PDA

View Full Version : Welp. Looks like more bad baseball news on the horizon...

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 09:31 PM
I can't confirm just yet, but I'm hearing strong rumors that we're down another pitcher. I can't say more just yet bc I want to be accurate. I'll have an update in the morning when I can confirm. Someone needs to put this season out of its misery or hit the reset button, ugh.

RocketDawg
03-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Pretty soon we're not going to be able to field a team.

HSVDawg
03-20-2017, 09:35 PM
I can't confirm just yet, but I'm hearing strong rumors that we're down another pitcher. I can't say more just yet bc I want to be accurate. I'll have an update in the morning when I can confirm. Someone needs to put this season out of its misery or hit the reset button, ugh.

Down another pitcher due to injury, or kicked off the team?

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Down another pitcher due to injury, or kicked off the team?

Not injury related from what I'm hearing

GTHOM
03-20-2017, 09:45 PM
What a complete and utter disaster

Tbonewannabe
03-20-2017, 09:46 PM
We are about to see how many dual position players we have that can pitch. This season is as much of a pass for Canny as possible.

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 09:49 PM
If we're kicking healthy pitchers off the team -it better be because of an Aaron Hernandez situation.

BankerDog
03-20-2017, 09:57 PM
It's true, but no one knows why just yet. Also, one of the star players on this team is supposedly suspended. And another pitcher reportedly rolled an ankle today at practice.

Expect a lot of turnover after the year. Coaches, players, etc.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 09:58 PM
It's true, but no one knows why just yet. Also, one of the star players on this team is supposedly suspended. And another pitcher reportedly rolled an ankle today at practice.

Yep.

Noxdog
03-20-2017, 10:00 PM

:mad:

RocketDawg
03-20-2017, 10:02 PM

What's going on with that team? Is it Cannizaro's fault?

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:04 PM
There are already a lot of rumors that Henderson won't be back.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:04 PM

Nope, he's disciplining and maintaining control.

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:05 PM

Cohen apparently sold his soul to baseball satan to win the SEC last year.

BankerDog
03-20-2017, 10:07 PM
Henderson isn't happy having to coach under a 1st year coach. Players don't like him. Cann is establishing discipline on the team. If you saw how most of these guys act after a loss, you would be in embarrass. You would see them out in the Cotton District acting as if nothing was wrong or they didn't just get embarrassed. I've also heard Coggin might not be back next year either.

tireddawg
03-20-2017, 10:12 PM
The roster will look much different next year. We're 3 years away...Be patient. Like Cadaver said, discipline & control.

WSOPdawg
03-20-2017, 10:12 PM

Well, we had a lot of star players last year but only 3 offensive stars this year -- shouldn't be too difficult to figure out who is suspended. Besides, we didn't wanna beat UT this weekend anyway, right?

msstate7
03-20-2017, 10:13 PM

There's 3 stars (pilk, mangum, and jake). If one of those 3 is suspended, this could be an all time bad season

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:14 PM
There's 3 stars (pilk, mangum, and jake). If one of those 3 is suspended, this could be an all time bad season

Prepare yourself then. Not suspended all season though. Temporary I believe.

WSOPdawg
03-20-2017, 10:14 PM

Uh, that's only 2 stars that you listed. But then I see the name I was guessing.

Cooterpoot
03-20-2017, 10:15 PM
Im disgusted with where our program is at. And Cohen should be ashamed.

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:15 PM

You mean and Rooker? "One of our star players" does narrow it down pretty quickly.

msstate7
03-20-2017, 10:17 PM
Uh, that's only 2 stars that you listed. But then I see the name I was guessing.

Haha... jake is 2 stars by himself** I meant rooker

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Im disgusted with where our program is at. And Cohen should be ashamed.

No kidding. He should give Cann a raise just for having to deal with this shitburger.

If anyone says it Cann- there's no way. Skip Bertman couldn't win with this situation. This year should be a mulligan for Cann. If it's year three and there is no improvement then yeah. But not now.

ScoobaDawg
Henderson isn't happy having to coach under a 1st year coach. Players don't like him. Cann is establishing discipline on the team. If you saw how most of these guys act after a loss, you would be in embarrass. You would see them out in the Cotton District acting as if nothing was wrong or they didn't just get embarrassed. I've also heard Coggin might not be back next year either.

That's not a big surprise. Henderson came here under Cohen. When John changed roles, where could Henderson really go? Ride this year out and let's just part ways if it doesn't work out. Let Cann go get the LSU pitching coach or someone else really strong.

Just sucks gonna be a LONG season...and very forgettable LAST Season at the current dude and the LFL.

Now whats this about players lacked disciple. How the hell did that happen. Are you saying John went soft on them last year or did Cann come in and let things sudddenly get out of control. Something doesn't add up.

Todd4State
Haha... jake is 2 stars by himself** I meant rooker

He is a dual position guy now, so I forgive you.

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:20 PM
That's not a big surprise. Henderson came here under Cohen. When John changed roles, where could Henderson really go? Ride this year out and let's just part ways if it doesn't work out. Let Cann go get the LSU pitching coach or someone else really strong.

Just sucks gonna be a LONG season...and very forgettable LAST Season at the current dude and the LFL.

Now whats this about players lacked disciple. How the hell did that happen. Are you saying John went soft on them last year or did Cann come in and let things sudddenly get out of control. Something doesn't add up.

When teams start to lose and you don't have a lot of upper class leaders and new coaches- discipline issues can happen.

That said- how the hell is Marrero still on the team?

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:21 PM
No kidding. He should give Cann a raise just for having to deal with this shitburger.

If anyone says it Cann- there's no way. Skip Bertman couldn't win with this situation. This year should be a mulligan for Cann. If it's year three and there is no improvement then yeah. But not now.

Yep. It's not Cann. If anything he's trying to take steps to get these guys' shit together. Being a little extreme even, to make sure they know he's not losing control. I like it. But I think we need to get a young PC after the season

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Yep. It's not Cann. If anything he's trying to take steps to get these guys' shit together. Being a little extreme even, to make sure they know he's not losing control. I like it. But I think we need to get a young PC after the season

Absolutely agree. We need to do whatever it takes to get Alan Dunn to MSU. There were rumors that he was coming with Cann when we first hired him- although that didn't make a lot of sense because of Henderson still being around. Dunn has a similar background as Cann. I think he was a pitching coordinator or something like that for maybe the Phillies?

I looked it up- he was a minor league pitching coach for the Cubs and then the Orioles where he was also the pitching coordinator for the Orioles.

msstate7
03-20-2017, 10:24 PM
If it's jake in trouble, he's gone for sure at the end of the year. We'll essentially have one big time piece to build around next season in pilk. This is definitely shaping up as a multi-year rebuild

SDDawg
03-20-2017, 10:24 PM
Cohen ****ed it up, no question. And the new coach is unqualified. Great recipe.

msstate7
03-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Who's the starter tomorrow?

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:26 PM

Don't think it's been announced, but likely Billingsley or Ashcraft I would guess

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:27 PM

TBA but I'd guess Billingsley. Could be Cyr too.

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Cohen ****ed it up, no question. And the new coach is unqualified. Great recipe.

Sigh.

hailstate17
03-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Henderson may have been the dumbest hire we've made at Mississippi State outside of peter sirmon. I hear he lacks energy, the players don't respect him, his conditioning and throwing program are a joke. He doesn't know what he's doing. Terrible hire by Cohen. Cann will go get a big time guy.

msstate7
03-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Henderson may have been the dumbest hire we've made at Mississippi State outside of peter sirmon. I hear he lacks energy, the players don't respect him, his conditioning and throwing program are a joke. He doesn't know what he's doing. Terrible hire by Cohen. Cann will go get a big time guy.

If the players don't respect the coaches, the coaches aren't the only problem.

lamont
03-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Marrero is done

Bothrops
03-20-2017, 10:43 PM
We need to scour the entire western hemisphere for baseball players. We need to begin a global search for OL players.

lamont
03-20-2017, 10:43 PM

Cmon dude. Henderson helped Cohen win the SEC at Kentucky and has been a major college coach for awhile. Henderson got chosen to help coach a national team as well by his peers. He isnt a Little League Daddy pretending to be a coach because he played Little League too.

msstate7
03-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Cmon dude. Henderson helped Cohen win the SEC at Kentucky and has been a major college coach for awhile. Henderson got chosen to help coach a national team as well by his peers. He isnt a Little League Daddy pretending to be a coach because he played Little League too.

I agree about Henderson. He seems to be the fall guy for this year. I think considering the injuries on the pitching staff that Henderson has done a bang up job whether the pitchers like him or not

hailstate17
03-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Talk to a pitcher on the staff. They'd rather have Johnson back in a heartbeat, even as bad as y'all talk about him

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 10:56 PM
I agree about Henderson. He seems to be the fall guy for this year. I think considering the injuries on the pitching staff that Henderson has done a bang up job whether the pitchers like him or not

I think it's more a situation where he was going to be with Cohen whom he was comfortable with and then all of a sudden Cohen becomes AD and now he's with a head coach who doesn't really know him. Even worse, I think UK fired Henderson unfairly to be honest with you. It's a chemistry issue more than anything.

It's like Dan and Torbush.

BankerDog
03-20-2017, 10:58 PM
TBA but I'd guess Billingsley. Could be Cyr too.

Well, ya see...

hailstate17
03-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Cann needs to chill though. I get he wants to show that's he's serious but kicking off a promising healthy pitcher for something fairly small in my opinion is a little much.

sandwolf
03-20-2017, 11:16 PM
Cann needs to chill though. I get he wants to show that's he's serious but kicking off a promising healthy pitcher for something fairly small in my opinion is a little much.What is 'something fairly small'?

hailstate17
03-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Basically the same thing OM's captains got suspended two games for.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Cann needs to chill though. I get he wants to show that's he's serious but kicking off a promising healthy pitcher for something fairly small in my opinion is a little much.

No, not when you commit small things multiple times on a 3 strike policy. At some point, there has to be a breaking point. And as a young coach, if you say 3 strikes and you give 4, the rest of the team picks up on it, and then Katy bar the door.

I do hope our fans will go easy on the guy though. From all accounts he is a great kid that just made too many small mistakes. Hate it, but rules is rules.

The star player will be fine, but needs to set a better example and lead off the field too...not just on it.

And let's be real, you come out and play good baseball and win...some of these things may get a pass. So either way, it's on the players. And this will lead to some guys getting a chance to step up. Either way, one positive is we will have a lot more experience next year, ha.

sandwolf
03-20-2017, 11:42 PM
Basically the same thing OM's captains got suspended two games for.What did OM's captains get suspended for?

hailstate17
03-20-2017, 11:49 PM
Curfew. And that's a good point because last year the half of the team would be in the district the night before every game and they were sec champs. I guess when you win you overlook things a little more

Todd4State
03-21-2017, 12:25 AM
Curfew. And that's a good point because last year the half of the team would be in the district the night before every game and they were sec champs. I guess when you win you overlook things a little more

Honestly, I don't have a problem with our players going out after a loss. They need to have a life and be college kids at some point too and I think trying to hold them back from that sometimes can cause more problems and friction.

Thick
03-21-2017, 01:01 AM
Honestly, I don't have a problem with our players going out after a loss. They need to have a life and be college kids at some point too and I think trying to hold them back from that sometimes can cause more problems and friction.

I agree with you T.

CadaverDawg
03-21-2017, 01:08 AM

I agree with that unless say, it's when we are on a road series and the team has a hotel curfew. Wouldn't you agree? I totally think the players should be able to go out after a game for a little while in Starkville...although I still think they should respect curfew.

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2017, 01:44 AM
The book Cohen won't be writing after this season:

"Dynasty Baseball - Going Back to Back in the SEC"

dawgs
03-21-2017, 02:06 AM
****ing coastal Carolina has a national title and we are 3 ******* years away from maybe sneaking into a regional again. Think about that. Fresno ****ing st has a natty and we can't piece together more than maybe 1 contender every 3-4 years then have to go thru a full rebuild. It's pathetic, there's no excuses for being where we are now with our resources, fan support, and history, especially being so ****ing close to a title in 2013, took 3 years to rebuild a contender and we ****ed up in the regionals, and now we are looking at a 3 year rebuild to maybe make a regional. Terrible.

TUSK
03-21-2017, 03:24 AM

Mullen to State?

RiverCityDawg
03-21-2017, 06:12 AM

This year is a waste anyway, might as well use it to build a foundation of discipline if nothing else. I say that without knowing the offense(s), but rules are rules and the program will be better in the long run if players know there are consequences if you break them.

stalkingpoon
03-21-2017, 06:19 AM
I don't know if discipline was an issue before or Cann is just an hard ass, but some of the players hate him.

Todd4State
03-21-2017, 06:39 AM
I agree with that unless say, it's when we are on a road series and the team has a hotel curfew. Wouldn't you agree? I totally think the players should be able to go out after a game for a little while in Starkville...although I still think they should respect curfew.

I agree. The road is different than Starkville. You have to have a curfew.

DogDaddy
03-21-2017, 06:46 AM
I don't know if discipline was an issue before or Cann is just an hard ass, but some of the players hate him.

I bet the ones that hate him are the ones who can't/won't follow the rules.....

stalkingpoon
03-21-2017, 07:04 AM
Might be, but these guys haven't had any previous issues beforehand, and still haven't. This comes straight from players off the team, no he said she said.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 07:14 AM
If we're kicking healthy pitchers off the team -it better be because of an Aaron Hernandez situation.

****ing really? You've got to be shitting me with this. Get a grip.

RAYn_Man
03-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Hearing lots of turnover on the staff. Pretty much a complete new coaching staff with the possible exception of one. As far as players, Cann might be trying to trim the fat because someone signed 19 players for next year when we only will lose 5 players. That is a serious f*** up numbers wise.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Well then these ****ing children need to figure out how to deal with discipline in a program. You play like shit and look like shit you better not act like shit too. If they can't get their ass in gear then they need to be ****ing handled.

Clean the ****ing house out and flush them. Find out which guys are gonna sell out for the team and the program and not be whiny little pussies because they don't like the rules and the things they are made to do. Cann knows what it takes for a program to win. I expect him to implement those things. If there are players here that have issue with it they need to play somewhere else next year. That includes Pilk, Jake, or Rooker. It's not like we have a player that we can afford to lose because he is making us unbeatable.

Coaches and players get your ****ing shit together or get the **** out. This season unfortunately is house cleaning. I'm very disappointed in how Cohen has left this program. This shit should never happen.

BrunswickDawg
03-21-2017, 07:24 AM

Ron Polk, is that you??**

There are players on every team that hate the coach. Players who think they should be playing hate the coach. Players who are playing but think they should be starting hate the coach. Stars who think they are above the rules hate the coach.

At least we know that Cohen won't be working to undermine Cann so we spend 3 years fighting about who should be coach and who is yanking their donation.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Hearing lots of turnover on the staff. Pretty much a complete new coaching staff with the possible exception of one. As far as players, Cann might be trying to trim the fat because someone signed 19 players for next year when we only will lose 5 players. That is a serious f*** up numbers wise.

Shit see ya. They don't have their gravy train they've had the last few years. Gtfo

RAYn_Man
03-21-2017, 07:31 AM
Bottom line is we are about to go through a complete rebuild. Cann is gonna have to do what Cohen did two years ago when he pulled all those junior's schollies. They'll probably be a lot of transfers, but he's gonna have to do everything he can to get all these freshman to campus.

bulldogcountry1
03-21-2017, 07:38 AM
I found it suspicious that Coggin was MIA the last home Friday, and he's been coaching first ever since. I was rooting for him to stay around for a while because it seems like he does a good job with recruiting and hitting.

As for Henderson, no, he doesn't look like he's very enthusiastic. Butch never did either, though. I can imagine he's not totally comfortable with the situation. After Cannizaro was hired, he had to know it was a one year deal, and that he was going to have to help with the transition of a new HC as much as being a PC. I wasn't very excited about the hire in the first place. Give me a guy on his way up any day over a guy taking a demotion.

At this point, the best you can hope for is no more serious injuries and no more suspensions. Just get thought the season and recruit, recruit, recruit. That might be easier said than done if most of the staff are on their way out.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 07:39 AM
Bottom line is we are about to go through a complete rebuild. Cann is gonna have to do what Cohen did two years ago when he pulled all those junior's schollies. They'll probably be a lot of transfers, but he's gonna have to do everything he can to get all these freshman to campus.

Good do it. I want to win a national championship in baseball and we can. Let's try it Cann way.

stalkingpoon
03-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Well then these ****ing children need to figure out how to deal with discipline in a program. You play like shit and look like shit you better not act like shit too. If they can't get their ass in gear then they need to be ****ing handled.

Clean the ****ing house out and flush them. Find out which guys are gonna sell out for the team and the program and not be whiny little pussies because they don't like the rules and the things they are made to do. Cann knows what it takes for a program to win. I expect him to implement those things. If there are players here that have issue with it they need to play somewhere else next year. That includes Pilk, Jake, or Rooker. It's not like we have a player that we can afford to lose because he is making us unbeatable.

Coaches and players get your ****ing shit together or get the **** out. This season unfortunately is house cleaning. I'm very disappointed in how Cohen has left this program. This shit should never happen.

I have no issue with this at all. Just saying there is definitely some tension in the clubhouse right now.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 07:40 AM
I found it suspicious that Coggin was MIA the last home Friday, and he's been coaching first ever since. I was rooting for him to stay around for a while because it seems like he does a good job with recruiting and hitting.

As for Henderson, no, he doesn't look like he's very enthusiastic. Butch never did either, though. I can imagine he's not totally comfortable with the situation. After Cannizaro was hired, he had to know it was a one year deal, and that he was going to have to help with the transition of a new HC as much as being a PC. I wasn't very excited about the hire in the first place. Give me a guy on his way up any day over a guy taking a demotion.

At this point, the best you can hope for is no more serious injuries and no more suspensions. Just get thought the season and recruit, recruit, recruit. That might be easier said than done if most of the staff are on their way out.

A new head coach has to bring in his own guys. Guys he trusts. These are Cohens guys and they all need to be gone after this season. Clean out the whole ****ing thing.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 07:42 AM
I have no issue with this at all. Just saying there is definitely some tension in the clubhouse right now.

There should be. Eggshells. If you got guys wanting to do things the old way and combine that with losing..well...I expect Cann to be a total cocksuker. And that's a good thing.

stalkingpoon
03-21-2017, 07:43 AM
There was tension well before the season started, it didn't just start when we started losing.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 07:48 AM
There was tension well before the season started, it didn't just start when we started losing.

I believe that absolutely. But losing just makes it so much worse. The pre season tension can be squashed if the team is winning and doing what it takes to win. But by losing it shows the players way or the old way ain't working. Hence change. And change is hard. Those players need to toughen up buttercup.

BankerDog
03-21-2017, 07:53 AM

That's because those freshmen last year weren't around the year before to see Cohen go off on guys after the crap they did on the field in '14 and '15.

The difference between what they were doing last year and this year; last year you had
veterans who would stay on the younger guys. And even then they had problems of getting those guys to work in practice. The veterans last year knew what it was like to lose and they took '15 personal (the whole 2013 signing class). Sure they went out after games, but come game time it was business. We don't have any veteran leadership this year.

And players hated Cohen when he was intense. Players hate the guy at Hinds and at Delta St. but they win and players love them later on.

Homedawg
03-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Coggin was recruiting last Friday. With that said, I don't expect him back

BB30
03-21-2017, 08:19 AM
That's because those freshmen last year weren't around the year before to see Cohen go off on guys after the crap they did on the field in '14 and '15.

The difference between what they were doing last year and this year; last year you had
veterans who would stay on the younger guys. And even then they had problems of getting those guys to work in practice. The veterans last year knew what it was like to lose and they took '15 personal (the whole 2013 signing class). Sure they went out after games, but come game time it was business. We don't have any veteran leadership this year.

And players hated Cohen when he was intense. Players hate the guy at Hinds and at Delta St. but they win and players love them later on.

Absolutely you can hate a coach and still respect him. The best coaches find a way to be hard on you on the field and still make you feel like you could go to them with any off the field issues and talk to them about it. My favorite pitching coach was an absolute a** on the field on mound visits etc. but off the field he'd BS and you could tell he genuinely cared about what was going on in your life outside of ball.

Cann knows this sport inside and out on a very very technical level. If we give him some time he will turn out to be a very good coach IMO. The guy has literally done everything baseball related you can possibly have a career doing. Playing, scouting, asst coach at a top flight program, and now a HC. He has excelled at every stop and I expect being a HC he will do the same. Give the guy some breathing room and trust that he will do the best for the program. Best thing we can do as fans is sit back and understand this season is going to be extremely rough. This whole year as a state fan as far as men's sports go have been underwhelming to say the least which I think makes it a little worse.

Cary Hudson's little bro
03-21-2017, 08:32 AM

Very true

Bubb Rubb
03-21-2017, 08:38 AM

Sounds like the problem we had the first year or two of Cohen.

Gutter Cobreh
03-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Coggin was recruiting last Friday. With that said, I don't expect him back

I've often wondered why he gets a pass on this board. You never really see his name brought up when the board is going full meltdown. To me that says he's expendable.

smootness
03-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Good gosh, we hear this crap every time we hire a new coach.

If there is a time for a coach to be too tough on players, it is right off the bat. Much easier to loosen the reins later than tighten them. He probably saw this year was going to be bad and figured he might as well set the tone and if we lose some guys, oh well.

Cohen was super tight early on and loosened up later, and both worked. Everybody just chill.

lamont
03-21-2017, 08:43 AM
We didn't **** anything up numbers-wise signing players- when you sign that many it means you plan to clean house.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 08:43 AM

Bingo. And if you don't have guys that have been in the program taking the reins as they should then the HC has to do it. And for players it always sucks when the HC has to do it. As a HC it's the last thing you want to have to **** with bc your players won't police themselves. So it makes you really ****ing pissed and makes you a dick to deal with. This is 100% on the players and they can make it better. Or Cann will make their life hell. Their choice.

smootness
03-21-2017, 08:45 AM

This is the most I have ever agreed with you. Spot on.

Ari Gold
03-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Bingo. And if you don't have guys that have been in the program taking the reins as they should then the HC has to do it. And for players it always sucks when the HC has to do it. As a HC it's the last thing you want to have to **** with bc your players won't police themselves. So it makes you really ****ing pissed and makes you a dick to deal with. This is 100% on the players and they can make it better. Or Cann will make their life hell. Their choice.

Athletes today are becoming real pussies...
You don't believe me listen to some of HOF guys talk about the today athlete..

Cooterpoot
03-21-2017, 08:51 AM
I remember people bitching because Cohen was "too hard" or "too intense". Don't recruit pussies and you won't have that problem. Don't recruit kids that are "me" kids or have "my kid is THE super star" parents. There's a way you fix it. As for kids hating the coach, I've never seen a successful program when there's a lot of that. Successful programs have kids that respect the coach and appreciate the discipline. It's a fact of life that kids actually WANT discipline. If they don't, then they've got issues you aren't going to correct.
Plus, Power 5 athletics is a 40 hour job plus school. It's not for every kid that can pay ball. Some don't realize it until it's too late. Those are the ones that hate the coach, the work, the time away from friends, etc. etc.

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 08:55 AM
This is the most I have ever agreed with you. Spot on.

Well then enjoy the fact you are finally right on something.

msstate7
03-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Well then enjoy the fact you are finally right on something.

Can't help yourself, can you? Lol

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Can't help yourself, can you? Lol

He's as much of a dick as you are clueless. Which is a lot

ETA..Actually I may have used the wrong gender

CadaverDawg
03-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Guys some of y'all are taking this and letting your imagination and frustration get the best of you. Cann has total control, and he's making sure that guys are following team rules...especially while they're getting their asses whipped on the field. If you're disobeying normal baseball team rules while sucking on the field, you deserve that shit.

As for the players, I'm hearing Cyr is gone due to team rules violations. I won't expand, but apparently he's a good kid just made too many small strikes against team rules. Nothing HUGE, but a lot of small screw ups...too many to keep getting a pass.

I am hearing Mangum will be suspended for team rules violation. Nothing season ending or anything, just college kid doing something stupid, and getting punished. Don't overreact, I doubt it will be for many games or anything.

Yall quit acting like the program is falling apart...there's a lot of Fake News in this thread. A LOT. Not going to be some 3+ year rebuild. Don't believe everything you read. Cann is doing his job. Players that dislike him are the ones screwing up for the most part. PC is a different story but we all know that may change after this season. Relax. This is the furthest thing from inmates running the asylum...the FURTHEST thing from that. We're fine, Cann just isn't taking that shit especially while we're getting our teeth kicked in.

maroonmania
03-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Ron Polk, is that you??**

There are players on every team that hate the coach. Players who think they should be playing hate the coach. Players who are playing but think they should be starting hate the coach. Stars who think they are above the rules hate the coach.

At least we know that Cohen won't be working to undermine Cann so we spend 3 years fighting about who should be coach and who is yanking their donation.

Well all we ever heard the whole time Cohen was coach was that most of the players hated him. So, what else is new?

I seen it dawg
03-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Hahahahahaha

maroonmania
03-21-2017, 09:18 AM
I've often wondered why he gets a pass on this board. You never really see his name brought up when the board is going full meltdown. To me that says he's expendable.

Well good grief, with that logic we should sign Hevesy to a lifetime contract as our OL coach. ***

HSVDawg
03-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Guys some of y'all are taking this and letting your imagination and frustration get the best of you. Cann has total control, and he's making sure that guys are following team rules...especially while they're getting their asses whipped on the field. If you're disobeying normal baseball team rules while sucking on the field, you deserve that shit.

As for the players, I'm hearing Cyr is gone due to team rules violations. I won't expand, but apparently he's a good kid just made too many small strikes against team rules. Nothing HUGE, but a lot of small screw ups...too many to keep getting a pass.

I am hearing Mangum will be suspended for team rules violation. Nothing season ending or anything, just college kid doing something stupid, and getting punished. Don't overreact, I doubt it will be for many games or anything.

Yall quit acting like the program is falling apart...there's a lot of Fake News in this thread. A LOT. Not going to be some 3+ year rebuild. Don't believe everything you read. Cann is doing his job. Players that dislike him are the ones screwing up for the most part. PC is a different story but we all know that may change after this season. Relax. This is the furthest thing from inmates running the asylum...the FURTHEST thing from that. We're fine, Cann just isn't taking that shit especially while we're getting our teeth kicked in.

I heard Cyr was "kicked off the team" 2 weeks ago, but it was a situation where he might be allowed back. Then he pitched in one of the midweek games and I assumed all was well at that point. He must have f-ed up since coming back.

CadaverDawg
03-21-2017, 09:27 AM
I heard Cyr was "kicked off the team" 2 weeks ago, but it was a situation where he might be allowed back. Then he pitched in one of the midweek games and I assumed all was well at that point. He must have f-ed up since coming back.

Yep

Which should show everyone that this isn't a case of Cann being a dick. He's giving them chances, they're just using them up.

Homedawg
03-21-2017, 09:33 AM

He wasn't kicked off a few weeks back. He was told not to come to practice until he was called back. It was over a disagreement. That's all.

HSVDawg
03-21-2017, 09:39 AM
He wasn't kicked off a few weeks back. He was told not to come to practice until he was called back. It was over a disagreement. That's all.

Yeah, that is likely what happened (a suspension, more or less). He obviously wasn't kicked off permanently because he pitched again after the fact. But I think Cann has a way of wording things to these guys where guys are temporarily "off the team until XYZ happens" when in reality they are just suspended.

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Ahww, i guess they will go strike-out and blow saves for a coach that can APPRECIATE them!

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2017, 09:57 AM

And supposedly everyone hated Cohen when he first came here.

stalkingpoon
03-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Ahww, i guess they will go strike-out and blow saves for a coach that can APPRECIATE them!

These guys contributed big time last season so it's not like they are shitty players.

mstatefan91
03-21-2017, 10:03 AM
These guys contributed big time last season so it's not like they are shitty players.

I do not know the full situation, but being good not give any player the right to have a poor attitude and break team rules.

Recipe for multi-year disaster.

smootness
03-21-2017, 10:06 AM
He's got as much of a dick

Thank you.

ghostofjackie
03-21-2017, 10:09 AM
I think it's more a situation where he was going to be with Cohen whom he was comfortable with and then all of a sudden Cohen becomes AD and now he's with a head coach who doesn't really know him. Even worse, I think UK fired Henderson unfairly to be honest with you. It's a chemistry issue more than anything.

It's like Dan and Torbush.

We were the ones who decided to pull our defending SEC champion baseball coach from the field and put him in an office. We did this to ourselves.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Canny was also like Cohen because he gave 110% effort as a player and now as a coach. He maximized his ability and sometimes those type people don't accept people half assing anything. If he gets a team that all give max effort then we will be Hell on Wheels with the talent level they hopefully bring in. That is how Saban and Belichek are so good. Saban gets the best talent but you don't see any of them half ass ever or Saban might literally kill them on the sideline. That includes his coaching staff. Belichek gets guys who live and breath football because he does. He puts in 80 hours or more a week in football season. You can't do that for very long unless you love it.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Well, ya see...
What is that supposed to mean?

CadaverDawg
03-21-2017, 10:23 AM
What is that supposed to mean?

He was saying it ain't gonna be Cyr, since he's gone

tireddawg
03-21-2017, 10:42 AM

I agree, the program isn't falling apart, & we need to be patient, but we're about 3 years away from competing to go to Omaha. Maybe 2 but 3 seems more reasonable. You disagree with that?

maroonmania
03-21-2017, 10:50 AM

The guys that played well last year for the most part are playing well this year (Rooker, Mangum, Gridley, Pilk). Cyr did well in midweek games last year but has looked bad for the most part this year when pitching against better teams so we will certainly survive losing him. Besides Pilk and Cyr, most of the other pitchers are all new. The other returning pitchers are all out with injuries.

CadaverDawg
03-21-2017, 11:09 AM
I agree, the program isn't falling apart, & we need to be patient, but we're about 3 years away from competing to go to Omaha. Maybe 2 but 3 seems more reasonable. You disagree with that?

Depends on the TJ arms and recruiting class imo. If we can't rely on any TJ guys next year and/or the draft shreds a great recruiting class, then yea. But if we get guys like Small, Padgett, Ford, James, etc back to 100% and get most of our recruits on campus...we could compete next year.

The one thing we have going for us is this season is forcing guys to grow up quick. Adding an experienced Barton, Self, McQuary, Plumlee, Ashcraft, Barlow, etc to guys like James, Small, Padgett, Ford, etc and any returning veterans, could lead to one of the deepest and most talented staffs in the country the next 2 years. We just need the hitters to grow up and get better, and our immediate impact recruits to make it to campus. I could see it going both ways depending on those results.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-21-2017, 11:13 AM
He was saying it ain't gonna be Cyr, since he's gone
Yea if I would have finished the thread before asking I would have known..ha

shoeless joe
03-21-2017, 11:43 AM
You mean there's more to coaching baseball than throwing BP, hittin fungo, and making out a line-up?!?!?
Damn...coulda fooled me

MadDawg
03-21-2017, 11:45 AM
****ing coastal Carolina has a national title and we are 3 ******* years away from maybe sneaking into a regional again. Think about that. Fresno ****ing st has a natty and we can't piece together more than maybe 1 contender every 3-4 years then have to go thru a full rebuild. It's pathetic, there's no excuses for being where we are now with our resources, fan support, and history, especially being so ****ing close to a title in 2013, took 3 years to rebuild a contender and we ****ed up in the regionals, and now we are looking at a 3 year rebuild to maybe make a regional. Terrible.

Apparently we are 3-4 year rebuild after hiring any coach in any sport no matter the situation they come into.

Dawg61
03-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Can Gordon try pitching cause he sure as shit can't hit

hailstate17
03-21-2017, 11:50 AM
I think some of you are going to be surprised how much better we are next year. Give Cannizaro an offseason with these guys. It's tough on the coach and players when the coach has such a different offensive philosophy from Cohen because he only got a handful of practices with them in the fall. I firmly believe we will be much better next year. Guys like Poole, Blaylock, Skelton, Gordon, Bragg, Stovall, possibly Mangum, Alexander all have talent. I expect them all to improve in the offseason. Think about the difference in 2015 to 2016. All we added was Lowe, Kruger, and Mangum. Guys like Hump, Rooker, Robson, Gridley, Collins, Hudson, Sexton, and others got much better after a year of experience. Some of you need to calm down with the three year rebuild.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2017, 11:56 AM
We're at least 2 years from being decent. We don't have the stud arms right now and we will lose our best position players. Throw in the fact we can't play at home a lot next year and the fact we'll be breaking in some new guys and all of a sudden, it's complete rebuild mode. We're in complete rebuild mode. When we talk about disciplining kids and changing asst. coaches.....rebuild.

Percho
03-21-2017, 12:09 PM
You do not have to love your coach but you do have to respect him while playing for him. Then you can love him after having played for him.

I should have majored in.....................something!

biggun
03-21-2017, 12:27 PM
We will definitely be back hosting a regional next season. In addition, with a couple of breaks (Lord knows we are due quite a few) we will also have a shot at hosting a super next year as well.

Most of you currently bitching about Cann were also the same idiots predicting gloom and doom before last season while also wanting Cohen fired.

Get a life. Seriously.

msbulldog
03-21-2017, 12:29 PM
He's as much of a dick as you are clueless. Which is a lot

ETA..Actually I may have used the wrong gender

Damn I seen it, you on a roll today.

msbulldog
03-21-2017, 12:40 PM
A coach is a captain and he can't have a mutiny or he lose's his ship. Discipline is absolutely necessary.

Dawg61
03-21-2017, 12:51 PM
We will definitely be back hosting a regional next season.

I'll take that bet. This isn't MLB free agency and we don't have Epstein willing to spend $200 mill on new players. We have suffered the wrath of the worst serial arm killer in baseball history and we can't hit for shit. We will struggle to even go 6-24 in the SEC this year. We'd have to have a historical increase in play next year to host a regional. Not happening. Oh and Cann has no clue how to manage a pitching staff. This has now become a multiyear rebuild.

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2017, 01:09 PM
I think some of you are going to be surprised how much better we are next year. Give Cannizaro an offseason with these guys. It's tough on the coach and players when the coach has such a different offensive philosophy from Cohen because he only got a handful of practices with them in the fall. I firmly believe we will be much better next year. Guys like Poole, Blaylock, Skelton, Gordon, Bragg, Stovall, possibly Mangum, Alexander all have talent. I expect them all to improve in the offseason. Think about the difference in 2015 to 2016. All we added was Lowe, Kruger, and Mangum. Guys like Hump, Rooker, Robson, Gridley, Collins, Hudson, Sexton, and others got much better after a year of experience. Some of you need to calm down with the three year rebuild.

Correct - Our players make huge leaps with experience. Hump, Rooker, Renfroe, Frazier, Robson, and Hudson were not extremely high performers as freshmen and some barely contributed at all. Renfroe and Robson were sub-mendoza. Hump was a 220 hitter. Hudson was mid-week relief, at best. Rooker was redshirted and still had a rough Mendoza red-shirt freshman season.

The great Freshmen like Mangum, Chris George, and Collins are very rare.

I predict Skelton, Self, Aschraft, McQuary and Alexander will be stud-bolts next year.

smootness
03-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Correct - Our players make huge leaps with experience. Hump, Rooker, Renfroe, Frazier, Robson, and Hudson were not extremely high performers as freshmen and some barely contributed at all. Renfroe and Robson were sub-mendoza. Hump was a 220 hitter. Hudson was mid-week relief, at best. Rooker was redshirted and still had a rough Mendoza red-shirt freshman season.

The great Freshmen like Mangum, Chris George, and Collins are very rare.

I predict Skelton, Self, Aschraft, McQuary and Alexander will be stud-bolts next year.

Even Collins had very little pop as a freshman.

College baseball players, generally speaking, get much, much better with 1-2 years of experience. Those who just see a freshman or a guy in his first year that isn't performing all that well and say, 'Eh, he's not talented,' don't understand that.

dawgs
03-21-2017, 01:21 PM
To be clear, my rant isn't about cann, a lot of our problems were put into motion long before he was hired. I am just frustrated that we don't seem to be able to have a consistent contender with a real shot at going to Omaha. We can win a natty, but it can't be a cycle where we are somewhere between suck and mediocre for 2 years, every 3rd year finally have a good season, and then lose in the regionals or CWS because our guys don't have the the experience on that stage because we apparently need 2+ years to develop talent into being contenders. Why can't we find a balance of experienced and young talent where the best freshman are playing and contributing but we also have talent upper classmen to lead the team, and the freshmen not ready to play immediately can ride the bench in a backup role or redshirt. The next year, we have some experienced freshmen ready to take over leadership roles, some sophs and rs freshmen that have been developing to take over some on field roles, and some true freshmen that are either ready to play immediately or need to go the developmental route. Seems like we go from a loaded junior class to losing everyone, then have to build again until we have a loaded junior class again, then lose everyone again, rinse and repeat indefinitely. I get it in football because we aren't Alabama, we can't just reload year after year (Mullen has done a better job of making sure our rebuild years aren't as bad as rebuild years would be prior to his arrival), but in baseball, we shouldn't have these deep valleys. We should be have peaks and our rebuilding years/valleys should be 2 or 3 seeds in a regional, not totally lost seasons.

smootness
03-21-2017, 01:34 PM
To be clear, my rant isn't about cann, a lot of our problems were put into motion long before he was hired. I am just frustrated that we don't seem to be able to have a consistent contender with a real shot at going to Omaha. We can win a natty, but it can't be a cycle where we are somewhere between suck and mediocre for 2 years, every 3rd year finally have a good season, and then lose in the regionals or CWS because our guys don't have the the experience on that stage because we apparently need 2+ years to develop talent into being contenders. Why can't we find a balance of experienced and young talent where the best freshman are playing and contributing but we also have talent upper classmen to lead the team, and the freshmen not ready to play immediately can ride the bench in a backup role or redshirt. The next year, we have some experienced freshmen ready to take over leadership roles, some sophs and rs freshmen that have been developing to take over some on field roles, and some true freshmen that are either ready to play immediately or need to go the developmental route. Seems like we go from a loaded junior class to losing everyone, then have to build again until we have a loaded junior class again, then lose everyone again, rinse and repeat indefinitely. I get it in football because we aren't Alabama, we can't just reload year after year (Mullen has done a better job of making sure our rebuild years aren't as bad as rebuild years would be prior to his arrival), but in baseball, we shouldn't have these deep valleys. We should be have peaks and our rebuilding years/valleys should be 2 or 3 seeds in a regional, not totally lost seasons.

But that hasn't really been the way it's worked. It's just 2015 and this year that we're talking about. I think most would take the 2011-2014 stretch and even the 2011-2016 stretch overall. I agree that a program like ours shouldn't have years like 2015 and this year except under rare circumstances. 2015 doesn't necessarily qualify, we just got caught in the position you talk about without quality juniors but, combined with the JUCO class the next year, it led to a huge junior class in 2016. That is also somewhat the cause of this year, but we also do have the extremely rare circumstances of so many pitchers being down.

So it was really one mistake in not having balanced classes in 2015 that has partially led to this year as well. Other than that, we've been fine. There really hasn't been some kind of repeated cycle, every program goes through natural ups and downs. Look at all the recent national champs - South Carolina, Arizona, UCLA, Virginia. They've all had downs, if not quite as down as 2015 for us. Vandy is the only program who hasn't really had it happen, and we all know the reason for that - and even they aren't that good this year.

sandwolf
03-21-2017, 01:42 PM
We will struggle to even go 6-24 in the SEC this year. We'd have to have a historical increase in play next year to host a regional. Not happening.I agree that it's unlikely, but that is pretty much exactly what happened with the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

dawgs
03-21-2017, 02:04 PM
But that hasn't really been the way it's worked. It's just 2015 and this year that we're talking about. I think most would take the 2011-2014 stretch and even the 2011-2016 stretch overall. I agree that a program like ours shouldn't have years like 2015 and this year except under rare circumstances. 2015 doesn't necessarily qualify, we just got caught in the position you talk about without quality juniors but, combined with the JUCO class the next year, it led to a huge junior class in 2016. That is also somewhat the cause of this year, but we also do have the extremely rare circumstances of so many pitchers being down.

So it was really one mistake in not having balanced classes in 2015 that has partially led to this year as well. Other than that, we've been fine. There really hasn't been some kind of repeated cycle, every program goes through natural ups and downs. Look at all the recent national champs - South Carolina, Arizona, UCLA, Virginia. They've all had downs, if not quite as down as 2015 for us. Vandy is the only program who hasn't really had it happen, and we all know the reason for that - and even they aren't that good this year.

Except those programs have titles for their troubles. It's ridiculous we don't have one and until we do, I'm going to be furious every time we waste a year instead of potentially finally getting ours. We've been better longer than many of those programs, yet coastal Carolina is a champion and we are an also-ran.

As for 2011-2016, no I wouldn't take that. I want to be in Omaha more than once every 6 years. I want to be a national seed more than once every 6 seasons. I want titles and we simply aren't putting ourselves in the best position to win titles on a consistent basis.

AusTexDawg
03-21-2017, 02:06 PM
We will definitely be back hosting a regional next season.

I'll take that bet.

Don't forget that monster RPI we'll have with no home games before SEC play***

CadaverDawg
03-21-2017, 02:07 PM
I'm guessing McQuary is going to start tonight

smootness
03-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Except those programs have titles for their troubles. It's ridiculous we don't have one and until we do, I'm going to be furious every time we waste a year instead of potentially finally getting ours. We've been better longer than many of those programs, yet coastal Carolina is a champion and we are an also-ran.

As for 2011-2016, no I wouldn't take that. I want to be in Omaha more than once every 6 years. I want to be a national seed more than once every 6 seasons. I want titles and we simply aren't putting ourselves in the best position to win titles on a consistent basis.

So you want us to be one of the top 3-4 programs in the country? I mean, I definitely want that, too, but I'm not going to be upset if we're not there.

You're asking us to be even more consistent than national title winners. It just seems unreasonable.

dawgs
03-21-2017, 02:21 PM
South Carolina since 2000 has been in the regionals 16 of 17 seasons, they have 2 natty's and 2 runner-ups in 6 CWS appearances, and they've won the sec or sec east 6 times. Their down year in 2015, they went 32-25 (13-17). So yeah, if that was our track record, I wouldn't be frustrated. The fact that it isn't our track record is why I'm frustrated. Not only have they passed us in prestige, they are running laps around us. Meanwhile, programs with literally no history can win titles and we can't even field competive teams for the 2nd time in 3 years.

dawgs
03-21-2017, 02:22 PM
So you want us to be one of the top 3-4 programs in the country? I mean, I definitely want that, too, but I'm not going to be upset if we're not there.

You're asking us to be even more consistent than national title winners. It just seems unreasonable.

No, I want us to be a national title winner. Which isn't not unreasonable.

dawgs
03-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Coastal Carolina winning a title pissed me off last year. It was a huge turning point for me in baseball. I'm all for the underdogs and the little guys most of the times, especially in football and basketball (where we aren't ever going to have the resources to be a consistent top 10-type power program), but that's not where we should stand in baseball. As I said, I don't blame Cann for this year, getting hired mid-fall and a lots of this shit was set in motion before he took over, and I think he can be a great coach, but it's more of a general frustration at the state of the program. We aren't a plucky mid-major or non-traditional power conference program trying to make the leap, we were one of the programs that made college baseball what it is today. We have unquestionably the best fan support in the country. We should have multiple national titles, and until we do I will be pissed every season we don't. Coastal Carolina winning a title last year was just salt in the wound. its embarrassing.

smootness
03-21-2017, 02:38 PM
No, I want us to be a national title winner. Which isn't not unreasonable.

Sure, I want the same thing. But 3 SR in 6 years and one CWS run all the way to the title series gives you at least halfway decent odds of winning a national title. If you can't be ok with results like that over a 4-6 year span, then I'm not sure rooting for State baseball is worth it.

smootness
03-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Coastal Carolina winning a title last year was just salt in the wound. its embarrassing.

It really isn't, man. It's not like they did something last year that a bunch of other schools also did but we didn't. They did something that no other team/program in the country did last year. So they were better than LSU, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arizona State, UCLA, and a million other great programs didn't do.

Sure, it sucks to some degree to see that Coastal Carolina now has a national title and we don't, but it doesn't make it embarrassing that we haven't won one. It just means that Coastal Carolina did something that is very, very hard to do.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2017, 02:41 PM
I'm guessing McQuary is going to start tonight

He is and Braley is starting for USM. Let's see if we can hit a fastball.....

dawgs
03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
It really isn't, man. It's not like they did something last year that a bunch of other schools also did but we didn't. They did something that no other team/program in the country did last year. So they were better than LSU, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arizona State, UCLA, and a million other great programs didn't do.

Sure, it sucks to some degree to see that Coastal Carolina now has a national title and we don't, but it doesn't make it embarrassing that we haven't won one. It just means that Coastal Carolina did something that is very, very hard to do.

It's not that they did something no other program didn't do last year, it's that they've done some we have never done last year. Vandy, lsu, asu, ucla, and South Carolina have combined for how many titles? Has to be at least 20 or so. They've all been to the top of the mountain multiple times. We never have and it pisses me off.

MafiaDawg
03-21-2017, 05:35 PM
What rule did jake break between Sunday night and Monday? He pitched Sunday so he must've been in good standing then?

louisvilledawg
03-21-2017, 06:15 PM
It's not that they did something no other program didn't do last year, it's that they've done some we have never done last year. Vandy, lsu, asu, ucla, and South Carolina have combined for how many titles? Has to be at least 20 or so. They've all been to the top of the mountain multiple times. We never have and it pisses me off.

True. We sure beat our chest about being a baseball school, and have nothing to show for it except some draft picks, some sec championships, and some colossal "almost/shoulda" been there teams.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-21-2017, 06:20 PM

I would like to think we're working our way up to the consistency that you (and everyone else) are hoping for. After being content with mediocrity during the 2000s and eventually imploding at the end of Polk II, it's going to be a process and there will be bumps in the road. If we didn't lose an ungodly amount of pitchers to arm injuries this season, we would very easily have a 2015 South Carolina type year. And you would probably still be here complaining about it.

As for being pissed about Costal Carolina winning a title-- they've made 11 regionals since 2001. They're a better program than you're giving them credit for. They had a good team and caught fire at the perfect time. That's baseball.

dawgs
03-21-2017, 06:31 PM
I would like to think we're working our way up to the consistency that you (and everyone else) are hoping for. After being content with mediocrity during the 2000s and eventually imploding at the end of Polk II, it's going to be a process and there will be bumps in the road. If we didn't lose an ungodly amount of pitchers to arm injuries this season, we would very easily have a 2015 South Carolina type year. And you would probably still be here complaining about it.

As for being pissed about Costal Carolina winning a title-- they've made 11 regionals since 2001. They're a better program than you're giving them credit for. They had a good team and caught fire at the perfect time. That's baseball.

We've put way more into our program than coastal Carolina and should expect greater returns than coastal Carolina.

NewDawg
03-22-2017, 04:23 PM
Talk to a pitcher on the staff. They'd rather have Johnson back in a heartbeat, even as bad as y'all talk about him

HaHa! Not the ones that played for him other than the one that started and he worked with.

KB21
03-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Even Collins had very little pop as a freshman.

College baseball players, generally speaking, get much, much better with 1-2 years of experience. Those who just see a freshman or a guy in his first year that isn't performing all that well and say, 'Eh, he's not talented,' don't understand that.

This. Not every freshman is Jake Mangum as far as AVG goes or Seth Beer relative to power. Dansby Swanson got 16 ABs at a true freshman at Vanderbilt. Andrew Benintendi was a .270 hitter with 1 HR as a freshman. These are two of the top 3 prospects in baseball now.

Todd4State
03-22-2017, 05:01 PM
After watching us play last night- I don't think this is going to be a 2-3 year rebuild. If we had half the Tommy John surgeries we've had that alone would improve us a good bit. Taking Rigby out even though he has a groin issue hurts us a lot too. We're not getting blown out like Polk's team his last year or Cohen's his first two- we're losing a lot of 1-2 run games for the most part. Now, that said this team could certainly fall apart and get frustrated over the course of the next nine weeks and then we might get blown out then- but as of now that's not happening. If we're winning we also probably have fewer discipline problems as well or at least the need to make an example out of someone. Also this team right now in the field and on the mound is relying a lot on freshmen, sophomores, and new JUCO's- most of the Cohen's and Polk's bad teams were upperclassmen with maybe the exception of Cohen's 2015 team and we saw what happened to them in 2016.

And I'm not saying that there aren't offensive issues- but last night we only struck out 7 times and 3 of those were by Blaylock.

It may not be a rebuild- but I think it will be a reboot. We'll have a new stadium, probably some new coaches, and then we'll just have to see what happens with the draft as far as who we get coming in, who leaves, and also we have to see which pitchers come back from injury as we should start to see some of that starting to happen next year with Parker Ford, Andrew Mahoney, and maybe Noah Hughes and Jared Padgett the first up.

was21
03-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Once a guy has been a head corch, and in this case having worked for the current AD, it's likely that some separation is in order.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-22-2017, 05:47 PM
After watching us play last night- I don't think this is going to be a 2-3 year rebuild. If we had half the Tommy John surgeries we've had that alone would improve us a good bit. Taking Rigby out even though he has a groin issue hurts us a lot too. We're not getting blown out like Polk's team his last year or Cohen's his first two- we're losing a lot of 1-2 run games for the most part. Now, that said this team could certainly fall apart and get frustrated over the course of the next nine weeks and then we might get blown out then- but as of now that's not happening. If we're winning we also probably have fewer discipline problems as well or at least the need to make an example out of someone. Also this team right now in the field and on the mound is relying a lot on freshmen, sophomores, and new JUCO's- most of the Cohen's and Polk's bad teams were upperclassmen with maybe the exception of Cohen's 2015 team and we saw what happened to them in 2016.

And I'm not saying that there aren't offensive issues- but last night we only struck out 7 times and 3 of those were by Blaylock.

It may not be a rebuild- but I think it will be a reboot. We'll have a new stadium, probably some new coaches, and then we'll just have to see what happens with the draft as far as who we get coming in, who leaves, and also we have to see which pitchers come back from injury as we should start to see some of that starting to happen next year with Parker Ford, Andrew Mahoney, and maybe Noah Hughes and Jared Padgett the first up.

The situation certainly isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. If we had only lost 1-2 pitchers to tommy john rather than 7 + another with a groin problem, we would have had a great pitching staff and I think we could have finished within a few games of .500 in SEC play. But we are going to have to have some hitters step up for next season, which doesn't seem unreasonable to assume will happen.

What is the time frame on all of our TJ victims? I assumed all of them minus the 2 who have gone down since the season started would be ready to go or working back into being 100% by the beginning of next season. You seem to think otherwise..and I don't remember when each one got the surgery.

Todd4State
03-22-2017, 06:02 PM
The situation certainly isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. If we had only lost 1-2 pitchers to tommy john rather than 7 + another with a groin problem, we would have had a great pitching staff and I think we could have finished within a few games of .500 in SEC play. But we are going to have to have some hitters step up for next season, which doesn't seem unreasonable to assume will happen.

What is the time frame on all of our TJ victims? I assumed all of them minus the 2 who have gone down since the season started would be ready to go or working back into being 100% by the beginning of next season. You seem to think otherwise..and I don't remember when each one got the surgery.

I can already tell you right now that we won't get all of them back by next season.

Ford and Mahoney are back but they're going to need this year to recover.

Noah Hughes will probably pitch some this summer in limited action. Not sure where yet. He's probably the closest besides the two I mentioned above to coming back.

Jared Padgett had Tommy John either in July or August. He should be able to participate in fall ball if all goes well and I think he will probably be about where Ford and Mahoney are right now next year, so probably 2018 for him.

Ethan Small had Tommy John during the fall sometime- I want to say October or November. He may be able to participate some in fall ball and then should be able to participate in the spring. Again, I expect him to be where Ford and Mahoney are now and then after pitching in the summer somewhere probably 2019 for him.

Keegan James and Kale Breaux both had their surgery this year so by this time next year, they are going to be about where Noah Hughes is right now. Well- Keegan should be able to pitch in very limited action but it will be about like Ford and Mahoney at best so maybe slightly ahead of where Hughes is right now. They'll probably be ready in 2019.

The other one is Blake Smith and his career is most likely over unless he finds an Independent League team or something like that in a couple of years. And his career is certainly over for us.

The Federalist Engineer
03-22-2017, 07:22 PM
This. Not every freshman is Jake Mangum as far as AVG goes or Seth Beer relative to power. Dansby Swanson got 16 ABs at a true freshman at Vanderbilt. Andrew Benintendi was a .270 hitter with 1 HR as a freshman. These are two of the top 3 prospects in baseball now.

True - By the way, Seth Beer is a 250 hitter this year, but season is young

The Federalist Engineer
03-22-2017, 07:43 PM

I think the best approach is consider them to be recovering for the 2018 draft and we are just their rehab location. If we get some performance that will be a bonus. Basically something between Paul Young and Brandon Woodruff. I am happy to be wrong here, but I would not want our coaches to bank on the TJs being war horses for MSU.

On top of the long recovery, you have their near total lack of experience. Padgett will come back with 2 innings of pitching experience and draft eligible. Same for Small, limited experience getting shelled last year and draft eligible. They are basically freshmen again and they were not really star freshmen like Chris George or Jonathan Holder.

I think our aspirations are better invested in the development of Ashcraft, Self, and McQuary. If our big recruit Bryant comes to campus, him too. That said, some colleges like TCU and LSU seem to get a career from TJs.

KB21
03-22-2017, 09:36 PM
I think the best approach is consider them to be recovering for the 2018 draft and we are just their rehab location. If we get some performance that will be a bonus. Basically something between Paul Young and Brandon Woodruff. I am happy to be wrong here, but I would not want our coaches to bank on the TJs being war horses for MSU.

On top of the long recovery, you have their near total lack of experience. Padgett will come back with 2 innings of pitching experience and draft eligible. Same for Small, limited experience getting shelled last year and draft eligible. They are basically freshmen again and they were not really star freshmen like Chris George or Jonathan Holder.

I think our aspirations are better invested in the development of Ashcraft, Self, and McQuary. If our big recruit Bryant comes to campus, him too. That said, some colleges like TCU and LSU seem to get a career from TJs.

There's a reason for that. Approximately 80% of players who receive Tommy John surgery end up back at their previous level of play. So, we can probably anticipate that 1-2 of our current injuries to not be back, but we should expect 4-5 of them back, IMO. It may not be in 2018, so that year will have to be augmented by what we have on campus and what is coming in.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-22-2017, 09:43 PM
I can already tell you right now that we won't get all of them back by next season.

Ford and Mahoney are back but they're going to need this year to recover.

Noah Hughes will probably pitch some this summer in limited action. Not sure where yet. He's probably the closest besides the two I mentioned above to coming back.

Jared Padgett had Tommy John either in July or August. He should be able to participate in fall ball if all goes well and I think he will probably be about where Ford and Mahoney are right now next year, so probably 2018 for him.

Ethan Small had Tommy John during the fall sometime- I want to say October or November. He may be able to participate some in fall ball and then should be able to participate in the spring. Again, I expect him to be where Ford and Mahoney are now and then after pitching in the summer somewhere probably 2019 for him.

Keegan James and Kale Breaux both had their surgery this year so by this time next year, they are going to be about where Noah Hughes is right now. Well- Keegan should be able to pitch in very limited action but it will be about like Ford and Mahoney at best so maybe slightly ahead of where Hughes is right now. They'll probably be ready in 2019.

The other one is Blake Smith and his career is most likely over unless he finds an Independent League team or something like that in a couple of years. And his career is certainly over for us.
Gotcha, thanks for the run down. We've had so many I couldn't remember what order they had happened in. I forgot Blake Smith was a juco guy, he was going to be back at some point in my mind.

Todd4State
03-23-2017, 12:44 AM

Based on other schools who have had pitchers with Tommy John who have come back and had success in college- I'm hoping to get one year out of them. Like KB said- statistically 1-2 won't ever make it back. With our MSU luck make it will probably be more than that.

Absolutely we should be invested in developing Ashcraft, Self, and McQuary. All three look very promising. We have some JUCO pitchers that might be able to help too- at least we need them to.

The only thing that will help us with the experience factor is summer ball. Some of our guys will get to play in those while they are recovering- and that will help some.

Getting one good year out of guys is basically just like when Butch was here.

Todd4State
03-23-2017, 12:44 AM
Gotcha, thanks for the run down. We've had so many I couldn't remember what order they had happened in. I forgot Blake Smith was a juco guy, he was going to be back at some point in my mind.

Absolutely!

bulldogcountry1
03-23-2017, 08:15 AM
As disappointed as I am, I agree that things probably aren't as bad as some are making them out to be. Of course, I don't know what's going on in the clubhouse. Things could go south really quickly if that isn't kept under control. I have faith in A.C., being a young HC and a good recruiter. Maybe he came in and was a bit too loose with the players to start with, and it kind of set a tone that he's having to reel in. He'll get that under control.

Even with all the preseason TJ losses, if we still had our opening day allotment of players, we would be very much competing for a regional.

Smith
Rigby
Stovall
Marrero
Breaux
Ford

But it's clear to see now that Smith and Breaux were never healthy. The biggest surprise to me is the lack of hitting, not pitching. Since the Marist game, the pitching staff has done more than enough to keep us in games. In the 7 losses since then, the staff has averaged 4.0 ER/game, and we have averaged 2.3 runs scored/game. So, I think we need to back off blaming Henderson and all the injuries right now, and look at the offensive side.