PDA

View Full Version : Baseball thoughts

lamont
04-09-2017, 05:21 PM
1. What Cann is doing is remarkable. Piecing this line-up and pitching staff together to get SEC wins has been really amazing. Think about this? Our #2 and #3 SEC SP's this weekend were Gordon and Magnum. Henderson gets some outstanding credit for juggling all this as well. Well done

2. Rooker is Superman right now. Making a run at National POY. Best season by a State player since 1985. Maybe ever

3. Need to get Bragg some AB's and sit Belmont some. Bragg's HR today put the game out of reach. We need some more offense. Dont have totally bench Belmont- but he needs to sit some for some Bragg AB's. Poole has been hitting in SEC play- keep him in. Stovall can play 3rd, Brown to 2B, let Mac play some OF and Bragg DH. It wont hurt us any worse than starting a guy hitting .171 in SEC play (7/41) with almost twice as many K's (13) as hits

4. Pilk gives us a chance every Friday. He is a quality arm we absolutely need to stay healthy for this season and beyond. He has alot of money on the table. I'd take the summer off if I'm him

5. I worry about our arms tiring down the stretch because we simply dont have many. We arent a team that can make a run in an SEC Tourney because we are so limited. It's getting hotter now- hope the pitching doesnt wilt.

6. Huge series win. Keeps momentum going headed to SC for a huge series next week. Will be interesting to see where we are at the halfway point come Sunday

Quaoarsking
04-09-2017, 05:26 PM
Where do you put our chances at making a Regional now, RP?

lamont
04-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Pretty good

99jc
04-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Pretty good

NM

DownwardDawg
04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Where do you put our chances at making a Regional now, RP?

We should be talking about hosting now.

Todd4State
04-09-2017, 05:43 PM
We should be talking about hosting now.

I think if we win the South Carolina series next week we can seriously talk about it but there is no question we are in a good position. The other thing we have to do is not slip up against Valley- we must beat them or it will tank our RPI.

HSVDawg
04-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Good overall thoughts RP. I won't drag another thread down the path of discussing benching Alexander, but I will say that MacNamee has earned an every day role. I think Cody Brown, Mangum, and MacNamee is our best outfield. Bragg and Poole can battle it out at DH. Blaylock should be a late game defensive sub and nothing more. With Stovall and MacNamee both coming on strong, I like the odds of us sustaining our success over the 2nd half (regardless of what happens at 3B).

Shake 'n Bake
04-09-2017, 08:24 PM
I agree mcnamee has to play but if both him and Poole are in the line up, Poole has to play outfield. Pretty sure he is the fastest player on the team and a plus defender

HSVDawg
04-09-2017, 08:37 PM
I agree mcnamee has to play but if both him and Poole are in the line up, Poole has to play outfield. Pretty sure he is the fastest player on the team and a plus defender

Poole is faster, but I don't know that I'd call him a plus defender. He has had some lapses this year that have led to some misplayed balls. I haven't seen enough of MacNamee to say whether he is better or not. Neither has an error this year FYI.

msstate7
04-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Poole is faster, but I don't know that I'd call him a plus defender. He has had some lapses this year that have led to some misplayed balls. I haven't seen enough of MacNamee to say whether he is better or not. Neither has an error this year FYI.

Macnamee made a terrific play today... went a long way to catch a foul ball and still got off a bullet throw to keep runner from tagging

HSVDawg
04-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Macnamee made a terrific play today... went a long way to catch a foul ball and still got off a bullet throw to keep runner from tagging

Yep. And really we have to keep in mind that we are talking about corner OF spots only since Mangum has CF locked down. I think that neutralizes Poole's speed advantage a little bit since neither will have to cover as much ground. As long as Mac is a plus runner (which he is), then we'll be fine. Both will definitely be out there whenever Mangum pitches though.

Bothrops
04-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Cannizaro was a tremendous hire. This is understated, too.

confucius say
04-09-2017, 09:25 PM
RP, your point #5 is a good one that I have not seen stated. We have very lil margin for error there. Hopefully Billingsley and ashcraft getting time off now will help.

HSVDawg
04-09-2017, 09:28 PM

Yep. And I think the best thing was that we got to pass a healthy program from one good coach to another. That way the new guy didn't have to start from scratch. When is the last time that happened at MSU in any sport?

99jc
04-09-2017, 09:35 PM
I think if we win the South Carolina series next week we can seriously talk about it but there is no question we are in a good position. The other thing we have to do is not slip up against Valley- we must beat them or it will tank our RPI.

NM

Bothrops
04-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Yep. And I think the best thing was that we got to pass a healthy program from one good coach to another. That way the new guy didn't have to start from scratch. When is the last time that happened at MSU in any sport?

Probably never

Corn Bread
04-09-2017, 09:46 PM
1. What Cann is doing is remarkable. Piecing this line-up and pitching staff together to get SEC wins has been really amazing. Think about this? Our #2 and #3 SEC SP's this weekend were Gordon and Magnum. Henderson gets some outstanding credit for juggling all this as well. Well done

2. Rooker is Superman right now. Making a run at National POY. Best season by a State player since 1985. Maybe ever

3. Need to get Bragg some AB's and sit Belmont some. Bragg's HR today put the game out of reach. We need some more offense. Dont have totally bench Belmont- but he needs to sit some for some Bragg AB's. Poole has been hitting in SEC play- keep him in. Stovall can play 3rd, Brown to 2B, let Mac play some OF and Bragg DH. It wont hurt us any worse than starting a guy hitting .171 in SEC play (7/41) with almost twice as many K's (13) as hits

4. Pilk gives us a chance every Friday. He is a quality arm we absolutely need to stay healthy for this season and beyond. He has alot of money on the table. I'd take the summer off if I'm him

5. I worry about our arms tiring down the stretch because we simply dont have many. We arent a team that can make a run in an SEC Tourney because we are so limited. It's getting hotter now- hope the pitching doesnt wilt.

6. Huge series win. Keeps momentum going headed to SC for a huge series next week. Will be interesting to see where we are at the halfway point come Sunday

Just pay Cann. Let him recruit his team.

maroonmania
04-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Certainly starting to think so. I love Cohen and what he did but if I'm being honest I personally don't think if Cohen was coaching this same team right now that we would be having the same success. And that is not to put Cohen down but just to emphasize how good of a job Cannizaro is doing with what he has left to work with on this team after all of the injuries and suspensions.

HSVDawg
04-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Certainly starting to think so. I love Cohen and what he did but if I'm being honest I personally don't think if Cohen was coaching this same team right now that we would be having the same success. And that is not to put Cohen down but just to emphasize how good of a job Cannizaro is doing with what he has left to work with on this team after all of the injuries and suspensions.

As it relates to Cohen's hypothetical success with this team, it boils down to whether Rooker and Gridley would have made the same jumps in production under Cohen. Also, would Cohen hit Rooker 2nd? Would Cohen have booted Cyr when Cann did? We'll probably never know the answers to those questions. But, a lot of what we've been able to accomplish is due to pitching improvements led by Henderson (who was a Cohen hire). So, Cohen's fingerpints are still present in a lot of places on this team. But that is taking nothing away from Cannizaro who has managed this team about as he possibly could have, and he's also won the locker room immediately.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Yep, I've been saying that for a while on MacNamee and Bragg. My lineup at the moment would be:

1. Mangum, CF
2. Rooker, 1B
3. Grid, SS
4. Cody, 2B
5. MacNamee, LF
6. Bragg, DH
7. Stovall, 3B
8. Lovelady/Skelton, C
9. Poole, RF

And when Luke plays 3B, just move Cody to RF in place of Poole and Stovall back to 2B. Gotta to make MacNamee an everyday guy.

smootness
04-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Yep, I've been saying that for a while on MacNamee and Bragg. My lineup at the moment would be:

1. Mangum, CF
2. Rooker, 1B
3. Grid, SS
4. Cody, 2B
5. MacNamee, LF
6. Bragg, DH
7. Stovall, 3B
8. Lovelady/Skelton, C
9. Poole, RF

And when Luke plays 3B, just move Cody to RF in place of Poole and Stovall back to 2B. Gotta to make MacNamee an everyday guy.

I'm ok with that lineup, and it certainly gives us more pop.

But I personally think it's only a matter of time before Alexander starts hitting more, and Bragg is probably best used in certain matchups. An OF with MacNamee and Cody Brown is not phenomenal defensively, but it should be good enough.

tcdog70
04-10-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm ok with that lineup, and it certainly gives us more pop.

But I personally think it's only a matter of time before Alexander starts hitting more, and Bragg is probably best used in certain matchups. An OF with MacNamee and Cody Brown is not phenomenal defensively, but it should be good enough.

i think Luke will start hitting. The change I would like to see is Stovall behind the plate.

maroonmania
04-10-2017, 11:53 AM
i think Luke will start hitting. The change I would like to see is Stovall behind the plate.

Look, we can't keep Stovall healthy playing at 2nd Base. How long do you think he will last playing the catcher position on a regular basis?

lamont
04-10-2017, 12:52 PM

Richard Williams left Stands an NCAA Tourney talented team that Stands turned into an NIT team his 1st year

HSVDawg
04-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Richard Williams left Stands an NCAA Tourney talented team that Stands turned into an NIT team his 1st year

Haha....what?

1997-1998 team went 15-15 and graduated 3 starters (including our best player in HW) before Stans' first year
1996-1997 team went 12-18

That was not a healthy program and not a soul in the MSU fanbase thought we would be a tourney team in 1998-1999.

smootness
04-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Haha....what?

1997-1998 team went 15-15 and graduated 3 starters (including our best player in HW) before Stans' first year

That was not a healthy program and not a soul in the MSU fanbase thought we would be a tourney team in 1998-1999.

Please don't feed it.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2017, 01:12 PM

I love that move. Dude was an awesome catcher in HS and he looked good in limited duty at C last year.

diamonddawg17
04-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Now that some of the other pen guys such as McQuary, Jolly, Barton, ect are pitching so good I would move Self to Saturday starter then let maybe Cole Gordon start Sunday. I would do away with Jake being a starter.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Now that some of the other pen guys such as McQuary, Jolly, Barton, ect are pitching so good I would move Self to Saturday starter then let maybe Cole Gordon start Sunday. I would do away with Jake being a starter.

Agree. It's time to make that move. If we do make the NCAAT, it will be hard to do much if KP is our only reliable starter. Gotta see if Self can handle it and give us 6 innings. I think he can.

tcdog70
04-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Haha....what?

agenda driven--to get Stans-fans stirred up.

tcdog70
04-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Agree. It's time to make that move. If we do make the NCAAT, it will be hard to do much if KP is our only reliable starter. Gotta see if Self can handle it and give us 6 innings. I think he can.

We want Jake to start so we don't lose His bat.

tcdog70
04-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Look, we can't keep Stovall healthy playing at 2nd Base. How long do you think he will last playing the catcher position on a regular basis?

he was the Alabama player of the year playing catcher. Nobody says he has to catch every game. Stovall got hurt running.

1bigdawg
04-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Haha....what?

Plus, we lost Bullard before the season. I love Bart Hyche, but that is a big drop off.

smootness
04-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Plus, we lost Bullard before the season. I love Bart Hyche, but that is a big drop off.

Technically we lost Bullard before the 96-97 year. The Final 4 game was his last.

Todd4State
04-10-2017, 02:30 PM

Self had some inflammation in his arm earlier in the season. That's why we're not pushing him right now.

Tbonewannabe
04-10-2017, 02:31 PM

1. Mangum, CF
2. Rooker, 1B
3. Grid, SS
4. Cody, 2B
5. MacNamee, LF
6. Bragg, DH
7. Stovall, 3B
8. Lovelady/Skelton, C
9. Poole, RF

I really like this lineup. Unless we have big issues with defense at 3rd, I don't see why Luke still starts. Although Luke getting us Mangum might be worth letting him start by itself. Whatever he does playing is gravy for that recruiting job.

HoopsDawg
04-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Self had some inflammation in his arm earlier in the season. That's why we're not pushing him right now.

Glad there is a legit reason. If that's no longer a concern it's time to make the move don't you think?

HoopsDawg
04-10-2017, 02:33 PM
We want Jake to start so we don't lose His bat.

I understand that, my point is, it's time for his pitching days to be over.

Tbonewannabe
04-10-2017, 02:36 PM

We basically have a similar pitching staff that made the run to the National Title game. We just need a Girodo and Mitchell to emerge. Price is looking similar to Holder and Pilk is a Graveman level ace. We also just have to cobble together innings like that team did.