underwhelmed in that regard. 1 season in 8 doesn't live up to his lofty reputation.

ETA: Of course half this board was down on Cann earlier this year and Vic in first year maybe first couple with Vic. Such lofty expectations for 1st/2nd year coaches and such low expectations for our 8th year coach (we got the best coach money can buy while "we good losing 4 sec w games every year").

Same with Smart ... half board think he's gonna flop. I don't know if he will or won't, but he just got there. He needs a little time to get his system and players in place.

Covercorner2
04-23-2017, 08:39 PM

LOL. Muschamp went 6-7 last year.

confucius say
04-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Some don't realize it is much more difficult for us to win in football than any other sport. Always has been, always will be. And to the OP's original point, I'm not saying we couldn't do better than Mullen. But I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the league sans saban.

dawgday166
04-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Some don't realize it is much more difficult for us to win in football than any other sport. Always has been, always will be. And to the OP's original point, I'm not saying we couldn't do better than Mullen. But I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the league sans saban.

I would probably agree on not trading Dan for any coach in the league other than Saban. I think the verdict is still out on Smart and McE tho.

But to speak to your "some don't realize it's more difficult point". You just made my point for me ... all the other coaches suck and we don't play McE or Smart (yet). When the opportunity has been there against those coaches who suck, negotiating contracts seemed more important to Dan. And I also believe the offensive numbers should be much better under Dan than they are.

ETA: When Vic got his ass handed to him ... he just went to work and kept doing so. Now we'll see how he handles success from here.

Cann was dealt about the crappiest hand this year you could be dealt with all the injuries. He didn't complain, he just figured it out. He doesn't seem to be about a litany of excuses like some of our coaches can be. What he's done is pretty much a miracle IMO.

confucius say
04-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Verdict is still out on smart. Not so much on McE.

dawgday166
04-23-2017, 09:52 PM
McE only been there 2 years ... and won the East both years. Maybe he won't turn out so hot ... but that's pretty good starting out.

ETA: There's those lofty expectations for 1st and 2nd year coaches again SMH.

GTHOM
04-23-2017, 10:00 PM
They had a true freshman QB, a weak OL, and a young defense. They were 4th in Total D (5th in scoring) in the SEC and should be improved on D with all the starters returning- plus a 5-star DL add. Winner of the Georgia-Fla game wins the East this Fall

Winning the SEC east isnt saying a whole lot. Mizzou is trash, SC is coming up with Bentley but they arent ready yet, Vandy is Vandy and I'll buy into Tennessee being good again when I see it. UGA and UF wouldnt do diddly in the west. And dont even bring up UF beating LSU if Guice runs the right way on 3rd down and goal LSU wins. LSU is going to beat UF this year and UGA is gonna have its hands full with us and Auburn. We will beat UK (should have last year) and Alabama will skull drag whoever they see in the SECTG.

lamont
04-24-2017, 05:39 AM
This whole thread is meant to show that hiring an up-and-comer can work at State.

Of course it can. Again, look at Mullen.

agreed

confucius say
04-24-2017, 07:35 AM
McE only been there 2 years ... and won the East both years. Maybe he won't turn out so hot ... but that's pretty good starting out.

ETA: There's those lofty expectations for 1st and 2nd year coaches again SMH.

The east sucked both years. Has since 2010. It's why Bama beat the breaks of McE both years in SEC title game. McE will be solid and steady but he ain't winning like spurrier and Meyer did at fla.

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 07:43 AM
But to speak to your "some don't realize it's more difficult point". You just made my point for me ... all the other coaches suck and we don't play McE or Smart (yet). When the opportunity has been there against those coaches who suck, negotiating contracts seemed more important to Dan.

And I also believe the offensive numbers should be much better under Dan than they are.

How long you gonna keep punishing Dan for looking around 2-3 years ago? Remember when he did Old Missus hadn't gotten into any hot water yet for their shady recruiting that landed them the #3 class. Wouldn't you get kinda fed up if your biggest rival was cheating their asses off and not getting into any trouble for it? That's changed now so Dan should be giddy to stay here and kick them while they are down plus we have priced him out of the market. He is ours and ours alone at $4.5 mill a year.

Dan owns every ****ing offensive record ever at MSU as a head coach. Be happy with that. His QB he developed starts for the Dallas Cowboys. Be happy with that. Our current QB is on the heisman watch list and led the entire country in yards the last 8 games. Be happy with that. To bitch about our offense and want more is kinda like bitching about Kate Upton's tits being slightly uneven.

Schultzy
04-24-2017, 07:48 AM
Eason will be a bust for UGA so if the #2 QB doesn't step up, Kirby's path to success may take a little longer.

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2017, 07:57 AM
How long you gonna keep punishing Dan for looking around 2-3 years ago? Remember when he did Old Missus hadn't gotten into any hot water yet for their shady recruiting that landed them the #3 class. Wouldn't you get kinda fed up if your biggest rival was cheating their asses off and not getting into any trouble for it? That's changed now so Dan should be giddy to stay here and kick them while they are down plus we have priced him out of the market. He is ours and ours alone at $4.5 mill a year.

Dan owns every ****ing offensive record ever at MSU as a head coach. Be happy with that. His QB he developed starts for the Dallas Cowboys. Be happy with that. Our current QB is on the heisman watch list and led the entire country in yards the last 8 games. Be happy with that. To bitch about our offense and want more is kinda like bitching about Kate Upton's tits being slightly uneven.

I do think Dan was sick of the cheating and might have looked to get out of the SEC. I can't blame him. We got into more trouble for listening to Cam's dad than Auburn did for buying him out from under us. Then of course the whole spending spree UNM has been on buying whatever MSU commit they could at the deadline. It caused us to end up with our plan C or D rather than B. I think if Mullen wasn't the 15th highest paid coach or whatever he is then someone would have already gotten him. I think the last year he looks a little more energized. He has made some great coaching hires and has some great QBs with hopefully another coming next year. We are about to be QB U and that is big when it is the most important position on the field.

GTHOM
04-24-2017, 08:24 AM

I bitch about how we underachieved in 15 and Mullen probably cost us a couple wins last year at least due to Holloway up the middle, keeping a ridiculous QB controversy going, and meddling in the defense after he hired a shit show of a DC

BB30
04-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Ha ha... Comparing us making a hire for our baseball program and making one for our football team is apples to oranges. One we actually have a pretty solid history in, the other has been a cellar dweller for the majority of our program's history. Mullen was a terrific hire, that being said, I don't know if Smart would have left Bama for State and I don't know if Mc would have been successful here. He has been alright at UF, not that impressive. IMO Mullen would have been a better hire for the UF job.

HSVDawg
04-24-2017, 08:46 AM
LOL. Muschamp went 6-7 last year.

In the East, too. He is an awful coach and a very poor example of the original point of the post (which I do agree with).

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 09:02 AM
I bitch about how we underachieved in 15 and Mullen probably cost us a couple wins last year at least due to Holloway up the middle, keeping a ridiculous QB controversy going, and meddling in the defense after he hired a shit show of a DC

Mullen isn't perfect and we will never hire a perfect coach either

lamont
04-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Muschamp went 6-6 and got his team to a bowl game. Nobody expected SC to be bowl eligible. SC had a terrible roster that he is trying to recruit his way out of.

I keep hearing how weak the East is- yet we lost to an East team last year

lamont
04-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Eason will be a bust for UGA so if the #2 QB doesn't step up, Kirby's path to success may take a little longer.

If Eason is a bust- then what is Fitz? They had damn near identical passing stats

MadDawg
04-24-2017, 09:39 AM

I think the best thing Cann has done this year is take our baseball program, with a completely depleted pitching staff, and put them in 1st place in the SEC. Great coaching job.

confucius say
04-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Muschamp went 6-6 and got his team to a bowl game. Nobody expected SC to be bowl eligible. SC had a terrible roster that he is trying to recruit his way out of.

I keep hearing how weak the East is- yet we lost to an East team last year

I agree with you that muschamp overachieved last year. I actually think he will do okay at USCe.

But using us as a measuring stick to gauge last year's east? Come on. We were not good last year either, and still would prob have been fourth in the east had we played an east schedule.

confucius say
04-24-2017, 09:51 AM
If Eason is a bust- then what is Fitz? They had damn near identical passing stats

Get back to me when Eason rushes for 1300 yards and leads the sec in td.

And for the record, I think it's way too early to call Eason a bust.

lamont
04-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Get back to me when Eason rushes for 1300 yards and leads the sec in td.

And for the record, I think it's way too early to call Eason a bust.

Well, the only way Eason can be a bust is thru passing. He is not a runner. He is going to let Chubb and Michel do the running. Georgia's WR's dropped a lot of passes last year. Eason may not end up an AA- but he will be good college QB

Tbonewannabe
04-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Well, the only way Eason can be a bust is thru passing. He is not a runner. He is going to let Chubb and Michel do the running. Georgia's WR's dropped a lot of passes last year. Eason may not end up an AA- but he will be good college QB

He has a big arm at least. Whether he develops, I guess we will see. Not many Bama QBs developed into anything more than a game manager but that is all they need to do. I think Kirby will have to be more willing to open things up than Saban is.

dawgday166
04-24-2017, 10:49 AM

Every offensive record because of 1 year out of 8 for the most part. The QB for the Boys is pretty much the only offensive player that has done anything in the league. The current heisman candidate just threw 4 sloppy picks in the spring game ... so we'll see how next year turns out.

I wanna see us be in the top 25 or 30 at the outside in offensive ranking every year. Dan should be able to do that. He's done it 1 year out of 8. And I'm really tired of seeing us struggle offensively every year against 3 to 4 sec west teams. There really is only 1 or sometimes 2 teams Dan should struggle scoring against. I'd also like to see some semblance of a good hurry up offense when needed. A kicking game would be nice too.

A better recruiting strategy in some areas would be good too.

When he addresses those consistently .. then I'll be a little happier.

lamont
04-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Dawg61 can't comprehend that every SEC is setting school records on offense

msstate7
04-24-2017, 11:18 AM

Is every sec team winning more consistently than ever?

dawgday166
04-24-2017, 11:24 AM

Not only this but ... breaking MSU offensive records? Like the standards there were that high to begin with.

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 11:29 AM

Fitz came within like 60 yards of breaking the ALL-TIME SEC RECORD for rushing in a season for a QB. Just totally ignore that tho

msstate7
04-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Fitz came within like 60 yards of breaking the ALL-TIME SEC RECORD for rushing in a season for a QB. Just totally ignore that tho

Yeah, but not like the standards were that high to begin with.

Took care of it for you, dawgday

dawgday166
04-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Is every sec team winning more consistently than ever?

Dude, sometimes I scratch my head on some things. You'll nitpick all the other coaches to death, but god forbid anyone criticizes Dan or points out his flaws as a HC (that he hasn't seemed to want to address) **

Having said that ... while I'm very high on Vic and Cann, I hope they don't take a couple of years off now like Dan did after 2014. 2 years from now I don't wanna be at the cellar of the SEC in women's hoops and have Vic keep reminding us he took us to final four ... like Dan has done with us being #1 in 2014 for 5 weeks.

msstate7
04-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Dude, sometimes I scratch my head on some things. You'll nitpick all the other coaches to death, but god forbid anyone criticizes Dan or points out his flaws as a HC (that he hasn't seemed to want to address) **

Having said that ... while I'm very high on Vic and Cann, I hope they don't take a couple of years off now like Dan did after 2014. 2 years from now I don't wanna be at the cellar of the SEC in women's hoops and have Vic keep reminding us he took us to final four ... like Dan has done with us being #1 in 2014 for 5 weeks.

Is that a yes or no to the question?

dawgday166
04-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Yeah, but not like the standards were that high to begin with.

Took care of it for you, dawgday

I'd prefer our QB to break the all-time passing record. I think if we do that our record is better than 5-7.

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 11:36 AM

Ok show me 4 other SEC schools that have broken ALL of their all-time offensive records within the last 5 years. We haven't just broken them once either, try like 8 different times from what they were before Mullen showed up. Show me just one other school that's done that in the last eight years. Should be easy since "every SEC is setting school records on offense".

You can't comprehend when your trolling is too much

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Not only this but ... breaking MSU offensive records? Like the standards there were that high to begin with.

So not only is Mullen supposed to do the impossible according to C34 and average more than 7 wins a season but he's also supposed to not only break ALL OF OUR OFFENSIVE RECORDS eight times over and break other more prominent offensive programs records too? Do you want him to shoot lightning bolts out his arse and be 9 feet tall too? Join the Alabama bandwagon please you'll NEVER be satisfied on ours.

lamont
04-24-2017, 11:40 AM

He had a great year running. Nobody is disputing that.

lamont
04-24-2017, 11:42 AM
So not only is Mullen supposed to do the impossible according to C34 and average more than 7 wins a season but he's also supposed to not only break ALL OF OUR OFFENSIVE RECORDS eight times over and break other more prominent offensive programs records too? Do you want him to shoot lightning bolts out his arse and be 9 feet tall too? Join the Alabama bandwagon please you'll NEVER be satisfied on ours.

We have produced top 5 SEC defenses- why not top 5 offenses?

dawgday166
04-24-2017, 11:45 AM

This is the primary reason we've won games over 8 years. Add in all the big time NFL studs that have come off of the D.

msstate7
04-24-2017, 11:52 AM

3 times since '08, an sec team has had a top 5 scoring offense. Manziel x2, tebow in '08

13 times since '08, an sec team has had a top 5 scoring defense.

lamont
04-24-2017, 12:05 PM
3 times since '08, an sec team has had a top 5 scoring offense. Manziel x2, tebow in '08

13 times since '08, an sec team has had a top 5 scoring defense.

Top 5 in the SEC Socrates

We have had 2 Top 5 SEC offenses under Mullen- 2014 and 2015

msstate7
04-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Top 5 in the SEC Socrates

We have had 2 Top 5 SEC offenses under Mullen- 2014 and 2015

So we have produced a top 5 offense... And 3 times we've had a top 5 defense.

EngDawg
04-24-2017, 12:26 PM
This has to be the dumbest thread ever. Replacing a fired coach and a coach who got promoted are two completely different animals.

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 12:34 PM
This has to be the dumbest thread ever. Replacing a fired coach and a coach who got promoted are two completely different animals.

Haha so true and the promoted coach got to hand pick his predecessor

SandlotDawg
04-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Agreed. Bunch of glue sniffers.

lamont
04-24-2017, 12:52 PM
There can be some differences- but in the end it comes down to the choice you make to take over.

confucius say
04-24-2017, 01:02 PM
There can be some differences- but in the end it comes down to the choice you make to take over.

And who is willing to take the job.

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Utah total offensive rankings in the nation vs MSU total offensive rankings in the nation

2016: Utah 49th MSU 44th
2015: Utah 82nd MSU 34th
2014: Utah 74th MSU 10th
2013: Utah 86th MSU 42nd
2012: Utah 109th MSU 73rd
2011: Utah 106th MSU 72nd
2010: Utah 47th MSU 40th

drop the offensive shade attempt already

http://img.pandawhale.com/135707-Antonio-Brown-wasted-gif-Imgur-dE74.gif

I seen it dawg
04-24-2017, 02:28 PM

Boom. Rep given for that!

CadaverDawg
04-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Utah total offensive rankings in the nation vs MSU total offensive rankings in the nation

2016: Utah 49th MSU 44th
2015: Utah 82nd MSU 34th
2014: Utah 74th MSU 10th
2013: Utah 86th MSU 42nd
2012: Utah 109th MSU 73rd
2011: Utah 106th MSU 72nd
2010: Utah 47th MSU 40th

drop the offensive shade attempt already

http://img.pandawhale.com/135707-Antonio-Brown-wasted-gif-Imgur-dE74.gif

And they were facing far shittier defense's too. Interesting. Anybody wanting Mullen gone should probably stop keeping up with MSU football, bc their expectations are unreachable.

Commercecomet24
04-24-2017, 03:16 PM
And they were facing far shittier defense's too. Interesting. Anybody wanting Mullen gone should probably stop keeping up with MSU football, bc their expectations are unreachable.

Rep Given!

TrapGame
04-24-2017, 03:58 PM
These threads are like the movie Ground Hog Day, the same shit over and over again. Random sucks y'all in every time.

Dawg61
04-24-2017, 04:08 PM
These threads are like the movie Ground Hog Day, the same shit over and over again. Random sucks y'all in every time.

Yea he does but these threads do also provide the most entertainment on slow days because some of the better posters contribute in them. I'll give Random some credit here he might not actually agree with some of the stuff he posts but he is willing to take the devil's advocate side to spark conversation on this board. He doesn't give a shit if it pisses people off because it benefits his board and it usually creates more interesting threads on boring ass days.

Commercecomet24
04-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Yea he does but these threads do also provide the most entertainment on slow days because some of the better posters contribute in them. I'll give Random some credit here he might not actually agree with some of the stuff he posts but he is willing to take the devil's advocate side to spark conversation on this board. He doesn't give a shit if it pisses people off because it benefits his board and it usually creates more interesting threads on boring ass days.

This is correct! You can bet that everytime the boards dragging and not much going, RP will light it up with something. He's as polarizing as our 2 presidential candidates were(hope that's not being political, just making an analogy).

EngDawg
04-24-2017, 05:36 PM

This

lamont
04-24-2017, 06:06 PM

Absolutely. We had 2 NCAA Tourney coaches begging for our basketball job when we hired RR

EngDawg
04-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Absolutely. We had 2 NCAA Tourney coaches begging for our basketball job when we hired RR

Well I'm not going to continue to beat a dead horse, but not everyone concurs with this statement. Anyways, I think it might be time to lock this thread and move on from this lunacy.

lamont
04-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Well I'm not going to continue to beat a dead horse, but not everyone concurs with this statement. Anyways, I think it might be time to lock this thread and move on from this lunacy.

Take your ass back to Sixpack if you dont like it

Kermit Davis Jr and Joe Dooley begged for this job. Thats a fact