PDA

View Full Version : MLB expertise/fandom needed

CadaverDawg
04-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Ok, so I grew up a Braves fan and will always pull for them deep down, but I haven't been in to MLB in years. I want to try to get back into it some this year (going to try Again), but I feel like pulling for a team with a good shot at postseason will keep me interested.

So, what do you suggest?

Adopt a second team in MLB? Maybe an American League team?

Is there a team that plays an exciting brand of ball? An ED favorite other than Atl?

Who do you think will be the better teams in each league this year? Top 5-6 in each league?

Is there too much turnover in baseball from year to year to choose a team like the Padres or Pirates bc of Renfroe or Frazier? I don't want to go all in and then Renfroe be a damn Toronto Blue Jay next year.

Also, Tell me who you pull for and why just to make the thread fun and bc I'd love to know who cheers for who.

Is it too late for Fantasy MLB?

Please Guide me, ye ole gentlemen that love America's Pastime

BrunswickDawg
04-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Born into being a Braves fan, I've always kept up with teams with players I liked. As I kid, I kept up with Rickey Henderson, Don Mattingly and Ryne Sandberg - who were my favorite players not named Murphy, Horner, or Gary Matthews. Now, I follow State players, and to a limited degree guys on my fantasy team (which are mostly Braves, players with GA ties, or State players)

lamont
04-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Be a Cubs fan- its alot like being a State fan- except the Cubs finally did it. Go to Wrigley for a weekend and just enjoy life. You wont be sorry

HereComesTheSpiral
04-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Well the Cubs won last year, so that wiped out 99% of their fanbase so they need some fillers.**

msstate7
04-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Jump on the braves' wagon again this year. It won't be pretty at times, but studs are the on the way. The talent the braves have amassed in the minors is really staggering. Tough it out this year and it'll really start paying dividends next season

shoeless joe
04-03-2017, 08:33 PM
I too am a braves fan that is forced to find interest in other teams...here's how I go about it: I like to pick an underdog contender and generally do more cheering against the favorites versus actively supporting a new team. Also, I will definitely favor a team if they have a state guy on the roster.

So here's who I pull for by division...
NL: east
Braves-hate everybody else but I do like the mets rotation

Central: pirates- I like mccutcheon and despise the cards. Now that the cubs are the favorites I will root against them

West: giants- huge Bochy fan and I just like the way they pitch it and catch it

AL east:
Jays: not a big Bautista bat flip fan but I like the rest of their line up and stroman

Central: white sox- always preferred the south siders. I'd say over the course of my life they've been the solid #2 team for me behind the braves.

West: tough one, I like em all except for the angels. Since the rangers got rid of Moreland they'll fall to the bottom. Of course, Ima hafta go with the A's because of graveman but I've always liked the small market ball they play. The last couple years of also felt like the mariners were awful close to being successful so they'd be my dark horse for this season. Plus I LOVE to watch cano hit. Best swing in baseball.

Through my evolution as a baseball fan I've moved from wanting to see as many bombs as possible to really enjoying the art of pitching. I also appreciate minor defensive things much more than I did as a kid. It's a great game...the greatest IMO because pure athleticism means very little...gotta be fundamentally sound to enjoy an long term success. Watching a guy learn to master his craft through hard work and dedication in addition to skill and attention to minute detail is what separates baseball from all other sports. Great time of year!!! Gobbling turkeys and action on the diamond!!!!

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-03-2017, 08:47 PM
As much as I love watching State play, I'm unable to watch the MLB. Tried to watch the Braves game today and I just couldn't get into it. Whether or not it actually is, the pro games feels miserably slow compared to college. And the season is too long for me to feel like any one game I watch has significance. To me, between 30-60ish game regular seasons provide the right amount of weight for each game in a season, regardless of sport.

ETA: didn't answer your question at all..sorry.

msstate7
04-03-2017, 08:51 PM
As much as I love watching State play, I'm unable to watch the MLB. Tried to watch the Braves game today and I just couldn't get into it. Whether or not it actually is, the pro games feels miserably slow compared to college. And the season is too long for me to feel like any one game I watch has significance. To me, between 30-60ish game regular seasons provide the right amount of weight for each game in a season, regardless of sport.

ETA: didn't answer your question at all..sorry.

Love MLB. I'll watch/listen to 140-150 braves' games this year and keep up with the others on MLB at Bat app. Definitely disagree about pace of game compared to college

lamont
04-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Well the Cubs won last year, so that wiped out 99% of their fanbase so they need some fillers.**

I have been a Cubs fan since 1983 when I first heard that drunk guy yelling during games. Harry was awesome and reeled me in. Sosa spelled backwards is Asos. (true Cubs fans know what I mean)

msstate7
04-03-2017, 08:55 PM
I have been a Cubs fan since 1983 when I first heard that drunk guy yelling during games. Harry was awesome and reeled me in. Sosa spelled backwards is Asos. (true Cubs fans know what I mean)

Harry and Steve stone were awesome. Steve stone is one of the best color guys

Todd4State
04-03-2017, 08:58 PM
You know who I pull for the Cardinals and why I pull for them. I also pull for the Kansas City Royals in the American League because my uncle pitched for them before he got traded to the Cardinals one week after I was born. The Royals also drafted my Dad out of high school. The Los Angeles Dodgers would be third probably because my Dad has a cousin that made their MLB camp as a non-roster invitee but he got hurt bunting during an intersquad game and tore his Achilles heel while running to first which in the 60's was apparently a career ending thing.

I'll give you my top 10:

1. Cardinals- see above
2. Royals- see above
3. Dodgers- see above
4. Angels- Actually one of the better franchises in the old Pacific Coast League and they had Nolan Ryan, Albert Pujols, and Mike Trout among others.
5. Yankees- I'm a HUGE Babe Ruth fan. He's my favorite baseball player of all time and I did an extensive research paper on him at MSU in freshman comp that was quite in depth.
6. Cubs- WHAT? I know. I'm being serious. Cardinals/Cubs is not anything like State/Ole Miss. It can get intense at times, but it usually doesn't get personal. They're a good rival and they're often an underdog. I used to like Harry Caray- also a former Cardinals announcer- and actually the first baseball game I ever watched on TV was a Cubs game in 1984. And they have one of the most historical ballparks in MLB.
7. Red Sox- I mentioned that I am a huge Babe Ruth fan. That's a lot of it. They're basically the Cubs of the American League.
8. Giants- They were my Dad's favorite team growing up plus when I was young they had Clark and Brantley. I have some friends that are Giants fans too for some reason- probably thank to Will Clark.
9. Braves- I did mention that I was a huge Babe Ruth fan- he spent a year with them too. They're also the local team and helped save minor league and pro baseball in Jackson.
10. Rangers- My Dad's roommate at MSU played in their system and they have had a lot of former MSU players associated with them- Clark and Palmeiro, Moreland, Jon Shave, Jay Powell, Jeff Brantley, and Buck Showalter.

If you're looking for a "fun" team to follow this year, I would probably go with someone like the Mets because of their young pitching.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-03-2017, 09:11 PM
You know who I pull for the Cardinals and why I pull for them. I also pull for the Kansas City Royals in the American League because my uncle pitched for them before he got traded to the Cardinals one week after I was born. The Royals also drafted my Dad out of high school. The Los Angeles Dodgers would be third probably because my Dad has a cousin that made their MLB camp as a non-roster invitee but he got hurt bunting during an intersquad game and tore his Achilles heel while running to first which in the 60's was apparently a career ending thing.

I'll give you my top 10:

1. Cardinals- see above
2. Royals- see above
3. Dodgers- see above
4. Angels- Actually one of the better franchises in the old Pacific Coast League and they had Nolan Ryan, Albert Pujols, and Mike Trout among others.
5. Yankees- I'm a HUGE Babe Ruth fan. He's my favorite baseball player of all time and I did an extensive research paper on him at MSU in freshman comp that was quite in depth.
6. Cubs- WHAT? I know. I'm being serious. Cardinals/Cubs is not anything like State/Ole Miss. It can get intense at times, but it usually doesn't get personal. They're a good rival and they're often an underdog. I used to like Harry Caray- also a former Cardinals announcer- and actually the first baseball game I ever watched on TV was a Cubs game in 1984. And they have one of the most historical ballparks in MLB.
7. Red Sox- I mentioned that I am a huge Babe Ruth fan. That's a lot of it. They're basically the Cubs of the American League.
8. Giants- They were my Dad's favorite team growing up plus when I was young they had Clark and Brantley. I have some friends that are Giants fans too for some reason- probably thank to Will Clark.
9. Braves- I did mention that I was a huge Babe Ruth fan- he spent a year with them too. They're also the local team and helped save minor league and pro baseball in Jackson.
10. Rangers- My Dad's roommate at MSU played in their system and they have had a lot of former MSU players associated with them- Clark and Palmeiro, Moreland, Jon Shave, Jay Powell, Jeff Brantley, and Buck Showalter.

If you're looking for a "fun" team to follow this year, I would probably go with someone like the Mets because of their young pitching.

I think it would have been quicker to list the teams you don't like.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Love MLB. I'll watch/listen to 140-150 braves' games this year and keep up with the others on MLB at Bat app. Definitely disagree about pace of game compared to college

Yea I have a sneaking suspicion the pace of play is just due me not having a vested interest in an MLB team like I do State. I don't know if my gripe with the season length would dissipate too with actually being a fan of a team.

Noxdog
04-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Bosox.

Ok, so I grew up a Braves fan and will always pull for them deep down, but I haven't been in to MLB in years. I want to try to get back into it some this year (going to try Again), but I feel like pulling for a team with a good shot at postseason will keep me interested.

So, what do you suggest?

Is there a team that plays an exciting brand of ball? An ED favorite other than Atl?

Who do you think will be the better teams in each league this year? Top 5-6 in each league?

Is there too much turnover in baseball from year to year to choose a team like the Padres or Pirates bc of Renfroe or Frazier? I don't want to go all in and then Renfroe be a damn Toronto Blue Jay next year.

Also, Tell me who you pull for and why just to make the thread fun and bc I'd love to know who cheers for who.

fader2103
04-03-2017, 10:01 PM
I've been a Cubs fan since 94. When I really got into baseball. Harry was something else.

NL is gonna come down to Chicago, Dodgers, Nationals, and SF & Mets depending on their stacked rotation staying healthy.

AL east is gonna be tough. You have the Red Sox who is probably the best team this year (hate to say it) along with Toronto, O's, NY, and Rays. I believe this and the NL Central is the toughest divisions with the AL easy a slight better.
central. I dunno much about but the royals have been dang good lately along with the Indians.

West- I don't know jack about except Trout is the best in the game who plays for the Angels who are horrible. Hope it helps a little.

fader2103
04-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Also no to late for fantasy. This is opening weekend so you can still get in a public yahoo league for a few more weeks. I dunno what your preference fantasy website go to.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Red Sox have several MSU ties. Boo Ferris has one of the only player set up in the Fenway museum. Our architect of Dudy Noble also was the architect over theslast renovation of Fenway. Of course Papelbon and now Moreland plays for them.

ScoobaDawg
04-03-2017, 10:49 PM

So, what do you suggest?

Red sox. Paps made me a fan and I feel in love with the rest of the team and now Mitch is back. But I started liking the Texas Rangers some too.. but i just can't believe they are gonna break through the playoffs and not choke again. I'll be keeping up with the A's too for Graveman.

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Be a Giants fan.

Always competitive and well run with an SEC football type atmosphere in the stadium. They also have the best manager in the game.

Red Sox Dawg
04-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Been a Red Sox fan since 1975. Watch all their games on NESN (628) on Directv. Mitch Moreland plays 1st for them, and Fenway is a great place to watch a game.

smootness
04-04-2017, 07:56 AM

So, what do you suggest?

Rome Braves

msstate7
04-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Rome Braves

Lol... life of a braves' fan these days. I've got my eye on pitching for the MBraves and can't wait to see the crown jewel (maitan) in Danville or GCL

louisvilledawg
04-04-2017, 08:09 AM
You should be an Astros fan. Really young and very talented.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Been a Red Sox fan since 1975. Watch all their games on NESN (628) on Directv. Mitch Moreland plays 1st for them, and Fenway is a great place to watch a game.

We toured Fenway last year when we went for the UMass game. Awesome place and I definitely have it on my bucket list to go back and watch a game. Interesting in the museum part that Ted Williams and Boo Ferris were some of the only players who had their own exhibit. There were a couple of others, maybe Jim Rice. The only mentions of Roger Clemens or Wade Boggs is in a team exhibit or the Cy Young or batting titles. Hate runs deep for the Yankees.

smootness
04-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Lol... life of a braves' fan these days. I've got my eye on pitching for the MBraves and can't wait to see the crown jewel (maitan) in Danville or GCL

I'm only half kidding. I'm pumped about the Rome Braves, and it looks like they're going to be really good on a yearly basis going forward. Anderson/Wentz/Muller/Wilson this year with Pache/Cruz, then Maitan, Severino, Gutierrez, etc. the year after.

And yeah, I'm excited about the Mississippi staff, too. Intrigued as well, just because I'm really surprised we were so aggressive with Soroka and especially Allard and little anxious about it. Really the pitching at every stop is going to be exciting. Newcomb/Wisler/Blair at AAA; Fried, Soroka, Allard, Weigel at AA; Gohara, Touki, Sanchez at A+; and the aforementioned group in A.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 08:47 AM
I'm only half kidding. I'm pumped about the Rome Braves, and it looks like they're going to be really good on a yearly basis going forward. Anderson/Wentz/Muller/Wilson this year with Pache/Cruz, then Maitan, Severino, Gutierrez, etc. the year after.

And yeah, I'm excited about the Mississippi staff, too. Intrigued as well, just because I'm really surprised we were so aggressive with Soroka and especially Allard and little anxious about it. Really the pitching at every stop is going to be exciting. Newcomb/Wisler/Blair at AAA; Fried, Soroka, Allard, Weigel at AA; Gohara, Touki, Sanchez at A+; and the aforementioned group in A.

How long does any of those guys stay at AAA?

Beaver
04-04-2017, 08:49 AM
I grew up in Atlanta, so Braves fan all the way. However, if I were starting fandom from scratch, I would definitely pick a team with good ownership ($$$$) and a good fanbase. Unfortunately, Atlanta has a very passive fanbase and it stinks having to watch games on TV with the stadium 1/3 full except for weekends. So I'll give you a team from each division:

NL East: Phillies -- I hate the Phillies, but they have great fans, a cool stadium, and enough money to compete. They kinda suck right now though.
NL Central: Cardinals -- Great baseball fanbase. St. Louis is not a huge city, but they love their baseball. Similar to the Cubs, except they have a lot more rings.
NL West: Giants -- Best stadium in the MLB, and is nearly full most nights. But, you're gonna have a tough time watching their games on TV since they start late.

AL East: Red Sox -- Boston > NYC. They have great fans and plenty of money. Plus new Yankees Stadium has no life
AL Central: Tough all between the Royals and the Tigers, but I'd go with Detroit since they have a lot more $$$
AL West: Probably the least interesting division. I'd go with the Rangers. Not a great fanbase, but you can watch all of their games, and they have enough money to compete. Plus it's a stadium you can actually drive to from Mississippi.

Bully13
04-04-2017, 08:49 AM
How many of y'all have lost more and more interest in pro sports the older you get? I became a Mets fan as a youngster watching the double A team win back to back TX league championships then that team went on to flushing including the coach and I was at game 7 when we beat the Sox in '86.

I couldnt tell you the coaches name or a single position player on that team if you asked me today.

I watched NFL regular season for the 1st time in i don't know when because of Dak. If there is a MSU player on the field, I'll watch pulling for him.

smootness
04-04-2017, 08:58 AM
How long does any of those guys stay at AAA?

Probably at least a little while. There's nobody in the Atlanta rotation now that is a clear candidate to not be there soon. Colon, Dickey, and Garcia are around until we trade them, and Teheran and Folty aren't going anywhere. So it will probably take an injury for one of those guys to come up in the first 2-3 months.

msstate7
04-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Probably at least a little while. There's nobody in the Atlanta rotation now that is a clear candidate to not be there soon. Colon, Dickey, and Garcia are around until we trade them, and Teheran and Folty aren't going anywhere. So it will probably take an injury for one of those guys to come up in the first 2-3 months.

Collmenter might be next man up before AAA guys. I'm hoping minter picks up where he left off and he's in Atlanta soon

smootness
04-04-2017, 09:01 AM
How many of y'all have lost more and more interest in pro sports the older you get? I became a Mets fan as a youngster watching the double A team win back to back TX league championships then that team went on to flushing including the coach and I was at game 7 when we beat the Sox in '86.

I couldnt tell you the coaches name or a single position player on that team if you asked me today.

I watched NFL regular season for the 1st time in i don't know when because of Dak. If there is a MSU player on the field, I'll watch pulling for him.

I've just become more of a concentrated fan in general. As a kid, I watched everybody and loved watching college football and basketball especially on a national level. I also kept up more with baseball players around the country. But I've become more of a State/Braves fan, and I keep up with State recruiting and the Braves farm system more than I did before, focusing less on what's happening elsewhere.

I'm also probably more of an NFL fan now than I was before, following the Falcons primarily and playing fantasy, but I mostly stick with State and the Braves.

shoeless joe
04-04-2017, 09:10 AM

I'm still interested...just not as hardcore as I once was. I enjoy other things now as well as the game. Back in the early to mid 90s I could give you the starting line ups for every MLB team as well as their averages. If a game was on tv I didn't miss it. I used to love the Wednesday night double header on ESPN because it usually involved a west coast team that wasn't normally on tv. If there had been an MLB channel back then I would have been worthless

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 09:32 AM
I'm still interested...just not as hardcore as I once was. I enjoy other things now as well as the game. Back in the early to mid 90s I could give you the starting line ups for every MLB team as well as their averages. If a game was on tv I didn't miss it. I used to love the Wednesday night double header on ESPN because it usually involved a west coast team that wasn't normally on tv. If there had been an MLB channel back then I would have been worthless

I was very similar. I loved baseball cards and just poured over stats all the time. Now I just did a fantasy draft and half the people I got, I had never heard of. Even some all stars on some teams I had no clue who they were. A good chance if they don't play for the Braves or played for MSU then I probably don't know them.

Dawg61
04-06-2017, 04:59 PM
I am a Giants fan. They are on something like a 600 game sellout streak so the stadium atmosphere is always rocking and they play in the best park in MLB imo but their style of baseball isn't always the most exciting which brings me to my point that good announcers shouldn't get overlooked when picking a fav team. I am lucky that the Giants have great announcers. Some of the other teams that have great announcers are the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays, Orioles, A's, Dodgers, D'Backs. Cadaver I think you'd like the A's. I like the A's because they are a team made up of forgotten about players and no-name rookies and they have an edge to them. They play in a shitty stadium and get overshadowed by the Giants in the Bay area but they have been pretty damn successful the last 30 years for all the handicaps they naturally have. Their fans are really fun and do a bunch of crazy funny shit like in this video. Plus Graveman pitches there. You will have to buy the cable MLB package to watch them though which runs $200 for a season. Also you should play fantasy baseball as it will peak your interest big time in MLB again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cukBorOtOc

dawgs
04-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Renfroe won't be leaving the pads for 5-6 years if he pans out because he'll be under team control. If he doesn't pan out, you won't be following him anyway. I guess there's a slim chance he pans out and the pads trade him in the next year or 2 as part of a bigger deal, but given the pads are rebuilding, I'd guess they want to keep any young talent they have while it's cheap and let it sort itself out, if they turn into a contender and have a surplus of OFs but need another piece or 2, that's when you might see a successful renfroe traded before the end of his team control years.

dawgs
04-06-2017, 05:21 PM
I am a Giants fan. They are on something like a 600 game sellout streak so the stadium atmosphere is always rocking and they play in the best park in MLB imo but their style of baseball isn't always the most exciting which brings me to my point that good announcers shouldn't get overlooked when picking a fav team. I am lucky that the Giants have great announcers. Some of the other teams that have great announcers are the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays, Orioles, A's, Dodgers, D'Backs. Cadaver I think you'd like the A's. I like the A's because they are a team made up of forgotten about players and no-name rookies and they have an edge to them. They play in a shitty stadium and get overshadowed by the Giants in the Bay area but they have been pretty damn successful the last 30 years for all the handicaps they naturally have. Their fans are really fun and do a bunch of crazy funny shit like in this video. Plus Graveman pitches there. You will have to buy the cable MLB package to watch them though which runs $200 for a season. Also you should play fantasy baseball as it will peak your interest big time in MLB again.

MLB tv is $112 for the season and if you know a student (or have a kid that's a student), you can get 35% off that brings it down to $73. My wife is in grad school, so i used that discount.

Dawg61
04-06-2017, 06:48 PM
MLB tv is $112 for the season and if you know a student (or have a kid that's a student), you can get 35% off that brings it down to $73. My wife is in grad school, so i used that discount.

Good to know, thanks

was21
04-06-2017, 07:23 PM
If I lived in a city with a MLB team I would probably be a huge fan of pro ball. I believe that is where most of the diehard fans are.

CadaverDawg
04-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Crazy that you posted this. I decided to just watch some games and see who I was enjoying watching and drawn to. I found myself searching for games two and three of the A's vs Angels series and pulling for the A's. I also enjoyed watching the Astros a little so far. I've been to some Stros games before and they're not too far away from MS, so right now I'm leaning A's, Astros, and Ill keep an eye on the Bravos. But I'm going to watch more for a few weeks and see if those stick.

Another great thing about the A's, I'm a night owl so they come on at a good time for me to watch.

BeastMan
04-06-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm in the same boat. Lived in ATL for a bit as a kid and went to a few Braves games at FCS. The braves do nothing for me now. I need a team. This is what I'm down to. Detroit has awesome hats and that's a gangster ass city. Love Philly as a sports town and could see my self adopting the Phillies. Third option is Tampa Bay. Was born in Florida and am an avid saltwater fisherman so I like their mascot.

JoseBrown
04-07-2017, 02:59 AM
We got cable when I was 11 or 12. We had the Braves and Cubs everyday. I chose the Braves, and have been to many games since I got older. That's how I became a Braves fan. I am fans of teams with former Dawgs also. I am a fan of any team managed by Bruce Bochy, Joe Pettini or Clint Hurdle. I have spent time with those 3 and others, but Bochy is such a great guy I will be a fan of any team he manages. I like the Rangers also, because I used to know many of the guys there over the years and I appreciate their organization.

1. Braves- favorite team growing up, local AA affiliate
This Year:
2. BoSox- Moreland, Paps...
3. Giants- Bochy
4. Rangers- overall ties from the past
5. Padres/Cardinals- Renfroe/overall ties from the past