PDA

View Full Version : Smokey is gone.

MaroonFlounder
04-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Anyone know what happened?

MaroonFlounder
04-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Jamoral "Smokey" Graham. No longer on the football team.

CadaverDawg
04-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Not a position we needed to lose experience at.

Wonder why? Dude was finally going to start wasn't he?

Homedawg
04-06-2017, 08:53 PM

This has been in place for a while....process just sped up.

msstate7
04-06-2017, 09:09 PM

Everything was ok till Hev lined him up at center**

lamont
04-06-2017, 09:24 PM

No. He was 4th or 5th in the rotation

HoopsDawg
04-06-2017, 09:25 PM

No

lamont
04-06-2017, 09:25 PM

I'm going to link this post when we are 2-3 this Fall.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2017, 09:31 PM

Is Cleveland going to be healthy this fall?

BeardoMSU
04-06-2017, 09:32 PM

you would love nothing better...

CadaverDawg
04-06-2017, 09:38 PM

Oh, well then he needs to wake up and realize that going to another team isn't going to change his lack of a career playing football.

msstate7
04-06-2017, 09:40 PM

I'll rebump when we finish 8-4

lamont
04-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Is Cleveland going to be healthy this fall?

yeah but nothing is guaranteed there. We need him badly.

lamont
04-06-2017, 09:43 PM
I'll rebump when we finish 8-4

and that could happen is everything goes perfect

msstate7
04-06-2017, 09:48 PM

With dear out and smokes buried at cb, seems a look at slot would've been a good move

Goldendawg
04-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Am not an insider. Do not know the reason he is gone. Good luck to him if he transfers and I hope he finishes his education. Watched him his entire MSU career. He was given chances to succeed throughout his time at MSU, WR and punt returner ( took 5 years off my life watching his attempts to field punts) as a Freshman, more recently as a DB. Didn't I read on this board that he had threatened to leave b4? I know a DB has to have a short memory after he has been burned on a play and I loved Smoot, but I saw Smokey running his mouth against receivers in games when we were no doubt not going to win and also making hand gestures that could have led to a penalty if seen by the refs. Maybe we have just reached the point that the best now play, not play based on seniority. Good luck to him and Hail State!

HSVDawg
04-06-2017, 10:06 PM
Great. We are now at either 79 or 80 schollies (depending on whether Eliss gets in) with 4 whole months to go before Fall camp even begins. This is 3 years in a row of self-imposed probation of 5+ schollies per year. Embarrassing. Granted, none of that has to do with Graham specifically, but we have done a miserable job of roster management since 2014 and this just further highlights it.

Jack Lambert
04-06-2017, 10:20 PM
I think he saw the writing on the wall. I bet JSU gets a 4 star.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Am not an insider. Do not know the reason he is gone. Good luck to him if he transfers and I hope he finishes his education. Watched him his entire MSU career. He was given chances to succeed throughout his time at MSU, WR and punt returner ( took 5 years off my life watching his attempts to field punts) as a Freshman, more recently as a DB. Didn't I read on this board that he had threatened to leave b4? I know a DB has to have a short memory after he has been burned on a play and I loved Smoot, but I saw Smokey running his mouth against receivers in games when we were no doubt not going to win and also making hand gestures that could have led to a penalty if seen by the refs. Maybe we have just reached the point that the best now play, not play based on seniority. Good luck to him and Hail State!

Agreed. Graham was not SEC grade. I watched him many times be burned by receivers and once saw him calling for help from his teammates moments after the snap of the ball as the WR burned him bad from the the get-go. Granted, he was getting better at his position but in the SEC West you need to be at an upper level or elite to succeed.

Maroon Wizardry
04-06-2017, 11:07 PM
didn't he get arrested as well over christmas break? maybe i'm confusing him with someone... besides we signed like 4 juco DBs

Ari Gold
04-06-2017, 11:48 PM
Hopefully there are a couple of more underclassmen that follow suit .. time to start cutting bait like 99% of the big boys do .. difference they don't have the State paper where they are make a big deal about it .. yeah I'm talk about you CL . You piece of shit rag

dawgday166
04-06-2017, 11:54 PM

That f***cker. I figured he had something to do with it!! ******

Bothrops
04-07-2017, 12:56 AM
Agreed. Graham was not SEC grade. I watched him many times be burned by receivers and once saw him calling for help from his teammates moments after the snap of the ball as the WR burned him bad from the the get-go. Granted, he was getting better at his position but in the SEC West you need to be at an upper level or elite to succeed.

I never got that impression of his game. I observed him as a lost player that was playing the wrong position. He was a home run threat with the ball in his hands. I couldn't say that about most of our other DB's. But if we can have a more consistent player that may not have great speed, but has better instincts, we'll be better off over the course.

With that said, Smokey should have stayed at WR.

Offshore Dawg
04-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Great. We are now at either 79 or 80 schollies (depending on whether Eliss gets in) with 4 whole months to go before Fall camp even begins. This is 3 years in a row of self-imposed probation of 5+ schollies per year. Embarrassing. Granted, none of that has to do with Graham specifically, but we have done a miserable job of roster management since 2014 and this just further highlights it.

I do not believe that we improve the play on the field just by having a full number of scholarships being used. But damn the Dawgs have trouble getting full classes each year. Is it that hard to get players when they are told work hard for your playing time = the world is full of "prema-donnas".

PMDawg
04-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Is this a prediction?***

HSVDawg
04-07-2017, 08:12 AM
I do not believe that we improve the play on the field just by having a full number of scholarships being used. But damn the Dawgs have trouble getting full classes each year. Is it that hard to get players when they are told work hard for your playing time = the world is full of "prema-donnas".

First off, there is no way you get worse by adding those 5-7 players per year even if they are straight off a HS JV squad, let alone some players we could pick off from the likes of Memphis, La Tech, Middle TN, etc. So, there is literally NO reason why we shouldn't give them to somebody. That being said, it shouldn't come to that except for maybe 1-2 guys per year. The biggest problem is we never have a plan B for missing on our big targets in recruiting. Our net isn't nearly wide enough, and therefore we have all these unused scholarships.

Cary Hudson's little bro
04-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Remember when Graham dropped 3 punt returns in his first game as a true freshman? *shudders*

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2017, 08:49 AM
I never got that impression of his game. I observed him as a lost player that was playing the wrong position. He was a home run threat with the ball in his hands. I couldn't say that about most of our other DB's. But if we can have a more consistent player that may not have great speed, but has better instincts, we'll be better off over the course.

With that said, Smokey should have stayed at WR.

I don't know if he worked on the jugs machine but he didn't have great hands which is why he moved to DB. Might be a case of he should have stayed at WR and worked on his pass catching skills but rode the bench for a while. He got a chance at early playing time at DB but he looked like he could have been a good WR.

Bubb Rubb
04-07-2017, 09:16 AM
yeah but nothing is guaranteed there. We need him badly.

Our defensive secondary is going to be a shocking and surprising strength of the team next year. I'm not generally wooly but I'm feeling good about it. The jucos plus Grantham and English are going to make a significant difference. A little competition makes the other guys step up. And adding the kid from Louisville, which is a real possibility, will also help. Our talent on defense is a lot better...I mean a shit ton better, than people think. This is why I think 8-4 is not just a "if everything goes perfect" scenario.

Bubb Rubb
04-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Remember when Graham dropped 3 punt returns in his first game as a true freshman? *shudders*

Thanks man. I thought I had successfully repressed that memory.

MaroonFlounder
04-07-2017, 11:15 AM
. And adding the kid from Louisville, which is a real possibility, will also help. .

THat ship just sailed. Louisville blocked the transfer to 5 schools....MSU being one of them.

Tripp McNeely
04-07-2017, 11:40 AM
THat ship just sailed. Louisville blocked the transfer to 5 schools....MSU being one of them.

Nope...not yet at least. There are other ways to skin that cat.

Percho
04-07-2017, 11:45 AM

I finely got a laugh out of a Hev line.

Thanks.

Reason2succeed
04-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Our defensive secondary is going to be a shocking and surprising strength of the team next year. I'm not generally wooly but I'm feeling good about it. The jucos plus Grantham and English are going to make a significant difference. A little competition makes the other guys step up. And adding the kid from Louisville, which is a real possibility, will also help. Our talent on defense is a lot better...I mean a shit ton better, than people think. This is why I think 8-4 is not just a "if everything goes perfect" scenario.

I feel fine about safety but at corner I'm scared we don't have elite talent. Our best corner just played the position for the first time last year. That does not inspire confidence.