PDA

View Full Version : Greatest MSU Athletic Triumph Ever?

AlmostPositive
03-31-2017, 11:53 PM
Given the stage, given the opponent, given last year's result, you could make a strong case for it... Final Four in '96 is the only thing to come close in the last five decades.

Very happy for our basketball women...whatever happens in the Final, they have made memories for a lifetime.

Tbonewannabe
03-31-2017, 11:55 PM
We did play for the National title in baseball but ending the streak definitely puts this as #1 to me.

TimberBeast
03-31-2017, 11:56 PM
Going to Atlanta is in there too, that's the top for me, so far.

State82
03-31-2017, 11:58 PM
Yes. Without a doubt.

Gutter Cobreh
The men's team has nothing on this game. This is hands down the best single victory in any MSU sport!

Win the natty and it'll be the best team ever (even in a loss, it will be near the top).

WSOPdawg
We did play for the National title in baseball but ending the streak definitely puts this as #1 to me.

Agree, had we not "end the streak," it would be tied with baseball's World Series run in 2013, but ending the longest winning streak to one of the greatest dynasties of all-time definitely places this at the top of the mountain.

Going for #35 on Sunday and the 3rd time will definitely be a charm.

msstate7
04-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Agree, had we not "end the streak," it would be tied with baseball's World Series run in 2013, but ending the longest winning streak to one of the greatest dynasties of all-time definitely places this at the top of the mountain.

Going for #35 on Sunday and the 3rd time will definitely be a charm.

I hope so. We've beat 2 teams in a row that are better than South Carolina. Just gotta do it

fader2103
04-01-2017, 12:00 AM
I think beating UCONN and ending the streak in a final four game is top. If it was in just a regular season game but. This place and time made it over the top.

HSVDawg
04-01-2017, 12:01 AM
Given the stage, given the opponent, given last year's result, you could make a strong case for it... Final Four in '96 is the only thing to come close in the last five decades.

Very happy for our basketball women...whatever happens in the Final, they have made memories for a lifetime.

It absolutely is. People's emotional investment in the men's sports may lead some to argue, but there is no question that from an athlete's pesrpective we have never had a bigger accomplishment.

Tbonewannabe
04-01-2017, 12:02 AM
I think beating UCONN and ending the streak in a final four game is top. If it was in just a regular season game but. This place and time made it over the top.

Yes ,this replaces 6-3 Bama.

Commercecomet24
04-01-2017, 12:06 AM
This is without a doubt the greatest! No doubt number 1 with who we were playing and the stakes! Baseball playing for natty number 2.

Cloak
04-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Easily. It's one of the greatest upsets in any sport of all time.

QuadrupleOption
04-01-2017, 12:08 AM

My top sports wins in no particular order:
1) 6-3 vs Bama in 1980
2) Men's Basketball Final Four
3) Master's Grand Slam to get us to the World Series.
4) Making the Championship series in baseball in 2013.
5) Beating Arkansas in 1998 to win the West and make the SEC Championship game.
6) This win tonight.

Political Hack
04-01-2017, 12:16 AM
Tonight is the biggest win in Miss State history. It's not close.

Commercecomet24
04-01-2017, 12:18 AM
This is equivalent to the miracle on ice.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 12:20 AM
No particular order and all equal in my eyes:

tonight
98 Arkansas football
2014 Auburn Football
6-3
1935 (I think) Army football
1991 LSU basketball
1996 Cincy basketball

BeardoMSU
04-01-2017, 12:21 AM

https://strongstylefiction.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/45ww0wy.gif

DudyDawg
04-01-2017, 12:31 AM
If you're curious about how big it is, espn hasn't talked about anything else for 15 minutes. Literally, nothing else but is. That doesn't happen just getting to a men's final four or baseball title. This is, for lack of a better term, BIG

WSOPdawg
04-01-2017, 12:33 AM
If you're curious about how big it is, espn hasn't talked about anything else for 15 minutes. Literally, nothing else but is. That doesn't happen just getting to a men's final four or baseball title. This is, for lack of a better term, BIG

Uh no, it's been going non-stop for close to an hour now. Nothing else in the sports world matters except our Bulldogs!

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 12:41 AM
Uh no, it's been going non-stop for close to an hour now. Nothing else in the sports world matters except our Bulldogs!

Have they said anything about that bullshit flagrant foul call that almost cost us the game with 25 seconds left in OT? Every ref involved in that should be under review tomorrow.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 12:46 AM
Have they said anything about that bullshit flagrant foul call that almost cost us the game with 25 seconds left in OT? Every ref involved in that should be under review tomorrow.

They said it was the right call. BS

Reason2succeed
04-01-2017, 12:47 AM
This is the biggest and it's not even close. If they were men no one would even question it. Check your privilege.

msstate7
04-01-2017, 12:49 AM

It's absolutely huge, but maybe not big as miracle on ice. I don't think the tension between us and uconn comes close to the us and the old ussr

LC Dawg
04-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I'm still watching for as long as they keep talking about us. I haven't even seen a score of the other semifinal. Our girls are the talk of the sports world. Well deserved attention.

Hail State
04-01-2017, 01:01 AM

2014 football is No. 1 followed by Winning the West in 98 and then the '13 World Series National Championship.

State82
04-01-2017, 01:03 AM
2014 football is No. 1 followed by Winning the West in 98 and then the '13 World Series National Championship.

You're full of shit

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 01:10 AM

This is mostly correct. Tonight was incredible but let's put things in order. If we win Sunday I don't think there's any question.

State82
04-01-2017, 01:15 AM
We received more positive exposure tonight for about four hours during and for an hour or so after the game than we have in our entire athletic history.

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 01:21 AM
We received more positive exposure tonight for about four hours during and for an hour or so after the game than we have in our entire athletic history.

Well that has a lot to do with the insane media coverage everything gets now.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 01:24 AM

Were you alive in 2014? That went on for two months.

State82
04-01-2017, 01:32 AM
Were you alive in 2014? That went on for two months.

Yeah Einstein, I was alive. 17 me running there is some dense 17'ers around here tonight

State82
04-01-2017, 01:33 AM
Well that has a lot to do with the insane media coverage everything gets now.

Ya think? My point exactly.

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 01:35 AM
Ya think? My point exactly.

That doesn't make it our biggest win shitstick.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 01:40 AM
Yeah Einstein, I was alive. 17 me running there is some dense 17'ers around here tonight

Again..that went on for several weeks.

State82
04-01-2017, 01:47 AM
Again..that went on for several weeks.

Yes it did. The OP asked was this the greatest MSU athletic triumph ever. Triumph. One victory. Singular. Not plural (more than one).

Commercecomet24
04-01-2017, 01:48 AM
It's absolutely huge, but maybe not big as miracle on ice. I don't think the tension between us and uconn comes close to the us and the old ussr

I meant more in terms of how big an upset.

State82
04-01-2017, 02:15 AM
Liverpool, Timberbeast, Hail State: I apologize for coming off as an ass. I was just trying to make the point about this one single event being our biggest with regard to the attention it garnered nationally. I respect y'all's opinions and enjoy your posts. Let's finish the job Sunday and bring home the hardware!

Thrill1
04-01-2017, 02:21 AM
My top sports wins in no particular order:

3) Master's Grand Slam to get us to the World Series.

This win, however great, did not put us in the CWS. We still had to beat FSU the next day 4-3. Jon Shave won it with a 2-run single (that scored Cohen and Raffo) and Bobby Reed caught a line drive to his face to double up Eduardo Perez.

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 02:22 AM
Liverpool, Timberbeast, Hail State: I apologize for coming off as an ass. I was just trying to make the point about this one single event being our biggest with regard to the attention it garnered nationally. I respect y'all's opinions and enjoy your posts. Let's finish the job Sunday and bring home the hardware!

I agree we can bring this one home

FISHDAWG
04-01-2017, 08:23 AM
They said it was the right call. BS

agreed ... she was going for the ball because the shot was blocked

AROB44
04-01-2017, 08:39 AM

Nope.....close but.....

Cooterpoot
04-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Considering most media are saying the greatest game/upset in college basketball history.....yeah, it's bigger than 6-3. That game had little meaning in the season.

Reason2succeed
04-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Once again if this were a men's team NO ONE would be questioning it. I know no one wants to say they are sexist but it literally means that you PREFER men over women (sounds kind of **** when stated like that(not that there's anything wrong with that)). That's exactly what you are doing if you think 6-3 verse Bama (which wasn't for the comparable stakes), the baseball team (that wasn't facing this type of dynasty) or the men's final four team (which also wasn't up against these odds) was a better win.

Simply listen to the four letter network for once. It's not just the greatest in MSU history but it's the greatest in NCAA basketball history.

War Machine Dawg
04-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Yes. It's not even in question. That win is one of the 5 greatest upsets in sports history. If you think we've had a bigger win in MSU sports history, I don't know what to tell you.

sleepy dawg
04-01-2017, 09:39 AM
If you're talking single game, then yes. However, I think being ranked #1 in football in the college playoff poll is the greatest, just due to the nature of the games. I think there's a better shot of beating uconn again before we see our football team ranked #1 in the nation again.

tcdog70
04-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Shit, come on the biggest upset since David took that smooth river Rock and slew Goliath.

Maroons
04-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Over embellish much?

State82
04-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Over embellish much?

Not even a little bit. I challenge anyone here to name a single event MSU has been involved with athletically that brought more exposure than what happened last night. I'll hang up and listen.

RougeDawg
04-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Once again if this were a men's team NO ONE would be questioning it. I know no one wants to say they are sexist but it literally means that you PREFER men over women (sounds kind of **** when stated like that(not that there's anything wrong with that)). That's exactly what you are doing if you think 6-3 verse Bama (which wasn't for the comparable stakes), the baseball team (that wasn't facing this type of dynasty) or the men's final four team (which also wasn't up against these odds) was a better win.

Simply listen to the four letter network for once. It's not just the greatest in MSU history but it's the greatest in NCAA basketball history.

Stop with the labeling of people. It only works with labeling OM asshats.

This is one of, if not, best wins in MSU history without looking at sport or gender. But will it Be remembered the way we all want it to if we can't win tomorrow night? I sure hope they partied it out of their systems last night excuse we have one more to take care of.

HSVDawg
04-01-2017, 12:02 PM
If you're talking single game, then yes. However, I think being ranked #1 in football in the college playoff poll is the greatest, just due to the nature of the games. I think there's a better shot of beating uconn again before we see our football team ranked #1 in the nation again.

You mean that time we beat a bunch of eventual 7-5 / 8-4 teams that were somehow ranked in the Top 10 at the time? Yeah, thats not even close to what happened last night.

AROB44
04-01-2017, 12:18 PM
1980 Bama game was a pretty big upset. They were No. 1 and had the longest win streak in the country. We got very good coverage....not as much as today, but times have changed. ESPN was not in existence.

Dawgface
04-01-2017, 12:21 PM
It's hard to say for me. This is fresh on everyone's mind right now so it certainly seems the greatest. But we have had several good wins that have already been mentioned. I'll take the easy way out and say it is certainly top 3 as is the 6-3 AL win. Don't ask for the 3rd as I can't make up my mind.

dawgday166
04-01-2017, 12:31 PM
It's the biggest IMO. If '80 football team had finished 1 or 2 in football, then maybe not. This team will finish no worse than 2. Hope they can come down from win and still have enough energy to play USCe.

What a great game and great group of players.

WSOPdawg
04-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Over embellish much?

He's not over embellishing at all. We were and are the talk of the sports world (until today's Men's Final Four tips off) all because we ended a 111-game winning streak and took down one of the sports world's dynasties. I

t's the single greatest accomplishment in MSU sports history imo and that's taking nothing away from the magical 2014 football season that ended with us losing 3 of our final 4 games or the 2013 run to Omaha.

msbulldog
04-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Praise The Lord and go dawgs!

Mjoelner34
04-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Easily! The 6-3 Bama was a huge win but this was on a national stage against a team dominating it's sport like Bama has only dreamed about doing in football.

War Machine Dawg
04-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Several highly respected sports people are calling it one of the 5 greatest upsets in sports history. If you can't understand why that makes this unquestionably the biggest W in MSU sports history, you need to reevaluate your metrics. The only thing to top it would be winning tomorrow night.

dawgday166
04-01-2017, 02:08 PM
The UConn dynasty makes anything Bama has ever done pale in comparison. Not that Bama hasn't been great but ... it's just that simple.

iPat09
04-01-2017, 02:15 PM
The only way last night's win could be any bigger was if it was for the championship instead of in the final four.

KB549
04-01-2017, 08:39 PM
I don't particularly care for women's basketball. Never have. Probably never will. I watched last night because I knew the importance and I had a feeling history would be made. So glad I didn't miss it.

HOWEVER, I had the same tear in my eye last night as I did when we beat Auburn to propel us to #1. Even if we win Sunday, beating SC for the natty may be a tie to last night. The simple fact is this win will be brought up over and over and over by the media. Getting beat by 60 one year, then dominating them this game to break the streak. We should have won this game by 30. We were the better team, no doubt. No one mentions mentions the Auburn game very much anymore in the media. They will replay the buzzer beater every time UConn goes into overtime or has a close call from now on, just as they did with their last loss (Stanford regular season game.)

I'm going to blame that tear on Dak. He was the common denominator. Obviously, I'm allergic to him in some way.****

Good job ladies!

TUSK
04-01-2017, 10:10 PM
It was "6-3" before the UCONN win... it'll be "6-3" a few months after, as well...

Regardless, congrats on kickin' ass... I actually listened to the game as I traveled...

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 10:26 PM
The UConn dynasty makes anything Bama has ever done pale in comparison. Not that Bama hasn't been great but ... it's just that simple.

THAT is total BS. There are only 4-5 schools that actually take women's basketball seriously every given year. EVERYONE takes FBS football seriously.

dawgday166
04-01-2017, 10:37 PM
THAT is total BS. There are only 4-5 schools that actually take women's basketball seriously every given year. EVERYONE takes FBS football seriously.

I won't argue how many take CFB more seriously than WBB. I kinda believe it's more than 4 or 5 .. but it ain't a ton for sure. But UConn women's basketball is one of the top 2 or 3 dynasties ever. This is their 2nd 90+ win streak.

Sorta like Oklahoma win streak under Bud Wilkinson ... except he only did it once. Bama has had some very good win streaks and their stretches under 3 or maybe 4 different coaches are quite impressive. But every year there are 1 or 2 teams in country that can beat them.

But under 1 coach there is no comparison. Name other dynasties that have gone 2+ and then 3+ years without losing a single game in any sport.

And Geno came along when WBB was being dominated by Pat Summit too.

TTrams
04-01-2017, 10:42 PM
On November 1, 1980 #1 ranked Alabama and Bear Bryant came in to Jackson with a 28 game win streak and were back to back national champions in college football. State won 6-3.

It was just as big a story as last night's win. I went to both games. So that makes me an expert.

Tap the brakes and PTLGD.

TimberBeast
04-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Stop with the labeling of people. It only works with labeling OM asshats.

This is one of, if not, best wins in MSU history without looking at sport or gender. But will it Be remembered the way we all want it to if we can't win tomorrow night? I sure hope they partied it out of their systems last night excuse we have one more to take care of.

That's what this guy lives on so good luck getting him to stop. Labels are all that matter to some people.

dawgday166
04-01-2017, 10:50 PM
On November 1, 1980 #1 ranked Alabama and Bear Bryant came in to Jackson with a 28 game win streak and were back to back national champions in college football. State won 6-3.

It was just as big a story as last night's win. I went to both games. So that makes me an expert.

Tap the brakes and PTLGD.

Big win .. but how did we finish. And I was Bama fan in HS then. Big Bear Bryant fan and have his autobiography on my shelf. Remember this ... Bear NEVER played Auburn at Auburn. Wouldn't do it.

Geno goes thru a 64 team tournament every year ... so he always plays the top of the talent pool at some time during the year. And they destroy folks. Until BCS came into being (and not always then) that wasn't always the case in CFB.

Last night was a pretty big upset IMO and on a huge stage ... not during the regular season. If in regular season then not so big.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 10:56 PM
I won't argue how many take CFB more seriously than football. I kinda believe it's more than 4 or 5 .. but it ain't a ton for sure. But UConn women's basketball is one of the top 2 or 3 dynasties ever. This is their 2nd 90+ win streak.

Sorta like Oklahoma win streak under Bud Wilkinson ... except he only did it once. Bama has had some very good win streaks and their stretches under 3 or maybe 4 different coaches are quite impressive. But every year there are 1 or 2 teams in country that can beat them.

But under 1 coach there is no comparison. Name other dynasties that have gone 2+ and then 3+ years without losing a single game in any sport.

And Geno came along when WBB was being dominated by Pat Summit too.
It may be one of the top two or three and I actually agree, but nobody other than 4-5 schools really care.

msstate7
04-01-2017, 10:57 PM

Well that's a buzz kill... thought we were on the cusp of a great accomplishment, but only "4-5 schools" even care

TUSK
04-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Big win .. but how did we finish. And I was Bama fan in HS then. Big Bear Bryant fan and have his autobiography on my shelf. Remember this ... Bear NEVER played Auburn at Auburn. Wouldn't do it.

Geno goes thru a 64 team tournament every year ... so he always plays the top of the talent pool at some time during the year. And they destroy folks. Until BCS came into being (and not always then) that wasn't always the case in CFB.

Last night was a pretty big upset IMO and on a huge stage ... not during the regular season. If in regular season then not so big.

A lot of people don't know this... He (Bryant) never had to play there... nor Oxford, Starkville, etc, either...

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Well that's a buzz kill... thought we were on the cusp of a great accomplishment, but only "4-5 schools" even care

So tell me who really cares about women's basketball? I had five tickets for the first two rounds. I see it kind of like college baseball. It's the same type of niche sport. I was out ringing a cowbell and waking up the neighbors last night.

Liverpooldawg
04-01-2017, 11:04 PM
A lot of people don't know this... He (Bryant) never had to play there... nor Oxford, Starkville, etc, either...

THAT was OUR fault, not his. At least when it comes to us. I have no idea about Oxford, nor do I care.

dawgday166
04-01-2017, 11:05 PM

Yea ... ain't it tho.

To me to come up clutch on that stage last night in a final four ... I just want someone to point out 1 MSU team that has done that. 1985 Baseball ... no. 1996 Basketball .... no. 2013 Baseball ... no ... the more serious threats to our run were knocked out of tourney and we never faced them. 2014 football ... I'm okay with losing to Bama in Ttown but we couldn't beat an injury decimated OM team for shot at playoffs ... then got whupped by GT in Orange Bowl.

I don't know ... I can't think of one. And then take into account this college team (although not same personnel) beat us by 60 in last year's Sweet 16. I dunno ... color me dumb but I'm just pretty impressed myself.

dawgday166
04-01-2017, 11:06 PM

I know. I used to be a pretty decent sports historian **** Can't remember shit anymore tho lol.

99jc
04-01-2017, 11:13 PM
I know. I used to be a pretty decent sports historian **** Can't remember shit anymore tho lol.

For a national championship that UCONN win over shadows the BAMA win that game means little now a championship is forever.

Homedawg
04-01-2017, 11:24 PM

Disagree. This is second to the 6-3. Football is football. Not deminishing our win. But it's not above the Bama defeat
Eta sorry I should have read the rest of he thread .....

TimberBeast
04-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Disagree. This is second to the 6-3. Football is football. Not deminishing our win. But it's not above the Bama defeat
Eta sorry I should have read the rest of he thread .....

The 6-3 win over bama is not our greatest accomplishment, going to Atlanta is #1 and we have baseball accomplishments after that including 2013 that are bigger than that bama win.

Ari Gold
04-02-2017, 08:14 AM
This thread and posts proves my point on why you wanted to play Uconn in the final four .
There couldn't have been a script written better than how the game actually played out..