PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Staff

HSVDawg
03-30-2017, 10:55 PM
We have now had 5 games in a row where we have surrendered 4 runs or less after doing so just 9 times in the previous 22 games (against much weaker competition too). I think Henderson deserves a lot of credit for the improvement and perseverence of our staff throughout the season despite all the injuries and drama. We're still by no means in a good situation on the mound and really lack that go to guy from the pen that can eat chunks of innings when needed. But I think we are getting better and have found something with this spot duty approach with Barton, Self, Price, and others. Hopefully it continues.

GTHOM
03-30-2017, 10:58 PM
There is no doubt that our lineup is gonna hurt us more than our pitching. Very impressed at what we're doing considering the hand we were dealt

msstate7
03-30-2017, 11:08 PM
5 game winning streak bullpen stats...
23.0 ip 4 er 1.57 era

Jolly gave up 3 of the 4 in a blow out Saturday vs tenn

HSVDawg
03-30-2017, 11:11 PM
There is no doubt that our lineup is gonna hurt us more than our pitching. Very impressed at what we're doing considering the hand we were dealt

Well I think we are gonna live and die by the Top 3 in our order, who are all All-SEC caliber which is good. Our line-up could certainly be in worse shape. Generally, that 4-run threshold appears to be our litmus test. We are 11-3 in games where we give up 0-4 runs and 6-7 in games where we allow 5 or more runs. That tells me that our line-up, with all its deficiencies, is getting us 5+ runs per game on average. That is certainly not terrible although it could be improved. We're lacking in both hitting and pitching, but have shown tenacity and improvement in both. I'll be pretty pleased with this season if we continue to battle the same way over these last 29 games as we have in the first 27, regardless of the end result.

msstate7
03-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Well I think we are gonna live and die by the Top 3 in our order, who are all All-SEC caliber which is good. Our line-up could certainly be in worse shape. Generally, that 4-run threshold appears to be our litmus test. We are 11-3 in games where we give up 0-4 runs and 6-7 in games where we allow 5 or more runs. That tells me that our line-up, with all its deficiencies, is getting us 5+ runs per game on average. That is certainly not terrible although it could be improved. We're lacking in both hitting and pitching, but have shown tenacity and improvement in both. I'll be pretty pleased with this season if we continue to battle the same way over these last 29 games as we have in the first 27, regardless of the end result.

I think a healthy hunter Stovall will help us a lot... he can hit and he's elite at 2b defensively. I expect macnamee and Poole to continue to get better as the season goes on.

We need a a starter to emerge for Sundays. I'm not a fan of starting mangum

Choctaw Dawg
03-30-2017, 11:19 PM
I'm just worried that Henderson will leave as soon as the season ends (which I'm pretty sure will happen) A lot of turnover in the pitching coaches all teaching completely different philosophies are gonna wear our pitchers out.

HSVDawg
03-30-2017, 11:24 PM
I'm just worried that Henderson will leave as soon as the season ends (which I'm pretty sure will happen) A lot of turnover in the pitching coaches all teaching completely different philosophies are gonna wear our pitchers out.

Well if he gets another high profile HC job offer, I'm sure he will. But I don't see him bolting for a lateral job just because he wasn't Cann's chosen guy. He's certainly earned his keep thus far.

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 12:29 AM
I think a healthy hunter Stovall will help us a lot... he can hit and he's elite at 2b defensively. I expect macnamee and Poole to continue to get better as the season goes on.

We need a a starter to emerge for Sundays. I'm not a fan of starting mangum

We need Jacob Bilingsley to get healthy and take the Sunday spot.

Dawg61
03-31-2017, 12:56 AM
What about Cole Gordon? 4 scoreless vs Memphis w/ 5 k's

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 02:45 AM
I think Cole could be a possibility to start Saturday. We're going to need him and Mangum to give us some innings even after Billingsley comes back.

Rex
03-31-2017, 08:21 AM
Henderson has done an excellent job this year.

basedog
03-31-2017, 08:26 AM
Walking batter to pitch to Bortle was a great call. Made him look like trash chasing that breaking ball. Great call by Henerdson.

Price is looking like the real deal, dude throws strikes and has no fear.

"Young team learning how to win"!

maroonmania
03-31-2017, 08:55 AM

I think it will just depend on how the relationship between Cannizaro and Henderson has meshed. If they enjoy coaching with one another I don't see any reason Henderson wouldn't stay barring a HC offer. But on the other side Canny may rather bring somebody in that is his guy. However, the times I've heard Cannizaro speak about Henderson he speaks glowingly with respect and sounds appreciative to have a guy with that much experience on his staff.

Tbonewannabe
03-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Walking batter to pitch to Bortle was a great call. Made him look like trash chasing that breaking ball. Great call by Henerdson.

Price is looking like the real deal, dude throws strikes and has no fear.

"Young team learning how to win"!

Not knowing the lineup coming up, I was amazed we threw to the guy with 1st base open but I guess Canny saw the guy behind him was hitting well last night. So get the guy out who was either 1/4 or 0/4 then walk the 3/4 guy to get to the 0/4 guy with 3 strikeouts. Gutsy call when the first guy hits anything and it is probably a tie game.

pigsyox
03-31-2017, 12:46 PM
love seeing the new guys (especially Price and Self) coming in and grasping their roles. We all know its going to be a bit of a circus in the pitching department, but there is definite progress

basedog
03-31-2017, 12:53 PM
Not knowing the lineup coming up, I was amazed we threw to the guy with 1st base open but I guess Canny saw the guy behind him was hitting well last night. So get the guy out who was either 1/4 or 0/4 then walk the 3/4 guy to get to the 0/4 guy with 3 strikeouts. Gutsy call when the first guy hits anything and it is probably a tie game.

Baseball is full of "gutsy calls". Henderson is a very good pitching coach who obviously did a good job recruiting at Kentucky.
My Lsu buddy says wait till Canny starts recruiting "his type" guys. He is pretty intense but has a calmness while in the dugout, seems to me with Henderson approach of what call "laid back" and Canny's "intense side" is a good match.

Btw, we Msu fans worry way too much about loosing a coach or coaches especially when the season is going on.

maroonmania
03-31-2017, 01:58 PM
Baseball is full of "gutsy calls". Henderson is a very good pitching coach who obviously did a good job recruiting at Kentucky.
My Lsu buddy says wait till Canny starts recruiting "his type" guys. He is pretty intense but has a calmness while in the dugout, seems to me with Henderson approach of what call "laid back" and Canny's "intense side" is a good match.

Btw, we Msu fans worry way too much about loosing a coach or coaches especially when the season is going on.

I have never understood why having a "fiery" guy would make a difference as a pitching coach anyway. You are teaching the skills and techniques of pitching, you aren't asking them to run through brick walls for you. Now I do like having a guy with some fire leading the program because I think that competitiveness rubs off on the whole team.

basedog
03-31-2017, 03:26 PM
I have never understood why having a "fiery" guy would make a difference as a pitching coach anyway. You are teaching the skills and techniques of pitching, you aren't asking them to run through brick walls for you. Now I do like having a guy with some fire leading the program because I think that competitiveness rubs off on the whole team.

I'm with you on pitching Coaches, seems there needs to be a calmness who can teach confidence in one's ability. Screaming and jumping up down doesn't help concentration in trying to locate a pitch.

Henderson has a great reputation as a pitching coach and recruiter, never understand the hate from ED posters criticizing him especially without him getting pitchers he recruits. But I suppose we wouldn't be Msu without eating our own.