PDA

View Full Version : Putting our inexperience into perspective...

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:08 AM
I was thinking about just how much we lost from last year, but I had not taken the time to actually look it up.

This was our starting lineup in game 1 of Super Regionals last year. Look at the pop in comparison to this team. Now granted, at this time last year we had no clue that some of those guys would step up. Hopefully we'll have guys step up as this season rolls on too. Take a look...

2016 Super Regionals Game 1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cknis8DXEAA5ckF?format=jpg&name=large

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:10 AM
I was thinking about just how much we lost from last year, but I had not taken the time to actually look it up.

This was our starting lineup in game 1 of Super Regionals last year. Look at the pop in comparison to this team. Now granted, at this time last year we had no clue that some of those guys would step up. Hopefully we'll have guys step up as this season rolls on too. Take a look...

2016 Super Regionals Game 1

We lost 4 of the first 5 in our lineup, and our Friday & Saturday studs. Pretty incredible

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:14 AM
Another thing I looked up, which should make us all feel a little better....this is our lineup in the 2nd game of the opening SEC series last year. So a LOT can change between now and 6 weeks from now in terms of guys stepping up...

Game 2 of opening SEC series 2016....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd8jIPbWEAAdRpY?format=pjpg&name=large

smootness
03-20-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure I get what you're saying with the second lineup. There is only one starter different between that one and the one from the SR.

Tbonewannabe
03-20-2017, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure I get what you're saying with the second lineup. There is only one starter different between that one and the one from the SR.

Last years team had close to the same record as this years team and ended up great. The team got better as the year went on. After the pitching staff got demolished, anything more than a winning record is a phenomenal job by this coaching staff.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 10:35 AM

Talking about lineup shuffling.

If you'd use common sense instead of just hunting for flaws in every post you read, you would have clearly seen what I was saying.

smootness
03-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Talking about lineup shuffling.

If you'd use common sense instead of just hunting for flaws in every post you read, you would have clearly seen what I was saying.

What the? I wasn't trying to find flaws in your post, I was genuinely curious as to what you were pointing out. Tbone posted an entirely different point that could be drawn from your post than the one you were trying to make, as an example. Personally, I don't see lineup shuffling as a major change, as I don't see lineup construction as that much of a factor in wins/losses. I do agree with Tbone, though, that you could look at it optimistically as that lineup earlier in the year was certainly not as productive as it was later in the year. So the fact that we still had basically the starting lineup all the way through could be seen as a positive in that sense.

msstate7
03-20-2017, 11:17 AM
What the? I wasn't trying to find flaws in your post, I was genuinely curious as to what you were pointing out. Tbone posted an entirely different point that could be drawn from your post than the one you were trying to make, as an example. Personally, I don't see lineup shuffling as a major change, as I don't see lineup construction as that much of a factor in wins/losses. I do agree with Tbone, though, that you could look at it optimistically as that lineup earlier in the year was certainly not as productive as it was later in the year. So the fact that we still had basically the starting lineup all the way through could be seen as a positive in that sense.

Everyone seems to be on edge here. Being the suck for pretty much the entire '16-'17 sports' year has that effect on people.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Sorry, maybe just on edge like msstate7 said, I just thought your response seemed a little nitpicky when I thought it was clear the only difference in the lineups was that certain guys stepped up and shifted their way to the top, establishing a strong core by SR time. My apologies for jumping to that conclusion.

I just thought it was encouraging that at this point last year guys like Mangum were in the 8 hole, but by year end huge strides were made, certain guys shined brighter in the SEC lights, and the cream ultimately rose to the top. Gives me hope that maybe some of these inexperienced guys could look completely different a month from now. I just badly want to see some adjustments to our approach at the plate.