PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Update

lamont
04-15-2017, 12:34 PM
0-4 with a hat trick last night. To compound his play- our "plus-plus" defender threw the ball into RF to give SC a couple of runs.

For those keeping score at home- that's a .156 batting average in SEC play with 16 K's in 13 games. Let's not leave out that .933 fielding percentage in SEC play. Nobody else can do what he does!!!!!!

BayouDawg
04-15-2017, 12:37 PM
When is the last time we had a solid 3rd baseman? Connor powers? I don't think we had one during the Cohen era. I think our last several have been borderline liabilities

lamont
04-15-2017, 12:40 PM
13 games- no RBI's and 3 runs scored

Bragg has had 12 SEC AB's- hitting .333 with a HR and 4 RBI's. 3 runs scored

msstate7
04-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Fielding % is such a clown way to determine how good of a fielder someone is. You like it though, so gridley is .938... is he a terrible defender too?

HoopsDawg
04-15-2017, 12:43 PM
13 games- no RBI's and 3 runs scored

Bragg has had 12 SEC AB's- hitting .333 with a HR and 4 RBI's. 3 runs scored

First move we have to make is putting macnamee in RF and letting Bragg DH. Let's start there first. Cody was huge in LF last night.

msstate7
04-15-2017, 12:46 PM
First move we have to make is putting macnamee in RF and letting Bragg DH. Let's start there first. Cody was huge in LF last night.

Add 2 to the scoreboard for South Carolina if random had his way last night

msstate7
04-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Andrelton simmons' fielding % is .947 this year. He's one of the worst defensive shortstops in MLB... angels should really look to upgrade**

msstate7
04-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Now I certainly agree that Luke has to hit better. Jim said last night Luke had a hit in 7 of his previous 8 games though, so it isn't like he's not hitting at all. Schmidt and Reagan have and will issue a lot of 0-4s though

ZedFedder
04-15-2017, 01:02 PM
I'd love to get Bragg's power in there but I believe he is such a liability defensively right now that he can't.

GTHOM
04-15-2017, 01:05 PM
He's had some bad moments, errors, struggling hitting, missing first base on a double vs OM so I can see Randoms point but hes done some good things too. He deserves a chance to hit out of it, doesnt seem like Cann is gonna bench him

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:12 PM
I'd start Bragg at 3B tonight. He can throw a ball into RF as well as LA, while possibly putting the ball in play at the plate. I'm not throwing LA away, but maybe sitting a bit can help him refocus while giving Bragg a shot to help us

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Did Bragg make errors at 3B that I missed? Why does everyone act like he sucks defensively? Not arguing it, just wondering if I missed his errors. LA just doesn't seem to be focused right now. Maybe he's pressing. Start Bragg and we can always sub in LA for defense late

Bully13
04-15-2017, 01:17 PM
0-4 with a hat trick last night. To compound his play- our "plus-plus" defender threw the ball into RF to give SC a couple of runs.

For those keeping score at home- that's a .156 batting average in SEC play with 16 K's in 13 games. Let's not leave out that .933 fielding percentage in SEC play. Nobody else can do what he does!!!!!!

You make a good point but I question the timing of the post. These are happy times. Be happy, not bitchy.

msstate7
04-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Did Bragg make errors at 3B that I missed? Why does everyone act like he sucks defensively? Not arguing it, just wondering if I missed his errors. LA just doesn't seem to be focused right now. Maybe he's pressing. Start Bragg and we can always sub in LA for defense late

From the fall ball accounts, Bragg was abysmal at 3b

lamont
04-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Fielding % is such a clown way to determine how good of a fielder someone is. You like it though, so gridley is .938... is he a terrible defender too?

Gridley made a bad error too- but you can justify playing him. He's a .300 hitter

lamont
04-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Now I certainly agree that Luke has to hit better. Jim said last night Luke had a hit in 7 of his previous 8 games though, so it isn't like he's not hitting at all. Schmidt and Reagan have and will issue a lot of 0-4s though

He is 2/16 in his last 4 SEC games. Thats not hitting the ball

smootness
04-15-2017, 01:23 PM
With each of these updates, you only make yourself look worse.

Not playing well, and still in the lineup every single day.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:23 PM
From the fall ball accounts, Bragg was abysmal at 3b

Holy smokes, play the guy...didn't realize it was based on fall ball. I bet LA wasn't K'ing 50% of the time in fall ball either. Why not give Bragg a shot? Can't do worse. If he makes an error, put LA in

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Do we play at 3 or 4 today CT?

msstate7
04-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Holy smokes, play the guy...didn't realize it was based on fall ball. I bet LA wasn't K'ing 50% of the time in fall ball either. Why not give Bragg a shot? Can't do worse. If he makes an error, put LA in

If Cann tried it, I'd support it and hope for the best. I'm not sure putting a poor defender at 3b is a good idea with Cole on the mound today though. If you wanna try it, do it Tuesday in mobile

msstate7
04-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Do we play at 3 or 4 today CT?

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:32 PM
If Cann tried it, I'd support it and hope for the best. I'm not sure putting a poor defender at 3b is a good idea with Cole on the mound today though. If you wanna try it, do it Tuesday in mobile

Wut? LA isn't playing good D right now...and I'd rather LA figure his bat out midweek instead of killing us with it in a big SEC series. But that's just me

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:32 PM

Thanks

msstate7
04-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Wut? LA isn't playing good D right now...and I'd rather LA figure his bat out midweek instead of killing us with it in a big SEC series. But that's just me

He has 2 errors in sec play. It's not like he's booting balls left and right.

basedog
04-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Belmont will never hit SEC pitching imo. I would think a change is coming, if nothing else maybe let Belmont sit a few games and think about things. He could always come in a play 3rd in late inning games. Pretty sure Stovall can play third, I wouldn't be surprised if Cody couldn't play third.

Just saying.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Belmont will never hit SEC pitching imo. I would think a change is coming, if nothing else maybe let Belmont sit a few games and think about things. He could always come in a play 3rd in late inning games. Pretty sure Stovall can play third, I wouldn't be surprised if Cody couldn't play third.

Just saying.

I think LA will eventually hit SEC pitching, but I agree with everything else you said

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:43 PM
He has 2 errors in sec play. It's not like he's booting balls left and right.

He's not looking like Chipper Jones either, which he needs to be doing if he's going to keep hitting sub .170 with all these K's and starting imo

basedog
04-15-2017, 01:53 PM
I think LA will eventually hit SEC pitching, but I agree with everything else you said

I bet Cann will have a 3rd baseman next year, I think Belmont will be a utility infielder who fills in next year. More of a substitute late inning guy.

msstate7
04-15-2017, 01:56 PM

Just saying.

SMH... Luke hasn't even faced 1 full season of sec pitching and you declare he'll never do it.

Cody has played 3b and didn't have the arm to throw a guy out vs tenn. Cody might could handle it if not for too weak of an arm. Cody in LF was the difference in the game... he caught a 2-run HR. Cody is ultra-useful, but LF is where he's at his best

CadaverDawg
04-15-2017, 01:57 PM
SMH... Luke hasn't even faced 1 full season of sec pitching and you declare he'll never do it.

Cody has played 3b and didn't have the arm to throw a guy out vs tenn. Cody might could handle it if not for too weak of an arm. Cody in LF was the difference in the game... he caught a 2-run HR. Cody is ultra-useful, but LF is where he's at his best

I agree with all of this. I'd go Bragg if anyone

Ari Gold
04-15-2017, 02:05 PM
I said it 3 weeks ago. The kid better start hitting ..

justwin
04-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Luke needs to get his front foot down a second sooner and he'lll start driving those balls hes fouling straight back

smootness
04-15-2017, 02:48 PM
He's not looking like Chipper Jones either, which he needs to be doing if he's going to keep hitting sub .170 with all these K's and starting imo

Haha what? He's a better defender than Chipper was.

MarketingBully
04-15-2017, 02:49 PM
In Cohen's defense, we had recruited one but the Braves took him in the supplemental round to rot in the minors for a bunch of years. Ironically, had Riley come to MSU he would have made the majors in less time while honing his craft against AAA competition thus ending up making more money overall instead of the route he took.

basedog
04-15-2017, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=msstate7;733475]SMH... Luke hasn't even faced 1 full season of sec pitching and you declare he'll never do it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, you questioning me or anyone about Belmont is just damn funny. I said imo he want hit Sec pitching. He hasn't come close to making contact with the breaking stuff, his pitch selection is awful, doesn't make enough contact for me to think he will ever be a Sec hitter. We shall see.

Btw, Stovall can play 3rd and I bet be damn good. Having players like Mangum, Gridley and Stovall is awesome watching them grind every pitch and every play!

Btw, having Poole and Belmont come up with risp last night was just brutal watching. They both strike out way too much.

msstate7
04-15-2017, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=msstate7;733475]SMH... Luke hasn't even faced 1 full season of sec pitching and you declare he'll never do it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, you questioning me or anyone about Belmont is just damn funny. I said imo he want hit Sec pitching. He hasn't come close to making contact with the breaking stuff, his pitch selection is awful, doesn't make enough contact for me to think he will ever be a Sec hitter. We shall see.

Btw, Stovall can play 3rd and I bet be damn good. Having players like Mangum, Gridley and Stovall is awesome watching them grind every pitch and every play!

Btw, having Poole and Belmont come up with risp last night was just brutal watching. They both strike out way too much.

Gridley in his freshman year had 169 ABs and here's his numbers... .243/.319/.314 ops 633

Luke has only had 198 ABs in his career so far and here's his numbers... .247/.338/.364 ops 702

To make a definitive prediction like Luke will never hit sec pitching is ridiculous

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Click bait

lamont
04-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Gridley struck out at a much lower rate as a true freshman than the Soph Belmont

basedog
04-15-2017, 03:11 PM
7 say "Luke I'm your Father"!

You make me LOL!

lamont
04-15-2017, 03:12 PM
It is kinda funny that Belmont is #7

msstate7
04-15-2017, 03:14 PM
It is kinda funny that Belmont is #7

HevLuke7

msstate7
04-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Lol

Tripp McNeely
04-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Belmont!!!!

sandwolf
04-15-2017, 03:52 PM
LOL, nice response Luke.

basedog
04-15-2017, 03:59 PM
Nice indeed.

GTHOM
04-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Damn

lamont
04-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Glad he hit the HR- but still 1-8 this weekend with 4 K's

basedog
04-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Belmont's Father says he will hit watch him*****

smootness
04-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Glad he hit the HR

Ha, good one.

msstate7
04-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Ha, good one.

+1

HSVDawg
04-15-2017, 09:22 PM

So, is Cannizaro a moron, or do we really have no one else to play 3rd base? Because if we do have someone else who can play 3rd base, he absolutely is a ****ing moron for not pinch hitting for LA in the top of the 9th last night with the insurance run on 3rd. You tell us which one it is, Taco-damus.

Goat from MSU
04-15-2017, 09:22 PM
We are 10-1 in our last sec games and you have your head up your ass. Nice,go back to Momma's basement.

Liverpooldawg
04-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Once again, Luke has played internationally for the USA on nearly every level for his age so far. USA international coaches vs Random 34. Yeah boy..............

The Federalist Engineer
04-15-2017, 10:07 PM
Basically, because of injury last season, LA is paying freshmen dues right-now. Next season he will be much better and he could get hot this year. Not everybody can be Mangum and just be great with limited experience

We got a great payback from developing Renfroe and Rooker - who were Mendoza as freshmen and redshirt freshmen

lamont
04-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Once again, Luke has played internationally for the USA on nearly every level for his age so far. USA international coaches vs Random 34. Yeah boy..............

And again- that doesn't mean one thing now that he is an SEC baseball player

Liverpooldawg
04-15-2017, 10:15 PM
And again- that doesn't mean one thing now that he is an SEC baseball player

It means more, WAY more, than what you think. What is your experience coaching baseball again, just for the record?

BeardoMSU
04-15-2017, 10:17 PM
It means more, WAY more, than what you think. What is your experience coaching baseball again, just for the record?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/THISGONBGUD.gif

lamont
04-15-2017, 10:19 PM

No it doesn't. The only thing that matters is his play. He is hitting .160 in SEC play. He sux as an SEC hitter THIS YEAR. It's time to make a move FOR THIS 2017 TEAM

lamont
04-15-2017, 10:21 PM

Lol- I teach people how to make taco and nachos

Liverpooldawg
04-15-2017, 10:23 PM
No it doesn't. The only thing that matters is his play. He is hitting .160 in SEC play. He sux as an SEC hitter THIS YEAR. It's time to make a move FOR THIS 2017 TEAM

Well, he has actually PLAYED at a much higher level than you have even thought about coaching at. Then again you know everything about everything so there is that. Lay off Luke man. If you only knew.

confucius say
04-15-2017, 10:25 PM

Cann has made the decision to give up offensive production in the 7 and 8 holes (LA and Poole) for elite defense (LA) and elite speed in the outfield (Poole). It's working so don't change it until you have to.

lamont
04-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Well, he has actually PLAYED at a much higher level than you have even thought about coaching at. Then again you know everything about everything so there is that. Lay off Luke man. If you only knew.

I've coached people playing at a higher level than Belmont currently plays. You need to stfu about things you have no knowledge of. I've got 8 former players that have made it father than Belmont

Liverpooldawg
04-15-2017, 10:29 PM
I've coached people playing at a higher level than Belmont currently plays. You need to stfu about things you have no knowledge of

LAUGH OUT LOUD! When did you coach them and at what level? I coached a few really good college players in U5 too. Does that make me an expert? HELL NO. International level coaches have liked Luke for years.

BeardoMSU
04-15-2017, 10:32 PM
LAUGH OUT LOUD! When did you coach them and at what level? I coached a few really good college players in U5 too. Does that make me an expert? HELL NO. International level coaches have liked Luke for years.

The head lawyer at the firm Einstein worked at as a patent clerk says the same thing, lol.

Liverpooldawg
04-15-2017, 10:35 PM
The head lawyer at the firm Einstein worked at as a patent clerk says the same thing, lol.

YEP.

smootness
04-15-2017, 10:36 PM
I've coached people playing at a higher level than Belmont currently plays. You need to stfu about things you have no knowledge of. I've got 8 former players that have made it father than Belmont

LOL

msstate7
04-15-2017, 10:40 PM
For the record, what's farther than starting in the sec?

Noxdog
04-15-2017, 10:41 PM
LOL

but if i remember right, RP has a Trophy in LA. I love to dig on him but he knows baseball...football not as much.

Liverpooldawg
04-15-2017, 10:43 PM

Really? Eight? Wow. I had at least 4 that made it as far as he has........and I don't coach for a living, and never have. I also live in a small town and only coached park and rec soccer because nobody else would. Nice job there random, you really showed me!

Westdawg
04-15-2017, 11:02 PM

No offense , but I have had former players playing on Sundays and in the Show each week; heck, I've had half the SEC west's assistants as well as some Big 12 and PAC coaches talk my ear off because some player or another that may have been gracing the locker room of schools I had been a coach at, but I don't let that get to my head and think I am or was some awesome coach or deify myself as some Demi-god coach because of what they accomplished and therefore I am the know-all/ be-all for answers. Matter of fact, I realize that players like those I had were players that would have shined if I had put them in a pond of crap at midnight because those kinds of players are just destined for bigger things
I can say this with absolute certainty - no one on this board at this moment in time could take the hand Cann has been dealt this year and made such a run. Yes, we have talent all over the field, but he has done a phenomenal job at getting them to do things to WIN. Heck, right now none of us are worthy of being the fabric in his jock strap as far as coaching decisions. Yes, it is frustrating to see what he is trying to do with this player and keeping big him swinging, but being a coach, sometimes you have to just keep on keeping on with SOME players. Not all players, but some, have to figure it all out by playing through it. Others have to be taken out in order to re-set mentally. Some you can cuss out, some you are gentle. Some you can push to the edge, while others have to be able to take a step back from it all in order to see it clearly.
And last but not least.......
Sometimes, not always, but SOMETIMES, you are the biggest prick this side of The Grove when they sing "Dixie".

chainedup_Dawg
04-15-2017, 11:47 PM
What Cann is doing with what he has been given says he deserves a pretty lengthy leash as far as his personnel calls are concerned. He obviously doesn't trust anyone to handle the 5 as much as he does LA and that's okay with me at this point. Yes, LA needs to figure some things out at the plate but if he's the best fielding 3B we have by Cann's opinion and he feels it outweighs the difference in BA that we would gain from someone else then so be it.

lamont
04-16-2017, 01:53 AM
For the record, what's farther than starting in the sec?

pro ball

Ari Gold
04-16-2017, 08:58 AM
Here's the deal. If the kid hits he will keep playing. He is a solid fielding INF, but some here think he is Brooks Robinson and others felt he was Ozzie Smith. This year I don't see a change being made, but Cann is about to start stock piling talent. He better learn to hit SEC pitching or he won't be playing 3b or SS in the future.

Situation.
If there are men on in scoring position with 2 outs or less who is the one or 2 guys you don't want at the plate.?
LA is at the top or near the top of that list. That's not a good thing in this lineup..

lamont
04-16-2017, 09:53 AM
but if i remember right, RP has a Trophy in LA. .

I make tacos. But my friend C34 has one though

lamont
04-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Here's the deal. If the kid hits he will keep playing. He is a solid fielding INF, but some here think he is Brooks Robinson and others felt he was Ozzie Smith. This year I don't see a change being made, but Cann is about to start stock piling talent. He better learn to hit SEC pitching or he won't be playing 3b or SS in the future.

Situation.
If there are men on in scoring position with 2 outs or less who is the one or 2 guys you don't want at the plate.?
LA is at the top or near the top of that list. That's not a good thing in this lineup..

Exactly

He came up with the bases loaded in the 9th yesterday and couldnt even put the ball in play with a drawn in infield. It almost cost us the game. Thank goodness for Stovall

msstate7
04-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Exactly

He came up with the bases loaded in the 9th yesterday and couldnt even put the ball in play with a drawn in infield. It almost cost us the game. Thank goodness for Stovall

Well he did hit a hr and made a nice play to close out the 8th

lamont
04-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Well he did hit a hr and made a nice play to close out the 8th

yep- only took him 14 SEC games to get an RBI

WinningIsRelentless
04-16-2017, 10:11 AM

Situation.

But if we were in the field with bases loaded tied up in the bottom of the 9th who would you want taking the ground ball. The guy being mentioned to replace LA hasn't fielded a groundball clean since he has been on campus.

Ari Gold
04-16-2017, 10:55 AM
But if we were in the field with bases loaded tied up in the bottom of the 9th who would you want taking the ground ball. The guy being mentioned to replace LA hasn't fielded a groundball clean since he has been on campus.

I'm not disagreeing.. I'm just saying.
But if we had a few OF that were swinging the sticks well, don't think Stovall at 3b and Cody at 2b wouldn't be an opinion.

LA hasn't taken NEAR the abuse IJ took on here, and most of that was unwarranted.
It's because some anointed him as the ONLY option at SS when we have a staple there already. I hope he does start to swinging the bat better cause he is our best option at 3rd.
But Bottom line is you don't produce you don't play. This isn't 9-10 year old ball where everyone plays and gets a trophy.

msstate7
04-16-2017, 12:09 PM
I'm not disagreeing.. I'm just saying.
But if we had a few OF that were swinging the sticks well, don't think Stovall at 3b and Cody at 2b wouldn't be an opinion.

LA hasn't taken NEAR the abuse IJ took on here, and most of that was unwarranted.
It's because some anointed him as the ONLY option at SS when we have a staple there already. I hope he does start to swinging the bat better cause he is our best option at 3rd.
But Bottom line is you don't produce you don't play. This isn't 9-10 year old ball where everyone plays and gets a trophy.

4th in HRs
3rd in BB
6th in OPS
6th in slugging %
Best 3b defensively

He's producing... I think he has more offense than he's given and I think he will pick it up

lamont
04-16-2017, 01:39 PM
4th in HRs
3rd in BB
6th in OPS
6th in slugging %
Best 3b defensively

He's producing... I think he has more offense than he's given and I think he will pick it up

14 SEC games:

12th in average
Tied for 11th in RBI's
11th in OBP
Tied for 10th in extra base hits with ONE
1st in strikeouts

He's not producing anything Seven. Not even a little

lamont
04-16-2017, 01:45 PM
and the thing is- if this was ANY other player in any other sport- you'd want his ass out of there too

Noxdog
04-16-2017, 01:59 PM
I make tacos. But my friend C34 has one though

HaHa. I forgot that you are a shift MGR at taco touhy's. Live Mas!

Tbonewannabe
04-16-2017, 02:10 PM
He is than better Holland was last yearv

Ari Gold
04-16-2017, 04:00 PM
He is than better Holland was last yearv

And John split time a lot last year. If Stovall hadn't got hurt I'm guessing he would have played more at 2nd. And Shit we should of had Cody at 2nd base last year with the outfield we had.