PDA

View Full Version : We are now #15 in rpi

CadaverDawg
04-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Unreal. We were like 100 2 weeks ago. Hail Damn State

Todd4State
04-01-2017, 05:35 PM
RPI is volitale like that. If we win the Kentucky and South Carolina series there is a very good chance we host a regional again as long as we take care of business down the stretch.

WeWonItAll(Most)
04-01-2017, 05:46 PM
RPI is volitale like that. If we win the Kentucky and South Carolina series there is a very good chance we host a regional again as long as we take care of business down the stretch.

I'm avoiding getting my hopes up, but that would be phenomenal considering what has happened to our roster since the end of last season. About how many SEC wins do you think that would take?

CadaverDawg
04-01-2017, 05:56 PM
#8 Strength of Schedule too

BeardoMSU
04-01-2017, 06:02 PM
#8 Strength of Schedule too

I guess we'll lose out***

http://i1.wp.com/shepherdproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/too-good-to-be-true.gif?fit=386%2C216

CadaverDawg
04-01-2017, 06:13 PM
I guess we'll lose out***

http://i1.wp.com/shepherdproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/too-good-to-be-true.gif?fit=386%2C216

Just imagine Year 2 of this 3 year rebuild

Commercecomet24
04-01-2017, 06:33 PM

I love it!

Todd4State
04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
I'm avoiding getting my hopes up, but that would be phenomenal considering what has happened to our roster since the end of last season. About how many SEC wins do you think that would take?

It's too soon to know but I would guess around 18 or so would have us as a solid host. Assuming we don't lose to Mississippi Valley and tank it during mideek.

WSOPdawg
04-01-2017, 06:46 PM

We gotta tap the brakes and just take it one series at a time. I know what you're saying about winning the KY and SC series (it will position us real good for hosting), but it's only a matter of time before our limited pitching comes back to bite us in the rear. But I am so proud of the way Coach Cann and the team has turned it around.

Todd4State
04-01-2017, 06:55 PM
We gotta tap the brakes and just take it one series at a time. I know what you're saying about winning the KY and SC series (it will position us real good for hosting), but it's only a matter of time before our limited pitching comes back to bite us in the rear. But I am so proud of the way Coach Cann and the team has turned it around.

Absolutely. We have a lot of work to do and even if we play well against Kentucky and South Carolina we still will have a lot of work to do.

Winning at Ole Miss was a great step in the right direction. We need to ball out against Kentucky in Starkville and find a way to win our games against FIU this week as well. Very difficult to do with a pitching staff that is pieced together literally at bat to at bat.

MarketingBully
04-01-2017, 06:56 PM
I have to say Coach Cann is an awesome coach. I had my doubts early but he is really starting to transition well to being the head guy. If we hadn't had so many injuries on our pitching staff, this could have been a national seed type of team again. Anyone saying that Coach Henderson wasn't good earlier hasn't had to deal with a staff that had 7+ injuries. It's quite amazing what he is getting out of this pitching staff. Cann has made all the right moves as well in the batting order. There isn't any SEC team that has a better 1-2-3 in the lineup then us with Mangum, Rooker, and Gridley. Rooker is having a historic baseball season. He could be the first triple crown winner since Palmeiro. That would be awesome. We have really been fun to watch during this seven game win streak. Let's keep it us and take 2/3 from Kentucky next weekend.

Todd4State
04-01-2017, 06:57 PM
And to add to the post above- we need Billingsley to come back strong. That will help the staff out a lot. We also need Stovall back too- that will help the offense and the defense.

MarketingBully
04-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Absolutely. We have a lot of work to do and even if we play well against Kentucky and South Carolina we still will have a lot of work to do.

Winning at Ole Miss was a great step in the right direction. We need to ball out against Kentucky in Starkville and find a way to win our games against FIU this week as well. Very difficult to do with a pitching staff that is pieced together literally at bat to at bat.

This is kind of how we had to do it in 2013. We will just have to have players like McQuery, Barlow, and Gordon step up to give us innings like they have been doing. I think Price, Self, and Barton are all great relievers that give us great chances to win. Price is an All SEC type closer.

maroonmania
04-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Gary Henderson is working miracles with our pitching staff at the moment. Holding UNM to 1 run on the third day? 7 runs for the entire series? 3 runs to Memphis midweek? Great pitching against TN as well. Just amazing with the injuries and inexperience he is dealing with on this staff.

Skydawg1
04-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Gary Henderson is working miracles with our pitching staff at the moment. Holding UNM to 1 run on the third day? 7 runs for the entire series? 3 runs to Memphis midweek? Great pitching against TN as well. Just amazing with the injuries and inexperience he is dealing with on this staff.Hendo doing work. I had doubts about the chemistry between he and Andy, just since they were...not "forced" to work together, but you know. He was not picked by Cann. (But I bet he'd be high on Cann's list.) Cohen probably gave Henderson some extra "don't worry, I've got your back if things are weird" after hiring AC.

smootness
04-01-2017, 07:34 PM
What this has done is put us in very good position to make a regional. There's still a LONG way to go to talk about hosting.

BeardoMSU
04-01-2017, 07:36 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

GTHOM
04-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Our guys at the bottom of the lineup have to give us something if we're going to make a run in the postseason. Rook, Grid, Mangum are great but they cant do it every game. Lovelady played outstanding against TSUN

WSOPdawg
04-01-2017, 07:41 PM

I really hate having 2 mid-week games now that SEC weekends have started.

WSOPdawg
04-01-2017, 07:42 PM
And to add to the post above- we need Billingsley to come back strong. That will help the staff out a lot. We also need Stovall back too- that will help the offense and the defense.

Any idea on the time frame for Billingsley's return?

confucius say
04-01-2017, 07:50 PM
I really hate having 2 mid-week games now that SEC weekends have started.

Agreed. Da hell is that? Then we won't have a midweek game the whole month of May.

confucius say
04-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Any idea on the time frame for Billingsley's return?

What's his injury?

Jack Lambert
04-01-2017, 08:08 PM
It's always amazes me how the attitudes change on this board when we win.

BeardoMSU
04-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Not with certain people, unfortunately....

The Federalist Engineer
04-01-2017, 10:30 PM

After Arkansas, I was convinced we would go 0-30 in the SEC...now, 27-3 (sarcasm)

A few weeks ago:

(1) Cody wasn't hitting
(2) Cyr, our original #2 weekend starter just left the team
(3) We still had no Sunday starter
(4) Our 2nd hole hitter became a strike-out machine
(5) Columbia gave us hell and shelled billingsley
(6) could not hit La-Tech pitching and blew a late inning save
(7) 4 guys were hitting sub-Mendoza
(8) there was talk Cannizzaro was not working well with Henderson

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 10:34 PM
We just swept the best college baseball team in Mississippi history, just ask them.

yjnkdawg
04-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Our guys at the bottom of the lineup have to give us something if we're going to make a run in the postseason. Rook, Grid, Mangum are great but they cant do it every game. Lovelady played outstanding against TSUN

I think somebody said on ED earlier in the season (before the Marrero suspension) that we didn't need Lovelady. He has done a good job behind the plate, and also if they would check out his batting average, it ain't too bad.

yjnkdawg
04-01-2017, 10:51 PM
We just swept the best college baseball team in Mississippi history, just ask them.

They would probably say that the reason was because mistakes were made. ******

Todd4State
04-02-2017, 01:24 AM
What's his injury?

I think he hurt his ankle in practice. According to Cann's press conference, he should be back by the South Carolina series at the latest.

Todd4State
04-02-2017, 01:29 AM
After Arkansas, I was convinced we would go 0-30 in the SEC...now, 27-3 (sarcasm)

A few weeks ago:

(1) Cody wasn't hitting
(2) Cyr, our original #2 weekend starter just left the team
(3) We still had no Sunday starter
(4) Our 2nd hole hitter became a strike-out machine
(5) Columbia gave us hell and shelled billingsley
(6) could not hit La-Tech pitching and blew a late inning save
(7) 4 guys were hitting sub-Mendoza
(8) there was talk Cannizzaro was not working well with Henderson

Well, apparently Ryan Cyr was the problem the entire time.**

I do think that was a turning point though. Cann put his foot down and earned the players respect. And to be honest I think suspending Mangum got their attention more than anything. They've certainly responded well since then. I watched us play in person against USM and then this week against Memphis and to me, it looks like the energy level is night and day between then and now.

It will be interesting to see how we finish out the season but I feel pretty good about where we are right now.

Dawgface
04-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Amazing turn around. Keep it up!

The Federalist Engineer
04-02-2017, 08:20 AM
I think somebody said on ED earlier in the season (before the Marrero suspension) that we didn't need Lovelady. He has done a good job behind the plate, and also if they would check out his batting average, it ain't too bad.

Lovelady is sharper on defense and batting- seems he does better without the platoon shuffle.