PDA

View Full Version : OT: What lines have y'all used to get cable/satellite companies to come off prices?

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2017, 09:37 AM
I've got to make my annual call to Direct TV today gripe about their rates and wondered what lines y'all have used to great success. I've always just stuck with why should I pay you $132 when I can get the same thing from Dish for $55, but was wondering if anybody out there had any off the wall talking points that really racked up the discounts and concessions.

bulldog2488
04-12-2017, 09:46 AM
I think right now you have a lot of leverage with more and more companies coming out with streaming packages like SlingTV, YouTube Tv, and more on the way. I would tell them you are switching to one of those (I highly recommend SlingTV by the way) if you are dead set on staying with a satellite service. It should buy you another year or two at a good price. I ditched Direct TV last year because they kept going up on my bill. I wasn't paying $150 bucks for satellite tv. I've been very happy with SlingTV.

dawgs
04-12-2017, 09:47 AM
I dropped Comcast a couple months ago when my neighborhood got fiber and I switched to ps vue. Got surprisingly little pushback from them, and I've had Comcast in my name for 12 or 13 years prior. I figured they'd be offering all kinds of deals to hold onto me.

Jack Lambert
04-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Just tell them you are going to switch if they don't lower your rate.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2017, 09:52 AM
I would love to go to streaming TV, but I live in an area where it costs a fortune to get Wi-Fi so I haven't done it yet. C Spire has fiber about 5 streets away so I keep hoping that will get extended out to my area sometime soon. Right now about my only option is Hughes Net.

JDog13
04-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Tell them you can get what you want with Sling for $50. Cut mine in half.

TimberBeast
04-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Funny that you asked this today, I was on the phone with ATT yesterday for an hour and a half trying to get my bill down. We are in about the 14th month of a 2 year contract. 3 phones (2 of which are 5c), directTV, and internet through uverse. After the first 12 month promotional crap wore off our bill skyrocketed, 95% of it was directTV doubling. They wouldn't give me much and I told them no way I was doing another contract. I don't know what we'll do about phones / internet, but in a few months I'm going to pay off the final months of the contract and tell them to come pick up their equipment. I'm done with it. I really don't know what you're going to get that's going to
be any better through cable / sattelite.

Like everyone else, my family watches maybe 10 to 15 channels out of the hundreds we have. One of the biggest issues was always trying to get tennis channel and golf channel both in HD. For some reason they are always in different tiers but we have always paid a little more for that. I figure over the next few months before football season I'm going to ask around and look into the different optionsfor streaming whatever we want and get everything set up for that. It certainly couldn't cost me anymore than directTV which I have never even really been happy with.

Good luck and please update with what you find out.

TrapGame
04-12-2017, 10:03 AM
I dropped Comcast a couple months ago when my neighborhood got fiber and I switched to ps vue. Got surprisingly little pushback from them, and I've had Comcast in my name for 12 or 13 years prior. I figured they'd be offering all kinds of deals to hold onto me.

Interesting. My wife pitched a fit over our cable bill and had me cut all premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc) to save money. Dude at Comcast gave me one offer that was basically $25 less a month when dropping all the channels would be $90 off my bill. No free for 6 months, no we will charge you a different tier for a year, just a flat $25 off a month and that's it. I told him no, cut everything. We use Netflix and Amazon Prime so much there's really no need for anything else. However, my wife understands that come June I'm getting HBO again for Game of Thrones.

HSVDawg
04-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Ask to speak to the service cancellations department. That should do the trick. No need to haggle with them.

CarolinaDawgs
04-12-2017, 10:42 AM
I called to move my service around 4 months ago and she gave me another 2 years of the promotion on the spot. Just because I was polite. God Bless my southern roots. This was with DTV by the way.

EdDawg
04-12-2017, 10:46 AM
I ended my contract with Directv back in November, and haven't missed it at all. You never realize how much of your day that is wasting watching stuff that you don't even care about because "nothing else is on."

We have amazon prime that we watch some at night before bed but other than that I have not missed tv at all. Come football season I will go to a local restaurant and watch the game there.

PMDawg
04-12-2017, 10:49 AM
I've got to make my annual call to Direct TV today gripe about their rates and wondered what lines y'all have used to great success. I've always just stuck with why should I pay you $132 when I can get the same thing from Dish for $55, but was wondering if anybody out there had any off the wall talking points that really racked up the discounts and concessions.

"Cancel my service". "No really, I want to cancel". Take it all the way to the end, saying no thanks to every offer to stay, and even schedule a cancellation date. Then you will get the best offer. If they let you cancel, then really switch to Dish. They are cheaper anyway, and that line always works on them. I have had Dish for over 7 years now and have never paid more than $90/month (usually $80 or $85) with the top package w/o any movie or sport add-on packages.

notoriousdog
04-12-2017, 11:00 AM
"Cancel my service". "No really, I want to cancel". Take it all the way to the end, saying no thanks to every offer to stay, and even schedule a cancellation date. Then you will get the best offer. If they let you cancel, then really switch to Dish. They are cheaper anyway, and that line always works on them. I have had Dish for over 7 years now and have never paid more than $90/month (usually $80 or $85) with the top package w/o any movie or sport add-on packages.

What this guy said. Cancel, cancel, cancel... They'll offer you the moon. I recently got mine down to about $40 a month for a plus package that is guaranteed for 2 years. I'll eventually cut the cord, but they gave me a reason to stick around for a bit.

KB21
04-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Since this is somewhat on topic, I'll be moving to Starkville sometime in the next few months. Who is the best internet provider?

Political Hack
04-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Transfer me to person in charge of disconnecting my service.

TimberBeast
04-12-2017, 11:34 AM

I told them I was going to cancel yesterday, the guy didn't give two shits. First time I've ever had to even mention the word cancel to get a better deal. They barely knocked anything off, the guy said he was sorry about 150 times, didn't matter. Good thing is that it keeps me out of a contract renewal or extension with them and forces my hand to get rid of them anyway so I wasn't too upset about it.

Outside Dawg
04-12-2017, 11:53 AM
I told them I was going to cancel yesterday, the guy didn't give two shits. First time I've ever had to even mention the word cancel to get a better deal. They barely knocked anything off, the guy said he was sorry about 150 times, didn't matter. Good thing is that it keeps me out of a contract renewal or extension with them and forces my hand to get rid of them anyway so I wasn't too upset about it.

Same thing with me two months ago with DTV. I was actually planning to cancel unless they blew me away. They didnt. The best offer they gave me was about $25 off, which wasn't enough. I cut the cord and it has been the best thing for us. Netflix, Amazon, WatchESPN, Antenna, and way less time watching crap that wastes the night away. I should've cut it sooner.

Plus, if you do have access to someones else's login for watchespn, etc., you can use that login to watch tv on most major cable channels. We have a firestick and most big cable channels have an app that allows for saved and live tv if you have login.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2017, 12:22 PM
They told me to go 17 myself in so many words. Offered me $40 off for a year. No deal. I will now be looking for alternate programming options.

8dawg
04-12-2017, 12:28 PM
CSpire fiber if it's offered in your neighborhood.

ElectroDawg
04-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Kodi.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2017, 12:45 PM
CSpire fiber if it's offered in your neighborhood.

It stops about a mile and a half short.

civildawg
04-12-2017, 12:49 PM
I call dish every 6 months and say I want to cancel. They transfer me to a representative and they say something like we see you've been a dish customer for 5 years. We can take 30 dollars off your bill for 6 months. I say great and i will call them back in 6 months.

Retireddirtdigger
04-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Try Exede satellite internet. We just swapped from Dish and a cellphone hotspot to Exede and Direct TV. Exede is $80/month for 150 gigs of data. The speed is decent, 8 -
10 megs download and 2 upload. The plan promises 12 megs but I've never seen that. We haven't had any problem streaming Netflix. The company (ViaSat) is supposed to launch a new satellite at the end of April with 3 times the capacity and twice the speed.

Cloak
04-12-2017, 12:54 PM
I also recommend PsVue if you have fast internet. We pay 65/month for fiber in Starkville and 25/month for PsVue. Have had no problems whatsoever, really fast internet, and have the option to record. Can't complain.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2017, 01:00 PM
I am exploring all options to see what is available where I live just outside the city limits of Starkvegas.

Here's what pissed me smooth the 17 off. I was not there trying to rip them off. I try to play fair and be nice. I basically told the rep I saw they had a deal for new customers. I've been a DTV customer for 14 of the last 16 years and those two years were because I was in an apartment and couldn't get DTV. I flat out told them I would be perfectly content to stay if they would just match that new customer deal. That's all they had to do was match a deal for a loyal customer that they were giving people that had never paid them a dime. Wouldn't even consider it. Well you know what? 17 you with a cast iron dildo.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2017, 01:02 PM
I also recommend PsVue if you have fast internet. We pay 65/month for fiber in Starkville and 25/month for PsVue. Have had no problems whatsoever, really fast internet, and have the option to record. Can't complain.

Define fast internet. All I have is what is on my phone so I will have to get internet for the house. I see all these speeds they advertise but I have no idea what I would need. It would need to run two TV's, two phones, and very rarely a tablet or laptop, but 99% of the time just two phones and two TV's.

Cloak
04-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Define fast internet. All I have is what is on my phone so I will have to get internet for the house. I see all these speeds they advertise but I have no idea what I would need. It would need to run two TV's, two phones, and very rarely a tablet or laptop, but 99% of the time just two phones and two TV's.

PsVue claims to only use 5Mbps per stream, but you'd be safer with around 10 a stream. So for two TVs streaming at the same time, with phones, I would go for around 25Mbps. You can always sign up for the PsVue free trial and test to see what works.

PMDawg
04-12-2017, 03:05 PM
I am exploring all options to see what is available where I live just outside the city limits of Starkvegas.

Here's what pissed me smooth the 17 off. I was not there trying to rip them off. I try to play fair and be nice. I basically told the rep I saw they had a deal for new customers. I've been a DTV customer for 14 of the last 16 years and those two years were because I was in an apartment and couldn't get DTV. I flat out told them I would be perfectly content to stay if they would just match that new customer deal. That's all they had to do was match a deal for a loyal customer that they were giving people that had never paid them a dime. Wouldn't even consider it. Well you know what? 17 you with a cast iron dildo.

Well, then just cancel. Go to Dish or cut the cord completely. Dish is cheaper, but cutting the cord is the future anyway. DTV is absolutely the worst there is. You won't miss them. I haven't.

fader2103
04-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Man I went to Direct about 3 months ago from ATT Uverse and I hate it. Yeah i get HBO and all that for 6 months but they said they rarely go out. BS!!! I know my wife would never for cutting the cord, and it would be hard for me to lose my Golf Channel and SEC Network

yjnkdawg
04-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Man I went to Direct about 3 months ago from ATT Uverse and I hate it. Yeah i get HBO and all that for 6 months but they said they rarely go out. BS!!! I know my wife would never for cutting the cord, and it would be hard for me to lose my Golf Channel and SEC Network

LOL I had Directv for 19 years and in January was able to get Uverse Fiber To the Home and it's great. I was afraid the picture quality wouldn't be as good, but I had to cut the brightness, sharpness and color down and make a few other tweaks. Now I think the picture clarity exceeds Directv's.

yjnkdawg
04-12-2017, 04:17 PM

I had Directv for 19 years. I was told about a year ago, by somebody that should know, that if you try to do the cancel thing to get a better subscription, with Directv, you had better have a another provider available because you would probably need one.

The best way to get the best deal, if you wanted to go back to Directv, would be to go with another provider. After I went with ATT Uverse, I think I got an offer from Directv that even beat these new custommer deals. I had gotten a really good promotion deal, and a 1 year contract, with the price good for two years, with ATT Uverse so I didn't even consider it. The Directv one was also just for one year.

TimberBeast
04-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I had Directv for 19 years. I was told about a year ago, by somebody that should know, that if you try to do the cancel thing to get a better subscription, with Directv, you had better have a another provider available because you would probably need one.

From the replies in this thread, it looks like that is the case, and an incredibly stupid way of doing business on their part. I am excited about it, can't wait to cut it and stop giving any of those terrible companies so much of my money. I had comcast for probably 15 years, uverse for 1 year, and now directtv for 1 year. Comcast is hands down the worst company I've ever dealt with in my life on any level, and it was way more expensive than uverse or directtv. Uverse was great, and not so expensive, very easy to deal with, but couldn't get it when we moved. Directtv has terrible service and the guide and entire system are awful, and the price is too much for what we were getting, but a hell of a lot better than comcast.

Thrill1
04-12-2017, 07:09 PM

Sling has SEC TV and SEC+. I was actually impressed with their sports selections. Had it for two weeks now (you can try first week for free). Still holding out for YouTube TV to hopefully launch in North MS with multiple logins. Sling announced a DVR service ($5/mo) today to combat YouTube, which will have DVR service as well. The streaming services are catching up fast with live programming and the pricing is too good to turn down.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2017, 07:52 PM
I'm strongly looking at getting home internet and cutting the cord. Here's what I just sent DTV:

You may not care but you effectively lost a customer today that has been with you for 12 of the last 14 years. The two I was not a customer were when I was in an apartment and was forced to get cable. I called today to see about lowering my bill as $132 is way more money than tv I watch. Especially when your biggest competitor is almost a 1/3 that price. Your CS rep only offered me $40 off for a year. I told her that was not good enough as that was still basically twice dish. That said, I'm not looking to rip anybody off. I saw you had a deal for new customers that offered the same package I have along with equipment for 4 rooms, HD DVR, and a few other perks like Sunday ticket and movie channels for $75/month. All I asked was that a loyal customer for over a decade be given the same offer as someone that has never paid you a penny. I was very rudely told that was for new customers only. So I'm worth less to you than a new subscriber. Fine. I'm going to pay my bill coming up due here in a few days and it will be the last dime you ever get of mine. I am actively looking at other options and will have switched before my next bill comes due. I don't think I was asking a lot, and then to be so rudely dismissed was the difference. So enjoy the last of my money you get. From here on out it will be going to a competitor while I let as many people as I can how you feel about your loyal customers.

TimberBeast
04-12-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm strongly looking at getting home internet and cutting the cord. Here's what I just sent DTV:

You may not care but you effectively lost a customer today that has been with you for 12 of the last 14 years. The two I was not a customer were when I was in an apartment and was forced to get cable. I called today to see about lowering my bill as $132 is way more money than tv I watch. Especially when your biggest competitor is almost a 1/3 that price. Your CS rep only offered me $40 off for a year. I told her that was not good enough as that was still basically twice dish. That said, I'm not looking to rip anybody off. I saw you had a deal for new customers that offered the same package I have along with equipment for 4 rooms, HD DVR, and a few other perks like Sunday ticket and movie channels for $75/month. All I asked was that a loyal customer for over a decade be given the same offer as someone that has never paid you a penny. I was very rudely told that was for new customers only. So I'm worth less to you than a new subscriber. Fine. I'm going to pay my bill coming up due here in a few days and it will be the last dime you ever get of mine. I am actively looking at other options and will have switched before my next bill comes due. I don't think I was asking a lot, and then to be so rudely dismissed was the difference. So enjoy the last of my money you get. From here on out it will be going to a competitor while I let as many people as I can how you feel about your loyal customers.

Nice let us know the response.

Mimi's Babies
04-12-2017, 08:36 PM
After 15 years with Directv -- I had had enough..... bill nearly 135.00 per month (3 boxes) no extra channels... CHARGED for SEC Network

NOW with Dish.... Bill $75.00.... SAVE the money and take the one you love to dinner.... WIN, WIN....

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2017, 06:51 AM
Nice let us know the response.

My response so far from them:

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/images/feeders/feeder-crickets-for-sale.jpg

stalkingpoon
04-13-2017, 07:16 AM
Slightly OT, but any suggestions on internet outside of city limits in Starkville? Satellite internet is data capped and so damn expensive.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2017, 07:31 AM
Slightly OT, but any suggestions on internet outside of city limits in Starkville? Satellite internet is data capped and so damn expensive.

I'm wondering the same thing. I am maybe 3 miles past the city limits at most. I would love to have c spire fiber but they don't go out as far as where I am and, like you said, Hughs net is not an option.

msudawg1200
04-13-2017, 10:28 AM
All I asked was that a loyal customer for over a decade be given the same offer as someone that has never paid you a penny. I was very rudely told that was for new customers only. So I'm worth less to you than a new subscriber. Fine. I'm going to pay my bill coming up due here in a few days and it will be the last dime you ever get of mine. I am actively looking at other options and will have switched before my next bill comes due. I don't think I was asking a lot, and then to be so rudely dismissed was the difference. So enjoy the last of my money you get. From here on out it will be going to a competitor while I let as many people as I can how you feel about your loyal customers.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me. and I've been with them almost 20 years. Rude bastard pretty much told me to go jump in a lake. Thing is I have zero leverage. Live in a very rural area with terrible internet connection. I don't want to go to Dish because they don't have MLB Extra Innings which is all I watch for 5 months.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2017, 10:37 AM
All I asked was that a loyal customer for over a decade be given the same offer as someone that has never paid you a penny. I was very rudely told that was for new customers only. So I'm worth less to you than a new subscriber. Fine. I'm going to pay my bill coming up due here in a few days and it will be the last dime you ever get of mine. I am actively looking at other options and will have switched before my next bill comes due. I don't think I was asking a lot, and then to be so rudely dismissed was the difference. So enjoy the last of my money you get. From here on out it will be going to a competitor while I let as many people as I can how you feel about your loyal customers.

Same thing happened to me. and I've been with them almost 20 years. Rude bastard pretty much told me to go jump in a lake. Thing is I have zero leverage. Live in a very rural area with terrible internet connection. I don't want to go to Dish because they don't have MLB Extra Innings which is all I watch for 5 months.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. They finally responded back on twitter and sweetened the offer some. Enough that I am going to take it so avoid having to make a rushed decision on what to change to. One thing I did was never tell them I was in a rural area. So far as they know I am in an area that offers everything.

One interesting note. Guy asked me if I was a huge Bulldog fan. Told him I was. He replied back that he had been told that a MSU football game and tailgate atmosphere is one that he should experience being a huge college football fan. Told him damn straight.

TimberBeast
04-13-2017, 11:35 AM
Same thing happened to me. and I've been with them almost 20 years. Rude bastard pretty much told me to go jump in a lake. Thing is I have zero leverage. Live in a very rural area with terrible internet connection. I don't want to go to Dish because they don't have MLB Extra Innings which is all I watch for 5 months.

I'm in the same boat. They finally responded back on twitter and sweetened the offer some. Enough that I am going to take it so avoid having to make a rushed decision on what to change to. One thing I did was never tell them I was in a rural area. So far as they know I am in an area that offers everything.

One interesting note. Guy asked me if I was a huge Bulldog fan. Told him I was. He replied back that he had been told that a MSU football game and tailgate atmosphere is one that he should experience being a huge college football fan. Told him damn straight.[/QUOTE]

Did they put you under a new contract?

smootness
04-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Just tell them you are going to switch if they don't lower your rate.

Literally this. That's all you have to do.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Did they put you under a new contract?

They put me under one for the term of my discounted period of one year. No contract after the discount wears off. To be honest, I am fine with that. I got the discount I wanted and it gives me time to explore my options with out being rushed had I dropped them now. It will also give C Spire an extra year to see if they can get fiber out to my neighborhood. Small chance, I know, but you never know. But this time I will start exploring my options a month or two before this period expires so if I want to change I already know what I want and have it lined up.

msudawg1200
04-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Literally this. That's all you have to do.

Not for me. I tried that , and the guy was like,"OK, go ahead". Then there was awkward silence.

TimberBeast
04-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Not for me. I tried that , and the guy was like,"OK, go ahead". Then there was awkward silence.

Same here, didn't work at all. The guy was ready to cancel it and get off the phone. He wasn't rude, but that wasn't going to work. Looking into PSVue now and FireTV sticks for all TVs. I think I'm going to get the trial for PSVue and get the $40 firestick and see how it works.

starkvegasdawg
04-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Same here, didn't work at all. The guy was ready to cancel it and get off the phone. He wasn't rude, but that wasn't going to work. Looking into PSVue now and FireTV sticks for all TVs. I think I'm going to get the trial for PSVue and get the $40 firestick and see how it works.

That is most likely what I will end up going with this time next year. Just really hoping between now and then internet provider options improve where I live.

Goldendawg
04-13-2017, 09:41 PM
I've pointed out my loyalty for many years and the fact that I have all services from them ( internet, three cell phones, and DirecTV). For the past two years they have sent me to their loyalty dept and given me very good discounts for a 1 year contract. I went for years paying them (AT&T) on a month to month basis with no contract, b4 I went on a one year deal last year and again this year. It often depends on who you talk to and their physical customer service location. A rep in LA, tried to stick me with some hidden charges. Rep in Ohio has allegedly made them go away, next month's bill will tell the tale. Their internet service is great in my area.

3YearsInHell
04-13-2017, 09:59 PM
If you can get good internet then you should just go ahead and make the switch to Sling or Vue. I recently switched to Sling after being with DirectTv for years and haven't looked back. Cut my bill in half and got everything I need plus more. Put up an antenna for the locals and you'll be set. When I called to cancel Directv they acted like they couldn't have given two sh*ts so it just confirmed the fact that I didn't want to give them another dime of my hard earned money.

TimberBeast
04-13-2017, 11:26 PM
From what I can tell I can get golf channel on psvue, does anyone know about something that offers tennis channel in hd? That would be something that would weigh heavily on my decision but can't find much info about it other than regular satellite and cable.

3YearsInHell
04-14-2017, 07:19 AM
From what I can tell I can get golf channel on psvue, does anyone know about something that offers tennis channel in hd? That would be something that would weigh heavily on my decision but can't find much info about it other than regular satellite and cable.

You could always just add the Tennis channel seperate if you had something like a Roku or Firestick. You'd be looking at an additional $7 to $8 a month though: http://www.tennischanneleverywhere.com/channel/tennis-channel-plus

FleaFlicker
04-14-2017, 05:12 PM
I just switched from Direct to AT&T fiber U-verse in the Rez area. When I called to cancel Direct the sales rep said she saw I was a customer for over 10 years and asked if she could give me my same package for $65/month would I stay. I was paying $136 for the Choice Package, no premium channels. I'm now paying $132/mo for more channels, faster internet and home phone. When I told her what I was getting along with the price she said, "Well, we can't beat that". If these greedy bastards would just offer a decent price people wouldn't shop around so much.

biodawg2014
04-15-2017, 08:33 PM
That is most likely what I will end up going with this time next year. Just really hoping between now and then internet provider options improve where I live.

It sounds like you're out of the reach of cable internet as well?

I had cable one. Was paying about $65 / month for tv. Cut it off. Bought a fire stick and a fire tv box. Purchased a $25 leaf antenna for local HD channels (for NFL games). Have Netflix and SlingTV so pay about $30 / month for that. Have no issues streaming it on cable internet. The sling package I have has SEC network as well as access to watch espn. Allows me to watch all of the bulldog baseball games that are on SEC network plus. I have no intention of going back to cable or looking at Dish / Direct TV. This setup has worked great for me.

TUSK
04-16-2017, 10:49 AM

I posted this about 4 months ago... Hope it helps...

Others on here helped me earlier this year and will be better to help than I. (I got Sling (w ESPN) $35... Netflix $7... Internet is ~$60...)

But I will tell you how to be "armed". Come from a position of "fvck you". This actually happened:

DirectTV: Direct TV, this is Steve, may I help you?
Tusk: Steve, I would like to cancel DTV. Would you send me some prepaid boxes so that I may return your equipment?
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, we would be happy to reapply your discounts to lower your rate, as your are a valued customer.
Tusk: Steve, I would like to cancel DTV. Would you send me some prepaid boxes so that I may return your equipment?
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, I'll come over and mow your lawn if you'll stay with DTV.*
Tusk: Steve, I want to cancel.
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, you have a contract with us and it will cost you $200 to cancel. You have a contract.
Tusk: Yeah, and you broke your own contract by raising my rates, and I'm not gonna pay it.
DirectTV: But, we'll sue you, and you'll have to go to court.
Tusk: I'm not gonna pay it. Are you going to come to my house to collect this money, Steve? Are you going to come and take me to court?
(Steve seems like a cool guy just trying to do his job, and he's on to me, now)
DirectTV: No sir.
Tusk: Ok. So, we agree that you aren't coming to my house and that I'm not giving you any more money. Do you like options, in life, Steve?
DirectTV: Yes sir.
Tusk: Well, Steve, here are your options: You can A) Send me prepaid boxes with which to return your equipment or B) I am going to take my 47 HP 4WD tractor, dig a hole in my pasture, bury it, and compact the soil back on top of it.
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, I choose Option A; the boxes will go in the mail today.
Tusk: Thanks for your time, Steve. Have a great day.
DirectTV: Good Bye, Mr. Tusk.

bdfan09
04-18-2017, 01:11 PM
I was reading this thread last week, and it made me decide to call and bitch about my own bill since it had been steadily increasing over the last few months. I also purchased a 4k receiver back in August that hasn't worked right since installing the damn thing. They wanted to charge me more money to swap the receiver out for what I had previously...called it an "upgrade" even though I was actually downgrading equipment.

Anyway, long story short, I called yesterday and cancelled my service. They were to turn it off at the end of the this billing cycle. I got a call this morning begging me to stay. My bill is going from $168.xx to $88.xx for the next 12 months, and they are sending a tech to my house to swap my 4k receiver with a standard HD receiver.

Thought I would pass it along for you guys hesitant about threatening them to leave. I was ready to pull the plug anyway, because I watch Kodi more than anything these days.

Hope this helps.