PDA

View Full Version : Cannizaro?????

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Ok, I never post anything (normally just get on board to find info about our baseball team, scores etc) but after that debacle last night by our head baseball coach I could'nt just sit back and not question a whole lot of decisions on his part. First off, why in the world would you put 4 pitchers in a batters box to get potentially injured when the staff is already devastated with injury. Much less your Friday night starter and your closer, I wonder what our judgement of his coaching ability would be like this morning had Pilkington taken a pitch off his hand and broke a couple of fingers,. Bar none one of the dumbest coaching decisions I have ever witnessed by a head coach at such a high level of baseball. And please don't say probably won't happen, I was at the game and watched Spencer bust his rear end trying to round 1st, one mistep from pulling hammy etc.
Secondly, It was embarrassing watching our head coach give up on a game in the 7th inning down only 3-0, especially with this team, you know the one that has proven over the course of this year that they will play to the end and have many and multiple comeback wins under their belt. And don't say he didn't throw in the towel, when you pull the crap he did last night in the 7th inning with 3 more team at bats awaiting and putting in pitchers to hit with Gordon and lovelady not in the game. As a coach and player you are taught to never ever give up and play every out till the end, our coach sent a message tonight alright, he told his team I will give up on you and I will throw your butt under the bus on media as well. Great message to a team that is in second place in the best conference in baseball with only 22 players or so healthy.
Third: he may or may not be a great coach, only time will tell but he is getting way to much credit for what has been done so far, last time I checked players play and coaches mostly watch, I haven't seen any coach pitch or hit this year, the players have. In the words of legendary coach Bobby Cox when asked how many games a coach influences throughout a year, he said about 3, the other 159 are up to the players.
I attended the game last night and I can assure you there was no lack of hustle or effort on the players part as a whole, had one incident where player did not run after 3rd strike. Plus coach owes it to the fan base to put a competitive team and players in correct positions. Some people that live on the coast only get to see their team play once a year and they got cheated last night by their head coach conceeding a game. heck even the USA fans were pissed, some didn't feel like they got to see our real team and felt their victory was watered down. Embarrassment to the university, the team and to the fans.
I realize he is a 1st year head coach and all and I hope he can learn from his mistakes but was truly a sh$t show by a coach last night!!!!

Homedawg
04-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Are you a player's father or something? Wow. When you say there was no lack of effort and follow it w the word except such and such, that means there was. Mental errors were made too. Does coach deserve criticism at times? Yes. Maybe even last night. However, I thought it was him trying to send a message that we need to be more mentally prepared and into the ballgame from the first pitch. With all that said, he makes a bunch of money and say what pleases you, whoever your son is****

Joe Schmedlap
04-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Baffling decisions were made. One could even argue that "mistakes were made".

Cooterpoot
04-19-2017, 11:31 AM
I understand why you never post. I'd suggest you stick with that strategy.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 11:32 AM
The players gave up last night before Cann did. Yeah a pitcher could have gotten hurt. But it didn't happen. One of our hitters could have gotten hurt too. You can't put these guys in bubble wrap. He's going to put players out there that play hard and had no other options besides the bullpen guys. I think he did the right thing and I have no problem with it. Other than the fact it was a loss. Our effort was terrible last night from the players and he's trying to fix it,

SandlotDawg
04-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Who cares? Baseball is supposed to be fun right? I'm willing to bet those pitchers had the time of their lives getting to hit in a game when they haven't hit in one since high school. Chill out and get your panties out of a wad.

Hrdawg82
I dont think it was necessarily he that gave up. I think the players quit and he was looking for anyone and everyone who wanted to play with some passion. I am beginning to think that Mangum is a diva on the team and coach is getting sick of it. He benched a bunch of players because they played as if they had already won before the game even began. I applaud him for yanking a First Team AA. It proved a point that no one is bigger than the team, and if you dont play with passion you simply wont play.

TNDawg35
Thats the problem. He didnt give up. The guys did. They showed a complete lack of focus nor even cared like they wanted to be there... We had guys swinging at shit 3 foot out of the box and not making adjustments, we had guys standing in the baters box after a called 3rd strike, we had guys not blocking balls, we had guys, who are damn good, play like they didnt care at all. I had no problem sitting the whole damn line up down for pitchers, except for Pilk and Price. Ill agree with you there and say I didnt like that. But Sometimes you gotta show them who is boss whether it mean we loose a game or not. Cann has made some excellent stuff happen for this team. Even Henderson, who at the beg of the yr I hated, has done an outstanding job. Ill be the first to admit I was wrong on Henderson. He didnt throw his team under the bus. He told them exactly like it was. You dont wanna give 110%, sit your ass on the bench. It doesnt matter if its Rooker or Bragg or Poole or Mangum. The guys are there to represent the University and Coach Cann. If he doesnt think they are doing that, you will sit your ass on the bench.. 1 loss isnt gonna kill this team. If that's the case we could have folded a long time ago. If we come out and beat the living shit out of Bama, everyone will be saying what a wonderful job by Cann by getting his point across. Just like last wk we were all saying how good of a 1st yr Coach Cann is, and still is to me, yet after 1 loss, people want to question the man and act like he doesnt know 2 shits about the game or what is going on. and Dawgpatrol, this is meant in absolutely no offense to you in anyway...

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Cann sees that this team can make some noise and is trying to keep them playing at their peak potential. Personally I love it going into a series we really need to sweep.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-19-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm more entertained by watching us win games than watching us play like shit against South Al. If Cann thinks sending a message to our team against South Al will lead to us winning more games over the course of the season, I'm all for it.

Quaoarsking
04-19-2017, 11:41 AM
No inside information here, but I can only speculate that Pilk has been begging for an at bat and Cannizaro finally relented

msstate7
04-19-2017, 11:45 AM
I don't like essentially forfeiting a game with plenty of time to come back. I wish morehead state's coach would've gotten mad and pulled starters when we were up 5 headed to 9th.

MaroonFlounder
04-19-2017, 11:46 AM
I initially questioned everything, but in hindsight I'm ok with it. Stovall had a bad night in the field and we all now know why Bragg is not in the lineup. Blaylock and Poole do nothing but strike out at the plate, but both play solid defense. I wish we had a catcher that was a plus with the bat. We do not, and will not for the forseeable future. Belmont has occasional power and usually makes all the plays at 3rd. Mangum is a detriment to himself and the team with the celebration that involves punching a wall. Hey, I remember being a bit careless with my decisions at that age. In Cann, I trust.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-19-2017, 11:48 AM
No inside information here, but I can only speculate that Pilk has been begging for an at bat and Cannizaro finally relented

I know Jim said he was taking bp before the Saturday or Sunday game against SC. I can't believe Cann didn't have him locked in an equipment closet to make sure he didn't get hurt***

msstate7
04-19-2017, 11:50 AM
I know Jim said he was taking bp before the Saturday or Sunday game against SC. I can't believe Cann didn't have him locked in an equipment closet to make sure he didn't get hurt***

Maybe he should. If pilk took a ball off the wrist or pulled a hammy running a ball out, our season was over.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 11:53 AM
If sacrificing a midweek loss to send a message that makes us win more midweek games the rest of the year, the loss is worth it.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 11:57 AM
If sacrificing a midweek loss to send a message that makes us win more midweek games the rest of the year, the loss is worth it.

If we pull the sweep this weekend and with no injuries, I won't give a crap about this Saturday night. I would've liked that win vs a top 75 rpi team on the road though... bama 100 spots behind USA in rpi

Beaver
04-19-2017, 11:57 AM
I realize he is a 1st year head coach and all and I hope he can learn from his mistakes but was truly a sh$t show by a coach last night!!!!

No, he saw his team was playing like a bunch of Renardo Sidneys and did what he had to do to send a message during the game. Sometimes its not enough to just lecture your players after the game. He is simply practicing what he preaches. You can disagree with how he sent his message, but you can't say he's not giving max effort in coaching this team.

Johnson85
04-19-2017, 11:58 AM
The players gave up last night before Cann did. Yeah a pitcher could have gotten hurt. But it didn't happen. One of our hitters could have gotten hurt too. You can't put these guys in bubble wrap. He's going to put players out there that play hard and had no other options besides the bullpen guys. I think he did the right thing and I have no problem with it. Other than the fact it was a loss. Our effort was terrible last night from the players and he's trying to fix it,

If it hasn't been a problem in practice, it was overkill. You're not going to play at peak mental focus all season. Losing focus in a midweek game against USA is not a reason to lose it and start replacing position players with pitchers. If it was the culmination of a trend that includes lack of focus in practice, then maybe it was time for them to get shaken up.

lamont
04-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Got to send a message at times to teams that struggle to buy in at times.

He kicked Cyr and Marrero to the curb and we won 10 of 11 games after that. Some of these guys have to learn what it takes to be a D-1 baseball player

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:00 PM
I don't like essentially forfeiting a game with plenty of time to come back. I wish morehead state's coach would've gotten mad and pulled starters when we were up 5 headed to 9th.

We didn't forfeit the game. Cann put in the guys who he felt were going to give us the best effort and actually thus giving us the better chance to win the game. And yeah- I wish South Alabama's coach had put in a guy that needed Tommy John in the 9th inning too. Like we could have really counted on that. And hell, most of our guys still would have probably struck out swinging at pitches way out of the zone.

basedog
04-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Unbelievable some of the stuff folks post.

Btw, I'm pretty sure players want to play and ain't worried about a damn pulled muscle running!

I understand what Cann did and I also understand what his thinking was last night. And yes I Coached for a living once and I've done things similar to what Cann did.

Motivation is a good thing!

maroonmania
04-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Cann sees that this team can make some noise and is trying to keep them playing at their peak potential. Personally I love it going into a series we really need to sweep.

I think there was some spillover effect from Sunday also. I think our guys relaxed after taking the series on Saturday and looked like crap warmed over at the plate on Sunday and then crap leftovers warmed over at the plate last night and he had just had enough. You can question the moves he made in reaction to what he was seeing but I sure as heck understand why he was pissed. Based on our performance in our last 2 games I think just winning 2 against Bama might even be a challenge.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:07 PM
If it hasn't been a problem in practice, it was overkill. You're not going to play at peak mental focus all season. Losing focus in a midweek game against USA is not a reason to lose it and start replacing position players with pitchers. If it was the culmination of a trend that includes lack of focus in practice, then maybe it was time for them to get shaken up.

I trust that Cann had a very good reason for doing what he did since I'm not at practice and I'm guessing odds are you aren't as well.

I don't think he just put pitchers in the game just to be an ass. I don't think people realize how thin we are in the field as well.

We have two catchers.
We really only have six-seven guys that can play on the infield. Gordon is one of those and we have to pitch him because of our pitching depth issues. Bragg is another and his effort is among the worst on the team. Cody Brown can play the infield but that's about it.
We have five-six outfielders- Poole, MacNamee, and Vansau have all played similarly although MacNamee probably should start and two of those almost have to start every game. Blaylock has struggled a lot.

I think if he had more options as far as position players go he would have put them in but we don't so...

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:08 PM

He kicked Cyr and Marrero to the curb and we won 10 of 11 games after that. Some of these guys have to learn what it takes to be a D-1 baseball player

He suspended Mangum one game too. I think that got their attention as much or more than the other two.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:08 PM
We didn't forfeit the game.

I can understand giving our team a kick in the butt even if I don't necessarily agree with it, but yeah, we quit. We ran our best 2 pitchers out there in the 9th to hit with 2 actual batters on the bench

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 12:09 PM
All due respect, there were other available options Lovelady and gordon, albeit Gordon is a pitcher now as well, can anyone on here honestly say if Pilkington or Spencer broke a couple fingers in an at bat, they would be ok with that today. I'm not insinuating to wrap players in bubble wrap but that was just plain bad decision that we thankfully avoided.

Ari Gold
04-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Ok, I never post anything (normally just get on board to find info about our baseball team, scores etc) but after that debacle last night by our head baseball coach I could'nt just sit back and not question a whole lot of decisions on his part. First off, why in the world would you put 4 pitchers in a batters box to get potentially injured when the staff is already devastated with injury. Much less your Friday night starter and your closer, I wonder what our judgement of his coaching ability would be like this morning had Pilkington taken a pitch off his hand and broke a couple of fingers,. Bar none one of the dumbest coaching decisions I have ever witnessed by a head coach at such a high level of baseball. And please don't say probably won't happen, I was at the game and watched Spencer bust his rear end trying to round 1st, one mistep from pulling hammy etc.
Secondly, It was embarrassing watching our head coach give up on a game in the 7th inning down only 3-0, especially with this team, you know the one that has proven over the course of this year that they will play to the end and have many and multiple comeback wins under their belt. And don't say he didn't throw in the towel, when you pull the crap he did last night in the 7th inning with 3 more team at bats awaiting and putting in pitchers to hit with Gordon and lovelady not in the game. As a coach and player you are taught to never ever give up and play every out till the end, our coach sent a message tonight alright, he told his team I will give up on you and I will throw your butt under the bus on media as well. Great message to a team that is in second place in the best conference in baseball with only 22 players or so healthy.
Third: he may or may not be a great coach, only time will tell but he is getting way to much credit for what has been done so far, last time I checked players play and coaches mostly watch, I haven't seen any coach pitch or hit this year, the players have. In the words of legendary coach Bobby Cox when asked how many games a coach influences throughout a year, he said about 3, the other 159 are up to the players.
I attended the game last night and I can assure you there was no lack of hustle or effort on the players part as a whole, had one incident where player did not run after 3rd strike. Plus coach owes it to the fan base to put a competitive team and players in correct positions. Some people that live on the coast only get to see their team play once a year and they got cheated last night by their head coach conceeding a game. heck even the USA fans were pissed, some didn't feel like they got to see our real team and felt their victory was watered down. Embarrassment to the university, the team and to the fans.

Word of advice. That 1 that's by ur post count. Let's keep it at 1. Just read and enjoy..

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Maybe he should. If pilk took a ball off the wrist or pulled a hammy running a ball out, our season was over.

Over just like when we lost 7 pitchers to Tommy John...

basedog
04-19-2017, 12:13 PM
I trust that Cann had a very good reason for doing what he did since I'm not at practice and I'm guessing odds are you aren't as well.

I don't think he just put pitchers in the game just to be an ass. I don't think people realize how thin we are in the field as well.

We have two catchers.
We really only have six-seven guys that can play on the infield. Gordon is one of those and we have to pitch him because of our pitching depth issues. Bragg is another and his effort is among the worst on the team. Cody Brown can play the infield but that's about it.
We have five-six outfielders- Poole, MacNamee, and Vansau have all played similarly although MacNamee probably should start and two of those almost have to start every game. Blaylock has struggled a lot.

I think if he had more options as far as position players go he would have put them in but we don't so...

Totally agree. Obviously some posters never played for a coach like Cann and some never played sports.

Baseball has streaks, we've been able to overachieve all year with effort, last night was no effort for the most part. I expect to see a different attitude Thursday, folks forget Cann and Henderson didn't recruit any of the players.

I also expect to see a few players transferring next year as well.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Over just like when we lost 7 pitchers to Tommy John...

So, you think we could survive losing pilk? Interesting

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Posting isn't for everyone...and that's ok

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Would it be brutal? Yes. Would we survive? Don't know. Nor do you. But I have a feeling we would figure something out and fight.

basedog
04-19-2017, 12:19 PM

I will answer, hell no, no one got hurt so quit the nonsense of "what if". Btw, one of the pitchers got a damn hit!

Hell I'd like to bat, baseball is a game that is fun and I bet those guys loved batting.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 12:20 PM
All due respect, there were other available options Lovelady and gordon, albeit Gordon is a pitcher now as well, can anyone on here honestly say if Pilkington or Spencer broke a couple fingers in an at bat, they would be ok with that today. I'm not insinuating to wrap players in bubble wrap but that was just plain bad decision that we thankfully avoided.

With all due respect, your suggestion is to either put in another pitcher (Gordon), or a player that has actually torn his ACL during an at bat? What are our other options at catcher by the way?

basedog
Posting isn't for everyone...and that's ok

Rep given!

msstate7
I will answer, hell no, no one got hurt so quit the nonsense of "what if". Btw, one of the pitchers got a damn hit!

Hell I'd like to bat, baseball is a game that is fun and I bet those guys loved batting.

Football is fun too and Chris jones wants to play qb, so Andy Reid should make it happen

Activated Alpha
04-19-2017, 12:21 PM
I was perplexed to see our pitchers get ABs, but for the most part they had better approaches then some of our regular batters. I'm glad we have a coach who cares about winning and getting maximum effort all season long. I can understand losing focus for a midweek game, but going out on the field and performing like you don't really care is unacceptable. If Cann isn't afraid to get these guys who he hasn't recruited to perform with all their intensity, it's going to be really exciting to see how he handles his own guys.

msstate7
With all due respect, your suggestion is to either put in another pitcher (Gordon), or a player that has actually torn his ACL during an at bat? Who is our backup catcher by the way?

Skelton, then Stovall

Tbonewannabe

Every starter in the National League bats. It isn't like it is a normal thing for a pitcher to bat and get injured. Does everyone think we should pull Pilk in the 3rd if we are up 10 runs so he doesn't get injured?

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Football is fun too and Chris jones wants to play qb, so Andy Reid should make it happen

There you go you being you. Yeah football and baseball are the same.

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Every starter in the National League bats. It isn't like it is a normal thing for a pitcher to bat and get injured. Does everyone think we should pull Pilk in the 3rd if we are up 10 runs so he doesn't get injured?
The 3rd? Shit that's a little much isn't it. We score on the first then back to his bubble wrap chamber.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 12:23 PM

Difference is I guarantee you those pitchers were above average hitters is HS. Chris Jones was not an above average QB in HS.

basedog
04-19-2017, 12:25 PM

Why do you keep posting dumb statements? Chris Jones never played QB ever probably, those two pitchers who batted have batted many times before.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Skelton, then Stovall

So if we lost Lovelady last night from an at bat injury, an injured Stovall becomes our backup catcher. Contradictory logic?

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Fair point, but how many times you seen Chris sale PH in an AL game? Can we call up a HS pitcher if pilk goes down?

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Difference is I guarantee you those pitchers were above average hitters is HS. Chris Jones was not an above average QB in HS.

I bet Chris would've been good running the ball at Houston high haha

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Why do you keep posting dumb statements? Chris Jones never played QB ever probably, those two pitchers who batted have batted many times before.

That's all he knows

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:29 PM
So if we lost Lovelady last night from an at bat injury, an injured Stovall becomes our backup catcher. Contradictory logic?

Sorry, but lovelady and pilk aren't even comparable in importance to this team.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:32 PM

The real point is that we pay Cann to win games, not to make sure every player is having fun. CAnn has earned his money too... just didn't like price and pilk hitting with hitters on bench. It's over and no injuries, so let's just sweep bama now

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Over risking our 2 best pitchers on an already depleted staff, yes. Who is more important to our starting rotation, Pilkington or Gordon. And I apologize if I am wrong, but Lovelady tore his acl running to back up 1st last year, it has not prevented him from playing this year.

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 12:33 PM

Well...if lovelady gets hurt....and Stovall has to catch...and he re injures his hammy...then Skelton breaks a finger on a foul tip...then who is gonna catch Pilk

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 12:33 PM

Lovelady's defense is extremely important to this team. Wonder what the statistics are on pitchers breaking their hand during an AB are. Is it possible that it's so tiny that it was worth the risk?

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 12:34 PM
The real point is that we pay Cann to win games, not to make sure every player is having fun. CAnn has earned his money too... just didn't like price and pilk hitting with hitters on bench. It's over and no injuries, so let's just sweep bama now

By his demeanor I doubt Cann was having fun.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Well...if lovelady gets hurt....and Stovall has to catch...and he re injures his hammy...then Skelton breaks a finger on a foul tip...then who is gonna catch Pilk

Plus Cann just said at his presser that Stovall is in "excrutiating pain" every time he swings the bat bc of his hand.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Fair point, but how many times you seen Chris sale PH in an AL game? Can we call up a HS pitcher if pilk goes down?

I've seen it happen in the NL before several times a year.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:37 PM

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:38 PM

College baseball has a DH though

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Over risking our 2 best pitchers on an already depleted staff, yes. Who is more important to our starting rotation, Pilkington or Gordon. And I apologize if I am wrong, but Lovelady tore his acl running to back up 1st last year, it has not prevented him from playing this year.

My guess is the percentage of one of our pitchers getting hurt is around 1%. It rarely even happens in MLB but all of a sudden we're taking down huge risk letting our pitchers hit? Laughable. And I'm pretty sure they take BP so this isn't something foreign to them.

Be pissed at the effort of the team forcing Cann to hit pitchers- not Cann.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:44 PM
College baseball has a DH though

It also has dual position players. You know- like Mangum, Gordon, and the other hundreds that do it across the country.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:44 PM
It also has dual position players. You know- like Mangum, Gordon, and the other hundreds that do it across the country.

Is pilk a dual position guy?

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:45 PM
And if an AL team ran out of players they would hit the pitchers and everything would be fine.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Is pilk a dual position guy?

He is now.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:46 PM
He is now.

Haha what position? Dh?

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Haha what position? Dh?

Wherever Cann wants him. He hit .351 in high school his senior year. It's not like last night was the first time he ever swung a bat.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 12:49 PM
And if an AL team ran out of players they would hit the pitchers and everything would be fine.

Farm system takes away the risk we had. We can't call up a replacement. As much as I didn't like taking how ever small a risk it was batting our 2 best pitchers, I didn't like giving up even more... as long as we had an out to play with, I want us to put our best hitters up and we had 2 hitters on the bench

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 12:50 PM
My guess is the percentage of one of our pitchers getting hurt is around 1%. It rarely even happens in MLB but all of a sudden we're taking down huge risk letting our pitchers hit? Laughable. And I'm pretty sure they take BP so this isn't something foreign to them.

Be pissed at the effort of the team forcing Cann to hit pitchers- not Cann.

I understand what your saying but if Pilkington breaks a finger there everyone on here is screaming how stupid it was to expose him to that with position players available to hit. Getting hit with a 93 to 94 mph game fastball is a little different and more probable than getting hit with a batting practice pitch.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Haha what position? Dh?

I dont think Pilk's plate approach included taking one for the team to get a runner aboard. C'mon man.

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Farm system takes away the risk we had. We can't call up a replacement. As much as I didn't like taking how ever small a risk it was batting our 2 best pitchers, I didn't like giving up even more... as long as we had an out to play with, I want us to put our best hitters up and we had 2 hitters on the bench

Ditto!!play to win.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2017, 12:54 PM
I understand what your saying but if Pilkington breaks a finger there everyone on here is screaming how stupid it was to expose him to that with position players available to hit. Getting hit with a 93 to 94 mph game fastball is a little different and more probable than getting hit with a batting practice pitch.

He is far more likely to get injured pitching so I guess we need to sit him against Bama since they are bad anyway. Need to save Pilk from taking a line shot while he is pitching, that is far more likely than getting injured while batting.

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Let's not forget one of those hitters on the bench was our Saturday starter, and the other actually has torn an ACL during an AB.

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Wherever Cann wants him. He hit .351 in high school his senior year. It's not like last night was the first time he ever swung a bat.

Seriously not trying to be a jerk, but hitting .350 in high school is a little different than hitting collegiality.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:56 PM

You think a guy in AAA is just as good as a MLB player? Again there is risk she any player plays any game. If Cole Gordon hit what's the difference? I'm fine resting Lovelady.

You're bitching about something that could have happened BUT DIDN'T. And baseball history tells us your concern is overblown based on over 100 years of evidence. This would be like me bitching because I might get hit by a meteor.. It "could" happen but the odds are low. That doesn't mean I shouldn't go outside my house.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Seriously not trying to be a jerk, but hitting .350 in high school is a little different than hitting collegiality.

Not to be a jerk but the point is he has swung a bat before. And that was just one of the many years it he did throughout his life.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2017, 01:01 PM
So who was benched and who did Pilk and Price hit for? I didn't get to watch the game so who needed a wake up call?

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Ditto!!play to win.

You don't win with the shitty effort our starters gave. THAT was the point. Cann actually did what you wanted him to do but you're too ignorant to see it.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 01:03 PM
You think a guy in AAA is just as good as a MLB player? Again there is risk she any player plays any game. If Cole Gordon hit what's the difference? I'm fine resting Lovelady.

You're bitching about something that could have happened BUT DIDN'T. And baseball history tells us your concern is overblown based on over 100 years of evidence. This would be like me bitching because I might get hit by a meteor.. It "could" happen but the odds are low. That doesn't mean I shouldn't go outside my house.

We quit. That did happen.

Comparing MLB to this just dumb though... how many times you seen an MLB team PH their best starter and closer with 2 hitters on the bench?

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:06 PM

It's always fine and remote until it happens, then everyone wants to say why were we doing that with our Friday night starter. Could he get hurt pitching, yes of course he could but that is a calculated risk you have to take, exposing him at the plate for literally no gain is not a good calculated risk. Where is he more valuable to our team pitching or hitting.

BrunswickDawg
04-19-2017, 01:09 PM

Braves used to use Glavine as PH and Maddux and Smoltz as Pinch Runners regularly.

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:16 PM
You don't win with the shitty effort our starters gave. THAT was the point. Cann actually did what you wanted him to do but you're too ignorant to see it.

Ok so now I am ignorant. If that makes us win then by all means let the pitchers hit then. Something tells me there is a reason their mostly pitching and not hitting on a regular basis. And based on our record and tied for 2nd in the SEC I would say we have been winning. I understand your point but we will have to agree to disagree. Team has no wiggle room for another unnecessary injury if they can avoid it, especially to our Friday night guy. Unless he gets hit by a meteor of course ha ha! Then we all have bigger fish to fry.

TNDawg35
04-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Braves used to use Glavine as PH and Maddux and Smoltz as Pinch Runners regularly.

Shit! Maddux used to be one of the best, if not the best hitting pitcher in the NL... He could hit a bomb off you in a heart beat!

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Braves also have a farm system to call upon in the event of injuries, who we gonna call.

Gutter Cobreh
04-19-2017, 01:21 PM
I've come to the conclusion that we have a lot of female politicians that are going through menopause posting to this site!! There is simply no other explanation for amount of double talk or hormonal imbalance seen from the same posters day in and day out.

One day Cann is the best coach, then the next he sucks because he PH using a couple of pitchers. For the love of all that is holy, it was one game in a long season with a lot of ball left to play. While this is his first season, I do think he has earned the ability to manage the team and subsequently the ability to do as he pleases in regards to personnel.

My only saving grace is that there seems to be a general consensus among everyone that Hev still sucks at recruiting. If he ever leaves and we lose that commonality, we're doomed!!!!

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:22 PM
We quit. That did happen.

Comparing MLB to this just dumb though... how many times you seen an MLB team PH their best starter and closer with 2 hitters on the bench?

Agreed, we quit, plain and simple. Not acceptable.

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Agreed, we quit, plain and simple. Not acceptable.

And Cann addressed it! Where have you morons missed that?!?

sleepy dawg
04-19-2017, 01:27 PM
heck even the USA fans were pissed, some didn't feel like they got to see our real team and felt their victory was watered down. Embarrassment to the university, the team and to the fans.

First off, f*ck USA and what they think. That is completely irrelevant and doesn't even deserved to be mentioned. As a matter of fact, I want the opposing team be pissed. But, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that USA wasn't pissed, they will probably take the win just like we would if we could.

Second, an embarrassment to the university, the team, and the fans?... No. Lose a game to them in football and its embarrassing to the university, team, and the fans. Last night might have sucked, but we'll get over it.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Ok so now I am ignorant. If that makes us win then by all means let the pitchers hit then. Something tells me there is a reason their mostly pitching and not hitting on a regular basis. And based on our record and tied for 2nd in the SEC I would say we have been winning. I understand your point but we will have to agree to disagree. Team has no wiggle room for another unnecessary injury if they can avoid it, especially to our Friday night guy. Unless he gets hit by a meteor of course ha ha! Then we all have bigger fish to fry.

We didn't have the wiggle room to throw Cyr and Marrero off the team either. I don't see people regularly bitching about that. Canny felt he needed to lose depth to get the team where he wanted it. Maybe he thought it was important to show that he was willing to let the guys who want it the most to play. We don't know what would happen if he didn't sit people down. I will say that after we wrapped up the USCe series, on Sunday we looked like shit against their worst starter. Then we turned around and looked like shit against South Alabama. Canny has shown he doesn't put up with shitty effort but sometimes players have to be reminded. He can do whatever he wants in practice but it doesn't carry the same weight as doing it in a game.

basedog
04-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Not only did Cann address the situation with the players, NO ONE GOT HURT!

Stop the madness and move on!

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:32 PM
And Cann addressed it! Where have you morons missed that?!?

Didn't miss it, coach quit on the team in the 7th inning by sending 4 pitchers to the plate in a 3 run game with 3 team swings left, I think this team has proven they don't give up with multiple comeback wins and righting the ship after the Arkansas sweep. Look I really hope and think Cannizarro wins many many games and championships here but last night was a coach throwing his team under the bus, on and off the field.It would be more understandable if they were 5-25 or last place in the SEC but that's not the case.

Ari Gold
04-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Didn't miss it, coach quit on the team in the 7th inning by sending 4 pitchers to the plate in a 3 run game with 3 team swings left, I think this team has proven they don't give up with multiple comeback wins and righting the ship after the Arkansas sweep. Look I really hope and think Cannizarro wins many many games and championships here but last night was a coach throwing his team under the bus, on and off the field.It would be more understandable if they were 5-25 or last place in the SEC but that's not the case.

See that 11 by ur post count.. let's keep it right there..

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Shit! Maddux used to be one of the best, if not the best hitting pitcher in the NL... He could hit a bomb off you in a heart beat!

Then why didn't he hit on his non pitching days as well? Other players were better hitters overall, that's why.

Percho
04-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Coach, I'm not going to class today. As a matter of fact, I'm staying in bed. Scared if I get up I might twist an ankle.

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:42 PM
We didn't have the wiggle room to throw Cyr and Marrero off the team either. I don't see people regularly bitching about that. Canny felt he needed to lose depth to get the team where he wanted it. Maybe he thought it was important to show that he was willing to let the guys who want it the most to play. We don't know what would happen if he didn't sit people down. I will say that after we wrapped up the USCe series, on Sunday we looked like shit against their worst starter. Then we turned around and looked like shit against South Alabama. Canny has shown he doesn't put up with shitty effort but sometimes players have to be reminded. He can do whatever he wants in practice but it doesn't carry the same weight as doing it in a game.

Their worst starter will go in the top 50 of the MLB draft along with their Friday and Saturday starter. We took 2 out of 3 from them at their place and was in a 1-1 tie with them in the 8th inning on Sunday.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2017, 01:45 PM

I guess he quit on the season when he kicked off our starting catcher and probable Saturday starter. Marrero was also supposed to be one of the better hitters on the team. I don't know what your issue is but I think everything Canny has done to this point gives him some leeway. The fact is that he thought he needed to do something drastic to get the team's focus back to where it should be. We didn't look like a team that would win another series on Sunday and Tuesday. Unless you are at every practice and team meeting then I doubt you know everything that Canny is taking into consideration.

Cooterpoot
04-19-2017, 01:45 PM
It's a damn shame we can't pinch hit for Dawgpatrol. He needs to sit. One of you guys take a chance on a pulling a hammy and take over this thing.

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Coach, I'm not going to class today. As a matter of fact, I'm staying in bed. Scared if I get up I might twist an ankle.

Got nothing to do with twisted ankles everything to do with your Friday night guy getting plunked on the hand and breaking finger/s in an at bat for no apparent benefit. No need to take that risk for no benefit. You say it can't happen, ask our 2nd baseman how his hand is doing.

yjnkdawg
04-19-2017, 01:50 PM
See that 11 by ur post count.. let's keep it right there..

He didn't listen Ari as he is at 13 now. I wonder if 13 is an unlucky number?

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 01:52 PM
I guess he quit on the season when he kicked off our starting catcher and probable Saturday starter. Marrero was also supposed to be one of the better hitters on the team. I don't know what your issue is but I think everything Canny has done to this point gives him some leeway. The fact is that he thought he needed to do something drastic to get the team's focus back to where it should be. We didn't look like a team that would win another series on Sunday and Tuesday. Unless you are at every practice and team meeting then I doubt you know everything that Canny is taking into consideration.

Never said he quit on the season, said he quit on the team in that game last night. Never said he is bad coach, said he is learning to be a head coach and for the sake of the dawgs, I hope a really really good one.

Homedawg
04-19-2017, 01:58 PM
Never said he quit on the season, said he quit on the team in that game last night. Never said he is bad coach, said he is learning to be a head coach and for the sake of the dawgs, I hope a really really good one.

You also said, there wasn't a lack of effort except.... Just stop. You made your point. Not very well, but it's been heard or seen...maybe.

yjnkdawg

Well you just joined this month. So I doubt you would have a 100+ posts. So coaching doesn't matter? Where do you think our team would be after the ARK sweep, if Cann had not taken the actions he did. Probably sitting at the bottom of the SEC? And the job that Cann and Henderson have done with a decimated pitching staff is remarkable. And midweek loses do happen. ask Fl or any other major college baseball school. If Cann needs to do something to keep the train from jumping off the track, I'm all for it.

Tbonewannabe

What he did kicking off Cyr and Marrero should be a lot more impactful to the season than letting a couple of pitchers bat. Jolly has pitch ran and McQuary pinch hit earlier in the year so it isn't like this was the first time he ever did anything like this. Do I think letting Pilk pinch hit is the smartest thing, no but I also don't know all the ins and outs of the team. You never can tell who might have a nagging injury that he is letting rest. In our run to the National Title game most people thought Cohen was a dumbass for not letting Trey Porter hit more. After the season we find out he had some issue with his eyes and it was hard for him to pick up the ball. So most people don't know the whole story.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2017, 02:00 PM
You say it can't happen, ask our 2nd baseman how his hand is doing.

I think this is the point people are making "It Didn't Happen". Could have happened? Sure but it didn't so there's no need to keep belaboring a point that didn't happen.

yjnkdawg
04-19-2017, 02:02 PM

Are you a member of our baseball team? Well, if not then how do you know if he quit on the team last night. If you weren't in that dugout, you have no clue of what happened other than what you saw on the field.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 02:28 PM
What he did kicking off Cyr and Marrero should be a lot more impactful to the season than letting a couple of pitchers bat. Jolly has pitch ran and McQuary pinch hit earlier in the year so it isn't like this was the first time he ever did anything like this. Do I think letting Pilk pinch hit is the smartest thing, no but I also don't know all the ins and outs of the team. You never can tell who might have a nagging injury that he is letting rest. In our run to the National Title game most people thought Cohen was a dumbass for not letting Trey Porter hit more. After the season we find out he had some issue with his eyes and it was hard for him to pick up the ball. So most people don't know the whole story.

I still think it was suspending Mangum that had the most impact. Apparently Cyr was a douchebag based on what I have heard and getting rid of him may have helped from that standpoint because it probably made things more pleasant. But suspending your All-American CF for a rivalry game in Jackson I think got his point across more than anything.

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Are you a member of our baseball team? Well, if not then how do you know if he quit on the team last night. If you weren't in that dugout, you have no clue of what happened other than what you saw on the field.

Precisely, it's what happened on the field that told me he quit on the game and threw in the towel in the 7th inning of the game down 3-0. Who takes out their leadoff hitter and reigning SEC freshmen of the year who hit over .400 last year and hitting over .350ish this year and inserts a pitcher pinch hitter along with 3 other pitchers who haven't had any or many at bats this year. And don't tell me because of leadoff hitters hand, if that the case then why did he play at all, not to mention other hitters with pitchers and hitters hitting below the Mendoza line. If the score was 10-0 or 15-0. Then maybe you throw in the towel but at 3-0 no way. I get the fact he wanted to make a point or whatever but at the end of the day games are played to be won at this level, not motivate, motivation can come at practice or elsewhere

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 02:37 PM

And they wouldn't have hit if we had other position players to hit for them. Shit the pitchers had almost as many hits as the regulars. That in and of itself should tell you why you are wrong when some of them are taking better AB's than the position players.

Your opinion is misplaced at Cann. HE'S the only one that didn't give up. You should be pissed off at the team for their unacceptable effort. Sorry you lost 10 bucks having to watch that- but at least point your finger at the real culprits and it's not the baseball coach in this case. As a fan I expect a certain level of effort from our players and clearly we didn't get that from the position players but Cann is doing something about it and that's all I can reasonably expect and ask for.

If Pilkington had gotten hurt- I'd probably be pissed off at whoever he had to pinch hit for forcing Cann to put him in the game. I'm sure that genius thought never crossed your mind.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 02:39 PM

I remember that. But hey- what does Bobby Cox know? I'm sure the Braves had someone just as good as those guys at AAA**.

TNDawg35
04-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Is anyone else getting the feeling either Dawgpatrol is a player or a players parent?

msstate7
04-19-2017, 02:43 PM
I remember that. But hey- what does Bobby Cox know? I'm sure the Braves had someone just as good as those guys at AAA**.

Cox went and got the best defensive CF the game has seen mid-inning for lack of effort. Cox didn't put glavine in CF though... I think you can make your point and still actually try to win the game

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Is anyone else getting the feeling either Dawgpatrol is a player or a players parent?

Nope, way to old to be a player and way to sterile to be a parent.

confucius say
04-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Precisely, it's what happened on the field that told me he quit on the game and threw in the towel in the 7th inning of the game down 3-0. Who takes out their leadoff hitter and reigning SEC freshmen of the year who hit over .400 last year and hitting over .350ish this year and inserts a pitcher pinch hitter along with 3 other pitchers who haven't had any or many at bats this year. And don't tell me because of leadoff hitters hand, if that the case then why did he play at all, not to mention other hitters with pitchers and hitters hitting below the Mendoza line. If the score was 10-0 or 15-0. Then maybe you throw in the towel but at 3-0 no way. I get the fact he wanted to make a point or whatever but at the end of the day games are played to be won at this level, not motivate, motivation can come at practice or elsewhere

I have no problem with conceding that loss last night in the 7th if it motivates our guys to go 9-6 in sec play from here out. Cann is thinking big picture.

Jack Lambert
04-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Some times people get cocky and need to be put in their place.

LC Dawg
04-19-2017, 03:01 PM
I didn't get to listen to much of the game but from looking at the box score it looks like Cannizaro should have gone to the pitchers earlier at the plate.
Barlow walked, Jolley got on by error and scored, and Price got 1/3 of our hits. I would say that pretty much shows a lack of effort by most of our team when three pitchers produce more at the plate than our every day starters.
Coach Cannizaro is trying to win a national championship, not a midweek game in April.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Cox went and got the best defensive CF the game has seen mid-inning for lack of effort. Cox didn't put glavine in CF though... I think you can make your point and still actually try to win the game

What if Canny thought the guys he put in were giving the effort in practice and had the focus in the dugout, that is the thing none of us know unless you are at practice and the games.

Commercecomet24
04-19-2017, 03:04 PM
None of us know whats going on in that dugout or on the practice field. Heck he could've challenged his guys in the dugout last night and they didn't respond the way he wanted. Been in the same position, challenge a player and he doesn't compete like you want so you sit his butt and you keep running people out there until you find someone who will. Appears that's what happened last night. Cannizaro, Henderson and the rest of the staff are the reason this season hasn't fallen apart. I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trust his judgement on doing what's best for the team, seeing as how he's the only one who knows the whole picture.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2017, 03:04 PM

So if he got on them in practice on Monday and then they still were unfocused during the game, he should wait to do something about it until the next practice? Some guys won't take it seriously unless their are real repercussions like losing game time. You don't know what he did before trying to motivate them. I seriously doubt he just decided the first time someone didn't run out of the batters box to pull them. He obviously was seeing a trend he didn't like and decided to fix it before the back half of SEC play.

HoopsDawg
04-19-2017, 03:06 PM

It seems like we have bought in. Thus the 10 out of 11. You are going to have off nights every now and then in baseball. I'm not sure batting the whole pitching staff is the right way to handle it, but whatever.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2017, 03:08 PM
None of us know whats going on in that dugout or on the practice field. Heck he could've challenged his guys in the dugout last night and they didn't respond the way he wanted. Been in the same position, challenge a player and he doesn't compete like you want so you sit his butt and you keep running people out there until you find someone who will. Appears that's what happened last night. Cannizaro, Henderson and the rest of the staff are the reason this season hasn't fallen apart. I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and trust his judgement on doing what's best for the team, seeing as how he's the only one who knows the whole picture.

This is more than likely the correct answer. I doubt Canny just randomly chose to send out our Ace to hit just for shits and giggles. There has been meltdowns on this and other boards over things like Trey Porter not playing every day and then after the season you learn they are battling an injury. Dak not running as much was another one and then we find out they kept quiet his broken ribs from a car accident. Most of the coaches at this level aren't total morons.

Commercecomet24
04-19-2017, 03:15 PM
This is more than likely the correct answer. I doubt Canny just randomly chose to send out our Ace to hit just for shits and giggles. There has been meltdowns on this and other boards over things like Trey Porter not playing every day and then after the season you learn they are battling an injury. Dak not running as much was another one and then we find out they kept quiet his broken ribs from a car accident. Most of the coaches at this level aren't total morons.

Exactly! I can guarantee that no one wants to win worse than Cann! The dude is a competitor and a winner. He didn't do what he did just for laughs.

Doggie_Style
04-19-2017, 03:16 PM

That kind of sophomoric move can go more than one way. Maybe it does spark the team but it may also result in breaking the momentum this team has developed the last few weeks and sending us into a tail spin. I think it was the wrong decision on Cann's part but the remainder of the season will have the final say.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2017, 03:27 PM
That kind of sophomoric move can go more than one way. Maybe it does spark the team but it may also result in breaking the momentum this team has developed the last few weeks and sending us into a tail spin. I think it was the wrong decision on Cann's part but the remainder of the season will have the final say.

But just letting things go and still losing to USA would definitely have an impact on the rest of the year.

Commercecomet24
04-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Amazing when Bear Bryant did this kind of thing, he was called a great coach. Guess times have changed.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 03:41 PM

First of all, Andruw Jones wasn't as good as Willie Mays defensively or Ken Griffey, Jr., among others. He's overrated at best, lazy at worst.

Second of all Cox had other outfielders to use.

Thirdly we did try to win the ****ing game by putting the best available players on the field that we could late. You know how I know that? Because of Cann's interview after the game where he told the media that you either give full effort (paraphrase because I know that's not the exact and you're going to nitpick it) you're going to be sitting by him on the bench.

On top of that, I have seen MLB teams use pitchers in the OF before too. I remember the Cubs doing it a few years ago. I remember the Cardinals doing it with Todd Worrell against the Mets in the 80's and then double switching out for a L/R match-up.

The BOTTOM LINE is what he did wasn't risky statistically speaking. NOTHING happened in terms of injury- which is not shocking given the odds. And if you think we weren't trying to win the game- you're clueless. And going after Cann for putting the best players available to us at the time- and remember the Braves can't legally call up players in the middle of a game because of MLB roster rules so get out of here with that bullshit as if the guys at AAA are just as good anyway- and then saying that he "gave up" because he took out players that were already giving HALF ASSED EFFORT and weren't going to change in that moment anyway is contradictory at worst and just plain baseball ignorant at best.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Amazing when Bear Bryant did this kind of thing, he was called a great coach. Guess times have changed.

We can't have coaches that yell, or do things that might hurt our players feelings. Or maybe they're just sports/baseball ignorant.

Some of these guys sound like my Mom telling me I could have gotten into an accident on I-55 when I was driving there in high school. Even though- guess what? It didn't happen.

I mean, I can't wrap around my head that they think our coach actually "quit" because he took out players that weren't giving full effort like they should. What the hell do they want? And then because he had to put in pitchers because we're down to like 23 guys or whatever it is they're mad because "someone could have gotten hurt?" And to top it off- NO ONE EVEN GOT HURT!

It's ludicrous.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 03:56 PM

I think he's what I call a "pleaser".

You know- one of those "it's only a game, let's all have fun and show good sportsmanship and then if we lose we'll just all talk about how we're more classy than the other team" people. I can't stand those people personally.

Commercecomet24
04-19-2017, 04:00 PM
We can't have coaches that yell, or do things that might hurt our players feelings. Or maybe they're just sports/baseball ignorant.

Some of these guys sound like my Mom telling me I could have gotten into an accident on I-55 when I was driving there in high school. Even though- guess what? It didn't happen.

I mean, I can't wrap around my head that they think our coach actually "quit" because he took out players that weren't giving full effort like they should. What the hell do they want? And then because he had to put in pitchers because we're down to like 23 guys or whatever it is they're mad because "someone could have gotten hurt?" And to top it off- NO ONE EVEN GOT HURT!

It's ludicrous.

Yep. I know one thing for sure and without question, the first time you give in and don't correct lollygagging and lack of effort it becomes epidemic and you're screwed. Baseball really is different than a lot of sports because it moves at a more leisurely pace and sometimes it's easy(especially with young,young players) to lose focus and sometimes reality has to hit them upside the head. Had a coach years ago used to call those little teaching moments "brain dusters".

Commercecomet24
04-19-2017, 04:00 PM

You know- one of those "it's only a game, let's all have fun and show good sportsmanship and then if we lose we'll just all talk about how we're more classy than the other team" people. I can't stand those people personally.

Rep Given!

msstate7
04-19-2017, 04:10 PM
First of all, Andruw Jones wasn't as good as Willie Mays defensively or Ken Griffey, Jr., among others. He's overrated at best, lazy at worst.

Second of all Cox had other outfielders to use.

Thirdly we did try to win the ****ing game by putting the best available players on the field that we could late. You know how I know that? Because of Cann's interview after the game where he told the media that you either give full effort (paraphrase because I know that's not the exact and you're going to nitpick it) you're going to be sitting by him on the bench.

On top of that, I have seen MLB teams use pitchers in the OF before too. I remember the Cubs doing it a few years ago. I remember the Cardinals doing it with Todd Worrell against the Mets in the 80's and then double switching out for a L/R match-up.

The BOTTOM LINE is what he did wasn't risky statistically speaking. NOTHING happened in terms of injury- which is not shocking given the odds. And if you think we weren't trying to win the game- you're clueless. And going after Cann for putting the best players available to us at the time- and remember the Braves can't legally call up players in the middle of a game because of MLB roster rules so get out of here with that bullshit as if the guys at AAA are just as good anyway- and then saying that he "gave up" because he took out players that were already giving HALF ASSED EFFORT and weren't going to change in that moment anyway is contradictory at worst and just plain baseball ignorant at best.

Griffey better than andruw? Lol

UZR...
KG = -110
AJ = 128.8

Def value on fangraphs...
KG = -39.6
AJ = 281.3

Willie mays' best Def value on fangraphs was 20.1 in '54. Andruw topped that 8 times with a max at 38.5

Baseball reference disagrees with you also.

dWAR...
AJ = 24.1
KG = 1.3
WM = 18.1

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Griffey better than andruw? Lol

UZR...
KG = -110
AJ = 128.8

Def value on fangraphs...
KG = -39.6
AJ = 281.3

Willie mays' best Def value on fangraphs was 20.1 in '54. Andruw topped that 8 times with a max at 38.5

Using unrefined defensive metrics to prove a point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpkco2rHsKc

Times Andruw Jones was pulled for loafing? At least twice.

The only people that think that Andruw Jones is best CF of all time are Braves homers.

This would be like me claiming that Ozzie Smith is a better SS than Derek Jeter solely because of his defense.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Using unrefined defensive metrics to prove a point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpkco2rHsKc

Times Andruw Jones was pulled for loafing? At least twice.

The only people that think that Andruw Jones is best CF of all time are Braves homers.

This would be like me claiming that Ozzie Smith is a better SS than Derek Jeter solely because of his defense.

I never saw Willie mays, but Griffey over Andruw is just dumb. I don't need stats to know that, but the stats show Griffey wasn't even good in CF much less in Andruw's class

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Yep. I know one thing for sure and without question, the first time you give in and don't correct lollygagging and lack of effort it becomes epidemic and you're screwed. Baseball really is different than a lot of sports because it moves at a more leisurely pace and sometimes it's easy(especially with young,young players) to lose focus and sometimes reality has to hit them upside the head. Had a coach years ago used to call those little teaching moments "brain dusters".

Exactly and thank you for the rep!

Bama_Dawg
04-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Ok, let me see if I can address a few points:

1. Pilk is from South MS, just 20 minutes away from Mobile and USA's campus. He wasn't going to pitch, but his family and hometown friends were there. So let the kid play.
2. Pilk played 1B in HS too, and could crank the ball. But from the look of last night and how he waved at the 3rd strike, he's not picked up a bat in a while. So he could play 1B, but would be a liability at the plate until he got more comfortable batting again. Dual position threat, hardly, but in a pinch, could be.
3. Cann showed NO fire last night and showed me that he didn't care about a mid-week game. There were 2 questionable calls on bang/bang plays at first that from my eye were dead wrong and both went in USA's favor. Cann should have been in the ump's face for that. He did get catcher interference called on USA and we got a free base runner, but still those other plays were difference makers too.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 04:33 PM
I never saw Willie mays, but Griffey over Andruw is just dumb. I don't need stats to know that, but the stats show Griffey wasn't even good in CF much less in Andruw's class

It's dumb if you're a Braves homer. Of course I don't particularly care for players that are lazy and based on this thread you obviously have no problem with that.

MLB Network did a list of the top 9 CF's of all time and Jones didn't even MAKE THE LIST. Griffey, Jr. did. I guess they're dumb too.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 04:36 PM
It's dumb if you're a Braves homer. Of course I don't particularly care for players that are lazy and based on this thread you obviously have no problem with that.

MLB Network did a list of the top 9 CF's of all time and Jones didn't even MAKE THE LIST. Griffey, Jr. did. I guess they're dumb too.

If they made a list of the best DEFENSIVE CFs of all time and Andruw wasn't top 9, then yeah, they dumb

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Ok, let me see if I can address a few points:

1. Pilk is from South MS, just 20 minutes away from Mobile and USA's campus. He wasn't going to pitch, but his family and hometown friends were there. So let the kid play.
2. Pilk played 1B in HS too, and could crank the ball. But from the look of last night and how he waved at the 3rd strike, he's not picked up a bat in a while. So he could play 1B, but would be a liability at the plate until he got more comfortable batting again. Dual position threat, hardly, but in a pinch, could be.
3. Cann showed NO fire last night and showed me that he didn't care about a mid-week game. There were 2 questionable calls on bang/bang plays at first that from my eye were dead wrong and both went in USA's favor. Cann should have been in the ump's face for that. He did get catcher interference called on USA and we got a free base runner, but still those other plays were difference makers too.

One thing I've learned from watching baseball is if the coaches don't get upset about a bang bang call it's probably because the coaches thought the umpire got it right.

Cooterpoot
04-19-2017, 04:37 PM

Before injuries to Griffey, there was no comparison. I could name 10 better centerfielders than Jones just off the top of my head. Braves fans .........

msstate7
04-19-2017, 04:38 PM

Just curious... which of our players are lazy and you don't care for?

msstate7
04-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Before injuries to Griffey, there was no comparison. I could name 10 better centerfielders than Jones just off the top of my head. Braves fans .........

Let's hear em... is it just your eye test or can you back it up with actual stats?

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 04:40 PM
If they made a list of the best DEFENSIVE CFs of all time and Andruw wasn't top 9, then yeah, they dumb

If they made a top 9 of players that wasted their talent he would be on that list too. Probably at number one. I don't care what the stats say- I can't put someone that lazy at number one. Especially with stats that are likely to be outdated in a few years.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Just curious... which of our players are lazy and you don't care for?

The same ones that Cann called out for their effort last night.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 04:44 PM

I think Mays made the best play in baseball history. Some of Griffey's were memorable too- like the time he broke his wrist making that catch in CF when he was with the Mariners. I honestly can't think of an Andruw Jones play that stands out to me. Edmonds arm wasn't as good- but he was a better player than Jones and he made some ridiculous plays. Trout is a great CF too. Torrii Hunter is great.

Bama_Dawg
04-19-2017, 04:47 PM
One thing I've learned from watching baseball is if the coaches don't get upset about a bang bang call it's probably because the coaches thought the umpire got it right.

One thing I've learned coaching baseball is if you get on an ump, the next time there is a questionable call, he'll be more likely to call in your favor just to keep you off his a$$.

Or either toss you...but hey, its a mid-week game...

Cooterpoot
04-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Let's hear em... is it just your eye test or can you back it up with actual stats?

In no particular order:
1. Mays
2. Mantle
3. Cobb
4. Trout (will eventually be the greatest ever barring injury)
5. Cool Pappa Bell
6. Griffey
7. DiMaggio
8. Duke Snider (I debated this one)
9. Beltran
10. Speaker

I'd probably drop Andrew with a U around 15-20 maybe.

basedog
04-19-2017, 04:53 PM
msstate7, here you go again on a entirely different subject, this post wasn't about the Braves but yet you go into that energize bunny trot which keeps this post longer and longer. Plus you've said in at least 6 or 7 replies you didn't like Cann's decision last night then you go into the "WHAT IF" someone gets hurt, no one did!

Please someone get a block button.

msstate7
04-19-2017, 04:58 PM
I think Mays made the best play in baseball history. Some of Griffey's were memorable too- like the time he broke his wrist making that catch in CF when he was with the Mariners. I honestly can't think of an Andruw Jones play that stands out to me. Edmonds arm wasn't as good- but he was a better player than Jones and he made some ridiculous plays. Trout is a great CF too. Torrii Hunter is great.

Kiermaier and inciarte are best defensive CFs right now. I know, I know (haha) inciarte is a brave, but he is right below kiermaier

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 05:01 PM
One thing I've learned coaching baseball is if you get on an ump, the next time there is a questionable call, he'll be more likely to call in your favor just to keep you off his a$$.

Or either toss you...but hey, its a mid-week game...

Or sometimes you'll piss them off and then you won't get any calls. It just depends on the umpire.

Homedawg
04-19-2017, 05:31 PM

This. And fight the fights worth fighting. Or only if you've gotten hosed before. It's like bitching about balls and strikes after they guy missed one pitch. Gets you nowhere.

Maroon Wizardry
04-19-2017, 05:57 PM
If Cohen had done this people would lose their shit. If the players aren't giving their all then why are we 2nd in the league? It is tough to play at such a high level college baseball consistently. Maybe our guys were a little exhausted. Its mid season and he's gonna throw what few players he has under the bus? He'll lose all of them with that kind of shit. I like the Cann and think he is a great hitting coach but he also does seem to be a little short sighted. Maybe this will be a learning experience for both the players and the coach.

I seen it dawg
04-19-2017, 06:28 PM

He didn't quit on shit. You're ****ing lost.

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 07:06 PM

I'm on here saying try and win the game and your saying play everyone but I'm the one who is trying to please everyone. Plus best available hitters available were Gordon or Lovelady at least according to them being identified as position players. All I read before the season was Gordon can smash it and how we have to get him in the lineup, well put him up to bat over pitchers in a 3-0 game with 2 runners on and see if he can smash one then.

Bothrops
04-19-2017, 07:51 PM
Well, I hope this rant kept the OP from going the way of the dodo bird.

smootness
04-19-2017, 09:19 PM

First, it's hilarious to see a Cardinals fan say something like this.

Second:
http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/54905/andruw-jones-was-once-the-best-ever
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/1/21/14326824/hall-of-fame-andruw-jones-braves
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-defense-of-andruw-jones-hall-of-fame-credentials/
http://www.gammonsdaily.com/is-andruw-jones-a-hall-of-famer/

Andruw Jones is underrated. He is the unquestioned best defensive CF of all-time, and in his prime he was flat out unbelievable there. If you don't know of any plays, it's because you never watched him. The spider-man catch is at least as good as Mays' over-the-shoulder catch, it just didn't come in the World Series. And part of Andruw's genius was that when you saw him have to really run down a catch but ultimately make it standing up, there is a good chance that no other CF in baseball history makes the play without laying out completely for it.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 09:24 PM
I'm on here saying try and win the game and your saying play everyone but I'm the one who is trying to please everyone. Plus best available hitters available were Gordon or Lovelady at least according to them being identified as position players. All I read before the season was Gordon can smash it and how we have to get him in the lineup, well put him up to bat over pitchers in a 3-0 game with 2 runners on and see if he can smash one then.

Where did I say "play everyone"? I said play the guys that are playing hard. We just so happened to have to empty the bench to do that and you didn't like it. It's pretty ironic that you don't want us to hit our Friday night guy but out Saturday night guy is OK? And I'm still fine with Cann resting Lovelady.

You are a "pleaser". You're all worried about the players about Cann throwing them under the bus- which he didn't do-, what the South Alabama fans thought and all of that other bullshit, and how someone "could have" gotten hurt and blaming Cann for it all the while not even realizing the THE REASON he did what he did was because the players weren't putting out an acceptable performance. And to me- honestly- it's disrespectful to the game of baseball to not play as hard as you can no matter who the opponent is. But none of that other crap that you're talking about matters. It would be real ****ing nice if you just let our coach handle this his way since that's what we're paying him to do not to mention so far he has done a pretty good job and he deserves at least a benefit of the doubt. A coach that has played in the Big Leagues and knows what kind of effort it takes to get there and be a pro- which you have zero concept of. If you put forth a half assed effort in MLB every night you're going to be riding a bus and playing for a team called the Baby Cakes or some crap like that.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 09:26 PM
If Cohen had done this people would lose their shit. If the players aren't giving their all then why are we 2nd in the league? It is tough to play at such a high level college baseball consistently. Maybe our guys were a little exhausted. Its mid season and he's gonna throw what few players he has under the bus? He'll lose all of them with that kind of shit. I like the Cann and think he is a great hitting coach but he also does seem to be a little short sighted. Maybe this will be a learning experience for both the players and the coach.

No one is saying that they haven't given their all the entire year. Everyone IS saying- including the coach- that we didn't give our all last night and that's unacceptable.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 09:36 PM
First, it's hilarious to see a Cardinals fan say something like this.

Second:
http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/54905/andruw-jones-was-once-the-best-ever
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2017/1/21/14326824/hall-of-fame-andruw-jones-braves
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/in-defense-of-andruw-jones-hall-of-fame-credentials/
http://www.gammonsdaily.com/is-andruw-jones-a-hall-of-famer/

Andruw Jones is underrated. He is the unquestioned best defensive CF of all-time, and in his prime he was flat out unbelievable there. If you don't know of any plays, it's because you never watched him. The spider-man catch is at least as good as Mays' over-the-shoulder catch, it just didn't come in the World Series. And part of Andruw's genius was that when you saw him have to really run down a catch but ultimately make it standing up, there is a good chance that no other CF in baseball history makes the play without laying out completely for it.

He's "underrated" because he was lazy. I've only seen him in person a few times. It's hilarious to see anyone say that any Andruw Jones catch ever was as good as Mays catch. Mays had to run almost 500 feet in the old Polo Grounds to make that catch and then he threw a strike from CF to prevent the runners from advancing. He's the best defensive center fielder of all time- if you're a Braves fan. Mays UZR would probably be better if he told the other OF's around him to play a little wider in the outfielder so that he could cover more ground.

smootness
04-19-2017, 09:50 PM
He's "underrated" because he was lazy. I've only seen him in person a few times. It's hilarious to see anyone say that any Andruw Jones catch ever was as good as Mays catch. Mays had to run almost 500 feet in the old Polo Grounds to make that catch and then he threw a strike from CF to prevent the runners from advancing. He's the best defensive center fielder of all time- if you're a Braves fan. Mays UZR would probably be better if he told the other OF's around him to play a little wider in the outfielder so that he could cover more ground.

The fact that you think Mays' UZR could be lower because other OFs were too close to him pretty much says it all.

I gave you four links of mainstream sources who think Andruw is at the very least one of the top handful of CFs ever defensively.

And Andruw wasn't lazy. That is a reputation that he got because he acted nonchalant on routine plays and smiled a lot. You don't play the way he played if you're lazy. And if you do - if Andruw Jones really was lazy - he was still the greatest defensive OFer of all time. So you sure do think an awful lot of his natural ability.

500 feet...good gosh, man. How big do you think the Polo Grounds was?

Commercecomet24
04-19-2017, 09:51 PM
No one is saying that they haven't given their all the entire year. Everyone IS saying- including the coach- that we didn't give our all last night and that's unacceptable.

This. It doesn't mean they don't care or haven't played hard but last night they didn't compete like Cann expects them to compete. What Cann did last night used to be common years ago. He challenged them they didn't respond last night so with his limited roster he tried to find some players who would compete. If these players have the heart that they've shown all year then they will be embarrassed by their performance last night and will take responsibility and get their crap wired tight again. Personally I love Canns old school approach.

Dawgpatrol
04-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Where did I say "play everyone"? I said play the guys that are playing hard. We just so happened to have to empty the bench to do that and you didn't like it. It's pretty ironic that you don't want us to hit our Friday night guy but out Saturday night guy is OK? And I'm still fine with Cann resting Lovelady.

You are a "pleaser". You're all worried about the players about Cann throwing them under the bus- which he didn't do-, what the South Alabama fans thought and all of that other bullshit, and how someone "could have" gotten hurt and blaming Cann for it all the while not even realizing the THE REASON he did what he did was because the players weren't putting out an acceptable performance. And to me- honestly- it's disrespectful to the game of baseball to not play as hard as you can no matter who the opponent is. But none of that other crap that you're talking about matters. It would be real ****ing nice if you just let our coach handle this his way since that's what we're paying him to do not to mention so far he has done a pretty good job and he deserves at least a benefit of the doubt. A coach that has played in the Big Leagues and knows what kind of effort it takes to get there and be a pro- which you have zero concept of. If you put forth a half assed effort in MLB every night you're going to be riding a bus and playing for a team called the Baby Cakes or some crap like that.

I think he has done a good job this season, questioned his decision to expose our Friday night ace and closer on an already short staff. And no coach should ever throw players under the bus, nor should players do that to the coach, should be handled in house amongst coaches and staff if there is an issue, just like the Gridley situation. I haven't attacked you personally and you don't anything about me or my background or what I know or don't know about the game of baseball or any other sport for that matter,. But I know what I see and I saw a coach waive the white flag last night in the 7th inning in a 3 run game.I'm not trying to please anyone, don't need to, just don't like conceding a game, if that's not what we did then I expect to see all those pitchers hitting tomorrow night, if they can hit and help us win games then great let's play them. All I am saying is let's play to win every game that's the ultimate goal of every collegiate sport. And truthfully would you rather have a healthy pilkington or gordon, if we had to choose, fortunately we don't have to.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 10:24 PM
The fact that you think Mays' UZR could be lower because other OFs were too close to him pretty much says it all.

I gave you four links of mainstream sources who think Andruw is at the very least one of the top handful of CFs ever defensively.

And Andruw wasn't lazy. That is a reputation that he got because he acted nonchalant on routine plays and smiled a lot. You don't play the way he played if you're lazy. And if you do - if Andruw Jones really was lazy - he was still the greatest defensive OFer of all time. So you sure do think an awful lot of his natural ability.

500 feet...good gosh, man. How big do you think the Polo Grounds was?

Oh, OK excuse me I looked it up and the Polo Grounds were only 483 feet where Mays caught that ball instead of the 500. THAT is why that was such a great play. Learn your baseball history.

My point about Mays having the OF closer to them was because HE positioned them there where he made it easier on the team. That's actual baseball genius on his part. He could have made himself look better by spreading them out but he didn't do that. And another reason why defensive stats are somewhat unreliable.

He didn't have that reputation because he "smiled a lot". It's because he was out of shape most of his career and if Bobby Cox is pulling you out of a game for loafing, I'm going to side with Cox. And yes, I do think an awful lot of his natural ability. But because you have a lot of great natural ability it doesn't make you the greatest of all time.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 10:26 PM
This. It doesn't mean they don't care or haven't played hard but last night they didn't compete like Cann expects them to compete. What Cann did last night used to be common years ago. He challenged them they didn't respond last night so with his limited roster he tried to find some players who would compete. If these players have the heart that they've shown all year then they will be embarrassed by their performance last night and will take responsibility and get their crap wired tight again. Personally I love Canns old school approach.

Exactly. I think we have some fans that have trouble separating rec league ball with SEC baseball. Again- to quote my Dad- the further you go in baseball the more serious it gets. Our guys are one step away from pro baseball. And part of Cann's job is to teach them and get them ready for that. And I bet you all of our players to a man would agree with Cann and probably are embarrassed.

Todd4State
04-19-2017, 10:37 PM
I think he has done a good job this season, questioned his decision to expose our Friday night ace and closer on an already short staff. And no coach should ever throw players under the bus, nor should players do that to the coach, should be handled in house amongst coaches and staff if there is an issue, just like the Gridley situation. I haven't attacked you personally and you don't anything about me or my background or what I know or don't know about the game of baseball or any other sport for that matter,. But I know what I see and I saw a coach waive the white flag last night in the 7th inning in a 3 run game.I'm not trying to please anyone, don't need to, just don't like conceding a game, if that's not what we did then I expect to see all those pitchers hitting tomorrow night, if they can hit and help us win games then great let's play them. All I am saying is let's play to win every game that's the ultimate goal of every collegiate sport. And truthfully would you rather have a healthy pilkington or gordon, if we had to choose, fortunately we don't have to.

I haven't attacked you personally either. If you think "pleaser" is an attack you're too sensitive. And I've been around enough baseball people in my life to know that none of them would agree with you either.

And as far as the other crap about us "conceding the game" and throwing guys under the bus- you're absolutely wrong about that. Which again tells me you have very little concept of baseball above the high school level. And that's being generous.

I just think it would be nice after we had a bunch of fans getting their panties in a wad over Cohen yelling at players and basically being criticized for not being Ron Polk to actually get 100% behind Cann and actually hold our players accountable for their actions especially after Cann has done everything possible to put us in a good position. I think our fans have gotten better about that after Cohen left but we're always going to have snowflakes like you I guess trying to hold us back because you want to have a say and are worried about other bullshit than winning.

I seen it dawg
04-20-2017, 05:41 AM
I haven't attacked you personally either. If you think "pleaser" is an attack you're too sensitive. And I've been around enough baseball people in my life to know that none of them would agree with you either.

And as far as the other crap about us "conceding the game" and throwing guys under the bus- you're absolutely wrong about that. Which again tells me you have very little concept of baseball above the high school level. And that's being generous.

I just think it would be nice after we had a bunch of fans getting their panties in a wad over Cohen yelling at players and basically being criticized for not being Ron Polk to actually get 100% behind Cann and actually hold our players accountable for their actions especially after Cann has done everything possible to put us in a good position. I think our fans have gotten better about that after Cohen left but we're always going to have snowflakes like you I guess trying to hold us back because you want to have a say and are worried about other bullshit than winning.

Attaboy

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 06:18 AM
First off, f*ck USA and what they think. That is completely irrelevant and doesn't even deserved to be mentioned. As a matter of fact, I want the opposing team be pissed. But, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that USA wasn't pissed, they will probably take the win just like we would if we could.

Second, an embarrassment to the university, the team, and the fans?... No. Lose a game to them in football and its embarrassing to the university, team, and the fans. Last night might have sucked, but we'll get over it.

Not talking about the loss as an embarasement, talking about how we went about the loss. down 3-0 in the 7th inning and sending 4 pitchers to the plate is pretty much conceeding the game, if not then we should expect to see them in the lineup this weekend. Look, if they can hit and help this team win, great, put them in the lineup and lets go, but I suspect their not great hitters overall or they would have already been playing

TNDawg35
04-20-2017, 07:19 AM
Not talking about the loss as an embarasement, talking about how we went about the loss. down 3-0 in the 7th inning and sending 4 pitchers to the plate is pretty much conceeding the game, if not then we should expect to see them in the lineup this weekend. Look, if they can hit and help this team win, great, put them in the lineup and lets go, but I suspect their not great hitters overall or they would have already been playing

Once again you have no clue what you are talking about... Let me break this down for you so maybe you will understand it. Listen carefully now....

He didnt use the pitchers because they are better hitters than what we have. THEY ARENT BETTER HITTERS THAN WHAT WE HAVE. He used them to send a F*#*&%^ wake up call to the guys. IF you dont give me your all, I will find someone that will. This has nothing to do with him trying to find the best hitter the other night. IT was a jolt to the team. It meant no one is above the law except the coaches. If Rooker doesnt give 110%, he will yank his ass and put in someone who will... Same goes for Mangum, Stovall, Gridley, LA, Poole, Bragg, Lovelady, you name it.... The loss to South Bama should have been a wake up call to the guys. If they thought they were gonna walk in and whip their ass and then go back home and wait on Bama, they thought wrong. Thats the great thing about baseball. Anyone can beat anyone at any time. Look at Coastal last yr. How many people picked them to win it all?? Not many, if any... All it takes is to get hot at the right time and have a decent regional/super regional draw. If the guys come out this wknd and go on a tear, we will all look back at this and say, "DAMN, Cann is the man and knew exactly what he was doing.." Now as far as him throwing the players under the bus, I have no 17in clue what your talking about. I watched all the pressers and never heard him say one word about the guys personally. I heard him say your gonna give me your all r sit by me on the bench. He never called out a specific player. We all knew who he was talking about tho. It wasnt that hard to figure out. You will not see the pitchers in the line up this wknd, so stop asking about it. Its that F*&%in simple dude.

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Once again you have no clue what you are talking about... Let me break this down for you so maybe you will understand it. Listen carefully now....

He didnt use the pitchers because they are better hitters than what we have. THEY ARENT BETTER HITTERS THAN WHAT WE HAVE. He used them to send a F*#*&%^ wake up call to the guys. IF you dont give me your all, I will find someone that will. This has nothing to do with him trying to find the best hitter the other night. IT was a jolt to the team. It meant no one is above the law except the coaches. If Rooker doesnt give 110%, he will yank his ass and put in someone who will... Same goes for Mangum, Stovall, Gridley, LA, Poole, Bragg, Lovelady, you name it.... The loss to South Bama should have been a wake up call to the guys. If they thought they were gonna walk in and whip their ass and then go back home and wait on Bama, they thought wrong. Thats the great thing about baseball. Anyone can beat anyone at any time. Look at Coastal last yr. How many people picked them to win it all?? Not many, if any... All it takes is to get hot at the right time and have a decent regional/super regional draw. If the guys come out this wknd and go on a tear, we will all look back at this and say, "DAMN, Cann is the man and knew exactly what he was doing.." Now as far as him throwing the players under the bus, I have no 17in clue what your talking about. I watched all the pressers and never heard him say one word about the guys personally. I heard him say your gonna give me your all r sit by me on the bench. He never called out a specific player. We all knew who he was talking about tho. It wasnt that hard to figure out. You will not see the pitchers in the line up this wknd, so stop asking about it. Its that F*&%in simple dude.
So if we need another wake up call this weekend down 1 or 2 runs in the 7th inning we should say the heck with trying to win the game lets pinch hit someone who is not a better hitter to send another message. Plus, I'm not pissed about who we lost to, South Alabama is a good team and are always competative, and I agree with you, sometimes the better team does not win and the likes of the Coastal Carolinas do, anything can happen and on any given night anyone can win, that is part of the beauty of baseball.

smootness
04-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Oh, OK excuse me I looked it up and the Polo Grounds were only 483 feet where Mays caught that ball instead of the 500. THAT is why that was such a great play. Learn your baseball history.

My point about Mays having the OF closer to them was because HE positioned them there where he made it easier on the team. That's actual baseball genius on his part. He could have made himself look better by spreading them out but he didn't do that. And another reason why defensive stats are somewhat unreliable.

He didn't have that reputation because he "smiled a lot". It's because he was out of shape most of his career and if Bobby Cox is pulling you out of a game for loafing, I'm going to side with Cox. And yes, I do think an awful lot of his natural ability. But because you have a lot of great natural ability it doesn't make you the greatest of all time.

The point at which Mays caught the ball is estimated to be about 420-425 feet from home plate. How that equates to him running that far to catch the ball, I have no idea. Watch the replay, then watch the replay of Andruw's spiderman catch. They run about the same distance, both catch it over their shoulder, Andruw just does it while jumping and hitting the wall.

And if Willie Mays positioned the other OFers to be close enough to him that they routinely overlapped on fly balls they could get to, he did a pretty poor job, as that would have left the lines and foul territory completely uncovered.

Andruw was not out of shape most of his career. He got to that point as he hit 30, though even then his defense was above-average. Cox did pull him at least once because he perceived him to not be hustling. But that came early in his career. He may have been legitimately loafing that time, I don't know, but I do know he was misunderstood by a lot because of the way he played. They saw nonchalant catches and throws back to the infield as 'lazy' or 'not trying'. Lazy and not trying doesn't get you 10 Gold Gloves, and it doesn't save you as many runs as Andruw did. And again, if Andruw was out of shape and lazy, then he was a true superhuman...because regardless of how he did it, he was easily the best of all time defensively.

LC Dawg
04-20-2017, 07:40 AM
So if we need another wake up call this weekend down 1 or 2 runs in the 7th inning we should say the heck with trying to win the game lets pinch hit someone who is not a better hitter to send another message. Plus, I'm not pissed about who we lost to, South Alabama is a good team and are always competative, and I agree with you, sometimes the better team does not win and the likes of the Coastal Carolinas do, anything can happen and on any given night anyone can win, that is part of the beauty of baseball.

The wake-up call Tuesday night was for this weekend. Midweek games and SEC series are not the same thing. I don't know what Cann will do if they need another wake-up call this weekend but every damn player in that dugout knows that if they aren't giving maximum effort they will be sitting on the bench next to the coach and that's the way it should be.

TNDawg35
04-20-2017, 07:50 AM

17 me.... I give up....

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 08:14 AM

I'm an old fart but being called "ignorant" in my day was an insult and a personal attack that would have warranted an a$$ whooping, just saying. As far as calling me a "snowflake" you don't know me from adam, nor what I have been or what my experiences are, so be careful when you sling personal insults around. Thought this was a board to discuss MSU athletics and the like. You and I both mentioned Bobby Cox in a previous post, so I am assuming we have a mutual respect to his coaching style. He would have never put stuff in the media about anything that was not baseball related to the media, he handled everything in house and his players loved and respected him for it. Look I don't care if Coach Cann yells, screams, cusses or beats players over the head with a stick, but don't throw in the towel in a 3 run game, to prove a point, that's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I am as old school as anybody on here, trust me, I'm old but just how many people can you cut and sit on the bench before you don't have anyone to coach. I get it, discipline is a very necessary part of any organization/team and I am all for it but you don't try and complete your objective by using inferior product. Bottom line is we conceded the game in the 7th inning to prove a point, so if we need to do that again in an SEC game this weekend are we gonna do that or wait and handle it on Monday at practice or suspension or the likes thereof. Look, we all love our beloved dawgs and we want them to win a championship, and I hope Coach Cann has a long and storied career here or wherever he chooses to go, but hitting his Fri night guy and closer was not a good calculated risk, if it were next year with a full healthy staff then maybe but definitely not this go round. Thankfully nothing happened, cause if it did the comments on here would have been way, way different. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 08:26 AM
The wake-up call Tuesday night was for this weekend. Midweek games and SEC series are not the same thing. I don't know what Cann will do if they need another wake-up call this weekend but every damn player in that dugout knows that if they aren't giving maximum effort they will be sitting on the bench next to the coach and that's the way it should be.

Every game should be played to win at this level, every time, not just on SEC weekends, period. Do I believe Coach Cann wants to win, absolutely I do, but don't concede a game to prove a point.

Backwoodsdawg
04-20-2017, 08:39 AM
This is another quality shit show thread! Full of internet super hero's and know it all's! If this offends you then yeah I'm probably talking about you.

Ari Gold
04-20-2017, 08:47 AM
I'm an old fart but being called "ignorant" in my day was an insult and a personal attack that would have warranted an a$$ whooping, just saying. As far as calling me a "snowflake" you don't know me from adam, nor what I have been or what my experiences are, so be careful when you sling personal insults around. Thought this was a board to discuss MSU athletics and the like. You and I both mentioned Bobby Cox in a previous post, so I am assuming we have a mutual respect to his coaching style. He would have never put stuff in the media about anything that was not baseball related to the media, he handled everything in house and his players loved and respected him for it. Look I don't care if Coach Cann yells, screams, cusses or beats players over the head with a stick, but don't throw in the towel in a 3 run game, to prove a point, that's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I am as old school as anybody on here, trust me, I'm old but just how many people can you cut and sit on the bench before you don't have anyone to coach. I get it, discipline is a very necessary part of any organization/team and I am all for it but you don't try and complete your objective by using inferior product. Bottom line is we conceded the game in the 7th inning to prove a point, so if we need to do that again in an SEC game this weekend are we gonna do that or wait and handle it on Monday at practice or suspension or the likes thereof. Look, we all love our beloved dawgs and we want them to win a championship, and I hope Coach Cann has a long and storied career here or wherever he chooses to go, but hitting his Fri night guy and closer was not a good calculated risk, if it were next year with a full healthy staff then maybe but definitely not this go round. Thankfully nothing happened, cause if it did the comments on here would have been way, way different. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

2 of the 3 pitchers reached base safely. Price with a hit and Barlow almost has as many BB on the season as Mangum.
Best thing for you to do is abort this thread.. let it die. If you stop posting about it it will die on its on..
Since you are new to the board and ED welcomes you here .. there is a saying around here.. Read more post less. More of us and less of you is good for this site.

Here is you a topic that won't die here because it keeps legs on its own.
Hev can't recruit. Run with that. Trust me you will get much better feedback.

TNDawg35
04-20-2017, 08:49 AM
I guess I dont understand conceding the game in the 7th. The starting 9 had 7 innings to win this game or act like they gave a shit. I think everyone on here can agree that we should have had a lead by the 7th on them. They didnt. Cann got tired of it and made the decision to put in people who would compete. If he put in people who would compete, that's not giving up. If Cann wanted to throw people under the bus, he would have said Poole played like shit, and Bragg was useless at 3rd. That's throwing someone under the bus. Saying ALL THE GUYS did not give enough effort, so I pulled them is not throwing anyone under the bus.

LC Dawg
04-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Every game should be played to win at this level,

Exactly, and the players weren't putting in the effort to win so the coach made changes.

Commercecomet24
04-20-2017, 08:54 AM
I guess I dont understand conceding the game in the 7th. The starting 9 had 7 innings to win this game or act like they gave a shit. I think everyone on here can agree that we should have had a lead by the 7th on them. They didnt. Cann got tired of it and made the decision to put in people who would compete. If he put in people who would compete, that's not giving up. If Cann wanted to throw people under the bus, he would have said Poole played like shit, and Bragg was useless at 3rd. That's throwing someone under the bus. Saying ALL THE GUYS did not give enough effort, so I pulled them is not throwing anyone under the bus.

This guy gets it!

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 09:02 AM
2 of the 3 pitchers reached base safely. Price with a hit and Barlow almost has as many BB on the season as Mangum.
Best thing for you to do is abort this thread.. let it die. If you stop posting about it it will die on its on..
Since you are new to the board and ED welcomes you here .. there is a saying around here.. Read more post less. More of us and less of you is good for this site.

Great then put Barlow in the lineup over mangum then. See how rediculus that statement sounds. Then hit the pitchers this weekend and see how that works out. Rooker was 0-3 or 0-4 Tuesday, maybe a pitcher should hit for him as well, crazy right. As far as 2 pitchers reaching base safely, one was a dropped fly ball and the other a walk not exactly stuff to hang your hat on if your a hitter. Just cause hitters don't get a hit doesn't mean there not giving effort it means they didn't get a hit this time it's a game of failures and a lot of them. Like I said in multiple posts, if a pitcher or all the pitchers can hit then by ALL means please put them in the game and lets go win, but somehow I think you and everyone else including me want our best hitters at the plate as much as possible, if they are not our best hitters then play the other ones.

Ari Gold
04-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Great then put Barlow in the lineup over mangum then. See how rediculus that statement sounds. Then hit the pitchers this weekend and see how that works out. Rooker was 0-3 or 0-4 Tuesday, maybe a pitcher should hit for him as well, crazy right. As far as 2 pitchers reaching base safely, one was a dropped fly ball and the other a walk not exactly stuff to hang your hat on if your a hitter. Just cause hitters don't get a hit doesn't mean there not giving effort it means they didn't get a hit this time it's a game of failures and a lot of them. Like I said in multiple posts, if a pitcher or all the pitchers can hit then by ALL means please put them in the game and lets go win, but somehow I think you and everyone else including me want our best hitters at the plate as much as possible, if they are not our best hitters then play the other ones.

Well I was trying to be nice which is unlike me so..... yeah your a ****ing idiot when it comes to this. So go ahead and keep posting make it a ****ing 16 page thread . Throw your nonsense out there which will get blasted by those on here that know what the **** they are talking about . You would think after 9 pages you would say maybe everyone else is right and im wrong . Guess your not one of those guys . Good luck with this thread , your going to need it . Just think your only about 31,000 post away from Mstste7..

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 09:13 AM
This guy gets it!

Competing and having the athletic ability to compete are 2 different things. I know competitors that will compete all day long but don't have the God given talent to beat better and more gifted athletes. Its a fact and it sucks some times but that's the truth. Some players are better at pitching and some are better at hitting, that's why they are chosen to play those roles when recruited. Some are superior enough to actually do both, but they are not the norm, otherwise MLB would be full of them. I'm still posting to defend my poisition just like you continue to post.

basedog
04-20-2017, 09:13 AM

There are several who need to read this!

Rep given!

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Competing and having the athletic ability to compete are 2 different things. I know competitors that will compete all day long but don't have the God given talent to beat better and more gifted athletes. Its a fact and it sucks some times but that's the truth. Some players are better at pitching and some are better at hitting, that's why they are chosen to play those roles when recruited. Some are superior enough to actually do both, but they are not the norm, otherwise MLB would be full of them. I'm still posting to defend my poisition just like you continue to post.

Sorry sent to wrong poster, my apologies

TNDawg35
04-20-2017, 09:16 AM

See your not getting it, and I honestly dont think you will. I have a 3 yr old and can never win an arguement with her. Somehow this reminds me of that. Cann DID NOT put the pitchers in because he thought they were better hitters than Rooker or Mangum or Stovall or whoever the hell else. He put them in to make a mother 17in point dude. The point was to tighten their shit up and play ball like you know how, or I will replace your ass with someone that will give me everything they got and leave it all on the mother 17in field. Thats it... No onethrew anyone under the bus by taking the boys out of the game. No one said they couldnt hit and said the pitchers were better hitters. He plainly said give me 110% effort, or I will find someone who will... Thats it.. no more or no less... You keep coming up with these god awful summaries about how he or we think pitchers can hit better than people we have hitting. No one said that. NOT ONE DAMN PERSON! NOT ONE DAMN PERSON... and no, I doubt we will ever see Pilk or Price with a bat in there hands again. And no, he prolly wouldnt have done it on the wknd. As I also dont think the guys would have come out that flat on a wknd game. They came out flat as shit with a I dont give a rats ass attitude. Cann said, Uh no lil homies, this shit aint happening... So he started benching people. What I think and really hope is that Cann is telling the guys you will play at a certain level every game, everyday while you are wearing that jersey. Plain and simple. Thats not too much to ask. If you have an off day and make a couple errors or arent seeing the ball very well, so be it. It happens. Even to All Americans like Rooker and Mangum and hell Im sure that kid McKay from the Ville who will most likely be the #1 pick has an off day every once in awhile. What he was saying is if you have an off day, you better well be having an off day while hustling your ass off and TRYING to make plays. Our guys werent, so he found people who would.

Oh and as far as your Gordon comment above as to why he didnt get to play and we all said he could smash.... HE can smash... The only problem is he either smashes it 450 ft or smashes the dang gnats over the plate while the ball goes past him. He has been given his chance with the bat and has showed he is better used on the mound. You bring him in, it really donest make the point. Cann wanted to make a clear cut point, by SAYNG IT DOESNT MATTER WHO I HAVE TO USE, WHETHER IT BE MY ALL SEC ACE OR MY NATIONAL LEADING AND SOON TO BE ALL SEC CLOSER, I WILL REPLACE YOUR ASS IN THE LINE UP... I dont really know how much more clear I can make it. Usually at this point I stop the argument with my daughter and make her go to her room... Dont really know how I can make that happen right here...

basedog
04-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Well I was trying to be nice which is unlike me so..... yeah your a ****ing idiot when it comes to this. So go ahead and keep posting make it a ****ing 16 page thread . Throw your nonsense out there which will get blasted by those on here that know what the **** they are talking about . You would think after 9 pages you would say maybe everyone else is right and im wrong . Guess your not one of those guys . Good luck with this thread , your going to need it . Just think your only about 31,000 post away from Mstste7..

LOL, damn you are on fire! I think he is an old snowflake.

Commercecomet24
04-20-2017, 09:24 AM

You just don't get it do you? Tuesday night was not about who the best hitters were it was about WHO was gonna get out there and put out the effort Cann wanted to see. Like I said earlier this kinda thing used to be very common years ago when coaches weren't afraid of offending players. I've played and coached Baseball most of my life, I don't have all the answers but I know one thing for dang sure if your players aren't out there competing like you expect you get there a** out of there and find somebody who will. It doesn't meant the players you pulled don't care or don't compete it's just they weren't responding at that time and the message to them and your team has to be clear. I think the kids on our team this year have plenty of heart and guts and I guarantee they will own this and step up. That's why you do it!

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Exactly, and the players weren't putting in the effort to win so the coach made changes.

I'm perfectly fine with changes, but you don't remove better hitters in a game for pitchers who apparently are not their for their hitting prowess. If we had better hitters that could have helped win the game then put them in, if not go with a proven commodity who actually hits on a everyday basis. If we want to be perfectly honest on here, who actually believes that we have a pitcher that will out hit the best hitter in the SEC last year. If you want to prove a point then do it outside of countable games. If our players are that bad then remove them from the team and lets play with what's left. Point is, your here to put your best 9 on the field and try to win games, not some of the games but as many as possible.

Backwoodsdawg
04-20-2017, 09:28 AM
There were 4 players not subed for, Rooker moved to right field, Skelton stayed behind the plate, and Gridley and Stovall swapped positions. Jakes hand was killing him so no need to leave him in, the rest I guess you can say it is what it is!

msstate7
04-20-2017, 09:30 AM
You just don't get it do you? Tuesday night was not about who the best hitters were it was about WHO was gonna get out there and put out the effort Cann wanted to see. Like I said earlier this kinda thing used to be very common years ago when coaches weren't afraid of offending players. I've played and coached Baseball most of my life, I don't have all the answers but I know one thing for dang sure if your players aren't out there competing like you expect you get there a** out of there and find somebody who will. It doesn't meant the players you pulled don't care or don't compete it's just they weren't responding at that time and the message to them and your team has to be clear. I think the kids on our team this year have plenty of heart and guts and I guarantee they will own this and step up. That's why you do it!

You have some in this thread claiming Cann was actually trying to win that game though, which is BS. Cann was thinking next game and down the line and it could pay off huge... who knows? Make no mistake though, we quit Tuesday.

tcdog70
04-20-2017, 09:39 AM
Damn what a thread. I'm dizzy from reading this. The Bottom line is Cann and Heanderson have achieved way more with this team than anyone ever expected. I'm good with whatever they do. Sometimes a Coach has to do things Fans don't get. Take a deep breath and ride the wave.

Cooterpoot
04-20-2017, 09:39 AM
You have some in this thread claiming Cann was actually trying to win that game though, which is BS. Cann was thinking next game and down the line and it could pay off huge... who knows? Make no mistake though, we quit Tuesday.

It's not quitting when you're doing something to improve play down the road. That's what some of you folks need to realize. It's not always about one game.

Commercecomet24
04-20-2017, 09:40 AM
It's not quitting when you're doing something to improve play down the road. That's what some of you folks need to realize. It's not always about one game.

Bingo!!!

msstate7
04-20-2017, 09:44 AM

I acknowledged that it could definetely pay off down the road, but we didn't try to win THAT game

msstate7
04-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Now can we get back to Andruw and all agree he's the best to ever patrol the outfield with a glove in MLB history haha

Commercecomet24
04-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Now can we get back to Andruw and all agree he's the best to ever patrol the outfield with a glove in MLB history haha

Nice!

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 10:06 AM
There were 4 players not subed for, Rooker moved to right field, Skelton stayed behind the plate, and Gridley and Stovall swapped positions. Jakes hand was killing him so no need to leave him in, the rest I guess you can say it is what it is!
Unless you have info we dont, we don't know if Jake was pulled for hand or whatever.

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 10:11 AM

It's not about offending anyone, I could care less about hurting feelings, it's about winning and winning only. Play the best 9 all the time no matter who they are, but you cannot convince me ,our pitchers are better hitters than everyday lineup, if they are great let them hit everyday please.

Commercecomet24
04-20-2017, 10:17 AM
It's not about offending anyone, I could care less about hurting feelings, it's about winning and winning only. Play the best 9 all the time no matter who they are, but you cannot convince me ,our pitchers are better hitters than everyday lineup, if they are great let them hit everyday please.

Once again, I never said our pitchers are better hitters, that's not the point. The point is about finding players who were gonna go out there on TUESDAY night and do what Cann wanted. Geez.

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Exactly, if we win this weekend it will sound like this "coach lit a fire under them and they responded" if we lose this weekend it will sound like "Coach tried and players didn't respond" either way I don't give a sh!t. Just play whoever the best 9 are and give us the best chance at success and keep the discipline/ motivation tactics for later.

TNDawg35
04-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Exactly, if we win this weekend it will sound like this "coach lit a fire under them and they responded" if we lose this weekend it will sound like "Coach tried and players didn't respond" either way I don't give a sh!t. Just play whoever the best 9 are and give us the best chance at success and keep the discipline/ motivation tactics for later.

Sometimes those best 9 need a lil help finding there way... Sometimes they dont... Cann is just trying to make them play at their ability....

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 10:40 AM
See your not getting it, and I honestly dont think you will. I have a 3 yr old and can never win an arguement with her. Somehow this reminds me of that. Cann DID NOT put the pitchers in because he thought they were better hitters than Rooker or Mangum or Stovall or whoever the hell else. He put them in to make a mother 17in point dude. The point was to tighten their shit up and play ball like you know how, or I will replace your ass with someone that will give me everything they got and leave it all on the mother 17in field. Thats it... No onethrew anyone under the bus by taking the boys out of the game. No one said they couldnt hit and said the pitchers were better hitters. He plainly said give me 110% effort, or I will find someone who will... Thats it.. no more or no less... You keep coming up with these god awful summaries about how he or we think pitchers can hit better than people we have hitting. No one said that. NOT ONE DAMN PERSON! NOT ONE DAMN PERSON... and no, I doubt we will ever see Pilk or Price with a bat in there hands again. And no, he prolly wouldnt have done it on the wknd. As I also dont think the guys would have come out that flat on a wknd game. They came out flat as shit with a I dont give a rats ass attitude. Cann said, Uh no lil homies, this shit aint happening... So he started benching people. What I think and really hope is that Cann is telling the guys you will play at a certain level every game, everyday while you are wearing that jersey. Plain and simple. Thats not too much to ask. If you have an off day and make a couple errors or arent seeing the ball very well, so be it. It happens. Even to All Americans like Rooker and Mangum and hell Im sure that kid McKay from the Ville who will most likely be the #1 pick has an off day every once in awhile. What he was saying is if you have an off day, you better well be having an off day while hustling your ass off and TRYING to make plays. Our guys werent, so he found people who would.

Oh and as far as your Gordon comment above as to why he didnt get to play and we all said he could smash.... HE can smash... The only problem is he either smashes it 450 ft or smashes the dang gnats over the plate while the ball goes past him. He has been given his chance with the bat and has showed he is better used on the mound. You bring him in, it really donest make the point. Cann wanted to make a clear cut point, by SAYNG IT DOESNT MATTER WHO I HAVE TO USE, WHETHER IT BE MY ALL SEC ACE OR MY NATIONAL LEADING AND SOON TO BE ALL SEC CLOSER, I WILL REPLACE YOUR ASS IN THE LINE UP... I dont really know how much more clear I can make it. Usually at this point I stop the argument with my daughter and make her go to her room... Dont really know how I can make that happen right here...

I don't need it explained to me, I saw it with my on 2 eyes, we conceded the game for potential motivation purposes and that is a fact. Its not saying anyone said the pitchers are better hitters but by virtue of hitting your pitchers over regular everyday hitters your essentially conceding not scoring 6 runs to win the game. Could it happen, yes, anything is possible but highly doubtful, if Cann thought otherwise the pitchers would hit on a regular basis. So, for arguments sake, we waived the white flag in the 7th inning to send a message about this weekend.

confucius say
04-20-2017, 10:47 AM

It seems your issue with all this is you don't agree with Cann's position that it is okay to suffer a short term setback (losing a midweek game) in order to accomplish a long term goal (making it clear that complete focus and 100% buy-in is demanded at all times). That's the fundamental disagreement here. The rest of us are fine with sending that message even if it guaranteed we were not coming back and winning Tuesday night.

Cann has shown he will suffer short term (benching Mangum, booting Cyr, booting Marrero, pulling starters who aren't focused) to accomplish long term goals and his strategy is working.

confucius say
04-20-2017, 10:50 AM
I don't need it explained to me, I saw it with my on 2 eyes, we conceded the game for potential motivation purposes and that is a fact. Its not saying anyone said the pitchers are better hitters but by virtue of hitting your pitchers over regular everyday hitters your essentially conceding not scoring 6 runs to win the game. Could it happen, yes, anything is possible but highly doubtful, if Cann thought otherwise the pitchers would hit on a regular basis. So, for arguments sake, we waived the white flag in the 7th inning to send a message about this weekend.

Exactly. And everyone except you is fine with doing that on a Tuesday night in mobile. It's a strategy that has worked numerous times for Cann this year.

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Exactly. And everyone except you is fine with doing that on a Tuesday night in mobile. It's a strategy that has worked numerous times for Cann this year.

I appreciate your assesment and I get what others are trying to say here, but this is Division 1 big time baseball, we, nor anyone should ever concede a 3 run game, if it was well out of reach maybe 10 run deficit etc... Then maybe we rest some people etc... But when did it become to ok to stop trying to win a 3 run game with 3 innings to go. And with all due respect most on this board are ok with it but some are not including some who don't post on any boards. When is ok to do it again maybe next tues etc... Point is it's never ok to concede the game that is that close unless something REALLY, REALLY. goes haywire. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but tell me another time this year we sent 4 pitchers to the plate down 3 in the 7th. So that stategy has never been deployed.

NOTE: just conversing here not trying to create conflict sometimes that don't get conveyed via typing.

Homedawg
04-20-2017, 11:44 AM

The way we played, the players quit, or some of them did, before cann did. So there's that

msstate7
04-20-2017, 11:47 AM
The way we played, the players quit, or some of them did, before cann did. So there's that

That's fair.

confucius say
04-20-2017, 12:44 PM
I appreciate your assesment and I get what others are trying to say here, but this is Division 1 big time baseball, we, nor anyone should ever concede a 3 run game, if it was well out of reach maybe 10 run deficit etc... Then maybe we rest some people etc... But when did it become to ok to stop trying to win a 3 run game with 3 innings to go. And with all due respect most on this board are ok with it but some are not including some who don't post on any boards. When is ok to do it again maybe next tues etc... Point is it's never ok to concede the game that is that close unless something REALLY, REALLY. goes haywire. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but tell me another time this year we sent 4 pitchers to the plate down 3 in the 7th. So that stategy has never been deployed.

NOTE: just conversing here not trying to create conflict sometimes that don't get conveyed via typing.

No worries. And to answer your question when is it okay to do what he did, it depends on the makeup of the team (young vs veteran, maturity, etc...). It's much more important to Cann to lay a foundation and set expectations as to what he will demand than to win a midweek game that will not affect our host chances either way.

HoopsCoach21
04-20-2017, 01:00 PM
I appreciate your assesment and I get what others are trying to say here, but this is Division 1 big time baseball, we, nor anyone should ever concede a 3 run game, if it was well out of reach maybe 10 run deficit etc... Then maybe we rest some people etc... But when did it become to ok to stop trying to win a 3 run game with 3 innings to go. And with all due respect most on this board are ok with it but some are not including some who don't post on any boards. When is ok to do it again maybe next tues etc... Point is it's never ok to concede the game that is that close unless something REALLY, REALLY. haywire. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but tell me another time this year we sent 4 pitchers to the plate down 3 in the 7th. So that stategy has never been deployed.

WE ALL UNDERSTAND that you feel it is unacceptable that you think we stopped trying to win the game down 3 with 3 innings to go.

But I ask you are you ok with our players giving lackluster effort and there being no repercussions? What would you do to fix that problem? Maybe there had already been consequences in practice and they didn't get the message. What's the next move? From your 32 posts on the topic I see that you would just keep running them out there. THAT is where me, most of the posters on this board, and pretty much every decent coach in America disagree with you.

What type of message does our coach send if his motto is the best players play, period? Effort, attitude, respect for coaches and teammates be damned.

Lastly, if I'm on one side of an argument and literally almost NO ONE agrees with me I usually think its time to reflect and see if maybe my thinking might be flawed. This is one of those times for you.

Tbonewannabe
04-20-2017, 01:02 PM

The thing is no one except the people on the team who are in the dugout and at every practice would know why Canny did it exactly. Everyone is saying Canny kicking off Cyr and Marrero were the right moves. The day after and you look at it and people might lose their shit because he just kicked off our starting catcher and our supposed 2nd best pitcher who is going to be our Saturday starter. I guarantee he didn't just send out pitchers to hit just to be cute. He was sending a 17'ing message that if you halfass your focus or your effort YOU WILL NOT PLAY. He doesn't give a shit if he has to field an entire team of pitchers and random walkons. He isn't putting up with it. Hell, it is a lot better for our RPI to lose to USA rather than Bama at home.

So what if he let it slide because he tried to eek out a Tuesday game then it gets worse throughout the week. Then he can't do something drastic against Bama because that is a SEC game. It is a slippery slope. Mullen basically did the same thing with Fitz oddly enough against USA. As good as Mullen is with QBs, he knows what it takes and Fitz wasn't doing something. It might have cost us one game or that motivation is how we won down the stretch and will benefit from it in 2017.

WPDawg
04-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Me thinks you can not be this obtuse to understand the coaching strategy. Now being pissed that you took time and money to go watch the Bulldogs play for your one game of the year.....and they did not perform to their ranking or abilities. That is understandable. And this fan disappointment should be another lesson to the kids in that we have a great baseball fan base supporting and enjoying their success. They are playing for the MSU family each time they hit the field and not just for themselves. It takes max effort every time out to be a consistent winner. Max effort even in losses is appreciated by fan base.

Commercecomet24
04-20-2017, 01:21 PM
The thing is no one except the people on the team who are in the dugout and at every practice would know why Canny did it exactly. Everyone is saying Canny kicking off Cyr and Marrero were the right moves. The day after and you look at it and people might lose their shit because he just kicked off our starting catcher and our supposed 2nd best pitcher who is going to be our Saturday starter. I guarantee he didn't just send out pitchers to hit just to be cute. He was sending a 17'ing message that if you halfass your focus or your effort YOU WILL NOT PLAY. He doesn't give a shit if he has to field an entire team of pitchers and random walkons. He isn't putting up with it. Hell, it is a lot better for our RPI to lose to USA rather than Bama at home.

So what if he let it slide because he tried to eek out a Tuesday game then it gets worse throughout the week. Then he can't do something drastic against Bama because that is a SEC game. It is a slippery slope. Mullen basically did the same thing with Fitz oddly enough against USA. As good as Mullen is with QBs, he knows what it takes and Fitz wasn't doing something. It might have cost us one game or that motivation is how we won down the stretch and will benefit from it in 2017.

VERY WELL SAID! Thats the point you, me and about a billion others are trying to get across. Probably just like what happened in our dugout tuesday night with some players! (No inside info here but having been in similar circumstances, I'd be willing to bet the players were half assing it in practice Monday and in prep for the game Tuesday and had probably been warned by Cann. Don't know that for sure but seen it happen before)

Dawgpatrol
04-20-2017, 02:59 PM
VERY WELL SAID! Thats the point you, me and about a billion others are trying to get across. Probably just like what happened in our dugout tuesday night with some players! (No inside info here but having been in similar circumstances, I'd be willing to bet the players were half assing it in practice Monday and in prep for the game Tuesday and had probably been warned by Cann. Don't know that for sure but seen it happen before)
Like you, I have and want no inside information, in fact the less the better cause that's where mostly rumors and BS start. If and that's a big if somethung happened in the dugout verbally, attitude wise etc...then yeah sit em, but that's not what was reported, it was stated there were effort issues, I watched the game and I like many of you am a true baseball fan not the casual get me out of the house guy, I like to watch the details of the game and all of its intracacies/strategies.I don't miss a pitch, there was only one physical effortless play I saw, 3rd pitch strike in dirt, runner did not run, ball bounced 2 to 3 feet away from catcher and he was tagged out. All runners hustled, fielder's hustled and all ground balls were run out. Maybe Cann was frustrated with the results of the game score at the time and decided it was lack of effort, I don't know and won't speculate. But not hitting is a lack of effort, it is a result of missing pitches, it happens everyday in every game. If it was an attitude issue in the dugout then line em up kick em in the a$$ and sit em.

confucius say
04-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Like you, I have and want no inside information, in fact the less the better cause that's where mostly rumors and BS start. If and that's a big if somethung happened in the dugout verbally, attitude wise etc...then yeah sit em, but that's not what was reported, it was stated there were effort issues, I watched the game and I like many of you am a true baseball fan not the casual get me out of the house guy, I like to watch the details of the game and all of its intracacies/strategies.I don't miss a pitch, there was only one physical effortless play I saw, 3rd pitch strike in dirt, runner did not run, ball bounced 2 to 3 feet away from catcher and he was tagged out. All runners hustled, fielder's hustled and all ground balls were run out. Maybe Cann was frustrated with the results of the game score at the time and decided it was lack of effort, I don't know and won't speculate. But not hitting is a lack of effort, it is a result of missing pitches, it happens everyday in every game. If it was an attitude issue in the dugout then line em up kick em in the a$$ and sit em.

It's not effort, it's focus. Lock the hell in and get a job done.

I seen it dawg
04-20-2017, 04:59 PM

It's not a ****ing fact. Just shut the **** up on it. Being at the game doesn't make you less of a ****ing moron on the subject.