PDA

View Full Version : MSU Gives Garrison a Full Release

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Garrison free to go wherever he wants.

http://hailstate.com/news/2017/4/11/mens-basketball-msu-grants-brooks-full-release-from-nli.aspx

Irondawg
04-11-2017, 03:14 PM
what the....????

Irondawg
04-11-2017, 03:15 PM
well maybe we'll find a way to payback Auburn for Cam....if they have been having improper contact they'll follow through with something and maybe we can get them nailed for it.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2017, 03:19 PM
well maybe we'll find a way to payback Auburn for Cam....if they have been having improper contact they'll follow through with something and maybe we can get them nailed for it.

I don't expect him at Auburn but we'll see.

MarketingBully
04-11-2017, 03:19 PM
This is disappointing. We just caved to idle threats.

state66
04-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Do we hold that scholarship or replace him with someone still out there?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Looking back, it was a bad idea to sign him in the first place. There was always uncertainty around it and we've handcuffed ourselves. We also set a precedent that we can be pushed around.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-11-2017, 03:24 PM
we should go after Mayan Kiir...He has a higher ceiling

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Is this Scotty Hopson 2.0?

Irondawg
04-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Here's a random, but somewhat logical guess. Mom started making life miserable for son and pressures him to get out of NLI. Son talks to dad who explains it isn't that easy but to appease mom they'll go through the "process" and once denied maybe she'll accept the decision. All that happens and she goes nuclear which means she's not going to let it go. So the parties move to plan B which is to let garrison off with some kind of understanding of where he'll go.

Only something like that makes sense on why we'd reverse course within 12 hours.

Basically it probably came down to the son potentially losing his relationship with him mom over it and no kid should be forced to make that decision. So he did what most of us probably would have done in that situation.

basedog
04-11-2017, 03:34 PM
It's the thing to do. Whether he did the right thing or not, it obviously would have been a nightmare for all involved.

maroonmania
04-11-2017, 03:35 PM
So does he still have to sit out a year?

MCsMGs
04-11-2017, 03:37 PM
We did the right thing...

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2017, 03:38 PM
This is disappointing. We just caved to idle threats.

I think some of you need to get a grip. Yes, it's a frustrating situation but some of you are making this personal when this is a family situation and one in which a family is broken.

Truth is, we don't need this drama on our team and at the end of the day it really doesn't matter whose fault it is. I feel terrible for Garrison that he has a broken family and got caught up in a feud, but this solution is probably the best. It's a shitty situation that probably wasn't needed around our program.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Here's a random, but somewhat logical guess. Mom started making life miserable for son and pressures him to get out of NLI. Son talks to dad who explains it isn't that easy but to appease mom they'll go through the "process" and once denied maybe she'll accept the decision. All that happens and she goes nuclear which means she's not going to let it go. So the parties move to plan B which is to let garrison off with some kind of understanding of where he'll go.

Only something like that makes sense on why we'd reverse course within 12 hours.

Basically it probably came down to the son potentially losing his relationship with him mom over it and no kid should be forced to make that decision. So he did what most of us probably would have done in that situation.

ah yes the recently popular nuclear option.

btw I agree with your assessment of the maternal relationship - bitch or nah, basketball not worth discarding that relationship.

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Doesn't matter if he has to sit out a year. Not sure why anyone wants to punish the kid. Do you really think he wanted this?

Our opinions are worthless. This is a family issue. Not an MSU issue

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-11-2017, 03:43 PM

And no parent should put their kid in that position. It's sad that some parents don't put their kids' best interests first...see it all the time in elementary/high school education.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Doesn't matter if he has to sit out a year. Not sure why anyone wants to punish the kid. Do you really think he wanted this?

Yep this goes way past sports & way past anything a normal mind can think of.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-11-2017, 03:48 PM
He was at The Hotbed this year in New Albany/Baldwyn ...he was the smallest 6'9" guy I seen and was TBH pretty average that night....I know he played better as team made run in playoffs...

confucius say
04-11-2017, 04:05 PM
I will reserve judgment on the mother until mutt weighs in.

maroonmania
04-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Not sure if you are referencing my question but I want to know what a release means in this situation and if sitting a year is still required? My concern is that if a kid can sign an NLI and then pitch a fit about being released to force his way out (we were basically threatened by the Mom here) and have ZERO consequences, even sitting out for a year, then you may start seeing this more and more. Change your mind or just get a "better offer" after signing the NLI, well then just bully your current school into releasing you and start from scratch again, no problem.

MarketingBully
04-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Grad transfer banger PF. That's who we need to add.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2017, 04:10 PM
For his sake, I hope he goes to the West Coast. He would probably be better off getting away from the crazy.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Not sure if you are referencing my question but I want to know what a release means in this situation and if sitting a year is still required? My concern is that if a kid can sign an NLI and then pitch a fit about being released to force his way out (we were basically threatened by the Mom here) and have ZERO consequences, even sitting out for a year, then you may start seeing this more and more. Change your mind or just get a "better offer" after signing the NLI, well then just bully your current school into releasing you and start from scratch again, no problem.

Yep, Bama have a recruit they lose out to at the last minute and just go get our guy who was their #2 at the position. It sets a bad precedent. It kind of reminds me of the guy who chose Bama over LSU and the mom lost her shit.

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2017, 04:17 PM

I understand your concern but since this is a family issue it's completely different IMO and sets no precedent. This situation is apples and oranges compared to what your talking about.

gtowndawg
04-11-2017, 04:17 PM
College basketball is becoming a full blown circus.

msstate7
04-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Good riddance. I held off, but the last thing our program needs is this BS.

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2017, 04:22 PM
We can all agree with this.

The sport sucks to be honest.

Mobile Bay
04-11-2017, 04:25 PM
And no parent should put their kid in that position. It's sad that some parents don't put their kids' best interests first...see it all the time in elementary/high school education.

It's looking like there was some sort of gravy train for mama, and she was going to lose it if he didn't go to the school she was being paid by.

Expect the kid at Old Miss any day.

maroonmania
04-11-2017, 04:29 PM
I understand your concern but since this is a family issue it's completely different IMO and sets no precedent. This situation is apples and oranges compared to what your talking about.

For purposes of my questions, I could not care less about the family situation. I want to know if a release from an NLI still requires sitting out for a year. Its pretty cut and dry, either the NCAA requires you to or they do not. If its like a transfer a release still requires sitting out unless you prove some kind of significant hardship.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Football better be careful or it's trending that way too. 7v7 teams are football's AAU. I wonder if we'll ever see the day when every sport has a minor league and college sports looks more like intramurals.

ShotgunDawg
04-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Football better be careful or it's trending that way too. 7v7 teams are football's AAU. I wonder if we'll ever see the day when every sport has a minor league and college sports looks more like intramurals.

OM getting dealt with properly could help.

The advantage football has IMO is that the sport has deeper talent pool that is infinitely more difficult to evaluate that basketball.

Liverpooldawg
04-11-2017, 04:39 PM
We just said that we won't hold you to your letter to all future recruits. Big mistake

basedog
04-11-2017, 04:47 PM
We just said that we won't hold you to your letter to all future recruits. Big mistake

Please! Hell no we didn't, this is a bad situation, btw, it ain't like this kid is a big difference maker in our program, he isn't, decent player who has much more bad issues than us dealing with this family situation!

C'mon mane!

Liverpooldawg
04-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Please! Hell no we didn't, this is a bad situation, btw, it ain't like this kid is a big difference maker in our program, he isn't, decent player who has much more bad issues than us dealing with this family situation!

C'mon mane!

I hope I'm wrong

HSVDawg
04-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Bottom line is the FWTCT article forced our hand. They gave the bitch mom a public platform and blank check to sling mud against one of our assistant coaches and primary recruiters. It was the lesser of two evils at that point. Letting him go scott free was the best course of action when the alternative was future recruiting efforts being hampered by this becoming a sideshow circus.

And to anyone who runs FWTCT who may be reading this, do our fanbase a favor and take down your sack of shit website permanently. And while you're at it, consider a new team to rep because you are worthless to MSU.

louisvilledawg
04-11-2017, 04:58 PM

C'mon mane!

By "it aint like this kid is a big difference maker in our program" are you talking about "Garrison Brooks, top 120 recruit?"

msstate7
04-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Bottom line is the FWTCT article forced our hand. They gave the bitch mom a public platform and blank check to sling mud against one of our assistant coaches and primary recruiters. It was the lesser of two evils at that point. Letting him go scott free was the best course of action when the alternative was future recruiting efforts being hampered by this becoming a sideshow circus.

And to anyone who runs FWTCT who may be reading this, do our fanbase a favor and take down your sack of shit website permanently. And while you're at it, consider a new team to rep because you are worthless to MSU.

What did the author hope to accomplish? Terrible idea and I'm certainly done with that site

Saltydog
04-11-2017, 05:25 PM
outta it........

MarketingBully
04-11-2017, 05:40 PM

I agree that definitely gave her a voice and led to a lot of momentum being added to her side because people blindly believed her. Thought that article hurt us more then helped us. It's obvious they did it to get mentions and likes

Cloak
04-11-2017, 05:50 PM
WOW. The same sh*t happens every single time there's a bud publicity event at MSU. We look bad to the media, look like we are going to stick to our guns, then immediately cave to the pressure. I understand it's a bad situation, but come on....

MarketingBully
04-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Wow, that tanked our recruiting class. We are now 13 of 14 in SEC.

Liverpooldawg
04-11-2017, 06:36 PM

That site is and always has been an anti MSU site.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-11-2017, 07:35 PM

The desire to be relevant in the sec caused "our friends" up north to lose their minds in recruiting; seems FWtCT is Following the same pattern for followers.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-11-2017, 07:43 PM
What's the circulation on FWTCT? Million? 2 million?

preachermatt83
04-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Wow, that tanked our recruiting class. We are now 13 of 14 in SEC.

Seriously?

Irondawg
04-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Small class

Jack Lambert
04-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Love of Dad is pretty strong and maybe it was dad that asked to give him what he wants. I do hate Pearl. Always have. He is a snake in the grass and should have never been let back into the SEC.

whosyourdawgy
04-11-2017, 08:41 PM
For purposes of my questions, I could not care less about the family situation. I want to know if a release from an NLI still requires sitting out for a year. Its pretty cut and dry, either the NCAA requires you to or they do not. If its like a transfer a release still requires sitting out unless you prove some kind of significant hardship.

He is released from his letter from us. He can go wherever he wants to go. We have no say Now someone said he may be unable to go to a SEC school because of the financial aid papers he signed with us which I hope is the case.

Dawg61
04-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Brooks is no difference maker and we couldn't find enough minutes already for everyone so this is actually a positive imo. Brooks had major off the court distractions and he wasn't going to see but maybe 8-10 minutes anyways. This frees up minutes for Wright who was getting pushed to the back of the bench despite being one of our better freshman this year. I'd rather develop Wright more than I'd rather have Brooks. No contest.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Brooks is no difference maker and we couldn't find enough minutes already for everyone so this is actually a positive imo. Brooks had major off the court distractions and he wasn't going to see but maybe 8-10 minutes anyways. This frees up minutes for Wright who was getting pushed to the back of the bench despite being one of our better freshman this year. I'd rather develop Wright more than I'd rather have Brooks. No contest.

Brooks is a 4 Eli is a 2. Their p/t isn't related. More like Datcher & Brooks would've been fighting for minutes.

msstate7
04-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Dawgstudent said he heard brooks won't be able to sign with an sec school bc he signed a financial agreement here

Dawg61
04-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Brooks is a 4 Eli is a 2. Their p/t isn't related. More like Datcher & Brooks would've been fighting for minutes.

It still frees up minutes regardless and Eli can play both the 2&3. i.e. slide Kegler/Stapleton to the 4 and play Wright at the 3. He doesn't have to play the same position for it to free up minutes for Wright when you move a different player to the 4. You suck at tetris apparently

justwin
04-11-2017, 11:38 PM
What did the author hope to accomplish? Terrible idea and I'm certainly done with that site

Ben awful for a while. There's about 3 too many MSU sites anyway

blacklistedbully
04-11-2017, 11:42 PM
And we've already got ignorant UNC fans on Rivals basketball board licking their chops and droning on about how shitty we were, and how the mom is a hero for fighting for what Garrison really wanted.

Samples:
Full release was granted and we are very interested. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up a Tar Heel.

Feel bad for the kid. What his dad did to him was unreal. What a POS!

What is the story? I heard something along the lines of his dad was told he would no longer have a job if Garrison didn't sign with MS ST.

From what I have heard is that his dad told him that he had to sign with MSU or he would lose his job. Absolutely terrible spot to put your son in. Also, his dad signed his LOI and wasn't his legal guardian! So, the guy is a waste of space in my book.

Dad was strongly urged to make sure his son committed.

Dad was the only staff member retained when Howland took over.

Garrison told everyone he was picking Unc.

His mom claims his dad signed the LOI on behalf of Garrison

Garrison cried at his announcement ceremony

Well, if someone gets a copy of the LOI, then we will know the truth. If his dad signed it, then he wanted to go to Carolina. In all honesty, if you are basketball player, where are you going to go, Carolina or MSU? It's a no brainer.

Bothrops
04-11-2017, 11:59 PM
Auburn pulling any strings here?

Political Hack
04-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Hate it for dad more than anything else, but we don't want these kinds of problems in the locker room and coaches' offices. Best to cut bait and move along. I would've held out longer if I were Howland just to put more pressure on whoever threw momma a bone, but maybe we've already got plan B in place for his replacement.

Martianlander
04-12-2017, 07:58 AM
I would have put restrictions on where he could go. No SEC or ACC school. Maybe throw a few more in there. Let him sign with Oregon or Washington and mama can stay up late and watch him on tv.

KentuckyDawg13
04-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Plan B? http://247sports.com/player/mayan-kiir-83588

Ifyouonlyknew
04-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Plan B? http://247sports.com/player/mayan-kiir-83588

He's signing with LSU today

maroonmania
04-12-2017, 09:08 AM
You have to hand it to the Mom, she screwed MSU over to the maximum extent. If she had pitched this tantrum back in October when Garrison first signed we wouldn't have gotten him but at least we would have had time to find a legitimate replacement. By staying mum on the matter until within a couple of months of him actually heading to MSU she not only made sure we lost Garrison but also have little to no options to replace him. Well done Mom, well done.

MarketingBully
04-12-2017, 09:16 AM
You have to hand it to the Mom, she screwed MSU over to the maximum extent. If she had pitched this tantrum back in October when Garrison first signed we wouldn't have gotten him but at least we would have had time to find a legitimate replacement. By staying mum on the matter until within a couple of months of him actually heading to MSU she not only made sure we lost Garrison but also have little to no options to replace him. Well done Mom, well done.

I think that was the point.

smootness
04-12-2017, 09:22 AM
And we've already got ignorant UNC fans on Rivals basketball board licking their chops and droning on about how shitty we were, and how the mom is a hero for fighting for what Garrison really wanted.

Samples:
Full release was granted and we are very interested. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up a Tar Heel.

What is the story? I heard something along the lines of his dad was told he would no longer have a job if Garrison didn't sign with MS ST.

From what I have heard is that his dad told him that he had to sign with MSU or he would lose his job. Absolutely terrible spot to put your son in. Also, his dad signed his LOI and wasn't his legal guardian! So, the guy is a waste of space in my book.

Well, if someone gets a copy of the LOI, then we will know the truth. If his dad signed it, then he wanted to go to Carolina. In all honesty, if you are basketball player, where are you going to go, Carolina or MSU? It's a no brainer.

Both sides believe what they want to believe, the thing that paints themselves as the good guys and the others as the bad guys? What a shock.

maroonmania
04-12-2017, 09:23 AM
I think that was the point.

Yes, very vindictive schemer. Emotionally it would have been more natural for her to have lashed out right after he signed but no, she laid in the weeds on it for maximum damage.

Dawg61
04-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Why is everybody trying to start WW3 over a dude that will never average more than 6-8 points a game tops.

OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!!!!

smootness
04-12-2017, 10:11 AM
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!!!!

One of the greatest lines of all time.

MarketingBully
04-12-2017, 10:42 AM
I'd love to see him pick Memphis. I used to like North Carolina but after this shit they are up there with UK fans as far as pretentious stuck up assholes are concerned.

KentuckyDawg13
04-12-2017, 10:54 AM
UNC fans are worse than UK fans. Having lived in both states, the pretentiousness is strong in both though.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Isn't UNC under a NCAA investigation?

MarketingBully
04-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Isn't UNC under a NCAA investigation?

Yep, for Academic fraud.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-12-2017, 12:16 PM
How much of this drama and bs is on Howland? I've been very patient with him, but this was amateur hour shit. Did we not think this could eventually happen?

Dawg61
04-12-2017, 12:42 PM
How much of this drama and bs is on Howland? I've been very patient with him, but this was amateur hour shit. Did we not think this could eventually happen?

There will always be misses when you're dealing with 4-5* egos in college basketball. Nobody bats perfectly when every kid thinks they are the next Steph Curry. Losing Brooks is not a bad thing. Quote me.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-12-2017, 01:07 PM
There will always be misses when you're dealing with 4-5* egos in college basketball. Nobody bats perfectly when every kid thinks they are the next Steph Curry. Losing Brooks is not a bad thing. Quote me.

I 100% agree with this^^ I always thought we should have went after Mayan Kiir more than Brooks. Brooks it overrated IMO.

shannondawg
04-12-2017, 01:14 PM
I heard he didn't want to come, cause he was scared he would have to scrimmage with our girls.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-12-2017, 01:20 PM

Samples:

Yes because UNC is the GOLD Standard of how to run a clean program....WTF How in the hell can this fanbase throw stones when they are about to get pounded for Academic fraud??

basedog
04-12-2017, 01:32 PM
I heard he didn't want to come, cause he was scared he would have to scrimmage with our girls.

Wrong, he would have to go to class at Msu, by him going to North Carolina he gets a pass and gets a degree without ever going to class******

shannondawg
04-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Wrong, he would have to go to class at Msu, by him going to North Carolina he gets a pass and gets a degree without ever going to class******

Should have checked with you first, before posting..As usual you probably right!

maroonmania
04-12-2017, 01:59 PM

Samples:

The funniest one to me is the last one. How do you correlate that if his Dad signed the NLI for MSU that Garrison wanted to go to UNC? I think its pretty evident that the Mother would never have signed for her son to go play for his Dad but that has ZERO to do with where Garrison wanted to play. Pretty clear that he did want to play for his Dad if his Mother would have allowed it. He made that clear when HE signed the NLI with MSU.

Tbonewannabe
04-12-2017, 02:40 PM
The funniest one to me is the last one. How do you correlate that if his Dad signed the NLI for MSU that Garrison wanted to UNC? I think its pretty evident that the Mother would never have signed for her son to go play for his Dad but that has ZERO to do with where Garrison wanted to play. Pretty clear that he did want to play for his Dad if his Mother would have allowed it. He made that clear when HE signed the NLI with MSU.

It isn't like Garrison didn't sign his NLI in front of people. That post acts like his dad signed his papers for him and faxed them in.

basedog
04-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Should have checked with you first, before posting..As usual you probably right!

Btw, did you see where the 6'1" girl from "Down Under" signed. Reading bio's sounds like a huge get by Vic.

Dawg61
04-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Btw, did you see where the 6'1" girl from "Down Under" signed. Reading bio's sounds like a huge get by Vic.

Nope perhaps you could start a new thread about it and post the link