PDA

View Full Version : Ashton Shumpert

MarketingBully01
09-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Could Ashton Shumpert turn into a J.J. Johnson style back? As a true freshman he already is at 212. If he put 10-15 more pounds on, he would be unstoppable back there. The announcers compared him to Trent Richardson on Saturday. Either comparison tells me this kid is special. When do you think he will rise to the top of the rotation? A Perkins/Shumpert combination would be a good change of pace. What do you guys think?

bocfarm
09-12-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't think we a whole lot of him this season but I think he and JRob will be the main two RB's next season

Coach34
09-12-2013, 04:40 PM
JRob is averaging 8 yards per carry his last 3 games- why dont we give him 15 carries and see what happens?

We dont anybody else that is going to average 8 ypc

Political Hack
09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
I like the Gurley comparison a lot more. I don't think he's as talented as Gurley, but his top end is good enough to be an NFL feature back.

msstate7
09-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I like the Gurley comparison a lot more. I don't think he's as talented as Gurley, but his top end is good enough to be an NFL feature back.

If shump becomes 80% the player gurley is I'll be happy

RougeDawg
09-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I was thinking he resembled TJ Yeldon in his running form. Tall but thick. All of these RB's mentioned in here aren't bad comparisons. I think he will be special. We seem to have a handful of capable backs on the roster right now. For Shump to play as a true Freshman means Dan thinks there's a chance he doesn't stay more than 3 years.

BHildreth3
09-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Too early to have this convo

PMDawg
09-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Too early to have this convo

Thank you. Lets see him play in an SEC game or two first.

Pollodawg
09-12-2013, 06:52 PM
It is too early for this. ^ And if we don't see him much this season, I will be pissed. Why would we burn a redshirt for games against the Alcorn States of the world?

Coach34
09-12-2013, 06:59 PM
It is too early for this. ^ And if we don't see him much this season, I will be pissed. Why would we burn a redshirt for games against the Alcorn States of the world?

Either because he didnt want to redshirt or Mullen thinks he can be our 3rd best back. If you expect Shump to get over 50 carries this year you are kidding yourself

I'll repeat- JRob has averaged 8 ypc the last 3 games and he cant even get 10 carries in a game

Crystal Balls
09-12-2013, 06:59 PM
I believe Aston finishes his career as one of MSU's greatest backs. Just a feeling i have. Hope its right. Dude has potential to be legendary.

RougeDawg
09-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I say that us even being able to have this debate/discussion is a great sign. We are finally starting to obtain, hold on to, and build depth with talented players at multiple positions. The W total this year probably wont reflect that but those of us who have kept up with the development, the future is bright. The only position we don't have the adequate talent/depth is OL, and that's the most important position on the field. Hopefully some young guys can step it up, and the JUCO guys aren't complete busts.

Political Hack
09-12-2013, 07:22 PM
it's never too early to talk about too end potential!!! if it was, recruiting sites wouldn't exist.

Shump and JRob could both be solid NFL players IMO.

Bamboo
09-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I believe Aston finishes his career as one of MSU's greatest backs. Just a feeling i have. Hope its right. Dude has potential to be legendary.

I agree with this. Shumpert was at one time as a junior the number one running back on ESPN recruiting.

msstate7
09-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I agree with this. Shumpert was at one time as a junior the number one running back on ESPN recruiting.

Could be but he'll battle jrob and aeris for carries his whole career. He may be one of our best, but I doubt his numbers are our best bc of competition

RougeDawg
09-12-2013, 08:02 PM
it's never too early to talk about too end potential!!! if it was, recruiting sites wouldn't exist.

Shump and JRob could both be solid NFL players IMO.

This is exactly why we need to incorporate some type of 2-3 back sets, possibly putting one in motion. When Dan first got here, it seemed like we had some type of motion/shift on 75% of plays or more. There's been a steady decline and now its almost extinct in our offense. We line up and run the play from same set we lines up in.

smootness
09-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Could be but he'll battle jrob and aeris for carries his whole career. He may be one of our best, but I doubt his numbers are our best bc of competition

He and Aeris should split carries, yes. But I think Shumpert will start getting the majority of carries next year. I don't think Robinson will ever be our #1 back.

BeastMan
09-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Ive said this over and over. If he's good enough to get on the field, you get him on there. No idea why our fans are so infatuated with redshirting. Folks were pissed he played. RB is a position where you can easily get 2 injuries and next thing you know he's in the rotation. What if the you lose 2 RBs in game 8 and he is then thrust into playing? Thats burning a RS. Feed him carries all year long to develop him and let him play ST. That is in no way a waste.

For reference, LSU started a true freshman last year putting 2 guys that were drafted on the bench. Not a one of their boards bitched about "burning a rs". You really never know. He is a cpl plays away from being 1 of our feature backs.

Coach34
09-12-2013, 08:28 PM
I wanted to redshirt him because he doesnt give us anything AS A TRUE FRESHMAN that we dont get from RB's we already have. And he doesnt

When we have a RB averaging 8 ypc and we dont play him-no need to bring in others. Perkins will play unless hurt

Coach34
09-12-2013, 08:35 PM
we average around 30 carries per game over the last 4-5...

Perkins is going to get 15-17
JRob is going to get 5-6...

That leaves 7-8 carries between Shump, Griff, and Milton

msstate7
09-12-2013, 08:38 PM

That leaves 7-8 carries between Shump, Griff, and Milton

I wish LP got 10-12 touches a game. I wish 6-8 of those were catches

BeastMan
09-12-2013, 08:45 PM
"Something we're not already getting"

LSU could have used that same theor to RS Hill. Bama could have done the same with Yeldon.

I'm approaching this on a few ideals. #1 He's plain good enough to be out there & earned it #2 Coaches think he's really special & will only be here 4 years period. Meaning if he were to RS, he could go pro after his Jr year. #3 He's got the upper end talent the others don't have & can develop into our starter this year

I'm not upset about him playing at all. The way our staff RS's the hell out of everybody, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Coach34
09-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Oh, let me add something else to this:

That leaves 7-8 carries between Shump, Griff, and Milton AND PRESCOTT

War Machine Dawg
09-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Nailed it, Coach. What we *should* do is flip J-Rob & Perk's carries. But Dan is damn loyal to his SRs, so we'll suffer just like last season when it comes to running the ball inside. There's just no good reason for J-Rob to not be our #1 RB and Shump not to redshirt. Especially when Dak takes over at some point this season, further depleting carries for the RBs.

smootness
09-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I don't think it's that he's loyal to his seniors. I think he's just very wary of moving a guy out of a role he's put him in.

Obviously we've had plenty of upperclassmen who didn't play much or didn't have a big role, but they were all guys who never had a big role. And he's pushed young guys into starting spots before (Cox, Boyd, Banks, Bumphis, Chris Jones, McKinney, etc.); I just can't remember many guys who became starters and then lost that job at some point. So once Perkins took over for Ballard last year, he's been the guy. And once Russell became the guy, he wasn't going to bench him. I think it's good to be somewhat hesitant to demote guys, but it obviously can be done to a fault.

I wish we would use Perkins in different ways than we currently do and have someone else take the majority of the straight-up runs, but he just seems reluctant to make any kind of move that could be contrued as a demotion.

preachermatt83
09-13-2013, 01:26 PM
JRob and Griffin are by far our best YPC backs. They should receive the majority of the snaps. Both are better than LP. So is Shump and Holloway. Lp and Milton should be 5/6 on depth chart. I agree with what someone said earlier. We have got to start running multi back sets. Remember auburn with Cadillac and brown??

Barking 13
09-13-2013, 01:49 PM
JRob and Griffin are by far our best YPC backs. They should receive the majority of the snaps. Both are better than LP. So is Shump and Holloway. Lp and Milton should be 5/6 on depth chart. I agree with what someone said earlier. We have got to start running multi back sets. Remember auburn with Cadillac and brown??

I've been screaming this for a couple years now...

chef dixon
09-13-2013, 04:29 PM

Don't know why everyone is ready to throw Perkins into the dumpster. Ok, he shouldn't be a 20carry/game stud but the dude can play some ball

hacker
09-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Lp [...] should be 5[...] on depth chart.

are you serious with this? hahaha

Coach34
09-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Perkins is listed as a 3rd-4th round draft pick- we just need to use him the way the instructions say on the box...and JRob needs double-digit carries

CadaverDawg
09-13-2013, 05:23 PM

This^ is just silly.

JRob would be a better every down back than Perk, but to act like Perkins is a bad RB is ridiculous. And to say he is worse than Holloway is a slap in the man's face. Perkins has done a helluva job considering his head coach is not using him correctly. Perkins should be used on 3rd downs/passing downs and occasionally in the option game.

And I agree with WMD or whoever the poster above was that said Dan is way too loyal to seniors. It's only certain ones though. I'm almost as concerned with his senior bullshit as I am with our lack of creativity on offense. I'm sick of watching this failed version of the Russell/Perkins show every damn week. It's time to quit worrying about what age these guys are, and start playing your best guys. We should be seeing Dak and JRob on 1st and 2nd down, and then Dak and Perk on 3rd down. And I don't have a problem mixing Perk in on SOME 2nd down spots, but he does not need to be running between the tackles unless it is a surprise draw play occasionally.

KB21
09-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Perkins may not be a Vick Ballard type of runner, but he's also a lot stronger runner inside than Chris Rainey or Jeff Demps were at Florida. He's not the reason we struggle running the ball inside. The biggest reason for that struggle is that we lack the running threat at quarterback when Tyler is playing, and to compound things, we haven't been blocking well up front.

About the 30 carries per game thing, if we ever get back to the way this offense is supposed to be run, those 30 carries a game should become 45+ carries a game, and as a result, there will be plenty of carries to dish out between Perkins, Robinson, Shumpert, Prescott, Holloway, and Griffin.

In 2010, MSU averaged 48 rush attempts a game.

War Machine Dawg
09-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Perkins may not be a Vick Ballard type of runner, but he's also a lot stronger runner inside than Chris Rainey or Jeff Demps were at Florida. He's not the reason we struggle running the ball inside. The biggest reason for that struggle is that we lack the running threat at quarterback when Tyler is playing, and to compound things, we haven't been blocking well up front.

About the 30 carries per game thing, if we ever get back to the way this offense is supposed to be run, those 30 carries a game should become 45+ carries a game, and as a result, there will be plenty of carries to dish out between Perkins, Robinson, Shumpert, Prescott, Holloway, and Griffin.

In 2010, MSU averaged 48 rush attempts a game.

Excellent stuff, KB. You're spot on with this. Until we have an inside run threat, whether it's Dak, J-Rob, Shump, or someone else, we'll struggle running the ball. That's the kind of post and fact that make ED the best State board, imo. Interesting that we had so many more rushing attempts in 2010.

And preachermatt: I love Perk. He's a hell of a player. He just isn't an every down, between the tackles back. There's no shame in that. If we'd use him correctly, he'd be even better than he is now. You're nuts if you think he's our 5th-6th best back. He'd be an absolute beast if we used him as the "super athlete" that does a little bit of everything.

KB21
09-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Excellent stuff, KB. You're spot on with this. Until we have an inside run threat, whether it's Dak, J-Rob, Shump, or someone else, we'll struggle running the ball. That's the kind of post and fact that make ED the best State board, imo. Interesting that we had so many more rushing attempts in 2010.

And preachermatt: I love Perk. He's a hell of a player. He just isn't an every down, between the tackles back. There's no shame in that. If we'd use him correctly, he'd be even better than he is now. You're nuts if you think he's our 5th-6th best back. He'd be an absolute beast if we used him as the "super athlete" that does a little bit of everything.

I also think you are short changing him if you think he is just an outside the tackles runner. LaDarius is great at running the counter play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olxo2oTEoQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dypv6LZEraA

CadaverDawg
09-13-2013, 10:32 PM
I also think you are short changing him if you think he is just an outside the tackles runner. LaDarius is great at running the counter play.

Nothing about that second video says "between the tackles". Those were all runs he bounced outside. And for every video you have of a good run up the middle, there are 20 of him getting stuffed on the same play. I love Perk, but he is not a every down back.

I will say this though....with a Relf or Dak at QB, Perkins could be a much better every down back because not everybody in the stadium would know he is getting it every time we run the ball. The whole idea of the zone read is to actually READ the play. We don't do that though, we just hand it off 40 out of every 41 times we run it because we have a statue with cinder block feet at QB. It is what it is.

Maroonthirteen
09-13-2013, 10:43 PM
The most interesting man in the world missed a tackle once.... Ashton Shumpert was running the ball.

War Machine Dawg
09-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Nothing about that second video says "between the tackles". Those were all runs he bounced outside. And for every video you have of a good run up the middle, there are 20 of him getting stuffed on the same play. I love Perk, but he is not a every down back.

I will say this though....with a Relf or Dak at QB, Perkins could be a much better every down back because not everybody in the stadium would know he is getting it every time we run the ball. The whole idea of the zone read is to actually READ the play. We don't do that though, we just hand it off 40 out of every 41 times we run it because we have a statue with cinder block feet at QB. It is what it is.

Completely agree, Cadaver. Perk will never be a power back, but he doesn't have to be. He's an explosive, playmaking mismatch that's too fast for the LBs and too strong for the DBs when he's used correctly.

ETA: Also notice it was Relf, not Russell, at QB in vid 2. About half their guys were watching Relf on that play.