PDA

View Full Version : Above .500 in the SEC and RPI sitting at 24

Quaoarsking
03-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Anyone want to re-evaluate your predictions of whether or not we'll make a Regional?

confucius say
03-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. It's a three year rebuild****
Great job by Cann

ShotgunDawg
03-30-2017, 10:55 PM
I honestly have no clue how his team is winning.

There's a strong chance we look back in 5 years and say 2017 was worst roster Cannizaro has had a team MSU. I'm not getting my hopes up that this will last, but it is impressive

GTHOM
03-30-2017, 10:57 PM
Well some of us said calm down its been 5 games so

Commercecomet24
03-30-2017, 11:22 PM
Cannizaro is gonna get it done. He's a winner and doesn't know how to lose. He's got these kids scrapping and he's fighting with a short stick. Got to admire the job hes doing so far. There's a lot of season left but some good stuff happening right now.

CadaverDawg
03-30-2017, 11:25 PM
Cannizaro is gonna get it done. He's a winner and doesn't know how to lose. He's got these kids scrapping and he's fighting with a short stick. Got to admire the job hes doing so far. There's a lot of season left but some good stuff happening right now.

Yep, great post. I agree

confucius say
03-30-2017, 11:36 PM

He's a rockstar no doubt. Cohen doing work.

Dawg61
03-30-2017, 11:43 PM
Anyone want to re-evaluate your predictions of whether or not we'll make a Regional?

Yea you can put me on this list. I thought we were terrible after the Arkansas series and had us going 6-24 SEC. Happy to be wrong! We have looked like a totally different team since that series.

The Federalist Engineer
03-30-2017, 11:46 PM
This team is resembling LSU. Our opponents will start hating us for all the games they should have won against us. We might become the most dreaded, nightmarish 3-seed to ever walk into Fort Worth, TX or Louisville, KY.

Todd4State
03-30-2017, 11:49 PM

There's a strong chance we look back in 5 years and say 2017 was worst roster Cannizaro has had a team MSU. I'm not getting my hopes up that this will last, but it is impressive

This team has heart. And they won't quit.

BeardoMSU
03-31-2017, 01:00 AM
https://media.tenor.co/images/2800f216044ca7c31975eabc417e0925/tenor.gif

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-31-2017, 01:46 AM
He's a rockstar no doubt. Cohen doing work.

The fact that Cohen seemingly went straight to him as his replacement should show you what he thinks of Cann.

Dawgface
03-31-2017, 05:35 AM
I made no prediction on our record, but I thought it would be a rough year. Long way to go......but maybe it will be a decent year after all. Cann is the man!

I seen it dawg
03-31-2017, 06:01 AM
Well some of us said calm down its been 5 games so

Yyyyyyyyyyyyep

MetEdDawg
03-31-2017, 06:15 AM
Yea you can put me on this list. I thought we were terrible after the Arkansas series and had us going 6-24 SEC. Happy to be wrong! We have looked like a totally different team since that series.

Well Arkansas can pitch the piss out of the baseball. They've given up more than 4 runs in a game only 7 times in 25 games and 3 of those were to Bryant. They are gonna be tough to beat because of that. But now that we are hitting our groove we are doing the things necessary to win games against good teams.

99jc
03-31-2017, 06:48 AM
Well Arkansas can pitch the piss out of the baseball. They've given up more than 4 runs in a game only 7 times in 25 games and 3 of those were to Bryant. They are gonna be tough to beat because of that. But now that we are hitting our groove we are doing the things necessary to win games against good teams.

Take more prozac
.... post less

shoeless joe
03-31-2017, 07:04 AM
Cann said it after the Friday loss at ark, "we just gotta figure out how to win these type games".

That's all it is. When opportunity arises you hafta do the things necessary to get the job done. Nobody is going to be successful all the time...this is baseball...but you also can't fail every time. Rooker was a good example of that tonite.

Bully13
03-31-2017, 07:04 AM
Take more prozac
.... post less

??? Dude.

smootness
03-31-2017, 07:31 AM
The fact that Cohen seemingly went straight to him as his replacement should show you what he thinks of Cann.

Yep, that and how pissed Mainieri was.

I didn't think we were terrible, but we're definitely better than I thought we would be to this point. 4 big-time SEC wins in a row. If we can take one of the next 2, that puts us in pretty good shape.

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2017, 07:35 AM
Yep, that and how pissed Mainieri was.

I didn't think we were terrible, but we're definitely better than I thought we would be to this point. 4 big-time SEC wins in a row. If we can take one of the next 2, that puts us in pretty good shape.

Speaking of Mainieri being pissed. LSU lost 4-0 at home to A&M last night.

msstate7
03-31-2017, 07:38 AM
Speaking of Mainieri being pissed. LSU lost 4-0 at home to A&M last night.

After losing to Tulane Tuesday and 2 of 3 to Florida. They've lost 4 of 5

Dental Dawg33
03-31-2017, 07:43 AM
Exactly. He's got these kids in the right mindset and they are scrappy. Last night was a perfect example, on the road. We've lost 5 games this year by 1 run, 7 guys out with TJ, and bunch of young guys playing. If we start getting production out of the back half of the line up, we will be hard to handle. Makes me wish we could see this team with a healthy bullpen. The Diamond Dawgs have a bright future under Cann

smootness
03-31-2017, 07:55 AM
We really need for at least one other hitter to emerge. We have 3 legit studs at the top of the order, which is great, and Cody Brown has been good this year. We just need for somebody else to emerge to at least give us a threat. We don't really have many black holes, which is also good, though we need Skelton and/or Blaylock to pick it up. Stovall returning will help. But if somebody like Poole can really get going, we'll score runs.

basedog
03-31-2017, 07:59 AM
Young team learning how to win!

lamont
03-31-2017, 08:24 AM
He pulls it off he should be COY

I still don't think we make it. Tenn is awful and OM can't hit. We'll see how the rest of our staff does. Winning this series would be huge tho- no doubt

Tbonewannabe
03-31-2017, 09:11 AM

This times 1000. Also Canny is learning as a first time Head Coach so he is only going to get better as he goes. This year is improving but next year could be Hell On Wheels if we had people like Rooker come back.

smootness
03-31-2017, 09:20 AM
Rooker won't be back. No chance.

And Gridley won't be the way he's playing.

We have to hope Mangum comes back.

KB21
03-31-2017, 09:22 AM

If 2017 is the worst roster Cannizaro has had at MSU in 5 years, then it is not due to a lack of talent on this team. It is more due to the injuries this team has incurred and the strong recruiting Cannizaro is going to do going forward.

This team doesn't lack talent. They are lacking in experience, and as these guys get experience, they are getting more confident. With that confidence, they are getting better.

Tbonewannabe
03-31-2017, 09:24 AM
Rooker won't be back. No chance.

And Gridley won't be the way he's playing.

We have to hope Mangum comes back.

I was just hoping Canny was able to get some guys back like LSU does every year.

KB21
03-31-2017, 09:24 AM
We really need for at least one other hitter to emerge. We have 3 legit studs at the top of the order, which is great, and Cody Brown has been good this year. We just need for somebody else to emerge to at least give us a threat. We don't really have many black holes, which is also good, though we need Skelton and/or Blaylock to pick it up. Stovall returning will help. But if somebody like Poole can really get going, we'll score runs.

Elijah MacNamee has stepped up in conference play.

Bully13
03-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Exactly. He's got these kids in the right mindset and they are scrappy. Last night was a perfect example, on the road. We've lost 5 games this year by 1 run, 7 guys out with TJ, and bunch of young guys playing. If we start getting production out of the back half of the line up, we will be hard to handle. Makes me wish we could see this team with a healthy bullpen. The Diamond Dawgs have a bright future under Cann

Winning 1 run games separates good teams from mediocre teams. Many mediocre teams can say only if we'd just won half of our 1 run losses then we'd be _____

That's why games like last night gets me to thinking these youngsters are growing some mental toughness.

smootness
03-31-2017, 09:30 AM
I was just hoping Canny was able to get some guys back like LSU does every year.

I don't think LSU gets anyone back who OPS's 1.000+ as a junior.

Cannizaro may be charismatic and a good recruiter, but he's not a hypnotist.

Shake 'n Bake
03-31-2017, 09:34 AM
The next 3 weeks are critical, claw to 8-7, and we're looking pretty good. RPI wise, the schedule loosens up pretty good once the second half of sec play.

Tbonewannabe
03-31-2017, 10:25 AM
I don't think LSU gets anyone back who OPS's 1.000+ as a junior.

Cannizaro may be charismatic and a good recruiter, but he's not a hypnotist.

True, if Rooker keeps this up, he is probably a 1st round pick. At this pace he will have better stats than Renfroe. LSU has had pretty high draft picks come back for another year though. Hopefully we at least bring back Mangum unless he goes in the 1st round.

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 10:37 AM
He pulls it off he should be COY

I still don't think we make it. Tenn is awful and OM can't hit. We'll see how the rest of our staff does. Winning this series would be huge tho- no doubt

Based on our RPI and the rest of our schedule right now we have a better chance of hosting than we do of missing the regionals. Unless we just tank it the rest of the way.

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 10:41 AM
True, if Rooker keeps this up, he is probably a 1st round pick. At this pace he will have better stats than Renfroe. LSU has had pretty high draft picks come back for another year though. Hopefully we at least bring back Mangum unless he goes in the 1st round.

Looking at the mock drafts Rooker isn't projected to be a first round pick as of now. That could certainly change though. Prople need to remember that the MLB draft is more about skill set and projection than it is performance. That said I'm not expecting him back.

We need to watch some of our recruits- Jordan Anderson, Bryce Hutchinson, and Tanner Allen are gaining steam. I'm pretty sure we won't get Quenton Holmes. Cann is going to be tested this offseason.

smootness
03-31-2017, 10:43 AM

Do we know what juniors they've had come back for a senior year? Because it is incredibly rare to get any junior who is a top 8-10 round pick to come back.

smootness
03-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Rooker doesn't have to be a 1st round pick to not come back. If he's drafted anywhere above Round 10, he's basically a certainty to leave. Even if he goes later than that, he's probably gone.

We are 100% not getting Holmes, he will be an easy 1st round pick at this point. If we can get Anderson, that would be an incredible pull.

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 11:16 AM
Do we know what juniors they've had come back for a senior year? Because it is incredibly rare to get any junior who is a top 8-10 round pick to come back.

Jared Poche', Kramer Robertson, and Cole Freeman. It's not the guys leaving in rounds 8-10 that kill us- it's the Jack Kruger's and Zac Houston's. Gridley I doubt will be a top 10 round pick. We'll see on Rooker- I think he plays into the top 10 rounds. Mangum's stock appears to be dropping some and he has leverage anyway.

msstate7
03-31-2017, 11:21 AM
Jared Poche', Kramer Robertson, and Cole Freeman. It's not the guys leaving in rounds 8-10 that kill us- it's the Jack Kruger's and Zac Houston's. Gridley I doubt will be a top 10 round pick. We'll see on Rooker- I think he plays into the top 10 rounds. Mangum's stock appears to be dropping some and he has leverage anyway.

I can't really blame them for going. Your leverage will be gone and you don't even get a full scholarship.

Jack Lambert
03-31-2017, 11:27 AM
The coach has a lot of baseball sense. Some of the moves yesterday was brilliant. Looks like he change the batting order up a little which paid off. Now will he be able to recruit we will see. I think the up grade to Dudy Noble is going to go a long ways in that aspect and put pressure on other schools to do some things.

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 12:06 PM
I can't really blame them for going. Your leverage will be gone and you don't even get a full scholarship.

Ultimately though it's about what you make in MLB and not what your bonus is. If you're a college junior drafted in the 18th round and you get 300k vs coming back and getting yourself even better for pro ball you can end up like Kendall Graveman.

msstate7
03-31-2017, 12:10 PM
The coach has a lot of baseball sense. Some of the moves yesterday was brilliant. Looks like he change the batting order up a little which paid off. Now will he be able to recruit we will see. I think the up grade to Dudy Noble is going to go a long ways in that aspect and put pressure on other schools to do some things.

Every move Cann made last night came up roses. The hit-and-run with mangum was my favorite. It allowed us to get rooker up with tying runs on base. It was a great call

Commercecomet24
03-31-2017, 12:10 PM
This team has heart. And they won't quit.

This in bulk! And it starts at the top. Cann has sent a message. He benched Mangum let Cyr go even when he needed the arm. Players are buying in and playing hard. Cann exudes confidence even when it wasn't going well. It's why the players love him(well at least those who want to win) and why recruits want to play for him!

Commercecomet24
03-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Looking at the mock drafts Rooker isn't projected to be a first round pick as of now. That could certainly change though. Prople need to remember that the MLB draft is more about skill set and projection than it is performance. That said I'm not expecting him back.

We need to watch some of our recruits- Jordan Anderson, Bryce Hutchinson, and Tanner Allen are gaining steam. I'm pretty sure we won't get Quenton Holmes. Cann is going to be tested this offseason.

OT a little but JT Ginn had 3 HRS 3 doubles a triple and 19 RBIs LAST WEEK. And just for good measure Washington Nationals scout got him at 97 mph closing game against Petal last week. He's a junior will be on campus in a couple years.

lamont
03-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Based on our RPI and the rest of our schedule right now we have a better chance of hosting than we do of missing the regionals. Unless we just tank it the rest of the way.

Disagree. We have the tougher part of our schedule coming that will likely add lots of losses

msstate7
03-31-2017, 12:22 PM
OT a little but JT Ginn had 3 HRS 3 doubles a triple and 19 RBIs LAST WEEK. And just for good measure Washington Nationals scout got him at 97 mph closing game against Petal last week. He's a junior will be on campus in a couple years.

97 mph as a junior... I wouldn't count on him making it to campus

Commercecomet24
03-31-2017, 12:25 PM
97 mph as a junior... I wouldn't count on him making it to campus

Normally you wouldn't but they're personal friends of mine and his dad wants him to play college ball and play at the new Dudy. No guarantees but as of right now he'll be with us. Oh they love Cann too.

smootness
03-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Ultimately though it's about what you make in MLB and not what your bonus is. If you're a college junior drafted in the 18th round and you get 300k vs coming back and getting yourself even better for pro ball you can end up like Kendall Graveman.

Graveman was a 36th round pick as a junior, the difference in bonus likely wasn't going to be that much.

As to the LSU guys you listed earlier, Poche was drafted in the 14th round, Robertson was drafted in the 18th, and Freeman was drafted in the 32nd; and it's likely none of them were offered that much.

Houston was drafted in the 11th and signed for $190,000 and Kruger signed for just shy of $400,000.

It is absolutely about the bonus; you're not going to convince a college junior who is offered what those two guys were to come back. Graveman, despite being an 8th round pick as a senior, got just $5,000.

Rooker won't be back, and there's nothing Cannizaro can do about it.

BayouDawg
03-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Take more prozac
.... post less

Lithium is the bipolar medication. Antidepressants to a bipolar person makes their manic phases even more intense. Lord knows we don't need that**

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2017, 12:49 PM
If 2017 is the worst roster Cannizaro has had at MSU in 5 years, then it is not due to a lack of talent on this team. It is more due to the injuries this team has incurred and the strong recruiting Cannizaro is going to do going forward.

This team doesn't lack talent. They are lacking in experience, and as these guys get experience, they are getting more confident. With that confidence, they are getting better.

No, this team lacks talent. Don't fool yourself.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2017, 12:51 PM
True, if Rooker keeps this up, he is probably a 1st round pick..

For 17s sake. Sheesh.

Rooker will be a SR sign money saver in the 4th/5th round

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Yup. Rooker basically has to go because he'll be to old if he comes backs. A 22 year old SR is meh. A 23 year old SR is fubar

Tbonewannabe
03-31-2017, 12:57 PM
For 17s sake. Sheesh.

Rooker will be a SR sign money saver in the 4th/5th round

Rooker is a redshirt Junior so he still has the leverage. Someone will take him before the 5th if he keeps on what he is doing which is one of the best seasons in SEC history. The guy leads almost EVERY single category in hitting in the SEC. This isn't like he is in the Sunbelt.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2017, 12:57 PM
Graveman was a 36th round pick as a junior, the difference in bonus likely wasn't going to be that much.

As to the LSU guys you listed earlier, Poche was drafted in the 14th round, Robertson was drafted in the 18th, and Freeman was drafted in the 32nd; and it's likely none of them were offered that much.

Houston was drafted in the 11th and signed for $190,000 and Kruger signed for just shy of $400,000.

It is absolutely about the bonus; you're not going to convince a college junior who is offered what those two guys were to come back. Graveman, despite being an 8th round pick as a senior, got just $5,000.

Where guys go in the draft isn't always indicative of their talent.

Jared Poche would've gone in the 4th-7th round last year but told teams he wouldn't sign what they thought was his value. Therefore, he fell to the 18th round & a team took him, hoping they could save a little money in the top 10 rounds & throw at him.

ShotgunDawg
03-31-2017, 01:00 PM
Rooker is a redshirt Junior so he still has the leverage. Someone will take him before the 5th if he keeps on what he is doing which is one of the best seasons in SEC history. The guy leads almost EVERY single category in hitting in the SEC. This isn't like he is in the Sunbelt.

Like I said, he'll go in the 4th/5th round. However, he doesn't have much leverage because he'll be 22 1/5 by the draft. That means, if he comes back, he'll be 23 1/5 at next year's draft. That's unbelievably old & something he'll avoid.

My guess is that he goes in the 4th/5th round & signs for somewhere around 120 K

smootness
03-31-2017, 01:10 PM
Where guys go in the draft isn't always indicative of their talent.

Jared Poche would've gone in the 4th-7th round last year but told teams he wouldn't sign what they thought was his value. Therefore, he fell to the 18th round & a team took him, hoping they could save a little money in the top 10 rounds & throw at him.

Correct, but he fully wanted to sign. He didn't just decide to come back to school because those at LSU convinced him to.

Once again, it's all about the signing bonus.

bulldogcountry1
03-31-2017, 01:19 PM
I don't know where this team will end up. We're still very thin and inexperienced. That said, they are gutsy and relentless.

I will confess that I had a sick feeling in my stomach, after the USM game and after the latest round of suspensions and injuries, that things could possibly get bad. After all, who could keep a team going at that point? Well, this team shows a determination that the 2015 team never did. That team looked lost and aimless all season. This team just keeps improving and doesn't get rattled with adversity. If we can somehow avoid any further issues and get back Stoval and....anyone back, then we have a chance.

maroonmania
03-31-2017, 01:54 PM
I made no prediction on our record, but I thought it would be a rough year. Long way to go......but maybe it will be a decent year after all. Cann is the man!

Cann is starting to make a believer out of me. I had said I thought we would be doing well to win 10-11 SEC games this year after what I had seen through the Arkansas series but we sure don't quit and the hitting is improving up and down the lineup. We may be able to go around .500 in the league. Our bullpen has been really solid and usually when they get into trouble its because they are walking people. If Cannizaro gets this team to a regional then he is doing some good work for sure given how shorthanded we are.

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 02:12 PM

Yeah but how many millions is he going to make now? He came back and Graveman got better and it helped him get to MLB quicker. What's better? 300K or 5 million with MLB fame after getting 5K up front?

Again I'm not worried about Rooker. I'm worried about guys like Gridley. How much better would we be with Sexton and Kruger right now? Those are the guys we need to be worried about keeping- and that has been killing us more than the draft from a high school standpoint. I'm not even sure why you keep bringing Rooker is not coming back over and over since no one disagrees with you.

TNDawg35
03-31-2017, 02:13 PM
Here is the thing about Canny. He was a scout for the Yankees. He knows how the process works. He can sit out recruits and our draftees down and explain to them stuff that a reg coach cant. Canny knows the secrets of the scouts and I believe will bring in some recruits that Cohen wouldnt have. That being said, I think we loose Rooker and I think its gonna come down to what Mangum dad says for him. From what I heard, after he got suspended his Dad called and tore him a new one.

Tbonewannabe
03-31-2017, 02:16 PM
Here is the thing about Canny. He was a scout for the Yankees. He knows how the process works. He can sit out recruits and our draftees down and explain to them stuff that a reg coach cant. Canny knows the secrets of the scouts and I believe will bring in some recruits that Cohen wouldnt have. That being said, I think we loose Rooker and I think its gonna come down to what Mangum dad says for him. From what I heard, after he got suspended his Dad called and tore him a new one.

Mangum still has 2 more years so he can come back and still have the normal leverage a draftee has. I would think unless Mangum goes in the top 2 or 3 rounds that he would be back especially with a possible great team coming back for 2018. I would think Rooker is gone unless it is something weird in the draft especially since he will have been here for 4 years with his redshirt.

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 02:16 PM
Disagree. We have the tougher part of our schedule coming that will likely add lots of losses

Actually we're in the midst of the tougher part of the schedule the next few weekends. I think we probably win the UK series. After South Carolina we have a bad Alabama team at home a good Auburn team at home a terrible Georgia team on the road, a good Texas A&M team on the road and LSU in Srarkville. We should be able to win three of those series at least.

Todd4State
03-31-2017, 02:19 PM
Correct, but he fully wanted to sign. He didn't just decide to come back to school because those at LSU convinced him to.

Once again, it's all about the signing bonus.

Way to twist that to fit your opinion. If he wanted to sign his ass would be gone. Just like Dale Burdick.