PDA

View Full Version : Some of please explain this article and ESPNs love affair with OM..

RougeDawg
09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
They're comparing recruiting at both schools and how elite OM's has been. No rocket scientist but have I misread the recruiting rankings in recent memory? I don't recall OM getting a top 10 class every year for the past decade and a half. ESPN makes me want to puke almost daily now. Honestly, how far are tehey going to push this envelope and fabricate how great OM is? They've been irrelevant in the SEC and national scene since integration, yet Espn paints them in the same light as a TX team that was at the top of college football a few times during that span.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=sec&id=69867&src=desktop

Bear@Work
09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
They're comparing recruiting at both schools and how elite OM's has been. No rocket scientist but have I misread the recruiting rankings in recent memory? I don't recall OM getting a top 10 class every year for the past decade and a half. ESPN makes me want to puke almost daily now. Honestly, how far are tehey going to push this envelope and fabricate how great OM is? They've been irrelevant in the SEC and national scene since integration, yet Espn paints them in the same light as a TX team that was at the top of college football a few times during that span.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=sec&id=69867&src=desktop

Damn, RougeDawg. Sometimes some of this stuff becomes a little unhealthy and could lead to a shorter lifespan. I think it may be time for you to take a vacation or something and not pay attention to football for a while. This stuff is getting to you too much.

RougeDawg
09-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Damn, RougeDawg. Sometimes some of this stuff becomes a little unhealthy and could lead to a shorter lifespan. I think it may be time for you to take a vacation or something and not pay attention to football for a while. This stuff is getting to you too much.

My point is, one top 5 class and now they're comparing them to TX in recruiting??? TX has a top 10, most time top 5 class, and has signed some of the top classes in the last 20 years. Just wondering how far ESPN is going to ride this train and keep writing articles full of fluff, shit, and extreme fabrication.

Only articles about State are how we pay players, our coach sucks, and we beat our women and children. There's an obvious hate of everything MSU in Bristol, CT and an obvious love affair with an irrelevant bottom tier SEC program.

smootness
09-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Yes, clearly ESPN actively hates Mississippi State. Yikes, man, in all seriousness, it may be good for you to step away for a while.

ESPN wants a story, and they want ratings, attention, etc. Anything that aids in those goals is good business for them...right now, they can pump up Ole Miss as the 'next big thing' and write stories about it. And, look, Ole Miss bringing in that recruiting class is a big story whether we want to admit it or not.

I promise you, if Ole Miss slips in recruiting or doesn't live up to expectations on the field, they'll move on and be the first to write Freeze off.

Do you not remember when Mullen and State were hot? They talked about us quite a bit...then we went 6-6 and they backed off. Then we started 7-0 last year, and they were right back on that train...then we flamed out, and they tossed us aside. This is how they work. Don't worry about it.

msstate7
09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't let it bother me too much. We have just as much elite talent as OM on our team now. They do have a qb that fits their system perfect and they seem to be recruiting ol better than us, but we're right there with them overall. If we take care of business and our a knot on their head thanksgiving, we won't have to listen to it anymore

FlabLoser
09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Robert Nkemdichie

TheRef
09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Robert Nkemdichie

Did you know that he was the #1 prospect tho past recruiting season???? /heavy sarcasm

Jack Lambert
09-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Did you know that he was the #1 prospect tho past recruiting season???? /heavy sarcasm

Can you tell who was the year before and the year before that with out looking it up? More Sarcasm.

smootness
09-12-2013, 01:55 PM
DGB, Clowney. And it's Fournette this year.

PMDawg
09-12-2013, 02:00 PM
yeah but is Nkemdiche a 5 tool player?

smootness
09-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Nope, just one big tool.

ETA: Uh.......

RougeDawg
09-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Yes, clearly ESPN actively hates Mississippi State. Yikes, man, in all seriousness, it may be good for you to step away for a while.

ESPN wants a story, and they want ratings, attention, etc. Anything that aids in those goals is good business for them...right now, they can pump up Ole Miss as the 'next big thing' and write stories about it. And, look, Ole Miss bringing in that recruiting class is a big story whether we want to admit it or not.

I promise you, if Ole Miss slips in recruiting or doesn't live up to expectations on the field, they'll move on and be the first to write Freeze off.

Do you not remember when Mullen and State were hot? They talked about us quite a bit...then we went 6-6 and they backed off. Then we started 7-0 last year, and they were right back on that train...then we flamed out, and they tossed us aside. This is how they work. Don't worry about it.

Once again missing the point. I could care less if they speak about their class. It was loaded, but raised a lot of red flags.

Here's the point. In the last 15-20 years Texas has landed just about all top 10 classes, numerous top 5 classes, and I believe a couple top classes. The article is comparing their recruiting and how similar they are. Since when does one anomaly class compare to sustaine top classes? I have no problem with them writing articles and slobbering all over OM but when they start taking things far beyond a stretch, I find it interesting. They could at least keep things somewhat in perspective.

Heres an analogy for you: This article would be simar to someone previewing a game between the 49ers and Saints and talking about their hosting of dominance and how similar they are with Super Bowl championships. Yet the 49ers have 5 and saints 1 and the saints sucked most of their history.

It_Could_Happen
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Is it just me or has majority of the posts this week been in some way related to UM?

MarketingBully01
09-12-2013, 04:26 PM
That and how bad our OL sucks and the MSU fans saying we are going to get beat by Auburn but they hope they are wrong. And then other MSU fans wondering why no one gives us a chance to beat Auburn even though those same MSU fans expect us to lose to Auburn...oh and the other topic was how crappy we looked versus OSU and the Alcorn State game meant nothing...Did I miss anything ;). But to be fair, those same topics are ample on all MSU boards. Not just this one.

It_Could_Happen
09-12-2013, 04:27 PM
That and how bad our OL sucks and the MSU fans saying we are going to get beat by Auburn but they hope they are wrong. And then other MSU fans wondering why no one gives us a chance to beat Auburn even though those same MSU fans expect us to lose to Auburn...oh and the other topic was how crappy we looked versus OSU and the Alcorn State game meant nothing...Did I miss anything ;). But to be fair, those same topics are ample on all MSU boards. Not just this one.

I think you hit it all. You did leave off the alcorn band

MarketingBully01
09-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Hehe, oops I knew I forgot something!

msstate7
09-12-2013, 04:30 PM

Our fanbase really needs this win. The "we believe" hangover has lasted long enough. I think we win sat night on the strength of our defense that's gonna man handle auburn.

MarketingBully01
09-12-2013, 04:33 PM
As I said after the OSU game, I still believe we will be 3-1 going into the LSU week. I will just be glad when the Auburn game gets here so we can at least start bitching about something else. The OSU stuff has done been beat to China so to speak......

slickdawg
09-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Our fanbase really needs this win. The "we believe" hangover has lasted long enough. I think we win sat night on the strength of our defense that's gonna man handle auburn.

Yep.

smootness
09-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Once again missing the point. I could care less if they speak about their class. It was loaded, but raised a lot of red flags.

Here's the point. In the last 15-20 years Texas has landed just about all top 10 classes, numerous top 5 classes, and I believe a couple top classes. The article is comparing their recruiting and how similar they are. Since when does one anomaly class compare to sustaine top classes? I have no problem with them writing articles and slobbering all over OM but when they start taking things far beyond a stretch, I find it interesting. They could at least keep things somewhat in perspective.

Heres an analogy for you: This article would be simar to someone previewing a game between the 49ers and Saints and talking about their hosting of dominance and how similar they are with Super Bowl championships. Yet the 49ers have 5 and saints 1 and the saints sucked most of their history.

No, I got the point. I'm telling you, this is just par for the course...has nothing to do with Ole Miss specifically.

And yes, they would absolutely write an article about the 'new-school' Saints on the rise and the 'old-school' 49ers possible on the decline...before Harbaugh showed up. These kinds of articles are written constantly in every sport.

MarketingBully01
09-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah, me too. I think a big difference maker this year on defense is the push and keeping the hands up. I fully expect 4-5 deflections on the defensive line this game. I don't know why more DL coaches don't teach this technique. That has a chance to really disrupt a quick throwing offense and makes the QB lose some amount of confidence in the passing game. I think we win (as I have said a few times) 24-17. I think we can shut their offense down.

KennyPowers2
09-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Rouge, I feel your pain brother. If we lose this weekend, ole miss wins, and Vandy upsets USC I may quit until baseball kicks off.

biggun
09-12-2013, 10:08 PM
My point is, one top 5 class and now they're comparing them to TX in recruiting??? TX has a top 10, most time top 5 class, and has signed some of the top classes in the last 20 years. Just wondering how far ESPN is going to ride this train and keep writing articles full of fluff, shit, and extreme fabrication.

Only articles about State are how we pay players, our coach sucks, and we beat our women and children. There's an obvious hate of everything MSU in Bristol, CT and an obvious love affair with an irrelevant bottom tier SEC program.

I get your point and totally agree. The Ole Miss vs Texas game actually got a spot on ESPN's front page of their college football section and their coverage includes several articles on the game, 2 of which are glorifying Freeze and Ole Miss's recruiting and program, emphasizing what a bright future the program has. I have never seen the national media fall in love faster with a 7-6 team than they have with Freeze and Ole Miss. I am sure all of our maroon shaded fans are saying who cares about the articles and such but the truth is all of this enormous publicity will further help them add more studs to an already very good recruiting class which goes without saying is not good at all for our program moving forward.

We must win Saturday to show in Mullen's year 5 we can beat a rebuilding Auburn team that is in the midst of an 11 game SEC losing streak and starting a Juco transfer QB who did not even go through spring practice and who has struggled mightily throwing the football in both of their games this year. Also, their defense has given up over 800 yards in their first 2 games against WSU and ASU.

Can Mullen's Tyler Russell led offense finally show some creativity and zip and actually score more than 14 points and bring home a victory from the Plains??? If not, look out below for our season and our program. MUST WIN!!!

FlabLoser
09-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Media likes a Cinderella or an up and comer. Mullen was a media darling a few years.

The next phase for Ole Miss will be when Freeze wins 9 or 10 and is then deemed a miracle worker who must be immediately hired away. Just like Mullen.

TheRef
09-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Media likes a Cinderella or an up and comer. Mullen was a media darling a few years.

The next phase for Ole Miss will be when Freeze wins 9 or 10 and is then deemed a miracle worker who must be immediately hired away. Just like Mullen.

BREAKING NEWS: Hugh Freeze rumored to be talking to UT big shots while in Austin. Is this the step-up for Freeze in his coaching career? Find out next, on SportsCenter! [Duh-duh-dun! Duh-duh-dun!]

slickdawg
09-13-2013, 08:42 AM
ESPN has had their bukakke on Freeze, and they will move on. The resurgence of Texas Tech will be the next love child.