PDA

View Full Version : Basketball transfers starting (NOT OURS)

msstate7
03-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Virginia has 3 -- Darius Thompson (guard), marial shayok (guard), and jarred rueter (forward).

Duke -- chase jeter (forward)

I'm sure there are many more, but these are from high profile basketball schools. Should we pursue any?

msbulldog
03-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Virginia has 3 -- Darius Thompson (guard), marial shayok (guard), and jarred rueter (forward).

Duke -- chase jeter (forward)

I'm sure there are many more, but these are from high profile basketball schools. Should we pursue any?

Don't have much room 7, unless we process more people than Strugg.

msstate7
03-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Don't have much room 7, unless we process more people than Strugg.

I don't know a lot about Virginia's, but you make room for a guy like jeter. I doubt we could get jeter though

lamont
03-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Only a legit post player- but I think we are maxed out

Spoon
Peters
Kegler
Holman
Ado

Lil Spoon
Carter
X-Man
Lil Brooks
Herard

Wright
Datcher
Feazell

We's have to cut Wright or Datcher to bring someone in for next season

tcdog70
03-23-2017, 06:53 PM
What about Robert Woodards son. Isn't he a Sr next year

lamont
03-23-2017, 06:58 PM
What about Robert Woodards son. Isn't he a Sr next year

yes- he is a 2018 signee

civildawg
03-23-2017, 07:19 PM
Heck wright was our most consistent player toward the end of the year. No way I would cut him

MarketingBully
03-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Early return say we won't have any transfers. I think we are in great shape for next year

Dawg61
03-23-2017, 07:45 PM
We don't have a trim the fat type player this year right now imo. Wright wasn't close to our 12-13th man by the end of the year and Datcher showed more than any of us expected this year from him. He's got better hands than Herard for damn sure just isn't as big.

msstate7
03-23-2017, 07:54 PM
We don't have a trim the fat type player this year right now imo. Wright wasn't close to our 12-13th man by the end of the year and Datcher showed more than any of us expected this year from him. He's got better hands than Herard for damn sure just isn't as big.

I'd call up chase jeter (5* #15 player in country last season and he's 6'10") and make him tell us no. I wouldn't pursue a transfer unless he's elite

FlytheW3
03-23-2017, 09:00 PM
Would like for use to go after Jeter just based on he played at Duke. I like keeping up and pulling for them.

confucius say
03-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Heck wright was our most consistent player toward the end of the year. No way I would cut him

Had exact same thought

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2017, 09:06 PM
I'd call up chase jeter (5* #15 player in country last season and he's 6'10") and make him tell us no. I wouldn't pursue a transfer unless he's elite

Jeter isn't elite. Jeter in 2yrs at Duke has shown absolutely nothing on a team starved for post play. He's been out of HS for 2yrs time to look at what he's done in college which is absolutely nothing. Just for the record he's headed back to the West Coast.

Intramural All-American
03-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Rumor that we are close to offering one of two kids in the Jackson area for this incoming class. That would mean we are losing someone else. Don't know who for sure, but I've heard it could be someone with a history of narcolepsy. Now, this is not me predicting we lose him because it doesn't make sense for him to go, I'm just passing along what I ve heard. I do know that he and one other were close to leaving at Christmas though.

lamont
03-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Rumor that we are close to offering one of two kids in the Jackson area for this incoming class. That would mean we are losing someone else. Don't know who for sure, but I've heard it could be someone with a history of narcolepsy. Now, this is not me predicting we lose him because it doesn't make sense for him to go, I'm just passing along what I ve heard. I do know that he and one other were close to leaving at Christmas though.

I've actually heard this also but was hoping it was a bad rumor or we would have someone talk some sense into him and things would level out. Still hoping that's the case

state66
03-23-2017, 09:51 PM
That better be a bad rumor. We cannot lose him next year.

msstate7
03-23-2017, 09:54 PM

Who are the Jackson kids?

msstate7
03-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Jeter isn't elite. Jeter in 2yrs at Duke has shown absolutely nothing on a team starved for post play. He's been out of HS for 2yrs time to look at what he's done in college which is absolutely nothing. Just for the record he's headed back to the West Coast.

For some reason, I thought he was a true freshman this season. Yeah, his performance this year as a sophomore definitely takes the "elite" tag off i gave him

Dawg61
03-23-2017, 10:04 PM
Hope Peters stays he has a ton of upside

msstate7
03-23-2017, 10:06 PM
Early in the years there were rumors MK wasn't happy. Any truth to that and if so, has it changed?

msstate7
03-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Speaking of transfers... it really sucks that Newman is about to get a ring

lamont
03-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Speaking of transfers... it really sucks that Newman is about to get a ring

All he has been is a practice dummy

Kansas may win it- but along way to go. Newman has had zero to do with it

Intramural All-American
03-23-2017, 10:22 PM
One is a kid from MRA, Devin Gillmore, but I am unsure of the other. I was led to believe that one of the two would be receiving a scholarship offer in the coming days.

msstate7
03-23-2017, 10:27 PM
One is a kid from MRA, Devin Gillmore, but I am unsure of the other. I was led to believe that one of the two would be receiving a scholarship offer in the coming days.

http://247sports.com/Player/Devin-Gilmore-93715

Anyone know much about devin? His profile certainly doesn't look like the normal howland recruit

Intramural All-American
03-23-2017, 10:35 PM
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/L9usOHT92UeOFdeGX54kow/video--mississippis-devin-gilmore-hands-playoff-poster-dunk.htm

This is all I've got of him. Honestly don't know anything about his game. Again, I hope that my info is incorrect and Strugg is the only one we lose.

This play is sick, though.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-23-2017, 10:38 PM
I don't see anyway Gilmore would get more than a preferred walkon offer from us. I could be wrong but I don't see him ever helping us.

Dawg61
03-23-2017, 11:01 PM
Good god that dunk!! Please say we get this kid as a walk-on

louisvilledawg
03-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Who are the Jackson kids?

I'm assuming Devin Gilmore from MRA and Michael Barber from JA

louisvilledawg
03-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Good god that dunk!! Please say we get this kid as a walk-on

https://i.imgflip.com/rmwb.gif

smootness
03-24-2017, 10:35 AM
I'm assuming Devin Gilmore from MRA and Michael Barber from JA

Barber is 2018.

klong-dog
03-24-2017, 12:06 PM
Man it would really suck to lose both LP and MK. Hope it's not true.

Johnson85
03-24-2017, 12:39 PM
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/L9usOHT92UeOFdeGX54kow/video--mississippis-devin-gilmore-hands-playoff-poster-dunk.htm

This is all I've got of him. Honestly don't know anything about his game. Again, I hope that my info is incorrect and Strugg is the only one we lose.

This play is sick, though.

It's a great dunk, but most likely not against even a Division III level athlete.

msstate7
03-24-2017, 01:11 PM

The MK rumors I heard were really early in the season and on a message board. I have zero real insight so don't take that as I said he might transfer

smootness
03-24-2017, 01:11 PM

No one has intimated anything about Kegler. I would be shocked if Peters goes anywhere.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Where is this even coming from?

Johnson85
03-24-2017, 01:42 PM

I don't know about Peters, but there was message board fodder early on that Kegler was unhappy. Nobody that I remember recognizing as having had good inside info in the past. Later in the season there was a little bit of discussion about Kegler becoming more of a leader at practcie, again, not from anybody I remember recognizing as having had good inside info in the past. That seemed to be the last of it until this thread as far as I have seen.

msstate7
03-24-2017, 02:08 PM

I suppose it was me stirring up trouble. I just remember a thread on SPS about Kegler being unhappy... this was very early in the season and I haven't heard anything since. Us potentially offering 2 more in '17 just scared me and I remembered that rumor.

klong-dog
03-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Same here. Remember the talk early on Kegler, nothing since until now. Reason why I said LP was because of the first page, someone saying "rumors it could be someone with narcolepsy" I assumed he was referring to LP.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-24-2017, 03:15 PM

Don't you know? He had 5 stars by his name so he HAS to be GREAT!!*****

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-24-2017, 03:17 PM

I have heard all is well with everyone on the team and they will all be back. It amazes me how rumors get started based only on someone speculating on a message board.

dawg93
03-25-2017, 12:05 AM
There was a small problem with Kegler early on. Omhar Carter was not happy he was playing the 4 so much. Wanted him at the 3 to show his pro potential/skills. Never really became a major issue as he began playing the 3 almost exclusively the second half of the season.

As for Gilmore, he is athletic and that's about it. Can't put it on the floor and has no jumpshot outside of 10 feet. Has not improved the other facets of his game at all since he came to MRA from Picayune in 9th grade. Would be a good walkon due to athleticism but not worth a scholly, even if someone leaves. Just hold it for Class of 2018.

And Michael Barbour from JA, Class of 2018, is highly overrated. We need Woodard from Columbus and Ladarius Marshall (one of Omhar's) from Forest Hill as top in state priorities for Class of 2018.
Barbour doesn't dominate that league and he should be able to do that on size alone.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-25-2017, 08:41 AM
There was a small problem with Kegler early on. Omhar Carter was not happy he was playing the 4 so much. Wanted him at the 3 to show his pro potential/skills. Never really became a major issue as he began playing the 3 almost exclusively the second half of the season.

As for Gilmore, he is athletic and that's about it. Can't put it on the floor and has no jumpshot outside of 10 feet. Has not improved the other facets of his game at all since he came to MRA from Picayune in 9th grade. Would be a good walkon due to athleticism but not worth a scholly, even if someone leaves. Just hold it for Class of 2018.

And Michael Barbour from JA, Class of 2018, is highly overrated. We need Woodard from Columbus and Ladarius Marshall (one of Omhar's) from Forest Hill as top in state priorities for Class of 2018.
Barbour doesn't dominate that league and he should be able to do that on size alone.

I agree with everything you said except my top priorities for next year would be Woodard & Javien Fleming from Canton.

dawg93
03-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Haven't seen Fleming, but I am good friends with the girls ' coach there and her husband, who is a huge MSU supporter and former hoops walkon. I know Marshall is about 6'6", can stretch the floor, and can jump out of the gym. Also, he has improved his skill level each year, which is a good sign. Couldn't shoot threes as a soph but was very consistent out there as a junior. Also, he is Omhar's, so we have the in on him. As long as we take care of Omhar, he will take care of us. And he will ALWAYS have players. It's what he does.

HSVDawg
03-25-2017, 09:51 AM

I have no idea and admittedly have no inside info. It seems like we deal with this every year though, unfortunately. Last year it was "no way Malik transfers". Then before that, there was no way we were losing Jalen Steele, Rodney Hood, Phil Turner, that Polish kid who's name escapes me, the Delk twins, Hansbrough, Osby, etc. All of those guys were starters or in line to be starters or key role players. It more or less seems like part of college basketball these days. Transfer recruting is almost as important as actual HS / JUCO recruiting.

msstate7
03-25-2017, 10:00 AM
I have no idea and admittedly have no inside info. It seems like we deal with this every year though, unfortunately. Last year it was "no way Malik transfers". Then before that, there was no way we were losing Jalen Steele, Rodney Hood, Phil Turner, that Polish kid who's name escapes me, the Delk twins, Hansbrough, Osby, etc. All of those guys were starters or in line to be starters or key role players. It more or less seems like part of college basketball these days. Transfer recruting is almost as important as actual HS / JUCO recruiting.

I don't really see the big deal in discussing anyway... if a guy is gonna transfer, he's gonna do it whether we talk about it here or not and vice versa. It's almost like like don't mention a transfer 5 times or it'll happen like calling on Candyman haha

tcdog70
03-25-2017, 10:39 AM
Transfers work both ways thanks Shane Power and LRob

smootness
03-25-2017, 10:50 AM
I don't really see the big deal in discussing anyway... if a guy is gonna transfer, he's gonna do it whether we talk about it here or not and vice versa. It's almost like say like don't mention a transfer 5 times or it'll happen like calling on Candyman haha

For me, it's not because I think talking about it makes it more likely to happen. I just think freaking out over mostly baseless rumors is counterproductive and causes people to overreact.

Intramural All-American
03-25-2017, 10:57 AM
Transfers work both ways thanks Shane Power and LRob

I think its fair to say that our transfers out have vastly outweighed our transfers in. Who else have we had besides those two? Obviously they were huge, but it hasn't been anywhere near equivalent.

Speaking of transfers, did any of yall realize that Coleby from Ole Miss transferred to Kansas, also? I was surprised to see him play the other night, because I definitely didn't think he was Kansas-caliber while at Ole Miss.

tcdog70
03-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Hood, Osby and Hansboro were the only ones that really hurt Us. I would swap them anyday for LRob and Shane. The Delks no big whoop, they sucked in the clutch and weren't that good after they left. I forgot about Moultre he was a good in tran. Also Chucky Evans was a great transfer from Old Dominian

Intramural All-American
03-25-2017, 11:59 PM
Hood, Osby and Hansboro were the only ones that really hurt Us. I would swap them anyday for LRob and Shane. The Delks no big whoop, they sucked in the clutch and weren't that good after they left. I forgot about Moultre he was a good in tran. Also Chucky Evans was a great transfer from Old Dominian

Huh? Roberts was great, but Power was just a good piece. Hood was a lottery pick, Hansbrough was Big East player of the year, and Osby was Big 12 player of the year. The Delks werent fantastic, but it hurt losing them, Reggie more than Richard. Phil Turner hurt, and he was whatever Delta States league player of the year. Rimmer, Davis, Black, Fallou, applewhite, Riek and Goodridge were non-issues. Moultrie was good for sure, but we wasted him.