PDA

View Full Version : A few MSU baseball thoughts and notes

DeviousDawg
04-22-2017, 09:53 AM
1. We are on one hell of a two season run in SEC play:

-We have won 14 of 16 SEC series; 7 of 8 at home and 7 of 8 on the road.
-The 14 series wins came against 12 different SEC teams, with A&M being the only team we have not won a series against in the past 2 seasons.
-Including the 2016 Governors Cup win, we are 35-14 against SEC teams in the regular season.
-Excluding the two series losses which were both sweeps(vs A&M 2016 and @ Arkansas 2017) we are 35-8 against SEC foes, 18-3 at DNF and 16-5 away.
-We have gone 10-2 in one run SEC games

2. In the past calander year (4/22/16 to 4/22/17):

-We have gone 27-7 against SEC teams, excluding the Arkansas sweep this year, 27-4.
-We have gone 14-1 at Dudy Noble Field against SEC teams.

3. One month ago today we were coming off a 4 game losing streak (swept @ Arkansas and loss to USM in Pearl) with a 12-10 record and an 0-3 start in the conference. The team could've folded with valid excuses, but instead they went 16-4 and 13-2 in the SEC. I don't know how we did it, but it's been an incredible month.

4. Blaylock should focus exclusively on pitching for the rest of the season. Getting just 2-3 solid innings from him per week would be huge.

5. Without naming names, there were 2-3 guys that took the mound for us Friday that have no business stepping on an SEC rubber. We can't keep trotting those guys out there in tight ball games. Giving up hits is one thing, that's baseball. However, throwing twice as many balls as strikes is absolutely unacceptable.

6. Mangum and Rooker went 6-29 on the weekend, and Pilkington gave up 4 ER in less than 6 complete innings, yet we pulled off the sweep. 13-5 puts us in the drivers seat for the SEC, and sets us up for the first back to back 20 SEC win seasons in MSU baseball history. We get a much needed long weekend of rest with Saturday and Sunday off. We should be nice and rested for the Governor's cup Tuesday. A loss won't kill us, but a win is needed if we want to talk national seed.

7. Kentucky(11-6) and LSU(10-7) have one more game to play against each other this weekend, Auburn(11-5) and Arkansas(11-5) have one more game to play, Texas A&M(9-7) and Tennessee(4-12) have two more games to play, and Florida(9-8) and South Carolina(9-8) have one more games to play against each other this weekend, Let's say Kentucky takes the rubber match at home, Auburn and Arkansas split, A&M and UT split, and Florida takes the rubber match at home, the SEC race would look like this:

MSU(13-5)
Auburn(12-6)
Arkansas(12-6)
Kentucky(12-6)
LSU(10-8)
Texas A&M(10-8)
Florida(10-8)

If Auburn can just take one more against Arkansas, we will be in a position where we control our own destiny.

8. We have 12 SEC games left

-3 vs Auburn
-3 @ Texas A&M
-3 @ Georgia
-3 vs LSU

I think 6-6 gets us a host, 7-5 gets us a share of the SEC, and 8-4 gives us our second outright SEC title and national seed in a row. The formula is simple, win the last 4 series, win the SEC and get a national seed. We need to go 3-3 in the Auburn and A&M series, 4-2 might put us in an uncatchable position at 17-7 with a series against a very bad Georgia team at their place and a series against a very beatable LSU team at home remaining on the schedule. If we can leave the Georgia series with another sweep, we would only have to find 4 wins from the A&M, LSU and Auburn series to lock up the SEC.

9. As talented and deep as the 2016 team was, the 2017 team has a pretty decent chance to finish with an equal or better SEC record. Considering the circumstances, Cann will almost certainly win COY in his first season as a head man. With his recruiting ability, and a state of the art DNF renovation/reconstruction on the way, we may be witnessing the beginning of one of if not the best runs in MSU sports history.

10. One month ago the question was will we make a regional, now the question is will we win the SEC and get a national seed. Crazy shit.

WSOPdawg
04-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Devious, dude I just always love your posts. Great job, keep'em coming.

lamont
04-22-2017, 11:12 AM
Devious, dude I just always love your posts. Great job, keep'em coming.

Thanks***

msstate7
04-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks***

Dr Jekyll, mr Hyde

basedog
04-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Thanks***

You should take notes*****

basedog
04-22-2017, 11:30 AM

-The 14 series wins came against 12 different SEC teams, with A&M being the only team we have not won a series against in the past 2 seasons.
-Including the 2016 Governors Cup win, we are 35-14 against SEC teams in the regular season.
-Excluding the two series losses which were both sweeps(vs A&M 2016 and @ Arkansas 2017) we are 35-8 against SEC foes, 18-3 at DNF and 16-5 away.

-We have gone 27-7 against SEC teams, excluding the Arkansas sweep this year, 27-4.

3. One month ago today we were coming off a 4 game losing streak (swept @ Arkansas and loss to USM in Pearl) with a 12-10 record and an 0-3 start in the conference. The team could've folded with valid excuses, but instead they went 16-4 and 13-2 in the SEC. I don't know how we did it, but it's been an incredible month.

4. Blaylock should focus exclusively on pitching for the rest of the season. Getting just 2-3 solid innings from him per week would be huge.

5. Without naming names, there were 2-3 guys that took the mound for us Friday that have no business stepping on an SEC rubber. We can't keep trotting those guys out there in tight ball games. Giving up hits is one thing, that's baseball. However, throwing twice as many balls as strikes is absolutely unacceptable.

6. Mangum and Rooker went 6-29 on the weekend, and Pilkington gave up 4 ER in less than 6 complete innings, yet we pulled off the sweep. 13-5 puts us in the drivers seat for the SEC, and sets us up for the first back to back 20 SEC win seasons in MSU baseball history. We get a much needed long weekend of rest with Saturday and Sunday off. We should be nice and rested for the Governor's cup Tuesday. A loss won't kill us, but a win is needed if we want to talk national seed.

7. Kentucky(11-6) and LSU(10-7) have one more game to play against each other this weekend, Auburn(11-5) and Arkansas(11-5) have one more game to play, Texas A&M(9-7) and Tennessee(4-12) have two more games to play, and Florida(9-8) and South Carolina(9-8) have one more games to play against each other this weekend, Let's say Kentucky takes the rubber match at home, Auburn and Arkansas split, A&M and UT split, and Florida takes the rubber match at home, the SEC race would look like this:

MSU(13-5)
Auburn(12-6)
Arkansas(12-6)
Kentucky(12-6)
LSU(10-8)
Texas A&M(10-8)
Florida(10-8)

If Auburn can just take one more against Arkansas, we will be in a position where we control our own destiny.

-3 vs Auburn
-3 @ Texas A&M
-3 @ Georgia
-3 vs LSU

I think 6-6 gets us a host, 7-5 gets us a share of the SEC, and 8-4 gives us our second outright SEC title and national seed in a row. The formula is simple, win the last 4 series, win the SEC and get a national seed. We need to go 3-3 in the Auburn and A&M series, 4-2 might put us in an uncatchable position at 17-7 with a series against a very bad Georgia team at their place and a series against a very beatable LSU team at home remaining on the schedule. If we can leave the Georgia series with another sweep, we would only have to find 4 wins from the A&M, LSU and Auburn series to lock up the SEC.

9. As talented and deep as the 2016 team was, the 2017 team has a pretty decent chance to finish with an equal or better SEC record. Considering the circumstances, Cann will almost certainly win COY in his first season as a head man. With his recruiting ability, and a state of the art DNF renovation/reconstruction on the way, we may be witnessing the beginning of one of if not the best runs in MSU sports history.

10. One month ago the question was will we make a regional, now the question is will we win the SEC and get a national seed. Crazy shit.

Just Damn! Great post!

TaleofTwoDogs
04-22-2017, 11:45 AM
There you go jinxing the season, now we will crash and burn. Great post but optimism is not allowed if you are a true State fan. ***

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
04-22-2017, 12:13 PM
Good 17ing read thats all!! Hailstate

NCDawg
04-22-2017, 12:15 PM
In any event, it's nice to beat Alabama 3 in a row in anything-especially since they destroy us in football. We gave them a pretty good football game in '14, but last year wasn't even close-they put in their substitutes in the second half to have mercy on us.

lamont
04-22-2017, 12:18 PM
You should take notes*****

Bafoom says DD34 and I are the same person

basedog
04-22-2017, 12:35 PM

LOL, no way****

He's way more knowledgeable****

I seen it dawg
04-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Some negative...**** every muther****ing ********** that was all over Cann for "being over his head" or "not being the right guy". You can all eat a ****ing dick. Then swallow it and get back to being happy being a bulldog baseball fan.

Ok maybe that was a little much but you know who you are...lol

What a run we are on. Cann is everything I dreamed he would be. He coaches exactly the way I would draw it up. I can't wait for him to have a full off season and recruiting cycle under his belt. He will win us a title within the next 5 yrs. I was bullish on him when we hired him and now I don't know if I can get more bullish. This guy is unbelievable and it's only gonna get better.

WinningIsRelentless
04-22-2017, 12:50 PM

We have already established long before this post that NaNutHurt were delusional as hell

smootness
04-22-2017, 01:13 PM
BA doesn't have us hosting in their new Tournament projection update.

Thick
04-22-2017, 01:50 PM
They shouldn't have us hosting right now. These next 4 series will be very tough.

msstate7
04-22-2017, 01:59 PM
They shouldn't have us hosting right now. These next 4 series will be very tough.

3 of the 4 anyway... I'm thrilled we swept as anyone; but if bama's pitcher can catch a pop up, today's board would look much different

basedog
04-22-2017, 02:06 PM
3 of the 4 anyway... I'm thrilled we swept as anyone; but if bama's pitcher can catch a pop up, today's board would look much different

If a frog had wings they could probably fly instead of bumping their ass! Winning isn't about IF, losers are about IF.

I bet our players and coaches don't think, "hey we are so lucky and really not very talented nor do we believe we should be in 1st".

Ron Polk had this correct "That's Baseball"

Commercecomet24
04-22-2017, 02:11 PM

MSU(13-5)
Auburn(12-6)
Arkansas(12-6)
Kentucky(12-6)
LSU(10-8)
Texas A&M(10-8)
Florida(10-8)

-3 vs Auburn
-3 @ Texas A&M
-3 @ Georgia
-3 vs LSU

Great post!

smootness
04-22-2017, 02:29 PM

They had us hosting last week.

smootness
04-22-2017, 02:30 PM
If a frog had wings they could probably fly instead of bumping their ass! Winning isn't about IF, losers are about IF.

I bet our players and coaches don't think, "hey we are so lucky and really not very talented nor do we believe we should be in 1st".

Ron Polk had this correct "That's Baseball"

Chill, man. We're talking about going forward, so it's obviously relevant to discuss our actual level of performance and not simply the results. Everyone will take the win and be thrilled, but that doesn't mean we're set going forward.

msstate7
04-22-2017, 02:31 PM
They had us hosting last week.
Who took our place in their projections?

smootness
04-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Who took our place in their projections?

Hmm, sorry, it looks I'm stupid all the way around. I could have sworn it said 4/22 when I first clicked it, but it's actually from 4/19, which makes more sense.

And looking at the updates on 4/5 and 4/12, neither one has us hosting. I could have sworn someone linked a projection a week or so ago that had us as a 1 seed. Maybe that wasn't BA? I have no idea. Anyway, sorry, I'm dumb.

ETA: Yeah, looks like it's D1 Baseball that had us hosting on 4/19. So I would assume they still have us hosting.

JoseBrown
04-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Hey DeviousDawg34, on your point number 7, where the 17 are the shitbirds? Hahahaha

msbulldog
04-22-2017, 03:43 PM
Dr Jekyll, mr Hyde

Mr Jekll, Dr. Hyde!

basedog
04-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Chill, man. We're talking about going forward, so it's obviously relevant to discuss our actual level of performance and not simply the results. Everyone will take the win and be thrilled, but that doesn't mean we're set going forward.

Dude, I ain't complained one bit nor have I looked back! Have no idea what you are trying to say.

TNDawg35
04-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Im more worried about the LSU series than any of the rest. I think we take 2 of 3 from AU and A&M. Then sweep UGA. LSU is going to be tough tho. If Lange is on, that wouldnt be good. Also depends which Poche shows up. The one who gave them 20 something scoreless inn or the one who is very flat and very hittable. I also think they will come in wanting rhat series cause of Coach Cann...

smootness
04-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Dude, I ain't complained one bit nor have I looked back! Have no idea what you are trying to say.

I'm just saying, we will all take the win and be thrilled. But in a discussion about what things look like moving forward for us, the question of how we played in the win or how close we were to losing to a bad team is a relevant one.

msbulldog
04-22-2017, 04:30 PM
I'm just saying, we will all take the win and be thrilled. But in a discussion about what things look like moving forward for us, the question of how we played in the win or how close we were to losing to a bad team is a relevant one.

Brother Smoot, let's all just be very thankful for every win, because 2 months ago, I don't think anybody who posts here would think that we would be where we are at now. Let's all just hold our breath and hope we can finish this miraculous season with our first consecutive SEC championship! HAIL STATE! GO DAWGS!

basedog
04-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Ok, but we won and who cares if they are a bad team. I'm thinking now we must be a pretty good team, just goes to show you don't have to have a bunch of super stars to have a good team.

HailState!

WSOPdawg
04-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Im more worried about the LSU series than any of the rest. I think we take 2 of 3 from AU and A&M. Then sweep UGA. LSU is going to be tough tho. If Lange is on, that wouldnt be good. Also depends which Poche shows up. The one who gave them 20 something scoreless inn or the one who is very flat and very hittable. I also think they will come in wanting rhat series cause of Coach Cann...

Speaking of Lange and Poche, man it seems like these two have been in Baton Rouge FOREVER!!! Almost as long as Keith Carter was in Oxford.

blacklistedbully
04-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Some negative...**** every muther****ing ********** that was all over Cann for "being over his head" or "not being the right guy". You can all eat a ****ing dick. Then swallow it and get back to being happy being a bulldog baseball fan.

What a run we are on. Cann is everything I dreamed he would be. He coaches exactly the way I would draw it up. I can't wait for him to have a full off season and recruiting cycle under his belt. He will win us a title within the next 5 yrs. I was bullish on him when we hired him and now I don't know if I can get more bullish. This guy is unbelievable and it's only gonna get better.

I am in the same boat with you. Loved the hire from the get-go. On record as saying early on he may well become the best baseball coach in the NCAA. Love the hire, love the fact that JC is able to support as AD, love that we will soon once again have the best baseball facilities in the NCAA.

Commercecomet24
04-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Post of the year!

msbulldog
04-22-2017, 05:17 PM

Damn I seen it, maybe we should hire you as a assistant coach.

basedog
04-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Naw, he needs to stay here so he can get on the shitbirds!

Tbonewannabe
04-22-2017, 07:46 PM

Also if the ump doesn't go retarded and call Poole out at 2nd and Mangum also looked like he evaded the tag at home. Either of those and it might not be in extra innings.

Ari Gold
04-22-2017, 07:53 PM

Your right.. it would have consisted of about 50 more posts from you. Win / Win for all of us last night..

msstate7
04-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Your right.. it would have consisted of about 50 more posts from you. Win / Win for all of us last night..

I seen it dawg
04-22-2017, 10:23 PM

Henderson has my spot

I seen it dawg
04-22-2017, 10:24 PM

The glue that held the LSU team together.....is in our dugout now...**** LSU we at least take 2/3 or sweep