PDA

View Full Version : Butch sweeps Florida, Mingione sweeps A&M...

CadaverDawg
03-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Canny gets swept. Doesn't feel good

I seen it dawg
03-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Maybe they were the machine behind cohens greatness...

msstate7
03-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Mingione started 2-5. Since that point, he's 13-1. We had 2 preseason all sec players and Kentucky had 1.

I seen it dawg
03-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Mingione started 2-5. Since that point, he's 13-1. We had 2 preseason all sec players and Kentucky had 1.

Mingione has had a full summer and fall with his guys and those pre season polls don't mean dick.

msstate7
03-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Maybe they were the machine behind cohens greatness...

Neither were with cohen when he won his 1st sec title

msstate7
03-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Mingione has had a full summer and fall with his guys and those pre season polls don't mean dick.

Here's ours...
Jake -- .395/.462/.481
Rooker -- .420/.523/.812

Here's Kentucky's...
White -- .433/.561/.867

Yeah, those preseason teams are crap

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-19-2017, 05:01 PM
Here's ours...
Jake -- .395/.462/.481
Rooker -- .420/.523/.812

Here's Kentucky's...
White -- .433/.561/.867

All three of them look to be doing pretty good to me

I seen it dawg
03-19-2017, 05:02 PM
All these guys gone

Collins Kruger Lowe Humphries Robson Holland
Hudson Sexton Brown Houston

Then we now have 1 pitcher 1!!! In Pilkington who should be logging big innings. The rest are hurt or freshman that at our level should be growing this yr not being vital pieces.

Mangum, Rooker, Gridley, Stovall, Brown, Alexander. The only guys on entire roster with any experience whatsoever and a couple of those didn't play regularly.

I just don't get why everyone is so damn angry and expect us to be a high seed in a regional. This team was destined to maybe make a regional. This team might not make sec tournament and I'd be surprised at this point if we do.

But no it's all on our new HC that got here AFTER fall practice. And he may be the worst hire in the history of baseball but I'm gonna at least give him a couple of recruiting classes and at minimum 1 damn fall with the program before I'm diving off the cliff with some of you assholes.

But flame away...don't know why I wasted all that pecking.

I seen it dawg
03-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Here's ours...
Jake -- .395/.462/.481
Rooker -- .420/.523/.812

Here's Kentucky's...
White -- .433/.561/.867

Yeah you're right if you're on a pre season team it means you're a shoe in for a great year. And if you aren't on the pre team then good luck on your season bc you will only be average. So stupid.

WeWonItAll(Most)
03-19-2017, 05:10 PM
All these guys gone

Then we now have 1 pitcher 1!!! In Pilkington who should be logging big innings. The rest are hurt or freshman that at our level should be growing this yr not being vital pieces.

Mangum, Rooker, Gridley, Stovall, Brown, Alexander. The only guys on entire roster with any experience whatsoever and a couple of those didn't play regularly.

I just don't get why everyone is so damn angry and expect us to be a high seed in a regional. This team was destined to maybe make a regional. This team might not make sec tournament and I'd be surprised at this point if we do.

But no it's all on our new HC that got here AFTER fall practice. And he may be the worst hire in the history of baseball but I'm gonna at least give him a couple of recruiting classes and at minimum 1 damn fall with the program before I'm diving off the cliff with some of you assholes.

+1, the lack of rationality on this board at the moment is astounding. We are worse than we expected to be, but it's really not difficult to see how we ended up here and realize there wasn't much of anything Can could do to avoid this.

CadaverDawg
03-19-2017, 05:15 PM
All these guys gone

For the record, most of us aren't blaming anything on AC...I for one am just frustrated and venting, and just discussing it. I don't like all the strikeouts, and I guess I was hoping AC's hitting prowess might help the young guys grow up more quickly at the plate...but that hasn't been the case. I didn't have high expectations, but I didn't expect us to make this big a step back unless it was due to our depleted pitching. I didn't expect hitting to be what lead to a bad year. AC gets a pass this year, and I like some of what I'm seeing...hopefully we can come around at the plate and turn this thing around a little.

GTHOM
03-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Damn I didnt know Mingione was the HC at A&M

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 05:22 PM
For the record, most of us aren't blaming anything on AC...I for one am just frustrated and venting, and just discussing it. I don't like all the strikeouts, and I guess I was hoping AC's hitting prowess might help the young guys grow up more quickly at the plate...but that hasn't been the case. I didn't have high expectations, but I didn't expect us to make this big a step back unless it was due to our depleted pitching. I didn't expect hitting to be what lead to a bad year. AC gets a pass this year, and I like some of what I'm seeing...hopefully we can come around at the plate and turn this thing around a little.

I think we would be fine or at least better if Smith and Rigby were healthy. Not to mention our situation at catcher is as bad or worse than the pitching staff- but it's not as noticeable because of the emphasis pitching has on a game and the fact that one of our best hitters and second baseman is our for awhile. That said, Friday and Sunday wasn't totally on the pitching staff. The bullpen actually did a good job on Saturday. It doesn't help that Oregon has a really good pitching staff and Arkansas leads the SEC in K's. That's not me saying that there isn't an issue- just that those two things make it even more noticeable. This week is big for our team. If they don't win the weekend series against Tennessee, I'm afraid that they'll start to pack it up. I can't really blame them to be honest with you. Just too much to overcome.

lamont
03-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Damn I didnt know Mingione was the HC at A&M

HC at Kentucky- they swept A&M

msstate7
03-19-2017, 05:27 PM
I think we would be fine or at least better if Smith and Rigby were healthy. Not to mention our situation at catcher is as bad or worse than the pitching staff- but it's not as noticeable because of the emphasis pitching has on a game and the fact that one of our best hitters and second baseman is our for awhile. That said, Friday and Sunday wasn't totally on the pitching staff. The bullpen actually did a good job on Saturday. It doesn't help that Oregon has a really good pitching staff and Arkansas leads the SEC in K's. That's not me saying that there isn't an issue- just that those two things make it even more noticeable. This week is big for our team. If they don't win the weekend series against Tennessee, I'm afraid that they'll start to pack it up. I can't really blame them to be honest with you. Just too much to overcome.

How good is smith? Why RS him? Play him at 2b and move Stovall to catcher. That could potentially really sure the lineup some.

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 05:37 PM
How good is smith? Why RS him? Play him at 2b and move Stovall to catcher. That could potentially really sure the lineup some.

We may have no choice but to play him. I'm assuming he's on the 35 man roster too- not 100% on that. The fact that we are playing the guys that we are and he's not makes me think that he probably can't help us very much if at all. I'm not sure that he'll be on the team next year with Justin Foscue, Jordan Hedberg, Tanner Allen, and Rowdy Jordan coming in to be completely honest with you.

And to be clear- I was talking about Blake Smith in my post that you responded to- not Reed Smith.

msstate7
03-19-2017, 05:41 PM
We may have no choice but to play him. I'm assuming he's on the 35 man roster too- not 100% on that. The fact that we are playing the guys that we are and he's not makes me think that he probably can't help us very much if at all. I'm not sure that he'll be on the team next year with Justin Foscue, Jordan Hedberg, Tanner Allen, and Rowdy Jordan coming in to be completely honest with you.

And to be clear- I was talking about Blake Smith in my post that you responded to- not Reed Smith.

Yeah, I knew it was Blake. I just knew you would know about reed.

Bothrops
03-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Canny gets swept. Doesn't feel good

The most MSU thing ever.

Coldsleeve Jr.
03-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Anybody who had high expectations with losing 11ish players to the draft and 6-7 pitchers with TJ is just ignoring reality. This was a rebuilding year as soon as the 2016 draft ended. Imagine having all of our pitchers plus Kruger and Lowe.

I seen it dawg
03-19-2017, 06:00 PM

Yeah I get it. It just takes time to implement a new voice and new process in the program. Usually happens in the fall. The players weren't done any justice either. I know there isn't much blame on Cann right now but they will come out and show their ass eventually. And they will be wrong. I'm frustrated too but I've been around the game long enough to see our situation objectively. It sucks all the way around.

The Federalist Engineer
03-19-2017, 06:11 PM
All these guys gone

Agree, sadly we just have to suffer the pain until we slog through this disaster. Players need to develop and gain experience. this year, we won't have 11 players drafted from this club and we will have lots of juniors with experience next year. 1 or 2 of the TJs might be back and contribute in 2018.

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Agree, sadly we just have to suffer the pain until we slog through this disaster. Players need to develop and gain experience. this year, we won't have 11 players drafted from this club and we will have lots of juniors with experience next year. 1 or 2 of the TJs might be back and contribute in 2018.

Guess what we're going to be relying on to fill gaps with next year? JUCO's! Better hope they don't go pro and actually pan out. If they do we could go from worst to SEC champs to worst to maybe dare I say National Champs!****

msstate7
03-19-2017, 06:59 PM
Guess what we're going to be relying on to fill gaps with next year? JUCO's! Better hope they don't go pro and actually pan out. If they do we could go from worst to SEC champs to worst to maybe dare I say National Champs!****

Why don't we give Bragg more ABs? We've only given him 12 ABs... he's hitting .333 in those with an obp around .400

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Why don't we give Bragg more ABs? We've only given him 12 ABs... he's hitting .333 in those with an obp around .400

I don't know. I'm all for it.

lamont
03-19-2017, 07:16 PM

Because we had an infield on Stovall, Grid, and Belmont playing well.

msstate7
03-19-2017, 07:18 PM

I notice you left off 1b where Bragg is best suited too BTW

Commercecomet24
03-19-2017, 07:27 PM
All these guys gone

I seen it gets it! If you don't have patience you should probably find another sport to be interested in.

lamont
03-19-2017, 07:33 PM

I'm not aware of Bragg ever being a 1st baseman

msstate7
03-19-2017, 07:42 PM

You must have been tied up in an anti-Mullen/Hev thread then bc Bragg has been at 1st

CadaverDawg
03-19-2017, 07:49 PM

He's played well at 1B. Played well at 3B too though

GTHOM
03-19-2017, 07:52 PM
HC at Kentucky- they swept A&M

Ohhhhhhh

HSVDawg
03-19-2017, 08:58 PM

What's funny is that this is basically a repeat of before Cohen got here in regards to the hitting. Cohen was considered a hitting guru, was the hitting coach at Florida, and had big time offensive numbers on his UK teams. And yet, every great team he built at MSU was built heavily if not almost exclusively on pitching. We were woefully deficient at the plate for a good portion of his tenure (especially 2012, 2014, and 2015).

Here's the rub....none of that is because Cohen was a bad hitting coach, and none of it is because Cannizaro is bad either. What a college coach can actually do to improve a kid's approach, technique, and offensive measurables is greatly exaggerated by a lot of message board experts who watched too many Tom Emanski videos. You can make small tweaks to slightly improve power and turn some singles into doubles, but hitting is 95% innate skill and repetition. It comes down to recruiting. And we haven't recruited enough good hitters who are innately good at just making solid contact (definitely not nearly as well as we've done with pitchers). And to escalate things even further, most of the good hitters we have brought in lately under Cohenhave been JUCO guys which has increased the turnover rate and made us that much more inconsistent offensively.

My hope is that Cannizaro can use his scouting expertise to identify guys who have high ceilings as college hitters, but may be getting overlooked for one reason or another (size, level of competition, etc.). If he can do that and also sustain the level of pitching recruits brought in by Cohen, we will do big things.

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 08:59 PM

Bragg could have DH. I would have personally gone:

C- Skelton
1B- Rooker
2B- Stovall
3B- LA
SS- Gridley
LF- Blaylock/Poole/MacNamee
CF- Mangum
RF- Cody Brown
DH- Bragg

When Stovall is healthy- those are our best 9 hitters.

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 09:03 PM

I think Bragg is long term a third baseman. At least that's what we recruited him as. He played there today and looked fine.

lamont
03-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Here's the rub....none of that is because Cohen was a bad hitting coach, and none of it is because Cannizaro is bad either. What a college coach can actually do to improve a kid's approach, technique, and offensive measurables is greatly exaggerated by a lot of message board experts who watched too many Tom Emanski videos. You can make small tweaks to slightly improve power and turn some singles into doubles, but hitting is 95% innate skill and repetition. It comes down to recruiting. And we haven't recruited enough good hitters who are innately good at just making solid contact (definitely not nearly as well as we've done with pitchers). And to escalate things even further, most of the good hitters we have brought in lately under Cohenhave been JUCO guys which has increased the turnover rate and made us that much more inconsistent offensively.

Absolutely. Agree 100% and very good post. You can only do so much to help your talent- you cant hit it for them. Good baseball coaches do more mental side coaching than anything. A guy that can hit is going to hit.

Cohen tailored his team at Kentucky to the ballpark- as he tried to do at State. His recruiting was inconsistent for sure. Lots of jucos means lots of turnover as you pointed out. That is certainly where we need Cann to be more consistent with HS guys.

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 09:10 PM
What's funny is that this is basically a repeat of before Cohen got here in regards to the hitting. Cohen was considered a hitting guru, was the hitting coach at Florida, and had big time offensive numbers on his UK teams. And yet, every great team he built at MSU was built heavily if not almost exclusively on pitching. We were woefully deficient at the plate for a good portion of his tenure (especially 2012, 2014, and 2015).

My hope is that Cannizaro can use his scouting expertise to identify guys who have high ceilings as college hitters, but may be getting overlooked for one reason or another (size, level of competition, etc.). If he can do that and also sustain the level of pitching recruits brought in by Cohen, we will do big things.

Anyone in particular you have in mind?**

Good post though. Cohen did build his offense to fit the college landscape with the baseball being dead- he darn near won a NC doing that. It blew up in our face when the NCAA changed and we weren't given an opportunity to change with it.

One thing I have learned about MSU fans is they are going to bitch about the hitting and offense no matter who the coach is or what the coach does.

Polk II era MSU message board fans: "We can't bunt and we look like we never practice it."

Cohen era MSU message board fans: "We bunt too much and we give away too many outs. I want to see more home runs."

Early returns on Cann era message board fans: "We may be second in the league in home runs but we strike out too much and we look awful at the plate."

We need to find guys that are legit college hitters that want to go to college first and not go pro. Those guys aren't necessarily overlooked nowadays- it's just more being in tune with what the player is likely going to do and being prepared to have someone take that spot if the player goes pro.

lamont
03-19-2017, 09:11 PM
You must have been tied up in an anti-Mullen/Hev thread then bc Bragg has been at 1st

We have been hoping Gordon would get better with AB's at 1b- and using it also to get Cody AB's while Blaylock got experience in LF. We obviously think Blaylock is the talent and needs AB's

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 09:14 PM
We have been hoping Gordon would get better with AB's at 1b- and using it also to get Cody AB's while Blaylock got experience in LF. We obviously think Blaylock is the talent and needs AB's

I felt that way for awhile but given our situation we actually need Gordon to pitch. With the JUCO first basemen and the high school freshman we have coming in from Cullman next year- I think we should just go ahead and bite the bullet and let him focus on pitching. Blaylock and Cody Brown actually have pretty much the same numbers right now.

IMissJack
03-19-2017, 09:15 PM
I don't blame Cohen for getting to the front office ASAP. It was obvious this year was going to be very difficult.

msstate7
03-19-2017, 09:17 PM

I love blaylock despite the tough weekend

Homedawg
03-19-2017, 09:18 PM

First, smith really struggled in the fall. Second, he's not on scholarship that I know of and don't think he's on the 35 man roster. But I won't swear on the latter.

msstate7
03-19-2017, 09:21 PM
First, smith really struggled in the fall. Second, he's not on scholarship that I know of and don't think he's on the 35 man roster. But I won't swear on the latter.

The whole idea was based on the premise smith is good. I haven't seen field a ball or hit at all... just heard he's really good. Apparently the hype was undeserved.

BossDawg
03-19-2017, 09:48 PM

It is most certainly frustrating as f#@k. I need to vent, too. Also, when I get down on State baseball I get super-pissed thinking about Polk and Templeton, and how they just let everything slip right through their damn hands. That sandpapers my ass damn near more than anything. Now it seems like every time we seem get get things on track, we take 2 steps back. Whether it's a new coach, inexperienced players or the friggin' draft, there's something that won't let us take off. I know it does no good, but I just had to bitch a little and get that out.

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 10:18 PM
I don't blame Cohen for getting to the front office ASAP. It was obvious this year was going to be very difficult.

I'm glad he did. It sounds to me like he was losing interest in coaching baseball. The product on the field says the same- although the pitching injuries have made it twice as worse. And that's something we can't totally control- at least at this point.

One thing about Cohen is he was really good at identifying good assistants- almost all of his former assistants here have become head coaches in the SEC or could be on the verge of doing so when you look at someone like Lane Burroughs. And all are having success as head coaches. The only one that has literally made a lateral move was Wes Johnson- and that was for his dream job in his home state and a place where I still wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being their head coach one day. That also doesn't include Kentucky where Henderson became a head coach and was successful and Brad Bohannon who is now the hitting coach at Auburn.

I think that bodes well for us as far as Cannizaro long term.

maroonmania
03-19-2017, 10:30 PM
I'm glad he did. It sounds to me like he was losing interest in coaching baseball. The product on the field says the same- although the pitching injuries have made it twice as worse. And that's something we can't totally control- at least at this point.

One thing about Cohen is he was really good at identifying good assistants- almost all of his former assistants here have become head coaches in the SEC or could be on the verge of doing so when you look at someone like Lane Burroughs. And all are having success as head coaches. The only one that has literally made a lateral move was Wes Johnson- and that was for his dream job in his home state and a place where I still wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being their head coach one day. That also doesn't include Kentucky where Henderson became a head coach and was successful and Brad Bohannon who is now the hitting coach at Auburn.

I think that bodes well for us as far as Cannizaro long term.

Cohen certainly picked the right time to leave after the SEC championship because we were very fortunate to catch lightning in a bottle last year. Nobody could have predicted that Lowe and Kruger would be really good hitters right out of the gate at MSU. Certainly nobody knew Mangum would be the SEC's leading hitter as a true FR or that Dakota Hudson would be a true ace or that Collins would be our day-to-day 3B. A lot of things had to go right last year for us to be the team we were last year and things seemingly have gone just as wrong this season. This year, the only guy having a pretty decent year at the plate so far that is somewhat new to the lineup is Luke Alexander. Right now we have Mangum, Rooker and Gridley and then a bunch of guys that struggle against competent pitching.

BHildreth3
03-19-2017, 10:43 PM
The problem is several on here aren't patient, including me. We're busy, work hard and love MSU sports and when we tune in to watch we want to see a winner. It sucks to be mediocre and I have an awful feeling that OleMiss wins a natty in baseball before us. Their freshman class is outstanding.

Todd4State
03-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Cohen certainly picked the right time to leave after the SEC championship because we were very fortunate to catch lightning in a bottle last year. Nobody could have predicted that Lowe and Kruger would be really good hitters right out of the gate at MSU. Certainly nobody knew Mangum would be the SEC's leading hitter as a true FR or that Dakota Hudson would be a true ace or that Collins would be our day-to-day 3B. A lot of things had to go right last year for us to be the team we were last year and things seemingly have gone just as wrong this season. This year, the only guy having a pretty decent year at the plate so far that is somewhat new to the lineup is Luke Alexander. Right now we have Mangum, Rooker and Gridley and then a bunch of guys that struggle against competent pitching.

We would have been pretty good even without Lowe and Kruger because we would have been junior laden. Those two without question put us over the top and made us championship caliber. We probably would have ended up with Rooker at first base had Lowe not panned out and Lovelady was right there with Kruger until he hurt himself and was out for the year. Hudson did really well in the Cape so a lot of people weren't surprised although our fans had to see it to believe it.

RougeDawg
03-20-2017, 01:38 AM
Absolutely. Agree 100% and very good post. You can only do so much to help your talent- you cant hit it for them. Good baseball coaches do more mental side coaching than anything. A guy that can hit is going to hit.

Cohen tailored his team at Kentucky to the ballpark- as he tried to do at State. His recruiting was inconsistent for sure. Lots of jucos means lots of turnover as you pointed out. That is certainly where we need Cann to be more consistent with HS guys.

Wait one mother f*cking minute. I've been told on here for years that you can't tweak swings to improve power and averages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!******* no f*cking way.

I've been bashed for years for pointing out the same thing, yet someone else can state the same "water is wet" statement and attain agreement.

Bottom line is y'all didnt want me to and don't want me to tell reality. Cohen wasn't the coach you all built him until to be. He left us with shit this year and the two coaches who took us on the 2013 run are doing well on their own elsewhere.

It's time to face the facts about Cohen. I've known them for about 5-6 years now. Was plain as day for me from day 1, but as with Dan Mullen, Bucky, and the OM investigation I guess we all can't see things at first. I don't post things that aren't backed up by highly educated and intellictual reference. Main reason being, I don't want to waste my time defending something.

Carry on bashing me and I'll keep trying to enlighten.

RougeDawg
03-20-2017, 01:46 AM
John Cohen was a bad hitting coach because one of our current players said JC never taught them one F*cking lick about mechanics or technique. Cohen was a masterful situational coach. Hitting and mechanics he was not. I'll provide the current players name who told me this after he's done playing. Don't want to jeopardize the rest of his career.

Some of you need to take off the maroon glasses. Cohen wasn't the great coach you all make him out to be. He knew this as well and took the AD job. Why is this so difficult for most MSU fans to understand? Should be 1+1=2.

CadaverDawg
03-20-2017, 08:30 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/xYHscQ1Np55i8/giphy.gif

Tbonewannabe
03-20-2017, 09:37 AM
All these guys gone

Holy Shit, pass the Tylenol. Some people don't comprehend why having an entire new coaching staff come in right before the season would be problematic. How do you think UNM is going to be if they fire Hugh in August? We are basically playing Fall Ball during the season so Canny can figure out what he has and how to use them. It helps that Cohen is still around but it is still the worst possible scenario. We basically lost almost our entire offense and pitching staff and got a new coach late in the game. Saban at Bama his first year had a losing season and he didn't deal with as much turmoil as Canny has.