04-02-2017, 08:13 PM
IF true....
It is called DISCIPLINE.....

Quaoarsking
04-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Pretty obviously false

Commercecomet24
04-02-2017, 08:17 PM
You gotta love Vic. He's not afraid to send a message that the team is first, no matter who the player is or what the circumstances. Now I don't know if that rumor is true or not but it's obvious she didn't respond like Vic wanted. He said at the end of first quarter people were just standing around and if you're tired you ain't gonna be out there.

C222
04-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Definitely not the time to be sending messages. We cut it to 4 in the 4th. Our best player should have been in the game.

confucius say
04-02-2017, 08:25 PM
She had a good stretch in the third quarter before she was pulled. Was playing well. She's the engine that drives our offense. Better be a good reason she was benched.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-02-2017, 08:26 PM
If true...good

GTHOM
04-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Definitely not the time to be sending messages. We cut it to 4 in the 4th. Our best player should have been in the game.

Completely disagree. She wasnt playing well and was obviously exhausted. We dont win even with her in the game. It was unrealistic of us to win that game, we were out of gas. SC beat us 3 times this year

msstate7
04-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Completely disagree. She wasnt playing well and was obviously exhausted. We dont win even with her in the game. It was unrealistic of us to win that game, we were out of gas. SC beat us 3 times this year

William in 23 mins...

8 pts -- 12 by VV was leader

4 assists -- no one else had more than 1. 8 total by team

4 FTs -- team leader

1 steal -- tied for team lead

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-02-2017, 08:28 PM
William was sit for rolling eyes at Vic

If that was his reason, I saw on the TV replay when she did it. It was on the sidelines when he was trying to talk to her about her play and she rolled her eyes and walked away.

C222
04-02-2017, 08:30 PM

She wasn't playing bad enough to be benched for an entire quarter when we were in the game in the 4th quarter.

GTHOM
04-02-2017, 08:31 PM
William in 23 mins...

4 FTs -- team leader

And we were still getting beat handily. Their PG was beating her up and down the floor. SC beat us 3 times. They had a much better draw than we did and the biggest factor was us having to play UConn. We had nothing left it showed. Nothing to be ashamed of

C222
04-02-2017, 08:34 PM
And we were still getting beat handily. Their PG was beating her up and down the floor. SC beat us 3 times. They had a much better draw than we did and the biggest factor was us having to play UConn. We had nothing left it showed. Nothing to be ashamed of

We were down 4 in the 4th

msstate7
04-02-2017, 08:35 PM
She wasn't playing bad enough to be benched for an entire quarter when we were in the game in the 4th quarter.

I agree. She was our MVP in this tourney run and we benched her in the championship game.

IMissJack
04-02-2017, 08:38 PM
I agree. She was our MVP in this tourney run and we benched her in the championship game.

I'm not going to second guess Vic at this point. Still think he is one of the best coaches we have ever had at any sport.

C222
04-02-2017, 08:40 PM
I'm not going to second guess Vic at this point. Still think he is one of the best coaches we have ever had at any sport.

I agree. I just don't think benching her was the right call in that game.

Commercecomet24
04-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Vic definitely gets the benefit of the doubt. We aren't even in this game without his coaching.

BrunswickDawg
04-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Remember - this wasn't her first benching either. She got benched for similar reasons along with the other starters the first two games of the tournament.

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Whatever Vic reason was is good enough. He's the coach and no one on this board has an even remote inkling to question the decision. It is what it is. Outstanding season and the beginnings of us being a perennial power. Enjoy it.

LC Dawg
04-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Who on SPS was Coach Schaefer reaching out to so that the public could have this information?

msstate7
04-02-2017, 08:53 PM
I agree. I just don't think benching her was the right call in that game.

My thoughts too. William wasn't the only one that got punished... our whole team was punished to prove a point to William

Commercecomet24
04-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Whatever Vic reason was is good enough. He's the coach and no one on this board has an even remote inkling to question the decision. It is what it is. Outstanding season and the beginnings of us being a perennial power. Enjoy it.

You nailed it again!

HSVDawg
04-02-2017, 08:54 PM
William in 23 mins...

4 FTs -- team leader

If you know Vic, you'd know none of that matters if he didn't like what he was seeing on the defensive end.

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 08:57 PM
My thoughts too. William wasn't the only one that got punished... our whole team was punished to prove a point to William

Once again you prove you have no real concept of sports and what they are about. Keep plugging away.

confucius say
04-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Remember - this wasn't her first benching either. She got benched for similar reasons along with the other starters the first two games of the tournament.

False. She was the only starter not benched.

Bodaski
04-02-2017, 09:01 PM
If that was his reason, I saw on the TV replay when she did it. It was on the sidelines when he was trying to talk to her about her play and she rolled her eyes and walked away.

If that is true, she was right where she should have been. Hitting the winning shot in a magical game and setting doesn't qualify you to be able to disrespect your coach, I don't care who you are.

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:06 PM
If a player disrespects a coach during a game for all to see then bench their ass. Playing is a privelege folks. Hell we had more energy when she was out anyway. We just got beat by a better team. Doesn't take away the fact we played for a national championship...again. It's a good thing.

Corn Bread
04-02-2017, 09:06 PM
I will side with the ball coach on this. Disrespect has no play time regardless of the situation. Actually coached my daughter years early in soccer. Removed her from a match and her mom took her home. Vic did the right move.

confucius say
04-02-2017, 09:17 PM
I'm fine with Vic benching her if true. Just as long as he understands any chance of winning a natty was gone once he did.

Dawgface
04-02-2017, 09:17 PM
If a player disrespects a coach during a game for all to see then bench their ass. Playing is a privelege folks. Hell we had more energy when she was out anyway. We just got beat by a better team. Doesn't take away the fact we played for a national championship...again. It's a good thing.

Correct. Coaches like Hugh Frigging Freeze would have left the player in no matter what. I'm glad we have a coach that won't.

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Correct. Coaches like Hugh Frigging Freeze would have left the player in no matter what. I'm glad we have a coach that won't.

Not just freeze... I can't think of an example of a star player being benched in a championship game like that ever in any sport

cheewgumm
04-02-2017, 09:23 PM
I just hope Mullen gets this much understanding come football season.

I doubt "Don't question the coach" will be the mantra then.

Dawgface
04-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Not just freeze... I can't think of an example of a star player being benched in a championship game like that ever in any sport

You just don't get it man.

I_Spy
04-02-2017, 09:25 PM
South Carolina has always been successful at making Dillingham have to lead the offense. You know, Mo and even V wanted to go out guns blazing but Vic wouldn't let them. Hit or miss both were ready to just jack.

Dillingham hit or shots but being how she was miraculously left open ..

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:26 PM
You just don't get it man.

I don't even know if the rumor is true. William could very well have deserved to be benched. I'm just saying I can't think of another instance of something like this ever happening in a championship/playoff type game

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:27 PM

Got that right. Mullen hasn't made it out of spring without being ripped

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:28 PM

Oh that's right Mullen has taken football from nothing and played for a national title....

basedog
04-02-2017, 09:28 PM

You are becoming the worse poster on ED.

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Oh that's right Mullen has taken football from nothing and played for a national title....

Nothing to #1. Mullen is a protected coach on here though

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:29 PM

lol Rep given

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:30 PM

Has Mullen taken us to the final game?

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:30 PM

What's incorrect in my post? Name 1 time a star player has been benched like that in a championship type game

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:31 PM

How in the hell is he protected? You yourself said he can't get out of spring without being ripped

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Has Mullen taken us to the final game?

Cohen has. Does that stop you from ripping him?

I seen it dawg
What's incorrect in my post? Name 1 time a star player has been benched like that in a championship type game

I venture most if not all "star" players dont put themselves in that spot.

msstate7
How in the hell is he protected? You yourself said he can't get out of spring without being ripped

Should've been "isn't", obviously

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Cohen has. Does that stop you from ripping him?

Whoa you brought up Mullen...now you are changing it when you sound ****ing stupid and are flat wrong. I'm not getting into this with you because you are wrong and it won't change. Carry on.

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:34 PM
I venture most if not all "star" players dont put themselves in that spot.

Then should we consider moving on from William? If we can't count on her to not disrespect the coach in the biggest game, we really can't count on her moving forward. Correct?

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Should've been "isn't", obviously

He shouldn't be protected. If Vic goes the equivalent of 5-7 in his 8th yr then he will get his ass ripped too. Right now Vic has earned the right to not get ripped.

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Then should we consider moving on from William? If we can't count on her to not disrespect the coach in the biggest game, we really can't count on her moving forward. Correct?

Can't speculate on that. Only Schaefer knows that answer. You damn sure don't.

lamont
04-02-2017, 09:35 PM
We were down 4 in the 4th

and we made that happen without her in the game- if Viv hits that 3 that was just a tad long- its a 1 point game without William

Vic made the decision and we have to stand by it

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:36 PM

It's kind of like you on the board....we know we can't count on you to make smart posts but by god we keep you around in hopes of one day it happening.

basedog
04-02-2017, 09:36 PM
We could have played 6 players at the same time tonight and still not beat SC.

You still think Gridley shouldn't hit third? The list goes on brother. Take a rest dude!

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:37 PM
and we made that happen without her in the game- if Viv hits that 3 that was just a tad long- its a 1 point game without William

Vic made the decision and we have to stand by it

So hard to see that.

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:37 PM

You still think Gridley shouldn't hit third? The list goes on brother. Take a rest dude!

Or play SS for us. Belmont head and shoulders above. Oh and he's gonna drop bombs this yr too.

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Whoa you brought up Mullen...now you are changing it when you sound ****ing stupid and are flat wrong. I'm not getting into this with you because you are wrong and it won't change. Carry on.

Just trying to keep the criteria for questioning a coach straight. If a coach takes us to a championship game, he can't be questioned unless it's cohen.

I've been painted as anti-Vic for some reason and that's not the case. Vic is our best coach in any sport. Doesn't mean I won't question anything he does. Hell Saban lost his team a championship this year... coaches, even the best, do questionable things that backfire from time to time

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:39 PM
!

Yeah, I'm the dumb one

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I'm the dumb one

You finally did it!!! Took over 31,000 but smartest post of your career. Rep given

msstate7
04-02-2017, 09:42 PM
You finally did it!!! Smartest post of your career. Rep given

I knew you were gonna say that haha

MetEdDawg
04-02-2017, 09:42 PM
All of you trophy chasers have to remember that this girls have to leave this university and do something with themselves once they get out. If you are a good coach, you find success because of the systems you have in place and because everyone knows the consequences when you don't follow those systems. The girls and their future are more important than the trophy.

This culture of chasing trophies because winning is everything is the new norm in amateur sports and it's extremely scary. I understand wanting the best for your university. I do too. But Vic is in charge of teaching these girls how to do things correctly. He did what he did and if that's why, I support him 100%. And trust me, you think benching your star in the championship game didn't send a message? He just built up a crap ton of collateral on discipline for the future.

basedog
04-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm the dumb one

Yep, you even admit it!

lamont
04-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Nothing to #1.

and then he lost 3 straight and finished outside the top 10. Vic went Sweet 16, Championship game, returns really good players and signed some 5-stars for next year. He will keep on rolling. Since Mullen's fall from #1- we are 15-14 in football. I think we all know Vic's teams will remain in the top 20

I seen it dawg
04-02-2017, 09:45 PM
I knew you were gonna say that haha

Has Mullen taken us to the final game? Simple question

shoeless joe
04-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Easy to tell those that have had to coach young folks and those that have not...

I'm not talking about U12 anything

dawg93
04-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Go back and watch the first quarter. She had no energy on the defensive end and looked lethargic at best. That early block on her shot in the first seemed to take her out of her offensive game. She was a different player tonight for whatever reason and Vic had to try to make it happen elsewhere. He knows what he is doing better than any of us. He has punched the right buttons all year long.

USC is just a bad matchup for us. We have nobody that can guard Wilson when she catches it from 15-18 feet out and puts it on the floor. Not many teams do. That is like a 6-10 men's player being able to do that at the college level. We could play them 10 times and be lucky to get more than 3, even though the talent is about even. Wilson is just that big of a difference maker. Give her and her team credit.

That being said...we better get 'em next year at the Hump. 0-11 against the team you are battling for conference supremacy over Vic's 5 seasons is starting to wear a little thin is a wall we have to break through. He has us at the door. We will keep recruiting at a high level and stay there.

C222
04-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Nothing anyone says is going to make me agree with benching your star player in the National Championship game. Play to win the game. Discipline her later. Love Vic. I just don't agree with that call.

lamont
04-02-2017, 09:56 PM
SC had someone that was as quick as William- neutralizing her quickness.
SC had someone that could guard Viv
SC had someone alot damn better than McCowan.

They were bigger, stronger, and quicker than us. Thats why we looked slow- because they got in our ass from. They hammered us on the boards and pounded us in the paint. They were the better basketball team.

William was ineffective because she had someone that could guard her. She was frustrated and Vic riding her ass didnt help. But the bottom line is that you cant disrespect your coach during a game. Its that kind of shit that got Stands fired. You arent going to do that to Vic

msstate7
04-02-2017, 10:00 PM

They were bigger, stronger, and quicker than us. Thats why we looked slow- because they got in our ass from. They hammered us on the boards and pounded us in the paint. They were the better basketball team.

William was ineffective because she had someone that could guard her. She was frustrated and Vic riding her ass didnt help. But the bottom line is that you cant disrespect your coach during a game. Its that kind of shit that got Stands fired. You arent going to do that to Vic

William had 8 points in 23 mins. Only VV (12) and DD (11) had more.

William made 4 FTs... led team

William had 4 assists and no one else had more than 1. We had 8 total.

William wasn't dominating tonight, but "ineffective" is a big stretch

Commercecomet24
04-02-2017, 10:07 PM

Don't always agree with you but this dead on accurate.

Commercecomet24
04-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Maybe instead of trying to put this on Vic we should look at the player and her not getting it done tonight. Love Morgan William and not taking anything away from what she's done but she didn't have it tonight and you can't disrespect your coach championship or not.

msstate7
04-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Maybe instead of trying to put this on Vic we should look at the player and her not getting it done tonight. Love Morgan William and not taking anything away from what she's done but she didn't have it tonight and you can't disrespect your coach championship or not.

If William did something worthy of being benched tonight after doing the same to start the tourney, might need to move on from her. Her actions really hurt the team tonight assuming it was disciplinary

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Kind of weird that if Vic gets blown out by UCONN he doesn't get any shit. He beats uconn and loses the next game...buncha shit.

msstate7
04-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Kind of weird that if Vic gets blown out by UCONN he doesn't get any shit. He beats uconn and loses the next game...buncha shit.

Define "buncha shit". Hell, I wanna give him a big raise

cheewgumm
04-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Agree, I think sitting Morgan was a mistake but I'd give the guy a raise and tell to keep going.

The coach can be questioned...and defended.

lamont
04-02-2017, 10:27 PM
William had 8 points in 23 mins. Only VV (12) and DD (11) had more.

William made 4 FTs... led team

William had 4 assists and no one else had more than 1. We had 8 total.

William wasn't dominating tonight, but "ineffective" is a big stretch

She played the 4th most minutes- Holmes scored 6 points in 17 mins

The only time we were back in the game after the 1st Q was when she was on the bench

mstatefan91
04-02-2017, 10:34 PM
IF IF IF this is true (strong emphasis on if), then coach Vic did the right thing. Championship be damned, the coach always deserves respect. This is the biggest problem with my generation. Adults and authority figures, in general, no longer demand this.

Beaver
04-02-2017, 10:50 PM
It wasn't going to matter if William played the 4th or not. After the first 5 minutes of the game, you could tell SC was the better and faster team tonight. Contrast that to the first 5 minutes of the UCONN game where you knew we could hang with them...

msstate7
04-02-2017, 11:10 PM
So was Vic asked about William postgame?

mstatefan91
04-02-2017, 11:15 PM

If he was, he chose not to answer it directly because most still don't know the exact reason. William was asked and she basically said that whatever coach says goes and that's that.

msstate7
04-02-2017, 11:19 PM
If he was, he chose not to answer it directly because most still don't know the exact reason. William was asked and she basically said that whatever coach says goes and that's that.

It was certainly disciplinary then.

Todd4State
04-02-2017, 11:28 PM
Why does shit like this happen to us at the worst possible time?

By now our players should know where the line is with our coaches. I certainly don't like the fact that Schaefer sat Williams- agree or disagree- but it pisses me off that Schaefer was even put in a situation where he had to make a decision on that.

If it's not this, it's Dan interviewing at Miami the week of Dak's last game, it's Eric Moulds and Derrick Taite fighting over a girl...as if Moulds didn't have plenty of girls already.

I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact that MSU football 1999 is about as close as perfection is going to come for MSU sports in my lifetime.

parabrave
04-02-2017, 11:30 PM
It was certainly disciplinary then.

Even one of the announcers during the 3rd period said something about being sat because of her actions.

TimberBeast
04-03-2017, 01:30 AM

You need to go back and read some of your bullshit from football season and then read this thread.

RC3
04-03-2017, 06:46 AM
IF she did in fact roll her eyes at him, the right call was made. STansbury lost his program here for not disciplining when something like this happened

Bubb Rubb
04-03-2017, 08:02 AM
It was cut to 4 with her on the bench. He challenged her and she got an attitude about it. She's important to the team, but it is a TEAM. He handled it the right way and she will learn from it.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 08:31 AM
It was cut to 4 with her on the bench. He challenged her and she got an attitude about it. She's important to the team, but it is a TEAM. He handled it the right way and she will learn from it.

And USCe was face guarding her which was taking her out of the offense anyway. She wasn't working hard to get the ball. It looked like she had tired legs, she couldn't get a shot off without it getting blocked.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-03-2017, 08:40 AM
William wasn't bringing the necessary energy to start the game and you could hear Shaefer on TV screaming at her to play harder. It started with that and finished with her attitude. If anyone questions Shaefer at this point, after sitting his starting lineup to start the tourney, beating UCONN, and making it to the Final Four, you're insane.

"Coach wanted more energy, and I guess I wasn't bringing enough," William said. "I'm not mad; Jazz did a good job. She had good energy on defense and offense, and she scored and made good passes. I'm proud of her."

Asked if Schaefer said anything to her about not putting her back in the game, William said, "He shouldn't have to. He's the coach. I'm just a player. Whatever he thinks is best, that's best for the team. I was just cheering my teammates on from the bench, just try to keep them going."

"It's basketball, and you've got to find a way," William said. "I was winded, but I tried to find a way. I tried to dig deep down inside. But it happens.

"I gave everything I've got [against UConn]. I gave it my all. This game, I gave my all the first couple of minutes, but I was tired in the first quarter. My teammates needed me; I'd come to the sideline and they were like, 'Mo, where you at?' I'm like, 'I'm here, I'm trying to find my second wind.'"

"When somebody pressures me like that, I have to find a way to get myself in the game and lead my team," William said. "They had Bianca on me everywhere I went, face-guarding me. It's like they wanted someone else to run the show. I couldn't get anything going, and it's my responsibility."

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19063927/mississippi-state-g-morgan-william-not-mad-being-benched-late-ncaa-final

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 08:46 AM
William wasn't bringing the necessary energy to start the game and you could hear Shaefer on TV screaming at her to play harder. It started with that and finished with her attitude. If anyone questions Shaefer at this point, after sitting his starting lineup to start the tourney, beating UCONN, and making it to the Final Four, you're insane.

"Coach wanted more energy, and I guess I wasn't bringing enough," William said. "I'm not mad; Jazz did a good job. She had good energy on defense and offense, and she scored and made good passes. I'm proud of her."

Asked if Schaefer said anything to her about not putting her back in the game, William said, "He shouldn't have to. He's the coach. I'm just a player. Whatever he thinks is best, that's best for the team. I was just cheering my teammates on from the bench, just try to keep them going."

"It's basketball, and you've got to find a way," William said. "I was winded, but I tried to find a way. I tried to dig deep down inside. But it happens.

"I gave everything I've got [against UConn]. I gave it my all. This game, I gave my all the first couple of minutes, but I was tired in the first quarter. My teammates needed me; I'd come to the sideline and they were like, 'Mo, where you at?' I'm like, 'I'm here, I'm trying to find my second wind.'"

"When somebody pressures me like that, I have to find a way to get myself in the game and lead my team," William said. "They had Bianca on me everywhere I went, face-guarding me. It's like they wanted someone else to run the show. I couldn't get anything going, and it's my responsibility."

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19063927/mississippi-state-g-morgan-william-not-mad-being-benched-late-ncaa-final

Blair didn't play much either after her few 3 attempts either airballed or hit the side of the backboard. USCe just matched up really well with us defensively and we couldn't make any shots.

bulldawg28
04-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Williams was dog tired the entire game and was being denied the ball. Another player was needed to step up in order for us to win the game. We hit 2 3's the entire night we got out coached and outplayed.

Liverpooldawg
04-03-2017, 09:28 AM

It's rare that we agree but this is spot on, even about Stans.

tcdog70
04-03-2017, 09:36 AM
She played the 4th most minutes- Holmes scored 6 points in 17 mins

The only time we were back in the game after the 1st Q was when she was on the bench

you are correct-Jazz played ok, when she gave the ball to Her teammates they bricked it. She did a better job on defense than Mo. Mo was just out of gas--I think her emotions were wore out also. Alot happened to her in the last 2 games. Not mad at Vic for taking her out--I'm sorta mad because he did the same-old-same-old. Shit Vic try something else. Run a zone-play your two bigs. SC made zero 3's. Damn if I would have just let 22 run over us every trip. She would have had to show me she can hit a 3. Why we can't run a trapping 1-3-1 with our Girls is beyond Me. we had dead legs and they just drove right by Us. When the Refs wouldn't call a charge then we were history.

thedawg
04-03-2017, 10:55 AM
I cant believe so many of yall are questioning Vic on this.. If she rolled her eyes at him and made it where he couldnt trust her to execute his plan Kudos to him for have the testicular fortitude to sit her ass on the bench in the biggest moment. No one was complaining when he sat all their asses to start the tournament because they weren't doing what he needed them to do down the stretch late in the season. Hes a great coach and I admire him even more if he really sat her for disciplinary reasons on the biggest stage. News flash as many have said she was out of gas and we werent beating them with her in there.

Liverpooldawg
04-03-2017, 10:58 AM
IF she did in fact roll her eyes at him, the right call was made. STansbury lost his program here for not disciplining when something like this happened

This is true. I sat low down near the bench during his final years. Eyes were rolled and players walked away all the time and nothing was ever done. If that's what happened then Vic did what he had to do.

maroonmania
04-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Agree, I think sitting Morgan was a mistake but I'd give the guy a raise and tell to keep going.

The coach can be questioned...and defended.

I was fine with sitting her for a while late in the game because its not like she was tearing it up anyway but even if you are benching her to prove a discipline point I don't really understand leaving her on the bench the entire 4th quarter. You don't punish the whole team because you think a player made a gesture that was maybe disrespectful in some way (exception would be if it was a repeat offense). You make your point and then move on and then you can discuss it with the player at greater length after the game. But I don't even know if that is why she sat the whole 4th quarter, it really could have been that Vic thought Holmes was our better matchup with SC in the second half.

maroonmania
04-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Just trying to keep the criteria for questioning a coach straight. If a coach takes us to a championship game, he can't be questioned unless it's cohen.

I've been painted as anti-Vic for some reason and that's not the case. Vic is our best coach in any sport. Doesn't mean I won't question anything he does. Hell Saban lost his team a championship this year... coaches, even the best, do questionable things that backfire from time to time

Well actually it shouldn't be Cohen. Out of Mullen, Cohen and Schaefer, Cohen is the only one of those 3 that has taken us to a NCAA championship game AND has an SEC title AND has an SEC tourney title. Schaefer still doesn't have either of those last 2 things although I think he will get them before he is done at State.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 12:54 PM
I was fine with sitting her for a while late in the game because its not like she was tearing it up anyway but even if you are benching her to prove a discipline point I don't really understand leaving her on the bench the entire 4th quarter. You don't punish the whole team because you think a player made a gesture that was maybe disrespectful in some way (exception would be if it was a repeat offense). You make your point and then move on and then you can discuss it with the player at greater length after the game. But I don't even know if that is why she sat the whole 4th quarter, it really could have been that Vic thought Holmes was our better matchup with SC in the second half.

Could have also been testing her. Most big time players would have been begging the coach to get back in the game, not just sitting on the bench. I appreciate her seeming to have a good attitude about it but if she wasn't begging to go back in the game then she wasn't ready to bring the energy Vic was demanding.

Dak in the 2013 EggBowl was hurt but when it came down to the 4th quarter, he told Mullen I am going in. Mullen would have had to physically hold him back to keep him off the field. That is the type of energy we needed but no one stepped up.

dawg93
04-03-2017, 12:58 PM
you are correct-Jazz played ok, when she gave the ball to Her teammates they bricked it. She did a better job on defense than Mo. Mo was just out of gas--I think her emotions were wore out also. Alot happened to her in the last 2 games. Not mad at Vic for taking her out--I'm sorta mad because he did the same-old-same-old. Shit Vic try something else. Run a zone-play your two bigs. SC made zero 3's. Damn if I would have just let 22 run over us every trip. She would have had to show me she can hit a 3. Why we can't run a trapping 1-3-1 with our Girls is beyond Me. we had dead legs and they just drove right by Us. When the Refs wouldn't call a charge then we were history.

Can't all of a sudden play a zone when we haven't played one ALL YEAR and probably not since Vic has been here. Same for the 1-3-1 trap. You can't put that stuff in on a Saturday shoot-a-round. It's a little more complicated than that. It's like saying a Power set running FB team should become a spread team in 2 days. A lot of people think the 2-3 zone is just basic and simple and you only give up outside shots. Not even close. There are multiple nuances to it that have to be played correctly for it to work. If you are playing a team that knows how to attack it, they will get more layups than against a man. I am pretty sure Staley would have known how to attack one. She ain't the Olympic coach for nothing.

mstatefan91
04-03-2017, 01:02 PM
The zone was never going to happen in this game. Maybe if we had had a week to prepare with film and multiple practices, we could have implemented it in spurts to confuse USC. But demanding a team that plays man 100% of the time to go into zone with one day of preparation is asinine.

maroonmania
04-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Could have also been testing her. Most big time players would have been begging the coach to get back in the game, not just sitting on the bench. I appreciate her seeming to have a good attitude about it but if she wasn't begging to go back in the game then she wasn't ready to bring the energy Vic was demanding.

Dak in the 2013 EggBowl was hurt but when it came down to the 4th quarter, he told Mullen I am going in. Mullen would have had to physically hold him back to keep him off the field. That is the type of energy we needed but no one stepped up.

After reading more of William's comments posted here it doesn't sound like it would have mattered if he put her back in or not because she basically was saying she was trying but was too exhausted to give the effort needed. A lot of players are gassed and don't realize they are gassed. When a player is saying that then they are really gassed. That would also explain why she wasn't in the Coach's ear wanting to be put back in.

was21
04-03-2017, 01:23 PM
fake news and alternative fact

sleepy dawg
04-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Coaches that don't are your Hugh Freezes and Rick Stansbury's. You see where their programs end up.

BayouDawg
04-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Got that right. Mullen hasn't made it out of spring without being ripped

Pop would bench parker's ass early in his career in the playoffs when tony tried to play hero ball. Hell pop has benched his entire starting lineup in a western conference finals game. It happens. And there aren't too many coaches left like this and it's a shame

basedog
04-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Haven't read one thing written where Vic took her out and Mo rolling her eyes. I think 7 just started some crap cause he didn't like the way Vic was coaching!

Post like this makes folks look stupid when they really don't know, especially 101 coaching! Vic summed it all up in his post game comments. SC guards were putting so much pressure on our guards and they took us out of our offense especially when Mo was in the game. Also SC guards where penetrating in the paint where they scored over 75% of their points and we couldn't stop their quickness and athleticism. Killed us on the boards, we had no answers for sure. SC was the best team in the country with the best player.

msstate7
04-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Haven't read one thing written where Vic took her out and Mo rolling her eyes. I think 7 just started some crap cause he didn't like the way Vic was coaching!

I stated where I read the rumor in the title of the thread, so stop thinking and read

basedog
04-03-2017, 01:55 PM
You just kept a rumor alive, SPS and ED may start a rumor for the hits, but why you, me or others want to pile on a Coach about a so call nonsense rumor is just bad! Vic knows what he is doing. Please show me where Vic took her out because of her eye rolling or Mo talking about it?

msstate7saygridain'tnothirdplacebatter** Now you stop thinking.

msstate7
04-03-2017, 02:05 PM
You just kept a rumor alive, SPS and ED may start a rumor for the hits, but why you, me or others want to pile on a Coach about a so call nonsense rumor is just bad! Vic knows what he is doing. Please show me where Vic took her out because of her eye rolling or Mo talking about it?

msstate7saygridain'tnothirdplacebatter** Now you stop thinking.

I didn't pile on anything. I've stated in every thread I think Vic is the best coach we have on campus. I've stated he deserves a big raise. If you can't question anything a coach does, there's really no point for a message board

basedog
04-03-2017, 02:14 PM
I didn't pile on anything. I've stated in every thread I think Vic is the best coach we have on campus. I've stated he deserves a big raise. If you can't question anything a coach does, there's really no point for a message board

It's not even a question 7. You posted about a rumor, he never said that was the reason, nor did Mo. You think Mo was having a good night when it was plan to see she was not and the SC guards where way quicker and took her out of game, Holmes was much better. As yo boy RP says "Come on mane"!

drunkernhelldawg
04-03-2017, 02:43 PM
I don't know what happened. The announcers anecdote about our tough practice was interesting. Yet I've got to believe in VS because of his record of success. Most of us remember the criticism of Richard Williams after his Final Four loss, that he was too tough on the players during the trip to New York. Bottom line though is that we all knew that South Carolina had a big part of our number and that our team had just beaten Uconn with high drama and intense emotion. I know I'm not the only one who did not consider us the favorite going into the game. Not to even mention the great performance by our opponent.

maroonmania
04-03-2017, 02:49 PM
I don't know what happened. The announcers anecdote about our tough practice was interesting. Yet I've got to believe in VS because of his record of success. Most of us remember the criticism of Richard Williams after his Final Four loss, that he was too tough on the players during the trip to New York. Bottom line though is that we all knew that South Carolina had a big part of our number and that our team had just beaten Uconn with high drama and intense emotion. I know I'm not the only one who did not consider us the favorite going into the game. Not to even mention the great performance by our opponent.

I really hope Vic didn't actually put them through a rough practice on Saturday because, if so, that was not smart at all. Saturday should have ALL been about physical recuperation and mental preparation. From the comments Schaefer made about ending so late on Friday and "trying to catch up" with everything after that I find it hard to believe that he would have had a rough practice after that. I mean we had already played SC twice this year so everyone knew what was coming.

mstatefan91
04-03-2017, 02:57 PM
I really hope Vic didn't actually put them through a rough practice on Saturday because, if so, that was not smart at all. Saturday should have ALL been about physical recuperation and mental preparation. From the comments Schaefer made about ending so late on Friday and "trying to catch up" with everything after that I find it hard to believe that he would have had a rough practice after that. I mean we had already played SC twice this year so everyone knew what was coming.

I have a hard time believing he put them through anything rough as well. Should have been an easy shoot around with emphasis on recovery.

tcdog70
04-03-2017, 03:13 PM
One of the Announcers said She watched the practice and it blew her mind. She was worried one of our players would get hurt. So I think the practice must have occurred. Doesn't seem like a very smart move . the way the we looked and as drag ass as we played it was pretty stupid. Could have spent that time installing a zone, just in case we couldn't stop dribble penetration on every trip.

dawgday166
04-03-2017, 03:24 PM
One of the Announcers said She watched the practice and it blew her mind. She was worried one of our players would get hurt. So I think the practice must have occurred. Doesn't seem like a very smart move . the way the we looked and as drag ass as we played it was pretty stupid. Could have spent that time installing a zone, just in case we couldn't stop dribble penetration on every trip.

I heard the announcer say that too ... don't think it was Lobo but another gal that played college ball. Said he was putting them through a tough rebounding drill that usually is used mostly in preseason and she couldn't believe it.

Not faulting Vic, without him we aren't here. But sometimes a coach's drive to win (especially against a nemesis) can cause him to overwork his players. Seen it happen once or twice. They had less than 48 hrs to recover from UConn game. I know that other than Holmes and Dillingham everyone seemed like they had real sluggish legs last night. They didn't play as fast as they have the last 2 games. And in last 2 games, if I'm not mistaken, Mo played all 90 minutes of those 2 games.

ETA: Bear Bryant admitted in his autobiography doing the same thing a time or two. Said he cost them those games when it happened.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Coaches that don't are your Hugh Freezes and Rick Stansbury's. You see where their programs end up.

Yep! Once you give in, you're screwed and they own you.

maroonmania
04-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Not faulting Vic, without him we aren't here.

Well if he did that then YES he can be faulted. He is a very good coach and apparently a great person but that doesn't mean he never makes mistakes. I thought we were worn down at the end of the SEC regular season and it cost us an SEC championship. We had no legs yesterday and having a practice like that could have been a big factor coming off the UConn game. You've got Morgan William right there saying she was trying to give it all she could but she had nothing left.

drunkernhelldawg
04-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Well if he did that then YES he can be faulted. He is a very good coach and apparently a great person but that doesn't mean he never makes mistakes. I thought we were worn down at the end of the SEC regular season and it cost us an SEC championship. We had no legs yesterday and having a practice like that could have been a big factor coming off the UConn game. You've got Morgan William right there saying she was trying to give it all she could but she had nothing left.

It may have been a psychological attempt by VS to bring them down to earth after the Uconn win. He barely had a day to do it. Possibly a miscalculation on his part, but not everything you try works. You just have to keep trying.

dawgday166
04-03-2017, 03:35 PM

I agree. If that is the case (and it was on Bo Bounds this morning too), then IMO it was a factor. Vic punched every button right to get us here, but maybe the last one he punched wrong. He can make mistakes too.

Everyone wants to say SC is better than us and rightfully so since they beat us 3 times this year. But if that practice happened like that and they only won by 12 ... I don't know. I know our gals weren't playing near as fast as they did against Baylor and UConn. Could be exhausted legs and some of it could be SC's D.

For the brief spurt in late 3rd and early 4th quarters, they played pretty fast then but just couldn't sustain it. And SC was having hard time when they did that.

maroonmania
04-03-2017, 03:56 PM
I agree. If that is the case (and it was on Bo Bounds this morning too), then IMO it was a factor. Vic punched every button right to get us here, but maybe the last one he punched wrong. He can make mistakes too.

Everyone wants to say SC is better than us and rightfully so since they beat us 3 times this year. But if that practice happened like that and they only won by 12 ... I don't know. I know our gals weren't playing near as fast as they did against Baylor and UConn. Could be exhausted legs and some of it could be SC's D.

For the brief spurt in late 3rd and early 4th quarters, they played pretty fast then but just couldn't sustain it. And SC was having hard time when they did that.

Sort of gives me a sickening feeling in my gut that he did that. Sapping what little energy our girls had left after the UConn win probably eliminated any chance we had to win yesterday.

dawgday166
04-03-2017, 03:59 PM
Sort of gives me a sickening feeling in my gut that he did that. Sapping what little energy our girls had left after the UConn win probably eliminated any chance we had to win yesterday.

Yea ... bums me out too if it for sure happened. Those gals deserved a championship as much as any team I've ever watched play ball.

drunkernhelldawg
04-03-2017, 04:00 PM

Like I say, he was probably trying something to get the focus where he felt he needed it. Too bad it didn't work, but I can't fault him for working on his team. It was an incredible challenge to get ready for the team that had beat us twice in the short time we had.

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Like I say, he was probably trying something to get the focus where he felt he needed it. Too bad it didn't work, but I can't fault him for working on his team. It was an incredible challenge to get ready for the team that had beat us twice in the short time we had.

He might have known rebounding was going to be a key and wanted to pound it into their head. It didn't help because we didn't block out at all the entire game. If we rebounded then we might have won. USCe had too many easy put backs on the offensive end.

dawgday166
04-03-2017, 04:15 PM
He might have known rebounding was going to be a key and wanted to pound it into their head. It didn't help because we didn't block out at all the entire game. If we rebounded then we might have won. USCe had too many easy put backs on the offensive end.

You're right ... we didn't block out well. Gotta have somewhat reasonably fresh legs to block out well. When legs are dead they don't want to move. Blocking out is all legs too.

I also believe you're right about Vic thinking that. That short of turnaround between games tho isn't long enough to address it physically.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2017, 04:17 PM

That was the key to this game. They got every rebound and put back it seemed like. Now they did go over the back several times but if they ain't calling it you got to adjust and we didn't. We did a very poor job blocking out.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2017, 04:18 PM
You're right ... we didn't block out well. Gotta have somewhat reasonably fresh legs to block out well. When legs are dead they don't want to move. Blocking out is all legs too.

I also believe you're right about Vic thinking that. That short of turnaround between games tho isn't long enough to address it physically tho.

We were definitely a step slow all night. Every important rebound and loose ball went there way. I noticed it to on all the blocking calls. Normally we get charges but they were blocks last night cause we were just late getting to the spot.