PDA

View Full Version : Tebow homers 1st at bat in the minors

Bully13
04-07-2017, 06:38 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/04/06/tim-tebow-home-run-first-minor-league-at-bat/100147094

Cool shit

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Good for him. He still has zero chance to make the majors but he can do what he wants.

dawgday166
04-07-2017, 06:56 AM
Dan is a helluva hitting coach ****

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2017, 06:59 AM
I personallyklike Tebow as a person but I hope we don'teget an article on every hit. He is strong but he is also hitting below the mendozza line.

msstate7
04-07-2017, 07:07 AM
I personallyklike Tebow as a person but I hope we don'teget an article on every hit. He is strong but he is also hitting below the mendozza line.

Opening day... he's .200/.200/.800. He was under .200 in ST, but had no business being there.

BB30
04-07-2017, 08:23 AM
I am one of the few that actually think he deserved the opportunity. The guy has some tools to work with. He is already a better product than a lot of players that get the same opportunity and he hasn't played in ten years. Does he make the show probably not, was he talented enough to get an opportunity to work and improve his game absolutely. It is a low risk/high reward situation.

missouridawg
04-07-2017, 08:34 AM
I didn't verify this, but I believe the pitcher who gave up the jack was pick 666 in the 2015 draft. I read this on the twitters

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2017, 08:43 AM
I am one of the few that actually think he deserved the opportunity. The guy has some tools to work with. He is already a better product than a lot of players that get the same opportunity and he hasn't played in ten years. Does he make the show probably not, was he talented enough to get an opportunity to work and improve his game absolutely. It is a low risk/high reward situation.

It is more a publicity stunt than anything but it is working. It was one of the main articles on the front page of ESPN. It is a free country, if Tebow wants to try then good for him. He is taking an opportunity away from another player but in reality if that player is getting beat out by Tebow then he doesn't have much chance of making it either.

Bully13
04-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Tebow haters either suck at life or place too much emphasis on sports.

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2017, 09:01 AM
Tebow haters either suck at life or place too much emphasis on sports.

I think a lot of people just like to tear down good people which Tebow seems to be. I think a lot of people think if Tebow really just wanted to compete in sports then he would be a starting TE somewhere in the NFL. I guess it would be hard to be THE QB your whole life and reach your goal and be told you no longer will lead the team. Not sure if it is pure ego or his love for the game was killed dealing with it. He seems like he is happy so I am not going to put him down. Life is too short to do crap you hate.

Bubb Rubb
04-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Here's the problem. If his name isn't Tim Tebow, he doesn't get the opportunity. The move was made to put asses in seats, period. How many minor leaguers have press conferences after games?

I respect the guy and admire his character. But we gotta be honest about why he's where he is.

smootness
04-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Here's the problem. If his name isn't Tim Tebow, he doesn't get the opportunity. The move was made to put asses in seats, period. How many minor leaguers have press conferences after games?

I respect the guy and admire his character. But we gotta be honest about why he's where he is.

Is that really a problem, though? If the Mets are ok doing it, then who really cares? Sports is a business, the only reason any of it exists at this level is because it makes money. Tebow is making money.

shoeless joe
04-07-2017, 10:30 AM
These same folks complaining about tebow getting this opportunity...were they also whining about MJ getting the exact same opportunity for the exact same reasons?

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2017, 10:36 AM
These same folks complaining about tebow getting this opportunity...were they also whining about MJ getting the exact same opportunity for the exact same reasons?

I think if message boards were as prevalent, yes they would have. It doesn't matter because sports are entertainment. The whole point is to sell tickets and products so if they are selling Tebow jerseys and putting butts in the seats then they are doing their job. You think the most important thing is winning but it doesn't matter if you are losing money. Florida Marlins spent a bunch of money and won the World Series but now they are back to the bottom because it wasn't financially feasible. Winning didn't offset the cost.

The Federalist Engineer
04-07-2017, 12:11 PM

I would be willing to wager that Tebow Haters are Kapernick Lovers - and I think Kap is human waste, so there you go

Johnson85
04-07-2017, 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure MJ did get criticized for the same reason.

It's pretty stupid though. Minor league baseball is for the most part a money losing venture. Some minor league teams make good money, but I'm not sure how many of them would if MLB didn't cover the personnel and scouting costs. They are there to be a farm league for the majors and rely on things other than people just wanting to watch minor league players play. So every time a Tebow or MJ type player brings in crowd, they are helping way more minor league players than the one marginal prospect who didn't get a roster spot, by bringing in more money for minor league teams.

BB30
04-07-2017, 02:02 PM

You do realize people Tebow's age get the same exact opportunity just about every year it just isn't all over the TV. He didn't take some other players spot. I assure you he didn't take some future for sure big leaguer's roster spot. You can argue all you want but the guy has some tools to work with. Had he played college baseball instead of football he would have more than likely been drafted or given a FA deal. You don't find guys his size with his speed. He also has some raw power that a lot of college kids do not have. Time will tell. He has improved defensively since starting back and has shown that he can handle some velocity. Heck I played with a guy in the minors who was also a S for UW, got drafted and did both knowing good and well baseball was not in his future. He is now in the NFL. He did not have but 1 or 2 hits in rookie ball. Happens every year. At least with Tebow you know you are getting a guy that is going to bust his butt for you and be a good guy in the locker room for younger players. Former big league coaches/players kids get drafted all the time and a lot of them have no business getting an opportunity over someone else. Just part of it

sleepy dawg
04-07-2017, 02:57 PM
I'm sure it wasn't setup***

Mutt the Hoople
04-08-2017, 06:41 AM
You do realize people Tebow's age get the same exact opportunity just about every year it just isn't all over the TV. He didn't take some other players spot. I assure you he didn't take some future for sure big leaguer's roster spot. You can argue all you want but the guy has some tools to work with. Had he played college baseball instead of football he would have more than likely been drafted or given a FA deal. You don't find guys his size with his speed. He also has some raw power that a lot of college kids do not have. Time will tell. He has improved defensively since starting back and has shown that he can handle some velocity. Heck I played with a guy in the minors who was also a S for UW, got drafted and did both knowing good and well baseball was not in his future. He is now in the NFL. He did not have but 1 or 2 hits in rookie ball. Happens every year. At least with Tebow you know you are getting a guy that is going to bust his butt for you and be a good guy in the locker room for younger players. Former big league coaches/players kids get drafted all the time and a lot of them have no business getting an opportunity over someone else. Just part of it

Mike Piazza was drafted as a favor from Tommy Lasorda to Mike Piazza's dad, in the 62nd round. Piazza developed into one of the best-hitting catchers of all time.

msstate7
04-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Yesterday, 1-5
Season, .200/.200./.500

Reason2succeed
04-08-2017, 07:27 AM
I would be willing to wager that Tebow Haters are Kapernick Lovers - and I think Kap is human waste, so there you go

You'd probably be wrong but that wouldn't be a first either.***

Tebow is what Tebow is: a hyper-competitive lightning rod personality who like Kaepernic don't care what others think of him. I can respect both of them because they kneel for what they believe in.

Substitute Tebow for hero and here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcASV2sey0&feature=share

msstate7
04-08-2017, 07:36 AM
You'd probably be wrong but that wouldn't be a first either.

Tebow is what Tebow is: a hyper-competitive lightning rod personality who like Kaepernic don't care what others think of him. I can respect both of them because they kneel for what they believe in.

Substitute Tebow for hero me here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcASV2sey0&feature=share

Didn't kaep say he'd stand for anthem this coming year? Somehow I don't think tebow would renounce his beliefs to try and get signed

Bully13
04-08-2017, 07:38 AM
Mike Piazza was drafted as a favor from Tommy Lasorda to Mike Piazza's dad, in the 62nd round. Piazza developed into one of the best-hitting catchers of all time.

Damn. Never heard that. Thanks.

Reason2succeed
04-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Didn't kaep say he'd stand for anthem this coming year? Somehow I don't think tebow would renounce his beliefs to try and get signed

Who said Kaep renounced his beliefs? His kneeling for the national anthem was a protest against police brutality. He no longer needs to kneel for people to know that he is against police brutality. If Tebow stopped kneeling after TDs I wouldn't say he no longer believed in God.

msstate7
04-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Who said Kaep renounced his beliefs? His kneeling for the national anthem was a protest against police brutality. He no longer needs to kneel for people to know that he is against police brutality. If Tebow stopped kneeling after TDs I wouldn't say he no longer believed in God.

Yeah, it was just a coincidence he announced he'd no longer kneel for anthem once he knew he wouldn't be in the most liberal NFL city anymore

BayouDawg
04-08-2017, 10:45 AM

This! Tebow and Kap have a similar windup when they throw a football. But it was only a problem for tebow per the "experts"

sleepy dawg
04-08-2017, 10:48 AM
This! Tebow and Kap have a similar windup when they throw a football. But it was only a problem for tebow per the "experts"

I don't like either one, but I support both for taking a knee anytime they want.

BeardoMSU
04-08-2017, 10:52 AM
But it was only a problem for tebow per the "experts"

Throwing motion was a problem for Tim, but his biggest issues were accuracy and reading defenses....

Dawg61
04-08-2017, 12:18 PM
If Tebow can get his numbers up and the Mets make the postseason I would not be surprised if he makes the postseason roster as a cheerleader/pinch hitter

msstate7
04-08-2017, 12:40 PM
If Tebow can get his numbers up and the Mets make the postseason I would not be surprised if he makes the postseason roster as a cheerleader/pinch hitter

Yeah, not gonna happen. They carry 4 OFers with Conforto being the 4th. No way tebow comes close to being the hitter conforto is. I know conforto has struggled lately at big league level, but he's a .330/.402/.522 MiLB guy. I don't see tebow ever touching that and I like tebow

Dawg61
04-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Yeah, not gonna happen. They carry 4 OFers with Conforto being the 4th. No way tebow comes close to being the hitter conforto is. I know conforto has struggled lately at big league level, but he's a .330/.402/.522 MiLB guy. I don't see tebow ever touching that and I like tebow

Can you imagine Tebow coming up to pinch hit in a tied game bottom of the 9th in Mets stadium winner goes to the playoffs. Place would go bonkers and I wouldn't put it past Tebow to do something magical in that moment. It's coming. Might take 2 years first but that moment is coming.

msstate7
04-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Can you imagine Tebow coming up to pinch hit in a tied game bottom of the 9th in Mets stadium winner goes to the playoffs. Place would go bonkers and I wouldn't put it past Tebow to do something magical in that moment. It's coming. Might take 2 years first but that moment is coming.

I hope he makes it

Reason2succeed
04-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Obviously you don't really watch much football. One thing Kaep didn't do was throw INTs. His team sucked all around him and he still put up halfway decent numbers and did not throw many INT.

I give Tebow credit:he just wins. But his throwing was atrocious most of the time. It was not a liberal conspiracy. Trust me Kaep has no shot at coming to Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, or Tennessee. These places are way too conservative for him to be acceptable to the majority of the fanbase. But Tebow could have been picked up by any of them and guess what...none of them wanted him. Also, he would have done wonders for the 2 Florida teams with ticket sales...and they passed on him too in the end.

msstate7
04-26-2017, 11:17 PM
Tebow = .246/.310/.415

A .725 ops isn't bad and pretty impressive to me. In his last 10 games, he's hitting .314 and only K'd 7 times in 37 PAs. He's holding his own