PDA

View Full Version : The flagrant call/review

mstatefan91
04-01-2017, 01:17 AM
Ok put aside that we won. Put aside your feelings on the call itself (whether it was a flagrant or not).

Is it not just 17'ing ridiculous that they decide to review this after our possession, nearly 30 seconds after it occurred, and a UCONN timout? How is that allowed? Call it when it occurs or move on. Does that mean they can go back to a call 5 minutes earlier? A quarter earlier?

My thoughts are that when the moment has passed and certainly when possession has changed and you (the officials) haven't called it, then leave it the 17 alone.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 01:20 AM
If THAT was a flagrant one then the one that didn't get called on them in the first quarter was a two. That was a deliberate forearm to the head with the ball nowhere around. It would have been an ejection in FOOTBALL.

I_Spy
04-01-2017, 01:23 AM
My belief is because the refs try to screw us, Morgan Williams shots go in. Karma

If it was Epps or someone stepping up and hitting shots, we may lose a tight game. But...because the refs try to needle us...our shots go in

mstatefan91
04-01-2017, 01:24 AM
If THAT was a flagrant one then the one that didn't get called on them in the first quarter was a two. That was a deliberate forearm to the head with the ball nowhere around. It would have been an ejection in FOOTBALL.

Think it was a shoulder to the chest of Morgan?

But yeah, based on Dom's flagrant 1, that was a flagrant 2..

But how in the world are officials allowed to review a potential flagrant from 30 seconds earlier with a change of possession and no original foul called?

Schultzy
It was your average, everyday quentissential throat flop.

TimberBeast
I watched Mo hit the floor on her back slung down about 5 different times throughout the game with no review. That call was blatant referee interference in the game. It's why basketball is hard to watch and football is on the same path.

mstatefan91
04-01-2017, 01:28 AM
I get all of you questioning the call itself. My real question is how in the world are officials allowed to review fouls in the past? No other sports do this that I'm aware of and this is the first that I've ever seen it in college basketball and certainly women's basketball. Someone needs to be called out

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 01:30 AM
I get all of you questioning the call itself. My real question is how in the world are officials allowed to review fouls in the past? No other sports do this that I'm aware of and this is the first that I've ever seen it in college basketball and certainly women's basketball. Someone needs to be called out

It's the rule. It has happened before.

mstatefan91
04-01-2017, 01:32 AM
It's the rule. It has happened before.

Really? So what is the cutoff for reviewing a potential flagrant? 30 seconds, a minute? The next timeout? Seems silly and ridiculous.

I've seen common fouls reviewed. Haven't seen a no call reviewed 30 seconds later

Reason2succeed
04-01-2017, 01:34 AM
God don't like ugly but I sure hope there are different refs on Sunday.

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 01:37 AM
God don't like ugly but I sure hope there are different refs on Sunday.

I'll agree with that

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Really? So what is the cutoff for reviewing a potential flagrant? 30 seconds, a minute? The next timeout? Seems silly and ridiculous.

I've seen common fouls reviewed. Haven't seen a no call reviewed 30 seconds later
I think it's the next stoppage in play.

mstatefan91
04-01-2017, 01:44 AM
I think it's the next stoppage in play.

So basically, outside forces are allowed to influence the game. I mean, all three officials miss(ed) it. Don't agree with it. Call something in the moment or move on. Especially a game at this stage in this situation.

Bully13
04-01-2017, 01:48 AM
It was your average, everyday quentissential throat flop.

This. I think it was a flop. Acting job. All she was doing was turning Around.

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 01:52 AM
It was a great opportunity to show my wife and kids what a flop looks like and how it can actually work. The girl did great executing it but the refs that did the review shouldn't be allowed to officiate at the collegiate level ever again. That was a disgrace on their part.

Maroonbulldog
04-01-2017, 02:25 AM
It was a great opportunity to show my wife and kids what a flop looks like and how it can actually work. The girl did great executing it but the refs that did the review shouldn't be allowed to officiate at the collegiate level ever again. That was a disgrace on their part.

I thought Game Over when they reviewed- was thinking what a crappy way to lose after what we had just witnessed- Itty Bitty became a national rawk star tonight

rcsteph1
04-01-2017, 02:29 AM
1. I'm not gonna lie and act like i know the rule. But if the rule says they can wait and review it later.... then the rule HAS to be changed. If its not called a foul on the court it shouldn't be reviewable.

2. UCONN had several calls/no calls that should have been reviewed in our favor. But they weren't. We overcame it.

3. The refs were mediocre at best and I through my maroon glasses they did what they could to keep UCONN in the game

PassInterference
04-01-2017, 03:04 AM

This all day. Its one thing for a red to buy a flip as it happens.

It is complete bullshit to watch a replay. Watch a player react to a throats punch without being contacted in the thrust.

Dom was following the trajectory of the ball before it was blocked. She made contact. Call a foul. Fine. Flagrant? There were 15 flagrant plays in that game and that was not one of them.

To have minutes of review time and make that bullshit call with 20 seconds left in a NCAA semifinal should disqualify those refs from future work.

BrunswickDawg
04-01-2017, 06:44 AM

My wife watches 3-4 total games a year - all during m/w final four. She said - "don't they have a name for that in soccer??"

Dawgface
04-01-2017, 07:19 AM
This all day. Its one thing for a red to buy a flip as it happens.

It is complete bullshit to watch a replay. Watch a player react to a throats punch without being contacted in the thrust.

Dom was following the trajectory of the ball before it was blocked. She made contact. Call a foul. Fine. Flagrant? There were 15 flagrant plays in that game and that was not one of them.

To have minutes of review time and make that bullshit call with 20 seconds left in a NCAA semifinal should disqualify those refs from future work.

Yes.....she was just following the ball and her elbow happens to hit her throat. One can argue that's it's a foul but if they miss it..they miss it. You can't go back and call a flagrant foul like that at the end of the game well after the play. By rule maybe they can, but it's just absurd to do so which could have easily determine the outcome of the game. Luckily it didn't.

msstate7
04-01-2017, 07:39 AM
So if the game had played out completely with no stoppage (very unlikely, but possible), at the end of OT, Uconn would've got 2 FTs? This is dumb for many reasons... let's say the foul is legit and we score another basket to make the lead 4 and once the review is made with no time left, uconn would've been screwed.

confucius say
04-01-2017, 07:58 AM
I'm still not convinced an Elbow hit her throat. Bottom of chin maybe. But the grabbing of the thrust as though she just got donkey punched was ridiculous. Should be a technical foul due to purposeful deception.

Reason2succeed
04-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Those refs better be glad it's the weekend because Stephen A Smith, Colin Cowherd, AND Balis would have clowned them for at least half an hour on their shows.

WinningIsRelentless
04-01-2017, 08:50 AM
I'm still not convinced an Elbow hit her throat. Bottom of chin maybe. But the grabbing of the thrust as though she just got donkey punched was ridiculous. Should be a technical foul due to purposeful deception.

She would have been laid out a lot longer if she actually got hit in the throat. That deserves a award.

On another note did y'all see the lead ref after THE BASKET grab Vic and push him back to the bench like they were about to review the shot. Sorry pos ref

Tbonewannabe
04-01-2017, 09:23 AM
My wife made the comment that if that was a foul it would have changed how we burned up the clock on the last possession. It would be like in football you are taking 3 knees to run out the clock but right before you take the last one, the refs overturn a fumble and let the other team try a game winning fg. Naturally you wouldn't burn the entire clock if they had a chance to win.

BulldogBear
04-01-2017, 09:24 AM
She would have been laid out a lot longer if she actually got hit in the throat. That deserves a award.

On another note did y'all see the lead ref after THE BASKET grab Vic and push him back to the bench like they were about to review the shot. Sorry pos ref

I noticed that. The bench is cleared. There's 20-25 people already out on the court and she's pushing Vic backed like it matters.

I agree with others in this post. Rule is legit but should be changed....or SOMETHING. Having it go down the way it did and how that would decide the game 3 out of 4 times just somehow doesn't feel right.

A better rule would somehow allow Geno to call a timeout immediately for a review if he believes it will show a flagrant. Not be charged if he was right. But be charged if he was wrong AND if the other team had the ball at the time he stopped play to demand a review they get the two shots if the refs don't agree.

sleepy dawg
04-01-2017, 09:37 AM
I've talked to 2 different d1 referees now. Between the 2, they've been to the tournament around 50 times with a few very deep runs into the tournament too.

Both agree it was not a flagrant 1 foul. It was not excessive, and it was not intentional.

However, they were within the rules to review it when they did... I don't know all the rules around it, but its something like they can review up until the end of the next stoppage of clock, unless the clock stopped when the foul occurred, then they have 2 stoppage of clocks to get the review in. However, they should've stopped it right away if there was even a question.

Percho
04-01-2017, 09:51 AM

My question is; Who decided to go back and review the play? You continue to play the game and then go back and look at something that wasn't called in the first place. Who determines you do this? Crowd noise?

Political Hack
04-01-2017, 09:56 AM
1) it wasn't a flagrant foul. Terrible call.

2) it was called incredibly late. You can't start calling fouls at later points in the game or it's going to open Pandora's box to a world of problems.

3) Vic did a good job of keeping his head and moving forward. I'm not sure I could have. They would've had to carry me out of the arena on that one.

Percho
04-01-2017, 09:58 AM
The play reminds me of the Bama football game where they reviewed a fumble yet said he scored of which. that was not evident. Someone other than the officials on the field made that call.

msstate7
04-01-2017, 10:00 AM
The play reminds me of the Bama football game where they reviewed a fumble yet said he scored of which. that was not evident. Someone other than the officials on the field made that call.

The NCAA should be thrilled we won. There wouldn't be half the buzz around the women's final 4 today had uconn won

Percho
04-01-2017, 10:00 AM

2) it was called incredibly late. You can't start calling fouls at later points in the game or it's going to open Pandora's box to a world of problems.

3) Vic did a good job of keeping his head and moving forward. I'm not sure I could have. They would've had to carry me out of the arena on that one.

They would have to carried me out on the foul call when it was a clear, I say again, a clear block. The guy ref sucked.

tcdog70
04-01-2017, 10:02 AM
What if Blair drains the 3. Would they allow it? I believe the rule says you can review at the next stoppage. There was no thrown elbow, she got hit in the chin not the throat. Incidental contact. Shit happens playing basketball. Like Geno said why didn't they call it when it happened a Ref was standing 2 feet from the play, must not have been very flagrant. That would have been a very shitty way to lose that game.Karma!, must be something to it.

RocketDawg
04-01-2017, 10:59 AM

Yes, I did see that. The game was over so it wasn't because he was on the court. I have no idea what she was trying to accomplish.

BoomBoom
04-01-2017, 11:40 AM

i think the rule is fine, except for the end of the game, maybe the end of the half. it should be amended that in the final 2 minutes, you can't review past plays. you could say that the clock should go back to the point of the foul, but i think that's a bit problematic.

Gutter Cobreh
04-01-2017, 11:50 AM
I don't buy into the conspiracy theories often, but at the moment they started to review - I thought the fix was in. Geno's facial expression even said as much when the ruling occurred.

I thought it was because there was less than 2 minutes left, but they had allowed our previous possession without stoppage. Never seen anything like it.

I would like to see someone answer the question posted earlier in this thread - what happens if Blair's 3 point shot is made? Is it still called the same, with UCONN down 5 at that point or do they take the points off the board?

NCDawg
04-01-2017, 11:57 AM
What if Blair drains the 3. Would they allow it? I believe the rule says you can review at the next stoppage. There was no thrown elbow, she got hit in the chin not the throat. Incidental contact. Shit happens playing basketball. Like Geno said why didn't they call it when it happened a Ref was standing 2 feet from the play, must not have been very flagrant. That would have been a very shitty way to lose that game.Karma!, must be something to it.

I was wondering also about whether or not they would have allowed Blair's 3 if she had made it. My guess is since the shot occurred after the incident, they would have disallowed it. That would have really PO'ed a lot of us.

yjnkdawg
04-01-2017, 12:00 PM
That flop job, by Lou Samuelson, should go down as one of the better ones in Women's College Basketball history. She acted like she was going to need medical assistance, by going to the floor and grabbing her throat. However, like a miracle she gets to the foul line. Sinks two free throws, with no grimacing from pain or anything. THen apparently her health is fine the rest of the game.

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 12:13 PM
That flop job, by Lou Samuelson, should go down as one of the better ones in Women's College Basketball history. She acted like she was going to need medical assistance, by going to the floor and grabbing her throat. However, like a miracle she gets to the foul line. Sinks two free throws, with no grimacing from pain or anything. THen apparently her health is fine the rest of the game.

Not only that, she got up immediately, that fact should have been as part of the decision to even do the review. She was the one dribbling the ball down the court when they decided to review. It was a great flop, and that should be the last college game those refs ever get to work.

msbulldog
04-01-2017, 12:18 PM

Absolutely a fake job, that play was just in normal game play. If they called plays like that all of the time, the game would never end.

yjnkdawg
04-01-2017, 12:44 PM
The NCAA should be thrilled we won. There wouldn't be half the buzz around the women's final 4 today had uconn won

Greg Sankey should be elated too. With what happened last night and two SEC teams in the championship.

Intramural All-American
04-01-2017, 12:52 PM
The worst thing about it all, and they probably didn't show it on tv, but I saw it in the arena. After reviewing, the refs huddled, then one of the refs looked at the scorers table and waved her arms as if to say no foul. Then, the refs talked s little more, went back to the monitor and decided it was a flagrant. What in the world changed between the time she said no foul to them deciding to look at it again?

Bully13
04-01-2017, 01:03 PM
The bitch in the broadcast booth pissed me off being so certain it was flagrant. It seems like someone signaled to the refs since it took so 17ing long for them to stop play. What would have happened if our shot had gone down? Waived the bucket? I don't even think it was a foul. And what was up with that ref grabbing our coaches arm in the post game melee?

msujan
04-01-2017, 01:14 PM

I'm with you - I thought Dom's hand hit the UConn player's chin during incidental contact, then a second later Samuelson grabbed her neck and flopped. I didn't see any contact to the neck by Dom.

lastmajordog
04-01-2017, 03:05 PM
I?m sorry...it looked like she was just raising her arms.....If you have EVER played bball.....midget, HS, intramural, college....YOU KNOW THAT WASNT AN ELBOW.....as old as I am Ill walk out to a goal and SHOW you what an flagrant elbow is......this game reminded me WHY I hate bball ref calls. Over the back not called, off player jumping into def player and getting a def foul.....just makes me sick....I do hope they have some decent refs sunday....these girls DESERVE a fair game.....and yes the ***** in the booth that couldn’t stop spewing her bias......good grief....she and shep need to have a lil love fest....oh yeah....I forgot

Mjoelner34
04-01-2017, 03:40 PM
What pissed me off more than anything was the smirk that big nosed pasty skank had on her face while shooting game the free throws. A bad acting job gave the refs the opportunity to throw a bone to UCONN and we still beat data azz!

Dawg Tired
04-01-2017, 04:14 PM
After talking to a men's D1 official Sleepy Dawg is right. The rules allow for that review. However, had we made that 3-pointer it would have counted. Still doesn't explain how in the hell they came to the decision of a flagrant. I think we know that was a failed attempt to keep the streak alive.