PDA

View Full Version : Early signing period passes per NCAA tweet.

DancingRabbit
04-14-2017, 10:09 AM
Not much detail yet.

DI Council allows early football signing period and coaches to recruit at camps and clinics, but restricts when and where they can occur.

https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/852890428772888576

Saltydog
04-14-2017, 10:23 AM
disagree. I think it helps schools like MSU, Upig, USC, UK and Mizzou. We shall see but that's great news IMO. I know Saban hates it because it would hurt his ability to flip some players at the last minute (i.e. Lashley).

QuadrupleOption
04-14-2017, 10:55 AM
This is a good thing for MSU.

WSOPdawg
04-14-2017, 11:36 AM

Yup, a very good thing. Will really reward the program's evaluation efforts when the coaches identify kids early and get them committed and signed before they have a chance to blow up on the field their senior year from a 3- or 4-star into a 4- or 5-star. Saban and the elite power programs will hate this but this is definitely a good thing for us.

Reason2succeed
04-14-2017, 11:38 AM
This should help out a lot. Coaches can lock up solid players early and all the "pre-Madonna" players that want to play hanky panky can stay out there till the end and sign with the highest bidder.

DancingRabbit
04-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Yup, a very good thing. Will really reward the program's evaluation efforts when the coaches identify kids early and get them committed and signed before they have a chance to blow up on the field their senior year from a 3- or 4-star into a 4- or 5-star. Saban and the elite power programs will hate this but this is definitely a good thing for us.

I think it's going to be early or mid-December, so it will be after their senior year is completed.

1bigdawg
04-14-2017, 11:50 AM
I think it's going to be early or mid-December, so it will be after their senior year is completed.

Still, it will be before the "All-Star" games.

Johnson85
04-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Still, it will be before the "All-Star" games.

And it will give coaches more information to go on and limit some of the last second musical chairs that has tended to I think disproportionately hurt us in the past. If a person is saying their committed but won't sign in the early signing period, that lets the coaches know they don't really have a commit. Even if it's just a highest bidder situation, they can go ahead and get that situation out of the way and both winners and losers will know how to proceed with plan B (or not). I'm sure there will still be some players that hold out until the last signing day just to maximize the exposure and possibly money, but a lot of others won't because if everybody does somebody will end up getting left out.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2017, 12:01 PM
I find it funny how some articles are already being written about how Saban and Meyer disagree with this legislation and my question is, "of course they do and why does anyone give a rats ass what they think?"

Of course they disagree with a system that doesn't pander to them and offer them every advantage in acquiring the best 25 players in the country.

The other thing Bama fans are upset at is the limit to the amount of off field personnel that can be employed. Basically Bama has 90+ people working in their football department. That is an extremely slippery slope that creates a system where the powers cannot fail. The amount of money you have should not decide football games.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2017, 12:03 PM

True, buts it's gonna help. It will be interesting to see the dynamic of how recruits that are being kept warm by Bama handle their recruitment when Bama doesn't allow them to sign in December and MSU will.

HSVDawg
04-14-2017, 12:23 PM
True, buts it's gonna help. It will be interesting to see the dynamic of how recruits that are being kept warm by Bama handle their recruitment when Bama doesn't allow them to sign in December and MSU will.

Correct. The end result is that the 5-star and high 4-star types are all going to still wait until the late period to sign for max exposure and to fully experience the recruiting proce$$. Therefore, the Bama's of the world are going to head into the late period with a lot more uncertainty than the other schools.

The other impact is that there will be two rounds of official visits. There will have to be a "big weekend" both during the season and another after the bowl games. It will be interesting to see how it goes with those visits during the season, and if signees in the early period will be allowed to visit during the January / February visit weekends to aid the recruiting efforts.

HSVDawg
04-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Awesome. Does it go into effect starting with the 2018 class or no?

Goldendawg
04-14-2017, 12:28 PM
What keeps a FB player who signs early from demanding his release later (ala Brooks), when he blows up later and some bigger name program illegally gets in his or a parent's ear?

HSVDawg
04-14-2017, 12:30 PM
What keeps a FB player who signs early from demanding his release later (ala Brooks), when he blows up later and some bigger name program illegally gets in his or a parent's ear?

Pretty simple, we make sure the father of said recruit isn't both on our coaching staff and divorced with a jaded bitch of an ex-wife.

Goldendawg
04-14-2017, 12:36 PM
So Mom didn't sign letter and was custodial parent (yeah, I read her interview on FWTCBT) ? If so, how did we ever expect that to fly? Like the kid who signed with both UNM and Utah a couple of years ago?

CadaverDawg
04-14-2017, 12:36 PM
I may be missing something, but how is this not going to just create a second signing day like the current one and make recruiting twice as crazy each year?

Bodaski
04-14-2017, 12:40 PM

I agree. I hope the NCAA will stiffen the rules of players changing their minds and want out of their early signing,aka Garrison Brooks

HSVDawg
04-14-2017, 12:50 PM
So Mom didn't sign letter and was custodial parent (yeah, I read her interview on FWTCBT) ? If so, how did we ever expect that to fly? Like the kid who signed with both UNM and Utah a couple of years ago?

I don't think there is any requirement that the signing parent has to be the "custodial parent". If its joint, split, or even primary/secondary custody, either parent can sign unless its a sole custody situation (legally speaking). And if he's already 18 he doesn't have to have either parent sign. Long story short is that mom is a bitch and is using her kid to get back at dad. She knew 5 months ago where he signed and just now started raising hell about it. End of story.

HSVDawg
04-14-2017, 12:54 PM
I may be missing something, but how is this not going to just create a second signing day like the current one and make recruiting twice as crazy each year?

Because all of the elite kids are still going to wait until the late period, more than likely.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2017, 01:13 PM

It will create 2 crazy days, but it'll also force either schools or the recruit to show their cards earlier.

If the kid doesn't sign with MSU in the early period, then it's clear he's fishing for bigger offers. Cards shown.

If Bama won't allow a kid to sign in the early period, then Bama has shown their cards.

Ultimately, what will happen is Bama will try to keep everyone from signing in the early period and the next tier schools like MSU will counter to the kid that they may lose their spot at MSU if they hold out for a Bama offer. Either way, the new rule gives schools like MSU leverage that they've never had. Which should help, at least a little.

Todd4State
04-14-2017, 02:08 PM
I agree with everyone that this helps us. We won't have to baby sit our commits that have been solid and we can focus on the guys that don't sign in December. It will also help us identify needs and decrease the chances of us getting burned and we can focus on those after December as well.

I still think that the big day will still be in February and that will be like it is now.

I think the December one will be a lot like it was for us this year when we landed Keytaeon and the JUCO guys. My guess is we'll be able to typically sign somewhere between 5-10 guys in December and then the rest will be in February. My guess is the guys that are going to want to sign in December are typically going to be QB's wanting to graduate early and start their college career and guys that aren't really into all of the recruiting attention and hoopla and just want to go ahead and get it over with.

Todd4State
04-14-2017, 02:10 PM
It will create 2 crazy days, but it'll also force either schools or the recruit to show their cards earlier.

If the kid doesn't sign with MSU in the early period, then it's clear he's fishing for bigger offers. Cards shown.

If Bama won't allow a kid to sign in the early period, then Bama has shown their cards.

Ultimately, what will happen is Bama will try to keep everyone from signing in the early period and the next tier schools like MSU will counter to the kid that they may lose their spot at MSU if they hold out for a Bama offer. Either way, the new rule gives schools like MSU leverage that they've never had. Which should help, at least a little.

Exactly. And we've been burned too many times in the past because we didn't have this leverage.

ShotgunDawg
04-14-2017, 02:20 PM
I think we would've signed Boluvas this year if there was a December signing period

WSOPdawg
04-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Ultimately, what will happen is Bama will try to kep everyone from signing in the early period and the next tier schools like MSU will counter to the kid that they may lose their spot at MSU if they hold out for a Bama offer. Either way, the new rule gives schools like MSU leverage that they've never had. Which should help, at least a little.

Nailed it!