PDA

View Full Version : I posed this question to a post on the pack, so I'll post it here....

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-20-2017, 10:39 AM
to get your thoughts.

I've bitten my toungue for a couple weeks now because I knew folks would jump on me saying it was too early to tell, etc., instead of hearing my message....

But do you think Cohen knew this was coming and got out when he could? If Cohen were in the dugout right now, folks would be clamoring for his head, especially with a new ballpark coming. I'll answer my question by saying, yes, he did know this was about to happen and jumped at the chance for AD when Stricklin left and did everything to get Stricklin's backing. I think he's sleeping a lot better than he would have been had he still been the skipper.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:43 AM
I think he knew it would be a down year, but that's not why he took the AD job. We would likely be about 14-7 with John and this team would have fit his small ball style better than it does AC's free swinging style.

So I see why some might think that, but in my opinion the answer is no. I don't think that had anything to do with him taking the AD job

WSOPdawg
03-20-2017, 10:44 AM
I don't think so b/c no way he coulda known about all of the arm injuries. Heck, if we only have 3 (of the 7 TJ) pitchers healthy on this team, we're better even if we couldn't hit our way out of a wet paper bag. No way he could have known Krueger would bolt as he absolutely blew up last year. Add Krueger back behind the dish and we're immensely better.

I just think it sux to be us this year as that was a lot of attrition from last year's SEC regular season champs.

Cooterpoot
03-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Well, he left an inconsistent baseball program and he now oversees a football program that is down from a few years ago, a basketball program that just isn't very good, and that same baseball program that is going to struggle for another year or so. I'd say he better figure things out or he'll be on the hot seat anyway.

SDDawg
03-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Cohen let MSU down with this transition. It's been very poorly managed overall and the timing stinks. I'm a huge Cohen supporter but his stint as AD will always be tainted to me based on this year's baseball collapse. Completely unacceptable.

thf24
03-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Cohen let MSU down with this transition. It's been very poorly managed overall and the timing stinks. I'm a huge Cohen supporter but his stint as AD will always be tainted to me based on this year's baseball collapse. Completely unacceptable.

You realize that this was generally predicted to be a down year BEFORE the freak number of TJ casualties, right? Whether Cohen had remained the baseball coach or became AD had no bearing on it.

LC Dawg
03-20-2017, 11:12 AM
I think Cohen would have taken the AD job if we had gone to the CWS last year and returned everyone this year.
The timing of the AD opening hurt the baseball program but if you want to be pissed at someone about that be pissed at Stricklin, not Cohen.

smootness
03-20-2017, 11:17 AM
I don't think you make a drastic career change just because the next year at your current job looks like it won't be a great one. I think he apparently had his sights set on being an AD, especially at State, had the opportunity in front of him, and took it. I also think he saw it as an opportunity to get a guy he really believes in to take over the baseball program that he is now ultimately in charge of.

SDDawg
03-20-2017, 11:17 AM
You realize that this was generally predicted to be a down year BEFORE the freak number of TJ casualties, right? Whether Cohen had remained the baseball coach or became AD had no bearing on it.

I do realize that. But I also realize that we have hired the wrong coach to replace Cohen that is unable to produce with the players we have. Everyone knows that Cohen would have a stronger record with the current group and give us a better chance to be competitive. The baseball program will be down for several years to come based on this decision and it's disappointing. I also think that Cohen has a hand in the TJs due to Wes, but that's for a different post.

SDDawg
03-20-2017, 11:20 AM
I think Cohen would have taken the AD job if we had gone to the CWS last year and returned everyone this year.
The timing of the AD opening hurt the baseball program but if you want to be pissed at someone about that be pissed at Stricklin, not Cohen.

Stricklin sucks. He gets credit for Women's basketball, but nothing else. He set every other MSU sport back and I believe Cohen will be a much better AD. I'm a Cohen fan as I mentioned, but deeply disappointed in his baseball hire and will continue to be until we see some spark of life. Right now, they're dead.

msstate7
03-20-2017, 11:24 AM
To answer that question, maybe ask this one... would cohen have pursued the AD job if Kruger, Lowe, Collins, Hudson, and Robson have said they were coming back? If Cohen would've coached in that scenario, then the roster had at least something to do with wanting the AD job

shoeless joe
03-20-2017, 12:12 PM
I do realize that. But I also realize that we have hired the wrong coach to replace Cohen that is unable to produce with the players we have. Everyone knows that Cohen would have a stronger record with the current group and give us a better chance to be competitive. The baseball program will be down for several years to come based on this decision and it's disappointing. I also think that Cohen has a hand in the TJs due to Wes, but that's for a different post.

You've already decided cann was a bad hire? Who could we have gotten that would be exponentially better and have us with a much better record? Obviously there have been and are going to be some growing pains with an inexperienced coach but how you have already determined that he's a bad coach is beyond me.

Full disclosure: I'm a huge Cohen supporter

Dawg61
03-20-2017, 12:26 PM
IMO Cohen just took the AD job to oversee building the new park and ensuring the funds for it. Once the new park is built he's gonna step-down as AD and be our baseball coach again. However long that takes is however long Cann will be HC here.

mstatefan91
03-20-2017, 12:30 PM
IMO Cohen just took the AD job to oversee building the new park and ensuring the funds for it. Once the new park is built he's gonna step-down as AD and be our baseball coach again. However long that takes is however long Cann will be HC here.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/7143a670544381ee0dac141ca1d38614/tumblr_mzys8nfrxf1st18yzo1_400.gif

Ifyouonlyknew
03-20-2017, 12:35 PM
I think Cohen took the AD job because that's been a goal of his the last 3-4 years. He just didn't come out & let it be known to everyone because he would've been killed for it.

msbulldog
03-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Cohen had nothing to do with SS getting offered the Florida job, but he saw an opportunity to get a job that was his lifelong ambition. That job opportunity probably come only once in his lifetime.
Ain't nobody happy about baseball right now, but you can't blame anyone, just really bad luck. Give Canny a chance, lord he's only been here about 6 months.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 12:36 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4289723/you-serious-clark-o.gif

lamont
03-20-2017, 12:48 PM
From what I was told:

Cohen was bored with coaching baseball. He wanted another challenge in life. The AD job coming open was great timing. Cohen didn't plan to be our baseball coach a couple years from now anyway- was just looking for the right challenge for him at this point of his life

rbdog82
03-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Cohen has wanted to get into some sort of a athletic department role for a long time. The opportunity presented itself, and he took it.

bulldogcountry1
03-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Obviously Cohen was thinking about becoming and AD at some point. Being MSU AD was his dream job. He said so. I don't think the state of the baseball team had anything to do with it. He probably knew that the opportunity would not come up again for years and years. It was just convenient for him to win the SEC and get a promotion before you have another down year.

But I was thinking about it's a bit weird that the guy who is partially directly responsible for the baseball situation is our AD. I try to imagine the end of season conversation between Cohen and Cannizaro. Normally, the AD, would be saying something like "What do you think you need to do to get things back on track?" Instead, it's going to be be, "Sorry, Andy."

basedog
03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
AD Job > Head Baseball Coach

AROB44
03-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Well, he left an inconsistent baseball program and he now oversees a football program that is down from a few years ago, a basketball program that just isn't very good, and that same baseball program that is going to struggle for another year or so. I'd say he better figure things out or he'll be on the hot seat anyway.

Nope.....Cohen will not be on the "hot seat" for quite a long time. Football and basketball will be better....baseball will get there too.

AROB44
03-20-2017, 01:12 PM

Are you serious? You must have a hell of a crystal ball.

BB30
03-20-2017, 01:14 PM

And how exactly have you come to the conclusion that a first year HC is already a bust? Give the guy some time, he has a slightly different philosophy and has been dealt a rough deck of cards out of the gate. Let him get some of his players in here and get some arms healthy before we judge whether or not he will be successful as a HC. I personally think he will end up being a very good coach for us we will just have to understand there will be a learning curve along with it.

AROB44
03-20-2017, 01:16 PM
AD Job > Head Baseball Coach

Yep. Plus I actually agree with Random Poster.....Cohen wanted another challenge.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Yep. Plus I actually agree with Random Poster.....Cohen wanted another challenge.

You're dead to me**

gtowndawg
03-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Occam's razor says: the answer with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

AKA, becoming an AD is just a better job so he pursued it. Anything else requires a great deal of assumptions.

shannondawg
03-20-2017, 01:29 PM
I think Cohen took the AD job because that's been a goal of his the last 3-4 years. He just didn't come out & let it be known to everyone because he would've been killed for it.

100% correct, its been known for sometime that he wanted the job, he has been in on the hire of several coaches before he became the AD.

shannondawg
03-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Would these folk actually bad mouthing the baseball hire actually want to fire him? Sounds like it, good luck on getting the next coach worth his salt take the job.

Percho
03-20-2017, 01:33 PM

I would like to know what crystal ball do you think one has to determine how an upcoming season will be relative to the draft, who goes, who stays, and injuries. Collapse this year is relative to 11 scholarships, draft, and injuries.

NO He did not know how this year was going to be.

Percho
03-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Are people born, head coaches, or do they through trial and error become head coaches. Let's give people a chance.

blacklistedbully
03-20-2017, 02:01 PM
This is all BS.

Cohen has been our AAD for a while, and it was well known he was interested in becoming an AD long-term. Stricklin getting hired away by UF opened the door for John at the school he loves every bit as much as any of us here does. He's all Dawg.

Also, give Can a chance! He's at the beginning of his first year as a HC EVER, and has been dealt a bad hand with the pitching injuries. I, for one, am very excited about our future with Can, and with JC as the AD. Can is going to be a GREAT coach. We need to give him a chance to grow into the position. Sure, he'll take some lumps, as will we as fans....but long-term, this guy is going to be a fantastic coach.

Patience is justified right now, for both Can and JC. Both in the first year, so please, give me a break on this ridiculous knee-jerk hysteria.

maroonmania
03-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Cohen had nothing to do with SS getting offered the Florida job, but he saw an opportunity to get a job that was his lifelong ambition. That job opportunity probably come only once in his lifetime.
Ain't nobody happy about baseball right now, but you can't blame anyone, just really bad luck. Give Canny a chance, lord he's only been here about 6 months.

Canny may end up doing a fine job, maybe even a great job but I feel like Cohen decided that he essentially had to already have a baseball coach hired for him to take the AD job. Wouldn't it have been better if Cohen had just finished up Fall Ball and then took over as AD and perform a full fledged search for a new coach? Just seems that Cohen had some ties with Canny from his pro scout days and went that route because it was easy and fast. Who knows who might have been interested if we had done an actual coaching search? The MSU baseball job is not a good one to be cutting your teeth on.

smootness
03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Canny may end up doing a fine job, maybe even a great job but I feel like Cohen decided that he essentially had to already have a baseball coach hired for him to take the AD job. Wouldn't it have been better if Cohen had just finished up Fall Ball and then took over as AD and perform a full fledged search for a new coach? Just seems that Cohen had some ties with Canny from his pro scout days and went that route because it was easy and fast. Who knows who might have been interested if we had done an actual coaching search? The MSU baseball job is not a good one to be cutting your teeth on.

There wasn't a hotter name in the country than Cannizaro. He wasn't hired because we were just trying to get something done fast. He was hired because Cohen (who knows baseball and coaches around the country better than just about any other AD) thought he was the best guy for the job. That's why it was so easy and fast.

maroonmania
03-20-2017, 02:36 PM
There wasn't a hotter name in the country than Cannizaro. He wasn't hired because we were just trying to get something done fast. He was hired because Cohen (who knows baseball and coaches around the country better than just about any other AD) thought he was the best guy for the job. That's why it was so easy and fast.

Hot based on who? Why did his alma mater pass him over? Like I said he may do great wonders and from all indications is a top notch recruiter but how was he so 'hot' just based on coaching in college for a whopping 2 years?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-20-2017, 02:37 PM
He knew what everyone else knew. It was going to be a down year. I doubt it had anything to do with him "getting out". He got out because an opportunity that he had been waiting for came to into play.

AROB44
03-20-2017, 02:44 PM
You're dead to me**

Hopefully you will find it in your heart to forgive my transgression....believe me, it does not happen often.

basedog
03-20-2017, 03:26 PM

Damn, RP must have sent you a free subscription to his private board!***

AROB44
03-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Damn, RP must have sent you a free subscription to his private board!***

No...He promised me you would pay for your football tickets.....**********

biggun
03-20-2017, 04:51 PM

How is this Coach Cann's fault??? Ever heard of the analogy, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit"??? That is what Coach Cann faces. This was always going to be a major rebuilding year, just like football was this past season. It happens. And I am a huge Cohen supporter

Please do all of us a favor and Step away from the keyboard if you are going to keep spewing complete BS!

basedog
03-20-2017, 06:44 PM
No...He promised me you would pay for your football tickets.....**********

+1

LOL.

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 07:20 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4289723/you-serious-clark-o.gif

That was black helicopter-ish.

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
I think it was just coincidence more than anything.

My take:

It all started I think when Dan interviewed for Miami and then we lost the Egg Bowl. Keenum got pissed and didn't extend him and wanted him to make changes, and Scott backed Dan. Keenum tells Scott that if we suck next year in football both of them are gone. We lose to South Alabama with Dan wearing shorts and looking like he still didn't give a shit. Scott goes ahead and takes the Florida job after putting them on the backburner since the summer "just in case". Cohen wants AD job. Keenum wants a National Search. Cohen's friends in the Bulldog Club leak Cohen is AD to Bonner while AD interviews are going on and shit hits the fan running off potential AD candidates. We get Cohen. Dan then beats Texas A&M and wins the Egg Bowl and turns back into cocky Dan with UT Chattanooga comment. We get Cann- who also had a major falling out with Manieri. Our pitchers are falling left and right and JUCO's aren't coming through. And here we are.

Crystal ball predictions:

Football takes off and Dan becomes the greatest coach in MSU history while Ole Miss turns into Atlanta 1864.

Baseball turns it around in a couple of years and we all laugh about how some of us thought the LFL would die and love new baseball stadium. Recruiting is in top 10 annually and we begin a long run of winning seasons.

Todd4State
03-20-2017, 07:35 PM
And for those who already think that Cann isn't the answer- if there is one thing that Cohen is good at, it's identifying good assistants:

Butch Thompson- Head coach at Auburn.
Wes Johnson- Pitching coach at Arkansas. Considered one of the best in the country with us- tactics may tarnish him though.
Gary Henderson- took over at head coach at Kentucky after Cohen.

Lane Burroughs- Head coach at La Tech
Nick Mingione- Head coach at Kentucky
Will Coggin- current hitting coach

Jake Wells- hitting coach at Alabama after being a volunteer assistant for us.