PDA

View Full Version : Basketball transfers?

msbulldog
03-28-2017, 06:46 AM
Jake Wimberly said there are rumors of 2 men's basketball transfers, yesterday on his podcast. Anybody heard that?

Steakonastick
03-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Strugg is one. Now if we sign another player somebody is else is leaving.

13 Ships
1. Weatherspoon
2. Holman
3. Stapleton
4. Peters
5. Carter
6. Wright
7. Kegler
8. Heard
9. Ado
10. Datcher
11. Lil' spoon
12. Brooks
13. Frazell

shannondawg
03-28-2017, 07:41 AM
14. Heard

headcoach98
03-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Long as it's not Wright I won't be as upset.

msstate7
03-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Long as it's not Wright I won't be as upset.

I love wright, but there's some must keeps above him

thf24
03-28-2017, 07:52 AM
Strugg shouldn't be considered a rumor, it should have been obvious he would be asked to move on when we signed both Brooks and Feazell last year.

Dawg61
03-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Strugg shouldn't be considered a rumor, it should have been obvious he would be asked to move on when we signed both Brooks and Feazell last year.

He was already off the team before the season ended

lamont
03-28-2017, 08:18 AM
Peters, Keg, and Wright have been rumored to be considering moving on for whatever reason. Nobody knows yet what the outcome will be.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Peters, Keg, and Wright have been rumored to be considering moving on for whatever reason. Nobody knows yet what the outcome will be.

And tell us where you heard these rumors.

Big4Dawg
03-28-2017, 08:32 AM

Why would two starters leave?

lamont
03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
And tell us where you heard these rumors.

From your Momma

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
The fact we are looking at Chris Darrington who is a combo guard should give a hint to who one of them could be.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-28-2017, 08:37 AM
"your Momma"? Is it 1995 again? ^^^Rumors came from message board and no REAL source. ^^^

MarketingBully
03-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Would be dumb as shit for Peters or Kegler to leave but after last year and Malik Newman having to go nothing would surprise me at this point.

lamont
03-28-2017, 08:53 AM
I've got the track record- ask me something stupid you get a smartass answer.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2017, 08:56 AM

It happened several times under Stans. Some guys might think Howland is too demanding even though they want to play in the NBA. Similar to if people think Canny expects too much. They are getting everyone prepared for the next level if they are on the team. Some guys probably believe all the hype they have been fed over the years that they are the next Jordan or Lebron. What those guys don't see is the drive that those guys have and how much time they spend on everything including defense.

MarketingBully
03-28-2017, 08:59 AM
I don't think Wright transfers. Paul interviewed him recently in the last couple of weeks and he said he was happy. Peters and Kegler I am not sure about. Would suck to lose both or either of those. I am hoping everyone sticks together because a team of 10 out of 13 4 stars is pretty bad ass. Odds are really good we will have a break out season next year but who the heck knows what kids think now a days.

lamont
03-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Keg's issue is about having to play the 4 spot. I thought we had solved that. SO hopefully all that dies with him

No idea why Peters would leave. Wright's would obviously be playing time

HoopsDawg
03-28-2017, 09:13 AM
The only thing that would be surprising to me is if no one transferred. The only player I would be upset about would be Q and he's not leaving.

HoopsDawg
03-28-2017, 09:19 AM
Would be dumb as shit for Peters or Kegler to leave but after last year and Malik Newman having to go nothing would surprise me at this point.

The problem with Keglar is he's not really a 3 and he's not really a 4. He's a good player with potential, but if we are going to run a 3 guard lineup (which we are), we need 2 bigs underneath.

Gutter Cobreh
03-28-2017, 09:20 AM
I've got the track record- ask me something stupid you get a smartass answer.

You think you're C34 or something? How can you have a track record when you haven't even been here a year???***

Egos around this place are growing by the day!!!

lamont
03-28-2017, 09:25 AM
You think you're C34 or something? How can you have a track record when you haven't even been here a year???***

Egos around this place are growing by the day!!!

My handle was HD6 on another board

Madisonmd
03-28-2017, 09:32 AM
My handle was HD6 on another board

Peters has had some locker room issues. A departure would not be out of the question. Kegler's guardian has been an issue all along. He puts some ideas in the kids head and things go hay wire from there. Any of the 2 would not be a shock. I feel sure this staff has contingency plans. Remember Weatherspoon is coming,i.e. PG should be in good hands.Holman and Ado would make a nice 4/5 combo.

HoopsDawg
03-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Peters has had some locker room issues. A departure would not be out of the question. Kegler's guardian has been an issue all along. He puts some ideas in the kids head and things go hay wire from there. Any of the 2 would not be a shock. I feel sure this staff has contingency plans. Remember Weatherspoon is coming,i.e. PG should be in good hands.Holman and Ado would make a nice 4/5 combo.

I have no problem with this lineup:

G: N. Spoon
G: T. Carter
G: Q. Spoon
F: Holman
F: Ado

Then in the frontcourt you would have Brooks/Herard and in the backcourt you would have X, Eli and maybe you can sign the JC combo guard.

maroonmania
03-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Well we certainly don't need Peters and Kegler to leave, otherwise, all of the experience they gained this year was just a total waste of everyone's time (like it was with Malik). Even with N Weatherspoon coming in you don't constantly need all of that inexperience at the guard position. Even this year we saw that a lot of the time we were better with Ready on the floor over Peters even though nobody would argue that Ready was even close to as talented as Peters. Seems to me we would be better off with a guy like Wright leaving only from the perspective that he didn't get anywhere close to the playing minutes at key times in ball games that Peters and Kegler got.

pdawg10msu
03-28-2017, 09:57 AM
I can 100% confirm Peters is not leaving.

lamont
03-28-2017, 10:00 AM
I can 100% confirm Peters is not leaving.

I hope not. He's my favorite player

pdawg10msu
03-28-2017, 10:05 AM
I hope not. He's my favorite player
I go to church with Datcher and he is still well involved with our youth group. He said Peters is 100% all dawg.

drummerdawg
03-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Peters won't leave.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2017, 10:25 AM
As of today nobody is leaving but it is basketball & they leave at a rapid rate. There was talk about Eli a few weeks back but he's said all the right things recently. We have to keep recruiting guys & keeping kids warm because if someone does decide to leave in the next few weeks you don't want to be caught flat footed. If we can make it through the next few weeks with no news I think we'll be ok. Now soon as I say this someone will announce they're transferring after lunch.

smootness
03-28-2017, 10:29 AM
If we want to make a run at the Tournament next year, Peters has to be involved. Period.

basedog
03-28-2017, 10:41 AM
N Spoon is the real deal, great attitude, great team leader, great athletic ability, not sure we have a player with all he possesses overall.

HSVDawg
03-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Malik Newman
Jalen Steele
Rodney Hood
Phil Turner
Romero Osby
Reggie Delk
Richard Delk
Ben Hansbrough
Walter Sharpe
Robert Jackson

We have starters leave our program all the time over a period spanning 3 different coaches. I hope there's nothing to it, but nobody should be surprised if it is true that one or more players are unhappy.

maroonmania
03-28-2017, 10:49 AM
As of today nobody is leaving but it is basketball & they leave at a rapid rate. There was talk about Eli a few weeks back but he's said all the right things recently. We have to keep recruiting guys & keeping kids warm because if someone does decide to leave in the next few weeks you don't want to be caught flat footed. If we can make it through the next few weeks with no news I think we'll be ok. Now soon as I say this someone will announce they're transferring after lunch.

Well that's good to hear. I don't why Wimberley felt the need to throw that out there on the airwaves. Heck, he was the one complaining a couple of weeks ago about someone putting out the "rumor" that Malik Dear was done for the year. IMO, speculating on Dear's health on social media is a lot more benign than going on the air stating you have sources saying we may have 2 basketball transfers.

MarketingBully
03-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Well that's good to hear. I don't why Wimberley felt the need to throw that out there on the airwaves. Heck, he was the one complaining a couple of weeks ago about someone putting out the "rumor" that Malik Dear was done for the year. IMO, speculating on Dear's health on social media is a lot more benign than going on the air stating you have sources saying we may have 2 basketball transfers.

Agreed, especially when he seems confident about it yet doesn't know which two it is.

yjnkdawg
03-28-2017, 11:01 AM

So it's perfectly fine for him to run on with rumors, but others shouldn't? Don't you imagine he is just trying to get more listeners?

HoopsDawg
03-28-2017, 11:09 AM

I hope no one transfers, but I don't think we need a contingency plan in the front court. If Peters left, we would probably need to add Derrington if possible. We play too many guys as is. All of these Elite teams, basically play 7 guys. We need to trim our rotation.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2017, 11:16 AM
I hope no one transfers, but I don't think we need a contingency plan in the front court. If Peters left, we would probably need to add Derrington if possible. We play too many guys as is. All of these Elite teams, basically play 7 guys. We need to trim our rotation.

If for some reason someone did transfer I don't think I would sign another player for this class. We already don't have a scholarship available for next year but you know we will sign at least 1 probably 2 players so bank that for next year. I do agree with you on the rotation part. Unless we decide to press next year which is totally out of Howland's character then the rotation is going to be close to what you see now. Peters will get his normal minutes. Nick will take IJ minutes. Q is Q. The biggest question is who gets more minutes Tyson or Eli. They both can't play 20 min a game. 1 is going to get the majority & the other will get crumbs. Mario & Xay will split minutes at the 3. Holman will start at the 4. You can still move Mario & Xay to the 4 when you go small. I think Brooks will get 6-8 minutes at the backup 4 when we stay big. His minutes will be like Datcher this year just as needed. Then Ado & Herard at the 5. You will have 9 guys with consistent minutes & then situational minutes for a couple guys depending on the situation.

Dawg61
03-28-2017, 11:28 AM
If for some reason someone did transfer I don't think I would sign another player for this class. We already don't have a scholarship available for next year but you know we will sign at least 1 probably 2 players so bank that for next year. I do agree with you on the rotation part. Unless we decide to press next year which is totally out of Howland's character then the rotation is going to be close to what you see now. Peters will get his normal minutes. Nick will take IJ minutes. Q is Q. The biggest question is who gets more minutes Tyson or Eli. They both can't play 20 min a game. 1 is going to get the majority & the other will get crumbs. Mario & Xay will split minutes at the 3. Holman will start at the 4. You can still move Mario & Xay to the 4 when you go small. I think Brooks will get 6-8 minutes at the backup 4 when we stay big. His minutes will be like Datcher this year just as needed. Then Ado & Herard at the 5. You will have 9 guys with consistent minutes & then situational minutes for a couple guys depending on the situation.

Holman should be getting Wright, Carter, Stapleton type minutes imo. He hasn't done anything to deserve more minutes than those guys. We need a grad transfer power forward.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Holman should be getting Wright, Carter, Stapleton type minutes imo. He hasn't done anything to deserve more minutes than those guys. We need a grad transfer power forward.

Holman, Carter, & Stapleton all play around 20 minutes a game give a take a couple of minutes.

tcdog70
03-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Malik Newman
Jalen Steele
Rodney Hood
Phil Turner
Romero Osby
Reggie Delk
Richard Delk
Ben Hansbrough
Walter Sharpe
Robert Jackson

We have starters leave our program all the time over a period spanning 3 different coaches. I hope there's nothing to it, but nobody should be surprised if it is true that one or more players are unhappy.

i don't think osby or Richard Delk were starters when they left. i think Reggie also might have been replaced as a Starter The Delks couldn't hit free throws at the end of games.

HoopsDawg
03-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Holman, Carter, & Stapleton all play around 20 minutes a game give a take a couple of minutes.

If Tyson can add 15 pounds this offseason, he could be a big time player. That's a big IF though.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2017, 11:53 AM
If Tyson can add 15 pounds this offseason, he could be a big time player. That's a big IF though.

Yea he & Eli both have really nice potential but it's a #'s game. I don't see both getting enough minutes to make each happy. Going to be interesting if they both stay who ends up getting those minutes.

lamont
03-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Peters will play 25 mins/game next season
Lil Spoon 15-20
Spoon- 25 mins plus
That doesn't leave a lot of time for Carter and Wroght to share time

lamont
03-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Lil Spoon 15-20
Spoon- 25 mins plus

Dawg61
03-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Wright can play the 3 some. He can sub at the 2 and 3.

maroonmania
03-28-2017, 12:53 PM
In basketball you can get 10 players viable minutes. And we are currently doing that on the women's side. Beyond that not much to go around. But so far under Howland, whether due to youth, inexperience, injuries or lack of talent, we really haven't found 5 guys to produce at a winning level much less 10. Hopefully that changes next year.

HSVDawg
03-28-2017, 12:53 PM
i don't think osby or Richard Delk were starters when they left. i think Reggie also might have been replaced as a Starter The Delks couldn't hit free throws at the end of games.

Richard may not have been, but Osby was in line to start the following season when he abruptly left. And Reggie was deifinitely a starter along with Hansbrough.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Lil Spoon 15-20
Spoon- 25 mins plus

Is Wright a 4 year player? Does Q and lil Spoon go to the NBA next year along with possibly Peters?

dawg93
03-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Here's why basketball players transfer: Unlike football, it is not normal that you often redshirt then work your way up to playing and being one of 22 starters who play a lot by your junior year. The AAU mentality has created a sense of entitlement in these players like never before seen. They don't even EXPECT to be here in their junior year. They plan on being in the league by then or moved on to somewhere that can get them to the league. If they aren't starting as frosh and sophs, it isn't their talent in their minds...it's the system, the coach, the teammates, etc. (see Malik Newman).

This is why you see the level of play in college basketball dip down so far over the past decade or so. It is also why the mid-majors (Butler, Xavier, etc.) can consistently compete with the big boys. Most of the time they aren't signing players with the same expectations. There is a lot to be said for playing together for 3-4 years in the same system. You can be competitive against more talented teams with a bunch of great young players.

Did you see Ball play the other night? No passion...no heart. Had one eye on the draft already. Look, I'm all for signing as many 4-5 stars as we can, but thinking we can keep all of them happy and on campus is a pipe dream. That's why you must sign them each and every year...because some will leave no matter what you do. Too many people around them telling them there is a better situation out there.

Johnson85
03-28-2017, 12:58 PM
In basketball you can get 10 players viable minutes. And we are currently doing that on the women's side. Beyond that not much to go around. But so far under Howland, whether due to youth, inexperience, injuries or lack of talent, we really haven't found 5 guys to produce at a winning level much less 10. Hopefully that changes next year.

You can, but you're not often going to have a ten man rotation and everybody be happy with minutes. 9 & 10 need to be younger players looking forward to more minutes the next year, or you need really good chemistry guys at 9 & 10, or you just need crazy good chemistry over all if you are doing something like a 60/40 split on minutes between everybody rather than the more traditional 7/8 man rotation with 3/2 guys getting small minutes unless their is foul trouble.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Here's why basketball players transfer: Unlike football, it is not normal that you often redshirt then work your way up to playing and being one of 22 starters who play a lot by your junior year. The AAU mentality has created a sense of entitlement in these players like never before seen. They don't even EXPECT to be here in their junior year. They plan on being in the league by then or moved on to somewhere that can get them to the league. If they aren't starting as frosh and sophs, it isn't their talent in their minds...it's the system, the coach, the teammates, etc. (see Malik Newman).

This is why you see the level of play in college basketball dip down so far over the past decade or so. It is also why the mid-majors (Butler, Xavier, etc.) can consistently compete with the big boys. Most of the time they aren't signing players with the same expectations. There is a lot to be said for playing together for 3-4 years in the same system. You can be competitive against more talented teams with a bunch of great young players.

Did you see Ball play the other night? No passion...no heart. Had one eye on the draft already. Look, I'm all for signing as many 4-5 stars as we can, but thinking we can keep all of them happy and on campus is a pipe dream. That's why you must sign them each and every year...because some will leave no matter what you do. Too many people around them telling them there is a better situation out there.

This is where I wish basketball was similar to baseball. Either go straight out of high school or go to college for 3 years. It would make the players coming out of college a lot better and get rid of the players with 1 foot out the door before they hit campus. It would take a little while of high rated players ending up in the D League and not getting "paid" but eventually they would start going to college.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2017, 01:06 PM
You can, but you're not often going to have a ten man rotation and everybody be happy with minutes. 9 & 10 need to be younger players looking forward to more minutes the next year, or you need really good chemistry guys at 9 & 10, or you just need crazy good chemistry over all if you are doing something like a 60/40 split on minutes between everybody rather than the more traditional 7/8 man rotation with 3/2 guys getting small minutes unless their is foul trouble.

I think 8 is probably ideal. 2 guys that can bang down low and a combo guard. You could work 9 in but some minutes are getting thin there. If you had 10 then you could go 40 minutes of Hell similar to Ark back in the day.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2017, 01:08 PM
Lil Spoon 15-20
Spoon- 25 mins plus

I think its Lamar a 28-30min guy
Nick 20-25
Q 30 min

Howland loves to have 2 PG's on the court together & Lamar & Nick games compliment each others better than IJ & Lamar. Your right Tyson & Eli are fighting each other for minutes.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2017, 01:10 PM

The issue is he's still probably the 3rd guy whether he's at the 2 or 3. Q & Tyson at the 2 & Xay & Mario at the 3. That's not a knock on Eli at all because I think Eli is a very good player but these are the problems you face when you recruit at a level where there are more players than minutes available.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2017, 01:11 PM
When is Q supposed to be back? Hopefully he is ready by SEC play at least.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-28-2017, 01:13 PM
When is Q supposed to be back? Hopefully he is ready by SEC play at least.

As of right now he's not expected to miss any time during the season.

lamont
03-28-2017, 01:14 PM

Unlikely with Keg and X-man playing there

lamont
03-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Is Wright a 4 year player? Does Q and lil Spoon go to the NBA next year along with possibly Peters?

Yes Wright is and we don't have anybody good enough to go to the NBA after next season.

Tbonewannabe
03-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Yes Wright is and we don't have anybody good enough to go to the NBA after next season.

If Howland hangs onto everyone for the next 2 years while adding these high level recruits then things are looking up. Looking at the Final Four this year, team chemistry is a huge advantage if you can get it.

maroonmania
03-28-2017, 04:25 PM

Agreed, when I say viable minutes I mean that many players can play a significant role and be an integral part of the team's success. That certainly doesn't mean that each of those 10 players will be happy with the actual number of minutes they are on the floor. That's actually one big difference in men's and women's college teams. Its a different deal with the women because they much more buy into the "what's best for the team" concept than the men do and don't have getting to the WNBA always being foremost on their minds. With the men, it seems that most would rather be showcased playing for a loser to up their NBA stock than just filling a role on a team that's a winner. Could you imagine the sour attitudes from the guys if all of the starters got benched like Schafer did with our girls?

MarketingBully
03-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Based on Peters Twitter account, I don't think he is going anywhere which is really good news.

msbulldog
03-28-2017, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=dawg93;725372]Here's why basketball players transfer: Unlike football, it is not normal that you often redshirt then work your way up to playing and being one of 22 starters who play a lot by your junior year. The AAU mentality has created a sense of entitlement in these players like never before seen. They don't even EXPECT to be here in their junior year. They plan on being in the league by then or moved on to somewhere that can get them to the league. If they aren't starting as frosh and sophs, it isn't their talent in their minds...it's the system, the coach, the teammates, etc. (see Malik Newman).

Excellent Post.
Did you see Ball play the other night? No passion...no heart. Had one eye on the draft already. Look, I'm all for signing as many 4-5 stars as we can, but thinking we can keep all of them happy and on campus is a pipe dream. That's why you must sign them each and every year...because some will leave no matter what you do. Too many people around them telling them there is a better situation out there.[/