PDA

View Full Version : NCAA tourney

msstate7
03-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Is falling in love with the 3-point shot hurting the quality of college basketball? You saw us jack 3s all year and another NCAA tourney 1-point game is determined by the losing team (Michigan) shooting a 3. That's bad basketball IMO

parabrave
03-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Michigan out=I'm out. Dude should've drove for the basket instead of popping off that three. But hey MS7 on the brighter side braves win in the bot of the 9th. Adam Walker looks like a good pickup,

HoopsDawg
03-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Too many timeouts and they last too long. No flow.

msstate7
03-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Michigan out=I'm out. Dude should've drove for the basket instead of popping off that three. But hey MS7 on the brighter side braves win in the bot of the 9th. Adam Walker looks like a good pickup,
I was watching that too... PIP had that, both tourney games, and OM-Kentucky. Heck of pitching performance by braves tonight

msstate7
03-23-2017, 08:16 PM

I agree

BeardoMSU
03-23-2017, 11:51 PM
That Xavier-Zona game was fun.

Commercecomet24
03-23-2017, 11:52 PM

Exactly!

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 12:29 PM
my idea of a perfect team make up is this...

A 3 pt automatic if open like Blair S as a guard.
An all around scoring guard like Vivians inside, outs, layups,
A PG who manages the game well, passes dribbles well, hits the 3, layups etc corner foul line jump shots.

The most important
Center or Forward think Candace Parker or Rebecca Lobo scoring machine inside who works well with the other post if double teamed or can make the down low pass to the other post, where both posts are in sync
They work together
The other post need be consistent with the under the rim shot and a great defender and rebounder . Both need to hit the corner foul line jump shot

If this shows up its hard to beat

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Our men don't even have an automatic 3 pt shooter
Have no posts working together
And so on

I call our men's basketball - disarray

It's not organized

Johnson85
03-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Is falling in love with the 3-point shot hurting the quality of college basketball? You saw us jack 3s all year and another NCAA tourney 1-point game is determined by the losing team (Michigan) shooting a 3. That's bad basketball IMO

It has changed the game for sure as people have figured out how to properly value it. But it's hard to say whether it's for the better, neutral, or worse, when the game is screwed up for so many other reasons. It seems like it would help create a lot of ball movement and inside out basketball, which should be good. But the foul system is so screwed up you end up with a lot of driving to get bailed out by the referee and/or just passing the ball around lazily before chunking a 3.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-24-2017, 12:36 PM

It's not bad basketball. It's just the direction basketball has been going in. People realized that long two pointers are stupid when you can take a step back and get 33% more value for your shot.

I agree in that instance it was probably not the wisest shot. But he still took an open look...so it wasn't all bad.

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 01:07 PM
If you can be a low percentage of 3's on certain days...then you are designing a record of like 8-8. You win if you hit, if not you lose.

Most call this average, I call it subpar. So a process of organization is needed to win the lost 8 games. Or a different strategy that you begin with a plan perhaps...then if you find you are having a high 3 percentage day. Problem solved.

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Always more value to an easy 2 than a team load of missed 3's and we have no rebounders in position so no put backs etc

Weatherspoon may miss one, next possession herard may try one, carter then misses one and people running lay ups back on us

smootness
03-24-2017, 01:35 PM

It has happened over and over...and over...and over again in the tournament this year. Multiple teams down 1 just waiting until the end of the clock and jacking up a 3. Michigan inbounded it with 9 seconds left on the other half of the court, and the guy didn't even move for at least 2 seconds. And then you had West Virginia, where one guy wasted the last 20 seconds of the game just standing around wasting time, then couldn't even get a shot off. Awful. And that would have been their 3rd 3 of that possession that started with 37 seconds left, when they could have just taken an easy 2 with plenty of time to cut it down further.

smootness
03-24-2017, 01:37 PM
That Xavier-Zona game was fun.

Even that one had a contested 3 while down 2 with time left to get something better.

Teams completely and utterly suck at offense late in games, and it's primarily because of kids trying to be the hero. And coaches allow it. It makes it really hard to watch.

smootness
03-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Our men don't even have an automatic 3 pt shooter
Have no posts working together
And so on

I call our men's basketball - disarray

It's not organized

Carter will be that automatic 3-point shooter. And our posts are really young, and we've got reinforcements coming next year.

Give it time. Be patient.

smootness
03-24-2017, 01:39 PM
It's not bad basketball. It's just the direction basketball has been going in. People realized that long two pointers are stupid when you can take a step back and get 33% more value for your shot.

I agree in that instance it was probably not the wisest shot. But he still took an open look...so it wasn't all bad.

It is bad basketball. The extra value on the 3 does not make up for the decreased percentage when you're down 1 on the last possession. You just need the best look you can get, no matter where it is on the court. Instead, kids just wait and then jack up 3's.

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Carter will be that automatic 3-point shooter. And our posts are really young, and we've got reinforcements coming next year.

Give it time. Be patient.

Blair S was automatic as a freshman, look back at stats
Automatic just is what it is ...that type player

I do believe carter will be that (he has the prettiest shot) if he gets the right pass and set up

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Basketball is about spots, just like Blair from sideline, get to your most productive spot

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 02:19 PM
That Blair continually hits a sideline 3 tells me there is some DESIGN to it. And even as freshman...

smootness
03-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Blair S was automatic as a freshman, look back at stats
Automatic just is what it is ...that type player

I do believe carter will be that (he has the prettiest shot) if he gets the right pass and set up

K...Schaefer was a 29.7% 3-point shooter as a freshman. Carter was at 36.1% this year. Darryl Wilson shot 37.0% as a freshman.

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Why were other players shooting the 3 to win games then?

I_Spy
03-24-2017, 02:48 PM
To clarify - at least Blair knew Vivians on the squad and perhaps Vivians had a higher percentage 3
But if state had a 40 or 50 percentage 3 pt shooter who isn't on the floor end of game - no wonder they last Mate

Or how is state losing with 40 percentage 3 pt shooters

BB30
03-24-2017, 03:03 PM
I really do not understand the way games have been called this year when down only one you don't drive right to the basket and draw the foul. It is almost automatic if you have a guy that can get to the rim.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-24-2017, 03:22 PM
It is bad basketball. The extra value on the 3 does not make up for the decreased percentage when you're down 1 on the last possession. You just need the best look you can get, no matter where it is on the court. Instead, kids just wait and then jack up 3's.

Sure...bad shots are bad basketball but the increase in 3 point overall does not mean bad basketball. Which is what I was taking OP to mean.

msstate7
03-24-2017, 07:49 PM
South Carolina is making the sec proud right now. They're really playing well right now led by thornwell. Thank God, thornwell is gone

smootness
03-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Sure...bad shots are bad basketball but the increase in 3 point overall does not mean bad basketball. Which is what I was taking OP to mean.

I was just talking specifically about end of game scenarios where you're down 1. The extra point doesn't give you any extra value there, so waiting to shoot a 3 is stupid, no matter the look you ultimately get.