PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Cyr

state66
03-23-2017, 12:17 PM
@WillSammon: Cannizaro confirms to reporters in Starkville that Ryan Cyr is no longer on the team.

Well theres that.

bulldogcountry1
03-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Ugh. He wasn't performing well, but jeez.

HereComesTheSpiral
03-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Is Marrero gone too and it just isn't confirmed and how was he the claimed cancer?

msstate7
03-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Ugh. He wasn't performing well, but jeez.

Yep. Had a 1.04 ERA last season. Hate to lose him, but must have been his decision by not following rules

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Canny will have to clean house before we can turn this around. It's a damn miracle we won last season with some of these guys

msstate7
03-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Canny will have to clean house before we can turn this around. It's a damn miracle we won last season with some of these guys

What are they doing?

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2017, 12:27 PM
What are they doing?

Letting just say that winning solves & covers up other issues.

confucius say
03-23-2017, 12:32 PM
What did cyr do?

mstatefan91
03-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Mangum back for Friday.

David H Murray‏*
@DawgsBiteMag
Follow
Cannizaro said Jake Mangum is back in routine, and will be leading off the order Friday against Tennessee

Leeshouldveflanked
03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Yep. Had a 1.04 ERA last season. Hate to lose him, but must have been his decision by not following rules

I seen firsthand a little "tiff" between Cyr and an assistant coach during a high school camp this spring that led me to believe his time here may be short lived....

bulldogcountry1
03-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Letting just say that winning solves & covers up other issues.

Hard to believe Cohen went from a guy who would pull a player off the field in the middle of an inning for screwing up to looking the other way with discipline.

MadDawg
03-23-2017, 12:40 PM
https://s10.postimg.org/lx11g8wzd/Go_Pde_Qa.jpg

Quick! Someone grab a fire extinguisher before this gets out of hand!

MafiaDawg
03-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Will someone please just say what the hell these players are doing to get kicked off and suspended? It's a message board. Spill it.

Commercecomet24
03-23-2017, 12:58 PM
I know one thing Mangums daddy lit him up for getting in this little bit of trouble.

Eric Nies Grind Time
03-23-2017, 12:59 PM
How long until open tryouts? I haven't been practicing my wiffle ball knuckleball for nothing.

lamont
03-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Will someone please just say what the hell these players are doing to get kicked off and suspended? It's a message board. Spill it.

Same thing athletes always do:

Miss class or workouts
Party too much
Miss curfew
Disrespectful to Coaches

It's pretty much always one of the 4

Commercecomet24
03-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Miss class or workouts
Party too much
Miss curfew
Disrespectful to Coaches

Yep since the beginning of time.

HoopsDawg
03-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Miss class or workouts
Party too much
Miss curfew
Disrespectful to Coaches

Baseball players used to be the biggest partiers on campus. I have no issue with that. I have no issue with missing class as long as your grades are in order. Everything else is an issue.

BrunswickDawg
03-23-2017, 01:23 PM

Miss class or workouts
Party too much
Miss curfew
Disrespectful to Coaches

I had couple of friends on the team when I was on campus in the early 90s. In 4 years the only place I ever saw them were at the Dude or the Landing. Never on campus.

Mjoelner34
03-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Baseball players used to be the biggest partiers on campus. I have no issue with that. I have no issue with missing class as long as your grades are in order. Everything else is an issue.

I agree about the class skipping if your grades are in order but at that same time, if you're going to be a partier, you better be knocking the cover off the ball or have a sub 3.00 ERA. I know for a fact that during the Polk II years we had guys out to 4am getting hammered at parties the night before we were playing the LSU's of the world in a 1pm game in 95 degree heat. Most of these guys were also hitting between .220 and .250.

MaroonFlounder
03-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Cyr wasnt pitching worth a shit anyway.

mstatefan91
03-23-2017, 01:37 PM

Can't do this anymore. They have people check to make sure players are attending class. Miss a certain number and there are repercussions. Doesn't matter if you have a 4.0

HoopsDawg
03-23-2017, 01:38 PM
I had couple of friends on the team when I was on campus in the early 90s. In 4 years the only place I ever saw them were at the Dude or the Landing. Never on campus.

or Rick's Caf? Americano.

HoopsDawg
03-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Can't do this anymore. They have people check to make sure players are attending class. Miss a certain number and there are repercussions. Doesn't matter if you have a 4.0

Yeah, I just disagree with that rule. But if that's the way Canny wants to go, you have to follow it.

Bodaski
03-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Part of my responsibilities when I was a GA under JWS was checking classes to make sure the players were there. Every prof had a phone # that called a phone in the football office if a player left after we checked. They soon just gave up instead of having to get up at 5:00 am and meet Greg Tiner, the strength coach back then.

The Federalist Engineer
03-23-2017, 02:10 PM
With TJ's and now Cyr, the 2015 pitcher recruit class is basically Pilkington and a mushroom cloud...and 2014 pitcher recruiting was a mushroom cloud too

MafiaDawg
03-23-2017, 02:18 PM
The program bottoming out again is unacceptable. Cohen should be ashamed and embarrassed. We're going to finish last place 2 out of 3 years.

bulldogcountry1
03-23-2017, 02:29 PM
How much of this is Cohen backing off on discipline last year or just the effects of having a young new coach coming in with some different rules?

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
How much of this is Cohen backing off on discipline last year or just the effects of having a young new coach coming in with some different rules?

Canny has noting to do with this. He was handed a turd with some bad kids.

AusTexDawg
03-23-2017, 02:41 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/warner/eastboundlg3.jpg

MadDawg
03-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Canny has noting to do with this. He was handed a turd with some bad kids.

Then we made a bad hire at AD. And it pisses me off to say that.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Then we made a bad hire at AD. And it pisses me off to say that.

Your over thinking this. We lost a ton of leadership off last year's team that kept the bad batch in check.

However, while I do think Cohen is extremely intelligent, I do question his judgement at times. Sometimes geniuses have terrible judgement and those people are especially dangerous because they can sell and get people on board with poor decisions.

HaggardDawg
03-23-2017, 03:50 PM
The wife and I sat beside the baseball team at the UK basketball game. The player sitting beside me was so sprawled out with his prickly shaved arm rubbing up on me. I asked him if he'd like to just sit in my lap to which he got snarky and walked off. Cannys family and kids were right in front of us and these guys were well within earshot cussing and running their mouths the whole game. Disrespectful in my opinion and I left that game believing the team was a bunch of turds. They walked around the Hump strutting like a bunch of peacocks.

Todd4State
03-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Your over thinking this. We lost a ton of leadership off last year's team that kept the bad batch in check.

However, while I do think Cohen is extremely intelligent, I do question his judgement at times. Sometimes geniuses have terrible judgement and those people are especially dangerous because they can sell and get people on board with poor decisions.

What about Mingione? How much of this is on him?

Mimi's Babies
03-23-2017, 04:03 PM

There was bad blood running through the baseball program at the end of last year. There was TENSIONS within the coaches that I am surprised did NOT blow up.

Watching from the bleachers became quite FUNNY..... BUT to see Cohen stand in the back corner of the dugout, with his shades on, in a COAT zipped up and it 90+ degrees in the SHADE..... and NO ONE AROUND COHEN..... YOU tell me what the devil was going on...... Cohen should have NEVER been hired as AD... My thoughts and several more will agree...... FYI... We do NOT need a new stadium -- we need scholarships.....

AusTexDawg
03-23-2017, 04:11 PM
FYI... We do NOT need a new stadium -- we need scholarships.....

Not going to debate that we need scholarships (more would be great), but the Dude is really rundown compared to many other ballparks at major schools. If you want to argue that we don't need the Taj Mahal of college baseball, that might be an interesting discussion, but we've fallen way behind our peers wrt the ballpark - much more than a coat of paint will fix.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2017, 04:12 PM

Tough to say. Cohen's biggest shortcoming as a coach was his inability to build the right culture. That's why his teams were so different one year to the next. The culture he built was more about out smarting people than hard work and excelling in the little things.

When you look at the top programs year in and year out, the players change but the caliber of play remains virtually the same. LSU is the same team every year.

Canny will recruit good players but his main task is building a quality sustainable culture that makes MSU a great place to play baseball. Sure, all MSU players love our crowds, he LFL, etc, but that's not what makes a program great. That's not what makes players happy day in and day out. Players want to know they are getting better.

As much as we complain about Mullen, the very best thing he's done at MSU is build a sustainable culture that our players love to play in. It's why Mullen has had very few issues like this and former players keep close ties to the program. This is Canny's task. Build the culture and wins will follow.

Mimi's Babies
03-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Not going to debate that we need scholarships (more would be great), but the Dude is really rundown compared to many other ballparks at major schools. If you want to argue that we don't need the Taj Mahal of college baseball, that might be an interesting discussion, but we've fallen way behind our peers wrt the ballpark - much more than a coat of paint will fix.

Same seats for nearly 40 years...... Same restrooms for nearly 40 years.... One of the few Ole Timers left....
My children, grands and great grands are enjoying the seats for years to come.... and leave the Ole Timers seats where the hell they are.....

FIX what needs to be fixed BUT no sky boxes, leave LF where it is and do not change it.....
Put the other money into an account and give scholarships from the INTEREST on the money..... MSU waste to much MONEY.... and many of it is in SALARIES.....

AusTexDawg
03-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Tough to say. Cohen's biggest shortcoming as a coach was his inability to build the right culture. That's why his teams were so different one year to the next. The culture he built was more about out smarting people than hard work and excelling in the little things.

When you look at the top programs year in and year out, the players change but the caliber of play remains virtually the same. LSU is the same team every year...

^ Good opinion about root causes of the program's inconsistency.

basedog
03-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Got a big Lsu buddy who keeps up with SEC baseball. He told me a while back that Canny is very strict, demands players full attention, will get on their ass. He was hurt when we signed Canny, he thinks w/o Canny Manieria (however it's spelled) would have been gone. Said Canny was the recruiter and is very aggressive with stealing bases.

As we all know and see, I think my buddy has been right on the money about stealing bases and players paying attention. Now let's hope he recruits like he did at Lsu.

Mimi's Babies
03-23-2017, 04:24 PM
Got a big Lsu buddy who keeps up with SEC baseball. He told me a while back that Canny is very strict, demands players full attention, will get on their ass. He was hurt when we signed Canny, he thinks w/o Canny Manieria (however it's spelled) would have been gone. Said Canny was the recruiter and is very aggressive with stealing bases.

As we all know and see, I think my buddy has been right on the money about stealing bases and players paying attention. Now let's hope he recruits like he did at Lsu.

Your buddy is CORRECT....

One MUST REMEMBER: IF our FOOTBALL Players had not been going to class and PASSING their classes.... MSU would have been the one SITTING on the couch watching someone else "UP THE ROAD" play in a bowl game.... just saying.....

Going to Class is NOT an OPTION for any sport. We are PAYING for these students scholarships/education.

Tbonewannabe
03-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Same seats for nearly 40 years...... Same restrooms for nearly 40 years.... One of the few Ole Timers left....
My children, grands and great grands are enjoying the seats for years to come.... and leave the Ole Timers seats where the hell they are.....

FIX what needs to be fixed BUT no sky boxes, leave LF where it is and do not change it.....
Put the other money into an account and give scholarships from the INTEREST on the money..... MSU waste to much MONEY.... and many of it is in SALARIES.....

You do realize we can't give scholarships to baseball players only. The Dude is very much behind almost every other stadium in the SEC. We have to upgrade or we will be left behind everyone else. I am sure MSU does waste money just like every other government entity but not building the new ballpark isn't the problem. Don't get mad just because your great grandchildren can't piggyback off of your bulldog club points.

Zildjan
03-23-2017, 05:10 PM
About Cohen in year one. Shit runs in cycles. Will say the same thing about this dude several years from now. Round and round.

Mimi's Babies
03-23-2017, 05:31 PM
You do realize we can't give scholarships to baseball players only. The Dude is very much behind almost every other stadium in the SEC. We have to upgrade or we will be left behind everyone else. I am sure MSU does waste money just like every other government entity but not building the new ballpark isn't the problem. Don't get mad just because your great grandchildren can't piggyback off of your bulldog club points.

bulldog club points..... wrong..... been a done deal...... Leave the stadium without the 'out extras' where this can be paid for....... money has been pulled....

RocketDawg
03-23-2017, 05:55 PM

I always thought that baseball players were better students than most other athletes, or at least athletes in the "Big 3" sports. Is that not the case?

lamont
03-23-2017, 06:14 PM
I always thought that baseball players were better students than most other athletes, or at least athletes in the "Big 3" sports. Is that not the case?

For the most part yes- but we had a couple of players miss seasons in the 80's and 90's being academically ineligible

msbulldog
03-23-2017, 06:32 PM

I ran the Landing in the 70's (then the Triangle Club), BB players were out there after every home game. They were winning and they got some serious discounts.

msbulldog
03-23-2017, 06:58 PM

When you look at the top programs year in and year out, the players change but the caliber of play remains virtually the same. LSU is the same team every year.

Canny will recruit good players but his main task is building a quality sustainable culture that makes MSU a great place to play baseball. Sure, all MSU players love our crowds, he LFL, etc, but that's not what makes a program great. That's not what makes players happy day in and day out. Players want to know they are getting better.

As much as we complain about Mullen, the very best thing he's done at MSU is build a sustainable culture that our players love to play in. It's why Mullen has had very few issues like this and former players keep close ties to the program. This is Canny's task. Build the culture and wins will follow.

Great insight Gun! Rep Given.

lamont
03-23-2017, 07:02 PM
yeah Shotgun nailed it.

Cann is cleaning up some issues the team had. What has really made it all come to the forefront tho is the pitching injuries. Extreme injuries plus issue clean-up leads to an ugly 2017. Our new HC is a tenacious recruiter- and will get us back on the right track quickly

maroonmania
03-23-2017, 07:24 PM
There was bad blood running through the baseball program at the end of last year. There was TENSIONS within the coaches that I am surprised did NOT blow up.

Watching from the bleachers became quite FUNNY..... BUT to see Cohen stand in the back corner of the dugout, with his shades on, in a COAT zipped up and it 90+ degrees in the SHADE..... and NO ONE AROUND COHEN..... YOU tell me what the devil was going on...... Cohen should have NEVER been hired as AD... My thoughts and several more will agree...... FYI... We do NOT need a new stadium -- we need scholarships.....

I think you have it all wrong. First, an AD can do very little about our disadvantage on scholarships. Unless Mississippi wants to vote in a lottery and offer state wide scholarships to MS students then not much is changing on that front. In fact, it was Cohen that made us much more competitive by devising ways to get more baseball players on non-athletic scholarships rather than just sit around bitching about the situation like Ron Polk did the last half of his MSU career. What an AD CAN do is help provide the baseball program everything within the school's power to help it succeed which includes funding top notch facilities.

blacklistedbully
03-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Your buddy is CORRECT....

One MUST REMEMBER: IF our FOOTBALL Players had not been going to class and PASSING their classes.... MSU would have been the one SITTING on the couch watching someone else "UP THE ROAD" play in a bowl game.... just saying.....

Going to Class is NOT an OPTION for any sport. We are PAYING for these students scholarships/education.

UNM was not going bowling. They were nowhere close to being next-in-line.

ShotgunDawg
03-23-2017, 07:46 PM
yeah Shotgun nailed it.

Cann is cleaning up some issues the team had. What has really made it all come to the forefront tho is the pitching injuries. Extreme injuries plus issue clean-up leads to an ugly 2017. Our new HC is a tenacious recruiter- and will get us back on the right track quickly

This. Canny is probably the best evaluator we've had on staff and he has an infectious personality. For that and other reasons, he'll get good players.

Tbonewannabe
03-23-2017, 07:48 PM
bulldog club points..... wrong..... been a done deal...... Leave the stadium without the 'out extras' where this can be paid for....... money has been pulled....

I could definitely be wrong but it sounds like you would prefer we keep the worst stadium in the SEC so you don't lose your "lifetime" seats. Now I agree that it is shitty that you made that contribution at the time and now lifetime means 30 years or however long it has been. I would say that most of the people have gotten their money's worth. Thanks for your support of our baseball team.

maroonmania
03-23-2017, 07:54 PM
I could definitely be wrong but it sounds like you would prefer we keep the worst stadium in the SEC so you don't lose your "lifetime" seats. Now I agree that it is shitty that you made that contribution at the time and now lifetime means 30 years or however long it has been. I would say that most of the people have gotten their money's worth. Thanks for your support of our baseball team.

Yep, some would prefer keeping a good seat at a low cost to having a top level program.

Todd4State
03-23-2017, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the insight. I think you have a great point about Cohen wanting to outsmart everyone- sidearm pitchers, bunting, piggy backing pitchers, etc.

I agree 100% about having to build a sustainable culture. My uncle played on some Kansas City Royals teams that won the AL West in 1976 and 1977 and then he was on the Cardinals team in 1981 that had the best record in the NL East and the 1982 team that won the World Series. According to him, the number one reason why those teams won and some of the bad teams he was on didn't was because of the chemistry and culture that the good teams had. I imagine that it's the same for college too or any other baseball team or program.

You are right about players wanting to know that they are getting better too- and I agree with you that the crowds, LFL, support and eventually the stadium will all be nice things and will help us get good players getting to MLB is ultimately what all MSU players want to do.

I'm pretty excited about what Cann will possibly do and see what kinds of players he recruits and also what he can do with a full fall and his own coaching staff.

Todd4State
03-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Yep, some would prefer keeping a good seat at a low cost to having a top level program.

Well, they want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to keep their seats, but they want to win. But to keep the seats they have to be against something that will help us get better players which will make it even easier to win.

WSOPdawg
03-23-2017, 09:33 PM

Miss class or workouts
Party too much
Miss curfew
Disrespectful to Coaches

Now sometimes it's use of a loaner vehicle for months at a time on multiple occasions (3 or 4 times EVEN AFTER BEING CAUGHT THE 1ST TIME with the NCAA having already flagged the violation). And some other times it's spice-related.

Bothrops
03-24-2017, 01:01 AM
I absolutely do not understand the thinking of some of our fans. The new stadium is imperative, because it will give MSU good publicity and program recognition. That is something that's constantly needed around these parts.

HereComesTheSpiral
03-24-2017, 07:55 AM
I absolutely do not understand the thinking of some of our fans. The new stadium is imperative, because it will give MSU good publicity and program recognition. That is something that's constantly needed around these parts.

Some people would complain if their job was drinking beer and screwing prostitutes everyday.

BrunswickDawg
03-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Some people would complain if their job was drinking beer and screwing prostitutes everyday.
Well, personally, it would depend on if the pros were Vegas quality or truck stop quality - but maybe that's just me....

Tbonewannabe
03-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Well, personally, it would depend on if the pros were Vegas quality or truck stop quality - but maybe that's just me....

Apparently some people are prejudice against snaggle tooth hoes.

smootness
03-24-2017, 08:53 AM
I don't really understand how anyone can be against the new stadium, but regardless, it is happening. Trying to stop it from happening at this point is only going to make you miserable.

Cooterpoot
03-24-2017, 09:14 AM
I don't really understand how anyone can be against the new stadium, but regardless, it is happening. Trying to stop it from happening at this point is only going to make you miserable.

No one is trying to stop the project. They're just trying to save the LFL portion. It looks like they're close to working that out with the modifications they're allowing but some still won't be happy.

Cooterpoot
03-24-2017, 09:19 AM

You can tie it to other things though. Go look at the number of athletes at USM and OM that get a Lucky Day scholarship. It can be tied to a certain major etc. etc.
It's not hard to figure out.

smootness
03-24-2017, 09:22 AM
No one is trying to stop the project. They're just trying to save the LFL portion. It looks like they're close to working that out with the modifications they're allowing but some still won't be happy.

Well, some (as seen in this thread) are clearly upset about any changes, not just to the LFL. And I guess that's my point. Some people are furious at even the thought of making any changes, so even the slightest change will cause an uproar. It is changing, so it's best to come to grips with that now.

HSVDawg
03-24-2017, 09:26 AM

A new stadium that completely overhauls the current layout is sorely needed for too many reasons to name in one post, although they have all been named and argued about multiple times over the past 3-4 years.

We also need scholarships, too. But, unlike with the stadium, there is limited control over that aspect. We can't just start a scholarship fund for baseball players only because that is against NCAA rules. The end result is we have to give probably 10-15 scholarships to regular students (or students that play other non-revenue sports) for every one that we give to a baseball player for it to be legitmate in the eyes of the NCAA. We probably need 10-12 more scholarships for the baseball team to match what schools like Vandy are doing. So, you then have 100-150 additional scholarships that don't go to baseball. It will be spending a dollar to get a dime's worth of benefit. Not saying we wouldn't or couldn't do it, but it's not an easy problem to solve.

But at the end of the day, why can't we shoot for a new stadium AND more scholarships?

HoopsDawg
03-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Well, some (as seen in this thread) are clearly upset about any changes, not just to the LFL. And I guess that's my point. Some people are furious at even the thought of making any changes, so even the slightest change will cause an uproar. It is changing, so it's best to come to grips with that now.

1 anonymous message board poster.

smootness
03-24-2017, 09:35 AM
1 anonymous message board poster.

True. But from past discussions, and the % of fans who actually post on a message board, that number is guaranteed to be quite a bit higher. I know it's not a majority, though.

smootness
03-24-2017, 09:39 AM
The bottom line is that the baseball scholarship issue is one that the NCAA has to do something about. They need to do two things: increase the # of athletic scholarships available for baseball (capping it at 11.7 is asinine, you can still ensure an equivalent # of scholarships are given to girls even if you increase it), and treat it like football where any scholarship money a player receives counts against the cap. It's a supremely easy fix, and I have no idea why literally nothing has been done about it.

Cooterpoot
03-24-2017, 10:09 AM

Some people are dumbasses.

smootness
03-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Some people are dumbasses.

Touche.

Jarius
03-24-2017, 10:32 AM
The bottom line is that the baseball scholarship issue is one that the NCAA has to do something about. They need to do two things: increase the # of athletic scholarships available for baseball (capping it at 11.7 is asinine, you can still ensure an equivalent # of scholarships are given to girls even if you increase it), and treat it like football where any scholarship money a player receives counts against the cap. It's a supremely easy fix, and I have no idea why literally nothing has been done about it.

What is the NCAA's reasoning behind giving baseball so few scholarships? As much as I've heard people complain about it I have never once heard the reason for them keeping it where it's at?

Tbonewannabe
03-24-2017, 10:35 AM

It is because the NCAA doesn't actually care about baseball at this time. Football and basketball pay for everything else. There aren't a handful of schools who make money off baseball but the rest actually go in the red. The CWS is getting bigger and better but it still isn't enough to warrant the NCAA actually putting forth effort.

Tbonewannabe
03-24-2017, 10:37 AM
What is the NCAA's reasoning behind giving baseball so few scholarships? As much as I've heard people complain about it I have never once heard the reason for them keeping it where it's at?

baseball is paying for football schollies. What would be fair is an actual sport to sport equality for men and women but women don't play football. Therefore you pretty much have to have a 2 to 1 ratio of women's sports to mens to make up for the 85 schollies given out for football.

AusTexDawg
03-24-2017, 10:55 AM

Per Damani Leech, former NCAA director of basebal (https://d1baseball.com/columns/the-state-of-college-baseball-2015-edition/)l: "[In 2013] ago [the NCAA] did an analysis and the number of programs at 11.7 were small, but there were a lot in that 9-10.7 counters type of range. They weren't quite fully funded," he added. "There are a lot of programs out there still giving out three to four scholarship equivalencies and I know those coaches don't want more aid. With that said, there are athletic directors around the country trying to be more broad based and wanting to throw more resources at programs, so it's an interesting issue and debate." Also, here is another take from 2016 (https://d1baseball.com/columns/fitt-dont-expect-institutional-aid-reform/).

What incentive is there for northern schools or schools outside of the P5 football conferences to decrease parity by allowing schools like LSU, Texas or MSU to have 15 or 20 baseball scholarships when you're only willing or able to offer 4-9 baseball scholarships? Don't get me wrong - I'm all for more scholarships, but they won't happen until more schools can make money in baseball or at least break even.

The Federalist Engineer
03-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Per Damani Leech, former NCAA director of basebal (https://d1baseball.com/columns/the-state-of-college-baseball-2015-edition/)l: "[In 2013] ago [the NCAA] did an analysis and the number of programs at 11.7 were small, but there were a lot in that 9-10.7 counters type of range. They weren't quite fully funded," he added. "There are a lot of programs out there still giving out three to four scholarship equivalencies and I know those coaches don't want more aid. With that said, there are athletic directors around the country trying to be more broad based and wanting to throw more resources at programs, so it's an interesting issue and debate." Also, here is another take from 2016 (https://d1baseball.com/columns/fitt-dont-expect-institutional-aid-reform/).

What incentive is there for northern schools or schools outside of the P5 football conferences to decrease parity by allowing schools like LSU, Texas or MSU to have 15 or 20 baseball scholarships when you're only willing or able to offer 4-9 baseball scholarships? Don't get me wrong - I'm all for more scholarships, but they won't happen until more schools can make money in baseball or at least break even.

If this is the case, this is where the Donald Trump approach of negotiation works best. The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 collectively say "17 you" we are giving 20-30 baseball scholarships starting next week. If the Big-10 wants to provide 80-to-150 scholarships for Hockey, Curling, Cross-Country Ski, and Figure Skating, we don't care. If the NCAA says they won't let the renegades play in Omaha, then you make your own rotating tournament in Atlanta, Dallas, and Los Angeles. AKA, the BCS system of baseball. You just do it, Omaha sucks anyway.

Letting Vassar, Rutgers, and Minnesota-Duluth decide our baseball scholarship policy is like letting Sri Lanka and Belgium dictate terms to the USA on global trade, immigration, Israel, or energy policy.

HSVDawg
03-24-2017, 12:59 PM
If this is the case, this is where the Donald Trump approach of negotiation works best. The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 collectively say "17 you" we are giving 20-30 baseball scholarships starting next week. If the Big-10 wants to provide 80-to-150 scholarships for Hockey, Curling, Cross-Country Ski, and Figure Skating, we don't care. If the NCAA says they won't let the renegades play in Omaha, then you make your own rotating tournament in Atlanta, Dallas, and Los Angeles. AKA, the BCS system of baseball. You just do it, Omaha sucks anyway.

Letting Vassar, Rutgers, and Minnesota-Duluth decide our baseball scholarship policy is like letting Sri Lanka and Belgium dictate terms to the USA on global trade, immigration, Israel, or energy policy.

Well, sports "communism" is the only reason why MSU or OM are relevant on a national scale (via our ties to the SEC), so its hard to be against it too much. But there needs to be some middle ground. No one is preventing those other smaller schools from increasing their scholarship quantities for baseball. Its hard to argue they don't have the money to do it when
they are giving boatloads of academic aid to non-athletes. Shit, with the way tuition has been rising over the past 10 years, it's hard for any school to argue they don't have the money. Especially the Big 10 schools with their billions in federal endowments.

BrunswickDawg
03-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Well, sports "communism" is the only reason why MSU or OM are relevant on a national scale (via our ties to the SEC), so its hard to be against it too much. But there needs to be some middle ground. No one is preventing those other smaller schools from increasing their scholarship quantities for baseball. Its hard to argue they don't have the money to do it when
they are giving boatloads of academic aid to non-athletes. Shit, with the way tuition has been rising over the past 10 years, it's hard for any school to argue they don't have the money. Especially the Big 10 schools with their billions in federal endowments.

They should really exclude football from the scholarship calculations. Recognize the fact that it is a cash cow, and make the schools go 1 for 1 with everything else. Without football, there would be no women's sports at most schools.

HSVDawg
03-24-2017, 01:09 PM
They should really exclude football from the scholarship calculations. Recognize the fact that it is a cash cow, and make the schools go 1 for 1 with everything else. Without football, there would be no women's sports at most schools.

This has come up before, but I think football may already be excluded from the calculation for Title IX. Because there is no way in hell that athletic scholarship numbers are remotely close to equal even now if they are included. Basically they either don't count, or no FBS school in the country is in compliance.

I'd like to see a breakdown for the number of scholarships allowed for each sport (Men's and Women's) that MSU offers, so that we can actually do the math. I know football is 85, Mens and Women's basketball is 13, and baseball is 11.7. I'm not sure on the rest.

The Federalist Engineer
03-24-2017, 01:30 PM
This has come up before, but I think football may already be excluded from the calculation for Title IX. Because there is no way in hell that athletic scholarship numbers are remotely close to equal even now if they are included. Basically they either don't count, or no FBS school in the country is in compliance.

I'd like to see a breakdown for the number of scholarships allowed for each sport (Men's and Women's) that MSU offers, so that we can actually do the math. I know football is 85, Mens and Women's basketball is 13, and baseball is 11.7. I'm not sure on the rest.

Great! start SEC women's beach volleyball team to cancel out the additional baseball scholarships, then sign me up for season tickets to beach volleyball

Mimi's Babies
03-24-2017, 04:55 PM
You can tie it to other things though. Go look at the number of athletes at USM and OM that get a Lucky Day scholarship. It can be tied to a certain major etc. etc.
It's not hard to figure out.

AT one time MSU had MANY on Academic scholarships.... Are the ACT scores that bad? You only need a 28 for a full ride to MSU.... I "THOUGHT" that MSU had someone that worked with the students to help them locate scholarships...... Which helped to reduce the cost......