PDA

View Full Version : LSU Hires Will Wade as MBK Coach

TheRef
03-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Will Wade was the HC of VCU for the past two seasons. The two seasons before that he was HC of UT-Chattanooga. He is 91-45 for this career and has made the NCAA Tournament both years he was at VCU, but was eliminated early both years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Wade_(basketball)

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Will never be a worse hire than johniie Jones so he's got that going for him.

msstate7
03-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Why can't Kermit Davis break thru to a P5 school? I thought he should've got the lsu job

CadaverDawg
03-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Wade rode Shaka's talent into a P5 job. Good for him. This doesn't make LSU dangerous at all in my opinion.

fader2103
03-21-2017, 10:12 AM
I don't see it as a big hire, I agree with Cadaver he used Shaka's talent. Never beat a Top 25 team in his career (Even though only 4 years in coaching and didn't play that many)

smootness
03-21-2017, 10:14 AM
It's not a bad hire, but VCU's coaches are always overrated. They're solid coaches, as VCU generally does a good job of hiring, but that program runs itself. I think Shaka Smart's quite a bit overrated as well. He spent 6 years at that school, the first 3 in the Colonial, and never once won the regular season title. Anthony Grant was there 3 years and won the league every year.

Smart's entire reputation is based off one insane run to the Final 4.

Capel was a pretty good coach, but his ways caught up to him and he slipped and was fired at Oklahoma. Grant turned out to be mediocre. Smart, IMO, is mediocre. We'll see what Wade is.

Dawg61
03-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Wow he is crazy young only 34 years old

Ifyouonlyknew
03-21-2017, 10:21 AM
The last 3 VCU coaches have had mixed reviews once they stepped up. 1 thing you can say about VCU is like Houston football they are a stepping stone to a big time Power 5 job.

msstate7
03-21-2017, 10:29 AM
The last 3 VCU coaches have had mixed reviews once they stepped up. 1 thing you can say about VCU is like Houston football they are a stepping stone to a big time Power 5 job.

Yeah, there will be a bunch of young coaches going after the VCU job

CadaverDawg
03-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Yeah, there will be a bunch of young coaches going after the VCU job

#RickRay

smootness
03-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Xavier is similar. It's a basketball school, and they do well regardless of who the coach is, though their coaches have been a little better after leaving. Prosser did pretty well to start at WF, then tailed off. Matta did really well at OSU initially but now he's tailing off. Sean Miller has been the best of the bunch, but even he hasn't made a Final 4 yet at Arizona, though I think this is the year.

I think Mack is a good coach, but it's just hard to tell at a place like Xavier.

Martianlander
03-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Why can't Kermit Davis break thru to a P5 school? I thought he should've got the lsu job

Kermit got caught up in some trouble when he was the coach at A&M for one year. He got a two year show cause and had to work his way back through the JC ranks starting as an assistant. Not sure the A&M was his fault but as head coach he had to take the fall. Some schools are afraid because of that. He's happy at Middle Tennessee so it would take the right opportunity for him to leave. With incentives he's close to a million a year. I know that's not SEC money but it's not bad.

Dawg61
03-21-2017, 10:48 AM
I think Shaka Smart's quite a bit overrated as well. He spent 6 years at that school, the first 3 in the Colonial, and never once won the regular season title. Anthony Grant was there 3 years and won the league every year.

Smart, IMO, is mediocre.

Shaka isn't overrated. You don't lead the entire country in steals and turnovers forced for four consecutive years unless you can actually coach the **** outta some defense. His reputation isn't based off just that ridiculous run to the final four his reputation is based off his "havoc" defense which is the reason for that ridiculous run. After 18 years with the same coach it's gonna take more than one season for Smart to change that program into his style.

MarketingBully
03-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Kermit got caught up in some trouble when he was the coach at A&M for one year. He got a two year show cause and had to work his way back through the JC ranks starting as an assistant. Not sure the A&M was his fault but as head coach he had to take the fall. Some schools are afraid because of that. He's happy at Middle Tennessee so it would take the right opportunity for him to leave. With incentives he's close to a million a year. I know that's not SEC money but it's not bad.

That's as much as Brad Underwood was getting paid at Ok State. Man, they were dumb. They at least should have paid him $1.7 mil or above. Illinois saw that and offered a 6 year/$18 mil deal and boom he was gone. If Howland ever left or retired, I'd hope we would go after Davis since he was a Bulldog and he is a great coach and recruiter.

MarketingBully
03-21-2017, 02:26 PM
It's not a bad hire, but VCU's coaches are always overrated. They're solid coaches, as VCU generally does a good job of hiring, but that program runs itself. I think Shaka Smart's quite a bit overrated as well. He spent 6 years at that school, the first 3 in the Colonial, and never once won the regular season title. Anthony Grant was there 3 years and won the league every year.

Capel was a pretty good coach, but his ways caught up to him and he slipped and was fired at Oklahoma. Grant turned out to be mediocre. Smart, IMO, is mediocre. We'll see what Wade is.

It's not a homerun hire IMO. I would have paid $3 million a year and gotten Tom Crean. Crean would have done well there. Here's the interesting hire. Alford to Indiana and Marshall to UCLA. Watch, it's going to happen.

smootness
03-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Shaka isn't overrated. You don't lead the entire country in steals and turnovers forced for four consecutive years unless you can actually coach the **** outta some defense. His reputation isn't based off just that ridiculous run to the final four his reputation is based off his "havoc" defense which is the reason for that ridiculous run. After 18 years with the same coach it's gonna take more than one season for Smart to change that program into his style.

He coaches to create turnovers, for sure. In that sense he's very good. My point is that as an overall coach, he's overrated. Your goal as a coach is to win games. In 6 years at a basketball school, 3 spent in a conference they should have and had dominated and 3 more in a conference they could easily win, he won exactly 0 conference championships. In his 3 years in the Colonial, they were beaten out by such schools as Drexel, William & Mary, Northeastern, and Hofstra, among others.

The year they went to the Final 4, they finished 4th in the CAA behind George Mason, Old Dominion, and Hofstra.

So not overrated as the coach of a defensive system that creates turnovers, but that's not what I said. Overrated as a coach who gets consistent results...yes.

1bigdawg
03-21-2017, 03:10 PM
It's not a homerun hire IMO. I would have paid $3 million a year and gotten Tom Crean. Crean would have done well there. Here's the interesting hire. Alford to Indiana and Marshall to UCLA. Watch, it's going to happen.

I don't believe UCLA will hire Marshall. Results or no results, they will not accept the embarrassment of Marshall's wife.

RocketDawg
03-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Wow he is crazy young only 34 years old

Wasn't Stansbury about that age when he took over our team?

Ifyouonlyknew
03-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Problem with Crean is he's hit or miss too. He missed the Tourney more times than he made it at Indiana. He's also not an elite recruiter so chances are he's going to get less talent at LSU than he did at Indiana. That's a recipe for mediocrity.

MarketingBully
03-21-2017, 04:34 PM
I don't believe UCLA will hire Marshall. Results or no results, they will not accept the embarrassment of Marshall's wife.

They will hire Marshall.

MarketingBully
03-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Problem with Crean is he's hit or miss too. He missed the Tourney more times than he made it at Indiana. He's also not an elite recruiter so chances are he's going to get less talent at LSU than he did at Indiana. That's a recipe for mediocrity.

He's more of a sure thing then the Wade guy. He won two Big 10 titles at Indiana which was more then any other coach in the Big 10 in that span. He had two top players go down this year with season ending injuries. Was dumb for them to fire him but to each their own I guess. Crean would have been successful at LSU.

99jc
03-21-2017, 05:01 PM

I believe.