PDA

View Full Version : New Kicker Commit

DownwardDawg
04-09-2017, 08:37 AM
I'm surprised not to see a thread on this already. We got a commitment from the nations top kicker. I think he deserves his own thread. Welcome to the Bulldog Family!!!!

starkvegasdawg
04-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Saw he was 7-13 on FG's last year with a long of 52 and 36/36 on XP's.

msstate7
04-09-2017, 09:21 AM
Recruiting thread... definetely deserves its own thread though bc he's supposedly one of the best in the country. 7 offers: us, army, Iowa state, Kentucky, Miami, Nebraska, and Rutgers. His name is Evan McPherson

smootness
04-09-2017, 09:25 AM
I love that we're finally going hard after big-time kickers.

Bully13
04-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Let's hope we've got someone to develop him. I think our kicking coaches , not talent has been our problems in this area. Wish we could hire JWS as special teams coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Let's hope we've got someone to develop him. I think our kicking coaches , not talent has been our problems in this area. Wish we could hire JWS as special teams coach.

This farce that sherrill had accurate good kickers has steady grown over the years but it's just not true. He had a couple kickers who made some clutch kicks but they weren't more accurate than Mullen kickers.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-09-2017, 10:10 AM

We've had Chris Boniol for 3 years..

"Chris Boniol is a former professional American football placekicker in the National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles and the Chicago Bears. He won Super Bowl XXX with the Cowboys. In 1996, he tied the NFL record for most field goals in a game with seven. Boniol was an assistant coach for the Dallas Cowboys from 2010 to 2013, and focused on kickers and punters. In 2014, he was hired by the Oakland Raiders as an assistant to special teams coordinator Bobby April"

sleepy dawg
04-09-2017, 10:43 AM
His name is Evan McPherson.

Mjoelner34
04-09-2017, 10:58 AM
This farce that sherrill had accurate good kickers has steady grown over the years but it's just not true. He had a couple kickers who made some clutch kicks but they weren't more accurate than Mullen kickers.

Without looking it up, I would venture to guess that most of their misses were from the 40+ish range vs. having to hold your breath and cross your fingers on chip-shots and xp's.

yjnkdawg
04-09-2017, 10:58 AM

One of our problems was injuries. Coaches can't control those. Chris Boniol is one of the reasons that McPherson committed to us. We also have an Army All American Punter coming in this year, who is also recognized for his kicking ability, Tucker Day. You can also thank Boniol, for helping to get him in the boat. These high schoool kickers and punters know who Chris Boniol is.

shannondawg
04-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Perfect timing after the show our kickers put on yesterday.

Dawgowar
04-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Saw a tweet where a kicker had taken a preferred walk-on offer from us for this season. Had a pic of he and Mullen, think it was sent out Friday.

HSVDawg
04-09-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm surprised not to see a thread on this already. We got a commitment from the nations top kicker. I think he deserves his own thread. Welcome to the Bulldog Family!!!!

Glad to see it. Hopefully he actually pans out....unlike literally every other highly rated kicker recruit we have ever signed.

NCDawg
04-09-2017, 11:54 AM

You're right about that. We used to note how good Sherrill's kickers were coming out of high school, and they seemed to get worse every year.

DownwardDawg
04-09-2017, 11:59 AM

JWS had some very good special teams, and some very bad special teams. He was nothing "special" when it comes to ST play. It's just that Mullen's ST have been bad. Mostly really bad with a few good games sprinkled in.

msbulldog
04-09-2017, 12:04 PM
I question why he was not offered a full ride? We are at least 4 or 5 below 85, with Smokey and Cedric Jiles leaving, we have additional schollies available for 2018.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Jackie Sherrill MSU Kickers

91 Chris Gardner 9/14
92 Chris Gardner 15/27
93 Tom Burke 17/23
94 Tim Rogers 12/20
95 Tim Rogers 5/11 Brian Hazelwood 4/5
96 Brian Hazelwood 8/18
97 Brian Hazelwood 16/26
98 Brian Hazelwood 15/24
99 Scott Westerfield 18/24
00 Scott Westerfield 12/18
01 John Michael Marlin 8/16
02 Brent Smith 16/20
03 Brent Smith 8/10

Dan Mullen MSU Kickers

09 Derek Depasquale 10/12 Sean Brauchle 6/9
10 Derek Depasquale 10/12 Sean Brauchle 3/7
11 Derek Depasquale 12/18
12 Devon Bell 14/21
13 Devon Bell 6/14 Evan Sobiesk 3/6
14 Evan Sobiesk 12/14
15 Westin Graves 15/18
16 Westin Graves 11/19

HSVDawg
04-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Delete

Ifyouonlyknew
04-09-2017, 12:28 PM
I question why he was not offered a full ride? We are at least 4 or 5 below 85, with Smokey and Cedric Jiles leaving, we have additional schollies available for 2018.

We did offer a full ride. He's a 2018 recruit.

HSVDawg
04-09-2017, 12:30 PM
We did offer a full ride. He's a 2018 recruit.

Well, forget what I said then.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-09-2017, 12:30 PM
We are several below 85 for this upcoming 2017 season, but this is a 2018 kid. How many below 85 we are currently means nothing for him. We have a very small senior class leaving after 2017, so it will require some more attrition to get anywhere close to a full class next February. He won't get a full ride unless we miss late on several guys on our wish list. Which, given our track record, is entirely possible.

McPherson is a scholarship guy. He has a full ride. The preferred walk on is a 2017 kid. Daniel Mills #1 kicker in Ohio this past year.

HSVDawg
04-09-2017, 12:32 PM
McPherson is a scholarship guy. He has a full ride. The preferred walk on is a 2017 kid. Daniel Mills #1 kicker in Ohio this past year.

Gotcha.

msbulldog
04-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Not to argue IYOK, but every article I've read on different sites say preferred walkon.

DancingRabbit
04-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Not to argue IYOK, but every article I've read on different sites say preferred walkon.

See the last paragraph.

If McPherson signs with the Bulldogs, he will be their first scholarship kicker since Sean Brauchle did so in the 2009 class.

http://gridironnow.com/evan-mcpherson-nation-no-1-kicker-commits-mississippi-state/

Ifyouonlyknew
04-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Evan McPherson is a scholarship kicker in the 2018 class. Daniel Mills is a preferred walk on for the 2017 class.

msbulldog
04-09-2017, 01:05 PM
OK

blacklistedbully
04-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Though I don't recall the circumstances of 1996, the only year JWS had a kicker under .500, or any other season that wasn't great....I do recall our kickers under Mullen missing chip-shot-after-chip-shot, and so many xpt's.

I don't recall getting to the point under JWS where I'd scream at my TV for him to not attempt a 30-yard FG.....even on 4th and long. I do have that somewhat fresh in my mind under Dan.

It's one thing for a kicker to miss half his FG's if most of those misses are near or over 50 yards. It's another if a larger % are what most teams would consider automatic.

Let's also not forget a few of those "makes" under Dan were chip-shots that clanged in off the upright, or came close. We have had some big-time choke jobs and head cases.

sleepy dawg
04-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Though I don't recall the circumstances of 1996, the only year JWS had a kicker under .500, or any other season that wasn't great....I do recall our kickers under Mullen missing chip-shot-after-chip-shot, and so many xpt's.

I don't recall getting to the point under JWS where I'd scream at my TV for him to not attempt a 30-yard FG.....even on 4th and long. I do have that somewhat fresh in my mind under Dan.

It's one thing for a kicker to miss half his FG's if most of those misses are near or over 50 yards. It's another if a larger % are what most teams would consider automatic.

Let's also not forget a few of those "makes" under Dan were chip-shots that clanged in off the upright, or came close. We have had some big-time choke jobs and head cases.

Kicking under JWS:
63.67%

Kicking under CDM:
68%

If we went 0/10 kicking this year, CDM would still have a higher % than JWS.
Now, does this tell the whole story? No, it never does, but to try to say JWS kicking was way better than CDM's seems like a bit of a stretch.

Edited to Add:
After comparing the 2 MSU coaches stats, I really don't see many areas where CDM hasn't been better than JWS. Defense is the only one I see.
*Sorry for the double off topic.

blacklistedbully
04-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Kicking under JWS:
63.67%

Kicking under CDM:
68%

If we went 0/10 kicking this year, CDM would still have a higher % than JWS.
Now, does this tell the whole story? No, it never does, but to try to say JWS kicking was way better than CDM's seems like a bit of a stretch.

I didn't. Read again. I said I don't recall us having so many missed chip-shots and xpt's, and that I don't recall literally yelling at my TV set at a coach for attempting a short FG when I & everyone else watching KNEW we were gonna miss it.

I'll add this as well....I can't recall I period where we missed so many clutch, game-deciding FG's as we have recently. That said, a lot of the sour taste is due to that 2-year strectch in particular, surrounded by other years that were pretty poor.

Reason2succeed
04-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Keep JWS away from kickoff and punt returns. "Block in the back number ?? Of the receiving team" is burnt into my memory.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-09-2017, 08:34 PM
I didn't. Read again. I said I don't recall us having so many missed chip-shots and xpt's, and that I don't recall literally yelling at my TV set at a coach for attempting a short FG when I & everyone else watching KNEW we were gonna miss it.

I'll add this as well....I can't recall I period where we missed so many clutch, game-deciding FG's as we have recently. That said, a lot of the sour taste is due to that 2-year strectch in particular, surrounded by other years that were pretty poor.

my grandpa can't recall what he ate for breakfast this morning but that doesn't mean he didn't have sausage, a fried egg & biscuits w/ peanut butter & molasses (I'd bet the farm on it)

Maroons
04-10-2017, 09:55 AM
It's just that Mullen's ST have been bad. Mostly really bad with a few good games sprinkled in.

You can't make a general statement like that if you're actually paying attention.

Our kicker had a hurt back all last year. The year before, when he was healthy, he was lights out.

Are we going to conveniently forget about the kicks we've blocked over the last few years? Or the rock solid punting and coverage? Or the improvement in the number of touchbacks on kickoffs?

The narrative that all Mullen's special teams are bad is just false.

smootness
04-10-2017, 10:19 AM

So you admit in the first sentence that you don't remember any of JWS' bad years...and then simply point out further that you don't remember anything from Sherrill's tenure like Mullen's.

Perhaps that is because for a good chunk of Sherrill's tenure, we weren't good? And most of it was 20+ year ago? So we just weren't paying close attention and then forgot?

Mullen's teams are, on average, much better than Sherrill's. So it makes sense we're going to harp on special teams under Mullen more than we did under Sherrill.

IMissJack
04-10-2017, 05:15 PM
JWS had some very good special teams, and some very bad special teams. He was nothing "special" when it comes to ST play. It's just that Mullen's ST have been bad. Mostly really bad with a few good games sprinkled in.

I think also, Mullen's offenses and QB's have allowed him to score more TD's, while Sherrill probably had to rely on good D and try a bigger percentage of FG's, in lower scoring games.

blacklistedbully
04-11-2017, 12:33 AM
So you admit in the first sentence that you don't remember any of JWS' bad years...and then simply point out further that you don't remember anything from Sherrill's tenure like Mullen's.

Perhaps that is because for a good chunk of Sherrill's tenure, we weren't good? And most of it was 20+ year ago? So we just weren't paying close attention and then forgot?

Mullen's teams are, on average, much better than Sherrill's. So it makes sense we're going to harp on special teams under Mullen more than we did under Sherrill.

Dude...Your first sentence is complete garbage. I think it's pretty clear I'm saying I don't recall a JWS team with a FG kicker who would routinely miss chip-shot FG's, and on the ones they made, have a few barely sneak inside the upright. I say I don't recall because that is something that would seem memorable.

I don't think I'll ever forget how ridiculously bad we were a couple years under Mullen, and how it seems we haven't been even average more than 1 year.

I'm saying comparing conversion % is stupid because it does not account for the distance/difficulty of kicks. We have had kickers here under Mullen that have been more likely to miss a 20-yarder than make one. That's not the same as a kicker being just wide on 45+ yard attempts.

We have had kickers under Mullen who we DAMN WELL KNEW were going to miss the PAT. Did we really have that under JWS?

I never insinuated we were better overall under JWS. All I've commented on is how comically bad much of our kicking has been under Dan.