PDA

View Full Version : Spring Football Thoughts

Todd4State
04-11-2017, 02:48 AM
It has been a few days but after watching the game in person...

QB- Normally I would be worried about our QB throwing four INT's in the spring game but if there is one thing that I trust Dan Mullen with, it's QB's. I think Nick is very solid and will make even more strides during the season but I don't think he will "master" the position fully until his senior year. He's on the right path though. The other thing is because it was the spring game we basically took away the QB run element and that really limits our offense because I think that opens up the passing game. There's no better example of that than the Egg Bowl on Malik Dear's TD where Nick faked a run and then pulled up and threw to a wide open Dear all alone in the end zone. As far as Keytaeon goes, and I know this won't be popular as an opinion- but to me he looked like a freshman. Based on what I saw I think he would probably benefit from a redshirt year. I know he's going to have to play some because of our depth chart but I hope it's three games or less. And I hope Dan has a plan for when Fitz's helmet gets ripped off rather than burn his redshirt handing the ball off a couple of times a game. He has a good arm but it seemed like he threw the ball to Reggie Todd every single time almost. And I think in the first half he only had six completions on 20 attempts. Don't get me wrong- I think he's going to be great. I just think he may need some more development than originally thought.

RB- I thought the RB's looked the strongest of any position group on offense. It's good to see some big SEC looking running backs in our offense rather than a scatback getting most of the carries. Aeris looked really good and I think Nick Gibson looked very good as well. I hope we use Dontavian Lee like we used Nick Griffen and honestly I think he's a better version of Griffen. I would actually be comfortable with any of those three starting for us. I like Kylin Hill too- but I think we're so deep here it probably would be prudent to redshirt him too rather than getting around 10 carries during the whole year.

WR- I know we didn't start Gray or Mixon but this group looks a little iffy right now to me. I know Nick threw a couple of INT's on deep balls- but to me it didn't seem like the WR really fought for the ball on those two picks or was outmuscled for the ball. That's why I don't care for small outside WR's. Gabe Myles honestly to me didn't really look that much better to me although I know a lot of people will disagree with that. Reggie Todd and Jamal Couch have a lot of talent and upside but they both looked really raw to me. Unless they make huge strides between now and the opening kickoff I can't really see either one of them having a huge impact and they both look like they are about a year away. Gray has really only shown to be a deep threat against OOC and against shorter SEC CB's- meaning that guy from Arkansas. Otherwise he's best to me on shorter routes and screens like his TD in the Egg Bowl. It looks like Jesse Jackson will catch a few balls for us- I'm guessing around 12 for the year and that will help a little bit. We do look pretty good and deep at TE and honestly if it were me, I'd move Dontae Jones to WR at least part time just to try to help out the group some. We're going to miss Dear a good bit.

TE- This group should be pretty solid. Farrod Green is one of my favorite players and then Jordan Thomas had the best catch of the spring game. And then we have Justin Johnson who is a solid player too. I also really liked what I saw from Dontae Jones as well.

OL- I know no one wants to talk about it, but they didn't look all that great to me. And yes I know that o-line is a position group that requires a lot of cohesion but I'm talking about guys getting dominated in one on one battles. People want to bury their head in the sand and insist that Calhoun is going to be the center, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Rankin. And that's sad because it breaks up the left side of the line that was so good late last year. It's amazing to me how long Hevesy has been allowed to underachieve and no one does anything about it. Jenkins will be a leader and I think Calhoun will start as well. I guess the other guard spot will be between Story and Williams which is incredible to me considering how scary Williams injury against Kentucky was last year. And I really liked Greg Eiland and I think he has really good upside. I'm not sure if he starts or not- but I think he will be pretty good in time.

The defense really impressed me and I liked what I saw out of them.

DL- What a deep group! I really liked that we used both 3 and 4 man fronts. I think Simmons is going to be a three year guy, and Deion Pope really stood out too. Grant Harris surprised me as well. Then you add in Kobe Jones, Fletcher Adams, Chauncey Rivers, and Cory Thomas and this is probably our most improved position group from last year.

LB- If there is one thing Mississippi produces a lot of it's good linebackers. That's why it has always made sense to me that in whatever defense we run that our LB's should be active rushing the passer. I really like this group with Sweat, Leo, Green, Spencer, Erroll Thompson and now you have a guy like Tim Washington stepping up and Dez Harris becoming a leader that's another deep group of talented players. I also thought Jung played pretty well for us last year too. We have a lot of versatility and it's going to be nice to watch them actually rush the passer.

CB- I think Jamal Peters and Cam Dantzler are going to be NFL CB's. Peters is really learning the position and I think he's going to be one of the best in the SEC. He's just a complete freak show and moving him to corner was a great move by the staff. Dantzler looks a lot like Banks did as a freshman. If we get Shaq Wiggins he could start as well and I think he would help our defense out a lot just because he's familiar with the system. I think Durr is a pretty solid college CB as well. And I'll be honest I was a little leery about letting Cedric Giles go, but after seeing this group in person I can understand it now. I really like those long athletic corners like Peters and Dantzler that we have.

S- MUCH BETTER. It was so nice seeing our safeties make plays on the ball for a change. Abrams obviously stood out. We've missed a guy like that since Nikoe Whitley graduated. Brian Cole surprised me a little bit as well and then McLaurin had a great game. If Brandon Bryant decides that he likes football again we'll be that much deeper. I like moving JT Gray to safety as well. I think that's a good move for us. Our secondary is going to surprise a lot of people that don't follow us very closely.

K- Probably the worst unit we have right now. There are high schools with better kickers than our group- and that's the sad truth. I hope that freshman can do the job. The green field goal line on the TV is going to be on the two yard line. I seriously would be begging Westin Graves to come back if I were Dan.

P- Cooke looked solid. He's a good punter for us. I wonder if he can kick field goals too? I'd sure look at it if I were our coaches.

KR/PR- Mixon will be pretty good for us returning kicks but again we'll miss Dear. We'll see who else returns kicks but I could see Deddrick Thomas breaking out potentially for us as a kick returner.

dawgday166
04-11-2017, 06:08 AM
I'm a little concerned with Fitz right now. I know everyone says he'll be great but his footwork on his throws wasn't great the other day and his touch wasn't either on some that needed touch. And the other day the D line wasn't really pressing him and couldn't hit him if they got close to him. I was on the Fitz bandwagon from the beginning when over half the board early last year was questioning whether or not he could be an SEC QB. He has all the physical and mental tools IMO.

But he and those WRs & RBs need to do the post-practice/off-season work like Dak did. That is why Dak is in the league now. Right now it doesn't look to me like the post-practice/off-season work is happening as much as it should be. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope he improves as a passer as much as he should.

I agree about Rankin. I believe he will be the center next year. Not sure what to think on rest of Oline. Saw some things that looked pretty decent but not sure Dline was really bringing it a lot of the time either. Run blocking wasn't too bad at times.

I really like Gibson as a runner. He don't like to go down. Hope he can pass block.

Also agree about secondary. Thought it might be a a little bit of a liability this year but all of them, especially jucos, looked pretty good. I liked the move of Peters to CB when it happened. He has always been a gifted athlete IMO ... I wasn't one of those that has ever thought he was a bust or he was too dumb to play in SEC. He just needed some good coaching. There is speed, length, and physicality on the back end now. I tend to believe as of right now that the secondary may be a very good strength. If LBs and DL play like we expect them to, our D could very well be pretty salty next year. If our D is salty then Dan will deserve some credit for 2 things: 1) He hired Grantham 2) He stayed the f*** out of Grantham's way.

The offense needs to become much more crisp and precise than it is right now. It needs to look a lot more like a Joe Montana or Tom Brady led offense. Dan is THE QB whisperer and offensive guru in all of CFB. I kinda think that should be pretty obvious every time our offense hits the field.

I believe I read an article the other day on Grantham and how he starts simple and builds from there when installing his D, so his players can play fast. Dan may need to take some notes there.

Dan & Co still have a good bit of work to do to get ready for next season. This spring game wasn't quite the country club atmosphere last year's spring game was, so maybe Dan is serious this year. Who knows ... maybe Dan noticed how hard the girls basketball team worked this year ***

ETA: One thing I keep hearing from Dan (once again .. as in past 2 years too) is this is a young team. That should keep our expectations somewhat lower. It's probably finally true to some extent this year since senior class is so small. Kinda weary of hearing it tho. If we're "young" all the time then our recruiting strategy needs to be reevaluated some.

smootness
04-11-2017, 07:55 AM
In Thompson, you saw a QB who is still very much dependent on his athleticism and running ability who had his athleticism and running ability taken away as a tool/weapon. He will look entirely differently in an actual game where he can fly around and make plays.

Cary Hudson's little bro
04-11-2017, 07:56 AM
I just hope Fitz has been taking the weight room seriously bc he got hurt vs Miami (OH). Or was that a concussion? I can't remember.

maroonmania
04-11-2017, 08:42 AM
One thing we should remember and use it to help keep expectations in check is just understanding how unique and special Dak was. For all of the physical ability that Nick has, he will probably NEVER progress in the areas of reading a defense and mastering his progressions like Dak did in the Mullen offense. That takes a special mental gift that most QBs just don't have. Its also why you saw the rare occurrence of Dak being an all-star QB at the NFL level in his rookie year. Now that doesn't mean Fitz won't make good strides as he matures but people expecting him to make the same jumps Dak did as a JR and then as a SR are likely setting expectations way too high.

Reason2succeed
04-11-2017, 08:49 AM
It is obvious that KT thinks Reggie Todd is a stud. Reggie wasn't getting open but he just needs to learn to fight for the ball like a contested rebound.

I'm glad Fitz had a bad day. Mullen will use that to make him work hard all summer with the receivers. I'm not worried about our offense. I just pray for the day that we have a dominant OL and running game along with our passing attack.

Defense is in good hands and will be a strength. I still want the CB from Louisville to come in and add depth.

maroonmania
04-11-2017, 08:56 AM
It is obvious that KT thinks Reggie Todd is a stud. Reggie wasn't getting open but he just needs to learn to fight for the ball like a contested rebound.

I'm glad Fitz had a bad day. Mullen will use that to make him work hard all summer with the receivers. I'm not worried about our offense. I just pray for the day that we have a dominant OL and running game along with our passing attack.

Defense is in good hands and will be a strength. I still want the CB from Louisville to come in and add depth.

Wonder if KT was doing some talking to Guidry?

Reason2succeed
04-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Wonder if KT was doing some talking to Guidry?

Dak was talking to a recruit on the SEC Network feed. That can only help recruiting.

TimberBeast
04-11-2017, 09:51 AM
In Thompson, you saw a QB who is still very much dependent on his athleticism and running ability who had his athleticism and running ability taken away as a tool/weapon. He will look entirely differently in an actual game where he can fly around and make plays.

Same with Fitz

Bothrops
04-11-2017, 10:24 AM
I watched the replay. Fitz' throws didn't look as off the second time and he threaded a very tiny needle for a couple of completions. Our receivers just missed some catches. I'm not worried about Fitz so much, I'm worried about receivers stepping up. Thompson looked better than any qb I've seen at MSU, for such a short time being here. I think if we can get him some receivers that can stretch the field and a little consistency on the OL, he could be the best we've ever had at the position.

Reggie Todd is going to be our #1 outside threat next year.

maroonmania
04-11-2017, 11:16 AM
I watched the replay. Fitz' throws didn't look as off the second time and he threaded a very tiny needle for a couple of completions. Our receivers just missed some catches. I'm not worried about Fitz so much, I'm worried about receivers stepping up. Thompson looked better than any qb I've seen at MSU, for such a short time being here. I think if we can get him some receivers that can stretch the field and a little consistency on the OL, he could be the best we've ever had at the position.

Sort of funny as I was listening to the Boneyard yesterday and Rosey going on about how we have some really good CBs with their ability to high point and go get the football. The whole time he was saying all of that, all I could think was yea, I just wish we had some WRs that had the ability to do that.

maroonmania
04-11-2017, 11:18 AM

Can't be, RP has already decreed him just another Joe Morrow.**

HoopsDawg
04-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Can't be, RP has already decreed him just another Joe Morrow.**

I'll just say that Joe Morrow and Antonio Hargro looked great in spring games. Donald Gray is going to be our #1 outside threat. But we definitely need Todd to show up, b/c frankly we don't have any other options due to poor recruiting.

Looking back, it was pretty bad that we targeted Guidry so hard when he ended up not making his grades and signed with LSU anyway. Brandon Martin could have helped but we put on the full court press too late. And unfortunately we haven't been in the hunt for any graduate transfers even though we would be a great landing spot for one.

tcdog70
04-11-2017, 12:10 PM
it was a Spring game. It was nothing like what our offense will be. It was a means to get some guys reps. Don't worry about Fitz, he is fine. The Dbs knew he wasn't going to run. The wrs let Him down by not going and getting the 50-50 balls. Rankin will be back at LT. Our OL will be ok. Dan will score points and control the ball. My worry was the defense and now I'm not worried, we now have a great Defensive Coaching Staff and we will attack and create turnovers. Next year will be fun--

GTHOM
04-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Malik Dear played in the spring game. Or that was somebody else wearing 22 in maroon. Which is where he was listed on the spring game roster......

This season is really simple. If we stay healthy on the OL we will be solid offensively, the defense is going to be much improved. Probably one of the better defenses in the conference. Theres not a whole whole lot you can take away from spring games but you can tell if you are talented and athletic. I will say this, we most definitely are athletic on D, Abram and Brian Cole are freaks. We are gonna look hellacious getting off the bus

Todd4State
04-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Malik Dear played in the spring game. Or that was somebody else wearing 22 in maroon. Which is where he was listed on the spring game roster......

This season is really simple. If we stay healthy on the OL we will be solid offensively, the defense is going to be much improved. Probably one of the better defenses in the conference. Theres not a whole whole lot you can take away from spring games but you can tell if you are talented and athletic. I will say this, we most definitely are athletic on D, Abram and Brian Cole are freaks. We are gonna look hellacious getting off the bus

I'm 100% that was someone else. Dan however did make it sound like there was a chance that Dear might be able to come back at some point during the season which I thought was interesting and amazing. It shows how far we've come with ACL surgery.