PDA

View Full Version : Brent Rooker

preachermatt83
04-06-2017, 03:45 AM
Is a very special hitter obviously, but since the bat changes is he the most dynamic hitter we've had? I honestly can't think of one better. We are very fortunate he is a dawg!!

BigEasyDawg
04-06-2017, 05:48 AM
What blew me away was his at bat in the 7th last night. He is leading the league in most offensive categories and is up to the plate with bases loaded and 1 out. Most batters, especially ones leading the league in HRs and RBI, would have been trying to go yard and probably would have swung at some garbage.

But, Rooker showed absolute plate discipline and didn't swing at a single pitch and was walked. In my Opinion, that's what separates him.

TNDawg35
04-06-2017, 06:14 AM
Even on his HR in the 10th, he got a big curve ball and he didn't try to pull it. HE went the other way with it and drilled it out of the yrd. If he tries to pull it, he grounds out to the SS. That's something a our guys cant seem to understand. When you get the off speed on the outer half, sit back and go with the pitch and take it the other way. Poole struggles with alot. If he can ever learn to just sit back and relax he will be hell on wheels...

bulldogcountry1
04-06-2017, 07:37 AM
I would say he's having one of the best offensive years in the history of the program. He looks like that big kid in little league with a fake birth certificate.

On pace for 21 HRs and 90 RBIs.*

*56 game regular season

stalkingpoon
04-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Man, Kruger would have been huge if he would've stayed. I can't wait to see how the offense looks when Cann has had a full season to develop guys at the plate. Rooker has been an absolute monster so far. Seems like he really got hot at the end of last year and has been going ever since.

Jack Lambert
04-06-2017, 07:59 AM
I was watching Thunder and Lighting the other day and Rooker and Mangum came to mind. Now all we need is Thigpen and Brantley to amerge

smootness
04-06-2017, 08:17 AM
I was watching Thunder and Lighting the other day and Rooker and Mangum came to mind. Now all we need is Thigpen and Brantley to amerge

The funny thing is that nickname wasn't really accurate. It was basically Thunder and Even Bigger Thunder.

Tbonewannabe
04-06-2017, 08:27 AM
I would say he's having one of the best offensive years in the history of the program. He looks like that big kid in little league with a fake birth certificate.

*56 game regular season

He keeps this up and it will be one of the greatest seasons in SEC history.

MStateDawg
04-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Man, Kruger would have been huge if he would've stayed.

Both Kruger and Nathaniel Lowe were surprise losses. Kruger got paid over slot by his hometown team and Lowe got drafted by the same club that picked up his younger brother. Really bad luck for us. Those 2 in our current lineup would have made a world of difference.

GTHOM
04-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Both Kruger and Nathaniel Lowe were surprise losses. Kruger got paid over slot by his hometown team and Lowe got drafted by the same club that picked up his younger brother. Really bad luck for us. Those 2 in our current lineup would have made a world of difference.

Probably would be the best lineup in the SEC. Arguably the best lineup in the country

KB21
04-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Obviously, the most recent comparison is Hunter Renfroe. You have to respect the power that Hunter showed considering he played with a dead bat as well as a dead ball. Brent does have the benefit of a ball with the change in the seams. With that said, Brent is a much more disciplined hitter than Hunter. He's got much better bat control.

maroonmania
04-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Probably would be the best lineup in the SEC. Arguably the best lineup in the country

From everything I remember I don't think there was ever any real hope that Lowe was coming back. Kruger signed at the very last moment and was expected back. Losing him hurt more because he was a guy that had earlier stated he preferred to stay in school.

Tbonewannabe
04-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Obviously, the most recent comparison is Hunter Renfroe. You have to respect the power that Hunter showed considering he played with a dead bat as well as a dead ball. Brent does have the benefit of a ball with the change in the seams. With that said, Brent is a much more disciplined hitter than Hunter. He's got much better bat control.

Rooker also just has a better stance and swing. Renfroe had to do a lot of work on his swing to get to MLB. Rooker is just more compact and has a great eye for the strike zone. Rooker will probably go through the minors pretty quick because he is very fundamentally sound.

bulldogcountry1
04-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Has anyone seen any draft projections on Rooker?

smootness
04-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Has anyone seen any draft projections on Rooker?

I tried looking, but you won't find any extremely recent updates. We'll have to wait until further into the season to let his performance settle in more. I wouldn't expect him to be a 1st round pick just because of his defensive limitations, but if he keeps hitting like this, he'll pretty much have to be taken there.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-06-2017, 12:48 PM
I tried looking, but you won't find any extremely recent updates. We'll have to wait until further into the season to let his performance settle in more. I wouldn't expect him to be a 1st round pick just because of his defensive limitations, but if he keeps hitting like this, he'll pretty much have to be taken there.

AJ Reed got drafted in the 2nd. That seems like a decent comparison for Rooker.

KB21
04-06-2017, 12:54 PM
AJ Reed got drafted in the 2nd. That seems like a decent comparison for Rooker.

Not really. AJ Reed was a 1B only type of bat, and those don't have the value that a guy who can play a corner OF position has.

Todd4State
04-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Not really. AJ Reed was a 1B only type of bat, and those don't have the value that a guy who can play a corner OF position has.

I can't see Rooker playing much outfield in the pros. I think he is a first baseman all the way.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-06-2017, 01:01 PM
I guess I will wait to see the most current scouting reports but I assumed he would not really cut it at OF at the next level.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-06-2017, 01:30 PM
I guess I will wait to see the most current scouting reports but I assumed he would not really cut it at OF at the next level.

Kyle Schwarber and Evan Gattis transitioned from catcher to LF.

Tbonewannabe
04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Kyle Schwarber and Evan Gattis transitioned from catcher to LF.

He is also faster than both of those guys.

tcdog70
04-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Even on his HR in the 10th, he got a big curve ball and he didn't try to pull it. HE went the other way with it and drilled it out of the yrd. If he tries to pull it, he grounds out to the SS. That's something a our guys cant seem to understand. When you get the off speed on the outer half, sit back and go with the pitch and take it the other way. Poole struggles with alot. If he can ever learn to just sit back and relax he will be hell on wheels...

Luke tries to pull every pitch also. last night we took way too many called third strikes with runners in scoring position. putting no pressure on the defense. Hit the ball where it is pitched, especially when you are behind on the count.

KB21
04-06-2017, 02:57 PM
I'll add this. Many liked to criticize John Cohen's approach to coaching hitting, where he taught his hitters to hit the ball up the middle of the field. What has happened is that this coaching is what has taught guys like Brent Rooker that bat control and discipline he needs at the plate, and Cannizarro's coaching has allowed the power to come out. Don't forget that Rooker redshirted a year, played very little as a RS freshman and didn't really start to come on till halfway through last season, so he had three years with Cohen's teaching prior to this year whereas guys like Luke Alexander and Poole have only spent a year with that coaching.

Todd4State
04-06-2017, 03:14 PM
He is also faster than both of those guys.

Yeah but his arm is a lot weaker than those two. Plus Gattis is more of a DH to me.

TStationDawg
04-06-2017, 03:37 PM
I'll add this. Many liked to criticize John Cohen's approach to coaching hitting, where he taught his hitters to hit the ball up the middle of the field. What has happened is that this coaching is what has taught guys like Brent Rooker that bat control and discipline he needs at the plate, and Cannizarro's coaching has allowed the power to come out. Don't forget that Rooker redshirted a year, played very little as a RS freshman and didn't really start to come on till halfway through last season, so he had three years with Cohen's teaching prior to this year whereas guys like Luke Alexander and Poole have only spent a year with that coaching.

Cohen taught getting off your backside at all costs, to the detriment of many a hitter. I was at a loss for what they taught at camp over the summer. Told my son to forget over half of it. Had Lovelady teaching hitting for crying out loud!

maroonmania
04-06-2017, 04:30 PM

*56 game regular season

To put that in perspective if it was over a 162 game season he would have the .436 avg with 63 HRs and 261 RBIs. Another comparison is the year Will Clark won the Golden Spikes award he was at .420 with 25 HRs and 77 RBIs and that was way before they deadened the bats.