PDA

View Full Version : WR transfer

GTHOM
04-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Heard rumors of a WR transfer we may be getting anything to it?

fader2103
04-18-2017, 09:06 AM
TSUN receivers jumping ship***

Mjoelner34
04-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Ari Gold mentioned this possibility a few days ago in the recruiting thread. No idea if you guys are talking about the same person.

lamont
04-18-2017, 09:08 AM
We are trying hard to get one. Boy do we need it

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2017, 09:11 AM
We are trying hard to get one. Boy do we need it

Coach,

Who & what is most to blame for our current WR situation?

When we got Bear & Fred, I really thought we were headed in the right direction at that position, but it's incredible how bad our personnel is at that position.

To make matters more interesting, Oklahoma State, who recruits near the same level we do, currently has the best receiving core in the country. How does Oklahoma State attract these guys & we can't?

BeardoMSU
04-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Coach,

When we got Bear & Fred, I really thought we were headed in the right direction at that position, but it's incredible how bad our personnel is at that position.

To make matters more interesting, Oklahoma State, who recruits near the same level we do, currently has the best receiving core in the country. How does Oklahoma State attract these guys & we can't?

Well, the coach who was responsible for bagging Fred, was only here for 1 year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 09:13 AM

T. Boone Pickens

Reason2succeed
04-18-2017, 09:14 AM
I don't really agree with the move to bring in a transfer.

You get a one year merc who will take valuable experience from young guys like Todd and Couch. What does it say about our recruiting and coaching if a guy can come in and beat out all our guys with just one summer and fall camp? Usually transfers don't really help that much anyway.

HSVDawg
04-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Coach,

Whatever the problem is, it spans multiple coaching staffs. We haven't had a WR drafted in 21 years. And it could easily be 22 if no one takes a late round flyer on Ross. For all the talk about lack of OL draftees, this fact gets conveniently ignored.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 09:17 AM

You get a one year merc who will take valuable experience from young guys like Todd and Couch. What does it say about our recruiting and coaching if a guy can come in and beat out all our guys with just one summer and fall camp? Usually transfers don't really help that much anyway.

Depends on whether or not it's a grad transfer. A regular transfer wouldnt be able to play this year anyway.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2017, 09:18 AM
T. Boone Pickens

I don't think he factors in like you think he does.

We recruit better than Oklahoma State at most other positions on the field, so it's odd to me when they happen to recruit dramatically better at one position.

ShotgunDawg
04-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Whatever the problem is, it spans multiple coaching staffs. We haven't had a WR drafted in 21 years. And it could easily be 22 if no one takes a late round flyer on Ross. For all the talk about lack of OL draftees, this fact gets conveniently ignored.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

HSVDawg
04-18-2017, 09:21 AM

Is this a serious post?

What possible reason could there be for us to NOT be always trying to improve the talent on the roster? Especially when we only are gonna have, at most, 79 guys on scholarship when fall camp starts as of right now?

shoeless joe
04-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Mullen's strategy of finding grinders that aren't afraid to work hard and compete doesn't always jive with the thought process of elite receivers.

Shake 'n Bake
04-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Having Justin Blackmon and dez Bryant to point to doesn't hurt Oklahoma states recruiting of wideouts

DancingRabbit
04-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Well, the coach who was responsible for bagging Fred, was only here for 1 year.

I thought Brewster's role in signing Fred was more legend than fact - that it was more Les Koenning and a family connection that got Fred on board.

lamont
04-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Mullen's strategy of finding grinders that aren't afraid to work hard and compete doesn't always jive with the thought process of elite receivers.

This all day. WR's are the biggest divas on the planet

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2017, 09:35 AM

Just look in the NFL and the biggest prima donnas are at WR. Look at Dez, Desean Jackson, Beckham Jr., Cooks, Crabtree, and a ton from the past. A lot have that just throw me the ball attitude. Mullen doesn't typically like those type of players. JRob is about the only guy we have had like that and he started for 1 year before leaving. It also didn't seem to bother Mullen that he left early when we obviously didn't have the talent behind him to replace his production.

lamont
04-18-2017, 09:36 AM

Couch and Todd are not good enough to win football games for us this Fall. We need a ready to play transfer. College players understand it's a competition every day.

lamont
04-18-2017, 09:36 AM
I thought Brewster's role in signing Fred was more legend than fact - that it was more Les Koenning and a family connection that got Fred on board.

Brewster helped but Koenning closed that signature

BeardoMSU
04-18-2017, 09:38 AM

Hmm....I vaguely remember that, now that you say it.

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Couch and Todd are not good enough to win football games for us this Fall. We need a ready to play transfer. College players understand it's a competition every day.

Unless they make some big jump over the summer, they look about another year away from being a good SEC WR. Couch looks the part but he didn't show it in the spring game. Our DBs pretty much dominated those 2. Todd looks like he needs another year in the weight room.

HSVDawg
04-18-2017, 09:43 AM
This all day. WR's are the biggest divas on the planet

Well I guess it was a problem for Croom, Sherrill, and Felker too then. By my count, 2 WR total were drafted from those 3 coaches + Mullen put together, and one of those two was a transfer (Olanda Truitt).

ETA: Correction, apparently we had some others drafted that I wasn't aware of. 4 others drafted between 1987 and 1993. Then after Moulds we just hit the huge drop-off that we are still in. So, in Sherrill's last 7 years, all of Croom's 5 years, and the entire current Mullen era to date, we have not had a single WR drafted.

KentuckyDawg13
04-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Isn't Oklahoma St. the school we snatched Ross from as he was originally committed to them?

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Isn't Oklahoma St. the school we snatched Ross from as he was originally committed to them?

Yes and it shows what type of talent he had since he is basically leaving with almost every receiving record at MSU. He did benefit from Dak though.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2017, 09:48 AM

I think we're a day late and a dollar short. There have been some viable transfers but we didn't get in the game. Should be no surprise to anyone that has followed recruiting the past 8 years.

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2017, 09:56 AM
I think we're a day late and a dollar short. There have been some viable transfers but we didn't get in the game. Should be no surprise to anyone that has followed recruiting the past 8 years.

Mullen seems to have changed some things so hopefully we are going in the right direction with recruiting.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Mullen seems to have changed some things so hopefully we are going in the right direction with recruiting.

I agree with that. I'm just very upset with our roster at the WR position. It's going to hold this team back.

thf24
04-18-2017, 10:13 AM
If this potential transfer is good enough to consistently demand enough attention to keep Gray from being smothered, he's worth bringing in. Not sure we have that right now and our outside passing game could be nonexistent and Gray wasted without it.

smootness
04-18-2017, 10:31 AM

We recruit better than Oklahoma State at most other positions on the field, so it's odd to me when they happen to recruit dramatically better at one position.

Well, they're apparently recruiting and developing WR better than every other program in the country, too, so it may be more a sign that they are extremely good at it than that we are extremely bad at it.

They also air it out like crazy and are known for good QB play and great WR play. That is a huge help in recruiting the next batch.

Reason2succeed
04-18-2017, 10:31 AM
Bandaids usually don't work very well. Where are we getting a receiver from this late in the process? I'll believe it when I see it.

smootness
04-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Correct. Brewster had a bigger hand in getting Gray, from my understanding.

smootness
04-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Well I guess it was a problem for Croom, Sherrill, and Felker too then. By my count, 2 WR total were drafted from those 3 coaches + Mullen put together, and one of those two was a transfer (Olanda Truitt).

ETA: Correction, apparently we had some others drafted that I wasn't aware of. 4 others drafted between 1987 and 1993. Then after Moulds we just hit the huge drop-off that we are still in. So, in Sherrill's last 7 years, all of Croom's 5 years, and the entire current Mullen era to date, we have not had a single WR drafted.

Well, our offense totally and completely sucked for most of those years, so it's not a big surprise. We also had no QB drafted during that time frame. Our WR play has improved quite a bit the last several years, and that, along with suddenly attractive QBs and a better offense, should hopefully allow WR recruiting to open up more.

But we're still seen as a run-based offense at a time when a ton of programs are airing it out all over the place. Auburn had Coates and Louis drafted recently but before that they had a big gap as well, and they haven't had nearly the number of WR you might expect for a program that recruits like they do and puts up the offense they do...largely because they're also seen as a run-based offense.

Mimi's Babies
04-18-2017, 10:36 AM
NO TRANSFERS FROM TSUN.... NO NOT ONE....

LC Dawg
04-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Our receiver woes are a curse. The length of the curse is one year for each time Jerry Rice drove through Starkville on his way to Itta Bena.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 10:41 AM

I was being halfway serious.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 10:43 AM
NO TRANSFERS FROM TSUN.... NO NOT ONE....

I agree. F$#U* everyone of them.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Heard rumors of a WR transfer we may be getting anything to it?

I know Devonta Jason committed to Kansas but are we still on him? I wonder what our chances are with him since Key is here.

smootness
04-18-2017, 10:45 AM
I know Devonta Jason committed to Kansas but are we still on him? I wonder what our chances are with him since Key is here.

The only thing I know is that he's not going to Kansas.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-18-2017, 10:46 AM
Robert Foster?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 10:50 AM
The only thing I know is that he's not going to Kansas.

I figured that much...ha

HoopsDawg
04-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Bandaids usually don't work very well. Where are we getting a receiver from this late in the process? I'll believe it when I see it.

Nick Saban took a grad transfer WR last year in Deter. Worked pretty well for them.

Jack Lambert
04-18-2017, 11:20 AM

I tend to agree but if is a one time deal to bridge us until our young guys get better I am good with it.

Reason2succeed
04-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Nick Saban took a grad transfer WR last year in Deter. Worked pretty well for them.

Bama would have been screwed without him.***

MaroonFlounder
04-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Coach,

Oddly enough, MSU flipped Fred Ross from Oklahoma State.

Johnson85
04-18-2017, 11:40 AM

It says that our WR recruiting has been the suck, which has seemed pretty obvious. We have some guys that could end up good, but we don't have enough good WR ready to play this year. If we can get a one year player that can make us better this year, of course we should take him.

Irondawg
04-18-2017, 11:47 AM
I think it's also that Texas produces a ton of WR so OSU recruits better there. MS/AL/TN/LA WR tend to be more raw and take more time to develop. I wish we'd recruit TX more for WR and OL

deltadawg99
04-18-2017, 12:01 PM
So do we have a name for this possible WR transfer?

chef dixon
04-18-2017, 12:28 PM
So who is it? just say it, it doesn't make 1 difference if its mentioned here or not

Ari Gold
04-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Ari Gold mentioned this possibility a few days ago in the recruiting thread. No idea if you guys are talking about the same person.

I was not referring to a grad WR. And I'm sure we looking at what's available but I havent heard any names .

HSVDawg
04-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Well, our offense totally and completely sucked for most of those years, so it's not a big surprise. We also had no QB drafted during that time frame. Our WR play has improved quite a bit the last several years, and that, along with suddenly attractive QBs and a better offense, should hopefully allow WR recruiting to open up more.

But we're still seen as a run-based offense at a time when a ton of programs are airing it out all over the place. Auburn had Coates and Louis drafted recently but before that they had a big gap as well, and they haven't had nearly the number of WR you might expect for a program that recruits like they do and puts up the offense they do...largely because they're also seen as a run-based offense.

Well, we didn't have any QB's drafted in that period of the late 80's to the mid 90's either when we had 6 WR's drafted. It's much harder to get drafted as a QB than as a player at any other position. And we were a run based offense in those years, too. Georgia Tech has been probably the biggest run based offense in college football in the last 10-15 years but it still hasn't stopped them from producing Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. It seems to be partly due to bad luck and partly due to other factors like who we target in recruiting abd who is available to us in recruiting. Oddly enough, MS hasn't produced many NFL prospects at the WR position in the past decade or so. Moncrief is the only one I can think of from the top of my head who has made it as an impact guy, although there may be someone I am missing.

Ari Gold
04-18-2017, 12:34 PM

Yes we are... and odds are better than 50/50 We land him ..

aldawgbite
04-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Actually it was Vic Schaefer, Fred's aunt was on his staff here. Fred used to play basketball with the Schaefer kids. Vic told Mullen about Fred.

Really Clark?
04-18-2017, 01:00 PM
Well, we didn't have any QB's drafted in that period of the late 80's to the mid 90's either when we had 6 WR's drafted. It's much harder to get drafted as a QB than as a player at any other position. And we were a run based offense in those years, too. Georgia Tech has been probably the biggest run based offense in college football in the last 10-15 years but it still hasn't stopped them from producing Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. It seems to be partly due to bad luck and partly due to other factors like who we target in recruiting abd who is available to us in recruiting. Oddly enough, MS hasn't produced many NFL prospects at the WR position in the past decade or so. Moncrief is the only one I can think of from the top of my head who has made it as an impact guy, although there may be someone I am missing.

Calvin Johnson and Thomas were already at GT before Paul Johnson was hired. Calvin Johnson never even played in his offense as he was drafted the year before.

smootness
04-18-2017, 01:07 PM

Yes, this is the primary problem. It's obviously much harder to get kids from out of state when you don't have a ready-made pass-heavy offense. Both Calvin and Thomas were GA kids, and they both came in under Chan Gailey initially, who ran a pro-style offense. Since Paul Johnson was hired, they haven't recruited anybody at WR.

IMissJack
04-18-2017, 01:23 PM

In all fairness though, until recent years, we did not run an offense or have a QB that would attract great receivers.

Cary Hudson's little bro
04-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Is it Raphael Leonard?

Daniel Crowell? AJ Brown????

Did we find a way to get Stephen Guidry out in summer?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Yes and it shows what type of talent he had since he is basically leaving with almost every receiving record at MSU. He did benefit from Dak though.

And Mullen's offense. I know we're still technically a power running team, but no doubt the game has changed on offense.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Is it Raphael Leonard?

Daniel Crowell? AJ Brown????

Isn't Crowell at ole miss?

GTHOM
04-18-2017, 05:16 PM
I've heard Guidry and possibly Robert Foster. I know what Fred Brown did was bad but it sure did suck to lose him

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 08:46 PM
I've heard Guidry and possibly Robert Foster. I know what Fred Brown did was bad but it sure did suck to lose him

Who is Robert Foster? Havent heard of him.

GTHOM
04-18-2017, 09:09 PM
Who is Robert Foster? Havent heard of him.

Alabama WR

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Alabama WR

where is this rumor coming from?

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-18-2017, 09:49 PM
where is this rumor coming from?

I googled "wide receiver transfer" and an article on him popped up. Also a Kentucky WR & LSU WR that had declared intentions to transfer.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2017, 09:56 PM
I googled "wide receiver transfer" and an article on him popped up. Also a Kentucky WR & LSU WR that had declared intentions to transfer.

I saw that too but also another article on how well he did at at a spring scrimmage and that he(Foster) decided to stay.