PDA

View Full Version : So UNC wins a nat'l title while still under investigation by NCAA.....

whosyourdawgy
04-04-2017, 06:38 AM
They have THREE amended notice of allegations and are still playing post season tourneys and have been to 2 straight championship games. Will anything happen with this national title or is UNC too big to be concerned? I'm kind of amazed that I haven't heard a single thing about the NCAA cloud hanging over their head one time on tv

Mimi's Babies
04-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Have you heard anything about OM on tv either...... NO...

Reason2succeed
04-04-2017, 07:10 AM
The Gonzaga coach took a little shot at them in his post game interview with CBS. He said something to the effect that his players are good students and do what they are supposed to do and that that "ought" to count for something.

whosyourdawgy
04-04-2017, 07:11 AM
During football season, yes! Probably every single game they were on tv it was talked about UNC was playing for a championship last night and I don't think I've heard a peep out of anyone on tv about it a single time

WSOPdawg
04-04-2017, 07:38 AM
As Dan Wolken tweeted: North Carolina, still under investigation for one of the worst scandals in history, has won the title. ACC sweeps football and hoops. @DanWolken

jumbo
04-04-2017, 07:44 AM
They will get there's. They are similar to OM in the fact that they can't wrap up the investigation because they keep finding new violations.

smootness
04-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Yes, UNC is going to get absolutely hammered. But it is a black eye that they are still out there competing under normal circumstances. The NCAA has to find a way to wrap these things up quicker.

LC Dawg
04-04-2017, 07:51 AM
They will get there's. They are similar to OM in the fact that they can't wrap up the investigation because they keep finding new violations.

UNC may get hammered but the fact that they won a championship will ease the pain some for them.
That's what is so hilarious about Ole Miss. All they did was win a watered down Sugar Bowl. They couldn't even get a conference championship out of all their cheating.

maroonmania
04-04-2017, 08:49 AM
UNC may get hammered but the fact that they won a championship will ease the pain some for them.
That's what is so hilarious about Ole Miss. All they did was win a watered down Sugar Bowl. They couldn't even get a conference championship out of all their cheating.

Will it get stripped in the end?

sleepy dawg
04-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Will it get stripped in the end?

You can only take away championships in the record books. What has happened has happened though. Their fans and players experienced the great highs of winning and the Gonzaga fans came up short and had to deal with great disappointment. Those feelings and memories will stand forever regardless of what gets taken away down the road.

maroonmania
04-04-2017, 09:27 AM
You can only take away championships in the record books. What has happened has happened though. Their fans and players experienced the great highs of winning and the Gonzaga fans came up short and had to deal with great disappointment. Those feelings and memories will stand forever regardless of what gets taken away down the road.

Yea, but its rare that the players that are involved in the worst infractions are still around by the time punishment is doled out. I know Reggie Bush was long gone from USC before they were punished and things were stripped but they still got to enjoy a NC beforehand.

LC Dawg
04-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Yep. If Mississippi State wins a championship and it's taken away later you will never take away the euphoric feeling I have when they win it. If this championship is taken away from UNC in a few years the Gonzoga fans with not feel euphoria. They will probably be pissed off that they had a championship stolen from them.
I'm sure Duke and NC State fans will have a little fun with it though.

Liverpooldawg
04-04-2017, 09:48 AM

I'm a big USC fan (the real one). When a title or something like a Heisman gets stripped it absolutely DOES take the shine off of it. You can't bring it up with fans of other teams without being laughed at. It's always in the back of your own mind that it didn't really count. Only people who have never won anything to speak of think it doesn't matter.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 10:11 AM

If it gets stripped is it just an asterik in the record books? The NCAA doesn't give the title to Gonzaga in that case do they?

smootness
04-04-2017, 10:16 AM
If it gets stripped is it just an asterik in the record books? The NCAA doesn't give the title to Gonzaga in that case do they?

Vacated wins/titles are never awarded to the team that lost. It is still recorded as a loss for them.

But apparently it's hard to tell where that gets stripped away. Check out the NCAA's website, for example, and you'll see a national champion for every year - including 2004, where they credit USC for winning the BCS title, even though it was vacated. Check wikipedia, and it will show it as a USC national title, it just notates that it was vacated.

msstate7
04-04-2017, 10:17 AM
What should the NCAA do? Should they make a rule where until an NOA is resolved, no postseason? It's be incredibly unfair to gonzaga if unc is stripped of title and no one gets be champions

GTHOM
04-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Thats why the NCAA has every reason (on top of what OM has done) to absolutely maul them. They know they have to make an example out of someone. OM is looking right down the barrel. NCAA looks weak right now and they know they have to change it

maroonmania
04-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Vacated wins/titles are never awarded to the team that lost. It is still recorded as a loss for them.

But apparently it's hard to tell where that gets stripped away. Check out the NCAA's website, for example, and you'll see a national champion for every year - including 2004, where they credit USC for winning the BCS title, even though it was vacated. Check wikipedia, and it will show it as a USC national title, it just notates that it was vacated.

That's an NCAA problem. If a school has a win, any win vacated, the opposing team should get credit for the win in a forfeit. If it changes who won a league or national championship, so be it. To do it the way they currently do is stupid.

Liverpooldawg
04-04-2017, 11:35 AM
That's an NCAA problem. If a school has a win, any win vacated, the opposing team should get credit for the win in a forfeit. If it changes who won a league or national championship, so be it. To do it the way they currently do is stupid.
So which team that they beat are you going to had the title too?

smootness
04-04-2017, 11:37 AM

The vacation of wins is an essentially meaningless punishment, but I don't think the solution is to have the other team declared the winner. In 5 years, are the Gonzaga players supposed to gather together and suddenly celebrate their national title? That wouldn't mean anything, either.

smootness
04-04-2017, 11:38 AM

There is also this problem haha

Thick
04-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Personally, I think if you are under investigation for lvl 1 infractions or maybe even lvl 2, the university should not be able to participate in any post season until matter is completely resolved. That would put a fire under the ass of these universities.

blacklistedbully
04-04-2017, 12:45 PM

While it's not necessarily right to award a win to a team that got beat by cheaters, it should absolutely wipe the loss off the books. I cannot understand why the victims must continue to suffer the consequences.

If it's a CG, I could get on board with a team being awarded the championship in the same way the Olympics award medals after someone is caught cheating. Would't call it a win on-the-field vs the cheaters, but would give the other team the recognition as winners-by default/forfeit, and force the cheaters to deliver the trophy to them.

I'd also be all for the NCAA adopting a rule requiring cheaters and their conferences to remove any and an all school-related reference to those championships, including banners, rings, etc.

maroonmania
04-04-2017, 12:54 PM

Well, in games over a season their game wouldn't count, so that one is more straightforward. In a tournament setting it would have to go to the tournament runner up. Obviously not a perfect solution since I realize other teams lost to them along the way but to me the other team in the finals is the most deserving and its a better solution than having no champion at all.

Liverpooldawg
04-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Well, in games over a season their game wouldn't count, so that one is more straightforward. In a tournament setting it would have to go to the tournament runner up. Obviously not a perfect solution since I realize other teams lost to them along the way but to me the other team in the finals is the most deserving and its a better solution than having no champion at all.
Why the runnerup? WHy not the team in the semi the year beat? What if the upset a #1 seed in he quarters and it's a #4 They beatbox in the final

LockeDawg
04-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Personally, I think if you are under investigation for lvl 1 infractions or maybe even lvl 2, the university should not be able to participate in any post season until matter is completely resolved. That would put a fire under the ass of these universities.
I agree. If nothing else, it would keep the notion of providing an atmosphere of compliance at the forefront. But in reality, college basketball recruiting is 10 times more shady, illicit, and rougeish as football recruiting. And the NCAA doesn't seem to give a rats ass what goes on with basketball.

maroonmania
04-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Why the runnerup? WHy not the team in the semi the year beat? What if the upset a #1 seed in he quarters and it's a #4 They beatbox in the final

A lot of what you wrote there is difficult to even follow. the year beat? Beatbox? But whatever, simply the runner up because they won the most games in the tournament aside from the champion and supposedly faced similar competition along the way. Aside from that there is no solution other than to leave no champion (which makes the tournament useless to begin with) or replay the tournament (which you can't do). So the runner up it is.

bobcat91
04-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Since none of you are dealing with facts, which is true for most discussions on this site, here are the facts.

The final NOA does not include football or basketball allegations.
It deals with academic fraud, men's soccer and women's basketball and several professors.
Not Roy Williams or any member of the UNC basketball coaching staff has been accused of any wrong doing after a lengthy investigation.

Those are the facts. Did numerous basketball players benefit from sham courses--yes. But none of that was initiated by any UNC coaching or staff member.

You can hat the coaches, the players, the University, etc but no wins will be vacated and the championships stand. But please go ahead with your comments. This was an academic issue not a benefits issue like UM. These are night and day.

blacklistedbully
04-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Since none of you are dealing with facts, which is true for most discussions on this site, here are the facts.

It deals with academic fraud, men's soccer and women's basketball and several professors.
Not Roy Williams or any member of the UNC basketball coaching staff has been accused of any wrong doing after a lengthy investigation.

Those are the facts. Did numerous basketball players benefit from sham courses--yes. But none of that was initiated by any UNC coaching or staff member.

You can hat the coaches, the players, the University, etc but no wins will be vacated and the championships stand. But please go ahead with your comments. This was an academic issue not a benefits issue like UM. These are night and day.

But if academic fraud on behalf of the university enabled basketball players to be eligible, it won't matter if the coaching staff was involved. The NCAA goes after the school, not just the coaches or even the athletic department.

blacklistedbully
04-04-2017, 02:59 PM

But if academic fraud on behalf of the university enabled basketball players to be eligible, it won't matter if the coaching staff was involved. The NCAA goes after the school, not just the coaches or even the athletic department.

Mimi's Babies
04-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Academic Fraud was committed by a university concerning ACT Fraud-- which benefited the students, football team and the athletic department-- what happens, is the students degree null and void?

Are there fake classes also?

What about players graduating with an ISBS degree (that you can do NOTHING with) Is this a REAL DEGREE????....

Liverpooldawg
04-04-2017, 05:46 PM
A lot of what you wrote there is difficult to even follow. the year beat? Beatbox? But whatever, simply the runner up because they won the most games in the tournament aside from the champion and supposedly faced similar competition along the way. Aside from that there is no solution other than to leave no champion (which makes the tournament useless to begin with) or replay the tournament (which you can't do). So the runner up it is.
For some reason I am having real trouble posting on this board with all my Apple devices. The letters I type take several seconds to appear. I'm bad enough at typing anyway. Combine the delay and autocorrect and it's a nightmare. Is anyone else having this trouble?

msstate7
04-04-2017, 05:50 PM
For some reason I am having real trouble posting on this board with all my Apple devices. The letters I type take several seconds to appear. I'm bad enough at typing anyway. Combine the delay and autocorrect and it's a nightmare. Is anyone else having this trouble?
Noticed this lately myself.

RocketDawg
04-04-2017, 06:48 PM

No issue with my McBook Pro. Using Safari.