PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to South Carolina...

CadaverDawg
04-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Any chance we can go in there and win 2 ball games? I know they're good, but how do we matchup? I'd be happy with 1 win up there, but I'm not putting a series win out of the question with our group of scrappers

msstate7
04-09-2017, 07:37 PM
We can't come out give up crooked numbers in the 1st inning. They're TEAM era is 2.74 and they have some stud starters

Commercecomet24
04-09-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm not putting anything past this group of scrapers. We can definitely win the series the way we are playing but realistically if we get one I'd be satisfied. I love this team!

Todd4State
04-09-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm not putting anything past this group of scrapers. We can definitely win the series the way we are playing but realistically if we get one I'd be satisfied. I love this team!

This is where I am.

South Carolina does have the best ERA in the SEC currently and I think they have one of the best aces in Schmidt. Adam Hill they're number two guy is very good too. They only have a few guys hitting over .300 though- and people may not realize that we just got through the best hitting team in the SEC. Plus, it's always tough on the road in the SEC.

With all due respect to Texas A&M and Georgia- I think South Carolina is our most difficult road test that we have left facing us going forward.

We win one game- and we're in OK shape as far as hosting and all of that. If we win two or more we should get really excited.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2017, 08:30 PM
This is where I am.

South Carolina does have the best ERA in the SEC currently and I think they have one of the best aces in Schmidt. Adam Hill they're number two guy is very good too. They only have a few guys hitting over .300 though- and people may not realize that we just got through the best hitting team in the SEC. Plus, it's always tough on the road in the SEC.

With all due respect to Texas A&M and Georgia- I think South Carolina is our most difficult road test that we have left facing us going forward.

We win one game- and we're in OK shape as far as hosting and all of that. If we win two or more we should get really excited.

Agree completely.

msstate7
04-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Gridley is gonna be huge this series. I don't see South Carolina letting rooker beat them.

msstate7
04-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Do you start jolly on Sunday? He was very impressive today

basedog
04-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Gridley is gonna be huge this series. I don't see South Carolina letting rooker beat them.

I would be more concerned with the lower end of our batting order not including Stoval, 6,7 and 8. Grid has proven his worth.

msstate7
04-09-2017, 08:40 PM
I would be more concerned with the lower end of our batting order not including Stoval, 6,7 and 8. Grid has proven his worth.

Huh? They don't hit behind rooker... gridley does. I'm not saying anything other than South Carolina will make gridley beat them rather than rooker. Well if they're smart they will and that's no knock on gridley... I'd pitch to anyone in the country over rooker right now

basedog
04-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Huh? They don't hit behind rooker... gridley does. I'm not saying anything other than South Carolina will make gridley beat them rather than rooker. Well if they're smart they will and that's no knock on gridley... I'd pitch to anyone in the country over rooker right now

I understand, just saying the bottom order needs to get on base.

KB21
04-09-2017, 08:56 PM
This is where I am.

And as an interesting turn of events, Mississippi State is now the best hitting team in the conference with a .301 team batting average to Kentucky's .293 team batting average.

Todd4State
04-09-2017, 10:27 PM

It's still going to be situation dependent. If Stovall and Mangum are on base they're going to likely pitch to him unless first base is open and there are two outs or something like that. It depends on what the score is too. Teams usually don't like to put the tying/go ahead runner on base even if it's Babe Ruth hitting.

The other thing about Rooker is he is a legit stolen base threat- unlike McGwire and Bonds when they were hitting 70+. If they walk Rooker and then he starts stealing bags and ends up on third it will make them think twice about walking him.

Todd4State
04-09-2017, 10:29 PM
And as an interesting turn of events, Mississippi State is now the best hitting team in the conference with a .301 team batting average to Kentucky's .293 team batting average.

Woah! I didn't see that coming because UK had an over 20 point lead over us in batting average. And it's not like we totally shut them down either. Are you talking conference games only?

biggun
04-10-2017, 03:49 AM

If there is a base is open, Intentionally passed every time up, regardless of runners on or outs. Rooker is dominating SEC pitching in the same fashion that Johnny Football dominated SEC defenses. There was no way to escape Manziel's greatness but baseball provides the opportunity to make somebody else, anybody else, beat you which is exactly what USC will do.

No way they allow Rooker to destroy them like Ole Miss and Kentucky did.

Choctaw Dawg
04-10-2017, 11:02 PM

Not a bad move, i like him there more than Mangum.

GTHOM
04-11-2017, 12:03 AM

If Kruger and Lowe stay we probably have the best lineup in the country

GTHOM
04-11-2017, 12:04 AM
It's still going to be situation dependent. If Stovall and Mangum are on base they're going to likely pitch to him unless first base is open and there are two outs or something like that. It depends on what the score is too. Teams usually don't like to put the tying/go ahead runner on base even if it's Babe Ruth hitting.

The other thing about Rooker is he is a legit stolen base threat- unlike McGwire and Bonds when they were hitting 70+. If they walk Rooker and then he starts stealing bags and ends up on third it will make them think twice about walking him.

One of the best moves Cann did was let Rooker steal a lot early in the season. Teams dont wanna walk him and they dont wanna pitch to him

smootness
04-11-2017, 07:48 AM
One of the best moves Cann did was let Rooker steal a lot early in the season. Teams dont wanna walk him and they dont wanna pitch to him

Yeah, Rooker's going to beat them, the question is just how you want to be beat. Do you want it to come via XBH with the chance you get him out, or do you want it to come via giving him 1B for free with Gridley and Cody Brown coming up? It becomes especially difficult when just about half the time, Mangum's already on.

I love the fact that our lineup puts pressure on you immediately. You know Mangum's got a chance to put anything in play with hard contact, and then if he gets on, you're already in 'uh oh' mode.

Friday will be huge. It would be phenomenal if Pilkington can give us his best and go 7-8. Of course we can win the series; like others have said, I'm not putting anything past this team.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Yeah, Rooker's going to beat them, the question is just how you want to be beat. Do you want it to come via XBH with the chance you get him out, or do you want it to come via giving him 1B for free with Gridley and Cody Brown coming up? It becomes especially difficult when just about half the time, Mangum's already on.

I love the fact that our lineup puts pressure on you immediately. You know Mangum's got a chance to put anything in play with hard contact, and then if he gets on, you're already in 'uh oh' mode.

Friday will be huge. It would be phenomenal if Pilkington can give us his best and go 7-8. Of course we can win the series; like others have said, I'm not putting anything past this team.

It helps that Rooker comes to the plate with Mangum on and Mangum can score from first on anything hit well.

bhamdawgfan
04-11-2017, 09:03 AM

Absolutely not. You just pray that he's able to give you that kind of outing again out of the pen. You don't make a move like that off of one performance. Going into Sunday, he's been one of our weakest pitchers.

msstate7
04-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Absolutely not. You just pray that he's able to give you that kind of outing again out of the pen. You don't make a move like that off of one performance. Going into Sunday, he's been one of our weakest pitchers.

We started mangum bc of one good performance vs a swac school

Mangum's sec era is 8.49. I think we have to try someone else and use mangum midweek

CadaverDawg
04-11-2017, 09:48 AM
We started mangum bc of one good performance vs a swac school

Mangum's sec era is 8.49. I think we have to try someone else and use mangum midweek

Yep I'd start Jolly over Mangum. Hell, let Mangum start vs Valley