PDA

View Full Version : Chances on Malik Newman?

smootness
09-12-2013, 08:07 AM
What say ye?

There's an article on scout with interviews with him and Horatio Webster, and everything seems to be moving in a positive direction for us. I'm not saying we lead, but he keeps coming to campus, and his dad seems legitimately impressed with the way Ray has developed our guys from last year after watching Malik play against them.

To me, it says two things: 1) our team may not be so bad this year, and 2) he's beginning to buy in to Rick Ray. Both of those things would be monumental in our push to land the kid, and landing him would mean unbelievable things for our program.

msstate7
09-12-2013, 08:11 AM
To get him we need an nit appearance or winning record at least. Got to have results this year

smootness
09-12-2013, 08:18 AM
To get him we need an nit appearance or winning record at least. Got to have results this year

I think you may be right, but it might just take our core of young guys (Ready, Thomas, Sword, Ware) proving that they can be impact players at this level. Remember that he's just a junior, so there will actually be 2 more seasons before he would come to State. I think all things being equal, he'd pick State. Obviously all things aren't equal, but they seem to be buying into Ray, which is a huge part of the battle; and his dad keeps talking about Malik wanting to have players around him...obviously that's the hurdle, but those guys may all still be around and will be upperclassmen when Newman shows up; if they start to show this year that they will be serious players in the SEC, I think we'll start to get some real momentum.

Coach34
09-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Shit, we will win 17-18 games this year, so not worried about a winning record. I dont know if that will be enough to sway The Big Train, but I hope so.

fishwater99
09-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I think you may be right, but it might just take our core of young guys (Ready, Thomas, Sword, Ware) proving that they can be impact players at this level. Remember that he's just a junior, so there will actually be 2 more seasons before he would come to State. I think all things being equal, he'd pick State. Obviously all things aren't equal, but they seem to be buying into Ray, which is a huge part of the battle; and his dad keeps talking about Malik wanting to have players around him...obviously that's the hurdle, but those guys may all still be around and will be upperclassmen when Newman shows up; if they start to show this year that they will be serious players in the SEC, I think we'll start to get some real momentum.

That's a good point, Ware, Thomas and Sword will be Juniors when Newman is a freshman. That should be a good group, just need another good Big Man to add to them..

msstate7
09-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Shit, we will win 17-18 games this year, so not worried about a winning record. I dont know if that will be enough to sway The Big Train, but I hope so.

I think we're gonna have a good year also.

smootness
09-12-2013, 08:23 AM
That's a good point, Ware, Thomas and Sword will be Juniors when Newman is a freshman. That should be a good group, just need another good Big Man to add to them..

They'll actually be seniors, and that's my point. It doesn't all hinge on this year alone. He is a 2015 kid.

C222
09-12-2013, 08:25 AM
What say ye?

There's an article on scout with interviews with him and Horatio Webster, and everything seems to be moving in a positive direction for us. I'm not saying we lead, but he keeps coming to campus, and his dad seems legitimately impressed with the way Ray has developed our guys from last year after watching Malik play against them.

To me, it says two things: 1) our team may not be so bad this year, and 2) he's beginning to buy in to Rick Ray. Both of those things would be monumental in our push to land the kid, and landing him would mean unbelievable things for our program.

We will be in it until the end.

fishwater99
09-12-2013, 08:29 AM
You are correct, my bad.
That's an even better proposition for a 1 and done guy. 3 solid senior SEC players, but no star, just add Newman...

smootness
09-12-2013, 08:30 AM
It seems to me as though they're going to give Ray every chance to prove he can do it, essentially giving him right of first refusal. If they totally buy in, I think we'll get him; if not, then they'll look at other options.

That's a good place for us to be, but it also still won't be easy.

Coach34
09-12-2013, 08:31 AM
You are correct, my bad.
That's an even better proposition for a 1 and done guy. 3 solid senior SEC players, but no star, just add Newman...

exactly- and this is being pushed hard

Thick
09-12-2013, 09:31 AM
I told you guys that we are not out of the picture a few weeks ago. Not to mention that Ray has worked himself into the good graces of the cigar boys.

smootness
09-12-2013, 09:42 AM
In time, I think Ray will be considered a phenomenal hire, whether we land Newman or not. I don't think it will be very long before he is getting his name thrown out there for other jobs.

TheRef
09-12-2013, 09:45 AM
In time, I think Ray will be considered a phenomenal hire, whether we land Newman or not. I don't think it will be very long before he is getting his name thrown out there for other jobs.

That's what I'm afraid of with Ray. He's a phenomenal coach. He won't take crap from the players like Stans used to. He's hard-nosed. He recruits for the type of play he wants to run (Which is fast and exciting). I want the Hump to be rocking like it was back in the day. I want us back in the national spotlight and in games that people WANT to watch. Ray has us going in the right direction. Will we have slip-ups? Of course. Will we have as bad of problems as we did under Stans? More than likely, not. I like Rick Ray. I've seen multiple nights where his office lights are on in the Mize Pavilion late.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-12-2013, 09:47 AM
So your fear is that he will turn around the program?

TheRef
09-12-2013, 09:48 AM
So your fear is that he will turn around the program?

My fear is that a bigger University will snatch him up BEFORE he's done turning around the program.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Ah...no one would snatch him up unless he makes the NCAA tournament. If he gets us back to that place we will be in a much better place to make a good hire, so I won't complain.

TheRef
09-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Ah...no one would snatch him up unless he makes the NCAA tournament. If he gets us back to that place we will be in a much better place to make a good hire, so I won't complain.

Valid point. I agree. Regardless, I will be in my referee outfit for every game this year. #HailState

smootness
09-12-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not overly worried about it. Obviously, first, he has to actually get it done. Second, we are and certainly have the capability to be a better program with more resources than a place like VCU, and they've been able to hang on to Smart for the time being. Obviously it will always be tough for us to keep a coach if a place like Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc. come calling, but the chances of that are slim. He would have to elevate himself head and shoulders above most of the coaches in the country. It just seems less likely for basketball coaches to jump around than football coaches, partially because it's easier for smaller schools to compete monetarily with what bigger programs are willing to offer.

We have the fan support; we have a decent history; we have some pretty nice facilities; and we've been able to attract talent. We also have the ability to be competitive in salary if we need to be.

I just think his name will be thrown around, but it would take a lot for someone to come calling that could actually take him away.

TheRef
09-12-2013, 10:14 AM
I like that attitude! Now let's see if we can fill the student section this year for a game other than TSUN...that'll be a struggle until the students realize "Hey...we're good this year. I'll go now." Then complain whenever people like me who are at every game sit in the front and stand the whole time. Not that it has happened to me before...... /sarcasm

smootness
09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I wish I could be down there, but I'm in Atlanta, so I can't get to many games. I think the atmosphere should be improved, though; the Ole Miss game was huge, and we got some momentum going toward the end of the year. I think there's a little bit of buzz starting to build around the program, and you should see some more excitement this year.

Ray personally pleading with fans to get to that Ole Miss game, followed by the team rewarding them, was a great thing for the overall fan support. He just gets it.

msstate7
09-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Speaking of basketball... Who knows about our pg's? Is Davis or ready better? How good is applewhite?

engie
09-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Speaking of basketball... Who knows about our pg's? Is Davis or ready better?

Doesn't really matter -- they are both going to play a TON if the system is how I expect it to be this year on the defensive end... This team will play twice as much "basketball" in 40 minutes as the later Stans teams did...

maroonmania
09-12-2013, 11:21 AM

I tend to agree with this from what I've seen so far. Of course to fully solidify my view on Ray I need to see what improvement the program has made between year 1 and 2 but so far I'm buying in on Ray. In fact, if we go into Auburn and lay an egg Saturday night, then on my Mullen, Ray, Cohen relative comparison chart Mullen would fall to the bottom behind not only Cohen but also Ray.