PDA

View Full Version : So Russell practiced today

civildawg
09-10-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm going to be pissed if he starts, nothing against him personally

Political Hack
09-10-2013, 06:30 PM
you do realize he's the only starting QB to beat Auburn in the last half decade or so, right?

Rick Danko
09-10-2013, 06:58 PM
you do realize he's the only starting QB to beat Auburn in the last half decade or so, right?

What was their record that year again...?

Political Hack
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM
What was their record that year again...?

about the same it will be this year.

BeastMan
09-10-2013, 07:10 PM
about the same it will be this year.

i disagree. I think they go bowling. They won 2 games last year

codeDawg
09-10-2013, 07:13 PM
i disagree. I think they go bowling. They won 2 games last year

...and he won that at home #matters

Coach34
09-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Every SEC QB on Auburn's schedule beat them last year. And I'll remind people they did not score an offensive TD either

Political Hack
09-10-2013, 07:21 PM
hyperbole.

I do think TR gives us our best chance to win though.

Political Hack
09-10-2013, 07:21 PM
... "IF".... he's healthy and sharp.

bocfarm
09-10-2013, 07:38 PM
I agree with this as well and to add if the playcalling is much better than the osu game.

msstate7
09-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I have no issue with TR starting bc I think Dan will go with dak if needed. When Dan burned shump's redshirt that told me he's feeling some pressure to win. I think Dan is about to coach with some urgency

mic
09-10-2013, 07:41 PM
They both will play , and hopefully both will play well..

msstate7
09-10-2013, 07:46 PM
They both will play , and hopefully both will play well..

I like our offense more with dak, but I think TR is gonna carve auburn up sat night.

cheewgumm
09-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Exactly!!! And why!? Because we got beat by ok state.

This is why playing ok state was good. Our head coach feels pressure to win that he otherwise would not have felt had we simply squeezed by Troy in the first game. So we will be better against auburn than we otherwise would have been.

Coach34
09-10-2013, 07:49 PM
I agree with this as well and to add if the playcalling is much better than the osu game.

If Russell plays- we will get the same playcalling we've had since Bama
If Dak plays- we will get the playcalling we had vs Alcorn

sbcmortgageman
09-10-2013, 07:49 PM
I think TR is not 100%. Otherwise he wouldn't have burned Damion's redshirt. Coward could've run the score up on ASU. I still think Dak gets majority of snaps with TR starting, and having a short leash.

Coach34
09-10-2013, 07:52 PM
When Dan burned shump's redshirt that told me he's feeling some pressure to win. I think Dan is about to coach with some urgency

They had planned to play Shump all along. That decision was made in August- not after Ok State...Mullen doesnt feel any more pressure than he normally would...people saying this because saying it makes them feel better- nothing more

BHildreth3
09-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Auburn doesn't fear our WR group, or Tyler.....so same ole shit they will stack the box, we won't be able to run consistently and Tyler will throw picks. Can't wait

cheewgumm
09-10-2013, 07:53 PM
This sux if true. I want our coach to feel pressure .

Coach34
09-10-2013, 07:53 PM
I think TR is not 100%. Otherwise he wouldn't have burned Damion's redshirt. Coward could've run the score up on ASU. I still think Dak gets majority of snaps with TR starting, and having a short leash.

If Russell's not 100% he wont play- the Dr wont clear them until they pass specific tests. Being cleared for limited practice and being cleared for games are two different animals

smootness
09-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Auburn doesn't fear our WR group, or Tyler.....so same ole shit they will stack the box, we won't be able to run consistently and Tyler will throw picks. Can't wait

Yeah, it was crazy last year with his 0 picks and his 3 TDs.

deltadawg99
09-10-2013, 08:00 PM
If Russell is 100% he will start. HOPEFULLY, Dan has enough sense to run a 2 QB system to keep other defenses on their heels.

Russell is not the problem, the play calling is the problem.

msstate7
09-10-2013, 08:01 PM

Our fan base is full of poor, poor pitiful mes. Auburn is a decent team, but it's not like we're going to Oregon sat night. This is a game we can win and 90% of our fans have it chalked up as a loss. What a bunch of pussies

Coach34
09-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Our fan base is full of poor, poor pitiful mes. Auburn is a decent team, but it's not like we're going to Oregon sat night. This is a game we can win and 90% of our fans have it chalked up as a loss. What a bunch of pussies

It's more along the lines of we havent beaten a team with a winning record with Russell at QB except MTSU. Auburn should have a winning record this year

smootness
09-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah, but in the SEC lately you're usually either playing sub-.500 team or one of the top 10 teams in the country. Ole Miss was an exception, but Auburn isn't going to be very good. We can absolutely beat them.

Political Hack
09-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Russell has also never lost to a team that didn't finish the season ranked.

FlabLoser
09-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Somebody's glass is half full.

I like Russell. All that bothers me about him is the crappy play calls (or audibles) that conincide with him. And sets that produce no running game.

Coach34
09-10-2013, 09:10 PM

2012 Ole Miss wasnt ranked- they were 7-6

BHildreth3
09-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Look I'm not a negative fan, but this auburn team is nothing like last years squad. I'm not saying we can't win, but our coaches SUCK with the run game with Tyler at QB. Until I see improvements in a game, with Tyler, then I'm going to say that I don't like our chances of out scoring a Malzahn team...without controlling the clock. A running QB like Dak gives us the best opportunity based on what I've seen so far.

BHildreth3
09-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Somebody's glass is half full.

I like Russell. All that bothers me about him is the crappy play calls (or audibles) that conincide with him. And sets that produce no running game.

Bingo - I posted without reading your post...just ****ing call plays with several RBs in the game...use motion....****ing use decoys...we just don't know how to mix it up with him in the game.

engie
09-10-2013, 09:18 PM

Agree with this...

Political Hack
09-10-2013, 09:21 PM
2012 Ole Miss wasnt ranked- they were 7-6

I'm pretty sure they won the national recruiting championship.

engie
09-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Did Chris Relf?

TUSK
09-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure if MSU or Auburn sucks more.... but I do know this... if MSU is gonna clip Auburn, you cats better do it pretty quickly... AU won't sit around for very long (and suck)... they will do what they've done forever... cheat, and cheat overtly (but well). yall need to get em now, bc they won't be down for much longer.

Political Hack
09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Did Chris Relf?

I don't think CDM has lost to more than 3-4 unranked teams total.

BhamDawg
09-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Russell is not the problem, the play calling is the problem.

Bingo, give this man a prize.

Goat Holder
09-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm with PHack, Russell absolutely gives us our best chance to beat Auburn. Just sucks he wasn't able to play vs. Alcorn and get a little more live action to settle down. Dak's almost there, but he's not ready to go win an SEC game on the road. He'll have his time, it's just not now.

Dawg61
09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Not scared, we have juice points

chef dixon
09-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I don't think CDM has lost to more than 3-4 unranked teams total.

One thing Mullen has done that people forget about it is pretty much eliminating the bad loss. No more Maine, Troy, Tulane type losses (some have been close though). I'm not exactly sure his record but I'd say we've won almost every game we've been favored in since he got here, maybe Auburn 2011? This is one of the reasons I think we've got to appreciate this guy as our head coach considering we were good for 1-2 of these type ass beatings a year prior to his arrival.

sbcmortgageman
09-11-2013, 04:24 AM
They had planned to play Shump all along. That decision was made in August- not after Ok State...Mullen doesnt feel any more pressure than he normally would...people saying this because saying it makes them feel better- nothing more

Political Hack begs to differ about Mullen. He says Mullen is done.

Political Hack
09-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Political Hack begs to differ about Mullen. He says Mullen is done.

tough. you must be made of iron.

I want CDM to stay as long as Beamer has at VaTech, but I've been told Slive wants him out and by the looks of things Strick is either too naive or too scared to help protect him. We went from a 1AA type school and Vandy to Okie State and South Carolina in a matter of weeks. If you like bending over and saying thank you, you're probably hanging with the right company on your other board.

engdawg04
09-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Amen

smootness
09-11-2013, 07:55 AM
And why would Slive want him out?

sbcmortgageman
09-11-2013, 08:04 AM
tough. you must be made of iron.
I want CDM to stay as long as Beamer has at VaTech, but I've been told Slive wants him out and by the looks of things Strick is either too naive or too scared to help protect him. We went from a 1AA type school and Vandy to Okie State and South Carolina in a matter of weeks. If you like bending over and saying thank you, you're probably hanging with the right company on your other board.

Why are you so sensitive? I was stating a fact that came outta your mouth. I didn't say whether you were right or you are wrong. I stated what you said. Get your panties out your ass and I'll post anywhere I damn well please.

RTO Dawg
09-11-2013, 08:05 AM
I have no issue with TR starting bc I think Dan will go with dak if needed. When Dan burned shump's redshirt that told me he's feeling some pressure to win. I think Dan is about to coach with some urgency

+1

CJDAWG85
09-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Auburn's biggest liability on D is their secondary. Both teams's WR's so far this year have been sub par, which causes both D's to focus a heavy portion on the running game. We shut down OSU's "dynamic" passing attack so they almost completely abandoned it. We need to carve them up through the air to open up the run game. TR is our better passing QB. If he can get going and be sharp and play calls are good, then we come out of their with a W. I do think Dak should play, but a big road game in the SEC you have to start experience.

Political Hack
09-11-2013, 08:44 AM
Why are you so sensitive? I was stating a fact that came outta your mouth. I didn't say whether you were right or you are wrong. I stated what you said. Get your panties out your ass and I'll post anywhere I damn well please.

You have my permission to post anywhere you please.

Coach34
09-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Auburn's biggest liability on D is their secondary. .

This was also the case vs Ok State

sbcmortgageman
09-11-2013, 09:07 AM
You have my permission to post anywhere you please.

Thank you. Now proceed with your day.

Political Hack
09-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Thank you. Now proceed with your day.

thank you for granting me permission to proceed with my day.

sbcmortgageman
09-11-2013, 09:10 AM
thank you for granting me permission to proceed with my day.

No problemo. Remember, iron sharpens iron Hack.

Johnson85
09-11-2013, 09:17 AM
(1) If he can get going and be sharp and (2) play calls are good
The chances that both of those conditions are satisfied is pretty slim, mainly because the lack of (2) will help prevent (1) from happening.

Bubb Rubb
09-11-2013, 10:27 AM

You realize that against Alcorn, we were basically playing against air?

You know, regardless of what you think, it is possible that the coaching staff actually believes we are a better team with Russell at QB. And you've said many times, "In Mullen We Trust," so how about you practice what you preach and support whoever is playing Saturday night. Mullen will play whomever gives us the best chance to win. If it's Dak, great. If it's Russell, great. We really need to stop shitting on Russell.

Political Hack
09-11-2013, 10:30 AM
You realize that against Alcorn, we were basically playing against air?

You know, regardless of what you think, it is possible that the coaching staff actually believes we are a better team with Russell at QB. And you've said many times, "In Mullen We Trust," so how about you practice what you preach and support whoever is playing Saturday night. Mullen will play whomever gives us the best chance to win. If it's Dak, great. If it's Russell, great. We really need to stop shitting on Russell.

this is my basic philosophy. I've tried not to crap on Dak while also suggesting that I don't think he's quite ready to be our total package QB. TR can't run like Ron Dayne, but Dak can't throw like Tom Brady. I think CDM will have a good idea of which he'd rather give up and which gives us the best chance to win.

sleepy dawg
09-11-2013, 10:52 AM

Tyler is going to start if healthy enough... You may as well get pissed now so you can attempt to enjoy the game on Saturday.

HancockCountyDog
09-11-2013, 11:00 AM
this is my basic philosophy. I've tried not to crap on Dak while also suggesting that I don't think he's quite ready to be our total package QB. TR can't run like Ron Dayne, but Dak can't throw like Tom Brady. I think CDM will have a good idea of which he'd rather give up and which gives us the best chance to win.

Look, I started #TeamDak, and even I have to agree with some version of this. I firmly believe that Dak is the best thing for our football team, but its hard to say that he has firmly established that based on the results on the field. The Alcorn game was a joke, and it wasn't like he was carving up even a half way decent secondary.

For Dak to get the job and keep it, two things will need to happen on Saturday. Russell has a massively poor performance in the first half, and Dak has a much better performance in the 2nd half. The only problem that I see, is that we can't simply sacrifice a half against AU and still win, we simply aren't that good of a team.

My concern is that we get down in the first half, and then put Dak in and ask him to be a passer, which is simply setting him up to fail. Hopefully that won't happen.

Coach34
09-11-2013, 11:03 AM
My concern is that we get down in the first half, and then put Dak in and ask him to be a passer, which is simply setting him up to fail. Hopefully that won't happen.

This is my concern as well.

Political Hack
09-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I would like to see both play, mostly to limit TR's risks but also to see how both perform on the road in the SEC.

engie
09-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I'd like to see it basically be an open competition on the field in the first half. Go with a true two QB system like OK State did at first -- find something that works -- and stick with it...

msstate7
09-11-2013, 11:52 AM
I'd like to see it basically be an open competition on the field in the first half. Go with a true two QB system like OK State did at first -- find something that works -- and stick with it...

That's a good idea.

Barking 13
09-11-2013, 11:58 AM

You mean like after the first interception?:p

Bothrops
09-11-2013, 12:30 PM
I think we stick with Russell until he fails to get us in the red zone, or if he's unable to hack and disaster occurs early in the game. If not, and we are able to score 10 points in the first half, Dak will continue his role as a short yardage/red zone package qb. That is, if we can limit them to 14 or less points in the first half. If that's the case, I don't expect us to change anything on offense at halftime.

msstate7
09-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I think we stick with Russell until he fails to get us in the red zone, or if he's unable to hack and disaster occurs early in the game. If not, and we are able to score 10 points in the first half, Dak will continue his role as a short yardage/red zone package qb. That is, if we can limit them to 14 or less points in the first half. If that's the case, I don't expect us to change anything on offense at halftime.

I think you'll see dak with some play action on one of those short yardages for a big play

Bothrops
09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I certainly hope so. If both Tyler and Dak can create big plays on third down situations, the game is in the coaches hands at that point.

Bubb Rubb
09-11-2013, 12:59 PM
That's a good idea.

It's a great idea....IF we run an offense with each that's geared to what they do well. If our playcalling and situational adjustments don't improve, neither of them will be successful, although Dak may be a little better because he can make more happen with his feet if things break down. I'd just like to see us reach our true potential, no matter which QB is in there.

cheewgumm
09-11-2013, 01:24 PM
I think leaking about Russell practicing is a trick to send a message to Auburn. Totally guessing, but I bet he is totally out this weekend as to not take any chancees. I think if he is in the pros, he plays, but in college they are probably safer. I think they are jsut doing this to screw up Auburn.

Johnson85
09-11-2013, 01:24 PM
We really need to stop shitting on Russell.

That wasn't shitting on Russel. That was calling out the play calling. I'm sure there are a few idiots that actually have a problem with Russell, but I'm pretty sure that for 95%+ of our fans, the opinion ranges from great bulldog who is a solid qb but not a good fit for our offense to great bulldog who would be a very good qb for us if we weren't screwing him over with poor play calling, subpar wr's, and a subpar running game.

I'm more pissed for Tyler Russell than for anyone. The guy has done everything the right way, being a good teammate while waiting for his chance to run the team, and despite the fact that Mullen has had five years to prepare for this, we are totally clueless as to how to use Russell now that it's his senior year. Russell deserved better than the effort our coaches gave at fixing this offense in the off season.

msstate7
09-11-2013, 01:29 PM
. I think if he is in the pros, he plays, but in college they are probably safer

Don't tell Franklin at vandy. I lost a lot of respect for him not looking out for Matthews' nfl career.

Barking 13
09-11-2013, 01:34 PM
That wasn't shitting on Russel. That was calling out the play calling. I'm sure there are a few idiots that actually have a problem with Russell, but I'm pretty sure that for 95%+ of our fans, the opinion ranges from great bulldog who is a solid qb but not a good fit for our offense to great bulldog who would be a very good qb for us if we weren't screwing him over with poor play calling, subpar wr's, and a subpar running game.

I'm more pissed for Tyler Russell than for anyone. The guy has done everything the right way, being a good teammate while waiting for his chance to run the team, and despite the fact that Mullen has had five years to prepare for this, we are totally clueless as to how to use Russell now that it's his senior year. Russell deserved better than the effort our coaches gave at fixing this offense in the off season.

give this fella a cigar...

Bubb Rubb
09-11-2013, 01:36 PM

I appreciate what you are saying, but a lot of people are shitting on him. He's a statue, he holds the ball too long, he throws too many interceptions, Dak is better, we're a better team with Dak, blah blah blah. I've been saying all along that I think the coaching staff has a better handle on that than anyone on a message board. If they think Dak is the better option, that's who will play, and if they think Tyler is the better option, that's who will play. I've never been a guy who has been hyper protective of players....if someone deserves criticism, we should be allowed to call him out. But I just feel like criticism for Russell is over the top. I'd rather just trust that Mullen knows what's best and plays the right guy. If things continue to deteriorate offensively, the coaching problems will take care of themselves. Ultimately I think playcalling is what is victimizing Russell, and it will victimize Dak too if we go with him unless we drastically change some things. My humble opinion of course.

Barking 13
09-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I appreciate what you are saying, but a lot of people are shitting on him. He's a statue, he holds the ball too long, he throws too many interceptions, Dak is better, we're a better team with Dak, blah blah blah. I've been saying all along that I think the coaching staff has a better handle on that than anyone on a message board. If they think Dak is the better option, that's who will play, and if they think Tyler is the better option, that's who will play. I've never been a guy who has been hyper protective of players....if someone deserves criticism, we should be allowed to call him out. But I just feel like criticism for Russell is over the top. I'd rather just trust that Mullen knows what's best and plays the right guy. If things continue to deteriorate offensively, the coaching problems will take care of themselves. Ultimately I think playcalling is what is victimizing Russell, and it will victimize Dak too if we go with him unless we drastically change some things. My humble opinion of course.

another cigar...

drunkernhelldawg
09-11-2013, 01:52 PM

I'm almost certain he'll start. Maybe the public is right and Dak would give us a better chance, but I'll be amazed if DM yanks him for one poor performance, a performance for which the coaches are as or more responsible than the player.

I DM does that, he really risks credibility with his team. How would that not be wishy-washy?

slickdawg
09-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Dan already stated if Tyler is cleared by the doctors, he will start.

Todd4State
09-11-2013, 01:59 PM

I agree with this, as well as what Johnson was saying as well. If Dak starts, the play calling is not going to change, and it's going to look like what we saw against Oklahoma State.

msstate7
09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Dan already stated if Tyler is cleared by the doctors, he will start.
Well since doctors are OM fans they'll clear him so we'll get beat. J/k. I hope he is cleared. I think TR can light up auburn's secondary

Todd4State
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
No problemo. Remember, iron sharpens iron Hack.

So, tearing down State fans and in the process hurting MSU is "iron sharpening iron"?

Sounds like someone really needs to study that Bible verse and the meaning of that scripture.

SignalToNoise
09-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Well since doctors are OM fans they'll clear him so we'll get beat. J/k. I hope he is cleared. I think TR can light up auburn's secondary

If the Tyler that threw for ~300 against LSU shows up then he'll carve up AU for sure. I would love to see that Tyler again.

slickdawg
09-11-2013, 02:32 PM
So, tearing down State fans and in the process hurting MSU is "iron sharpening iron"?

Sounds like someone really needs to study that Bible verse and the meaning of that scripture.

People need to quit taking their iron and hacking at each other. One state, one direction, it is that easy.

smootness
09-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Don't tell Franklin at vandy. I lost a lot of respect for him not looking out for Matthews' nfl career.

Huh? How was he potentially damaging Matthews' future career? Matthews didn't have a concussion and never had any symptoms; he vomited because he was dehydrated. If it weren't for the announcers just assuming he was concussed, it wouldn't have been a big deal at all.

Coach34
09-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Matthews threw up cause he was loaded down with water and got hit in the gut on that catch

fishwater99
09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Not so sure, his head snapped back when it hit the ground.. It also looked like he didn't know where he was..

Coach 57
09-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Huh? How was he potentially damaging Matthews' future career? Matthews didn't have a concussion and never had any symptoms; he vomited because he was dehydrated. If it weren't for the announcers just assuming he was concussed, it wouldn't have been a big deal at all.

Had a UM guy argue me up & down that Franklin should've been fired because of the "concussion". As stated here he was NEVER concussed! The flippin' announcers pumped it up. He was dehydrated as most kids are in the south this yr who are playing football. It was hot & humid in Nashville that night.

Jack Lambert
09-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I think Arburn is going to get a whole lot of running by a lot of different guys.

Todd4State
09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Had a UM guy argue me up & down that Franklin should've been fired because of the "concussion". As stated here he was NEVER concussed! The flippin' announcers pumped it up. He was dehydrated as most kids are in the south this yr who are playing football. It was hot & humid in Nashville that night.

Why anyone would take medical advice from Matt Millen....or football advice either for that matter- is beyond me.

msstate7
09-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Not so sure, his head snapped back when it hit the ground.. It also looked like he didn't know where he was..

It took one play to make sure he wasn't concussed. I hope he wasn't. Makes me feel better hearing matthews wasn't anyway

msstate7
09-11-2013, 03:28 PM

Korey stringer formerly of the Vikings says dehydration can be serious.

Dawgface
09-11-2013, 05:11 PM

No he won't. He will do the same old crap, put Dak in for short yardage situations and that is it.

Todd4State
09-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Korey stringer formerly of the Vikings says dehydration can be serious.

Actually, the reason why Matthews threw up was because Vanderbilt overdid putting fluids in him to prevent dehydration.

Coach 57
09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Actually, the reason why Matthews threw up was because Vanderbilt overdid putting fluids in him to prevent dehydration.

^^^^^ding.....ding......ding.....Todd gets a prize!

RougeDawg
09-11-2013, 09:53 PM
If the Tyler that threw for ~300 against LSU shows up then he'll carve up AU for sure. I would love to see that Tyler again.

I think this Tyler you speak of, left the team last November in Tuscaloosa.

sbcmortgageman
09-12-2013, 04:29 AM

Remind me again who is tearing down state fans and hurtling MSU? I missed that part.

Political Hack
09-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Remind me again who is tearing down state fans and hurtling MSU? I missed that part.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,

sbcmortgageman
09-12-2013, 07:57 AM
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,

7? How?

msstate7
09-12-2013, 08:04 AM
7? How?

Leave me out of this... J/k carry on

Barking 13
09-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Y'all get a room....