PDA

View Full Version : Jaren Kendall Question - for Baseball Experts

The Federalist Engineer
04-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Kendall is listed as the #2 prospect in the draft and the best in college baseball ... he has good numbers but I don't get the love as the TOP college prospect. He is a good hitter and plays defense

That said, he reminds me of the Jackie Bradley Jr obsession of a what-ever player. Bradley was ok last year for Red Sox but will be a 200-to-240 hitter. Buddy Reed was another obsession in the draft, he will probably be a 200 hitter and should change his last name to Upton, if he ever plays MLB

Seems to me that Oregon State's Conforo was pure deadly and clutch. Same with Schwarber when he played in Indiana. Frank Thomas of Auburn was pure nightmare, just walk him. Kendall is nowhere near that level of good. You don't walk Kendall with bases loaded or with man on 2nd.

What does the expert see in Kendall that is not showing up in SEC play or to a regular fan like me?

ShotgunDawg
04-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Everything you said is correct. However, here is what you've also got to understand:

- Teams picking at the top of the draft want a college hitter because historically the top college hitters are the safest possible profile and move quickly. Benintendi, Bregman, Bryant, Swanson, Schwarber, Conforto, Turner, etc.

- Their are very few college hitters this year with first round toolsets.

- Kendall has a first round tool set and, if he hits .260 with 15 HR, he's got a chance to be a solid MLB regular.

So, in conclusion, Kendall is really talented and gives teams enough hope he'll hit, that because he is a college hitter, will go in the top 10 picks. It's by default. There are no Schwarbers, Bregmans, or Benintendis in this draft. There are quality high school position players and pitchers but they are risky. Pavin Smith from Virginia will also go higher than he should for this reason.

Buddy Reed can't see. Has terrible timing and eyes

Todd4State
04-10-2017, 12:45 AM
I'm not a Buddy Reed fan either. I'd be surprised if he makes it to MLB to be honest. If he does, I doubt it will be for long.

louisvilledawg
04-10-2017, 07:49 AM
I'm not a Buddy Reed fan either. I'd be surprised if he makes it to MLB to be honest. If he does, I doubt it will be for long.

He got that first round paycheck tho!

KB21
04-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Jeren Kendall is going to be a highly rated prospect because he profiles out as a center fielder from a defensive standpoint and has a quality bat. Just like Buddy Reed, guys who project to stay in center field from a defensive standpoint have a lot of value. When you compare Kendall to Brent Rooker, it's easy to tell that Brent is the better hitter with remaining upside. We should expect some regression in his numbers at some point, but his power gives him an advantage over Kendall. However, Brent likely profiles out as a first baseman in the professional ranks, and whether deservingly or not, first basemen tend to not get drafted high. Yonder Alonso from Miami was the last collegiate first baseman to get drafted in the top 10, and that was 7th in 2008.

I think Kendall will end up going somewhere between 7 and 15 in the draft. His bat has not been that strong this year, though he has turned it up some lately. He's not showing the pop he did a year ago. His strike outs are up as well.

msstate7
04-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Jeren Kendall is going to be a highly rated prospect because he profiles out as a center fielder from a defensive standpoint and has a quality bat. Just like Buddy Reed, guys who project to stay in center field from a defensive standpoint have a lot of value. When you compare Kendall to Brent Rooker, it's easy to tell that Brent is the better hitter with remaining upside. We should expect some regression in his numbers at some point, but his power gives him an advantage over Kendall. However, Brent likely profiles out as a first baseman in the professional ranks, and whether deservingly or not, first basemen tend to not get drafted high. Yonder Alonso from Miami was the last collegiate first baseman to get drafted in the top 10, and that was 7th in 2008.

I think Kendall will end up going somewhere between 7 and 15 in the draft. His bat has not been that strong this year, though he has turned it up some lately. He's not showing the pop he did a year ago. His strike outs are up as well.

Huh?
Kendall
'16 -- .332/.396/.568 ISO -- .236
'17 -- .309/.394/.604 ISO -- .295

His pop isn't down

smootness
04-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Kendall is listed as the #2 prospect in the draft and the best in college baseball ... he has good numbers but I don't get the love as the TOP college prospect. He is a good hitter and plays defense

That said, he reminds me of the Jackie Bradley Jr obsession of a what-ever player. Bradley was ok last year for Red Sox but will be a 200-to-240 hitter. Buddy Reed was another obsession in the draft, he will probably be a 200 hitter and should change his last name to Upton, if he ever plays MLB

Seems to me that Oregon State's Conforo was pure deadly and clutch. Same with Schwarber when he played in Indiana. Frank Thomas of Auburn was pure nightmare, just walk him. Kendall is nowhere near that level of good. You don't walk Kendall with bases loaded or with man on 2nd.

What does the expert see in Kendall that is not showing up in SEC play or to a regular fan like me?

First, I don't think Kendall ends up going in the top 5. Top 10, maybe, but even that could end up not happening. His K's are too high and his BBs not high enough for a college hitter that high in the draft. Shotgun is right that it is a relatively weak draft in college hitters, so he may end up there by default, but no one is projecting him as some kind of can't-miss guy.

Second, Bradley wasn't taken that high in the draft. He was taken 40th, so I'm not sure why you're hung up on him.

Third, Bradley is a better player than Conforto, and he's simply been a very good MLB player the last 2 years. That is a fact. Phenomenal draft pick for the Red Sox. It's odd that you're down on Bradley but seem to love Conforto so much.

Fourth, Reed was always unlikely to become much. I never got the hype on him, but it cooled considerably during his junior year, and he was taken 48th. Again, unsure why you're comparing him to Kendall. Kendall is a very good defensive CF, as others have said, and if he can hit roughly league-average in the majors, that is a seriously valuable player. That's why MLB teams like him.

KB21
04-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Huh?
Kendall
'16 -- .332/.396/.568 ISO -- .236
'17 -- .309/.394/.604 ISO -- .295

His pop isn't down

My mistake. He must have heated up some from the last time I really checked out his numbers.