PDA

View Full Version : Fun MSU/SEC Baseball Stats Facts

Todd4State
04-03-2017, 04:46 PM
We are currently second in the SEC in hitting. (All games)

We are third in the SEC in hitting in SEC games only.

Our pitching staff is ranked 13th in ERA in all games, however we are fourth in SEC only games in ERA. That's pretty eye opening to me.

We have six former Bulldogs on opening day rosters this year- Kendall Graveman (A's), Jonathan Holder (Yankees), Mitch Moreland (Red Sox), Adam Frazier (Pirates), Hunter Renfroe (Padres), and Tyler Moore (Marlins). Ole Miss has five.

Per MLB.com we have five former Bulldogs on teams top 30 prospects list and to be eligible for the list you have to be eligible to be a rookie by MLB standards. Holder, Renfroe, Dakota Hudson (Cardinals), Brandon Woodruff (Brewers), Chris Stratton (Giants) are the former Diamond Dogs that made it. Lindgren was on it last year but I think the combination of him having Tommy John and the fact that the Braves have a really deep farm system keep him off of the list. Chad Girodo was also on it last year and did make it to the Blue Jays and I think he will likely be a guy that spends the season going up and down between AAA and the Big Leagues.

And with some good seasons I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our former players from last year crack the list when they re-rank at midseason- like Zac Houston, Austin Sexton, Jack Kruger, Nate Lowe, Gavin Collins, and Jacob Robson are some of my contenders to maybe crack the list this year. But we'll see how they do.

msstate7
04-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Good stuff.

Seeing how dominant woodruff was in AA last year, makes me sick he wasn't more of a factor in '13. If woodruff lived up potential in '13, we probably win a natty

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Good stuff.

Seeing how dominant woodruff was in AA last year, makes me sick he wasn't more of a factor in '13. If woodruff lived up potential in '13, we probably win a natty

Didn't he have TJ or some kind of injury? It just sucks that by the time they get over an injury that they are gone. Woodruff did pitch great his freshman? year in the SEC tournament if I am remembering correctly.

msstate7
04-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Didn't he have TJ or some kind of injury? It just sucks that by the time they get over an injury that they are gone. Woodruff did pitch great his freshman? year in the SEC tournament if I am remembering correctly.

He destroyed ark in the tourney I think

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 05:05 PM
He destroyed ark in the tourney I think

I knew he had a game in the SEC tourney that I thought was going to be his breakout game and then basically not heard from again.

Todd4State
04-03-2017, 05:22 PM
If I recall correctly Woodruff ended up having a hairline fracture in his humerus. By MSU catching it when we did we probably saved his career.

Woodruff did start the 2012 SEC Tournament Championship Game opposite of Tyler Beede of Vanderbilt who would go on to become a first round pick himself. As we all know, Woodruff outdueled him and we were literally able to scratch across three runs and then Ross Mitchell and Chris Stratton closed out the win for us in a 3-0 shutout.

Todd4State
04-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Good stuff.

Yes. That 2013 staff should have been Graveman, Woodruff, and Lindgren but Woodruff had injury issues and Lindgren wouldn't realize his full potential until 2014. Typical MSU luck.

The Federalist Engineer
04-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Yes. That 2013 staff should have been Graveman, Woodruff, and Lindgren but Woodruff had injury issues and Lindgren wouldn't realize his full potential until 2014. Typical MSU luck.

If Cohen could do it over again, he would have started game-1 with mental giants like the 2013-Mitchell or the 2013-Holder. Lindy was not ready, Woodruff hurt, and Fitts was midweek quality

shoeless joe
04-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Gary Henderson is earning his money. Was interesting to hear cann comment on him during post game show Saturday

msstate7
04-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Gary Henderson is earning his money. Was interesting to hear cann comment on him during post game show Saturday

What was said?

shoeless joe
04-03-2017, 09:46 PM
What was said?

Was heeping praise and said he was the best pitching coach in the country and was solidifying his elite status with how he's helping the team.

msstate7
04-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Was heeping praise and said he was the best pitching coach in the country and was solidifying his elite status with how he's helping the team.

Nice.

Todd4State
04-03-2017, 09:53 PM

If we get to a regional as a 2 seed or better with this pitching staff after all of the injuries it's hard to argue with him.