PDA

View Full Version : Graveman

msstate7
04-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Hit 98 on the gun in the 1st. Where did that come from? I don't remember that kind of velocity

shoeless joe
04-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Check out his lower body...there's your answer

He was low 90s at state. Not unusual for someone to mature into their mechanics and add mph in pro ball

HoopsDawg
04-03-2017, 09:20 PM
paplebon did the same.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-03-2017, 09:24 PM
A 98 mph sinker sounds absolutely filthy

shoeless joe
04-03-2017, 09:34 PM
A 98 mph sinker sounds absolutely filthy

Yep...but the cutter he just threw to Espinoza is the difference maker.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Yep...but the cutter he just threw to Espinoza is the difference maker.
Yea I remember the discussions about how he had developed it in the minors

CadaverDawg
04-03-2017, 09:48 PM
How's Graveman doing tonight?

Nevermind, just found it on ESPN2. 3 K's thru 2.2

ScoobaDawg
04-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Oak up 1 -0 in top 3. 3 hits, 3k's so far.

msstate7
04-03-2017, 09:50 PM
How's Graveman doing tonight?

O ER thru 2.2 3 k

CadaverDawg
04-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Damn, Trout just smoked a HR off Kendall

ScoobaDawg
04-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Yea that was about a 380 foot line drive flying out. 2-1 angels now. 4 k's

CadaverDawg
04-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Boom, Kris Davis bomb puts KG in position for the win. A's up 3-2

msstate7
04-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Boom, Kris Davis bomb puts KG in position for the win. A's up 3-2

Unbelievable the power that guy generates for his size

CadaverDawg
04-03-2017, 11:01 PM

Yep.

I've watched more MLB baseball in this game than I did the entire season last year...including World Series. Not exaggerating

Dawg61
04-03-2017, 11:31 PM

Khris Davis has the unique ability to remind me of Dustin Pedroia, Ricky Henderson and Yoenis Cespedes at the same time. He has ridiculous power! Dude hit 42 HRs last year and nobody talks about him.

CadaverDawg
04-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Davis again! 4-2

A's are 3 outs away from Graveman being 1-0

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2017, 11:52 PM
Hit 98 on the gun in the 1st. Where did that come from? I don't remember that kind of velocity

Those guns are really juiced. Graveman is a 92-94 guy

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Khris Davis has the unique ability to remind me of Dustin Pedroia, Ricky Henderson and Yoenis Cespedes at the same time. He has ridiculous power! Dude hit 42 HRs last year and nobody talks about him.

Because he's a left fielder that doesn't get on base and strikes out all the time. He was non-tendered by the Milwaukee Brewers

Dawg61
04-04-2017, 12:06 AM
Because he's a left fielder that doesn't get on base and strikes out all the time. He was non-tendered by the Milwaukee Brewers

42 HRs 102 RBIs .307 OBP in that ballpark with that team deserves more respect than it gets.

ShotgunDawg
04-04-2017, 12:10 AM
42 HRs 102 RBIs .307 OBP in that ballpark with that team deserves more respect than it gets.

That's a good point and perhaps highly debatable. Depends on what you value if your putting together a team. However, that's why he was non-tendered.

The part that makes it difficult though is Davis was abitration eligible and his salary would've jumped way past what he was worth because he hit 42 HRs. MLB has rules to the arbitration process and without going into to much depth, the process makes HRs, RBI, and batting average a high priority in determining value while not allowing OBP, Weighted OBA, etc into the process. Thus guys that excel in the "counting numbers" will blow pass their realistic value in arbitration.

It's why he was non-tendered. He's only worth about 3-5 mil per year yet arbitration would pay him more.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-04-2017, 07:18 AM
That's a good point and perhaps highly debatable. Depends on what you value if your putting together a team. However, that's why he was non-tendered.

The part that makes it difficult though is Davis was abitration eligible and his salary would've jumped way past what he was worth because he hit 42 HRs. MLB has rules to the arbitration process and without going into to much depth, the process makes HRs, RBI, and batting average a high priority in determining value while not allowing OBP, Weighted OBA, etc into the process. Thus guys that excel in the "counting numbers" will blow pass their realistic value in arbitration.

It's why he was non-tendered. He's only worth about 3-5 mil per year yet arbitration would pay him more.

So, Ryan Howard.

smootness
04-04-2017, 07:52 AM

Nailed it. Davis is a solid player, basically average on the MLB level, a tick above last year. But you have to pay him like he's better than that.

smootness
04-04-2017, 07:54 AM
So, Ryan Howard.

Ryan Howard when he was at his best, sure. Davis is not bad, Howard is certainly bad now.

Davis is a 2-3 WAR guy, which has real value. And the A's actually aren't having to pay him what he is worth yet, even through arbitration, though they likely will a year or two from now.

TStationDawg
04-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Ryan Howard when he was at his best, sure. Davis is not bad, Howard is certainly bad now.

Davis is a 2-3 WAR guy, which has real value. And the A's actually aren't having to pay him what he is worth yet, even through arbitration, though they likely will a year or two from now.

Neh- the A's will let him go and find the next "him".

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Arbitration is screwy like that. Similar to the reliever that went through arbitration with the Yankees. Can't remember his name but he regularly pitches 3 or 4 innings in relief but isn't "the closer". His war was higher than most closers in baseball and he pitched more innings than any other reliever but arbitration knocked down his salary because he wasn't the official closer. Then Yankees GM was a dick about it. I used to love the Yankees when I was young because Don Mattingly was my favorite player but I can't stand the SOBs now.

Dawg61
04-04-2017, 08:31 AM
42 HRs playing in A's ballpark is like 62 HRs playing for the Rockies. That's an impressive number in that HR killing stadium.

smootness
04-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Neh- the A's will let him go and find the next "him".

I doubt they'll let him go. Again, he does have value, and while his arbitration figures will climb, it's still probably less than he'd get on the open market.

smootness
04-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Arbitration is screwy like that. Similar to the reliever that went through arbitration with the Yankees. Can't remember his name but he regularly pitches 3 or 4 innings in relief but isn't "the closer". His war was higher than most closers in baseball and he pitched more innings than any other reliever but arbitration knocked down his salary because he wasn't the official closer. Then Yankees GM was a dick about it. I used to love the Yankees when I was young because Don Mattingly was my favorite player but I can't stand the SOBs now.

Betances. Extremely stupid move by their team president to come out and rub that in publicly. And it will hurt them going forward. Betances in particular is likely to be much more demanding about when he pitches.

Maroons
04-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Those guns are really juiced. Graveman is a 92-94 guy

Prove it.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Betances. Extremely stupid move by their team president to come out and rub that in publicly. And it will hurt them going forward. Betances in particular is likely to be much more demanding about when he pitches.

The Yankees basically pitched the shit out of him and he never complained. I read an article about Andrew Miller and he would pitch whenever they asked him to. It was talking about the relievers like that used to be called firemen and they were more important than closers. It was someone you brought in with the game on the line and then the closer would have a clean slate to work with. Now baseball puts a monetary value on being the "closer" but a fireman is actually more important in actual war statistics.

KB21
04-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Who would have thought that out of that class that had Chris Stratton, Ben Bracewell, Luke Bole, Chad Girodo, and Kendall Graveman that Kendall would become the best/most successful of that group? That's one hell of a recruiting class to have 4 of the 5 top pitchers in the class knocking on the door of MLB right now with Luke Bole being the lone flame out.

smootness
04-04-2017, 01:35 PM
The Yankees basically pitched the shit out of him and he never complained. I read an article about Andrew Miller and he would pitch whenever they asked him to. It was talking about the relievers like that used to be called firemen and they were more important than closers. It was someone you brought in with the game on the line and then the closer would have a clean slate to work with. Now baseball puts a monetary value on being the "closer" but a fireman is actually more important in actual war statistics.

Absolutely. Fortunately, I think the Indians' use of Miller in the playoffs last year will start to wake teams and the market up. Obviously it will take time, as the arbitration process is still in the stone age, but it will get there.

ShotgunDawg
04-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Prove it.

http://i.imgur.com/8Hm7CUu.jpg

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 02:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8Hm7CUu.jpg

Maybe he worked with Wes Johnson and was lucky his arm didn't fall off.