PDA

View Full Version : Alabama's head baseball coach suspended one game

Todd4State
04-21-2017, 12:53 AM
of our doubleheader. Apparently he had a disagreement with an umpire after the game- I'm not sure over what.

TUSK
04-21-2017, 01:15 AM
REC not doin' werk.

I seen it dawg
04-21-2017, 05:45 AM
Hahaha prob that floating strike zone. Guy was ****ing horrible

Dallas_Dawg
04-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Good, at least he can make it to Miss Gridley's wedding***

mparkerfd20
04-21-2017, 09:23 AM
It was for arguing with the ump over balls and strikes. It happened around the 7th or 8th inning. Jim mentioned it and said the ump wrote it down and he was sure the SEC office would be hearing about it.

Todd4State
04-21-2017, 09:34 AM
It was for arguing with the ump over balls and strikes. It happened around the 7th or 8th inning. Jim mentioned it and said the ump wrote it down and he was sure the SEC office would be hearing about it.

I saw him arguing and I was surprised that the umpire didn't run him. I guess this is how they do it now.

WSOPdawg
04-21-2017, 09:35 AM

I thought so too. His K-zone was all over the place to include 3-inches off the ground.

shoeless joe
04-21-2017, 09:42 AM
So frikin ridiculous...how are coaches held to such a higher standard than the umps? I only got to see the 7th-9th and he was garbage. And now a coach is suspended for standing up for his team? Absolute garbage. Zero accountability in college officiating and baseball is the worst of the bunch.

CadaverDawg
04-21-2017, 09:51 AM
So frikin ridiculous...how are coaches held to such a higher standard than the umps? I only got to see the 7th-9th and he was garbage. And now a coach is suspended for standing up for his team? Absolute garbage. Zero accountability in college officiating and baseball is the worst of the bunch.

"Hold my beer"

- College basketball officials

Tbonewannabe
04-21-2017, 10:06 AM

Watching it on the TV, the strike zone was moving but it benefited Bama. The guy that got called out should have struck out 2 pitches before but the ump shrunk the zone. I guess his point was the batter thought that since the other 2 pitches that were over the plate were balls then the last strike should have also been a ball.

Tbonewannabe
04-21-2017, 10:07 AM
"Hold my beer"

"I see that and raise you"

any ref working a Bama football game. Holding penalties are just myths.

Liverpooldawg
04-21-2017, 10:16 AM
I thought so too. His K-zone was all over the place to include 3-inches off the ground.

I thought the same thing. There were at least 3-4 times it looked like two consecutive pitches were in the exact same place and he would call one a strike and one a ball.

Jack Lambert
04-21-2017, 10:18 AM
We are a bigger name in Baseball so Bama just need to suck it like we do in football when we play them in that sport.

TUSK
04-21-2017, 11:40 AM
We are a bigger name in Baseball so Bama just need to suck it like we do in football when we play them in that sport.

I fully accept and embrace the possibility that MSU may have benefited from the officiating... our baseball team never really had a chance, anyway...

That's how it's done*

Commercecomet24
04-21-2017, 11:42 AM
I fully accept and embrace the possibility that MSU may have benefited from the officiating... our baseball team never really had a chance, anyway...

That's how it's done*

So why isn't the REC doing work in baseball?****************************

Commercecomet24
04-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Yeah baseball officiating, especially behind the plate is questionable, but i still think basketball is by far and away the worst.

Dawgpatrol
04-21-2017, 12:04 PM

Absolurely, would have hated to pitch to that guy last night, pitchers had no idea where to throw it, ump moved all over the place with his zone.u

Mjoelner34
04-21-2017, 12:10 PM
I saw Gridley strike out on a ball that I think may have bounced to the plate but he had no choice but to swing. He was down 0-2 and those two strikes would have hit the catcher's feet if he hadn't gloved them. I saw several more throughout the game like that too. I commented to my buddy that if you hit homeplate with the ball, it must be a strike. Our next at bat the guy pumps a belt high fastball over the center of the plate against Bragg and its called a ball. I didn't have an issue with the guy's in and out calls. It was his up and down calls that constantly moved.

shoeless joe
04-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Yeah baseball officiating, especially behind the plate is questionable, but i still think basketball is by far and away the worst.

Basketball is so subjective that I think the officiating at every level in bad. But in baseball there is a ridiculously marked drop from pro to college...I mean I've been around high school umps that are light years better than D1 umps. It's a shame, it hurts the college game immensely, and it won't change until there's reasonable accountability.

msbulldog
04-21-2017, 12:20 PM
"Hold my beer"

Ain't that the damn truth!

Tbonewannabe
04-21-2017, 12:30 PM
I saw Gridley strike out on a ball that I think may have bounced to the plate but he had no choice but to swing. He was down 0-2 and those two strikes would have hit the catcher's feet if he hadn't gloved them. I saw several more throughout the game like that too. I commented to my buddy that if you hit homeplate with the ball, it must be a strike. Our next at bat the guy pumps a belt high fastball over the center of the plate against Bragg and its called a ball. I didn't have an issue with the guy's in and out calls. It was his up and down calls that constantly moved.

Yep, I think that was what the Bama coach was saying. The exact same pitch the batter struck out on was a ball on the first 2 pitches. The pitch was on the inside of the plate right above the knee. The announcers even mentioned it looked like a strike the first 2 times but then he finally called it on the last pitch. Sucks for the batter but with 2 strikes you have to expand your zone to prevent that. It takes a great eye to think it is in the exact same spot so it is a ball.

TUSK
04-21-2017, 12:37 PM
So why isn't the REC doing work in baseball?****************************

Trump hasn't been in office long enough....

MBBGA (Make bammer baseball great again)

I can't even type that shit without laughing....

dawgday166
04-21-2017, 12:46 PM

And bama baseball was great when????

They don't have like 130 or so nattys from earlier in last couple of centuries do they? ******

TUSK
04-21-2017, 12:50 PM

They don't have like 130 or so nattys from earlier in last couple of centuries do they? ******

They were pretty good a million years ago (30s???) and when Wells was the coach (90s?)... Without digging, I think I recall they are historically similar to, to just below MSU in terms of wins, championships, etc...

But, it certainly isn't a "big deal" over here like baseball is in S'ville....

Todd4State
04-21-2017, 12:51 PM

Mid 1990's. They've been pretty average since then.

dawgday166
04-21-2017, 12:52 PM
They were pretty good a million years ago (30s???) and when Wells was the coach (90s?)... Without digging, I think I recall they are historically similar to, to just below MSU in terms of wins, championships, etc...

But, it certainly isn't a "big deal" over here like baseball is in S'ville....

Baseball all we've had. Got women's hoops now tho ... but being MSU something will probably go awry there haha.

TUSK
04-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Mid 1990's. They've been pretty average since then.

You're being too nice... we've sucked ass since early 00s....

but, "thanks" though...

Commercecomet24
04-21-2017, 02:11 PM

Made me laugh reading it!

JoseBrown
04-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Yep, I think that was what the Bama coach was saying. The exact same pitch the batter struck out on was a ball on the first 2 pitches. The pitch was on the inside of the plate right above the knee. The announcers even mentioned it looked like a strike the first 2 times but then he finally called it on the last pitch. Sucks for the batter but with 2 strikes you have to expand your zone to prevent that. It takes a great eye to think it is in the exact same spot so it is a ball.

I thought the ump was struggling to see balls pitched to his left side last night. Maybe his left eye wasn't working so he was guessing. ***

basedog
04-21-2017, 03:03 PM

but, "thanks" though...

Bet you watched the game last night.

mstatefan91
04-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Yeah he was arguing over a called strike that had been a ball the previous two pitches. Understandable. Ump was all over the place. As a batter, you have to have some kind of consistency or you're just 17'd.

Mjoelner34
04-21-2017, 03:10 PM
As a batter, you have to have some kind of consistency or you're just 17'd. A moving strike zone hurts the pitcher too.

mstatefan91
04-21-2017, 03:13 PM
A moving strike zone hurts the pitcher too.

True true

Todd4State
04-21-2017, 03:52 PM

but, "thanks" though...

Just remember my kindness during football season.

gravedigger
04-21-2017, 03:55 PM

There is a reason. And football and basketball are WAY worse.

gravedigger
04-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Yup. The kid got 7 strikes before he was
Called out.