PDA

View Full Version : New Baseball Commit. Dustin Skelton from Magnolia Heights. Class of 2016.

Jacksondevildog
09-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Cohen tweeted out that today was an exciting day for the future of the program. Anyone have any info on this guy?

Thick
09-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Potential stud pitcher, if I'm not mistaken.

Thick
09-12-2013, 06:24 PM
My bad, he's a catcher

MsStateBaseball
09-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Interesting that he tweeted that statement. I doubt he was talking just about Skelton. Must be something else he was excited about.

Thick
09-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Interesting that he tweeted that statement. I doubt he was talking just about Skelton. Must be something else he was excited about.

What do you think it could be....any idea?

bobcat91
09-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Not to get anyone's hopes up but he did tweet about Janet Marie Smith I believe being interviewed by Rick Cleveland on MPB. Also the foul area is getting artificial grass put down.
He called Her a great Mississippian.

engie
09-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Noticed that too, bobcat...

I know we've had her assess Dudy noble a year or two ago

Todd4State
09-12-2013, 06:56 PM
He's a catcher that has been on the varsity since he was in 8th grade. His team went 38-0 and had MSU commits Jacob Billingsley and Riley Self on it and Skelton hit .411 for them as a freshman. He's already 5'11" 140 and will get bigger I'm sure. He's another Dulin's Dodgers guy.

MsStateBaseball
09-12-2013, 07:04 PM
I bet they are getting new architectural plans for Dudy. Maybe a big time recruit secret commit.

messageboardsuperhero
09-12-2013, 07:04 PM
He's a catcher that has been on the varsity since he was in 8th grade. His team went 38-0 and had MSU commits Jacob Billingsley and Riley Self on it and Skelton hit .411 for them as a freshman. He's already 5'11" 140 and will get bigger I'm sure. He's another Dulin's Dodgers guy.

We're raiding that travel team. Didn't UM used to get a lot of those guys? They might still do, but I remember more of them going to UM before our recent upswing. I know the coach's son is going there.

Todd4State
09-12-2013, 07:20 PM
We're raiding that travel team. Didn't UM used to get a lot of those guys? They might still do, but I remember more of them going to UM before our recent upswing. I know the coach's son is going there.

Yes, and Ole Miss will also continue to get their share from them as well.

Dulin's has a very good reputation in the Memphis area and they are going to attract top flight talent. It's just that a lot of MSU guys have been playing for them lately and it's just one of those things. At the same time, Grae Kessinger plays for them and I doubt we get him even if we won the National Title and Ole Miss makes him walk-on. Baseball recruiting is a LOT more clean than football recruiting though. I don't think Ole Miss wants to get into a bidding war with the Yankees.

Baseball in Mississippi has some shifts every five years or so. Like, five years ago the Pine Belt was really strong. Now in the Memphis area, DeSoto Central has Riley and James, Magnolia Heights in Senatobia is very good, Luke Alexander is at Belmont, and then Jake Mangum and Noah Hughes are from Jackson and they all know each other. So, it seems like the North has the edge right now.

Tim Dulin who runs the Dodgers played for Memphis, but from what I have heard he is more of an ally to Ole Miss than State. But, like I said- baseball players aren't like football players. If they grew up a State fan, we're probably going to get them regardless unless we just don't offer. Our recent success is going to help us out a lot and I also think that these rumors about it possibly being Bianco's last year could hurt them a lot as well. Not to mention Bianco's reputation for wearing pitchers out vs. Butch's reputation with guys like Chris Stratton and Jonathan Holder and others.

smootness
09-12-2013, 07:39 PM
But, like I said- baseball players aren't like football players. If they grew up a State fan, we're probably going to get them regardless unless we just don't offer. Our recent success is going to help us out a lot and I also think that these rumors about it possibly being Bianco's last year could hurt them a lot as well. Not to mention Bianco's reputation for wearing pitchers out vs. Butch's reputation with guys like Chris Stratton and Jonathan Holder and others.

Well, the funny thing is, Skelton grew up an Ole Miss fan.

If Cohen stays here 10-15+ years, and there's really no reason for him not to, we will absolutely own this state and probably a decent amount of the southeast.

Todd4State
09-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Well, the funny thing is, Skelton grew up an Ole Miss fan.

If Cohen stays here 10-15+ years, and there's really no reason for him not to, we will absolutely own this state and probably a decent amount of the southeast.

Yes, I saw that and it surprised me. And this quote from him caught my eye as well.

. "One of the main differences between State and Ole Miss are the coaches.

"Coach Cohen and Coach Mingione just made me feel comfortable and like they wanted me to be a part of their program.

"There's really no comparison."

THAT coming from an Ole Miss fan in very interesting to say the least. As far as Mississippi you are correct about us owning the state. For 2015, we have the top three prospects committed and four out of the top five, and from what I am hearing the one that isn't committed is leaning to MSU. And now we have two of the top prospects for 2016 committed.

MsStateBaseball
09-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Look at rosters. OM isn't overly concerned w Ms kids. We have a few more than they do. They want Memphis area kids and Florida. When they come to DNF for Super Weekend, they will understand who the baseball school is.

smootness
09-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Look at rosters. OM isn't overly concerned w Ms kids. We have a few more than they do. They want Memphis area kids and Florida. When they come to DNF for Super Weekend, they will understand who the baseball school is.

And we'll start taking the Memphis and Florida players, too. Swinarski is from FL. Cohen is building a monster.

CadaverDawg
09-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Exactly, and isn't it fun to finally have a program with some swagger again. This is OUR MF'ing State in baseball. Period.

Todd4State
09-12-2013, 09:34 PM

I wouldn't say that they aren't overly concerned with Mississippi kids as much as they just aren't getting them like they used to. We beat them out for Stratton, Renfroe, Woodruff, Holder, Vance Tatum, Reid Humphries, Lindgren, Luke Alexander, Austin Riley, Jake Mangum, Keegan James, Riley Self, and now Dustin Skelton. I can't remember is Wes Rea had an offer from them or not. About 3-4 of those guys I mentioned had some Ole Miss ties to them.

Memphis is always going to be hard for anyone to dominate. You have to contend with MSU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and Memphis.

Bianco has a lot of ties to Louisiana- and Ole Miss has always gone down there and pulled a few players like Stuart Turner. Cliff Godwin has ties to Florida as you mentioned.

KB21
09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't say that they aren't overly concerned with Mississippi kids as much as they just aren't getting them like they used to. We beat them out for Stratton, Renfroe, Woodruff, Holder, Vance Tatum, Reid Humphries, Lindgren, Luke Alexander, Austin Riley, Jake Mangum, Keegan James, Riley Self, and now Dustin Skelton. I can't remember is Wes Rea had an offer from them or not. About 3-4 of those guys I mentioned had some Ole Miss ties to them.

Memphis is always going to be hard for anyone to dominate. You have to contend with MSU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and Memphis.

Bianco has a lot of ties to Louisiana- and Ole Miss has always gone down there and pulled a few players like Stuart Turner. Cliff Godwin has ties to Florida as you mentioned.

Cohen seems to be using Butch's connections in Georgia and Alabama as well. We seem to be recruiting well in those areas, and Georgia is a place I've always said we should be trying to tap into. Where Mississippi may have 3-4 legitimate draft pick options on a year to year basis, Georgia probably has 30-40.

TheRef
09-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I saw this kid this past year when they played Washington in the State Championship series. He was picking off guys at second like it was going out of style. Washington was a very well built team. MHS was just so much better. They did not fail to meet expectations. He has some fairly good power at the plate, also.

AlSwearengen
09-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Don't forget Zach Houston. I told Todd about what the parents thought of bianco and his staff (as well as other players parents). The story told to me was that bianco wants players to commit on site once they visit and put alot of pressure on them to do so. They act like if olemiss offers you, then you should get down on hands and knees and say thanks to whatever god that they would offer you a scholie. Whereas Cohen tells recruits who want to commit to take another day and make sure. One thing we can't bitch about with Cohen and staff is that they can't recruit.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-13-2013, 10:03 AM
My former high school has turned into a baseball powerhouse. :cool:

mjh94
09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Dulin's kid plays for Ole Miss, too.

Yes, and Ole Miss will also continue to get their share from them as well.

Dulin's has a very good reputation in the Memphis area and they are going to attract top flight talent. It's just that a lot of MSU guys have been playing for them lately and it's just one of those things. At the same time, Grae Kessinger plays for them and I doubt we get him even if we won the National Title and Ole Miss makes him walk-on. Baseball recruiting is a LOT more clean than football recruiting though. I don't think Ole Miss wants to get into a bidding war with the Yankees.

Baseball in Mississippi has some shifts every five years or so. Like, five years ago the Pine Belt was really strong. Now in the Memphis area, DeSoto Central has Riley and James, Magnolia Heights in Senatobia is very good, Luke Alexander is at Belmont, and then Jake Mangum and Noah Hughes are from Jackson and they all know each other. So, it seems like the North has the edge right now.

Tim Dulin who runs the Dodgers played for Memphis, but from what I have heard he is more of an ally to Ole Miss than State. But, like I said- baseball players aren't like football players. If they grew up a State fan, we're probably going to get them regardless unless we just don't offer. Our recent success is going to help us out a lot and I also think that these rumors about it possibly being Bianco's last year could hurt them a lot as well. Not to mention Bianco's reputation for wearing pitchers out vs. Butch's reputation with guys like Chris Stratton and Jonathan Holder and others.