PDA

View Full Version : Soooooooo..... we played Stovall at SS

lamont
04-11-2017, 10:12 PM
so he can play it Bama weekend cause Gridley will miss a game. Hevesy7 and Smootness say Belmont is our only SS. Interesting.....

msstate7
04-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Huh? I said Belmont is our best defensive SS. I still believe it too. I never said he was our only SS. Troll on though...

confucius say
04-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Why will gridley miss a game?

msstate7
04-11-2017, 10:17 PM
You know what that really says don't you random? Cann sees Luke as our only real 3b option

Big4Dawg
04-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Per Paul: As you may have noticed, Gridley played second tonight and Stovall switched over to shortstop. They did that to give Stovall experience at shortstop because Gridley said he has to be in his sister's wedding in two weekends when MSU hosts Alabama at Dudy Noble Field.

Are. You. ****ing. Kidding.

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Per Paul: As you may have noticed, Gridley played second tonight and Stovall switched over to shortstop. They did that to give Stovall experience at shortstop because Gridley said he has to be in his sister's wedding in two weekends when MSU hosts Alabama at Dudy Noble Field.

If true. That's unacceptable. Pretty pathetic by the sister as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2017, 10:37 PM

Lol so the kid misses 1 game this season & the sister is pathetic? You guys should step back into reality & the real world sometimes.

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Lol so the kid misses 1 game this season & the sister is pathetic? You guys should step back into reality & the real world sometimes.

I hear Nick Fitzgerald is missing the LSU game this year for his sister's wedding

msstate7
04-11-2017, 10:45 PM
I hear Nick Fitzgerald is missing the LSU game this year for his sister's wedding

I bet he gets wasted at it**

Coldsleeve Jr.
04-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Couldn't this be resolved if he just disowned his sister?**

msstate7
04-11-2017, 10:48 PM
Couldn't this be resolved if he just disowned his sister?**

Does he not have FaceTime?**

Todd4State
04-11-2017, 10:50 PM

My impression was that it would be the entire series. I could be wrong though.

HoopsDawg
04-11-2017, 10:51 PM

Pathetic might be too much but it's pretty bad. I can't remember this happening before.

Johnson85

If she's not pregnant and trying to get married before she is showing, then it's more than a little shitty. How long is thconference schedule plus post season? She couldn't pick a weekend in the other three quarters of the year?

Ifyouonlyknew

Yea because 1 game out of 12 & 1 game out of 50+ is exactly the same.

msstate7
04-11-2017, 10:52 PM

Ouch.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2017, 10:53 PM

It's just 1 game.

Todd4State
04-11-2017, 10:54 PM
This makes sense to me if Gridley is out. I think if Bragg was better defensively at third base we would move LA over. But he's not so I suspect what Cann will do is play Stovall at SS, move Cody Brown to second base and then we can use MacNamee, Poole, and Vansau in the outfield unless Mangum is back by that time. We also have Blaylock. We DH Bragg.

msstate7
04-11-2017, 10:57 PM
So next Saturday we could very well be without gridley and mangum. Really hope that isn't a rubber game

Todd4State
04-11-2017, 10:58 PM
If she's not pregnant and trying to get married before she is showing, then it's more than a little shitty. How long is thconference schedule plus post season? She couldn't pick a weekend in the other three quarters of the year?

Really the schedule doesn't even have to be out. If you play baseball in the SEC you know you're going to have a game every weekend in April regardless. It's going to be that way as long as SEC baseball exists.

The schedule runs from early-mid February to the last week in June if you make the Finals in Omaha.

Todd4State
04-11-2017, 10:59 PM
So next Saturday we could very well be without gridley and mangum. Really hope that isn't a rubber game

Shit like this always seems to happen when we play Alabama in baseball for some reason. It's kind of weird.

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Yea because 1 game out of 12 & 1 game out of 50+ is exactly the same.

Big difference between 1 of 10 conference weekends and mid week games. It's the point of the issue. The effect is likely minimal. Doesn't make it right.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2017, 11:09 PM
Big difference between 1 of 10 conference weekends and mid week games. It's the point of the issue. The effect is likely minimal. Doesn't make it right.

Ok 1 out of 12 vs 1 out of 30. Is it an inconvenience yes but the overreaction is laughable. He's missing 2% of the season. 3.3% of the conference schedule. It's not a major issue.

ScottH
04-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Ok 1 out of 12 vs 1 out of 30. Is it an inconvenience yes but the overreaction is laughable. He's missing 2% of the season. 3.3% of the conference schedule. It's not a major issue.

Your math is correct.

However, since we are pieced together with bubblegum and duct tape, there is a good chance we will end up needing every win we can get.

Need all of our bullets every SEC game.

Roy Munson
04-11-2017, 11:22 PM

It's an asshole thing to do for a buddy to schedule a wedding during football season on a home weekend, and I don't play football. It's even more of an asshole thing to do for a family member to schedule a wedding on a damn weekend that their brother plays an sec weekend series. I'm sure there is more to this but damn. That's just bad form. There are literally 30 or so Saturday's that could have been chosen instead.

Hell we give each other shit for having a baby during football season.

GTHOM
04-11-2017, 11:27 PM

Wow only MSU

Forrest4Moore
04-11-2017, 11:33 PM
People are really going to be pissed if we make a Super Regional. Mangum is supposed to be a best man in a wedding that weekend. I somehow doubt he would miss a super regional game for it. But he is a groomsman for a wedding that is scheduled that weekend. How people don't look at calendars when scheduling these is beyond me.

Todd4State
04-12-2017, 12:25 AM
People are really going to be pissed if we make a Super Regional. Mangum is supposed to be a best man in a wedding that weekend. I somehow doubt he would miss a super regional game for it. But he is a groomsman for a wedding that is scheduled that weekend. How people don't look at calendars when scheduling these is beyond me.

Do people ever say- hey, sorry I really can't make it ever? I'm actually being serious because ever wedding I've ever been in everyone has to make it like they're going to get killed if they don't. I honestly don't remember anyone ever standing in for a wedding or anything like that as far as groomsmen go.

AROB44
04-12-2017, 05:17 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ifyouonlyknew again.

lamont
04-12-2017, 05:52 AM
I would have told my sister good luck to you guys and been batting 3rd as usual that day. But I realize I'm not like most people

GTHOM
04-12-2017, 06:32 AM
I would have told my sister good luck to you guys and been batting 3rd as usual that day. But I realize I'm not like most people

Oh no I would have said the same thing. You just dont do stuff like that at this level. This isnt tee ball

civildawg
04-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Jesus you guys are crazy. There are some more important things in life than sports. It's one freaking game. If we win anyway, what does it matter?

MafiaDawg
04-12-2017, 07:03 AM
That chick must be something else to schedule a wedding during baseball season. No one is saying baseball is the most important thing in the world but it still doesn't make it not ridiculous.

msstate7
04-12-2017, 07:05 AM
Jesus you guys are crazy. There are some more important things in life than sports. It's one freaking game. If we win anyway, what does it matter?

First off, I have no problem with gridley going to his sister's wedding. I can see why some are mad though... we're tied with a group of teams for 1st in the sec; one game can end up being a huge deal

msstate7
04-12-2017, 07:07 AM

Haha... Johnson done started a small town scandal

Political Hack
04-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Baseball schedules aren't realeased as early as football schedules. Hard to plan around that, but generally I agree about not scheduling major stuff during the season.

BrunswickDawg
04-12-2017, 07:45 AM

You aren't the only one. I left a wedding before "I do" to make kick off for the Peach Bowl against NC State. I was only going from Buckhead to the GA Dome, but I wasn't missing kickoff.

LC Dawg
04-12-2017, 07:56 AM
Baseball schedules aren't realeased as early as football schedules. Hard to plan around that, but generally I agree about not scheduling major stuff during the season.

Yeah, so in theory this actually could have been worse. Assuming the wedding is in Georgia since Gridley is from there he could have had to gone to Georgia for a Saturday wedding and had to be back for a 1:00 Sunday game if it ended up being a F-S-S series. At least now it's the 3rd game.
I've seen a lot of sisters dragged all over the country to watch their brothers play baseball as kids - maybe this is one of them's way at getting back at them. Ha.

Coackjek
04-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Everyone else seems to be making assumptions so I will as well. Does it suck? Yes. Does it make it right? Yes and no. But maybe she is marrying a military man and he's getting stationed our deployed at the end of the month. I've seen it happen a lot.

louisvilledawg
04-12-2017, 08:22 AM

Unacceptable and also pathetic by the sister? You need to take a few days off from elitedawgs and check back into reality my man. There are a lot more important things in life than one baseball game against alabama.

Good for Gridley. No way in hell i would miss my sister's wedding because of a regular season game.

This was one of the most ridiculous posts i've seen on this board. You're such a tool.

Ari Gold
04-12-2017, 08:30 AM
I blame the Dad... Put your big boy pants on and tell the princess she can have her day at a later date.. I doubt a few More weeks will make that big a difference.

Cooterpoot
04-12-2017, 08:30 AM
To hell with these pre-divorce parties people call weddings. It's 17ing baseball season!

MafiaDawg
04-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Unacceptable and also pathetic by the sister? You need to take a few days off from elitedawgs and check back into reality my man. There are a lot more important things in life than one baseball game against alabama.

Good for Gridley. No way in hell i would miss my sister's wedding because of a regular season game.

This was one of the most ridiculous posts i've seen on this board. You're such a tool.

Not a football guy

smootness
04-12-2017, 08:38 AM
so he can play it Bama weekend cause Gridley will miss a game. Hevesy7 and Smootness say Belmont is our only SS. Interesting.....

The heck? We said he was our best defensive option there. Problem is, he's also our best defensive option at 3B. He will clearly be in the lineup, Stovall isn't replacing him. So what are you talking about?

MadDawg
04-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Missing a game to go to your sister's wedding is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

Missing games because you missed curfew, skipped too many classes or decided to punch out the dugout wall - it's all cool mane!!!

Priorities!

smootness
04-12-2017, 08:39 AM
As for the wedding, it's not a huge deal and he should be there. But it is poor planning by his sister.

HSVDawg
04-12-2017, 08:40 AM

I think its an even bigger tell-tale sign that we have literally no one else that can play 3B other than Alexander. If Stovall could do it, we move him over there and move LA to short.

KentuckyDawg
04-12-2017, 09:04 AM

My wedding is Super Regional weekend in 2018... It was either May 2018 - definitely interferes with games, or June 2018 - *might not* interfere with games. For those that know me, you know I'm passionate about the Dawgs (dad was S&C coach under Croom, cousin is a current superstar, etc.) but when you're fianc? wants a May/June wedding, you kinda have no choice but to go along. If it just so happens they are playing in a SR (AND Jake is still in school @ State) then I will force him to play in the SR if I have to.

Just wanted to clear the air before I get murdered on the internet.

confucius say
04-12-2017, 09:24 AM
My wedding is Super Regional weekend in 2018... It was either May 2018 - definitely interferes with games, or June 2018 - *might not* interfere with games. For those that know me, you know I'm passionate about the Dawgs (dad was S&C coach under Croom, cousin is a current superstar, etc.) but when you're fianc? wants a May/June wedding, you kinda have no choice but to go along. If it just so happens they are playing in a SR (AND Jake is still in school @ State) then I will force him to play in the SR if I have to.

Just wanted to clear the air before I get murdered on the internet.

So Mangum is your cousin?

As for gridley, his future brother in law must not be a state baseball fan

smootness
04-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Pretty sure it wasn't the groom setting the wedding date.

maroonmania
04-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Yea, I mean at least we aren't in a chase for an SEC title or anything.***

smootness
04-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Yea, I mean at least we aren't in a chase for an SEC title or anything.***

Eh, we won't win that. Check out Arkansas' schedule.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Someone on Sixpack said Gridley's sister is graduating med school and has to move West for residency in June. Hence the wedding having to be done during baseball season.

maroonmania
04-12-2017, 09:40 AM

Agree, the issue is 1 of 30 games, not 50+. Those other games aren't going to impact whether you win an SEC title or not. Life goes on, but you would have thought either the sister would have planned the wedding outside of baseball season or excused her brother from being there. Probably more of an issue just because at least this year, you would have to put Gridley in the top 3 players on the current roster along with Rooker and Mangum. If it was anyone other than one of those 3 or maybe Cody Brown then it really wouldn't matter much.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Someone on Sixpack said Gridley's sister is graduating med school and has to move West for residency in June. Hence the wedding having to be done during baseball season.

Correct Paul posted she was in her last semester of medical school & is moving to Seattle in June for her residency. This was the only time the 2 could get married. Not that she owed anyone an explanation.

starkvegasdawg
04-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Correct Paul posted she was in her last semester of medical school & is moving to Seattle in June for her residency. This was the only time the 2 could get married. Not that she owed anyone an explanation.

Hasn't she heard of eloping to Vegas to get married by Elvis?

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-12-2017, 10:21 AM
At Mississippi State we're family. Family that would not attend your wedding.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Not that she owed anyone an explanation.
Oh I agree she didn't, it's embarrassing that people on here automatically start calling her an inconsiderate asshole though.

lamont
04-12-2017, 10:52 AM
The heck? We said he was our best defensive option there. Problem is, he's also our best defensive option at 3B. He will clearly be in the lineup, Stovall isn't replacing him. So what are you talking about?

If he was our best defensive option there- he would be there. If Stovall can play 2B and SS, he can damn sure play 3B

It's obvious Cann believes our 2nd best option with Grid out is Stovall at SS and Cody at 2B

PMDawg
04-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Yeah really. This is baseball. Real life always takes precedence. Especially when it's family. Get a grip man.

PMDawg
04-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Thank God!!! LOL - j/k....sort of....

pigsyox
04-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Wow, some folks have some pretty whacked out priorities. Young man wants to be part of a huge day for his family, and the family gets skewered, including the sister and Dad? C'mon.

Grids will be a key part of the late season run. He's played every inning so far, so missing this one game may be a great break.

LC Dawg
04-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Maybe the sister read Elitedawgs early in the season and decided the Alabama series would be meaningless.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-12-2017, 11:17 AM

Are. You. ****ing. Kidding.This has to be a joke..WTF??

KentuckyDawg
04-12-2017, 11:17 AM
So Mangum is your cousin?

Correct... some might say I played a big part in getting him to State as I was a student while he was being recruited *pats self on back*

Johnson85
04-12-2017, 11:54 AM

There are a lot more important things than having the "perfect" wedding weekend. A marriage is extremely important. The spiritual part of the wedding ceremony is important. The "party" that she is asking her brother to miss a game for is not that important. Maybe there's a legitimate excuse for why she has to get married on an SSEC baseball weekend and not one of the other 30 weekends throughout the year. Shotgun wedding and getting married before deployment are two good reasons and Im' sure there are many others (such as having a ceremony while a terminally ill relative is still healthy or at least able to come).

But if there's not a reason like that, it's just shitty to not give a little consideration to the people you expect to come. If you know a particular date will screw over a direct relative that you want to come, why would you intentionally schedule it then, except that you are being an inconsiderate ass hole? The vast majority of college players aren't going to get to play pro ball, and it's ridiculous to mess up one of their conference games without a reason that's better than, I'm not worried about inconveniencing others because it's my wedding day and I'm a princess. No clue whether that's the case here, but if it is, that's shitty.

Johnson85
04-12-2017, 11:56 AM

You may have found the single way that you are like most other people; or at least most people that play competitive college sports. I would guess that for most college athletes, if the person doesn't care enough about them to schedule around their games, they aren't going to care enough to go.

maroonmania
04-12-2017, 11:56 AM
All in all, I guess I don't really have a problem with him missing one game for an important event. Not that my opinion matters anyway. But I would certainly rather have a player missing a game because of a wedding than one that is missing games because he was idiotic enough to punch a concrete wall.

smootness
04-12-2017, 12:16 PM
If he was our best defensive option there- he would be there. If Stovall can play 2B and SS, he can damn sure play 3B

It's obvious Cann believes our 2nd best option with Grid out is Stovall at SS and Cody at 2B

He is our best defensive option at every infield spot. It just so happens the fall off from him at 3B is bigger than at the other positions.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Some people really look dumb after finding out the facts. Yes we are all passionate about our team. But this is a very special event for his family and life trumps a game or two.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Correct... some might say I played a big part in getting him to State as I was a student while he was being recruited *pats self on back*

But mangum is a different story.. Someone shot this guy. He ain't allowed to miss anything for any reason....

HSVDawg
04-12-2017, 12:38 PM
He is our best defensive option at every infield spot. It just so happens the fall off from him at 3B is bigger than at the other positions.

Exactly. 3B and shortstop are completely different animals. 3B requires the fastest reaction time of any infield position for a majority of hitters (RH). It's not like anyone who can play SS can just automatically play 3B (although for some elite infielders it is not a difficult transition). And based on Stovall short arming those throws last night I would say that its easy to see why he hasn't been tried on the left side of the infield before now.

The Federalist Engineer
04-12-2017, 12:38 PM
From the content of this thread, I have gathered that the Gridley family has raised fine kids. Great students, Good ball players, Future doctors, Supportive siblings, with Family orientation.

It’s cool that Cannizarro is ok with his 4.0 GPA starting Short Stop, who probably has little to no athletic scholarship, attending an event that is very important to his family.

Bottom line, somebody must step-up and take his place. The great Cody Brown will probably take an IF spot with Stovall at SS.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-12-2017, 01:15 PM
I remember a day where if this happened the coach would suspend you OR make you run until you threw up. Unless it was a death in the family, OR you were so sick you couldnt walk, you had to play the game.

DogDaddy
04-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Just when I thought the lunacy of these posts couldn't get any more ignorant.....

Ryan is a Bulldog baseball player for another year max....he's a brother for the rest of his life. Those of you that think one single baseball game is more important than family should take a deep breath. Kudos to Ryan for having his priorities in order. Knowing the kind of kid he is, it doesn't surprise me a bit. Good grief.

CarolinaDawgs
04-12-2017, 01:33 PM

WHAT A 17n LOSER

smootness
04-12-2017, 01:38 PM
I remember a day where if this happened the coach would suspend you OR make you run until you threw up. Unless it was a death in the family, OR you were so sick you couldnt walk, you had to play the game.

Good thing things have improved since then.

Johnson85
04-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Just when I thought the lunacy of these posts couldn't get any more ignorant.....

Ryan is a Bulldog baseball player for another year max....he's a brother for the rest of his life. Those of you that think one single baseball game is more important than family should take a deep breath. Kudos to Ryan for having his priorities in order. Knowing the kind of kid he is, it doesn't surprise me a bit. Good grief.

Nobody is criticizing the player for skipping a game to go to the wedding. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. People are maybe criticizing the sister, depending on why the wedding is scheduled for an SEC baseball weekend.

ETA: I see somebody posted the reason now. So once it can be confirmed why December through March were not feasible, they're not even criticizing the sister.**

louisvilledawg
04-12-2017, 02:26 PM
There are a lot more important things than having the "perfect" wedding weekend. A marriage is extremely important. The spiritual part of the wedding ceremony is important. The "party" that she is asking her brother to miss a game for is not that important. Maybe there's a legitimate excuse for why she has to get married on an SSEC baseball weekend and not one of the other 30 weekends throughout the year. Shotgun wedding and getting married before deployment are two good reasons and Im' sure there are many others (such as having a ceremony while a terminally ill relative is still healthy or at least able to come).

But if there's not a reason like that, it's just shitty to not give a little consideration to the people you expect to come. If you know a particular date will screw over a direct relative that you want to come, why would you intentionally schedule it then, except that you are being an inconsiderate ass hole? The vast majority of college players aren't going to get to play pro ball, and it's ridiculous to mess up one of their conference games without a reason that's better than, I'm not worried about inconveniencing others because it's my wedding day and I'm a princess. No clue whether that's the case here, but if it is, that's shitty.

Think it's been stated that the sister had to choose the wedding date because she graduates from medical school soon and is moving way out West for residency.

maroonmania
04-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Think it's been stated that the sister had to choose the wedding date because she graduates from medical school soon and is moving way out West for residency.

Well, we should at least give the sister credit for picking the Alabama series. Looks like at this point that Alabama is probably the weakest SEC baseball team this year. If we are going to beat an SEC team without Gridley at SS then AL is likely our best shot.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Good thing things have improved since then.

wtf ever. That generation is wayyyy ahead of this "participating trophy" generation....Now get the hell off my lawn!!!!**

msstate7
04-12-2017, 03:10 PM
This thread got me thinking... what are acceptable reasons to miss a game and should our athletic department have a policy on this?

MadisonDawg
04-12-2017, 03:24 PM
WHAT A 17n LOSER

He is the reason that Jake is at MSU rather than Bama. It was in an article Bob wrote a while back, but keep calling people 17n losers if it makes you feel better about yourself.

CarolinaDawgs
04-12-2017, 03:29 PM
He is the reason that Jake is at MSU rather than Bama. It was in an article Bob wrote a while back, but keep calling people 17n losers if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Gee thanks!!! I didnt know that. It would be a real shame if I knew KentuckyDawg personally and was intentionally messing with him. That would probably really ruin your fun on here.

UPDATE: I feel so much better about myself.

MadisonDawg
04-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Gee thanks!!! I didnt know that. It would be a real shame if I knew KentuckyDawg personally and was intentionally messing with him. That would probably really ruin your fun on here.

UPDATE: I feel so much better about myself.

DHarp

smootness
04-12-2017, 03:54 PM
wtf ever. That generation is wayyyy ahead of this "participating trophy" generation....Now get the hell off my lawn!!!!**

Just like that generation wasn't as good as the one before it, which wasn't as good as the one before it, which wasn't as good as the one before it, and on and on. Every generation says the same thing about the ones that come after it.

rtdawg
04-12-2017, 04:27 PM

My brother tried to schedule his wedding during the Spring of '97. I told him no way in hell I am missing one game of my junior season at State. Figure out another time before or after the season or I'm not gonna be there. He moved it to July like a good sibling should have. Dick move by the sister if you ask me.....

Jarius
04-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Wow. Our shortstop is going to miss a conference game for a wedding? That is absolutely unbelievable.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-12-2017, 06:12 PM
My brother tried to schedule his wedding during the Spring of '97. I told him no way in hell I am missing one game of my junior season at State. Figure out another time before or after the season or I'm not gonna be there. He moved it to July like a good sibling should have. Dick move by the sister if you ask me.....

Well obviously Gridley thinks more of him & his sisters relationship than you & your brother. Just a question was your brother getting ready to head clear across the country & start a medical residency where he wasn't going to be able to pick & choose another wedding date freely?

msbulldog
04-12-2017, 06:20 PM
I know this is not exactly to the subject, but back in the early '70's, I had a frat brother get married, his fiance was not a State student and she resented the fraternity, because she felt the frat had taken her boyfriend and made him wild (could've been). So she scheduled their wedding on the day of the Ole Miss game at the exact time of the opening kickoff (so none of us would show up). To her surprise, every fraternity brother showed up and each had a transistor radio in our pocket with a earphone in our ears (even the groomsman). Yes, we drank up all the liquor at the reception.

Jarius
04-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Well obviously Gridley thinks more of him & his sisters relationship than you & your brother. Just a question was your brother getting ready to head clear across the country & start a medical residency where he wasn't going to be able to pick & choose another wedding date freely?

I don't know about his Family situation, but my sister would absolutely understand that missing a conference SEC baseball game for her wedding wouldn't be acceptable (and we are very close). She would care enough about me to make the decision for me and not make me put my team in this situation, because she is a reasonable human being.

Todd4State
04-12-2017, 07:36 PM
I'll say this about the wedding and I'm not going to say who is right and who is wrong but knowing all of the information my two cents is this:

One thing my Dad told me about baseball when I was a child was the higher you go and the further you go in baseball, the more serious it becomes.

Just because you go on a residency it doesn't mean that they can't get days/time off to do things. I've been in health care for about 15 years now and have been in teaching hospitals for 13 of those years now. I've known a lot of residents over the years from work. Some of them got married while they were on their residency on their time off. A residency while it does involve training as a MD it also is a job. They get paid (significantly less than a regular MD of course). They get days off just like anyone else that works in the hospital.

Now that said, I obviously understand that weddings and getting married are very big deals.

This is the Gridley family's deal and if they want to do it this way for whatever reason that's fine and it is what it is. At the same time I think the truth is it probably could have been at a different time- but like I said it isn't and it's their families deal. It's going to get spun like it was totally unavoidable and all of that but that's pretty unlikely if we're all being honest here. At any rate, Cann approved it and for all we know Cann may make Gridley do something extra to make up for it that we don't see.

I see a lot of people that don't seem to understand why some posters think that Gridley skipping out is bogus. Refer to the quote by my Dad. Personally, I don't think that they are wrong to feel that way. SEC baseball is probably distant second only to MLB as far as being the most watched and invested in baseball league in America. You'll see more SEC baseball games than you will AAA baseball games televised. Once you get to this level of baseball in the SEC you all of a sudden are going to find a lot of fans that care. When you sign up for SEC baseball, you sign up with the scrutiny that goes along with it- right or wrong. And because fans care they expect the players that are healthy to be there and play. And I'll be honest a player skipping a game to be in a wedding sounds like something you would hear about in high school ball. And if a player and a family in college baseball was adamant that the player needed to be at a wedding, I would probably make the player do something reasonable on the side to make up for it- like spend an extra day coaching kids at the MSU baseball camp or something like that.

I seen it dawg
04-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Tough shit it's happening. All will live. ****ing get over it.

lamont
04-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Exactly. 3B and shortstop are completely different animals. 3B requires the fastest reaction time of any infield position for a majority of hitters (RH). It's not like anyone who can play SS can just automatically play 3B (although for some elite infielders it is not a difficult transition). And based on Stovall short arming those throws last night I would say that its easy to see why he hasn't been tried on the left side of the infield before now.

No. No again. And a 3rd time No

If Belmont was a SS option- the coach would ****ing play him at SS. Yet no move he makes puts Belmont at SS. That means- he isnt a SS

HSVDawg
04-12-2017, 09:42 PM
No. No again. And a 3rd time No

If Belmont was a SS option- the coach would ****ing play him at SS. Yet no move he makes puts Belmont at SS. That means- he isnt a SS

It also means Stovall isn't a third baseman by the very same logic. He hasn't played a game there this year, has he? Not even when it was way early on and we were trying different people in different positions all over the place.

lamont
04-12-2017, 09:48 PM
It also means Stovall isn't a third baseman by the very same logic. He hasn't played a game there this year, has he? Not even when it was way early on and we were trying different people in different positions all over the place.

If you have the arm to play SS- you more than have the arm to play 3B. Your best 2 IF's always play SS-2B. It's pretty obvious at this point

HSVDawg
04-12-2017, 10:04 PM
If you have the arm to play SS- you more than have the arm to play 3B. Your best 2 IF's always play SS-2B. It's pretty obvious at this point

The arm isn't the issue. It's the reaction time.

Here are some numbers for you. Alexander has started 31 of 35 games at 3B, and finished another there when he moved over from 2B. Dustin Skelton (a freaking back-up catcher) started two games there (again, with LA starting at 2B). Harrison Bragg and Cody Brown each started a game at 3B, and Bragg finished another game over there that LA started.

In summary, we have tried a back-up catcher, a converted outfielder, and a DH type with no current position at 3B, and we have not so much as given Stovall a single inning over there.

It's really not about what you think (or me either for that matter). Cannizaro doesn't think Stovall can play 3B, and the proof is right there in the box scores. I don't know what else to tell you.

lamont
04-12-2017, 10:08 PM
The proof is there fo sho- Cann has no intention to play Belmont at SS

msstate7
04-12-2017, 10:10 PM

And he has no intention of playing Stovall at 3b

WSOPdawg
04-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Damn, of all the threads to go 6+ pages long...

HSVDawg
04-12-2017, 10:25 PM

Cool. I never argued that he did.

smootness
04-12-2017, 10:29 PM

The proof is there - Cann has no intention of sitting Alexander.

If you can't see that Alexander is our best defensive option at any infield spot, then you're just clueless.

Forrest4Moore
04-12-2017, 11:56 PM
The proof is there - Cann has no intention of sitting Alexander.

If you can't see that Alexander is our best defensive option at any infield spot, then you're just clueless.

This is the truth. Alexander is the best SS on the team. But he is far and away the best 3B on the team. So we have to play him there.

RAYn_Man
04-13-2017, 07:19 AM
This thread makes me a little sick to my stomach. The fact of the matter is, Gridley did not want to miss the game, but Cann is making him go to the wedding. Because, you know, your sister only gets married once (hopefully), yet Gridley will play thousands of baseball games. Glad that our coach is in touch with reality.

DogDaddy
04-13-2017, 08:02 AM
This thread makes me a little sick to my stomach. The fact of the matter is, Gridley did not want to miss the game, but Cann is making him go to the wedding. Because, you know, your sister only gets married once (hopefully), yet Gridley will play thousands of baseball games. Glad that our coach is in touch with reality.

YES! Exactly correct.

Backwoodsdawg
04-13-2017, 08:12 AM
This thread is the shit show of all threads!! People arguing about a players sister, arguing about what player is the best at what spot? Some of you fools need to get a life. Maybe go cut the grass or maybe go down to your local drinking hole and tell your non-friends some of the stupid shit your putting on here maybe they will think you know what your talking about cause I and most people on here know you are clueless! Hailstate lets go win the series against South Carolina.

lamont
04-13-2017, 10:26 AM
This is the truth. Alexander is the best SS on the team. But he is far and away the best 3B on the team. So we have to play him there.

So we don't mind playing a lesser player at SS- the most important position on the field? Instead of lesser player at 3B?

Got to admire the Belmont Fan Club- you guys are All-In. He'll be considered our best WR and Point Guard before too long- even though he doesn't play those either

smootness
04-13-2017, 10:55 AM
So we don't mind playing a lesser player at SS- the most important position on the field? Instead of lesser player at 3B?

Got to admire the Belmont Fan Club- you guys are All-In. He'll be considered our best WR and Point Guard before too long- even though he doesn't play those either

If the drop-off from Alexander to Stovall at SS is something like 5 defensive runs saved, and the drop-off from Alexander to Stovall at 3B is something like 10 defensive runs saved, then yes, we don't mind playing a lesser player at SS. Because despite it being 'the most important position on the field,' we are better off with Alexander at 3B and Stovall at SS.

Again, it is pretty obvious Alexander is our best defensive option at SS. You're the one who seems so intent on trying to use every little thing as proof that you're right.

The only thing I ever said about Alexander is that he was our best defensive option at SS and 3B and that he needed to be in the lineup. Despite his offensive struggles, Cann has refused to ever take him out of the lineup. So what does that tell you?

Mjoelner34
04-13-2017, 10:57 AM
He'll be considered our best WR and Point Guard before too long- even though he doesn't play those either

I wonder if he can kick?**

lamont
04-13-2017, 11:09 AM
I wonder if he can kick?**

No kidding. He's so damn good at SS- we're gonna play the 3rd string guy instead of him at the most important position on the field other than catcher

tcdog70
04-13-2017, 11:25 AM
No kidding. He's so damn good at SS- we're gonna play the 3rd string guy instead of him at the most important position on the field other than catcher

Well I think Stovall is our best Catcher. And we should play Him there.

HSVDawg
04-13-2017, 11:56 AM

I think its a unanimous consensus that Alexander has to be on the field somewhere every game. We only have 3 guys that can reliably play the middle infield positions and third base and Alexander is one of those. That's not a fan club mentality, that is reality. I don't know why you are trying to convince us otherwise. You need to call Cannizaro if you feel that strongly about it. Its his actions that speak loud and clear about which players need to be out there every day. And there is a good chance LA and Rooker will be the only players to start every game for us this season (barring injury).

Forrest4Moore
04-13-2017, 12:40 PM

How can you not comprehend this? Alexander is Plus Plus at both SS and 3B. Probably a 75 at both on a scouting scale. Gridley and Stovall are a Plus at SS (60) and an average at 3B (50).

We are a better team with a Plus at SS and 2B and a Plus Plus at 3B than simply a Plus Plus at SS and an average to below average at 3B.

Cohen and Cannizzaro along with every scout on the planet agrees with this. As do Gridley and Stovall, and the rest of the team.

If Austin Riley made it to campus then Alexander would be at SS, Gridley at 2B, and Stovall either C or in the outfield.

To assist your comprehension, just like Rooker is far and away the best cleanup hitter on the team in any sense of historical baseball batting lineups. But for us... for our current team this season... right now... he is more valuable as a two-hole hitter. Like Alexander is more valuable as a 3B.

lamont
04-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Gridley has been, is, and will be our SS because he is the best one we have. We were never going to play Belmont at SS ahead of him- no matter who made it to campus. Thats what you guys dont seem to comprehend.

Forrest4Moore
04-14-2017, 02:25 AM
Gridley has been, is, and will be our SS because he is the best one we have. We were never going to play Belmont at SS ahead of him- no matter who made it to campus. Thats what you guys dont seem to comprehend.

Lol. You are clueless. Thanks for confirming as much.