PDA

View Full Version : 11th now in Baseball America poll

lamont
04-17-2017, 09:00 AM
16th in Perfect Game. The jobs done by Vic and Cann plus their staffs this year are some of the best coaching our school has received in its history.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-baseball-rankings-top-25-april-17/

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=13793

basedog
04-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Just amazing, finish strong and hope we win the remaining series which will be tough but doable.

10 guys out and we are playing with a 24 man roster. Fun to watch and better days ahead with a improved stadium and Cann recruiting.

Jack Lambert
04-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Just amazing, finish strong and hope we win the remaining series which will be tough but doable.

10 guys out and we are playing with a 24 man roster. Fun to watch and better days ahead with a improved stadium and Cann recruiting.

Our pitching is getting better and better each week. As long as we can stay healthy here on out we will be good.

MaroonFlounder
04-17-2017, 11:59 AM
I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl, but if we find ourselves trying to advance through the loser's bracket of a tournament, the pitching depth will not allow it.

HSVDawg
04-17-2017, 12:54 PM
I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl, but if we find ourselves trying to advance through the loser's bracket of a tournament, the pitching depth will not allow it.

This is probably true. And that allows us to get this argument out of the way now....Pilkington absolutely positively 100% must be held for Game 2 in the regionals. Unless we somehow drop to a 3 seed, that is what has to happen without exception.

WPDawg
04-17-2017, 01:44 PM
Its interesting how many of you disdain the idea of just being excited about what this team (or any of our athletic teams) has accomplished and are eager to see how they can finish. You seem to be missing the whole opportunity of just enjoying the game and walking away after the last inning. Why spend so much spend time looking for the cracks in the armor like your input has any bearing on what strings are being pulled? Yall need to find a little league park and just go watch a game and see what fun kids have playing baseball to remind you that its okay to smile win or lose. Its really not a bad life being a sheep and enjoying what these kids have accomplished and could accomplish.

starkvegasdawg
04-17-2017, 01:50 PM

https://i.redd.it/07gxs58e2mfy.jpg

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-17-2017, 01:59 PM
This is probably true. And that allows us to get this argument out of the way now....Pilkington absolutely positively 100% must be held for Game 2 in the regionals. Unless we somehow drop to a 3 seed, that is what has to happen without exception.

How about we let the coaching staff make those decisions. They've been doing pretty good without us up to this point.

Tbonewannabe
04-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Its interesting how many of you disdain the idea of just being excited about what this team (or any of our athletic teams) has accomplished and are eager to see how they can finish. You seem to be missing the whole opportunity of just enjoying the game and walking away after the last inning. Why spend so much spend time looking for the cracks in the armor like your input has any bearing on what strings are being pulled? Yall need to find a little league park and just go watch a game and see what fun kids have playing baseball to remind you that its okay to smile win or lose. Its really not a bad life being a sheep and enjoying what these kids have accomplished and could accomplish.

It is kind of like being pissed last year because we didn't go to Omaha. We won the SEC so that was a damn fine season. It is ok to look at the glass half empty but appreciate the glass half full.

bulldogcountry1
04-17-2017, 03:40 PM

What is a healthy team's chances of getting through the loser's bracket?

It's a very specific thing to worry about at this point.

Dawg61
04-17-2017, 04:12 PM
If we absolutely can not afford to be in the losers bracket why would we start our best pitcher game 2

HSVDawg
04-17-2017, 04:38 PM
If we absolutely can not afford to be in the losers bracket why would we start our best pitcher game 2

Were you one of the folks thinking it was a good idea to start Paul Maholm against MTSU in 2003?

Losing the first game and winning the second puts you in the exact same position as winning the first and losing the second. That position is the losers bracket. Both games are equally important, so you have to match your best pitcher against the best team you could potentially play in the regional. The notion that "you can't go 2-0 without winning the first one" is BS. You can't go 2-0 without winning the second game, either. With this team, its especially important that we stay out of the loser's bracket due to the pitching depth concerns, thus amplifying the importance of making the correct decisions with our starting pitchers in the regional.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-17-2017, 04:42 PM

I totally disagree. There is no rule requiring us to name our starter for games 1 or 2 of a regional on April 17th. So why should we worry about it now? Who knows where we will be come tournament time. So on April 17, you don't "absolutely positively" anything "without exception". Too much ball to play between now and then.

HSVDawg
04-17-2017, 04:46 PM
I totally disagree. There is no rule requiring us to name our starter for games 1 or 2 of a regional on April 17th. So why should we worry about it now? Who knows where we will be come tournament time. So on April 17, you don't "absolutely positively" anything "without exception". Too much ball to play between now and then.

I can agree that if another guy emerges in the Saturday spot then it could certainly change things. But it's hard to see that happening right now with as well as Pilk has been doing lately.

The Federalist Engineer
04-17-2017, 05:52 PM

costal Carolina won the whole damn thing with 4 arms pitching +90% of the innings and no lefty.., Arizona made the championship series with about the same...a kid name Sborz pitched 30% of innings out of the pen for UVA in 2014

Todd4State
04-17-2017, 06:22 PM

It all depends on the match-up. If we waste Pilkington on Jackson State in game one we're morons. If it's a mod major with a potential first round pick we would be morons for not pitching Pilkington.

msbulldog
04-17-2017, 06:25 PM

I agree, watching little kids is fun, let's have fun with this season none of us expected our team to be in this position at this point. Rep given +1

somebodyshotmypaw
04-17-2017, 06:32 PM
It all depends on the match-up. If we waste Pilkington on Jackson State in game one we're morons. If it's a mod major with a potential first round pick we would be morons for not pitching Pilkington.

I don't disagree. But on April 17 we don't know that we would face Jackson State. We don't know anything. So the coaches should let the season play out, see the bracket, etc. before they make a decision. I know many idiots who would have said after the 2015 NFL season ended, "the Patriots absolutely positively should start Tom Brady for the 2016 season opener". That wouldn't have worked out too well for them.

The Federalist Engineer
04-17-2017, 06:34 PM

I recall we used Bobby Reed and Tracey Jobes on little opponents and then had UNC put us in the losers bracket in 1989. It was probably my age, but watching us lose in 1989 was a total tragedy. Like no Santa Claus and no Easter bunny tragedy. I still hate UNC.

Aces against Western Carolina and Nichols State! Fairness to Chris George, he was a warrior against UNC in game-3. Not his fault we scored 1 run

Bully13
04-17-2017, 06:41 PM

You just earned today's honorary turd in the punch bowl .

The Federalist Engineer
04-17-2017, 06:58 PM
The strength of this club by May and June could be our pitching versatility... we could have 10 people with 30 innings or more of experience and lots of guys with high stakes starting and bullpen experience

Our biggest fear should be a Peterson from Oregon that we just can't hit

msbulldog
04-17-2017, 07:16 PM
I bet Gary Henderson has a better plan than all of Ya'll!

Todd4State
04-17-2017, 07:26 PM
I recall we used Bobby Reed and Tracey Jobes on little opponents and then had UNC put us in the losers bracket in 1989. It was probably my age, but watching us lose in 1989 was a total tragedy. Like no Santa Claus and no Easter bunny tragedy. I still hate UNC.

Aces against Western Carolina and Nichols State! Fairness to Chris George, he was a warrior against UNC in game-3. Not his fault we scored 1 run

Polk's strategy did blow up on us in 89 and for Nicholls State although I will say that was a 1-0 game where I have a feeling we lose if we don't pitch BJ Wallace. But Polk's strategy blew up in our face again in 2003 against Middle Tennessee State and then we lost to again I think it was North Carolina and we had to go through the losers bracket and beat Mizzou and put ourselves at a disadvantage.

The good thing about holding your ace back if you can is you either have your ace available for an elimination game likely giving you an advantage on the mound or you have an advantage in game two likely against someone's number two seed which again gives you an advantage on the mound.

Todd4State
04-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Pilkington, Billingsley and then see what sticks until we can get to Self and Price?

Dawg61
04-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Were you one of the folks thinking it was a good idea to start Paul Maholm against MTSU in 2003?

Losing the first game and winning the second puts you in the exact same position as winning the first and losing the second. That position is the losers bracket. Both games are equally important, so you have to match your best pitcher against the best team you could potentially play in the regional. The notion that "you can't go 2-0 without winning the first one" is BS. You can't go 2-0 without winning the second game, either. With this team, its especially important that we stay out of the loser's bracket due to the pitching depth concerns, thus amplifying the importance of making the correct decisions with our starting pitchers in the regional.

Depends on the matchup. I am pitching my #1 unless it's a total shit team we are facing. We aren't good enough to just chalk up wins.

I seen it dawg
04-17-2017, 07:47 PM
lol this shit is gold

somebodyshotmypaw
04-17-2017, 07:54 PM

I'll bet he would say that it's way too early to decide who starts game 1 of a regional.

Political Hack
04-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Self and McQuary might be out... for a while...

Blaylock likely to throw tomorrow. Mangum likely out tomorrow.

State82
04-17-2017, 09:45 PM
lol this shit is gold

Ha. My sentiments exactly

Noxdog
04-17-2017, 09:52 PM

Why MCQ and Self out? Joke?

Did Blaylock even pitch in the fall much less HS? We are down to 23/24 guys. To lose Mc and Self would be unreal. I have seen this no where else,BTW. Not saying you are not passing on what you heard/know but it's not anywhere else.

The Federalist Engineer
04-17-2017, 11:50 PM

Damn. I love how the team has fought this season, but I hate how all this has developed.

Homedawg
04-18-2017, 08:29 AM

That was a 6 team tourney. Totally a different deal.

GTHOM
04-18-2017, 09:04 AM
It is kind of like being pissed last year because we didn't go to Omaha. We won the SEC so that was a damn fine season. It is ok to look at the glass half empty but appreciate the glass half full.

We did lose to a good Arizona team but still getting beat 2 straight at home in the Supers was disappointing. We were better than that

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2017, 10:49 AM
That was a 6 team tourney. Totally a different deal.

In the 6 team tourney, a #1 seed at home got meatballs in game-1. The real combat did not start until game-3 when you met the #2 seed. At game-3, it became a 4-team tourney with a brutal loser's bracket if you burned your #1 and #2 starters on the meatballs

Homedawg
04-18-2017, 02:22 PM
In the 6 team tourney, a #1 seed at home got meatballs in game-1. The real combat did not start until game-3 when you met the #2 seed. At game-3, it became a 4-team tourney with a brutal loser's bracket if you burned your #1 and #2 starters on the meatballs

If you lose either of the first two games in a 6 team you are behind the 8 ball in an awful way. We didn't lose that tourney because we pitched reed first. We lost it because unc had not one but 2 guys shove it up our ass in that tourney.