PDA

View Full Version : tight ends coach

Bo Darville
04-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Reed Stringer was named by several publications as "recruiter of the year" in the Sun Belt Conference. He was a solid recruiter when he was at MSU. If you remember, Mullen canned most everybody when he got here, but held onto Stringer until signing day because of his work with the class that included Josh Boyd, Cameron Lawrence, Jonathan Banks, Fletcher Cox, Chris Smith, Ladarius Perkins Chad Bumphis, etc. He didn't want to fire Stringer immediately because he wanted to hold the class together. Stringer seemed to do a decent job with tight ends, but was a disaster with the special teams. Stringer is also a Mississippi boy and his parents are big alums. Hudspeth thinks the world of him (I assure you that Stringer will be back as an MSU assistant if Hud ever becomes our head coach), so I ask you this. With Sallach basically being a non-factor in recruiting and tight ends being a fairly easy position to coach, would you take Stringer back over Sallach? It won't happen because I don't think Stringer would leave Hud, but I was just curious who you would prefer. I'm only asking for a straight comparison of Sallach versus Stringer as tight ends coach only.

Coach34
04-09-2013, 09:04 AM
TE coach is the most worthless position on the staff- from a coaching standpoint. You have very little to teach one on one. Then you work in conjunction with the WR coach in ball drills...then with the OL coach in blocking drills. You're TE coach either needs to be a good recruiter, or he has to be one of the hardasses on staff that chews ass constantly. (All staffs have to have a mix of player's coaches and asschewers to be effective).

So you're basically asking who would be the better recruiter- Stringer or Sallach? Well, that would be Stringer. But there aint no way in Hayyyyyyyyyle he would work for Mullen again

Bo Darville
04-09-2013, 09:11 AM
You think like I do coach. Sallach has done nothing in recruiting while Stringer was extremely successful recruiting at MSU and is extremely successful with HUD. I also would take Stringer. Like you said, he would not work for Mullen, because Stringer felt like he wasn't treated fairly when Mullen came in. Stringer felt like he should have been kept for at least one year to prove himself, or he should have been fired like everybody else so he could go look for a job. He didn't like Mullen keeping him on until signing day to hold the class together, then firing him.

Coach34
04-09-2013, 09:24 AM
well, Sallach gets a bad rap on recruiting. I think he was very instrumental this year with Shumpert if I'm not mistaken and has been for a few other good players. But overall is he as good as Stringer? Probably not

BeastMan
04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
well, Sallach gets a bad rap on recruiting. I think he was very instrumental this year with Shumpert if I'm not mistaken and has been for a few other good players. But overall is he as good as Stringer? Probably not

Sallach did a really nice job with Shumpert. OM threw the kitchen sink at him and we handled it nicely. His area in NE MS and to be fair there haven't been many prospects that way. Is Stringer a better recruiter? Maybe so. You have to wonder if Stringer would even come back. He may be a Hud loyal guy

1bigdawg
04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Sallach may not be an awful recruiter, but no one considers him a top recruiter either. He coaches at a position where you either should be a great recruiter, one of the "hardass" coaches or a football genius who is otherwise not that great a coach. I have not seen evidence that he is any of these. I have nothing against the guy and he is not a negative. But he is not the positive we need at that position and we can and should do better.

Bo Darville
04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
You have to wonder if Stringer would even come back. He may be a Hud loyal guy

He loves coaching with Hud. Stringer ain't leaving Hud. If Hud comes to MSU as head coach one day, Stringer will come with him. I was just throwing a hypothetical out there. I didn't realize Sallach was on Ashton Shumpert. Good to know.

I am glad to see Stringer having success in Lafayette, and being recognized for it. We need to keep an eye on what happens down there, because surely Hud would be on our short list if Mullen were to leave.

BeastMan
04-09-2013, 09:35 AM
I agree 100% 1bigdawg. Great points