PDA

View Full Version : Where are the damn bats?????

coastratdog
03-18-2017, 09:09 AM
KP pitched a great game against a very good team at their house. Giving up only 3 runs on 4 hits, k'ing 13 with only two free passes! Had two mistakes, the second HR was a hitters dream pitch. Don't do that again. I hope that the Pigs pitchers were their studs because we sucked at the plate. I'm no thanks writing the season off but we better swing those bats.

basedog
03-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Arkansas pitcher is a beast, dude throws strikes and has a 30 to 1 strike to walk ratio, has heat in the mid 90's. Fact is he was just better.

msstate7
03-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Arkansas pitcher is a beast, dude throws strikes and has a 30 to 1 strike to walk ratio, has heat in the mid 90's. Fact is he was just better.

Yeah, it's not pitcher vs pitcher. It's pitcher vs other team's lineup. Our lineup can't hit good pitching and knight is good, not great

basedog
03-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Knight was great last night, dude throws heat and strikes, when pitchers are on they have the advantage over a hitter all day every day. I'm not disagreeing about our lack of hitting, we have a long way to go, but today we a chance of getting a win.

raymond21
03-18-2017, 09:30 AM
We strike out way too much against any kind of pitching. If the first 19 games are any indication, this will repeat itself every Friday night

gravedigger
03-18-2017, 09:31 AM
KP pitched a great game against a very good team at their house. Giving up only 3 runs on 4 hits, k'ing 13 with only two free passes! Had two mistakes, the second HR was a hitters dream pitch. Don't do that again. I hope that the Pigs pitchers were their studs because we sucked at the plate. I'm no thanks writing the season off but we better swing those bats.

It's just going to take some time.

msstate7
03-18-2017, 09:32 AM
today we a chance of getting a win.

I think we pull it out today

MaroonFlounder
03-18-2017, 10:13 AM
This will be Plumlee's 1st action against SEC hitting. Color me nervous.

Joe Schmedlap
03-18-2017, 10:51 AM
All hope for M-State sports in 2016-17 rests with the Belle (booby) Dogs ����

tcdog70
03-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Yeah, it's not pitcher vs pitcher. It's pitcher vs other team's lineup. Our lineup can't hit good pitching and knight is good, not great

What? He has like a.67 ERA and has 1 walk this year. What does it take to be great?

msstate7
03-18-2017, 11:56 AM
What? He has like a.67 ERA and has 1 walk this year. What does it take to be great?

We've faced 3 P5 Friday guys this year. They've thrown 22.0 ip. In those 22 ip, we have...

7 h
2 er
36 k
2 bb
0.82 era
0.41 whip
Over 5 to 1 k's to hits

If you think it's just elite pitching, you're in for a rude awakening

Tanner houck is great. Thank God we don't face him

WPS
03-18-2017, 01:36 PM
I hope that the Pigs pitchers were their studs because we sucked at the plate.

We have another good starter going tonight but our bullpen and Sunday starter (we dont really have one) arent very good.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Knight was great last night, dude throws heat and strikes, when pitchers are on they have the advantage over a hitter all day every day. I'm not disagreeing about our lack of hitting, we have a long way to go, but today we a chance of getting a win.

He was great last night bc he was facing our lineup. We look that shitty vs everybody...so is everybody just "great that night"? No, we just need to learn to hit the damn ball. Just put it in play some and force them to make throws and catches. We may need to play more small ball at this pace, and I just threw up in my mouth typing that.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 02:39 PM
We've faced 3 P5 Friday guys this year. They've thrown 22.0 ip. In those 22 ip, we have...

7 h
2 er
36 k
2 bb
0.82 era
0.41 whip
Over 5 to 1 k's to hits

If you think it's just elite pitching, you're in for a rude awakening

Tanner houck is great. Thank God we don't face him

Agree on all points

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 02:41 PM
We have another good starter going tonight but our bullpen and Sunday starter (we dont really have one) arent very good.

Your Sunday starter will set a personal record in K's tomorrow. Book it. And our fans will say "he's a great pitcher" or "he was great today" when it happens

Activated Alpha
03-18-2017, 02:55 PM
We are in second place with strikeouts as of right now, but we are also tied in first place with 259 strikeouts with our pitching staff.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Your Sunday starter will set a personal record in K's tomorrow. Book it. And our fans will say "he's a great pitcher" or "he was great today" when it happens

And when we win some of them I'm sure our fans will still belittle our team. It's what our baseball fans do.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 02:59 PM
We are in second place with strikeouts as of right now, but we are also tied in first place with 259 strikeouts with our pitching staff.

We're also in second place in home runs. I'm sure one of these jack wagons will point out that none of them were hit against aces on power five teams or some bullshit like that.

Activated Alpha
03-18-2017, 03:09 PM
We're also in second place in home runs. I'm sure one of these jack wagons will point out that none of them were hit against aces on power five teams or some bullshit like that.

I do believe we are making bad adjustments after seeing a guy multiple times though. I just cringe when our guys strikeout 2-3 times a game.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 03:32 PM
I do believe we are making bad adjustments after seeing a guy multiple times though. I just cringe when our guys strikeout 2-3 times a game.

No question it's a work in process and there are issues. I know Cann sees them because he mentions them in his press conferences. At the same time there is too much of an overaction by our "fans" about it. Especially when you are taking about aces. The guy that shut us down against Oregon has 38 K's in his last three starts. Oregon still hasn't lost since we beat them. You have an Arkansas fan on here that posted how good their ace is plus Pilkington struck out 13 of their guys so does that make Arkansas shitty too?

It's just the ignorant baseball discussion that pisses me off. We hit worse against power five aces? I mean wow- we must have major problems as a program.**

And even worse now that I've defended them I'm sure we'll look even worse this weekend because that's how this shit usually goes- but my point still remains regardless.

msstate7
03-18-2017, 03:45 PM
It's just the ignorant baseball discussion that pisses me off. We hit worse against power five aces? .
22 ip
7 h
2 er
36 k
2 bb
0.82 era
0.41 whip
Over 5 to 1 k's to hits

Yeah, that qualifies as worse.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 03:46 PM
And when we win some of them I'm sure our fans will still belittle our team. It's what our baseball fans do.

Doubtful. I just get tired of the sunshine pumping. Nobody is saying we suck and they hate our team and want to fire the coach...but at the same time if you look at this offense and still try to convince people we just caught another pitcher on a great night, you're clueless. To sum it up, Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. That's all I'm saying. And don't get pissed when people call a turd a turd. Right now our offense is a turd. Hopefully they turn it around starting tonight

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 03:49 PM
No question it's a work in process and there are issues. I know Cann sees them because he mentions them in his press conferences. At the same time there is too much of an overaction by our "fans" about it. Especially when you are taking about aces. The guy that shut us down against Oregon has 38 K's in his last three starts. Oregon still hasn't lost since we beat them. You have an Arkansas fan on here that posted how good their ace is plus Pilkington struck out 13 of their guys so does that make Arkansas shitty too?

If Arkansas was looking that shitty at the plate EVERY game, then yes...yes it does.

Activated Alpha
03-18-2017, 03:50 PM

It's just the ignorant baseball discussion that pisses me off. We hit worse against power five aces? I mean wow- we must have major problems as a program.**

And even worse now that I've defended them I'm sure we'll look even worse this weekend because that's how this shit usually goes- but my point still remains regardless.

I know ive had my moments where ive been disgruntled with our approach, but after viewing the statistics across the SEC I feel a little better. Did you know us and vandy are the only teams to have not recorded a pickoff so far?

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 03:52 PM
22 ip
7 h
2 er
36 k
2 bb
0.82 era
0.41 whip
Over 5 to 1 k's to hits

Yea, Todd wants to act like that's how everyone's stats look against Friday night guys....nope. Todd, nobody is overreacting or melting...nobody wants Cann fired or anything. People are just stating the facts....if that bothers you or makes you feel like you have to defend the stats for some reason, that's your issue...doesn't change the fact that it's true and that it's ok for people to call a spade a spade without "melting" or "overreacting". Some just might be frustrated and want to talk about it.

The #'s mstate7 just posted above, are embarrassing for a Mississippi State team. Point blank period

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Yea, Todd wants to act like that's how everyone's stats look against Friday night guys....nope. Todd, nobody is overreacting or melting...nobody wants Cann fired or anything. People are just stating the facts....if that bothers you or makes you feel like you have to defend the stats for some reason, that's your issue...doesn't change the fact that it's true and that it's ok for people to call a spade a spade without "melting" or "overreacting". Some just might be frustrated and want to talk about it.

The #'s mstate7 just posted above, are embarrassing for a Mississippi State team. Point blank period

Who said they wanted Cann fired? That's not my issue AT ALL anyway. My issue is as I said the ignorant baseball discussion. You want to talk about "facts" but no one is talking about the fact that the guys that aren't hitting have the least experience in SEC play. Once those players get some AB's under their belt then their numbers will more than likely get better. It's not a coincidence that the ones that are hitting have the most AB's and experience in the SEC. THAT'S the problem- especially when you are talking about approach. And it's compounded by the fact that we have a new coach who is pushing them to be aggressive- which usually leads to hitters being overaggressive and thinking too much sometimes- which leads to K's and bad at bats. Once our guys get AB's and have a year under Cann they are going to be fine.

You want to call a spade a spade but no one ever mentions the fact that again we're second in home runs and lead the SEC in stolen bases. What's going to happen when our guys get experience and have been in the system for a year?

Like I have said before about pitchers only having 1-2 good pitches in high school- well that's what our hitters are used to seeing when they were in high school and JUCO. It's a LOT easier to hit when the pitcher can't throw but one pitch for a strike than it is in the SEC where you have an ace that can throw three pitches for strikes and two of them break or have sink/run. Our hitters have to get used to not being "the man" and just being OK with hitting singles sometimes and then as they grow and have success then the extra base hits and better AB's and better approach comes.

And yeah- that is how everyone's stats look against legit aces. That's why aces numbers look the way the way that they do. We will never ever hit aces well consistently. And no one else will either. Will ace have a bad night from time to time? Sure. And that's why I said consistently. Aces are going to feast on inexperienced teams bottom half of the order.

Basically- you're telling me that you can call a spade a spade as long is fits what you feel like bitching about, even if that spade is wrong. Well if your spade is wrong, I'm going to let you know about it and put my two cents in.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Doubtful. I just get tired of the sunshine pumping. Nobody is saying we suck and they hate our team and want to fire the coach...but at the same time if you look at this offense and still try to convince people we just caught another pitcher on a great night, you're clueless. To sum it up, Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. That's all I'm saying. And don't get pissed when people call a turd a turd. Right now our offense is a turd. Hopefully they turn it around starting tonight

LOL. The only thing you know about hitting is that you can't do it.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 04:14 PM
22 ip
7 h
2 er
36 k
2 bb
0.82 era
0.41 whip
Over 5 to 1 k's to hits

Thanks Bill James. How come you don't include the other games against Texas Tech and Oregon? I think I know the answer to that.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 04:18 PM
LOL. The only thing you know about hitting is that you can't do it.

Are you denying our hitting being bad? You don't think we strike out too much? And I actually played baseball, while you are a self admitted band guy...so are you really going to let people saying our offense is bad and we strike out too much get you in to a personal fight about who can hit college pitchers? Grow up Todd. Nobody said they could hit shit, we're just debating how frustrating the offense and strikeouts are. We're all aware of our inexperience but it doesn't change the fact that we're frustrated and expect better. If that is too much for you to discuss without having to say "you can't hit it", maybe you should stay off message boards.

Everyone remember, you must be able to hit a Friday night ace in order to discuss them on message boards. Sigh

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Are you denying our hitting being bad? And I actually played baseball, while you are a self admitted band guy...so are you really going to let people saying our offense is bad and we strike out too much get you in to a personal fight about who can hit college pitchers? Grow up Todd. Nobody said they could hit shit, we're just debating how frustrating the offense and strikeouts are. We're all aware of our inexperience but it doesn't change the fact that we're frustrated and expect better. If that is too much for you to discuss without having to say "you can't hit it", maybe you should stay off message boards

No- I said that there are issues many times. I just actually talked about the REASON why it is the way it is. I also gave my opinion as to why I think it will get better. I see the big picture- and to you that's "sunshine pumping". I also don't cherry pick stats and then focus on that one aspect of schedule without taking the rest into account and then claim I am calling a spade a spade. Excuse me for mistaking your quote of "we look shitty against everybody" in this thread as melting down. The fact that you actually played baseball and made the comments you did makes it worse- and you should be ashamed that a "band guy" knows better than you about it. But then again at least I was able to parlay my band guy skills into a college scholarship something you weren't able to do with your baseball skills or lack thereof.

You say that we're all aware of our inexperience- yet I see very few people talking about it. If you were rational and knew as much as you claim- you should have mentioned that while you were "not melting down." I'm glad my "you can't hit it" comment left a mark though.

Activated Alpha
03-18-2017, 04:43 PM
So my question, how long should it take for these "inexperienced" players take to adjust to other pitches. Should it be expected by now to see our hitters react better to a sinker or a hard breaking curve after they've seen it multiple times throughout this season? I can be patient, but hopefully we aren't waiting till middle of the season before they start adjusting.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 04:47 PM
No- I said that there are issues many times. I just actually talked about the REASON why it is the way it is. I also gave my opinion as to why I think it will get better. I see the big picture- and to you that's "sunshine pumping". I also don't cherry pick stats and then focus on that one aspect of schedule without taking the rest into account and then claim I am calling a spade a spade. Excuse me for mistaking your quote of "we look shitty against everybody" in this thread as melting down. The fact that you actually played baseball and made the comments you did makes it worse- and you should be ashamed that a "band guy" knows better than you about it. But then again at least I was able to parlay my band guy skills into a college scholarship something you weren't able to do with your baseball skills or lack thereof.

You say that we're all aware of our inexperience- yet I see very few people talking about it. If you were rational and knew as much as you claim- you should have mentioned that while you were "not melting down." I'm glad my "you can't hit it" comment left a mark though.

Haha, didn't leave a mark at all...made me laugh that your terrible posting, non athletic ass used "you can't hit it" as a counter to a debate by fans about college baseball. Lol, that's Pathetic dude. But carry on. I forgot I was debating someone so sensitive. I know you try to pride yourself on message board baseball knowledge, so I won't burst your bubble.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 04:50 PM
So my question, how long should it take for these "inexperienced" players take to adjust to other pitches. Should it be expected by now to see our hitters react better to a sinker or a hard breaking curve after they've seen it multiple times throughout this season? I can be patient, but hopefully we aren't waiting till middle of the season before they start adjusting.

You're right to question it. We should already be making adjustments from ab to ab, game to game, etc...but some people have trouble admitting that.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 04:55 PM

I'd say approximately 100 AB's. I usually divide the SEC season up into two halves. I suspect that the last five series we will likely start to see some more noticeable improvement.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 04:56 PM

That's been my biggest issue. We strike out on the same pitches, don't work counts at all, aren't selective in what we swing at, always seem to be 0-1/0-2....and we never adjust. And I'm not expecting us to be world beaters, but put the ball in play to at least give yourself a shot at an error being made or something. Especially if we aren't ever going to get people on via a walk. These K's are just killing any chance we have at scratching runs across

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 04:57 PM
I'd say approximately 100 AB's. I usually divide the SEC season up into two halves. I suspect that the last five series we will likely start to see some more noticeable improvement.

You think it takes 100 at bats to "start adjusting to pitches"? No wonder the stating of negative facts has you so whiny.

RougeDawg
03-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Wait, baseball season started?

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:02 PM
Haha, didn't leave a mark at all...made me laugh that your terrible posting, non athletic ass used "you can't hit it" as a counter to a debate by fans about college baseball. Lol, that's Pathetic dude. But carry on. I forgot I was debating someone so sensitive. I know you try to pride yourself on message board baseball knowledge, so I won't burst your bubble.

And it made me laugh that you want to call a spade a spade and then when someone calls a spade a spade- it's sunshine pumping. Maybe the reason I actually have an "internet reputation"- your words not mine- is because most of the stuff I post about baseball is right a lot of the time.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 05:06 PM
And it made me laugh that you want to call a spade a spade and then when someone calls a spade a spade- it's sunshine pumping. Maybe the reason I actually have an "internet reputation"- your words not mine- is because most of the stuff I post about baseball is right a lot of the time.

Lol, I didn't say you had an "internet reputation", but thanks for confirming to everyone how much you want one. Ha damn, that's embarrassing.

And yea, you're right in baseball a hell of a lot more than you are in football...But that's not saying much. And I didn't call your stats "sunshine pumping", I called you trying to spin this offense into being "not a bad offense", sunshine pumping. And I'm right. We may become a good offense, but we aren't right now. There is no spinning that.

msstate7
03-18-2017, 05:06 PM
You think it takes 100 at bats to "start adjusting to pitches"? No wonder the stating of negative facts has you so whiny.

Yeah, pretty long adjustment time considering Lowe led us in ABs with 247 last year. Takes approximately 40% of your whole season's ABs to start adjusting

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:09 PM

In general- yes. And I see that you cleverly worded it "start to adjust"- I'm talking about fully adjust. I'm sure we are starting to adjust but the results aren't quite there yet. Obviously there are exceptions like Mangum and some on the other end of the spectrum that never get it. I already stated why in this thread- these players are used to hitting against pitchers that aren't SEC caliber and most of them can only throw one pitch for a strike. Now they are facing guys that can throw at least two and the aces can throw three pitches for strikes. They can't eliminate pitches as much and they are pitches that are thrown harder with more tilt. Not to mention that they have to get away from the high school star mindset and really focus on approach more and expand the zone less.

That's why Ole Miss is last in the SEC in hitting right now- look at how many freshmen that they are starting.

Are you sure you really played? Were you the courtesy runner?

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 05:11 PM
Yeah, pretty long adjustment time considering Lowe led us in ABs with 247 last year. Takes approximately 40% of your whole season's ABs to start adjusting

Haha, him and Kruger....and Mangum...and others. That 100 ab's comment was mind boggling iyam

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Lol, I didn't say you had an "internet reputation", but thanks for confirming to everyone how much you want one. Ha damn, that's embarrassing.

And yea, you're right in baseball a hell of a lot more than you are in football...But that's not saying much. And I didn't call your stats "sunshine pumping", I called you trying to spin this offense into being "not a bad offense", sunshine pumping. And I'm right. We may become a good offense, but we aren't right now. There is no spinning that.

OK- I really want to be the best MSU poster ever. That comment totally proves that.******** Of course- that's not a big deal with people like you setting the bar low with your lack of sports knowledge. And me being right more in baseball than football is still being right twice as much as you which is pretty sad.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:15 PM

Lowe is a good example- he struggled at the beginning of the year and came on late. Kruger is too- we actually benched him around this time of the year for Marrero.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 05:16 PM
In general- yes. And I see that you cleverly worded it "start to adjust"

That was the question he asked you. If you can't answer the question asked, that's on you. I didn't cleverly word anything. Sweet courtesy runner joke, that may get you a step closer to that "internet reputation" you so desperately crave.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Haha, him and Kruger....and Mangum...and others. That 100 ab's comment was mind boggling iyam

So, you expect every hitter to be Mangum? THAT'S your problem. And as I said Lowe and Kruger struggled the first part of the SEC season before adjusting.

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Kruger is too- we actually benched him around this time of the year for Marrero.

After a red hot start. Get out of here with that garbage

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 05:20 PM
So, you expect every hitter to be Mangum? THAT'S your problem. And as I said Lowe and Kruger struggled the first part of the SEC season before adjusting.

Did I say that? No

I know it's hard to defend yourself using our actual words Todd, but try to keep from misquoting

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:21 PM
That was the question he asked you. If you can't answer the question asked, that's on you. I didn't cleverly word anything. Sweet courtesy runner joke, that may get you a step closer to that "internet reputation" you so desperately crave.

And reading my posts might actually give you some baseball knowledge since whoever coached you very little so you'll look like less of a dumbass. And everyone will be happy. Keep "not melting down."

CadaverDawg
03-18-2017, 05:22 PM

Lol, nobody's talking the "SEC season"... we aren't hitting OOC opponents either. And Kruger and others had no issues hitting them while inexperienced. Stop spinning

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Did I say that? No

I know it's hard to defend yourself using our actual words Todd, but try to keep from misquoting

I believe the actual quote from you was "haha him, Kruger, and Mangum. The 100 AB's comment was mind boggling iyam." I'm using your actual words. You're cherry picking- like your buddy misstate7 did.

You want a spade to be called a spade- except if that spade shows you that you are wrong.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:27 PM
After a red hot start. Get out of here with that garbage

A red hot start against non-power five teams. Even our "shitty hitting" right now can put up runs and can hit that right now. We didn't lose to Morehead State and Marist because we lacked offense.

Todd4State
03-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Lol, nobody's talking the "SEC season"... we aren't hitting OOC opponents either. And Kruger and others had no issues hitting them while inexperienced. Stop spinning

This year we are averaging 8.1 runs per game against non power five opponents- that includes La Tech a top 25 team.

We averaged 7.8 runs against all OOC opponents including Oregon, Texas Tech, with all of the other OOC teams we played.

We averaged 4.0 runs per game against Texas Tech and Oregon only.

I'm not spinning- I'm telling the truth, or calling a spade a spade.

Percho
03-18-2017, 06:48 PM

There is a very good reason the man said, "That's baseball."