PDA

View Full Version : I'm still salty about losing the national championship game

curmudgeon
04-03-2017, 03:27 PM
The officials outright tried to screw us against UConn with that retroactive foul crap. I hope Katie Lou is out of the ICU. Prayers for Katie Lou should be trending on Facebook.

Yeah yeah, we beat UConn, but we should have the trophy. While the panic of UConn losing a game made the officials outright cheat, we got screwed the old fashioned way against South Carolina in the title game.

Dawn Staley is the rising star in coaching. She's the first African American female coach to lead her team to a national title. What a great story. You can't have the family man that says Praise the Lord upending that feminist talking point.

Enter Dee Kantner. She was the head official in the national championship game.

You see Dee and Dawn go way back. Dee is from Charlotte and Dawn played for the Charlotte Sting in the WNBA. Dee also called WNBA games back when Dawn was playing. They are buddies, and this connection should bar Dee Kantner from calling any South Carolina games, much less the national title game.

In yesterday's game, the free throw discrepancy wasn't horrible (22-18 SC), but it seemed that Carolina got away with a lot. Every block/charge went SC's way and Aja Wilson is a badass, but two fouls with the battles that were going on inside.

In the SEC Championship game, South Carolina shot 28 free throws to our 9. Do you know who the head official of the SEC championship game was?

Dee Kantner. I mean Greenville isn't that far from her home in Charlotte.

And in January, when SC ended Mississippi State's 20-0 start with a three point win. Mississippi State was a horrible 3-for-9 from the line, and SC scored 21 from the line on 28 shots. I wonder who the head official of that game was?

It was Dee Kantner.

It goes back to 2015, when South Carolina won the SEC regular season with a win over MSU in Columbia. SC shot 24 free throws to MSU's 9 and who was the head official?

Dee Kantner.

https://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r960-6a440153de5e13ac5c45cd2ac0cb900b.jpg

AROB44
04-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Officiating didn't lose that game. SC was/is just better than us.

curmudgeon
04-03-2017, 03:36 PM
That's fine. But there were some very questionable calls and a known friend of Dawn Staley was the head official in all three of the MSU-South Carolina games this year.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 04:17 PM

Evenly called USCe probably still wins but the officiating didn't even give us a chance.

MaxedOutMaroon
04-03-2017, 04:22 PM
We just looked out of gas and Ill prepared to play. We should've won the first meeting but they beat us fairly in SEC and NAT championships. Moving on and taking pride n the run and history.

RocketDawg
04-03-2017, 04:32 PM
You bring up some good points. It's almost like S. Carolina is bringing their own official to the game. That should not be allowed to happen. In fact, the officiating team should have been from a neutral conference.

Officiating may not have directly lost this game for us, but it did for the other two during the season.

I don't like flops and pretending injury. But it seems to be a part of the game and our own players do it. So why not her? Until flops are penalized, they are going to happen. Golf is the only self-regulating game that I know of, when players call fouls on themselves. It's too bad that basketball, football, and baseball don't have equally ethical participants. So I don't have anything against Katie Lou ... she was just doing what was permitted and basically what she needed to do under the circumstances. But the extensive review should have not reached the conclusion that it did.

HSVDawg
04-03-2017, 04:33 PM
That's fine. But there were some very questionable calls and a known friend of Dawn Staley was the head official in all three of the MSU-South Carolina games this year.

Honest question, what evidence do you have that they are friends? Was it mentioned by the announcers in any games this year? Have you confirmed by facebook? Just because she officiated her old WNBA games doesn't mean anything. Thats some next level black helicopter shit.

For the record, the officiating definitely cost us to a certain extent in the first 2 games against SC, but not last night. There were several times I saw us get away with over the back or a stray elbow. There were bad calls both ways but it all came out in the wash.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Honest question, what evidence do you have that they are friends? Was it mentioned by the announcers in any games this year? Have you confirmed by facebook? Just because she officiated her old WNBA games doesn't mean anything. Thats some next level black helicopter shit.

For the record, the officiating definitely cost us to a certain extent in the first 2 games against SC, but not last night. There were several times I saw us get away with over the back or a stray elbow. There were bad calls both ways but it all came out in the wash.

I think we had some quick whistles at the beginning that caused us to be tentative. It definitely took us out of our game. USCe was dropping the shoulder and bulldozing into the lane and never was called for a charge but Victoria was on a bullshit call. The fouls might have ended up closer which was not the case either of the previous times we played but the game was not called the same at both ends.

drunkernhelldawg
04-03-2017, 04:40 PM
The officiating was fine. Our ladies needed to stop fouling and they couldn't manage to do that.

The call in the UConn game was both correct and outside of the bounds of referee judgment. It has to be called. My objection was that they didn't review a play earlier in the game that looked like one of our players may have taken head contact.

Maroon Diapers
04-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Look at how many charges we took over the season. I don't think we got a single charge call last night. This allowed them to drive the basket at will and out of control all game without fearing the possibility of an offensive foul. Definitely changed the complexion of their offense for the remainder of the game.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Look at how many charges we took over the season. I don't think we got a single charge call last night. This allowed them to drive the basket at will and out of control all game without fearing the possibility of an offensive foul. Definitely changed the complexion of their offense for the remainder of the game.

It also led to 0 3pt attempts and higher percentage shots by them. We became tentative on defense because early we were being called for blocking every time they drove the lane. USCe was allowed to initiate contact but they weren't getting called for the same on the defensive end. I doubt we win but the calls didn't give us much of a chance at all.

Mimi's Babies
04-03-2017, 05:00 PM
The officials outright tried to screw us against UConn with that retroactive foul crap. I hope Katie Lou is out of the ICU. Prayers for Katie Lou should be trending on Facebook.

Yeah yeah, we beat UConn, but we should have the trophy. While the panic of UConn losing a game made the officials outright cheat, we got screwed the old fashioned way against South Carolina in the title game.

Dawn Staley is the rising star in coaching. She's the first African American female coach to lead her team to a national title. What a great story. You can't have the family man that says Praise the Lord upending that feminist talking point.

You see Dee and Dawn go way back. Dee is from Charlotte and Dawn played for the Charlotte Sting in the WNBA. Dee also called WNBA games back when Dawn was playing. They are buddies, and this connection should bar Dee Kantner from calling any South Carolina games, much less the national title game.

In yesterday's game, the free throw discrepancy wasn't horrible (22-18 SC), but it seemed that Carolina got away with a lot. Every block/charge went SC's way and Aja Wilson is a badass, but two fouls with the battles that were going on inside.

In the SEC Championship game, South Carolina shot 28 free throws to our 9. Do you know who the head official of the SEC championship game was?

And in January, when SC ended Mississippi State's 20-0 start with a three point win. Mississippi State was a horrible 3-for-9 from the line, and SC scored 21 from the line on 28 shots. I wonder who the head official of that game was?

It was Dee Kantner.

It goes back to 2015, when South Carolina won the SEC regular season with a win over MSU in Columbia. SC shot 24 free throws to MSU's 9 and who was the head official?

Dee Kantner.

This woman is AWFUL....
Did anyone else see the girl against Morgan -- bullying her on the floor...

HSVDawg
04-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Charges / blocking are always arbitrarily called to some degree. Its like a strike zone in baseball. Just like some umps have a wide or tight zone, basketball refs have varying interpretations of a charge vs a block. Pretty much every collision last night both ways was a block except for one charge on us which was blatantly obvious. Thats the way they were calling it and it was pretty consistent both ways. USC adapted by attacking the basket while we just sat back and threw up off-balanced jump shots early in the shot clock. Just another area where they were better than us.

Liverpooldawg
04-03-2017, 05:32 PM

It did the one in Columbia. Win that one and we are a one seed too.

shannondawg
04-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Didn't know her name , and didn't know any history, but what I have seen in the past from her and said to myself uh oh, this ain't good.

3rdGen
04-03-2017, 05:51 PM

It was Dee Kantner.

Dee Kantner.

I am still salty as well. I took it out on the gym this afternoon and it helped some but it still stings. The thing I hate is I have had two opportunities to see STATE play for a natty and we choked in both. At the same time I think about my dad who has waited 30 -35 years to see this stuff and I feel better about where we are. But he is a huge basketball fan and I know he would have liked to see us win that game. Gonna drink some to next year. I think we will be better but will miss Dillingham.

msbulldog
04-03-2017, 05:53 PM
I questioned several blocking calls last night, until I saw the replays and our players feet were moving. I think our players were worn out and could not get in front of the SC players to get a clean charge.

smootness
04-03-2017, 06:00 PM

We were late on them, it was clear the borderline calls were going to be blocks, yet we kept trying it. I only saw one I thought should have been a charge, and I'm not impartial.

smootness
04-03-2017, 06:01 PM
I questioned several blocking calls last night, until I saw the replays and our players feet were moving. I think our players were worn out and could not get in front of the SC players to get a clean charge.

Yep. Nailed it.

Liverpooldawg
04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
In all three games it was the non-calls on Wilson that had the most impact in the game. She was allowed to play like a bull in a china shop, esp on the boards and on the offensive end. I didn't realize there was a common denominator with the officials. That shouldn't EVER be allowed every time two teams play in a year.

Ari Gold
04-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Basketball officials aren't good. And the women ones are worse.

drunkernhelldawg
04-03-2017, 06:33 PM
In all three games it was the non-calls on Wilson that had the most impact in the game. She was allowed to play like a bull in a china shop, esp on the boards and on the offensive end. I didn't realize there was a common denominator with the officials. That shouldn't EVER be allowed every time two teams play in a year.

But that's very common when you have a superior player. I'm old enough to have suffered through cheering for the Cavs with Jordan and Pippen on the other side. I always thought Jordan was getting a away with murder. Sometimes he was getting no calls on push offs, but I've decided that a lot of it was just his ability to play at a higher level. I simply did not have the basketball sophistication to see it. That USC star played a massively solid game against us. It was not about the refs.

Liverpooldawg
04-03-2017, 07:01 PM
But that's very common when you have a superior player. I'm old enough to have suffered through cheering for the Cavs with Jordan and Pippen on the other side. I always thought Jordan was getting a away with murder. Sometimes he was getting no calls on push offs, but I've decided that a lot of it was just his ability to play at a higher level. I simply did not have the basketball sophistication to see it. That USC star played a massively solid game against us. It was not about the refs.
Watch a replay. Wilson is good. But she wouldn't be nearly as good if she played by the same rules everybody else does.

As an aside I've never understood MSU fans' propensity to work very hard at explaining away things that go against us and making it look like our fault.

HSVDawg
04-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Watch a replay. Wilson is good. But she wouldn't be nearly as good if she played by the same rules everybody else does.

As an aside I've never understood MSU fans' propensity to work very hard at explaining away things that go against us and making it look like our fault.

And I've never understood MSU fans that can't watch us go 0-3 against the same team in one season (with all 3 of those games being with the highest of stakes on the line up to the point that it was played) and not realize that the other team is just clearly better and it doesn't have to be anybody's fault.

LC Dawg
04-03-2017, 09:49 PM

This is the answer to this entire thread. Our girls were half a step slow on defense. It happens. We're #2 and that's not bad.

Percho
04-03-2017, 09:53 PM

It was Dee Kantner.

Dee Kantner.

Last nights officials were:

Dee Kantner, Brenda Pantoja and Tina Napier

1/23/17 at South Carolina

Officials: Dee Kantner, Tina Napier, Bryan Enterline

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Yes, Wilson would drop her shoulder and still get fouls called. She also continously went over the back but it was never called.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 10:00 PM
And I've never understood MSU fans that can't watch us go 0-3 against the same team in one season (with all 3 of those games being with the highest of stakes on the line up to the point that it was played) and not realize that the other team is just clearly better and it doesn't have to be anybody's fault.

You obviously didn't watch the regular season game because without the refs we would have beat the shit out of them. We barely lost and the refs were the only reason it wasn't an easy win. Yesterday USCe was the better team but we were straight up robbed during the season.

archdog
04-03-2017, 10:14 PM
It also led to 0 3pt attempts and higher percentage shots by them. We became tentative on defense because early we were being called for blocking every time they drove the lane. USCe was allowed to initiate contact but they weren't getting called for the same on the defensive end. I doubt we win but the calls didn't give us much of a chance at all.

My question is, why didn't we go zone in the second quarter. Getting whipped on the offensive glass, go zone. Getting whipped by one big, go zone. Make them make some shots. Switch off and on throughout the game. Seems like we were getting beat man to man versus the refs.

drunkernhelldawg
04-04-2017, 09:07 AM

It ain't about fault. I'm just trying to be accurate. Wilson killed us by making just about every play. It was not about the refs.

drunkernhelldawg
04-04-2017, 09:10 AM
You obviously didn't watch the regular season game because without the refs we would have beat the shit out of them. We barely lost and the refs were the only reason it wasn't an easy win. Yesterday USCe was the better team but we were straight up robbed during the season.

I remember feeling that about a call late in the game.

This thread needs some video clips broken down. I love the topic.

smootness
04-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Your obsession with the idea that the refs are conspiring against us is bizarre.

Wilson is a phenomenal player, probably the best player in the country this year. Arguing that she's only at that level because of officiating is asinine.

smootness
04-04-2017, 09:11 AM

I would agree with this. The officiating was horrible in our first game against SC. It wasn't in the title game.

KB21
04-04-2017, 09:23 AM
It ain't about fault. I'm just trying to be accurate. Wilson killed us by making just about every play. It was not about the refs.

She killed us by consistently lowering her shoulder to initiate contact, which should be called as an offensive foul, going over the back, and she also set several moving screens. It's a lot like out UCONN would set picks using their elbows and knocking our players to the ground and getting no call.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 09:26 AM
I would agree with this. The officiating was horrible in our first game against SC. It wasn't in the title game.

I would say the officiating in the title game wasn't to the point of it changed who would have won but it did affect how we played. We were a lot less aggressive after they were calling any little contact but USC was very aggressive and called for very little. Just the amount of times Wilson rebounded over McCowan, no chance she does that without going over the back but it was never called. The announcers even mentioned it once or twice. With neutral officiating it would have been closer but we didn't shoot well enough to win.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 09:29 AM
She killed us by consistently lowering her shoulder to initiate contact, which should be called as an offensive foul, going over the back, and she also set several moving screens. It's a lot like out UCONN would set picks using their elbows and knocking our players to the ground and getting no call.

This was something I kept getting pissed about on top of the refs called us for something like it away from the ball that they never showed what happened. It could have be legit but they never showed what happened.

KB21
04-04-2017, 09:35 AM
This was something I kept getting pissed about on top of the refs called us for something like it away from the ball that they never showed what happened. It could have be legit but they never showed what happened.

The outcome may not have changed, but what took the air out of MSU's balloon was the no call when USC almost took Breanna Richardson's arm off and there was no call. Two free throws there cuts the lead to 2 points. I can't remember who it was, but someone on twitter made the comment that he hoped they got Richardson's arm off the court so no one would trip and fall over it after the USC player took it off.

Liverpooldawg
04-04-2017, 09:41 AM

Just go watch Wilson in the three games with us. She is very good, but she was allowed to get away with murder and you couldn't really touch her. The game in Columbia was the worst one by far. I'm not sure it would have mattered Sunday, but it dang sure did in that one. It's also just plain strange that we had the same ref for all three games. Even you can't argue with that.

Liverpooldawg
04-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Your obsession with the idea that the refs are conspiring against us is bizarre.

Wilson is a phenomenal player, probably the best player in the country this year. Arguing that she's only at that level because of officiating is asinine.
Go back and watch the game in Columbia.

Liverpooldawg
04-04-2017, 09:43 AM

Yes.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 09:44 AM
The outcome may not have changed, but what took the air out of MSU's balloon was the no call when USC almost took Breanna Richardson's arm off and there was no call. Two free throws there cuts the lead to 2 points. I can't remember who it was, but someone on twitter made the comment that he hoped they got Richardson's arm off the court so no one would trip and fall over it after the USC player took it off.

Yes, they were letting USC be more physical on defense but if we bumped them driving to the hoop they got to the line. It didn't matter if they dropped their head and charged in there like a bull in a china shop. We still lost because we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even when we were in the post.

KB21
04-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Yes, they were letting USC be more physical on defense but if we bumped them driving to the hoop they got to the line. It didn't matter if they dropped their head and charged in there like a bull in a china shop. We still lost because we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even when we were in the post.

Yep. The way the shots MSU took looked, it was obvious the girls did not have their legs.

Tbonewannabe
04-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Just go watch Wilson in the three games with us. She is very good, but she was allowed to get away with murder and you couldn't really touch her. The game in Columbia was the worst one by far. I'm not sure it would have mattered Sunday, but it dang sure did in that one. It's also just plain strange that we had the same ref for all three games. Even you can't argue with that.

Same 2 refs, only 1 was changed from the game in Columbia. My wife played a lot of basketball through high school and she said the Columbia game was the worst officiating she has ever seen. She normally calls bullshit on me if I bitch about any calls because that is just part of the game. The crew that called the game in Columbia shouldn't be allowed to ref a 6 year old game much less the National Title. They weren't as bad on Sunday but they weren't very good either.

drunkernhelldawg
04-04-2017, 09:53 AM

I didn't realize we had the same ref in each game. That is a bite.

smootness
04-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Go back and watch the game in Columbia.

Did you read my next post?

Mimi's Babies
04-04-2017, 03:44 PM

I agree.... Did you watch Morgan being bullied on the court or was it just me.....

Mimi's Babies
04-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Last nights officials were:

Dee Kantner, Brenda Pantoja and Tina Napier

1/23/17 at South Carolina

Officials: Dee Kantner, Tina Napier, Bryan Enterline

These two need to go HOME... When I saw who the refs were I knew we were in trouble..... Morgan was KNOCKED down and NOTHING was done...
I believe that BOTH of these should be FIRED..... DO NOT LET THEM BACK into the HUMP

Percho
04-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Kantner actually called the SEC Tourney game also.

Mimi's Babies
04-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Kantner actually called the SEC Tourney game also.

So we had TWO refs that had ALREADY CALLED 3 games against us and SC... Then did they not also call games in OK City?

This mess should have NEVER HAPPENED.... and the NCAA needs to address this....

Percho
04-04-2017, 04:34 PM
So we had TWO refs that had ALREADY CALLED 3 games against us and SC... Then did they not also call games in OK City?

This mess should have NEVER HAPPENED.... and the NCAA needs to address this....

Two had called two games and one, Kantner called all three.

Mimi's Babies
04-04-2017, 04:41 PM
WHY was this ALLOWED to happen.... In those three games we had HELL with the REFS.... just saying... Look at what happened with DD and the flag...

Did any of these call games during the NCAA Term.

Something STINKS here and her name is Kantner... to start with........