PDA

View Full Version : 2017 OL

GTHOM
03-16-2017, 05:55 PM
As its been stated on here many times the OL will make or break us in 2017, everything else is there to be a pretty good team, IMO. I think we have the potential to be one of the better OLs we have had under Mullen. It may take them a little while to gel but I think the ceiling is pretty high. Who do yall think the starting 5 will be? I got

C Williams
RG Story
LG Calhoun
RT Jenkins
LT Rankin

Obviously RG worries me the most but the others I feel will be pretty solid. This is assuming Williams is 100 percent

AROB44
03-16-2017, 06:30 PM
And......here we go again....

msbulldog
03-16-2017, 06:31 PM
I hope it doesn't take to long gel, we have some tough games early. I like your line-up. +1

Liverpooldawg
03-16-2017, 06:49 PM
How many times is it possible to beat a dead horse to death, AGAIN?

GTHOM
03-16-2017, 07:42 PM

Come at me bro

GTHOM
03-16-2017, 07:44 PM
I hope it doesn't take to long gel, we have some tough games early. I like your line-up. +1

Yeah. That LSU game is a big time they need to be at least decent against them I feel like we can stop them some but we're gonna struggle to score if we cant run it

1bigdawg
03-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Whoever it is, they will be the best and have the best statistics you can imagine because Hev is an amazing coach. signed Mstate7 **

fader2103
03-16-2017, 08:20 PM
It's gonna be horrible just god awful horrible all because of Hevesy and his recruiting. All you need to know ****

Todd4State
03-16-2017, 10:18 PM

He just asked what people thought our projected o-line would be.

Todd4State
03-16-2017, 10:19 PM
LT- Eiland
LG- Calhoun
C- Rankin
RG- Story
RT- Jenkins

Just a guess and probably not correct.

GTHOM
03-16-2017, 10:58 PM
LT- Eiland
LG- Calhoun
C- Rankin
RG- Story
RT- Jenkins

Just a guess and probably not correct.

I think we go there if Williams isnt ready. I like Tommy Champion but is he ready to be an SEC starting tackle? Eiland has some big upside

Todd4State
03-16-2017, 11:20 PM
I think we go there if Williams isnt ready. I like Tommy Champion but is he ready to be an SEC starting tackle? Eiland has some big upside

Honestly, Daryl Williams neck injury was so scary I would honestly be scared to play him if I was a coach. I don't mind him being on the team or anything like that- but it's just concerning. I think Champion is going to be a guard and I don't expect him to start this year- but I think he could and probably will next year. I think Phillips will be an OT- but I don't think he plays next year either and if Eiland does well and obviously Jenkins coming back- certainly could be moved to center himself next year- I'm not sure that he will start until his senior year if at all.

state66
03-16-2017, 11:37 PM
I dont think Rankin is our center in 2017. Seems more like Mullen preparing for a what if situation if we have injuries. With Jenkins and Calhoun out its hard to judge the line during the spring.

lamont
03-17-2017, 03:14 AM

Considering we moved Rankin to C this Spring and have Williams at RG and not working at C- it appears we don't plan to play him there. So it looks like Calhoun or Rankin is going to play Center this Fall.

lamont
03-17-2017, 03:16 AM

Champion is a Guard and very unlikely to start anywhere

thf24
03-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Has there been a single spring in which Mullen didn't work at least one OL at a spot he never ended up playing? It's not impossible Rankin ends up at C, but precedent says spring practice is a very poor indicator on who plays where on the OL the following season.

Ari Gold
03-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Calhoun will be at center ..
Rankin will be at T
The concern is if Calhoun goes down.. if that happens and we have to move Rankin to C shame on Hevesy .. a mother ****ing shame ..

Ari Gold
03-17-2017, 08:39 AM
I am hearing how good the Reese kids is . Wouldn't be shocked to see him get lots of snaps and he will be in the 2 deep.
Thank you Tbuck ...

maroonmania
03-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Honestly, Daryl Williams neck injury was so scary I would honestly be scared to play him if I was a coach. I don't mind him being on the team or anything like that- but it's just concerning. I think Champion is going to be a guard and I don't expect him to start this year- but I think he could and probably will next year. I think Phillips will be an OT- but I don't think he plays next year either and if Eiland does well and obviously Jenkins coming back- certainly could be moved to center himself next year- I'm not sure that he will start until his senior year if at all.

Well if we are scared to play Williams because of him being at risk for injury then we just need to place him on medical scholarship and move on. He's got 3 more years so he can't just take up a roster spot on scholly. If he's not been medically cleared he shouldn't be out there anyway. Hopefully what happened was just a freakish sort of thing.

lamont
03-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Williams is running 1st team RG right now. He is fine.

I think we end up starting:

LT- Rankin
LG- Jenkins
C- Calhoun
RG- Williams/Story
RT- Reese/Eiland

We just don't really have depth. Can't afford to get anybody hurt- especially early.

Johnson85
03-17-2017, 10:10 AM

LT- Rankin
LG- Jenkins
C- Calhoun
RG- Williams/Story
RT- Reese/Eiland

We just don't really have depth. Can't afford to get anybody hurt- especially early.

This looks like the best case scenario and doesn't scare me except for depth. We will actually be good from center through left tackle. The right side is more concerning, but hopefully we can use some TE blocking there to help and we have a mobile QB so hopefully if they are subpar, our QB can at least avoid getting killed.

The depth issue is pretty scary. We basically have 4 players on offense where if we lost them, it'd be catastrophic. The QB (which most teams face), then Calhoun, then Rankin, then Jenkins. Maybe Jenkins wouldn't be catatrophic if Williams and Story are decent guards.

Tripp McNeely
03-17-2017, 10:11 AM

LT- Rankin
LG- Jenkins
C- Calhoun
RG- Williams/Story
RT- Reese/Eiland

I LOVE that starting five!!

lamont
03-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Only problem is Calhoun is not getting Spring reps. He hasn't played a snap in college at Center- plus no Spring work. So he will be good and green come September

Political Hack
03-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Imo, coming back from a neck injury would be a lot easier at OG than it would be at center. Something else to consider...

maroonmania
03-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Well I'm just glad we didn't push for a commitment from Cole Smith. Its obvious from our depth chart that we are in no need of help at Center.****

lamont
03-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Biggest problem I see and who I think we start the season 2-3:

Calhoun hasn't played a snap at Center
Our RT hasn't played a college snap

That's not a recipe for gelling early

Now it looks like Dear is out in the Slot- further declining our WR talent. Really need the D to get its feet under them early

lamont
03-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Well I'm just glad we didn't push for a commitment from Cole Smith. Its obvious from our depth chart that we are in no need of help at Center.****

That's what bothers me about that whole scenario. Why not sign a Center instead of having to train guys new to the position.

dawgday166
03-17-2017, 11:49 AM
That's what bothers me about that whole scenario. Why not sign a Center instead of having to train guys new to the position.

Gonna play devil's advocate for Mullen/Hev here (Gawd I hate it/it's killing me ****).

Cole didn't play center I don't believe last year. He's playing LT in his video. He's projected as a center tho. He's listed I believe at 6"4 275. So I'm guessing Mullen/Hev may think that if he don't pan out at center then he'll never crack the lineup. He sure moves pretty good tho.

He looks to me like he could easily put on 25 - 35 lbs. Go look at the Cowboys roster. Tyron Smith the LT is 6'5" 320. Look at their guards. Look at OSU's line from 2014. At the least I believe Cole could play G.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Cole has never played Center either. He's just projected as a center.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2017, 12:05 PM
I'll go

LT - Rankin
LG - Reese/Champion
C - Calhoun
RG - Story
RT - Jenkins

maroonmania
03-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Cole has never played Center either. He's just projected as a center.

That's laughable that we would even bring that up as an issue. I'm sure Martinas Rankin has had loads of experience at Center. We move people around like its musical chairs.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2017, 12:13 PM
That's laughable that we would even bring that up as an issue. I'm sure Martinas Rankin has had loads of experience at Center. We move people around like its musical chairs.

Post from Random "That's what bothers me about that whole scenario. Why not sign a Center instead of having to train guys new to the position."

I was responding to him about Cole Smith & having to train guys. Cole would have to be trained too. I never said or insinuated it was an issue. I was letting him know that Cole wasn't a center either.

maroonmania
03-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Post from Random "That's what bothers me about that whole scenario. Why not sign a Center instead of having to train guys new to the position."

I was responding to him about Cole Smith & having to train guys. Cole would have to be trained too. I never said or insinuated it was an issue. I was letting him know that Cole wasn't a center either.

Understand, I was just responding to the premise that we are perhaps hesitant to offer because he would have to move positions. I just find that humorous given the way we move guys around on the OL at the drop of a hat.

GTHOM
03-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Considering we moved Rankin to C this Spring and have Williams at RG and not working at C- it appears we don't plan to play him there. So it looks like Calhoun or Rankin is going to play Center this Fall.

I'd rather have calhoun there than Rankin

Johnson85
03-17-2017, 12:24 PM
I'll go

LT - Rankin
LG - Reese/Champion
C - Calhoun
RG - Story
RT - Jenkins

Since it looks like Reese is considered (by message board posters at least) to be likely to fill one of the two to go along with Calhoun, Jenkins, and Rankin, what is the story on him?

He showing good things in practice and looking to be a good OL for us that gives us three years of starting duty? Or is it another example of a solid OL having to start one year too early because of shitty OL recruiting (ala Clausell, Jenkins, Clayborne, etc.)

GTHOM
03-17-2017, 12:25 PM

LT- Rankin
LG- Jenkins
C- Calhoun
RG- Williams/Story
RT- Reese/Eiland

4 out of the 5 have shown they can be effective. RT concerns me more than the others. But I agree 1 or 2 injuries could make the difference in 6-6 or 9-3

Todd4State
03-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Gonna play devil's advocate for Mullen/Hev here (Gawd I hate it/it's killing me ****).

Cole didn't play center I don't believe last year. He's playing LT in his video. He's projected as a center tho. He's listed I believe at 6"4 275. So I'm guessing Mullen/Hev may think that if he don't pan out at center then he'll never crack the lineup. He sure moves pretty good tho.

He looks to me like he could easily put on 25 - 35 lbs. Go look at the Cowboys roster. Tyron Smith the LT is 6'5" 320. Look at their guards. Look at OSU's line from 2014. At the least I believe Cole could play G.

I assumed RP was talking about a JUCO center or something.

lamont
03-17-2017, 12:55 PM
I'll go

LT - Rankin
LG - Reese/Champion
C - Calhoun
RG - Story
RT - Jenkins

That could certainly happen- except for Champion. However if we planned to play Reese at OG- I think he would be working there this Spring. That's why I kept him at RT. It's not very smart to work a rookie at a position all-Spring that he won't play in the Fall

NCDawg
03-17-2017, 01:01 PM
I think Rankin and Jenkins may be pretty good; possibly Calhoun, also. The rest we don't know about. Certainly the weakest position group on the team, and probably not good enough to get us to the SEC Championship game, which we all want.

Ifyouonlyknew
03-17-2017, 01:06 PM
That could certainly happen- except for Champion. However if we planned to play Reese at OG- I think he would be working there this Spring. That's why I kept him at RT. It's not very smart to work a rookie at a position all-Spring that he won't play in the Fall

Yea I know how you feel about Champion. He has a mean streak I wish a few of our other OL had though. I would love for Reese or Eiland to be good enough to plug into RT. I'm just not ready to say that yet. If they can it makes our OL a lot better.

Tbonewannabe
03-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Didn't Jenkins play his best at LG? With him and Rankin on the left side, we got a lot better on the Oline. Rankin has even been mentioned as a possible All SEC type LT (probably 2nd or 3rd team) and getting drafted mid to early rounds. I would think if Reese is capable of holding down RT then it would be the best thing to keep the Left side intact. Story has experience at Guard so you would only be breaking in 2 brand new starters with Calhoun having experience just not at Center. Jenkins also has starting experience at RT so either way it is a puzzle for Hev to put together. He has some decent pieces but not having the whole line going thru spring sucks. Makes our typical tough stretch of taking the first few months to gel on the Oline.

Johnson85
03-17-2017, 01:07 PM
I think Rankin and Jenkins may be pretty good; possibly Calhoun, also. The rest we don't know about. Certainly the weakest position group on the team, and probably not good enough to get us to the SEC Championship game, which we all want.

We really just need two new OL to be good for this to avoid being the weakest position group (ignoring injuries and depth). If say Williams and Reese are both as good or better than Calhoun, then we are actually pretty solid for OL starters, whereas our wide receivers are probably the weakest they've been since 2013. A mediocre OL is just harder to overcome than a mediocre receiving corp.

dawgday166
03-17-2017, 01:13 PM
We really just need two new OL to be good for this to avoid being the weakest position group (ignoring injuries and depth). If say Williams and Reese are both as good or better than Calhoun, then we are actually pretty solid for OL starters, whereas our wide receivers are probably the weakest they've been since 2013. A mediocre OL is just harder to overcome than a mediocre receiving corp.

Don't know why **** but skill players always look pretty darn good behind a bunch of studs on the OL. Especially in college.