PDA

View Full Version : What is our QB situation?

Jack Lambert
03-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Just curious.

CadaverDawg
03-22-2017, 09:46 AM
Starter - Fitz
Backup - Key

msstate7
03-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Starter - Fitz
Backup - Key

3rd string - martinas Rankin

CadaverDawg
03-22-2017, 09:47 AM

Lol

lamont
03-22-2017, 09:48 AM
Very good starter- very talented but extremely green back-up for the next 2 years

BeardoMSU
03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Are we really not going to RS Key?

lamont
03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Not a chance

Bass Chaser
03-22-2017, 09:50 AM

He's going to snap it to himself.

Jack Lambert
03-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Starter - Fitz
Backup - Key

Any walk on's or is Mullen trying to get a transfer?

Johnson85
03-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Not a chance

That just seems crazy to not even try. We'll be in trouble if Fitz goes down regardless. If we can redshirt KT, then we can bring him in much more often next year when we can really groom him to take over as a RS sophomore.

So is there any chance the rule on RS will change this year to allow him to play in some games? Or has the time for that passed?

Jarius
03-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Any walk on's or is Mullen trying to get a transfer?

Cody Blosser from California is walking on. He had some G5 offers, so it's a good walkon pickup.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Key could play in 4 games & still count as a RS year so it's not out of the question but he's being prepared to play. We're looking at lining up another 4* in this class also so we don't have to treat him like gold. If he plays this year he'd still have 2yrs of being the man when Fitz leaves.

CadaverDawg
03-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Are we really not going to RS Key?

Nope. No other options

msstate7
03-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Key could play in 4 games & still count as a RS year so it's not out of the question but he's being prepared to play. We're looking at lining up another 4* in this class also so we don't have to treat him like gold. If he plays this year he'd still have 2yrs of being the man when Fitz leaves.

Can it be any 4 games?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Can it be any 4 games?

Yes

BeardoMSU
03-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Yes

Interesting. Is playing time limited in those 4 games?

dawgday166
03-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Good one.

msstate7
03-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Yes

It'll be interesting to see if we pick and choose where to use those 4 games or just throw him out there first chance we get

smootness
03-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Thompson, if he's as good as he seems to be, won't be here for 5 years. So the debate over redshirting him likely doesn't matter. And selfishly, I wanna see him play.

HSVDawg
03-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Who is the other 4* and why hasn't he signed anywhere yet?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Who is the other 4* and why hasn't he signed anywhere yet?

I'm talking about the 2018 class.

HSVDawg
03-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Thompson, if he's as good as he seems to be, won't be here for 5 years. So the debate over redshirting him likely doesn't matter. And selfishly, I wanna see him play.

Well, Dak was here 5 years. Eli was at OM for 5 years. Same with Peyton at UT also (I think). Just because he's highly regarded and has a lot of hype around him doesn't mean he will leave early. QB's are a little bit different than every other position in that regard, although some certainly still do leave early.

BeardoMSU
03-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Well, Dak was here 5 years. Eli was at OM for 5 years. Same with Peyton at UT also (I think). Just because he's highly regarded and has a lot of hype around him doesn't mean he will leave early. QB's are a little bit different than every other position in that regard, although some certainly still do leave early.

Was going to say essentially the same thing.

HSVDawg
03-22-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm talking about the 2018 class.

Oh I see. I still don't think that impacts how we treat Key for 2017 though. He can't sign until December at the earliest which is after the regular season. We'd be extremely foolish to manage our QB situation in 2017 based on a guy is not guaranteed to be here, even if he is the most solid commitment in the world.

Johnson85
03-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Wayyyy to speculative to burn a RS thinking a true freshman will be that good. It's highly likely we won't be able to avoid playing him, as even Fitz just going out for a few plays in a close game means we need to put our next best option in. But if the walk-on can take a snap without fumbling, barring injury to Fitz, there's a pretty good chance we can preserve KT's redshirt if the new rule allows him to play in 3 games.

lamont
03-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Payton didn't redshirt- he began starting his true freshman year

Johnson85
03-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Is it four games? I though it was no more than 25% of the games, which would be no more than 3?

DancingRabbit
03-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Dan would probably give him the "theoretical Dak offer". Come back for your senior year and I'll adjust the offense to showcase your NFL potential and get you ready. But it's a moot point. We're going to have to play him this year. In our offense the QB is going to get nicked up. Gotta have 2 ready to play.

Your Peyton and Eli examples are a little old. Seems to me that all positions are a little more likely to leave early today than in 2004.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Oh I see. I still don't think that impacts how we treat Key for 2017 though. He can't sign until December at the earliest which is after the regular season. We'd be extremely foolish to manage our QB situation in 2017 based on a guy is not guaranteed to be here, even if he is the most solid commitment in the world.

Wasn't trying to imply that. My point was that we seem to be trending up on our level of QB's that we are getting. If so then you don't have to treat them like gold & try to protect them & make sure they're here for 5yrs. If you're recruiting guys that are Keytaon level every year then playing him this year isn't as big a deal.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Is it four games? I though it was no more than 25% of the games, which would be no more than 3?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/new-redshirt-proposal-would-allow-athletes-to-play-four-games-regardless-of-injury/amp/

DancingRabbit
03-22-2017, 11:30 AM

When is the final vote on this? Sometime next month? Is the 10th coach expected to pass now, or pushed back to 2018?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-22-2017, 11:32 AM
When is the final vote on this? Sometime next month? Is the 10th coach expected to pass now, or pushed back to 2018?

Yes next month. The 10th coach is expected to pass next month but it wouldn't go into effect until after bowl season. Didn't want a ton of coaches moving around this time of year. It's more natural after the bowl season.

spiral
03-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Payton didn't redshirt- he began starting his true freshman year

Yep. He came in at MSU after Helton got injured and started ever since. I remember watching that and he lit us up pretty good but that was one rare occasion where every bad bounce of the ball and turnover went our way. He lost to MSU that day but TN ended up being quite good that year.

Political Hack
03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
There's very little chance KT is in Starkville for 5 years under Mullen. He'll be ready in 3-4. He's that good

blacklistedbully
03-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Cody Blosser from California is walking on. He had some G5 offers, so it's a good walkon pickup.

Robbie Blosser

Jack Lambert
03-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Robbie Blosser

I assume this is him. http://247sports.com/Player/Robbie-Blosser-77150

KentuckyDawg13
03-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Logan Burnett is taking snaps too.

HSVDawg
03-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Wasn't trying to imply that. My point was that we seem to be trending up on our level of QB's that we are getting. If so then you don't have to treat them like gold & try to protect them & make sure they're here for 5yrs. If you're recruiting guys that are Keytaon level every year then playing him this year isn't as big a deal.

I gotcha.

I would think the best way to manage Key is to get him into action early for one game (preferably Charleston Southern or someone like that....where he can just go out there with a lead and get used to live snaps). From that point forward, he goes on the shelf unless we need him. If it's a game against BYU and we're up 21 in the 3rd and Fitz'a helmet comes off, put the walk on in to hand off for one play. If it's Auburn and Fitz gets banged up for a series, it's gotta be Key. Hopefully, you don't have to throw him out there more than 3 more times after that first game, and we can keep the RS on him. But if not we just have to deal with it.

TrapGame
03-22-2017, 03:51 PM

(snickers)