PDA

View Full Version : "There's only one team in this state on the rise"

Reason2succeed
03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
When Mullen offered those prophetic words after that Egg Bowl it sent OM into a fury. They retooled the Network and doubled down with their Forward Rebel initiative to "take back their State". We now know what happened. They went "all in" in cheating and are now about to be mercilessly crippled by the NCAA.

This will leave Mississippi State in a position we have rarely if ever been in: as the only viable college football program in Mississippi. We usually think about our SEC brethren when we talk about this subject but we often forget that not too long ago Southern Miss was siphoning off some legit D1 talent. We also forget that before desegregation and even for a few decades after the Swac teams were still finding players like Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, and Walter Payton right up under our nose.

This time. Not only is OM going to be hobbled but USM is a non-factor and the SWAC schools are in a different division of football. I don't see why State could not and should not be able to get the extra three or four players per year that are normally bound for OM and increase our talent profile tremendously.

gravedigger
03-20-2017, 07:24 PM
When Mullen offered those prophetic words after that Egg Bowl it sent OM into a fury. They retooled the Network and doubled down with their Forward Rebel initiative to "take back their State". We now know what happened. They went "all in" in cheating and are now about to be mercilessly crippled by the NCAA.

This will leave Mississippi State in a position we have rarely if ever been in: as the only viable college football program in Mississippi. We usually think about our SEC brethren when we talk about this subject but we often forget that not too long ago Southern Miss was siphoning off some legit D1 talent. We also forget that before desegregation and even for a few decades after the Swac teams were still finding players like Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, and Walter Payton right up under our nose.

This time. Not only is OM going to be hobbled but USM is a non-factor and the SWAC schools are in a different division of football. I don't see why State could not and should not be able to get the extra three or four players per year that are normally bound for OM and increase our talent profile tremendously.

I say 2011. It followed 2009 that was their preseason #4 that ended in the first week. 2010 that held so much promise with Masoli until Jacksonville State. And a home field egg bookend. But the 2011 broke their back. They had just hit the ms "homerun" with CJ, Brassell and Singleton. But they sucked. Worse than expected. That bottom moment created a fury. It lead to an all out athletics department makeover that was complicit with brining in the highest profile recruits and making sure the nation heard about it. Nutt failed, but the next guy wouldn't. Didn't matter it it was Gilligan. He could just stand there.

That sum bush Mullen was gonna pay.

Enter one div II ex girls be coach and no prob.

WSOPdawg
03-20-2017, 08:05 PM

Agree 100%. And what I'm most excited about is 3 or 4 players per year is 12-16 top-notch, more-talented players each year on our roster (compared to our current talent levels) once we run through a 4-year cycle. This has the potential to be HUGE for us!!!