PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one...

CadaverDawg
03-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Am I the only one a little worried about all of the "Relf Coast Offense", "more of a run based team", "more of what we saw against Ole Miss" talk? Seems like every time we THINK Mullen's going to do one thing based on our strengths, he does something surprisingly different.

In other words, everything points to us being a run heavy offense featuring Fitz and A-Train, with a lot of 2 TE sets and Gray as our leading WR....so I'm worried I'm going to get my hopes up for that, only to see us come out slinging it around and having Mixon getting damn near as many carries as A-Train, and a lot of short drives where we're left scratching our heads as to why we passed all 3 downs or threw it on 2nd and 3rd and 2, or something like that. Anybody else worried that with all signs pointing to run, Mullen will want to prove we can pass? Or show how much he has developed Fitz as a passer?

I really hope that doesn't happen, bc I think we could really be a good run team this year. Like top 2-3 in the SEC good.

Thoughts?

mstatefan91
03-22-2017, 04:13 PM
Mullen will definitely try to prove that he has developed Fitz. Whether that's a good thing or not will depend a lot on the receivers and pass blocking..

Jack Lambert
03-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Mullen will definitely try to prove that he has developed Fitz. Whether that's a good thing or not will depend a lot on the receivers and pass blocking..

Having a QB who can take off and run his ass off will always help the O line block.

dawgday166
03-22-2017, 04:33 PM
I'm just waiting to see ... not worried at all. Have no clue what Dan will do. Have no clue how good the Oline will be. I leave it up to Dan to call plays to get us in the end zone. If we don't get there we shouldn't be blaming it on him having to coach the defense too ****

confucius say
03-22-2017, 05:43 PM
I don't expect full on relf coast but not 2015 dak either. Somewhere in the middle. Fitz > relf as a passer.

Gutter Cobreh
03-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Am I the only one worried about Cadaver being worried about our offensive scheme 5 months prior to the first kickoff???***

DeviousDawg
03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
I don't expect full on relf coast but not 2015 dak either. Somewhere in the middle. Fitz > relf as a passer.

That's what we need for offense to by most productive. Keeps the linebackers honest while also allowing our oline to not be completely exposed in the pass block. I've gotten to where I don't worry about the oline. It's always about the same, and never terrible statistically, except the stretch run in 2015 when we gave up like 20 sacks in the last 3 games.

Starting to quietly get really excited about this team. I'm not gonna be expecting 9-10 or anything like that, but we will be very competitive in all our games outside of Bama. I don't think Mullen will ever beat Bama as long as Saban is there.

msbulldog
03-22-2017, 06:37 PM
The tell will be the OL, if Rankins starts at LT and Jenkins starts at LG then it's a run oriented offense. This takes advantage of our offensive strength, RB's vs Receivers. If Coach thinks Fitz has developed greatly from last year as a passer and he has confidence in his receivers, he might go the passing game, (he is the quarterback whisperer). I hope we get back to a serious running game, it will set-up the passing game.

lamont
03-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Our weaknesses are OL and WR- teams are going to load the box and man up our WR's. How often we make them pay in the passing game will decide our offensive success.

Best case we win 8 if everything goes our way. Likely 6-7 win team

HoopsDawg
03-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Our weaknesses are OL and WR- teams are going to load the box and man up our WR's. How often we make them pay in the passing game will decide our offensive success.

Correct. Our recruiting misses at WR are really going to hurt this year. And this could be our worst oline yet under Mullen. Only saving grace is Rankin at LT but of course we are practicing him at Center. A position he will never play.

msstate7
03-22-2017, 07:34 PM
Am I the only one worried about Cadaver being worried about our offensive scheme 5 months prior to the first kickoff???***

Cadaver and I can melt year round and never completely melt out. It's our talent

BiscuitEater
03-22-2017, 07:54 PM
I really hope that doesn't happen, bc I think we could really be a good run team this year. Like top 2-3 in the SEC good.

Thoughts?

My thoughts ..
1) Recommend trying a couple of the over the counter sleeping pills. First game is 163+ days away!
2) It's way too early to get ones panties in a wad about 'what' Mullen will do about the offense. Defense, well that's a different story!
3) To be a 'run first' offense in the SEC (especially in the SEC West) requires a really good OL. Enough on that.
4) Take a breath .. wait till we see the 'spring scrimmage .. hyperventilate if it really looks bad!

lamont
03-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Correct. Our recruiting misses at WR are really going to hurt this year. And this could be our worst oline yet under Mullen. Only saving grace is Rankin at LT but of course we are practicing him at Center. A position he will never play.

I dont think the 2017 OL will be worse than the 2011 OL- that group was awful. But in 2017 we have no room for error- any injury will hurt us tremendously. We have 5 guys on the OL- period. And thats counting we have a guy to fill the RG spot

preachermatt83
03-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Our offense under Mullen is always good. I don't worry bout offense. He will do some dumb stuff no doubt but we will be too half of SEC in offense.

Tripp McNeely
03-22-2017, 08:11 PM

Not saying that our WRs are world beaters, but outside of Bama and LSU, who on the schedule has lockdown corners that can truly go one-on-one and truly Shut Down our receivers in a 4WR set?? I've looked at depth charts and really don't see any that can go one-on-one with Gray, Mixon, etc. and shut them down...make me a compelling case, with somebody outside the two mentioned's, corners?

lamont
03-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Our offense under Mullen is always good. .

2016- 7th in the SEC
2015- 5th in the SEC
2014- 3rd in the SEC
2013- 10th in the SEC
2012- 9th in the SEC
2011- 9th in the SEC (out of 12)
2010- 10th in the SEC (out of 12)
2009- 9th in the SEC (out of 12)

Our offense under Mullen isnt always "good"...3rd and 5th during the Prescott years was good absolutely- but they are the exception to the rule so far

msstate7
03-22-2017, 08:15 PM
Not saying that our WRs are world beaters, but outside of Bama and LSU, who on the schedule has lockdown corners that can truly go one-on-one and truly Shut Down our receivers in a 4WR set?? I've looked at depth charts and really don't see any that can go one-on-one with Gray, Mixon, etc. and shut them down...make me a compelling case, with somebody outside the two mentioned's, corners?

Obviously lsu will still have talent, but losing 2 1st rounders (1 top 10 pick) out of that secondary at least leaves them with a question mark

lamont
03-22-2017, 08:22 PM

Georgia returns their entire Secondary
Auburn returns 3/4 of their Secondary
UPig retuns 3/4 of their Secondary and we play there
A&M returns 3/4 of their Secondary and we play there
BYU returns 3/4 of their Secondary
Kentucky returns 3/4 of their Secondary

The teams we played on our schedule were all young last season- they return lots of starters and QB's. Our schedule is tough as hell. We will be improved- but so will pretty much everyone else.

dawgday166
03-22-2017, 08:22 PM
2016- 7th in the SEC
2015- 5th in the SEC
2014- 3rd in the SEC
2013- 10th in the SEC
2012- 9th in the SEC

Our offense under Mullen isnt always "good"...3rd and 5th during the Prescott years was good absolutely- but they are the exception to the rule so far

Cmon mane! Our offense CANNOT be stopped!! Dan Mullen coaches it.

preachermatt83
03-22-2017, 08:48 PM
2016- 7th in the SEC
2015- 5th in the SEC
2014- 3rd in the SEC
2013- 10th in the SEC
2012- 9th in the SEC

Pulling numbers out of the air does not help your cause. U are wrong in just about every one of those years.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards/year/2010/id/8

GTHOM
03-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Mullen gonna Mullen. I fully expect to have a great drive vs LSU running it down their throat then throw it inside their 30 yard line then miss a FG

Tripp McNeely
03-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Georgia returns their entire Secondary
Auburn returns 3/4 of their Secondary
UPig retuns 3/4 of their Secondary and we play there
A&M returns 3/4 of their Secondary and we play there
BYU returns 3/4 of their Secondary
Kentucky returns 3/4 of their Secondary

The teams we played on our schedule were all young last season- they return lots of starters and QB's. Our schedule is tough as hell. We will be improved- but so will pretty much everyone else.

I didn't ask for experience. I looked at the depth charts, and again, outside of the 2 mentioned, I didn't really see any secondary that could lockdown, man-to-man, our top 3 receivers and stack 8 in the box? Isn't that the issue here? Our running game is going to be really, really good. Aren't we doing this exercise to find that secondary that can truly shut us down, one-on-one in 3 and 4 WR sets, and stack the box and stop our running game?

We don't need a lethal passing attack to make our offense work. We need "enough" to pull one or two players outside the box to open lanes for Nick and Aeris...and again, I see 2 teams on our schedule who can do that. You're reaching on any others that you list

lamont
03-22-2017, 09:20 PM
I didn't ask for experience. I looked at the depth charts, and again, outside of the 2 mentioned, I didn't really see any secondary that could lockdown, man-to-man, our top 3 receivers and stack 8 in the box? Isn't that the issue here? Our running game is going to be really, really good. Aren't we doing this exercise to find that secondary that can truly shut us down, one-on-one in 3 and 4 WR sets, and stack the box and stop our running game?

We don't need a lethal passing attack to make our offense work. We need "enough" to pull one or two players outside the box to open lanes for Nick and Aeris...and again, I see 2 teams on our schedule who can do that. You're reaching on any others that you list

Teams that return 3/4 of their Secondary will absolutely be able to match up with our 12-13th best in the SEC WR's.

lamont
03-22-2017, 09:25 PM
Georgia was 5th in the SEC in D- and they return all 11 starters. Not to mention their HC owned Mullen as a DC. Make sure and add them to your list. They will be one of the SEC's best

lamont
03-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Auburn was 4th in the SEC in D- and return 6 of their back 7. They will be damn good on D too. Add them to your list

msstate7
03-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Auburn was 4th in the SEC in D- and return 6 of their back 7. They will be damn good on D too. Add them to your list
It was the front 4 at auburn that led that defense in particularly Adams and Lawson. Auburn is losing their top int guy in holsey and 4th leading tackler in ford out of their secondary

lamont
03-22-2017, 09:59 PM
It was the front 4 at auburn that led that defense in particularly Adams and Lawson. Auburn is losing their top int guy in holsey and 4th leading tackler in ford out of their secondary

Ford wasnt a starter- nickel guy. Holsey had 3 picks last year- Auburn had 11 total. Freshmen Daniel Thomas and Javaris Davis had 2 picks each. Think they might improve????

I dont think Auburn having their 5-star back-up DT becoming a starter this year is going to hurt their front.

Tripp McNeely
03-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Teams that return 3/4 of their Secondary will absolutely be able to match up with our 12-13th best in the SEC WR's.

I think you're missing the point..."matchup" is not what opponents secondaries have to do to stop our run game. Getting back to the OP, if we can slide 1-2 extra DBs/LBs to the outside, versus the 3-4 DBs that are already man-up against the receivers in whatever set were running, Fitz and Aeris will be effective and have running lanes.

"Matchup" is not what we're afraid of..."lockdown one-on-one...so that they can keep 8 men in the box" is...and there are 2 teams on the schedule obviously capable of that!

msstate7
03-22-2017, 10:26 PM
Ford wasnt a starter- nickel guy. Holsey had 3 picks last year- Auburn had 11 total. Freshmen Daniel Thomas and Javaris Davis had 2 picks each. Think they might improve????

I dont think Auburn having their 5-star back-up DT becoming a starter this year is going to hurt their front.

Ford wasn't a starter and was still their 4th leading tackler and 3rd at tackles per game. Seems whether he started or not, he was a productive player

Gutter Cobreh
03-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Pulling numbers out of the air does not help your cause. U are wrong in just about every one of those years.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards/year/2010/id/8

You linked rankings by yardage. Random's rankings seem loosely based on points.

While the discussion is about our offense, when correlated to how our offense ranks w/ defensive rankings - it becomes apparent that defense is where we should put most of our concern. Offense has been consistent. Defense - not so much!

2016 - 6th in offensive yards / T-8th in total defense
2015 - 4th in offensive yards / T-5th in total defense
2014 - 2nd in offensive yards / 2nd in total defense
2013 - 9th in offensive yards / T-12th in total defense
2012 - 7th in offensive yards / 13th in total defense
2011 - 6th in offensive yards / T-7th in total defense
2010 - 6th in offensive yards / T-7th in total defense
2009 - 9th in offensive yards / T-last in total defense

HoopsDawg
03-23-2017, 11:23 AM
all I know is that we could only get about 350 yards against Miami of Ohio in the bowl game. That's pathetic. And that was with Fred Ross and Justin Senior, 2 combine invites.

dawgday166
03-23-2017, 11:28 AM
You linked rankings by yardage. Random's rankings seem loosely based on points.

While the discussion is about our offense, when correlated to how our offense ranks w/ defensive rankings - it becomes apparent that defense is where we should put most of our concern. Offense has been consistent. Defense - not so much!

2016 - 6th in offensive yards / T-8th in total defense
2015 - 4th in offensive yards / T-5th in total defense
2014 - 2nd in offensive yards / 2nd in total defense
2013 - 9th in offensive yards / T-12th in total defense
2012 - 7th in offensive yards / 13th in total defense
2011 - 6th in offensive yards / T-7th in total defense
2010 - 6th in offensive yards / T-7th in total defense
2009 - 9th in offensive yards / T-last in total defense

Didn't look at all of these but 2013 is wrong. We were 18th in the Nation in total D that year. Much better than 12th in SEC.

I look at combo. O probably does outrank in total yards, but in scoring it isn't even close till you get to 2014 & 2015.

Todd4State
03-23-2017, 11:33 AM
How Dan play calls is based on the running back that we have. Ballard/Dixon/Aeris equals run heavy. Holloway and Perkins equals pass heavy.

lamont
03-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Preacher- you know I don't make shit up to defend my case. I listed scoring because at the end of the day- that's what matters on offense- not yards

msstate7
03-23-2017, 11:48 AM
all I know is that we could only get about 350 yards against Miami of Ohio in the bowl game. That's pathetic. And that was with Fred Ross and Justin Senior, 2 combine invites.

Maybe they should join the sec. We avg'd 419 vs sec teams only.

1bigdawg
03-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Cadaver and I can melt year round and never completely melt out. It's our talent

Shouldn't you be saying the OL will be fine and that Hev is a great coach...**

Gutter Cobreh
03-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Didn't look at all of these but 2013 is wrong. We were 18th in the Nation in total D that year. Much better than 12th in SEC.

I look at combo. O probably does outrank in total yards, but in scoring it isn't even close till you get to 2014 & 2015.

You are correct! I went back and looked and I made the same mistake that Preacher made, except on defense. On ESPN, when you click on defense you would think they sort by total defense. I didn't realize they actually sort defense by sacks, so my rankings are by sacks - which means they show absolutely nothing.

I'm an idiot, but I blame Preacher for linking ESPN to begin with.***

msstate7
03-23-2017, 11:56 AM

For you, I will

TimberBeast
03-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Am I the only one a little worried about all of the "Relf Coast Offense", "more of a run based team", "more of what we saw against Ole Miss" talk? Seems like every time we THINK Mullen's going to do one thing based on our strengths, he does something surprisingly different.

In other words, everything points to us being a run heavy offense featuring Fitz and A-Train, with a lot of 2 TE sets and Gray as our leading WR....so I'm worried I'm going to get my hopes up for that, only to see us come out slinging it around and having Mixon getting damn near as many carries as A-Train, and a lot of short drives where we're left scratching our heads as to why we passed all 3 downs or threw it on 2nd and 3rd and 2, or something like that. Anybody else worried that with all signs pointing to run, Mullen will want to prove we can pass? Or show how much he has developed Fitz as a passer?

Thoughts?

No you're not the only one. I fully expect Mixon to start and have more carries than Aeris. Why? Because Aeris is better and should be the starter. I expect Fitz to sling it all over the field especially in games where we are having success running the ball. Like GTHOM says, I fully expect to have many, many 60 yard drives running down the throat of the other team, only to get to the 20 and throw 3 stupid passes in a row and miss a field goal. The reason you expect it is because it's what mullen does.

dawgday166
03-23-2017, 12:15 PM
You are correct! I went back and looked and I made the same mistake that Preacher made, except on defense. On ESPN, when you click on defense you would think they sort by total defense. I didn't realize they actually sort defense by sacks, so my rankings are by sacks - which means they show absolutely nothing.

I'm an idiot, but I blame Preacher for linking ESPN to begin with.***

Not a problem. 2013 sticks out to me cause I knew we were pretty good on D that year, but didn't realize just how good the D was till I saw that when I was researching all this a while back. That's why I looked at only that 1 year ... cause I knew it had to be wrong.

I go here for my research: http://www.cfbstats.com/

ETA: BTW, I blame Preacher for EVERYTHING ******

dawgday166
03-23-2017, 12:18 PM

I was curious about that too ** Don't tell me he falling out of love with Hev ***

preachermatt83
03-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Not a problem. 2013 sticks out to me cause I knew we were pretty good on D that year, but didn't realize just how good the D was till I saw that when I was researching all this a while back. That's why I looked at only that 1 year ... cause I knew it had to be wrong.

I go here for my research: http://www.cfbstats.com/

ETA: BTW, I blame Preacher for EVERYTHING ******

Haha!

preachermatt83
03-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Preacher- you know I don't make shit up to defend my case. I listed scoring because at the end of the day- that's what matters on offense- not yards

That's all well and good but your rankings are still wrong. Look it up on the link I provided under point per game.

lamont
03-23-2017, 02:54 PM
That's all well and good but your rankings are still wrong. Look it up on the link I provided under point per game.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

Go here. I am not wrong

lamont
03-23-2017, 05:23 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2010/id/8

ESPN says the same thing- 10th in scoring in 2010- you need to tighten up Preacher

preachermatt83
03-23-2017, 08:51 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2010/id/8

ESPN says the same thing- 10th in scoring in 2010- you need to tighten up Preacher

lol.. not to nitpick but at just a quick glance I see two you were wrong about already.

lamont
03-23-2017, 09:05 PM
lol.. not to nitpick but at just a quick glance I see two you were wrong about already.

holy shit man- are you sniffing glue????

2010...10th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2011...9th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2012...9th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2013...10th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2014...3rd- http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html (tied with Bama- but they played in the playoff)

2015...5th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2016...7th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

So, to summarize- I was not wrong (of course), and Mullen's offense has left alot to be desired due to our lack of OL recruiting. We have struggled to be a top half offensive team in the SEC under Mullen. While good by State standards historically- not good in our conference

preachermatt83
03-23-2017, 10:01 PM
holy shit man- are you sniffing glue????

2010...10th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2011...9th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2012...9th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2013...10th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2014...3rd- http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html (tied with Bama- but they played in the playoff)

2015...5th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

2016...7th- http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

So, to summarize- I was not wrong (of course), and Mullen's offense has left alot to be desired due to our lack of OL recruiting. We have struggled to be a top half offensive team in the SEC under Mullen. While good by State standards historically- not good in our conference

Espn shows 8th in 2012 and 2nd in 2014.. but carry on

lamont
03-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Espn shows 8th in 2012 and 2nd in 2014.. but carry on

ESPN link is wrong on Vandy in 2012- they scored 390 not 360 as ESPN has them listed. That puts them ahead of us and LSU that year

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/238/year/2012